Heaven's Daughter

By writerno980

Suddenly waking up in the body of a ten year old girl, Kairi realized that wasn't only the big change. She wa... More

Chapter 1- The Girl From Another World
Chapter 2- Wei Xing
Chapter 3 - The Ill-fated Couple
Chapter 4 - A Fated Encounter
Chapter 5 - First Lady of Lan Manor
Chapter 6 - The Fifth Disciple of Liu Sect
Chapter 7 - Learning How to Fly
Chapter 8 - A Night with the Womanizer
Chapter 9 - A Heart to Heart
Chapter 9 - Assassination Attempt
Chapter 11 - The Seal
Chapter 12 - The Plan to Elope
Chapter 13 - Chaotic Wedding
Chapter 14 - A New Friend
Chapter 15 - Bullying Right Off the Bat
Chapter 16 - An Eye for an Eye
Chapter 17 - Taking Over the Manor
Chapter 18 - A Hero in White
Chapter 19 - Big Brother to the Rescue
Chapter 20 - They Meet Again
Chapter 21 - The Seal (ll)
Chapter 22 - The Seal Cracks
Chapter 23 - A Rare Golden Firebird
Chapter 24 - A Golden Egg
Chapter 25 - Taking a New Master
Chapter 26 - Advancing
Chapter 27 - Marriage Proposal
Chapter 28 - The Competition Starts
Chapter 29 - The End of the Competition
Chapter 30 - A Date in Yang City
Chapter 31 - Rejection
Chapter 32 - Encountering the 2nd Prince
Chapter 33 - Warning
Chapter 34 - A Deal to Switch Sides
Chapter 36 - Confessions (2)
Chapter 37 - Truth Behind the Seal
Chapter 38 - A Royal Family's Dark Past
Chapter 39 - Third Prince Dies
Chapter 40 - The Last Phoenix
Chapter 41 - Mercenary Core
Chapter 42-Level Four Black Token Holder
Chapter 43-Darkness Within the Heart
Chapter 44-Return to Lan Manor
Chapter 45-Reunion
Chapter 46-What are We?
Chapter 47-Can't Compare
Chapter 48-Letter from the Second Master
Chapter 49-The Beauty Zi Yi
Chapter 50-Infiltrating Tian Ling Sect
Chapter 51-Trapped
Chapter 52-The Traitor of Liu Sect

Chapter 35 - Confessions

56 3 1
By writerno980

The assassins all drew their blades. Kairi and Zhang Sheng were quickly circled in by the assassins. Almost immediately, Zhang Sheng pulled Kairi behind him. All of the assassins' identity were hidden behind masks.

"Who are you?" Zhang Sheng asked angrily. The leader of the assassins didn't reply. Instead, he screamed for his team to attack. With no sword or weapon at hand, Zhang Sheng wrapped an arm around Kairi's waist and easily jumped out of the circle. They were too far out to call for help and could only try to escape. As they were running, Kairi brought her thumb and forefinger to her lips. She whistled loudly almost immediately her sword came flying from a distance.
"Do you always call your sword with a whistle?" Zhang Sheng asked feeling amused. Kairi caught the chuckle in his question and sent him a glare before catching her sword. She knew she should just call her sword with her soul but she had grown used to whistling for it. Seconds later, Zhang Sheng's sword also came flying towards him. The two of them finally stopped running and faced off with the assassins. As the two of them fought ferociously with their attackers, they kept increasing. It was as if, someone had cleared out all the guards outside knowing that they would escape into their trap.

"We can't fight off all of them! We need to find help!" Zhang Sheng exclaimed. He was about to grab Kairi but the assassins had foreseen his move. Several of them jumped in front of Zhang Sheng, putting a wall between the two of them. Kairi was now on her own battling it out with four assassins. All four assassins were just as strong as she was, if not stronger. She was slowly being pushed further away from Zhang Sheng with every that had come from the assassins.

"I might not win..." she thought. No sooner had those words crossed her mind, a sharp wail filled the air. Massive fireballs came soaring from the sky and hitting the backs of each assassin.

"Xiao Huo!" Kairi exclaimed. She could see Xiao Huo's golden wings glowing in the night sky. He soared down and picked up a few assassins with his beak. Once he was high up in the air, he let them loose and watched the assassins fall to their deaths. The fight was slowly turning in their favor(?). Seeing how strong Xiao Huo was, the leader of the assassins called for a retreat.

"Don't chase after them," Zhang Sheng called out when Kairi started to follow them.
"Why not?"

"We're outnumbered and they were merely taken by surprise when Xiao Huo showed up. Once they regroup, we won't stand a chance. Our best bet is to return to the palace," Zhang Sheng explained. He snapped his sword shut and examined one of the dead bodies. There were no marks and the face of the assassin didn't look familiar either.

"Who are they?" Kairi asked.
"It's hard to say."

"Could they be from the second prince? You said that he planned on making a move tonight," Kairi suggested.
"Maybe... but something doesn't feel right," Zhang Sheng said. Kairi didn't get to ask more because the imperial guards had shown up with Wan Yi at the front.
"Brother! What happened?" Wan Yi asked. His eyes traveled from Zhang Sheng to Kairi and then Xiao Huo. "This is...! A golden firebird!"

