The Coldest Summer✓

By Geegervy

"I'm a terrible dancer," I whisper. "And I guess the cowboy is much better than the city girl." My sarcasm is... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-two
Twenty-three
Twenty-four
Twenty-five
Twenty-six
Twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty
Thirty-one
Thirty-two
Thirty-three
Thirty-four
Thirty-five
Thirty-six
Thirty-seven
Thirty-eight
Thirty-nine
Forty
Forty-one
Forty-two
Forty-three
Forty-four
Forty-five
Forty-six
Forty-seven
Forty-eight
Forty-nine
Fifty
Fifty-one
Fifty-two
Fifty-three
Fifty-four
Fifty-five
Fifty-six
Fifty-seven
Fifty-eight
Fifty-nine
Sixty
Sixty-one
Sixty-two
Sixty-three
Sixty-four
Sixty-five
Sixty-six
Sixty-seven
Sixty-eight
Epilogue

Five

9.3K 682 2K
By Geegervy

I swim in idleness as Sam and Liam talk about business and other uninteresting matters that are probably very important to them. I need something spontaneous; sitting on the porch like an old lady has begun graying my mood.

"I'm not trying to sell you off, Liam. I'm simply stating the facts. They even offer stock options in such cases," Sam rumbles, stifling a laugh at whatever Liam has just told her.

"Well, I suppose we shall see how things work after the proposal we made," Liam replies gently. "Actually, I truly apologize for dragging you into this conversation—I know you're here to relax." He takes a cup of coffee toward his mouth, eyes on Sam.

She flushes slightly, her cheeks pink and her smile as smooth as molasses. "Don't worry, it's just a small talk. It's not like I'm typing the report or something."

How lovely. The Sam I know would kill whoever destroys her idea of having a good time, yet she's here playing professionally. I'm not sure what kind of spell this Englishman uses, but it's shockingly effective.

I clear my throat as I sit straight, wondering what to do next. Liam's eyes meet mine on my quest to refill my coffee mug. I give him a small smile, probably fake.

"Ms. Jones," he calls, smiling back in a similar fashion.

Yes. Totally fake.

"Yes?"

"Are you enjoying your stay, or would you rather I leave you alone with your friend?" he asks politely, his manners full of gallant.

I surely hope he is what he sounds.

"Pardon?" I utter, unsure of what his question is exactly.

"Are you okay?" His eyes narrow, seemingly bemused.

Sam gives me a worried look and I believe I need to focus on anything but my racing thoughts.

"Yes, I am okay. You can carry on with your talk. Pretend I'm not here," I answer, grabbing the newspaper from the table.

No more coffee, for I feel intoxicated now instead of sobering up.

"Kiki," Sam snaps upon my response, a bit chagrined.

"What?" I mouth.

"Not cool," she mouths back.

I smother a laugh, and out of the blue our attention is seized by the heavy whirring sound resembling . . . a helicopter? Instinctively, I throw the newspaper aside and cast my gaze at the grass strewn field stretched from the front yard to wherever I can't fathom.

A black helicopter with a bold 'Chopper 64' imprint slowly lands. Woah! I watch keenly as the grasses overlay each other from the wind until the drones slow down. Astounded, Sam and I exchange glances, wondering who is gracing us with such a grand entrance.

"I can't believe this," Liam mutters in a low voice, his attention on the same thing as ours. "Excuse me, ladies." He gets up to regard this visitor.

I guess? Well, a lot keeps happening here.

A minute or two later, we see a man jumping off the helicopter with a huge smile on his face. He hugs Liam, who smiles back stiffly as though he's allergic to physical contacts. I shrug when Sam glances my way. Whoever this new guy is, he surely looks ritzy and very close to Liam.

They're now approaching the house, and from here I can see the new guy clearly. He's wearing full black: from his sunglasses, his body-fit V-neck shirt that do his slim yet fit body justice, to his skinny jeans. His brown boots seem to have cost a fortune and he's another good-looking thing around here.

"Any idea?" I ask Sam.

