The Red Dragon

By mdelpin

Natsu Dragneel is a unique child, the offspring of a red dragon and a human. While he presents as human most... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 31.5
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35

Chapter 17

294 13 0
By mdelpin

Chapter 17

It was Lyon who had finally gotten Gray to leave the field. Wisely avoiding the Guard headquarters, he'd led them to their shared apartment. Gray had collapsed on their sofa, crying more than he could ever remember doing since his parents' death.

The fear that this was it, the moment where he finally lost everything created a weight on his chest so massive, it felt like it would crush him.

Lyon did his best to soothe him, to let him know that they were brothers and he was still there for him. That he would lend him his strength until Gray felt up to standing on his own once more. But it all sounded so distant. The image of Natsu and the others flying away on that beast wasn't something he could let go of yet.

And just as Lyon had predicted, Gray was horrified by how he'd acted.

He'd been so caught up in his feelings that he'd refused to acknowledge the fear that had been written all over Natsu's face. Or his plea for Gray to forgive him, to understand he couldn't stay. Even worse, he'd ignored Natsu's feelings, which had been quite clearly broadcast to him through their shared bond.

Natsu had needed to be held, to be comforted, to feel loved by Gray, but that wasn't what he'd given him at all, and that knowledge was eating away at him. Even now, he was wearing Natsu's most prized possession around his neck, his smell providing Gray some level of comfort. What did Natsu get from him?

Gray had yelled at him, pushed him away, and refused to listen to anything he had to say. He'd berated him, even questioned his love. Gods, what had he —

"Natsu's going to be fine, Gray. They're all going to be fine," Lyon interrupted his thoughts, continuing to murmur his encouragement, not knowing what else to do for the boy he'd accepted as a brother so many years before.

Gray nodded listlessly, tensing up as he heard loud knocking and Erza yelling at their front door. Lyon left him on the sofa to go deal with her. Gray listened as Lyon tried to stop Erza from coming inside, but the sound of her steps growing closer was testament enough to his failure. He heard the door close softly, and the familiar sound of Lyon's footsteps returning.

"Where is everyone? Why aren't you at your posts? Just because Natsu left doesn't give everyone the right to take off. I have dozens of recruits waiting and no one to train them." Erza stormed into their living room, coming face to face with the sorry state Gray was in.

Seeing that Gray was in no condition to give her any of the information she needed, she looked back at Lyon, who had just walked into the room, "What's the matter with him?"

Lyon grabbed the blanket they usually hung over the back of their couch and draped it over Gray, pushing him down slightly to get him to rest. The lack of resistance didn't really surprise him. Once he'd settled his brother down, he grabbed his keys and motioned for Erza to follow. "Let's talk outside."

Lyon closed the door quietly behind him and began to walk back to the Village Guard headquarters. "It wasn't just Natsu that left, although that is what has Gray so upset. They all did, Erza. Sting, Rogue, Gajeel, and Wendy, they left too. They all climbed atop a flaming dragon and took off."

"I should have realized," Erza muttered, visibly deflating at his words before peering at him. Her eyes widening slowly as she processed the rest of his words.

"Gray saw Natsu's dragon?" Erza covered her mouth with her hand, but Lyon could still see the distress reflected in her eyes.

"It was a little more than that, I think. By the time Natsu and I got there, the dragon slayers had subdued him but... Yeah, he's had a rough day," Lyon sighed, running his fingers through his hair as he tried to think of how to explain.

"Ever since I've known him, Gray has kept everyone at a distance. It took him years to warm up to me. But with Natsu, it's always been different. I think having him leave was bad enough, but to have it be on a dragon that was just like the one that destroyed his village... It was too much for him to handle."

"It was generous of Natsu to leave Gray his scarf. He must have realized how his absence would affect him," Erza's voice was full of pride at Natsu's actions.

