The Children // ASSASSINS CRE...

By JaidenLM

Deimos was not the only child to be taken by the cult of Kosmos. One of the 'other' tortured Children of Chry... More

C1: The Lost
C2: The Bargain
C3: The List
C4: The Beauty
C5: The Rat
C6: The Promise
C7: The Compromise
C8: The Mother
C9: The Root
C10: The Flower
C11: The Conspiracy
C12: The Master
C13: The Prisoner
C 14: The Silent
C15: The Debt
C16: The Path
C17: The Faithful
C18: The Fabrication
C19: The Warrior
C20: The Moments
C21: The Flicker
C22: The Olympian
C23: The Run-Away
C 24: The Conqueror
C25: The Slave
C26: The Traitor
C27: The Distraction
C28: The Bounty
C29: The Eye
C30: The Conquest
C31: The Cost
C32: The Champion
C33: The Pawn
C34: The Play
C35: The Price
C36: The Edge
C37: The Offer
C38: The Storm
C39: The Wait
C40: The Chaos
C41: The Goodbye
C42: The Confession
C43: The Loose Ends
C44: The Puppet
C 46: The Way
C 47: The Walk
C48: The Herald
C49: The Warmth
C50: The Children
C51: The End

C45: The Trap

309 17 5
By JaidenLM

Whether or not the ex-Athenian statesman would make it out alive at the end of this endeavour he was aiming for, whatever Alkibiades had promised the King, it had allowed him to fall in with those held in Spartas high regards and, invertedly, gave Eos and the others an ear in to the more sordid affairs of the men at the top of Spartas foodchain.

Except, those sordid affairs weren't all that sordid and, it seemed that, with the death of Aesop, the Order really had lost any link between them and the Spartan king...

Alkibiades was also able to inform them that Aesop and that 'athenian' commander were big on using mercenaries to complete their dirty deeds and, that was who had most likely filled that camp. Oblivious idiots... still, maybe one of those idiots could give them a lead as to where Cyrus was.

As Eos was stood by the door of the house, looking out, she wondered if the Order thought them stupid enough to be lulled in to such a false sense of security... or, they'd only done it so the King would...

She knew they'd have to be planning something and, it was times like that she wished the others still here... Kallinos... he could figure out a scheme just as well as he could make one up.

Even after what had happened, after the taste in his mouth had grew sour and bitter at what Deimos had done to his friend that day in the serpents lair... Eos knew there would still have been a part of him who knew they were all better together than they were apart...

And sometimes, she couldn't help but wonder if she'd done things differently then... maybe Kallinos, maybe even Pyros, Akin, Asphodel, Melaina... they wouldn't have pushed away from each other and found comfort in something that would eventually destroy them... maybe only they could set their own paths and it was always going to happen.

She'd never know now...

And, reminding herself of Melaina, Eos wondered where it was she'd got too after trying to shake Alexios up... She'd seemingly abandoned the Order but, she'd put nothing passed her, especially after trying to make Alexios feel even worse than he already did...

'Brought together to say goodbye' - that's what she'd told him but... low and behold, they hadn't said goodbye to anyone else and, she didn't plan on it... Hell, Eos had to be honest with herself, he got on her nerves far more than she let on but, it didn't make her want him any less. He was terrible to try and talk to, his skull so thick, she wondered if anything got through most days but, she understood.

More than any of them...

Eos understood the fight he had going on inside... a fight he may never win but, one she knew he'd keep fighting if they gave him the opportunity too...

Eos looked down, towards the bump that was showing beneath her robes. It wouldn't be long until this was all made even more complicated and, he could make as many promises as he wanted but, she still had no idea how he would react when a screaming baby was lay in front of him...

Hell, just the thought of it being lay in front of her made her feel sick... 

And then it was the much added fear that her body just wouldn't be able to take it... Hippokrates wouldn't say it but, there was always that chance, wasn't it...

Eos put her hand  on her stomach,

"Please don't hate me" she said. There was no gurgle, no flutter, no little kick, she sometimes wondered if they'd be just as broody and moody as their father.

"Eos" it was Natakas, his face covered with the tower of what looked like armour he was holding, or, struggling with. Eos stepped aside as he came inside,

"Who are those for" Eos asked as he hauled it on to the table. Natakas took a step back and put his hands on his waist, taking a deep breath,

"Alexios" Natakas said, the set of armour had been heavier than he'd thought.

