The Last Dragon Shifter

By ashleymariefiction

Naomi Cliffton believed she would go her whole life hiding her true identity. To the people of Tyrra, she is... More

Dedication - Black Magic Girls
Cast List
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Epilogue
The Last Dragon Shifter Panics!

Chapter Twenty-Three

5.8K 519 30
By ashleymariefiction

The time to find out arrived quickly as the school held its assembly the next day. After their last classes, the students were ushered into the gym for the big reveal. Alongside Naomi, Lark buzzed with energy as they entered the stadium.

"This is exciting. Are you nervous? Is Malcolm nervous? I bet you're nervous," Lark chattered on, squeezing Naomi's arm.

She wished to tell her friend she'd be a lot less nervous without her viselike grip. However, she was too busy seeking out Malcolm. They were supposed to sit as a pair in the first row of the bleachers. It made it easier for them to come up on stage if they were chosen.

The seats were a sea of blue and purple as the uniformed students vied for the best spots. Finally, Naomi spotted Malcolm on the front row, with Figgis and Sam stationed behind him.

"Got to go, Lark. I have to support my 'partner,'" she said, parting ways with her roommate.

"Good luck!" Lark gave another, final squeal of encouragement.

Naomi waved a quick good-bye before taking up her place next to Malcolm. Greeting her fellow guards, she took in Malcolm's stoic figure. The usually composed prince appeared a bit green.

"You okay over there?" She eyed him warily.

"Fine. Why do you ask?" he said, keeping his voice cool. A sharp contrast to his fidgeting fingers.

"No reason. Because there's no reason to be nervous. We'll win. A prince and dragon shifter competing together? Who wouldn't want to see that?"

"She's right. All we'd need is popcorn," Sam chimed in. As his eager eyes focused on the stage, he looked like he wanted a snack right then.

Once Dean Wellington came out and stepped onto the stage, the typical nonsense began: thanking everyone for coming, thanking the contestants for competing, comment on the large voter turnout. It went on to the point where Naomi started fidgeting almost as much as Malcolm.

At last, the woman got down to the business of announcing the winning teams.

"All right, everyone. We're going to do this by grade level." She continued to draw everything out as she pulled out the envelope with the winners' names on them.

"First up, our senior team will be...Oliver and Olivia Rockwell."

Naomi hid her surprise and clapped along politely with the rest of the audience. Oliver and Olivia? Naomi was sure that dynamic duo would have lost. The seniors found their bland personalities more interesting than she did.

After Oliver and Olivia gushed their thanks, Dean Wellington went on to the second envelope.

"Our junior team is...Quinn Hunter and Soraya Dean."

Naomi's applause was more heartfelt. Quinn deserved to compete, and—

And Naomi had a serious problem with how Soraya was clinging to his arm as they walked onstage. The girl was wrapped around him like a snake as Quinn spoke into the microphone.

"Thanks for voting for us. We're going to win this thing!" He pumped the juniors up. Soraya seemed overexcited herself as she kissed Quinn on the cheek.

Yeah. Naomi wanted to find out more about their relationship. She didn't get to hypothesize at the moment, though, as she felt someone's nails dig into her skin.

"What the—" Naomi jumped, noticing Malcolm was clawing at her arm.

"We're up next," he hissed, his face pale.

"I know that. Calm down." Naomi wiggled free of his grip.

Rubbing at her arm, Naomi focused in on Dean Wellington. She was becoming more and more exaggerated, doing a drumroll before she announced the last group.

"And finally, our sophomore team is...Malcolm Greenwood and Naomi Cliffton."

More cheers erupted from the crowd with Malcolm hopping up immediately. He grabbed hold of her again and hauled Naomi onto the stage.

"Thank you, everyone! We're grateful for your support, and we'll come out on top!" Malcolm raised his and Naomi's joined hands in a salute. It was very royal-esque.

While Dean Wellington made some closing remarks, Malcolm spoke to Naomi feverishly.

"My dad is going to love this. He'll be thrilled. Be prepared to clear your schedule. With a victory like this, he's bound to invite us over again."

Then Malcolm's friends and Alicia swarmed around him. As Naomi watched them celebrate in whooping victory, Quinn sidled up next to her.

"Looks like we're on opposite sides. May I say in advance, sorry for your loss?"

"Don't get ahead of yourself. Malcolm and I could totally win," Naomi shot back.

"Fine. Whoever wins buys the other one dinner." Quinn held out his hand.

"You're on." Naomi returned his handshake, sealing their pact. With Quinn around, the Summit Trials might turn out to be fun.

***

That Firan evening, Naomi found herself following through with what Malcolm had surmised. Upon hearing the fortunate news, the delighted king had invited them to dinner. At seven, Naomi headed over to the castle with Malcolm, Figgis, and Sam, with unease coursing through her. In the same black dress from the ball (she refused to ask for Malcolm's fashion help again), she didn't feel properly dressed for dinner with the king. That assumption only grew when she and Malcolm reached the castle gates.

"What in the world is this?" Naomi gaped at the impressive edifice.

The ivory towers had been wrapped with crimson and golden garlands. Every light in the damn place was lit as the windows glistened with a bright invitation. Worst of all, luxury cars lined the long driveway.

"Oh gods, he didn't." Malcolm groaned.

"Did what?" Naomi panicked.

"It's a royal commemoration," Figgis sighed with disgust.

"A.k.a castle party!" Sam whooped, much more delighted than the rest of them.

