OATHTAKER

By PatriciaReding

An Oath Sworn. A Struggle Engaged. A Sacrifice Required. When Mara, a trained Oathtaker, is drawn by the scen... More

Preface
Chapter 1 Part 1
Chapter 1, Part 2
Chapter 1, Part 3 (End Chapter 1)
Chapter 2, Part 1
Chapter 2, Part 2 (End Chapter 2)
Chapter 3, Part 1
Chapter 3, Part 2
Chapter 3, Part 3 (End Chapter 3)
Chapter 4, Part 1
Chapter 4, Part 2 (End Chapter 4)
Chapter 5, Part 1
Chapter 5, Part 2-1
Chapter 5, Part 2-2
Chapter 5, Part 2-3 (End Chapter 5)
Chapter 6, Part 1-1
Chapter 6, Part 1-2
Chapter 6, Part 2-1
Chapter 6, Part 2-2
Chapter 6, Part 2-3
Chapter 6, Part 3
Chapter 6, Part 4-1
Chapter 6, Part 4-2 (End Chapter 6)
Chapter 7, Part 1-1
Chapter 7, Part 1-2
Chapter 7, Part 2-1
Chapter 7, Part 2-2 (End Chapter 7)
Chapter 8, Part 1-1
Chapter 8, Part 1-2
Chapter 8, Part 2-1
Chapter 8, Part 2-2
Chapter 8, Part 3-2 (End Chapter 8)
Chapter 9, Part 1
Chapter 9, Part 2-1
Chapter 9, Part 2-2 (End Chapter 9)
Chapter 10, Part 1
Chapter 10, Part 2-1
Chapter 10, Part 2-2
Chapter 10, Part 3-1
Chapter 10, Part 3-2 (End Chapter 10)
Chapter 11, Part 1-1
Chapter 11, Part 1-2
Chapter 11, Part 2
Chapter 11, Part 3 (End Chapter 11)
Chapter 12, Part 1-1
Chapter 12, Part 1-2
Chapter 12, Part 2-1
Chapter 12, Part 2-2
Chapter 12, Part 3-1
Chapter 12, Part 3-2 (End Chapter 12)
Chapter 13, Part 1-1
Chapter 13, Part 1-2
Chapter 13, Part 2 (End of Chapter 13)
Chapter 14, Part 1
Chapter 14, Part 2
Chapter 14, Part 3 (End Chapter 14)
Chapter 15, Part 1
Chapter 15, Part 2
Chapter 15, Part 3 (End Chapter 15)
Chapter 16, Part 1
Chapter 16, Part 2
Chapter 16, Part 3 (End Chapter 16)
Chapter 17, Part 1-2
Chapter 17, Part 2 (End Chapter 17)
Chapter 18, Part 1-1
Chapter 18, Part 1-2
Chapter 18, Part 2 (End Chapter 18)
Chapter 19, Part 1-1
Chapter 19, Part 1-2
Chapter 19, Part 2 (End Chapter 19)
Chapter 20
Chapter 21, Part 1
Chapter 21, Part 2-1
Chapter 21, Part 2-2 (End Chapter 21)
Chapter 22
Chapter 23, Part 1
Chapter 23, Part 2 (End Chapter 23)
Chapter 24, Part 1
Chapter 24, Part 2 (End Chapter 24)
Chapter 25
Chapter 26, Part 1-1
Chapter 26, Part 1-2
Chapter 26, Part 2-1
Chapter 26, Part 2-2
Chapter 26, Part 3 (End Chapter 26)
Chapter 27, Part 1-1
Chapter 27, Part 1-2
Chapter 27, Part 2 (End Chapter 27)
Chapter 28, Part 1
Chapter 28, Part 2 (End Chapter 28)
Chapter 29
Chapter 30, Part 1
Chapter 30, Part 2
Chapter 30, Part 3
Chapter 30, Part 4 (End Chapter 30)
Chapter 31
Chapter 32, Part 1-1
Chapter 32, Part 1-2
Chapter 32, Part 2-1
Chapter 32, Part 2-2 (End Chapter 32)
Chapter 33, Part 1
Chapter 33, Part 2 (End Chapter)
Chapter 34, Part 1
Chapter 34, Part 2
Chapter 34, Part 3
Chapter 34, Part 4 (End of Chapter)