Lyon nodded but remained silent. He hated to lie to Erza about Natsu and Gray, but he would honor their request for privacy until he heard from Gray that it was okay to tell others about their relationship.

Erza squeezed Lyon's shoulder gently even as she avoided his eyes, "You should return to him. At a time like this, it's important to have family nearby. Don't worry about work for today, I'll run some basic drills with the recruits and put a basic schedule together for those that remain. Those five won't be easy to replace, but I suppose we'll have to make do with the new recruits."

"I'm sorry, I know this must be hard for you as well," Lyon commented, remembering the dragon slayers were her childhood friends.

Erza waved his concern away in a way meant to show the matter held no importance to her, but which only screamed out her vulnerability.

"I have to go," Erza remarked abruptly, appearing uncomfortable with Lyon's attention. She walked away, but after managing only a few steps she stopped, and without turning called out, "I'll be back to check on the two of you later. I'll bring some food."

Satisfied with her words, she walked off toward their headquarters.

Watching her retreating figure, Lyon realized perhaps Gray might not be the only one who was going to need him. Lyon vowed to watch out for Erza as well.

0-0

Three months later

No matter the weather, Gray never left his house without first wrapping Natsu's scarf around his neck. Even though his scent had faded away after the first few days. The warmth it provided was a constant reminder of Natsu and his promise that he would return.

In the time since the dragon slayers had left, Gray's stripping habit had miraculously disappeared. His anxiety became so great he felt nothing but cold all the time.

The days dragged on, each one seeming longer than the one before it. Gray's life was an endless blur of getting up, going to work, forcing food into his body, and going to sleep.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Night times were the worst. Nightmares of Deliora had plagued him for the first few weeks after the dragon slayers left. He'd awaken only to find Lyon standing over his bed staring down at him, his forehead furrowed in concern.

Eventually, his nightmares gave way to frequent dreams of Natsu as his heart tried to give him what he yearned for, and those were almost more painful because the moment he woke he would experience the despair of finding himself alone once more.

About the only thing he was thankful for was that Erza had asked Lyon to take over the training of the magical recruits, thus limiting Juvia's attempts to get Gray's attention to his off-hours. If she could catch him, that was.

He'd disappear as soon as his shifts were over, which no one, except maybe Juvia, gave him a hard time about, as this had been his custom. Gray would trudge over to the field where they used to spend so much of their time.

At first, it had been hard for him not to associate it with the dragon that had taken his friends away, but he and Natsu had made way too many memories there for him to let go of it without a fight.

He settled comfortably on the spot where he used to watch Natsu sleep and wondered when he was going to see his soulmate again.

I will always come for you when you need me...

Gray could still hear those words echoing in his head, except now, instead of bringing him comfort as Natsu had intended, they felt like a slap to the face. The truth was, he needed Natsu right now. But the dragon slayer was nowhere to be found.

He focused on their bond, trying desperately to glean any information he could from it. But like every other day, all Gray felt was a distant hum, and it made him wonder, if the worst happened, would he even know?

He shook his head to dispel his gloomy thoughts and tried to remember Natsu the ways he loved him best — with a challenge in his eyes and an annoyingly confident grin at the ready or soft and flustered as they kissed.

Gray closed his eyes, letting himself pretend he was waiting for Natsu to wake from one of his naps. He imagined him blinking awake slowly as he used to, his eyes sleepy, but his smile radiant. Gray felt his heart flutter in his chest at the sight, but when he opened his eyes, there was nothing but the empty field.

Natsu, when are you coming home?

"That's enough of that," Lyon's voice brought him back to the present and noticing his brother's outstretched hand, Gray grabbed it and let himself be pulled up.

He examined Lyon's face, searching for any hint of disapproval, but Lyon only rolled his eyes at him.

"Let's go do something," Lyon suggested calmly, "How about we go to the lake? We haven't done that in a while."

Gray nodded and followed his brother. They remained quiet for a few minutes, but Gray could feel Lyon struggling with something. It didn't surprise him when his brother stopped just before the village.