"And, when did you become his donkey" Eos asked - Darius and Alexios hardly spoke, and, well, Natakas wasn't rude like Darius but, Alexios really had no want to make friends with any of them. 

"When I passed by the smith and they begged me to bring it here" Natakas told her,

"Is he really - that - scary" Eos wondered out loud.

"Apparently he is", Natakas took a step back to look down at it, "theres some fine craftsman work in there" he said.

The armour was very mercenary like, but, instead of the usual reds, it was accented with some dulled golds...

Eos wondered why she expected anything more.

It was then Alexios entered, yawning - he'd only just woken up. He and his sister had spent a lot of the night before 'disagreeing' on his morals and principles and, in the end, he'd decided to take a walk and then fall in to bed next to a sleeping Eos. He was glad she was asleep, the last thing he needed was anymore talks of redemption that night.

"Your armours here" Eos said, picking up one of the long leather tassel from his new belt - Kassandra and Alexios had to have it out eventually and, in her mind, until they involved her, she wanted to keep well out of it anyway.

"What" he yawned again, "why...", he looked over to Natakas, who shrugged,

"Blacksmith asked Natakas to bring it up" Eos said, "seems your scaring the locals again", Eos turned back to the armour,

"I have to get back" Natakas said, a quick nod of his head before he left them. Alexios watched him leave, the glare he gave making sure that Natakas shut the door behind him. He turned back around, smiling and Eos rolled her eyes as she turned back to the armour..

"Am I really that scary" Alexios was behind her now, looking over her shoulder - he could see the goosebumps on her arm, the hairs rising up to meet the tension,

"You must be" Eos told him, she shrugged the feeling off as she took a small step to the side, giving him room to pick the chest plate up, it was thick but light, just the way he'd wanted it.

"What do you think" he asked,

"It looks... nice" Eos shrugged, "I'll refrain judgement until you get it on".

The set really was just a replica of the mercenary armour she had seen Kassandra wear - moveable, flowing, except, it was just that little more showy, bits of gold here and there... and, it fitted so well with the robes he used to wear beneath his old armour, it was almost a little earie...

"Nothing much changes, does it" Eos said, tilting her head as she took him in. He looked good but, he did just look like a mercenary version of Deimos - which, in all honesty, wasn't bad - perhaps it would actually help him find that balance that he needed.

"You don't like it" Kassandra asked as she came in, she'd been the one to suggest it but, she had to admit, she didn't much like the gold accents - it was too much of a throw back to the demi-god set he had in the chest in the back but, it suited him all the same.

"I prefer him without anything on at all" Eos surprised herself a little at the comment,

"That is not what I need to be hearing so early in the morning" Kassandra said,

"At least me and your brother are considerate, unlike you and... well... whoever it is you have in there" - Kassandra had never exactly been quiet and, Eos had spent enough time with her to know that Kassandra much preferred most of the people she met, naked in front of her.

"You sound jealous, Eos" Alexios said, he pushed himself up. It was then Kassandra decided it was her time to leave.

"Aren't you" Eos asked,

"I feel like you're enough",

"Don't want to become a misthios like your big sister" Eos asked, she put her hand on his chest plate, her finger tracing one of the swirls,

"Something tells me parts of her life wouldn't agree with me" Alexios said, "or, not for you at least". Eos smiled, she'd never been the jealous type although, she hadn't had to worry about it, considering his reputation but, she knew he was - even if he'd never admit it.

"As long as you don't go searching for bear balls for old ladies, I think we'll get through it" Eos pushed him and his now, dampening smirk away a little.

"What?",

"One time" she heard Kassandra say from behind the door. Alexios looked to Eos then, actually a little horrified.

Which, Eos would have much preferred than the sour one he'd wear a few hours later.

What to do next was not something of which the siblings could talk about or agree on without it getting a little too heated.

It was a conversation Eos tried to avoid when the only two voices it included was theirs but, this had meant to be a group discussion that was now a too-and-throw between two demi-gods...

They were sat inside, around the stove.

