The Last Dragon Shifter

By ashleymariefiction

Naomi Cliffton believed she would go her whole life hiding her true identity. To the people of Tyrra, she is... More

Dedication - Black Magic Girls
Cast List
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Epilogue
The Last Dragon Shifter Panics!

Chapter Six

8.3K 656 56
By ashleymariefiction

It's really happening. My absolute, worst nightmare.

Naomi studied the damp, cement walls of her cell. Prison looked exactly like she'd imagined. Dreary, cramped, horrifying. The gray room closed in around her with the suffocating smell of mildew and dank dirt.

When she was younger and first learning what it meant to be a dragon shifter, Naomi had had this same recurring nightmare of being found out and executed. Her mother soothed her when she woke up screaming. She could still see her mother's face: heart-shaped, mahogany, and with such kind eyes—loving eyes that lulled Naomi back to safety. That made her think things would be okay.

How wrong she'd been.

What if they killed her? Her good deed would end with her demise.

She'd been down here for hours—at least that's how it felt. Every passing minute brought increasing dread and disconcerting thoughts. Images of her death flashed through her mind, haunting her. Right when she feared she'd lost her sanity, a sharp rattling on her cage bars startled her.

A sturdy man with bronze skin and a wolfish smile stood in front of her cell. He gazed at her with the mild amusement and curiosity one would have while looking at a new pet.

"Hey, dragon girl. How you holding up?"

"Um, not well, sir. Do you know when...if...they'll release me?"

The guard guffawed.

"My, you're optimistic. They did tell me to come get you, but I doubt it's to set you free, jailbird." The man cocked his head with a sense of urgency as he unlocked her cell door. "Come on. The king wants to see you."

Hesitantly, Naomi got up but paused at the door. She remained in chains so there was no way she could make a run for it and get far. But maybe...

Sensing her calculating thoughts, the guard placed a hand on his saber. If the weapon was anything like the ones in her dad's shop, the threat wasn't an idle one. Her father and Orin often embedded charms to enhance the swiftness of the blades or to add shockwaves every time they made contact with an opponent. The guard took his menace one step further by shifting his hand into a griffon claw. Flashing his vicious nails at her was only the tip of the iceberg. If the guard transformed into his full griffon form, half eagle and half lion, his strength and ferocity would be vastly superior to her shackled state.

The guard followed up on his threat: "Don't even think about it. Just shuffle on out and follow me."

Naomi did as she was told, trekking behind him. They traveled up from the dungeon to several floors until they reached a grand, wooden door. Her ward knocked and a voice encouraged them to enter.

The guard pushed the door open, and Naomi stepped inside. King Drewell stood at the window, his back to them. From his stately stature, Naomi knew right away this was a man unafraid to make harsh decisions. And at the moment, he held her fate in his hands. It wasn't a comforting thought.

When he turned to her, Naomi froze. What was she supposed to say? Should she bow? Oh yes, she was probably supposed to bow.

Naomi started to drop into a curtsy, realized she was doing it completely wrong, and then settled for an awkward, standard bow instead. Her bound hands hadn't helped her in her poor attempt. From behind her, she heard the guard snicker.

"Your m-majesty..." Naomi mumbled, her head bowed. Eyes on the floor, she heard the king walk toward her. His thick boots clomped against the tiles as if even they issued commands. She saw the tips of the king's shiny, immaculate black shoes as he stopped to stand in front of her.

The next thing within her line of sight was the king's face. He'd dropped down to make eye contact. Briefly, she noted he was the spitting image of Malcolm—or vice versa, given the order of ancestry.

"Naomi...while your reverence is admirable, you can stand back up."

Naomi stood straight, forcing herself to get it together.

"Sorry..." she said. "Uh, sorry—Your Highness, I mean."

"Captain Sam, remove the cuffs," the king ordered.

Sam's face dropped in shock, and Naomi's as well.

"But Your Highness..."

"Sam..."

With the king's insistence, Sam removed the stymie chains but watched her every move.

"Why don't we sit down? We have many things to discuss," King Drewell said. His tone, while neutral, didn't lessen Naomi's tension. Sure, he hadn't beheaded her yet, but the day wasn't over.

After Naomi and King Drewell took their seats, he motioned toward Sam.

"Sam, you may stand outside if you like."

The guard's eyebrows lifted quizzically.

"King Drewell, I don't think—"

"Everything's under control here, Captain Sam. I imagine if Naomi wanted to burn me to a crisp, she would have done it by now."

The king's voice was unthreatening, but the steeliness in his eyes told Naomi a different story. He was giving her a warning, not a reassurance. As an extremely adept elf, the king had his own special set of abilities, ranging from advanced agility, the tricky use of glamour, or power over nature. He'd also had much more time to hone these skills. Despite Naomi's supposedly intimidating status, a fledgling dragon shifter could hardly outmatch a wise, powerful elf who had an army at his disposal.

Once Sam obeyed his orders, King Drewell leaned in toward Naomi.

"Let's get straight to the point—who you are, what you did—"

"King Drewell, I swear I was only trying to help. Prince Malcolm was in danger, and if you let me tell my side of the story—"

"There's no need." The king lifted up his hand with finality and Naomi's heart sank.

"You're not here to be persecuted, Naomi."