Chapter 17, Part 1-1

323 23 1
By PatriciaReding

Mara wanted to know more of Lucy, but for now was content to have time to think. She looked forward to her next opportunity to travel. As the hours passed, her concern for Dixon's wellbeing grew. Would she be too late, even if she could return to his side right this minute? And why was she so obsessed with him and his safety anyway, when she already had so much to handle with the twins?

As dusk neared, the temperature dropped. The air felt electric.

Jules had ridden ahead and was now on his way back. His gait easy, his face calm, he indicated that he sensed no danger ahead.

Nina watched him. She looked expectant, stimulated. Happy? Mara followed her gaze to Jules. "Nina?"

"Yes?"

"Do you want me to take Eden?"

"No, I'm fine. But they'll both need to eat soon. In fact, I'm surprised Reigna isn't fussing already."

The Oathtaker looked up. The sky was an odd mix of gray and green. "It looks like bad weather is coming."

Jules approached. His eyes rested momentarily on Nina before he turned his attention to Mara.

"Is everything all right?" she asked.

"I think we've got a storm brewing," Therese interrupted, as she rode up, Reigna in her arms.

"That's what I was just saying."

Things suddenly quieted. The air stilled. Everything had a green cast to it, including the travelers' faces.

"Did you see any possible shelter ahead?" the Oathtaker asked Jules.

His horse shuddered, jerked its head, and stomped its foot. The other mounts followed suit. Skittish, their eyes darted about. As though on cue, small bolts of lightning high in the sky flickered on and off.

"There's an old building not far from here that looks like a barn built into a hill. It has a chimney, so we should be able to stay warm and dry. I rode up and peeked inside a window. I didn't see anything—though I admit I didn't get a very good look. It appears abandoned, so it should be safe. In any case, I think it's our only option just now." As he finished speaking, another flash of lightning shot across the sky.

The hair on Mara's arms rose. "Let's go then. Be quick about it, but be careful. We need to get these horses out of this weather before one of them bolts. And besides, with all their gear, they're easy targets for lightning."

As Jules turned away, she called to him. "Wait, Jules—how far is it?"

"Shouldn't be more than a couple minutes," he said as a gust of wind suddenly blew.

"Let's go!" she ordered.

Raindrops fell sporadically, then increased as though they were grasping to catch a rhythm, a beat beyond the riders' abilities to hear.

Mara waved her hand, motioning for Nina to go next. "Go!"

The young woman urged her horse onward with her heels.

"Quickly! Quickly!" the Oathtaker exclaimed just as both infants cried out.

Within seconds, the wind became a howl. Rain pelted down, stinging the travelers' faces. It slapped at the dry ground, then splashed back up, quickly soaking them and their mounts.

Through the downfall, the outline of what looked like an old gray barn built into the side of a hill became visible. Some wood shingles from its roof broke free. They flipped and tossed through the air.

"Hurry!" Jules shouted to those behind.

Nina's horse stumbled. Fearing it would fall and roll, Mara urged her mount forward, preparing to pull the young woman toward herself if need be. Then the animal righted itself.

"Are you all right?" Mara shouted over the rushing wind.

She nodded, then looked toward the barn.

Jules dismounted. He ran to the door to slide it open upon its rail, but struggled with it. It wouldn't budge.

Oh, no, he can't open the door! It's locked! Mara bolted toward the barn, dismounted in a flash and tossed Cheryl's reins to him. She grasped Spira and then, with one deft move, the lock gave way.