"Like a snake, you cut its head off" Alexios said, wondering how many times he'd have to say it until his sister got it in to that thick skull of hers,

"Then maybe I should have cut yours off" Kassandra snapped, even Darius flinched a little, no one was enjoying their food anymore.

"Maybe you should have" Alexios said, he folded his arms - he'd like to see her try.

"Can't you just agree on this one thing" Eos asked, letting her head fall forward. She'd been staring up at the ceiling, hoping for some Godly intervention in the sky above but, it seems she'd have to do it herself tonight.

"Not if he's going to be like this" Kassandra said, throwing her arms around,

"Aesop is dead Kassandra" Eos told her, "innocent people get killed everyday for far, far less than what he did",

"His motives-",

"His motives don't matter anymore" Eos told her, "he is dead. It doesn't matter if they had a spear sticking up his ass, he's dead. That commander is dead. Kassandra, we need to find these-",

"And just kill them - like that will solve all our problems" Kassandra said, pointing at her brother,

"They'll talk first. Don't worry" Alexios said,

"You are not De-",

"Just stop it" Eos snapped at her.

Alexios got up on to his feet,

'If you want me to be-",

"It doesn't matter" Eos almost shouted, "what matters is that the Order is out there, they are going to try and kill. you" she looked to Alexios, and then to Kassandra, "Darius, Natakas, me. The Gods only know what their going to do to this baby".

Eos saw his face drop then, his whole demeanour changing as he fell back in to his seat, a heave in his chest.

And, with that, everyone fell back in to eating their food in silence, the small fire they sat around growing colder until only Eos and Alexios were left... Darius was on watch, Natakas and Glaukos were asleep and, Kassandra had claimed she was going to her ship.

"I wish she'd understand" Alexios said quietly,

"She likes to see the good in people" Eos said... if she hadnt, Eos wouldnt have made it this far... hell, if she'd been in Kassandra's shoes that day on Naxos, she would have made sure that spear had smashed her in the head...

"Perhaps she shouldn't" he said quietly,

"Perhaps not but" Eos shrugged, Alexios sighed, his hand now creeping the distance towards her,

"I think both of us would rather Darius go with her" he said,

"I'm sure you would but... he doesn't much like team work and, she needs you... really",

"And you don't" Alexios asked, he reached out now, his fingers brushing against her stomach, he knew she was as terrified as he was now - which he still wasn't sure, whether it made him feel better or not.

"I have more than enough people here, don't worry" Eos said, and, by that, she mostly meant herself - as long as she could still wield and stab people with her dagger, she felt like her safety really wasn't an issue whilst she was stuck here and watched like a hawk anyway.

"An old man, a one legged fool and a donkey" Alexios asked, he let his hand fall, now playing with a piece of her robes and twisting his fingers around the cloth - he had actually considered seeing what the blacksmith could do in form of some protection for her but, her stomach was only going to get bigger and the armour heavier...

"I have a Barnabas" Eos assured him, which, she knew, with herself included, was more than enough to keep anyone at bay.

It was actually the old sea Captain who had led them to tonight.... He had come inland with the news that he'd spotted a small merchant boat arrive with what, he was sure, was a Persian mask and, Kassandra and Alexios were going out to follow the shipment... which Darius had found would leave by the morning.

Except, it meant leaving Eos and, Alexios had swore that he'd never let her out of his sight again.

"I'll do anything to make sure you're safe... the both of you" he added softly,

"I know" Eos said, "I know".

***

That morning, Alexios had woken up to the soft knock on their door, a sign from Kassandra telling him it was time to go. He'd kissed the top of a sleeping Eos' head before he'd stroke her stomach, murmuring another little promise to them before he got up.

Eos had woken up a few hours later. She already knew he wouldn't be there and, it took all she had to make herself actually get up. Part of her just wanted to stay in bed, to wait until they came back with some news but, then her stomach started to growl and she knew she had to go and eat.

Having eaten, Eos had decided to find her way down to the bakers. They'd put an order in a couple days before and, after Hippokrates mentioning that light walks would do her good - and maybe offset the sickness a little - she decided it was okay if she went.

It wasn't like Darius wouldn't follow her anyway. She'd overheard Kassandra asking him to watch out for her and, she wondered how long it would take for her to spot him.