"Things will get better, Gray, but you have to help them along. You've been keeping yourself isolated all this time. Nat-," Lyon thought better of what he'd been about to say, "well, he wouldn't like to see you like this. He promised you he'll return, and that is exactly what the stubborn bastard will do."

Gray managed a chuckle, even as his brain screamed, But when? But the small sound seemed to reassure Lyon that Gray was at least considering his words.

"I know you're right. Natsu would absolutely kick my ass if he saw me pining over him, but I can't help it," It surprised Gray to hear himself confiding in Lyon, "I miss him, Lyon. My whole body misses him. It's this ache inside me that nothing can quiet."

"Uhm, that's a little too much information," Lyon replied, looking uncomfortable.

"No! That hasn't happened yet!" Gray was quick to assure him, his cheeks burning as he realized what Lyon thought he'd said and he tried to explain his feelings better, "Natsu and I have this sort of spiritual connection. It's like with him gone, half of me is missing."

"Then you have to keep this half strong for when it reunites with...," to his credit Lyon was trying to be comforting, but he was utterly at a loss, and it showed. He stopped himself before he made a fool of himself, "I have no fucking clue what I'm saying, but just try to snap out of it a little? Cause I miss you too."

"I—," Gray had never stopped to consider how his actions might affect anyone else. Once again, he felt childish, and he promised himself he would try to do better, "I'll try."

Lyon beamed at his reply, and they headed home to change into swim trunks and grab some supplies. They were discussing some newer guard members on their way to the lake when they happened upon Erza sitting by the shore, her expression unguarded for the first time they could remember.

They glanced at each other briefly and with a shrug approached her, sitting on either side of her. Erza snapped out of her reverie, looking surprised to see them but not showing that their presence bothered her.

"Come to swim?" she asked them, wiping away at her face although they had noticed no tears.

"Are you okay?" Lyon asked, and the care Gray heard in his voice made him wish he hadn't just agreed to be more social. He was well aware of how Lyon felt about Erza, and he worried that Lyon was using him as an excuse to not make a move on the girl he loved.

"Yes, of course," Erza waved his concern away, looking off into the distance at the rippling waters of the lake, "I've always loved it here, it's so peaceful."

She turned to look at Gray, her eyes lingering on the scarf that was never absent from his neck. She rewarded him with a sympathetic smile, "It also brings back memories of when we all used to come here to play. Sting and Natsu would always start these ridiculous splash wars until they got everyone drenched and then it turned into a free for all," Erza wiped at her eyes again, "My mother would be so upset when I got home."

Gray tensed up at the mention of Natsu's name, but he calmed himself down by remembering when he and Natsu had played much the same way. It still hurt, but at least it was a memory he held dear.

"How come you lived at the orphanage with the others if your mom was around?" Gray asked curiously, having always been puzzled by that fact.

"I didn't live in the orphanage. My mother and I lived with Anna," Erza explained, her cheeks blazing for a reason Gray didn't understand, "When my mom left I stayed with Anna until I got my own place."

"Sometimes it feels like everyone I care about leaves me behind," Erza sighed once again causing Gray to stare at Lyon pointedly, but to his frustration, his brother seemed determined not to make a move.

"Would it be alright if Juvia joined you?"

The three friends looked up to find Juvia standing behind them looking uncertain, an umbrella clutched in her arms as always, and before Gray or Lyon could say anything, Erza answered for them, gesturing for Juvia to join them. "Of course, we were just talking about old friends."

Juvia immediately took a seat next to Gray, who tried his best to be polite even though he felt uncomfortable in her presence, "You must enjoy coming here."

"Yes, Juvia always feels untroubled around her element," she peeked at Gray shyly, "Juvia wonders why Gray-sama always wears a scarf, even when it's hot out?"

