One Cannot be Brave... (A Ren...

By MarkSessions

The mysteries of Renegades are resolved as Adrian puts all of the pieces together. Follow Adrian and Nova as... More

Part 1 - One Cannot Be Brave...
Part 2 - Who has no Fear...
Part 3 - And Every Fear...
Part 4 - Is a Chance to be Brave
Damsel in Distress
Sidekick
There's No Place Like Home

Wounded

711 11 2
By MarkSessions

Spoilers ahead! I will warn those who have not read the excerpt of Supernova that was given as a prize for completing the super fan quiz. This fic takes place in the middle of Supernova, so it may conflict with events past page 75. If you have read it, I hope you enjoy it!

Here's the link to the main renegades page.   https://renegades.universeofmarissameyer.com/ If you take the Super fan quiz, you can read the excerpt!

______________________________________

    Nova staggered as she stepped into Headquarters. She felt her ribs groaning from where the Sentinel had managed to clip her with one of his concussion beams. During her latest outing as her sleep-inducing alter ego, Nova had accidentally left her Renegade communication band on her arm. It was such a simple mistake, and it had almost cost her identity, no matter how precarious it was already with Danna, all the clues she had left after her attack on HQ, helping Max, and Callum suspecting her. All of the chaos, and then this imbecile that felt like they could threaten her comes along!

    Nova was seething with internal anger and still attempting to conceal the fact that she was injured, so when she felt a hand on her shoulder she whipped around with a scowl on her face. She found Adrian there, though his friendly smile quickly faded at her harsh reaction. She really wished it hadn't. After they had kissed in the subway tunnel, Nova didn't want to keep thinking of him as the enemy. Of course, it would never happen, and with Danna doing her best to reveal Nova, she would never have any sort of future with Adrian.

    "Sweet rot, someone's in a bad mood. What happened Nova?" Nova immediately scrambled to find some excuse for her bad mood, but didn't find anything.

    "Nothing..." She mumbled.

    "Alright, you keep your secrets, Insomnia," Adrian joked. He laughed at his own joke, but Nova's face only fell more. If only he knew just what kind of secrets she was keeping, he wouldn't be laughing. She walked with him, trying not to limp, to the elevators. They both said nothing as the lift ascended through the shaft, only stood in awkward silence. It was hard to follow up accidentally attacking each other, a kiss in the dark, and in Nova's case, a fight with an egotistical coward in a metallic suit. Nova slipped out of the doors and headed for her desk, though Adrian stayed.

    "I'll see you soon, Nova. I need to talk to my dads and the rest of the council about Nightmare, but I'm coming back down as soon as I'm done. Evidently, I shouldn't be investigating her. I have a 'personal connection' to the case."

    The doors closed, and Nova let out a sigh before hobbling over to her desk in the artifacts department lobby. Nova wasn't actually expecting anyone to stop by, but of course, Callum was in today. He gave her a wary glance and moved into the back to file some artifacts. Like Max or Adrian, Callum was one of the few people she didn't actually hate of the Renegades. It was impossible to say she hated anyone on her team, but there were definitely people that she was prepared to eliminate. She was quite tempted to find a way to neutralize Raymond Stern, the Stingray, as she had the rest of Frostbite's team. Maybe throw him into the quarantined wing of the hospital they kept Max in while she was wearing the vitality charm. No, she wouldn't be so cruel as to give Max a tail like Stern. When she thought about it, it was probably possible that if- when- Max grew up, he would be the greatest prodigy alive. The train of thought was broken by her burning ribs as she sat down.

    Nova stared at the desk before her, wondering how she was ever going to find a way to save Ace, protect her identity, and keep Adrian by her side. It was impossible. Then again, so was defeating the Renegades, and she was going to bring them down.

    No. It was possible to do some of them, but not others. She could leave the Anarchists behind her. She could leave her identity as Nightmare after she dealt with the one who was certain they could manipulate Nova like a puppet. Make her dance like a reflection in a mirror.

    But Uncle Ace, old frail uncle Ace. She pictured him sitting in a cell, just waiting for Honey, and Leroy, and Phobia. Waiting for her. He couldn't take on everyone without his helmet. He couldn't escape with some genius plan.

    Nova jumped as the elevator chimed and the doors opened, immediately regretting the sudden motion. Her ribs were screaming now. It was Ruby and Oscar.

    "Hey, Nova! We figured you might want some help investigating Nightmare," Oscar announced as they exited the elevator. His cane tapped on the floor, and though Nova had her eyes clenched in pain, she could tell he was coming towards her. Ruby was likely right next to him.

    "Are you okay Nova?" Ruby asked. Nova opened her eyes and looked at her, knowing her best attempts to hide the injury were useless.

    "Yeah, I'll be fine." This was likely a lie if she didn't find some way to heal her ribs. "Adrian and I accidentally fought each other..."

