The Last Dragon Shifter

ashleymariefiction tarafından

Naomi Cliffton believed she would go her whole life hiding her true identity. To the people of Tyrra, she is... Daha Fazla

Dedication - Black Magic Girls
Cast List
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Epilogue
The Last Dragon Shifter Panics!

Chapter Eight

8.3K 611 52
ashleymariefiction tarafından

"Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?" Martin asked, taking Naomi in cautiously.

"No, I'll be fine. I'll meet Malcolm at Legacy's front gates, get the tour, take the stupid test, and be back home in time for dinner," Naomi said, faking a calm demeanor. Inside, she shook with trepidation.

Naomi had promised herself she'd take everything in stride, but she had no idea what she would do when she saw Malcolm. Their next meeting would be awkward, especially since Naomi was sworn to protect him...sort of. The whole situation was a complex mess.

After a few more placating words with her father, Naomi left the house on her mission. She'd meet Malcolm at the illustrious institution situated near the city limits. Transportation to the school was readily available, but Legacy's landscape took up an inordinate amount of space. It hadn't been built in the hub of the city, but just outside it, to provide room for its massive stadium and gardens. While Naomi had never been to Legacy, plebeians of the city like herself already knew this information. The aristocracy made sure to enlighten everyone else about the things they were missing out on.

This bias was one of many of the reasons Naomi didn't want to attend the school. The place was bound to be full of elitist, bratty children. Ones who had everything handed to them by their rich parents. There was no way Naomi would fit in. She'd grown up in a different world, where everyone scraped to get by. She lived in the part of town where starvation, robbery, and homelessness were rampant. Not the peaceful halls of refined estates or majestic villas. While Legacy's students dressed in silk and the finest linens, Naomi sewed up holes in worn-out clothes she'd had for years.

Reflecting on her predicament, Naomi only saw the polished black car when it pulled up right in front of her. Most likely, because the state-of-the-art vehicle ran on the latest technology, powered by energy-efficient, Collis-crafted, alacrity gems. Either way, she jumped back at its sudden arrival, afraid it might run her over.

Her former captor, Captain Sam, flung open the driver's side door. "Get in," he demanded.

"I'm not going back to that dungeon," Naomi retorted, because damn it, this time she didn't care.

If the king was going back on his word, then she would use her powers to send this city to hell. Burn the place down and run off with her father. Maybe they'd find a new settlement in the Silvan woods somewhere.

"Listen, Nina," Sam started with an exasperated sigh.

"It's Naomi," she snapped. She'd had enough of this guard's rudeness. He'd treated her like dirt at the castle and now this. She turned to bolt off, but the prince's voice from inside the vehicle stopped her.

"Sam, stop being an ass." The prince appeared in the car's rear doorway and beckoned for Naomi to join him. "Naomi, please get in. We're here to take you to Legacy."

Face-to-face with Malcolm, Naomi grew tense for a different reason. She wouldn't be going back to jail, but she'd be trapped in an enclosed space with him. The boy who had tricked her—whose deception had caused her current troubles. Yet she had no alternative. She'd made this new commitment, and with the king breathing down her neck, she couldn't refuse.

Reluctantly she climbed inside the car, Malcolm moving over to make room for her. As he did, their arms touched, and Naomi flashed back to the accursed festival. Back when this same touch had sprung a flutter in her stomach. Now all she felt was frustration—the urge to break that arm for the damage he'd brought into her life.

Naomi distracted herself from this train of thought by taking note of the person sitting beside Sam. He turned around to give her a warm smile. He was an elf, with olive skin, smooth ebony hair, and glistening white teeth. Like his partner, he looked to be in his late twenties.

"Hello, Naomi. I'm Captain Figgis. Sam and I are the lead guards for the day shift, while Prince Malcolm attends Legacy. You'll be joining our team. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Captain Figgis held out his left hand for her to shake. A hand that was missing both its thumb and index finger. Despite trying to cover it up, the surprise on Naomi's face must have shone through, because Captain Figgis winked at her.

"Don't worry. I'm actually right-handed."