"It belongs to a friend. One I would like to see return soon," Gray responded, deciding not to bother correcting her on the way she referred to him, knowing from experience it was pointless. Erza grabbed his hand and squeezed it.

"We all would. They may be reckless fools, but we have to trust they'll be okay. It's all we can do. Besides, my mother is with them," Erza reminded him.

Erza told them stories about growing up with Sting, Rogue, Natsu, Gajeel, and Wendy, and Gray found it reassuring to know he wasn't alone in his vigil, that Erza was waiting just as he was. Lyon finally made his move, slowly placing his arm around Erza's shoulders, somehow managing not to freak out when she rested her head on his shoulder.

0-0

Six months since Natsu left...

They had not sighted Deliora for some time, and this made everyone uneasy. Atlas was sure the hellfire dragon was up to something, but Igneel didn't seem to care, more concerned with trying to find an end to the war to worry about anything else.

Acnologia and the other renegades had been even more active than usual, and although most of their kills had belonged to the opposition, no one rejoiced at their deaths.

It hadn't been that long ago that dragons had numbered in the tens of thousands, but in the course of the long drawn out war, their numbers had dwindled drastically until it was now believed there were not more than a thousand left and more than half of those lived in the cave hidden inside the mountain.

Since it was common knowledge that Igneel was one of Acnologia's targets, it had been decided that he should remain at headquarters for his own safety. With Igneel protected by so many dragons, it made Natsu wonder why he was even there in the first place, but seeing how stressed Atlas was all the time, it made him glad to at least be able to help him out somewhat.

This relative freedom was both a blessing and a curse. It allowed Natsu to keep track of his friends and when possible, spend more time with them, but it also put him in Belserion's sights, and his father's advisor had no trouble finding things to keep Natsu occupied. Some were extremely dangerous, and Natsu could only assume Igneel was blissfully ignorant of those missions. Others, however, were mind-numbingly boring.

The worst of these was when Belserion would parade him around the cave, showing him the areas where all the different dragon races lived, making a point of introducing him to every dragon they came across as Igneel's son.

About the only good thing Natsu could say about these excursions was that it was amazing to see so many types of dragons living together in one lair, but it was also mildly irritating to have every dragon immediately treating him with deference.

The dragon slayers, however, still weren't permitted in the dragons' living areas. Wendy was the only exception because of her young age and her importance as a healer. She stayed with Grandine in her quarters, and Natsu saw her regularly as they were both training to improve their healing magic with Grandine and Atlas.

He had tried to boost his healing magic in the hopes it might let him revert any of the physical changes that Atlas had hinted at. It was an ability he'd always had, but it had been nowhere near as powerful as his dragon magic, and it usually took a lot out of him when he used it on others. He'd begun working on mastering more complex spells and increasing his endurance. Figuring even if it didn't help him with his problem, it could at the very least take some pressure off the other healers.

Metalicana, who was about as old as Igneel, hadn't suffered as much injury at Acnologia's hands as Weisslogia and Skiadrum, who were significantly younger. He was often out leading attacks with Gajeel riding on his back belting out orders, and Natsu was often called upon to be a part of these missions.

Rogue and Skiadrum were part of the Shadow Dragon unit. They acted as escorts and intelligence gatherers, their shadow magic allowing them to hide in plain sight. They were currently tasked with finding out Deliora's location so that Igneel might attempt to propose a temporary truce once again.

Out of all their dragons, Weisslogia had been injured the worst, having sacrificed himself to protect his mate Skiadrum from Acnologia's attack. He could no longer fly for long distances, so he spent most of the time roaming around the headquarters, trying to find ways he could be of use.

Natsu had been paired with Sting, Gajeel, and Rogue, but it was usually Sting who was assigned to him. They had recovered some of their closeness, especially considering he was the only one of Natsu's friends who knew what was happening to him.

Out of all the duties he was given, Natsu enjoyed acting as a lookout the best. It was mostly peaceful and he could sit alone with his thoughts. Away from the din of the massive cave.