He was actually quite a good hider for an old man but, as well as being a good hider herself, Eos had also been a good seeker as a child too. Hide and seek had easily been their favourite game whilst staying with Dolops and, another thing she'd been better at than Deimos.

Although, before she'd left, she'd wanted to take her dagger with her - just in case - only to realise that it wasn't in the place where she'd left it. Darius had most probably taken it, she'd thought, a sign to tell her that she would not be doing any of her own investigating for the time being but, it was still hers and, when she did spot him, she'd make sure he knew that.

In the market, the baker had passed her the cloth sack and, as she'd turned to leave, she'd caught sight of someone out of the corner of her eye.

Stopping, she was sure it was him, that sickly feeling overcoming her... she'd stared at that face far too long not to know it... Cyrus...

She was sure he hadn't seen her yet but, as she got that little bit closer, using the Spartan citizens to hide herself amongst the daily bustling's, she recognised the voice of the man he spoke with, his robes red, his face hooded...

Except, they weren't speaking of anything strategic - it was nothing more than a conversation about how the war in the north was going, asking each other when it would be over... Eos had to do a double take... Perhaps it wasn't Cyrus...

But, as she looked to the two men again, it was undoubtedly him.

And he was staring at her now, a wide smirk on his face - he wanted her to know he was there... he'd always been there...

Eos bumped in to someone and felt them grab on to her shoulders, she turned, going to knee them in the crotch, only to realise it was Darius.

"Dar-" she turned back to where Cyrus had been, the man he was speaking with was gone but, she was sure she could see the back of him disappearing around a corner, a quick step to his foot... As sure and calm that he was, he hadn't been expecting company - he obviously wasn't a very great seeker.

"Eos" the old man asked, she pulled away from him, walking backwards a few steps,

"Cyrus" she told him before she turned around, following in the bald mans foot steps before Darius grabbed her arm and pulled her back,

"Do not be a fool Eos" Darius warned her.

Eos stopped, grabbing at her head and shaking herself, Darius was right. "Lets get back to the house" the old man told her, his voice was soft, kind. Eos watched as he knelt down, picking up the bread she'd dropped and holding his hand out to her.

Unbeknownst to Eos, she'd grew such a pale white, the old man was worried she would faint, the chill only coming to her when they started their way back.

"I didn't know if it was..." Eos trailed off, "and then, when I looked at him, he was staring at me and...", she felt sick, she had to stop, to take a deep breath.

"Eos, if he's here, we'll find him" Darius said,

"He was talking with a man, I don't know what he..." she'd recognised the voice - it had been the man the King had spoken to that night in the house - but she couldn't remember what his face looked like, the sick feeling in her stomach had made Cyrus the only thing she could remember. "He was with the King but...",

"Then we have a problem" Darius said,

"What" Eos asked, looking to him,

"The King has left for talks with Athens" Darius told her,

"What" Eos asked again,

"Eos, we have to get back" Darius told her, his eyes scanning the surroundings, the darkening skies pushing people back in to their homes. "Come on".

Somehow, despite the horrible feeling the both of them had, they got back to the house just before the rain started.

And, it seemed Darius had even more news for her.

The old man had pinpointed one of the 'mercenaries' that Aesop had allegedly paid to man the camp, essentially the guard he'd seen at the entrance and, considering he was just a Spartan guard who Darius had seen look at him a little too much, he was sure, that with a little more digging, he could find the rest.

Except Eos didn't see the point anymore - not when Cyrus had made himself known to them now.

It took Kassandra and Alexios until the morning after to get back... the shipment, which had indeed included some Persian masks was meant for market, being sold to those who wanted some Persian culture in their lives and nothing more... a dead end...

***

Kassandra had came in to Eos and her brothers room, knowing Alexios was outside, she needed a moment to talk to Eos on her own. It hadn't gone as bad as she'd though and, Alexios hadn't suggested that they kill the merchant who had taken the masks so, she'd seen that as a bonus but, still, they knew about Darius and his lead now..

"I wish I could just get inside his head, see the reasoning instead of all the hate" Kassandra said as she leaned on the wall, "I bet you know what he wants to do to those men"

"He wants to make sure this place isn't crawling with fleas when this baby is born Kassandra" Eos told her.