"None," she answers.

We stay put as the boys approach, our curiosity shooting beyond range at each second ticking. Big gray eyes regard us as they reach our immediate vicinity, and Liam sighs heavily.

"Hey, Liam." Helicopter guy grins mirthfully. "You never mentioned we have beautiful guests here."

"They're my guests, not yours," Liam replies coolly while resuming his seat, leaving the man of hour on his feet.

"Relax, Brother." Helicopter guy chuckles, paying the slightest attention to Liam's bluntness.

He turns towards Sam. Like all the other men I know, he gives her an interesting look.

Who wouldn't? She's a catch.

"You're not gonna chew me, are you?" Sam asks teasingly, and he bursts out laughing.

I easily join in.

"No, gorgeous. I'm merely appreciating the wonders of the universe. I'm Malik, the only brother of Liam," he says charmingly, his grin impeccable.

"We're not brothers," Liam mutters under his breath, and I stifle a laugh.

I have a feeling this is their usual banter and they surely do sound like brothers.

"Pleasure to meet you, Malik. I'm Samantha," Sam replies with a placid smile.

Malik seems rejuvenated as he kisses her soft knuckles.

Some chivalry here.

"The pleasure is all mine." Malik bows dramatically, his big gray eyes glistening at the beaming sunshine and his own disposition.

He resembles a happy person; his smile so genuine like a child's who sees color in everything.

"So, you're not really Liam's brother, are you?" My friend decides to quench her curiosity.

Yes, girl. Is he? I stay attentive.

Malik glances pointedly at Liam, who shrugs heedlessly in return.

"Unfortunately no," he breathes in a despondent tone of voice.

"Oh? And what are you then?" I think out loud, but I don't regret it.

Malik grins. "We're very best friends, almost like brothers–-Right, Liam?"

"Yeah, sure," Liam says casually, reclining back in his seat.

Oh, Liam! Always grumpy.

Malik moves to my side, nonchalantly, and now that he's close, I grasp that he somehow looks like someone from the Middle East, excluding his eye color and fair skin tone. He has very black and shiny hair, almost curly, thick arched eyebrows, and a very pointed chin. He's probably half-Arab.

Well, we stan for diversity, don't we? I love this.

He stares at me intently and I wonder if I appreciate those charming orbs hooded by long lashes fixing me like the last cake in the display.

"Hi. I'm Kira," I tell him softly, not knowing what else to do in this kind of situation.

Swooned? No, I'm not!

"Kira?" Malik mutters thoughtfully. "Beautiful name. What does it mean?" he asks, which takes me a little by surprise.

This is a first.

"Means the throne, mistress or ruler. Let's say . . . same as queen in Russian," I prompt, and he lifts an amused eyebrow.

"The queen of my heart," he says gallantly, a hand on his chest as he makes a slight bow. I squint my eyes. "I think I've finally found one." He now laughs loudly.

I laugh along. I think he's . . . someone you can't stop smiling being around with. I hope he's not a jerk, though, for looks can be deceiving sometimes.

"I thought you came to speak business," Liam snaps quietly.

"Come on, Liam. Business can wait." Malik waves a dismissive hand in the air, his smile intact. "I'm here to relax and enjoy my summer in peace," he says impishly, sucking in a deep sigh.

He's something else.

"We can give you some space if you have something important to discuss, you know," Sam suggests, and I'm sure she's tired of sitting around like an Indian bride waiting to be tattooed with henna.

"No, no, no, we are not talking business. Don't mind Liam," Malik says strenuously. He then pulls a chair across from mine.

"Of course we are," Liam insists frigidly, his eyes tentative. "Samantha works at Northern Pacific Exporters, and I thought the deal was-"

"You do?" Malik retorts, eyeing my friend like he's just seeing her for the first time.

Oh wow! That escalated quickly. I just sit cross-legged, skimming through the New York Times as though I'm a bit interested in American politics.

"Yes, but I'm not giving you any confidential information, if that's what your excitement suggests," Sam booms, and I laugh out loud.