Natsu flew to the top of their mountain hideout and looked around, extending all his senses to trying to detect any oncoming threat. Not finding any, he gazed up at the night sky and the stars that twinkled down at him.

As always, the color reminded him of Gray's eyes, and it made him feel closer to his mate than anything else in this new environment. Somewhere in Talos, Gray might be looking at the same sky and thinking of him. He smiled at the thought, and even though it caused him some pain, it was a pain he welcomed.

Atlas was convinced the best way to keep his dragon instincts from taking over his mind was to strengthen it, so while Natsu sat and patiently continued to watch for any signs of enemy dragons, he worked on his meditation exercises.

If he couldn't change into a human while he was here, the next best thing he could do was to become more aware of his mind. Recognize his thoughts and feelings so that he could remain as much Natsu as possible. In this way, he hoped to recognize the onset of his dragon instincts and isolate them. It was the best defense he had at the moment, and he hoped it would allow him to stop himself from losing control again.

Natsu had been in more fights than he could count by this point. His kill count had quickly risen, causing him to be in a constant battle against his instincts. About the only good thing to be said was that he had enjoyed none of them like he had the wood dragon, giving him hope that his attempts over the last three months were having some effect.

He needed to relax his mind and body before he could get started, so he spent about thirty minutes each evening breathing deeply and reminding himself of all the things that made him want to remain human.

His first thoughts were always of Gray, for most of all he wanted to stay human for him. But he also thought of Anna and Erza and even the other dragon slayers. Once he had achieved a sort of calm state, he would meditate, a process that made him hyper-aware of his mind and body.

Sometimes Sting would sneak out and join him for a while, eager to get away from the hostility he experienced daily. This allowed Natsu to focus better, as Sting would keep an eye out for him. They rarely saw other dragons at night. With talks of a potential truce in the works, no one wanted to be the one to destroy an opportunity for peace.

That night proved different. To his surprise, Sting, Atlas, Belserion, and Weisslogia all came up to see him.

Natsu immediately came out of his meditative state to look at them worriedly, "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, we're going for a ride," Sting said, emphasizing the we and grinning in a way that Natsu hadn't seen in a few months.

"What are you up to?" Natsu asked, not knowing how else to respond to Sting's obvious glee.

Instead of answering Atlas growled, "We need to do some scouting and Sting volunteered to be your rider, Weisslogia will act as a lookout tonight."

"Okay, but where are we going?"

"Don't worry about it. Let's go," Atlas and Belserion took off, and Natsu let Sting get atop him before following his uncle.

Natsu didn't understand what was going on, but both Sting and Atlas were excited about it, although Belserion maintained his usual impassive stare. Natsu tried to be patient, fighting off the agitation he felt, knowing the others would tell him soon enough.

"I think we're far enough," Atlas announced before landing atop a sizable snow-covered mountain many miles away from their headquarters.

Sting got off Natsu and was positively brimming with excitement as he asked Natsu to change back into his human form. Natsu peered at Atlas, who only nodded. He gawked at the two of them nervously until Atlas nudged him with his head.

"We don't have all night," Belserion reminded him, and Natsu nodded, closing his eyes slowly and calling to his magic. When nothing happened, his heart raced in panic. Was it already too late?

"Calm down. I can hear your heart beating from over here," Atlas snapped, looking bored, "You're just scared because it's the first time you've done it since we left and now you're worried you might not be able to. Do the centering thing you've been practicing and try again."

Natsu did as he was told, breathing deeply and focusing on his sense of self before once again calling to his magic. This time he could feel some resistance, but he could overpower it, and he soon found himself back in his human form.

Sting immediately hug tackled him to the ground, "I'm so happy to see you!"

Natsu could only grin in response, laying still and looking at the sky in relief.

He'd done it!