Kassandra sighed, "Eos..." she trailed off... perhaps staying here really wasn't their best idea... Especially with Alkibiades having convinced the King to talk with what was left of Athens statesman, to find a truce between them all. It meant that, for the most part, Sparta was without a King at its helm - only for a small time but, enough time for someone else to grab on to the control and use it.

Honestly, she'd actually wondered if Alkibiades was on their side or not...

"I saw Cyrus" Eos said - Darius hadn't told them... he thought it was best she did.

"You saw him" Kassandra said, she pushed away from the wall,

"At the bakers" Eos said,

"So, he is here" Kassandra sighed, she never really could catch a break...

"He is" Eos said, "probably always had been. He was talking with someone, I don't remember what he looked like but, he was with the King that night we arrived",

"We need to leave" Kassandra said quietly, it was too dangerous...

Even if Alexios felt nothing for this place anymore, she did... Just the thought of her and her brother sharing the same roof they had as children... it was enough to make her forget all the arguments they had but, it wasn't safe here... it never had been...

"We can't leave Kassandra" Eos told her, "we need to get Cyrus first, take out the Orders foothole or... they'll just keep coming...". Eos knew that to rid themselves completely, they'd have to find Amorges but, she felt as if he was going to keep his head down until they were truly ready to bring the fight. Cyrus would only ever be a distraction... but distraction enough so that they could lose a few of them along the way...

"I know that but" Kassandra sighed,

"Alexios" Eos asked her - it would never not be weird saying that name out loud, the want to just call him Deimos was far too strong.

"His methods" Kassandra looked to her, "their just a little too...",

"Deimosy" Eos asked, Kassandra nodded. "His methods are what kept him alive in a pit of snakes Kass" Eos reminded him,

"He was a snake Eos" Kassandra said quietly,

"So was I Kassandra" Eos told her, she shrugged, "if I hadn't got pregnant... maybe I would have joined the Order... maybe you would have stuck your spear threw my belly like you have so many others".

Kassandra looked to the floor, it was easier to forget only because of how far it had brought them... Without Eos, Kassandra knew that convincing her brother to leave the cult, convincing him that he could make a life for himself afterwards, it would have been so much harder had she not had Eos to show him it could be done...

"Kassandra, you need to let him be who he wants to be" Eos told her, "trust him... I know he's unpredictable but, he never does anything for the sake of it... what he does doesn't only benefit himself anymore",

"I'm just worried if he we let him stray too far, he might...",

"And what if he did" Eos asked - the thing is, Eos knew now that, he would never be the Deimos that the world knew again... he could fall in to a pit and never be able to get out again but, this time, if he did, it'd kill him...

"Eos, I just want him to be happy" Kassandra said, she wasn't ready to answer that question just yet,

"Remember that then" Eos told her, leaving Kassandra to think and, pass by Darius, who had been listening in on their conversation.

***

"Do you agree with her too" Alexios asked without turning around, he was stood, looking down at the chest his old armour was now in... Alexios had put in what had been the old pantry, at the back of the house, a lonely chest with empty shelves around it.

"No" Eos told him, "but" Alexios sighed, there was always a but, "none of it matters anymore",

"No?", he hadn't expected that,

"Cyrus is here" Eos told him, "we're in amongst a trap already", he turned around,

"You saw him" he asked, Eos nodded, "did he" Eos shook her head. Alexios sat down on the chest, "I knew we shouldn't have settled here" Alexios said.

"We need to figure out where he is" Eos said, "lead him out",

"We?" Alexios asked,

"I don't know what they have planned but... I don't feel like it's going to be anything good" - with the King away, it gave the Order a window...

"We have to show them a weak point" Darius said, Eos turned to the old man who had appeared in the doorway - seems he was still keeping up the following, even though they were inside now.

"You have a plan" Eos said, she'd already seen those cranks turning when she'd passed him earlier, listening in on her and Kassandra,

"A diversion" Darius said.