They all throw a glance at the crazy me. Honestly, I think it's my cue to find some adventure of my own.

"Sorry," I tell them politely. "That was excellent, sweetie. Be professional." I get up with my laughter, ready to go wherever my spontaneity leads me to.

"Have we just been snapped, Bro?" Malik asks with a dazzled smile, amusement so evident in his voice.

"I guess," says Liam gently, his voice as precarious as usual. I can't tell his true emotions. Our eyes collide as I place the newspaper on the table, and my breath hitches. "I'd hate to admit it, but it does sound a bit offensive, Samantha," he adds, serious in manners.

Really, now? Why is he taking it too seriously, though?

"I didn't mean to sound rude, Liam. It's just that—" Sam stammers, twiddling her fingers.

I just stare, amazed. It's epic seeing Sam fretting over a guy, and I can't tell why. Is she that serious about Liam? I can't help but wonder how deep it is.

"She was merely rendering a warning, gentlemen," I butt in, still at my feet. "It's two against one, and it's totally an unfair game."

"Woah! Now I'm the one feeling offended," Malik says, laughing loudly, making me quirk a stunned eyebrow. "You think we're some kind of swindlers or something?"

"Who knows? Maybe you had a purpose luring us here." I shrug.

"Well, why don't you stay so that it becomes the fair game, as you prefer," Liam says coolly, fixing his blue gaze directly at me.

Is he challenging me? My inside coils in response.

"I'd love to, really, but unfortunately it's not my scene," I reply truthfully, rejecting the challenge. "I'm a literature teacher and it's what I'm good at. Plus, Sam can handle you two, that I'm sure of." I give my friend a vote of confidence, and she gives me a fond smile.

No need to dance your tunes, Liam Darcy. I need to keep my distance from you.

"I like her," Malik utters, and it acts as a cue for me to get out of here. I need something worthwhile to do

Anything to stop making a fool out of myself.

Damn, what am I doing? Since when do I enjoy challenging men?

Leaving them talking business, I head inside and stride into my room. Immediately, I take off my sweater and put on a red swing top, leaving my jeans untouched. When I'm done, I grab my camera and lead the way back outside.

Now where do we go?

My eyes squint with pleasure as it's already sunny. I slowly walk past my ex-companion, still discussing their Merger and Acquisitions in a casual talk. Well, there's always a way to have self-pleasure. Luckily, this ranch is big, so there has to be something befitting somewhere.

"Wait, does it mean you're actually buying the entire company? And not a simple investment like you . . ." I manage to hear Sam who's practically astonished.

"Preach, sister," I mumble.

"Where to, Kira?" Sam catches me, and I halt in my tracks.

"Just around, I need a breather," I answer vaguely. "I've got my phone with me; I'll call in case I get lost."

"She's interesting," says Malik, playful in manners. "Don't you agree, Bro?"

Liam says nothing.

"Okay, be good," Sam says in a sisterly tone of voice. I nod and leave.

The moment I get familiar with the outside, my nose gets attacked by the fresh scent of trees, grasses, and all the flowers around. The sound of birds and churning leaves mingle, making this day so beautiful. Perhaps some alone time will do me wonders right now.

Taking a small pause, I watch the brownish grassland from a distance, a place where the helicopter is resting. It's a bit alarming, the sight of it, as it immediately reminds me of the dream. It's like the same place, and an itchy sense of déjà vu overwhelms me.

But no, enough of the dream nonsense!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

387K 12K 49
"You are mine now. Just remember one thing nobody gets the privilege of bringing that smile on your face and touching you" he clenched his fsts and m...
151K 1.5K 43
"And you certainly feel like a human girl..." Jones trails off while he torments me by caressing the side of my cheek with his long finger. The only...
8.2K 419 40
"The things I could make you feel" He whispered as he delicately tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear that must have come out of the loose bun wh...
384K 15.9K 39
When Kira, a young heiress is invited to a frat party, the shy socialite reluctantly accepts. A few drinks too many lands her in the arms of Billiona...