"W-what?" Naomi asked numbly. "Are you sure?"

A slight smile lifted the corner of the king's lips.

"Yes, I'm fairly certain. My son told me all about the situation you two were in. He vouched for you. Regardless of your...origin, I owe you my gratitude."

"Thank you, sir," Naomi said.

She wanted to jump in and say more, but she needed to wait and hear him out. She'd already interrupted the king once.

"But you'll also understand why I had you arrested."

Naomi lowered her head. "Yes...I understand. I promise I would never use my abilities against the kingdom. All I've ever wanted is to live my life in peace. It's why I've never shown anyone my powers. Not until today. I'm sure you also understand my position. Why I hid them, I mean."

"True. We both know the history of the dragon shifter people. The...terrible legacy they left behind, but I've decided..."

Naomi's whole body seized up in apprehension.

"I've decided that I agree with you. It would be unfair of me to hold the past against you. Past transgressions you weren't involved in. I know that despite your lineage, you're nothing but a young girl. A girl who, as you said, means no harm and wants to live in peace."

A wave of relief washed over Naomi. She was able to sit back in her chair and breathe.

"Thank you."

"After speaking with Malcolm, I know you aren't a threat to the kingdom or hopefully to anyone else. From everything I've heard, you seem to be a nice girl. But the reassurances I've received won't satisfy everyone else."

"Everyone else?"

"Surely you know the knowledge of your existence has spread throughout Tyrra. Soon, everyone will know your name...and what you are. Not everyone will be pleased about it."

"Oh...I guess that's true." Naomi had been so relieved, she hadn't thought about how others might react to the revelation of her true identity.

"Which is why I have a proposition for you." The king steepled his fingers, a disturbing twinkle in his eyes. "I want you to pledge your allegiance to the kingdom."

"But I already have. I mean, I live here. I live by the rules," Naomi said.

"No, I mean publicly. I'd like you to declare your allegiance to me and the monarchy. People will see that you're a faithful citizen and not a danger to anyone else."

"You think that's necessary?"

"To be frank, I think it's the safest course for you. Once people know you and I are on the same side, you'll have some protection."

Before Naomi could respond, the room's door burst open.

"I've waited long enough! I want to see my daughter," her father shouted as he barreled into the room, the guards following right after him.

Upon spotting one another, Naomi leaped from her chair, and her father rushed forward. He grabbed her by the arms, studying her up and down as if searching for any broken bones or other damage. It had only been a few hours since they'd last seen each other, but Naomi's eyes watered. She'd been sure she would never get to see or hug him again.

"Are you all right? They haven't hurt you?"

"No, Papa. I'm fine."

"Good," Martin said. Then, to Naomi's shock, he stared the king down while wrapping a protective arm around her.

"King or not, don't you think it's in poor taste to speak to a minor without their guardian present? You told me you'd let me see her the second she was pardoned."

Naomi's mouth dropped. Her father could end up in prison for speaking to the king that way. Thankfully, King Drewell didn't look insulted.

"Martin Cliffton, you have every right to be upset. However, I was telling Naomi that she will continue to be safe here within my kingdom."

Martin looked dubiously between the king and Naomi while King Drewell ordered the guards to leave again. Meanwhile, Naomi nodded to reassure her father. His tense posture relaxed a bit.

"Then what do you want from us?"

"Unity," King Drewell said. "Naomi and I were discussing her coming forward and proclaiming her allegiance. She could announce her lineage publicly to clear up any rumors. Then she would reiterate her support for the kingdom, and people will realize she's not a threat."

"No," Martin said. His answer was cold and immediate.

"Papa, you can't tell the king no."

"I can, and I did."

Naomi gave the king a repentant look. Then she turned back to her father, seeking to reason with him. "Papa, the king is being fair under the circumstances."

"Being paraded across the country like some prized political possession isn't fair."

"This is a request from the king. Besides, he says it will offer me safety if I'm seen as an ally."

Martin hesitated uncertainly.

"If you need time to think it over, I understand..." King Drewell began.

But Naomi didn't need much time. Within several moments, she was able to reflect on everything she'd felt and dealt with over the past few hours, let alone her whole life. The terror, the doubts, the ridicule, the loneliness.

She didn't want to live like that anymore.

She didn't want to live in fear or shame.

She didn't want to just get by.

"I'll do it," Naomi said.

She squeezed her father's hand to hush his protests.

"I'll do it, Your Highness. Just tell me what you need from me."

*** Does anyone here think that's a good idea?! Let me know in the comments! 

Either way, something is definitely in the air tonight. More suspicion, dread, and mystery abound in the next chapter. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

153K 5.6K 50
In a new town, a new life awaits Stiles. Will he find out more about his werewolf side from his mother's family or will it be a bust? Is there anyone...
33.6K 1.7K 27
When ten teenagers living a regular life found a mysterious book while walking home from school.They brought it in and it looked like the book hasn't...
48 3 2
Emmeranne Quintus, A not so ordinary but looks it on the outside recently turned Eighteen year old girl, With lots of child trauma and daddy issues...
214K 1.5K 19
One day, I read that in real-life fairy tales, the princess sometimes needs to befriend the dragon and kill the prince, perhaps not to the most extre...