"Like what" Alexios said,

"Are you and Kassandra up for another argument" Darius asked,

"No" Eos said before Alexios could answer,

"Apart, we are weak" Darius shrugged, "if we 'lose' you" he nodded to Alexios, "the Order might think us more vulnerable",

"What are you saying old man" Alexios asked,

"The Order, men like Cyrus, they kill to prove a point, to show something" Darius looked to Eos, "they would use a hostage as bait, lure their prey in - then, they'd kill it",

"And you think I want Cyrus dead enough to watch - any - of you die" Eos asked him ,

"The only one who will be dying is Cyrus and those like him" Darius said,

"You just said-",

"I once killed the King of Persia by masking myself as a Persian guard" Darius told her, "I think I can do it again".

***

What Darius wanted to pull off wasn't going to be easy and, as sure as he was, this may have been the last night that they spent together.

Eos didn't like the thought of using Alexios as a diversion, as a pawn in this trap... Darius could easily be so wrong... they could easily have far too many men that could over-power him and, all it needed was a stab in the gut, or the chest, or anywhere and, he'd be gone... just like that...

She wanted Cyrus dead but, not enough to lose Alexios to it. She needed him, now more than ever...

"I'm glad our relationship isn't as complicated as theirs is" Natakas said as he sat, leaned up against the wall with a bowl of wine in his lap, he wasn't drunk yet but, he was far more complacent than usual and, perhaps a little too loud. Eos had looked over, wondering if Natakas knew that complicated wasn't enough for what her and Alexios' relationship really was.

"Relationship" Kassandra asked, raising a brow as she sat opposite him. Natakas smiled and leaned his head back,

"I think its.. its own version of passionate" Kassandra said, she glanced to Eos and her brother, currently laughing about something. As much as she could hate him and the things he did, his laugh... that smile Eos was able to put on his face, it made it worth it.

"Passionate" Natakas asked, "are you sure you know the meaning of that word", Kassandra smiled as she turned back to him,

"They've went through so much and, they can still sit there and smile... laugh...",

"Brood" Natakas said - not so much Eos but, Kassandra's brother was adept at it... if it wasn't for Eos, it might have been the only thing he did.

"Passionate, complicated" Kassandra looked back over to them, watching as her brother sat back, folded his arms and shook his head as Eos stood up, his eyes following her as she disappeared in to the back, "sometimes, I feel like I prefer Deimos" Kassandra looked back at Natakas. He put his bowl down and sat up a little, "he was so sure of himself before, he was calculative, informative, a warrior that could make men quake in their greaves, the Order wouldn't have even considered going against him in his prime... and now, he's just..." Kassandra shook her head, "he went through so much and, he had to do so many things, so many bad things... really bad... and no one was there to protect him, from the cult, from himself but... Eos... she'd do anything for that man and he'd do anything for her... but he needs more than just one person... and I know that..." Kassandra looked to Alexios again , "I'd do anything for him Natakas. I won't fail him again".

Even if it meant going against her own morals. Alexios was right... they had something else to worry about other than themselves now and, he needed her.

***

Eos didn't need to pretend that she was sick with worry when Kassandra and Alexios burst through the front door and in to the yard; they weren't screaming at each other - that would have looked far too staged - but, the words being thrown around was making her stomach turn.

"You are not Deimos" Kassandra spat, "you're not anything anymore",

"And you are nothing more than a mercenary" Alexios spat, "what have you accomplished... you can't keep anyone safe, can you" he stepped up to Kassandra, "Brasidas..." Eos stepped outside, feeling her skin go cold - ruse or not - this was going to far,

"Alexios" Eos said quietly, which, gave him pause a moment before remembering what it was he was doing,

"Mater" he said it so sarcastically, it was the only way he could without making himself feel something, to remember how it was he felt before, "even poor little Phe-" Kassandra grabbed him,

"Don't you dare" Kassandra pushed him backwards hard, grabbing for her spear, Alexios had pulled his sword out and, the weapons clashed as he brought it up to block her.

The two of them came close then, their faces inches away from each other,

"Still a little roar sister" Alexios asked. Kassandra grabbed on to Alexios' sword and kicked out at him, taking him by surprise and making him stumble backwards.

"Kassandra, that's enough" Eos said.

Except, she wouldn't and, Kassandra didn't look as if she was pretending anymore.

Kassandra stabbed his sword in to the ground, pointing her spear at him.

"No one wants you here" Kassandra said, "you'll never change - brother" she spat the word so sourly. Eos saw Alexios have to stop, to think about what she was saying, the hurt... the real hurt... "You'll always be one of them... you can never be anything else...".