Flustered, Naomi returned his smile. She figured it was the least she could do for being obvious.

"Nice to meet you, Captain Figgis." She shook his hand.

"Figgis is fine, miss."

After their brief introduction, Sam started up the car, and silence reigned. Naomi could sense Malcolm staring at her, but she ignored him. This game went on for several excruciating miles before Malcolm abruptly flipped a switch that brought a glass divider up between them and the front seat. This way, Sam and Figgis wouldn't be able to hear them. Although, it wasn't from a lack of trying, as Sam threw them furtive glances.

"We should talk," Malcolm said, his voice firm as he faced Naomi.

"You think so?" She continued to avoid his gaze.

"Naomi, look. I know you're upset that I lied to you, but if you only knew...being a prince isn't as much fun as people imagine. Sometimes I like to get away and feel like a normal person."

"Oh, you poor baby," Naomi scoffed.

Inwardly, she was shocked she had the nerve to address him this way. Yet truthfully, she needed this. She needed to vent and rage, and let him know how he'd changed everything with his stupid impulse.

"Your selfish desire for freedom and anonymity has ruined my life. You think I want this?" Naomi waved at them and their surroundings. "Because of you, I was forced to reveal myself, to put my own life and identity in danger for the sake of yours. And now your father wants to keep me under his thumb so badly he's joined us at the hip."

"And you think I want another babysitter? That I want a girl as resentful as you following me around, day in and day out?"

"Don't you dare act as if you can sum me up like that. Like I don't have a right to be angry. Being your guard, going to this school—don't you understand you've ripped me away from my everyday existence? That you and your father are taking me away from MY father, taking away my own choices? Or are you too wrapped up in your ivory castle mindset that you can't see anyone else?"

At this point, Naomi stopped for a multitude of reasons. One, because she'd surely gone too far; two, because she was nearly out of breath; and three, because she was on the verge of breaking down. She wouldn't let the prince see her fall apart. She turned away, not caring about his reaction to her confession.

"Naomi, I..."

The car jolted to a stop, interrupting Malcolm. Sam knocked on the divider loudly.

"Yes, Sam?" Malcolm asked, a hint of exasperation in his tone.

"We're here," the guard replied in a singsong voice.

As she peered out the window, Naomi's mouth dropped at the magnificent building before her. She'd seen images of the edifice before, but in person, it was even more stunning. It was almost as large as the castle. The steeples on the roof seemed similar to grand churches, giving the structure a holy air. Perfect, shiny windows looked down on them, hinting at the glamorous decor within. While it was only a few miles away from the main city, it felt like a majestic land of its own. Even the air smelled fresher.

While Naomi remained dumbstruck, Figgis came around and opened the door for her. Malcolm had already hopped out and was waiting at the building's front steps. After her outburst, he didn't want to be around Naomi anymore, but she didn't care. If she had to put up with him, he'd have to do the same. Naomi followed him up to the school's front doors, while Sam and Figgis flanked them. Sam was to Naomi's left, following a few steps behind. On Malcolm's side, Figgis was right at the prince's elbow. Malcolm glanced over at him in annoyance.

"Figgis, you're hovering again. Don't you remember what I told you about that?" Malcolm asked.

"Yes, but it's my job, sir," Figgis said.

"Job or not, can you give me some space? You're adding your body heat to mine. Any moment, I'll break out into a sweat."

"Yeah, Figgis," Sam goaded. "Some personal space, please."

With a grunt of displeasure, Figgis fell back to Sam's pace.

Nevertheless, he hopped back up to the front to open the door for the prince and Naomi. As she stepped through, Naomi took in Legacy's beautiful front lobby with awe. It was sparkling clean with vast marble floors. Stained glass windows, depicting various species in outdoor scenes, stretched behind the main desk, hiding the rest of the school's chic interior from view.

A surly old elf sat at the front desk, scribbling away on a large stack of papers. Along with the opaque windows, the entryway further into the school was blocked by the receptionist's domain and a formidable gate.

"Hello, Mrs. Tinkle." Malcolm stepped forward to greet the elf. She grunted, annoyed with the interruption—until she looked up and realized it was the prince.