Natsu did a quick examination of the parts of his body he could observe but couldn't detect any visible changes. He peered at the others, but none of them were looking at him strangely, and it filled him with a profound sense of relief. He was still okay!

"First things first, Deliora has finally shown himself and he has requested a meeting. It is to take place in exactly one week," Atlas informed Natsu, barely giving his transformation any importance as he launched into what he wanted to discuss with his nephew.

"He wants both Igneel and I there, claims I'm the only one he trusts. He didn't ask for you, which makes me think he hasn't heard about your presence yet. I would like to use that to our advantage."

"What are you talking about?" Natsu wasn't sure what was going on, but his dragon instincts were going into overdrive at the mere mention of Deliora, immediately hissing curses at the dragon that had dared hurt his mate.

With a growing sense of dismay, Natsu realized that even in this form, his instincts were just as loud. That was new. He tried not to worry too much about it, as they had always been vocal when it came to his mate.

Atlas regarded him with an irritated expression, "Look, I don't trust Deliora. The only reason to want the two of us there is to ambush us and get rid of the last of the royals. He believes if Igneel and I fall, there will be no one left to stop him from trying to take over what's left of the dragons."

Sting and Natsu both studied Atlas with interest. There was something in his words that nagged at Natsu, but he promptly ignored it. He wasn't interested in any of the politics, he was just there to keep his family safe and get back to his mate as quickly as possible.

"So why would Deliora say he trusts you?"

Belserion interceded, "He doesn't. This is clearly a trap, but if we can take Deliora out that might go a long way towards reaching our goal of ending the war. Igneel means well, but the time for diplomatic gestures is over. There are too few dragons left for us to be playing these games."

Atlas nodded in agreement, "Natsu, Belserion and I have been talking it over. We feel the best course of action is for both of you to follow us to the meeting place. If Deliora's intentions are treacherous, then the two of you can provide backup and help us take him out. If by some miracle he's sincere you can hold back, and he'll be none the wiser. But you must remember, once he smells you, he'll know who you are. Which brings us to something else we wanted to talk to you about."

"Me?" Natsu gaped, not really understanding why they needed him to be involved in all of this.

"Yes, you. You are a royal, Natsu. One of the few left, which means certain responsibilities are expected of you regardless of whether you want them," Belserion replied sternly, peering down at him with a somber expression.

"Igneel and Atlas have their own tasks they must accomplish so this one must fall to you. It carries the added benefit that you can do it while in your human form, which Atlas has mentioned would be beneficial to you."

Natsu didn't know how to respond to Belserion's words. That he could remain in his human form even if only for short periods could only help him retain his humanity! When he realized Belserion was waiting on him, he nodded at him to continue.

"Even if we end the animosity between the dragons, we'll still have the threat of the renegades to contend with. We'll need to scout for a safe place to move the remaining dragons that will be difficult for the renegades to follow. Preferably an unpopulated island of some sort, with some natural barriers to protect it and abundant food sources nearby. This might be the only way we can save the dragons from extinction. When possible, you will come with me while Sting and Weisslogia take over your lookout duties."

"Once we've found an appropriate location, we will need to move dragons there, and then we'll have to start our own war. The dragons that can perform Atlas' counterspell will need to stay behind and hunt the remaining renegades down and remove their magic."

"Did you finish your spell?" Natsu knew Atlas had been working day and night on his counterspell, but he hadn't heard of a significant breakthrough.

Atlas shook his head, "Not yet, but I think I'm close."

"If we think Deliora is truly up to something," Sting spoke up, "Shouldn't you get more dragons involved?"

"Enough creatures have met an untimely death because of Deliora, we'd rather not add any more to that list. He is a problem the red dragons created, it's up to us to rectify our mistake."

"I understand that, but all due respect, the red dragons are some of the strongest dragons we have fighting on our side. If any of you are severely injured, it will be a tremendous loss to our forces. Shouldn't you at least have a backup plan that includes the rest of us? If this turns the tide, it might be good for morale to include others in your plan."