Alexios stood up straight, part of him wondered if she really meant it... if it was the words she'd always wanted to say... he glanced at Eos, she looked so pale, so hurt... He turned away, glancing at his sword, stuck in the dirt, before he left,

"Don't" Eos said, but, he didn't even look back. Darius put his hand on her arm, this was meant to happen, he was meant to leave, but, Eos didn't know whether or not either of them could come back from such sour words being said out loud... whether they'd meant them or not...

Two days... two days was how long Eos waited...

Darius and Natakas, they'd left the day after, claiming they'd go to Messenia, to see if they could find anything, leaving Kassandra and Eos at the house with Glaukos.

Alexios hadn't come home... it was expected but, it hadn't made sleeping at night any easier... if the Order had him, they were keeping quiet, if he'd found them and killed them all, maybe he'd died too... They had no idea and, despite Kassandra going out to look for him, not straying far from the house just in case they attacked whilst she was away, she found no trace of her brother or the way he'd go.

It was then Eos had to make her way to the one place she knew he would go... where the Order knew he would go... to where it all started... 

Kassandra said that she would follow a little behind her but, it would have meant leaving Glaukos alone at the house except, Hippokrates was doing a clinic just out of the city and, he'd gone for a 'check-up' on his leg that morning.

Eos was on the path up to the ruins... she'd never made it there before and, a part of her was worried what would happen when she got there... whether or not Darius and Natakas had been able to do what they said they would... whether they knew the Order enough to do what they hoped they would do...

They were all about symbolism so, the edge of that mountain really would be the perfect place for a confrontation...

Although, when Eos finally made it up there, far too tired for anything to go down, it was quiet and, nothing seemed out of place. The forest was peaceful and, she even saw a deer in the undergrowth - there was either no one here or, they'd been here long enough that the animals weren't bothered anymore...

Eos came towards the edge, wondering what it must have been like to stand here as Deimos, only to walk away as something less... this was his equivalent of her night at the serpents lair... except, she never had any want to go back there - ever. The beginning could stay at the beginning.

Eos sat down. Part of her wondered if someone was to come up behind her and push her, whether she'd die or not when she hit the ground, falling in with the pit of bones at the bottom... she wondered how a child, or a baby, could survive the drop...

Shaking the feeling away, it was soon replaced with another one. Of being watched. Except, it wasn't Kassandra.

They must have been watching her from the beginning, waiting for her to come... 

She felt sick at just the sound that their feet made on the ground.

"You play a good game Eos" it was Cyrus, "this one, however, you won't win". Eos turned, finding Cyrus stood only feet away from her. She stood up, she could feel herself shaking, could feel the rush of air behind her, the drop...

"So you know how it ends, do you" Eos managed to ask, taking a small step forward, trying to rid the thought of what was behind her.

Cyrus smiled and then turned to something else,

"Bring him here" he sounded so happy with himself.

Alexios. They had him...

Unconscious, bruised, beaten... they were dragging him... this wasn't an act... how could they have done that to him... Eos took a step back, the feeling of the edge making her shudder,

"It took them a while but, everyone falls to us eventually", Cyrus drew a dagger from his belt and took a step forward, it didn't take her long to realise that it was hers... They'd been at the house... somehow, some way, they'd walked in and taken it and now... Eos went towards him, only for another man to step in her way, his sword held straight out in front of her...

She had been all alone... How was her mind so confuddled that she'd missed all the signs... they must have been there...

"You brought this on yourself Eos... how would the chaos end, if not in heart break"  he picked Alexios' head up, it was so limp, "and suffering", Cyrus looked back to Eos as he put her dagger to Alexios' face, scoring the old scar on his eye... the blood seeping out slowly,

"Just leave him alone, please" Eos asked. Cyrus stopped and smiled,

"Eos... I think you forget that you weren't our only aim... this man" he turned back to Alexios, "he's killed so many - the innocent, the not-so innocent, his blood is tainted, just like his sisters, the world won't miss him..." Cyrus smiled,

"The world won't miss you either" Cyrus froze a small bit, not sure if he'd really heard it or not,

"What" Cyrus took a small step back, his hand gripping her dagger tighter. Eos noticed the little twist of the sword in front of her - there was a reason she hadn't known they were there... 