"Why, Mr. Prince Charming. To what do I owe this honor?" the woman asked.

Naomi couldn't decipher whether the woman was acting sardonic or truly reverential. The woman had an odd mix about her, a deadpan tone with a mild expression.

"I've brought someone with me," Malcolm said, urging Naomi to step forward.

"This is Naomi. She's a prospective student who's here to take the entrance exam."

The elf looked Naomi up and down, her watery eyes boring into her. Her brief examination ended with her letting out a derisive snort. "Good luck with that."

Her response cleared up Naomi's doubt. Mrs. Tinkle was definitely sardonic. Glancing down at her desk, she noticed the elf had a "World's Greatest Grandma" mug. Apparently, despite her hostile exterior, someone loved this woman.

Malcolm tsked at her.

"Now, now, Mrs. Tinkle. Naomi has exceptional abilities. She—"

"Yes, yes. I know who she is, and I bet she's a special little snowflake." Mrs. Tinkle dripped condescension into every word.

"Mrs. Tinkle..." Malcolm chided, a sharper edge in his voice. His underlying warning corrected her behavior—slightly. She gave Naomi a cold smile.

"You'll have to sign in and then head to the dean's office."

Naomi dutifully signed her name in the guest log. Mrs. Tinkle silently motioned for Naomi to take her hand. A sparkling, silver band with the school's name on it encircled Naomi's wrist. It wasn't just for decoration or identification. It would also track what parts of the school she visited.

"Okay, snowflake. Follow our Prince Charming. He'll take you where you need to go."

With a wave of Mrs. Tinkle's hand, the gate opened wide enough for them to slip through.

"That was..." Naomi said when they were far enough away from the desk.

"Unpleasant? Flat-out rude? That's Mrs. Tinkle for you. She grows on you after a while, and hopefully, vice versa, once she gets used to you," Malcolm said as he guided her through the halls.

As she traveled down the main corridor, she was taken in by the paintings of past deans on the walls. There were also pictures and plaques of the best students, with notes on their success after graduating from the academy. These ranged from high-profile entrepreneurs to well-known political figures. There was no doubt that Legacy was indeed "A Place Where Greatness Grows," as their school motto declared.

Naomi's nerves began to set in. What the hell was she getting herself into? Being Malcolm's guard would be hard enough, but this school—maybe she couldn't handle it, after all. In spite of her best efforts, Malcolm picked up on her nervousness.

"You're starting to worry, aren't you?" he asked.

Naomi nodded wordlessly. A temporary cease-fire seemed to grow between them as Malcolm gave her a reassuring look. He started to speak but noticed something behind them. Naomi glanced back and they both caught Figgis slowly inching closer to them. Sam trailed behind, whistling innocently.

"Hovering, Figgis," Malcolm called out.

"Yes, sir." Figgis pulled back with a resigned sigh, and Malcolm turned back to Naomi.

"Don't be scared. I'm sure you're going to do fine," he said as they turned onto the second corridor.

As soon as they did, a melodious bell rung out through the halls. The chime cued a mob of students to come bursting out of the classrooms. The sudden stampede would have trampled Naomi if Malcolm hadn't whisked her out of the way. He pushed her behind him and toward the wall. She was safeguarded by the wall on one side, and on the other...by Malcolm. His strong arms held her in their own small, protective bubble.

*** Chapter Break! 😉What do you guys think of this new dynamic between Naomi and Malcolm? It only gets more complicated from here, folks!

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

2.1M 163K 55
Claire fights to prepare herself to fulfill an Unbreakable Promise made in the heat of the moment. A spontaneous adventure north, a catastrophic atta...
218K 12.4K 32
In the supernatural world there are just three rules you must never break - never be different - never be weak - and never ever be a threat I...
154K 5.6K 50
In a new town, a new life awaits Stiles. Will he find out more about his werewolf side from his mother's family or will it be a bust? Is there anyone...
301K 29.1K 82
Her memory was taken. Her skills were not. Her very presence is a threat to everything he has ever cared for. They might make a powerful team... ...