Belserion closed his eyes and remained quiet for a few minutes, his forehead furrowing as he considered Sting's words, "I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to protect our territory... I'll give it some thought."

Atlas and Belserion continued to talk amongst themselves and Sting glanced over at Natsu, who kept looking at his body in amazement.

"So, how do you feel?"

"Relieved, I guess. Part of me had worried I couldn't do it any longer."

"Not gonna lie, I was worried too," Sting admitted, and when he noticed Natsu continue to examine his body intently he tried to reassure him, "You don't look any different, I mean I can't see any areas Gray might be privy to but—"

Natsu's face instantly turned bright red at Sting's comment, and his friend couldn't contain himself from dissolving into giggles before turning serious again as he noticed some scars that hadn't been there when they'd arrived all those months earlier. "You have a lot more scars now. Can you heal them with what you've learned?"

Natsu shook his head, "They're not so bad."

"I know, I have some too, I'd just prefer to have no visible reminder of our time here."

"Are you sorry you came?"

"I don't know. I'd rather be home, even if Erza is as scary as her mother," Sting laughed, but it was hollow, and even as Natsu joined in he couldn't help but worry.

The first snowball caught Natsu by surprise, but he melted it quickly enough and pummeled Sting with snowball after snowball, giving him no chance to make new ones. "You forget, an ice mage trained me!"

And for once, thinking about Gray didn't hurt. He smiled, remembering Gray harping on him about how to make a perfect snowball, and he used that knowledge to nefarious effect. He chased after Sting, who finally sat down in exhaustion and cried uncle. Natsu joined him, biting his lip as he debated whether to ask him what he had been weighing on his mind.

"Hey, Sting?"

"Hmm?"

"What's going on with you and Rogue?"

He'd been trying to get the nerve up to ask for a while, for as much as he loved hanging around with Sting, Natsu found it incredibly strange that he seemed to spend so little time with Rogue. He was counting on Sting feeling more comfortable talking to him in his human guise.

But no matter how much Natu pushed, Sting refused to answer him. Although the frustrated look on his face was answer enough, and they remained in uncomfortable silence until the red dragons told them it was time to go back. Natsu made a note to talk to Rogue when he got the chance.

0-0

A week later...

Atlas waited for Belserion to give him a confident nod before setting off with Igneel to the agreed meeting spot.

"So what do you think he's going to pull, ambush?" Atlas asked, curious of Igneel's thoughts.

It had been a while since his brother had left their headquarters, and Atlas could tell he was happy to be outside once more. He looked almost too relaxed, considering where they were headed.

"Must you always be so suspicious?" Igneel complained, "We're all tired of this, I imagine Deliora is no different, he called this meeting after all."

Atlas snorted but said nothing more. It had been too long since he'd been able to do anything with Igneel, and there was no point in worrying about what lay ahead of them. They had already set things in motion. All he could do now was to protect Igneel as he'd always done and trust that the contingency plans he and Belserion had put in place would be enough to counteract Deliora's treachery.

"What did Natsu say when you told him of the scouting missions?" Igneel asked. That effort needed to remain secret and could not be discussed within the walls of their headquarters.

"He was pleased. He had some trouble transforming at first, but he could do it. They've gone out twice now," Atlas commented, "I'm just glad we could come up with a small way to help him."

Igneel nodded, looking around at his surroundings as they flew, smelling the edges of the territory they had claimed as theirs.

"I, for one, will be glad to return home when all this is over. This land is beautiful, but it doesn't compare to the lake and mountains that surround Talos."

Atlas silently agreed. He had also become attached to their home. There wasn't a day that he didn't miss his room, full of his scrolls, magical items, and ingredients that were scarce in this area. He extended his senses as far out as he could manage, searching for Deliora's familiar scent, knowing he should be able to smell it by now.