Alexios picked his head up,

"I said-" the man holding Alexios on his right went to push Alexios on to his knees but, the one on the other side pulled out his sword and struck the other guard, giving Alexios time enough to pull away, grabbing the right mans blade and meeting with the blade Cyrus pulled from his belt.

Darius, who had been holding Alexios up, killed the other guard quickly, leaving just Cyrus and the other man who, Eos already knew, was Natakas.

Cyrus, knowing he was out-numbered, threw himself at Alexios, her dagger digging in to his side as Alexios stabbed him through the stomach with his sword. Cyrus let go off the dagger, the small serpent headed blade stuck in Alexios' side as Cyrus fell on to the floor.

Alexios looked at the dagger as Cyrus began to drag himself away, towards the edge of the forest behind them... Natakas pulled the Persian mask off and looked to the north, his eyes having found something in the forest behind them as Kassandra arrived. 

The misthios had found a small band of Persians just down the road, having taken care of them quickly - she didn't know if they were supposed to be lying in wait or, a diversion but, she could see now that whatever small fight there had been, it was over...

Eos took a few steps forward towards Alexios, Cyrus muttering as he crawled, leaving a trail of blood behind him.

Before Eos could reach Alexios, Alexios had looked back to Cyrus, pulling the dagger out and grabbing at his side... the dagger had smashed off the armour, getting stuck in between the steel and the leather, leaving only a scratch on his skin. He smiled and took a step towards the dying man.

"This is how it'll all end" Alexios said. Cyrus pushed himself on to his back then, so he could look him in the face,

"Not yet" Cyrus turned, Alexios looking with him.

"No, watch out" Natakas called out. Darius tried to grab his son away as he pushed himself towards them but, even though, Darius managed to grab him, Natakas pulled away, getting caught with an arrow that was never meant for the demi-god... Kassandra was quick on her bow, finding the archer and shooting him down before rushing over to Natakas.

Cyrus looked up at Alexios, smiling,

"Your childs life will always hang in the balance..." he lay his head back, "and, a monster like you will not be able to save them" Alexios took a step back, "the Order is eternal" Cyrus said as he closed his eyes... his breathing fading away in to nothing soon after...

"Natakas, come on" Alexios heard Kassandra cry behind him,

"I'll be... I'll be..." Natakas took a few deep breaths, He gasped as Darius pulled the arrow out, the green on the tip telling them all the same thing. Poison.

"Natakas" Eos said quietly, she looked to Alexios, he was still stood there, standing over what now looked like a dead Cyrus.

Eos looked back to Natakas, watching as he started to shake, the poison taking its sweet time to kill him,

"There has to be something" Kassandra said, she looked to Darius, "please, Darius". The old man knew there was no way to save him, his eyes not leaving his sons face until the last fit took him, watching as his body went slowly limp.

Eos went over to Kassandra, putting her hand on her shoulder as she held him, the misthios not able to keep up the façade she was so well known for, the tears starting to fall as she held Natakas' head. Eos knelt down next to her,

"Kass" Eos said,

"I...I wanted..." there had been something, something about this man that gave Kassandra stability, something that made her want to stay still... Kassandra let her head drop, the lump in her throat too hard to swallow.

Eos looked up, to where Alexios was but, he was gone.

"Alexios" Eos asked, she stood up, Kassandra looking up with her.

Darius was gone too.

"Alexios" Eos called again, she looked to Kassandra, "Kassandra, where is he".

***

AN: Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! And, thank you again for being so patient!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191K 6.5K 68
(note: Story cover has been updated May 2023 :) New chapter covers will be added slowly too) Catherine Wolfe didn't know why she was chosen, or if sh...
278K 9.1K 41
♜ 𝐀 𝐌𝐚𝐟𝐢𝐚 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 ♜ (Not edited, a first draft) When two different people with two very different paths in life collide, there is not a...
1.6K 324 40
In the dystopian future, an assassin tries to balance her dangerous job with being a single mom. Novella (38711 words) Trigger warning: Murder, Medic...
3K 389 26
[𝐖𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐨𝐧, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐤𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐮𝐬: 𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐜 𝐛𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐜 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐲 𝐮𝐬.] Qu...