    "Oh, the first fight," Oscar said.

    "No, not like that!" Nova quickly answered. Perhaps a little too quickly. "We had the same idea to investigate the tunnels and I was sneaking around, investigating and he thought I was Nightmare..."

    The two Renegades shared a look that Nova couldn't quite identify, then Ruby smiled.

    "That didn't end well for Adrian, did it?" Ruby asked.

    "Nope, it ended with him in a choke hold until I realized who my attacker was. Pretty sure that qualifies as not well." Oscar and Ruby laughed together, this time sharing something akin to relief.

    "Well, I've searched around here for a while, and I don't think it will be possible to figure out who Nightmare is from just here, despite Danna's theory. Adrian is sharing our theory with the council, so why don't we go support him?" Nova suggested. She moved back around the desk, trying her best not to limp. They all stepped into the elevator and ascended.

    There wasn't much that Nova could do to hide her wound now, but she made sure to stand straight, walk confidently, and keep a straight face. They asked Prism if Adrian was still with the council, and she nodded, waving them through the first door they saw. They passed the same colored water Nova had seen when she had last come here, and arrived before the council, where Adrian was talking.

    "Everhart, what you are proposing is impossible!" It was Tamaya Rae. "The only people that knew of the helmet's existence are Snapshot, Wonder, and people in this room. Snapshot has been with us for years and has an alibi for the events that happened during the gala. Callum was knocked out by Nightmare and has been fully cooperative."

    "Excuse us," Nova announced, her voice quieter than she had meant it to be thanks to her teeth clenched against the pain in her side, "But I seem to remember expressing my concerns about the helmet's security. I also don't like being left out, Thunderbird. I knew about the helmet too." It was a dangerous play. She was letting them scrutinize her, and hoping, sweet rot she was hoping they would let her go.

    "Insomnia has a point." Simon was now the one speaking. "She seems to have been concerned about the very existence of the helmet ever since she knew the one we had on display was a fake. I think that it would be prudent to allow Adrian and his team to continue with such an investigation, as long as they keep it quiet."

    "I have to agree with the Dread Warden," Tsunami said from the other side of Tamaya.

    "But Thunderbird also presents a good point. Who could possibly have even known of the existence of the helmet. That was a very closely guarded piece of information," Blacklight added. Nova glared at Evander Wade where he sat at the opposite end from Kasumi. "But I guess that leaves the decision to you, Captain."

    Nova caught Hugh Everhart's eyes as he considered the whole team. The same all-too-perfect eyes she had tried to put a poisonous dart into before she was undercover as a Renegade. She waited for her answer, but suddenly, the pain in her ribs seemed to flow upward.

    "Adrian..." Nova breathed before she felt her vision fade and her body hit the floor.

    She woke to a white room and Adrian. She recognized the layout of the room as the same type of room she had been in when she had entered the quarantine to help Max. It was a medical room in Renegades HQ. Adrian was staring at the bandages on her side.

    "Nova, why didn't you tell me?"

    "What?" Nova muttered, still not fully awake after passing out. "I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to worry about having accidentally hurting me." Perhaps he had heard the story she had given to Ruby and Oscar.

    "No, Nova. Why didn't you tell me that you were Nightmare? I realize now that Danna knew. That's why she had the butterflies land on you. Not because you could figure it out, but you were the answer."

    "What are you talking about Adrian?" Nova would defend her identity to the last straw.

    "Nova, that wound on your ribs didn't come from our little accident in the tunnel. IT came from the Sentinel's concussion beam."

    How could Adrian possibly know that? The only people who had been there when that happened had been Nova and...

    No.

    No, no no.

    No.

    This wasn't happening. It couldn't possibly be true. But as she stared at his eyes, Nova knew the truth. Adrian Everhart knew her secret, and now she knew his too.

______________________________________

Hey guys!

    I really enjoy writing this fic, and make sure to vote/comment anything you liked or disliked! I plan to keep writing more fics of my own, but suggestions are definitely accepted! Either message me here of follow me on instagram (name in bio) I give occasional updates there. Very rare.

Shout out to 0XxStarynightxX0 for the prompt for this fic!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 1.7K 38
"Okay. Let's get this straight. For some bizarre reason, we wake up in the same bed and a six-year-old girl claims that we are her parents and refers...
697 180 32
Zora always knew she didn't belong to this world. She didn't even know her real name. She never met her birth parents, having been left in a firehous...
20.1K 275 24
These are some one-shots from my favorite series Renegades! There will be Nodrian and Osby (or whatever Ruby and Oscar's ship name is). Please feel f...
111K 4.4K 64
"I've been looking for you." There was an unexpected rasp to his voice, a hint of desperation. He stretched out one hand, as if to brush it across my...