He made it out a few miles later, and by the way Igneel stiffened next to him, knew his brother had sensed it as well. Atlas continued his search, chuckling to himself when he detected additional smells. So it was an ambush, as he'd expected. Deliora was nothing if not predictable.

0-0

Natsu waited impatiently for Belserion to finish discussing their plans with Irene. Atlas and Igneel had left for their meeting some five minutes earlier, and Natsu didn't like them being so far ahead.

Five minutes was an incredibly long time in a fight, he'd learned that quickly. Most battles were over much faster than that, even if the aftereffects could last for a lifetime. So far he'd been lucky, he'd bled a lot and had suffered some wounds, but none that could be considered life-threatening.

Sting, Rogue, and Gajeel were standing silently around him, each placing a hand on him as they waited for the operation to begin.

"It's gonna be fine guys, Atlas and Igneel are both strong, and with Belserion and I there to back them up we should all be just fine," Natsu growled softly, not liking the worried expressions on their faces.

"We know," Rogue replied, "and we'll also be there to help if you need it. I guess we're just all hoping this will be it."

Sting and Gajeel grunted their assent. "We'll be right behind the territory line, Runt, remember that. You don't have to be a hero on this one."

Natsu nodded, only half-listening to their words. He was antsy, having had a bad dream the night before, and he urged Belserion to hurry in his mind, knowing better than to utter the words out loud.

After what felt like an eternity, Belserion finally motioned him to follow. Natsu bolted out of the cave opening without even a word of goodbye to his friends. And just like that, they were off. They remained quiet even as they flew faster than usual, both of them wanting to get close enough to see if they were needed.

A few minutes after they passed their territory line, they smelled it. There were many more scents than the three they had been hoping for, and without even a word between them, both dragons added an extra burst of speed. Their worst fears had come to pass.

0-0

The wind shifted and with it came a smell that froze Atlas' blood. The last time he had been up against this particular foe, he'd almost lost his brother.

Atlas glared at the hellfire dragon he had once considered a friend, "Just when I think you couldn't be any dumber, you do something like this..."

Deliora gave no sign he'd heard Atlas, his gaze falling greedily on Igneel, the dragon who had humiliated him and then banished him from his home. Except that hadn't really been their home, Desierto had been their home, and Igneel had moved them all away from it to go on some fool's errand.

The red dragons were mighty and powerful. They should never have gotten involved in this pointless conflict, and if Deliora had had his way they never would have, but here they were, and he'd be damned if he didn't come out on top this time.

He would make Igneel pay for his sins and make Atlas watch as his precious brother was killed in front of him. Not by him, of course. He had worked extra hard and sacrificed countless of his own dragons to make this happen. And as he watched his current ally move away from where he had been hiding and into the open, Deliora couldn't help but rejoice at the looks of dismay on both Atlas and Igneel's faces.

"Well, well, well, I can't believe you were right," Acnologia smiled easily, the hunger in his eyes unmistakable, "The last two remaining royals right here for the reaping. I am going to enjoy tearing you apart limb from limb."

'

Acnologia's wink was sickening, and as he changed into his dragon form, Atlas prepared to fight. He could only thank the stars that they had expected something going wrong.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14K 542 17
"Why him?" Lyon asked, still staring at the sunset. "Hmm?" Juvia mumbled, her eyes pulling away from the beautiful view to look at him. He hesitantl...
Secrets By Izzy

Fanfiction

22.6K 820 13
My name is Natsu Dragneel and I am a Fire dragon slayer at the Fairy Tail guild. I care deeply for my comrades and I will protect them with my life...
786 37 22
Description: Join Hoshi Kaminari Heartfilia and her adopted sister, Lucy Heartfilia on their journey to find their true family and finally feel true...
112K 3K 27
This fic makes me want to end myself, be prepared. Highest ranking #1 in grayxnatsu COMPLETED!!! T^T Cover made by the lovely @JuliaVeronik8!!! Gray...