"You can't be serious," Naomi said, looking to Malcolm for reassurance. All he did was rub his forehead in agitation.

"Afraid so, Cliffton. Father wants to show us off to the High Council."

"The High Council?" Naomi squeaked.

"Few rules," he went on as if she hadn't spoken. "One, you have to keep the sass in check."

"Sass?" Naomi bristled.

"Yes, sass," Malcolm said firmly. "If you suspect whatever you're about to say or do might cause offense, then don't do it. Two, all positivity and smiles. Three, please tell me you've gotten better at the whole curtsy thing."

"Let's just get this over with." Naomi scowled before storming towards the castle.

"So much for keeping the sass in check." Sam snorted from behind her.

Ignoring him, Naomi continued through the security check and other nonsense she had to do before entering the front doors. Once inside, several servants bustled around them, welcoming Malcolm with over-enthused pleasantries.

"They're in the ballroom, I assume?" Malcolm asked one of them.

"Yes, Your Highness. Right this way." The servant flourished his hand with a deferential gesture. As if Malcolm didn't know the location of rooms in his own house. Naomi contained her irritation at the ridiculousness already beginning as she followed behind Malcolm and his new entourage. They were dramatically announced as they entered the illustrious, gleaming hall and came face to face with all eight High Council members.

Naomi's irritation quickly tumbled into anxiety. Dear Dija, they were so intimidating! With their striking posture and million token clothes. Not to mention their austere faces. While they didn't glare at her in disdain, each one of them had the air of knowing they were above...well, everything.

"Naomi! Malcolm! So nice to see you." King Drewell greeted them first, coming over to place a hand on both of their shoulders.

"My esteemed guests, as you know, this is my son, Malcolm, and our exceptional compatriot to the royal family, Naomi Cliffton."

Sensing the formality of it all, Naomi curtsied (decently enough) alongside everyone else's mix of bows and feminine knee bending.

"Um, thank you for having me," Naomi said, mustering up all of her possible refinement.

"And Naomi, I'm sure you're already familiar with our excellent company." King Drewell motioned again towards the council members.

"Oh, yes, of course," Naomi agreed, curtsying once more. Because "of course" Naomi had seen the famed politicians on news broadcasts. But that was just it. On broadcasts. Not in real life, in the royal palace, staring her down with judgmental eyes.

"I just wanted to invite everyone to this small get-together as I've been eager for all of you to meet. Isn't that right, Fiona?" The king deigned to include his wife in the overly cordial festivities. Her dour expression revealed just how happy she was about being involved.

"Oh yes. He was ever so eager," Fiona said with a tight smile.

"Well, I, for one, have definitely been looking forward to meeting Ms. Cliffton," a diminutive woman with sleek dark hair spoke up. Her eyes sparkled with genuine interest as she reached for Naomi's hand.

"Lily Wren. It's nice meeting people outside of the competition."

"The competition?" Naomi asked quizzically.

"In addition, to my council duties, I'm a judge for the Summit Trials."

Of course, she is, Naomi thought, even more nauseous.

Not only had the king walked her into a political lion's den, but he'd also set her up to impress a trial judge. He was going to be severely let down as the only response Naomi managed was a stupefied nod. Thankfully, a cheerful chime resonated in the air, saving them all from the awkward silence.

"That's dinner. Everyone ready?" King Drewell asked before guiding his guests to the dining hall.

With no possible escape, Naomi ended up imprisoned—or rather, seated--between Malcolm and Lily Wren. On the table in front of her, a vast spread awaited: roasted turkey, mini-quiches, and a plethora of fresh vegetables abounded. She was unsure what to tackle first but also grateful for another excuse not to talk. She couldn't do aristocratic small talk while chewing. That was just bad manners. As soon as her plate was full, Naomi fixated on eating while the king struck up a casual conversation. The banal chitchat was all fine with her:

"The weather in Patria is quite nice this time of year." Insert nod and a bite of squash.

"The Summit Trials will be life-changing for you!" Give an enthusiastic smile and nibble on a mini-quiche.

"I'm remodeling my house this spring. I want the living room aesthetic to center around the severed dragon head on my wall."

Full-on turkey leg choke.

Stunned, Naomi locked eyes with the council member who just spoke. Alistar Wood, the illustrious griffon shifter councilman was also apparently a disgusting bigot. He'd been giving her dirty looks all night, but now that he'd gotten his golden opportunity, his stare was unabashedly hostile.

"What did you just say?" Queen Fiona's horrified tone implied even she had a limit on open hatred.

"What's the big deal? My ancestors slayed quite a few dragon shifters in their day. They make great centerpieces," he said after a swig of wine. The red liquid stained the corner of his sneering lip, the epitome of bloodthirsty. 

*** Uh oh! Don't start no stuff won't be no stuff, Alistar! How do you think Naomi will react? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.5K 1.7K 27
When ten teenagers living a regular life found a mysterious book while walking home from school.They brought it in and it looked like the book hasn't...
2.5K 119 21
*PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE* Diana grew up as any typical teenager would in upstate New York. She was her mother's pride and joy with plans to change th...
946K 68.4K 80
โ– QUEENKILLER, KINGMAKER Book 1 โ– Feudal Southeast-Asia filled with magic, daemons, and a royal conspiracy. This is Isla's quest for the truth, and h...
9.8K 433 17
Sabine has spent the past decade hiding from the Wild Hunt. But when a charismatic stranger recruits her to retrieve an invaluable artifact, she'll h...