He rolled the door open and seconds later, Nina rode inside.

Mara rushed to her side. "Are you all right?"

Therese with Reigna entered, followed by Samuel, who quickly closed the door, cutting off the storm's fury.

"I'm fine." Nina, teetering, handed the now wailing Eden, to Mara.

Jules grasped the young woman's hand and helped her to the ground. He hesitated before releasing her.

Her eyes fixed on him.

"Are you sure you're all right?" he asked.

"Yes," she pointed to her mount, "but I'm not so sure about Spot. He tripped and I thought we were going down. I feared he'd crush Eden and me." She looked at Mara. "Oh, I'm so sorry! Eden may have been hurt. Crushed!"

"It wasn't your fault. I should have watched the weather more closely. The storm surprised us is all. You're not to blame yourself."

A gust of wind slammed into the building. The windowpanes rattled and clattered when a small branch brushed against them.

Nina jumped. "Oh!"

Mara squatted down, chuckling. "It's all right now." She handed the infant back to her, then turned her attention to Therese. "Are you and Reigna all right?"

"Yes."

"Let's get some dry things for the girls then. Here," Mara handed her pack to Nina, "check my bag."

Samuel ran his hands over Spot's fetlock, then his knee.

"How is he?" the Oathtaker asked.

"I don't see anything wrong, but I want to keep a good eye on him." He patted the beast's neck as it reached for the carrot he held.

"I'm glad of that. We'll see how he is in the morning."

She turned away and looked around. The building consisted of one large room, its back carved deeply into the earth. A hearth graced one exterior wall. Upon the dirt floor, scattered piles of old riding tack, broken bottles and pottery, a few pails with holes, and bits of rope, laid about.

A ladder stood, leaning against a loft. She approached it to climb, but Jules intercepted her. He assured her he'd give the loft a thorough review.

She continued her survey. As she approached the window, hailstones rat-a-tat-tatted against it. A few jumped near the bottom of the door, like popcorn popping.

"What do you think of a fire?" she asked Samuel. "We could all get dry. I for one," she grabbed the bottom of her skirt and rung it in her hands, causing a stream of water to run to the floor, "am soaked."

Just then, Jules came back down the ladder. "You see how this is built into the hill?" He pointed to the back of the building.

"Yes," Mara and Samuel responded in unison.

"The upper floor goes back even farther. I think we should check it out, make sure there are no hidden dangers."

"I'll go with you," Samuel said.

The men climbed the ladder, then disappeared from view.

Mara and Nina saw to the girls' needs while Therese tended the horses, removing their wet saddles and blankets and them brushing them down.

A few quiet minutes passed, punctuated now and then with a shudder from one of the horses and the howling wind.

"Mara! Therese! We may have trouble here," Jules said, his voice strained.

"Coming!" the Oathtaker cried.

"I'm not sure you should come up."

"I'm coming anyway. I'll send Samuel down to guard you all," she said to Therese.

When she reached the loft, she directed Samuel back down, then turned to Jules. "What is it?"

He nodded toward the back of the room. They walked for a couple minutes in silence.

***Thank you for taking time with Oathtaker. I sincerely appreciate your votes and welcome your comments.*** 

Oathtaker is an award-winner in the 2014 Readers' Favorite International Book Award contest. A completed work, it is currently available in print form at CreateSpace at createspace.com/4767727, in print and for your Kindle on Amazon (see the link) and from Barnes and Noble for your Nook.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105 7 12
"Look at you." He smiles against me. "So breathtakingly beautiful." - In a world where power is sought yet feared. A world where the Kings and Queens...
96 10 11
I had secluded myself from humans for seven years now, deep in the darkest part of the forest where the most violent and bloodthirsty beasts roamed f...
12.6K 462 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...
760K 46.1K 75
Mature Content including violence, sex, and language The gods are fighting. Mortal creatures worship and pray, scheme and plot, all in the name of th...