Xiao Huo screeched a warning at Wan Yi and spread his wings only for Kairi to pat his neck.
"It's alright, Xiao Huo. They won't hurt us," she said calmly. Once again, Zhang Sheng stepped in front of Kairi protectively.

"How'd you find us?" Zhang Sheng asked suspiciously.

"I was just about to return to my quarters when I saw a golden bird fly passed by. I knew something was wrong so I called up the guards to chase after it," Wan Yi explained.

"I see... have the guards search the entire perimeter. There were assassins here tonight. Find out who they are," Zhang Sheng ordered.

"Yes, brother," Wan Yi said obediently. Kairi had never felt such a tense atmosphere before. Thankfully, Zhang Sheng didn't have anything more to say. He grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her away meanwhile Xiao Huo sat on Kairi's shoulder comfortably after shrinking to the size of a golf ball.

Instead of returning to her courtyard, Kairi was taken straight to Zhang Sheng's courtyard. As soon as they were safe inside, Zhang Sheng placed barriers on all exits.

"You'll be staying here until we find out who those assassins are," Zhang Sheng said. Kairi has never been inside Zhang Sheng's place before. It was definitely a prince's quarters. There were priceless decorations and silk. If Kairi snuck away with a few of the items in Zhang Sheng's room, she was sure she could live a life of luxury for several years. Kairi took a seat on one of the chairs and started to take off the hair decorations on her head, first starting with the jade hairpin. She hasn't faced danger like that in a while. If Zhang Sheng and Xiao Huo weren't there, she was sure she'd be dead. Once her head didn't feel so heavy with the hair ornaments, she placed two fingers on her wrist to check her pulse. It was steady but her energy was fluctuating. The fight must've caused it. She'll need to draw in more spiritual energy tonight to sustain it.

"How are you feeling?" she suddenly heard Zhang Sheng asked. He didn't wait for her to answer as he suddenly walked around her to stand behind her. With a palm on her back, he immediately started sending her spiritual energy. Seconds later, he stopped.

"This is...!" he came back around to the front. He seemed more worried now than when the two of them were facing the assassins. "Is your body constantly releasing high spiritual energy like this the entire time?"

"Yes," she replied feeling tired.

"This is insane and abnormal! If you keep this up, your body won't survive in the long run," he explained. He raised his pointer finger up ready to close her main meridian point but Kairi quickly stopped him by grabbing his wrist.
"Don't. I'm already used to this. You know that my core is already sealed. If you close my meridian points, I'll be defenseless," Kairi said. Zhang Sheng seemed troubled as he struggled to come to terms with her situation. Seconds ticked by and he finally lowered his hand. Once Kairi was sure that he wasn't going to do anything, she finally released his wrist. She was just about to breathe out a sigh of relief when Zhang Sheng pulled her into an embrace.

"I'm sorry," he said suddenly. Kairi's eyes bulged in surprise. His body shook as he held her tightly in his embrace. "No matter what I do, I always seem to fail in protecting you."

Kairi froze. She didn't know how to react to his embrace. All this time, he ignored her and when they did see each other, they would argue. She hasn't seen this side of him since they were outside of the palace.

"I'm done hiding how I feel. No matter what I do, Wan Yi just keeps trying to approach you. If that's the case, I'd rather have you by my side," he admitted.

"What...?" Kairi was unsure of what she had just heard. Did he admit that he liked her? He pulled away and locked eyes with her.

"I'm saying that I'm in love with you. Every second that I'm not by your side, tears me apart inside. Just seeing him stand next to you drove me insane. I want to gouge out every man that so much as lay his eyes on you. That's how much I want you," he explained. Was this another ploy of his? Kairi didn't dare believe his words. She was afraid that the moment she opens up to him, he would shoot her down again.

He must've have seen the distrust in her eyes because he instantly let out a heavy sigh.

"I know it's too much for you to believe anything I say right now but I'll prove my feelings for you in due time. It's best if you rest up," he said and led her toward the bed. Upon seeing the large bed, Kairi's eyes widen and she pulled to a stop.
"We're not sharing the same bed, are we?" she asked.

"I haven't even thought about it. What a great idea!" Zhang Sheng joked as he continued to pull her toward the bed.

"Zhang Sheng!" she hollered angrily. He let out a playful laugh. She hadn't heard him laugh freely like that in a while. Even after receiving a glare from her, he was still laughing. "Laugh it up. We'll see who gets the last laugh in the end."

Using her light speed maneuver skill, she raised her fist in the air ready to strike that handsome face of his. She hadn't expected him to be just as fast. He dodged her punch and with a pull of his hand, the both of them went tumbling onto the bed.

"Oomph!" Kairi fell first and Zhang Sheng landed right on top of her. It would've been quite romantic had she not prepared her fist. As he landed on her, Kairi already prepared a fist ready to strike him. She ended up hitting him right in the abdomen. He let out a loud oomph and rolled off of her. Zhang Sheng curled into a ball clutching onto his stomach for dear life. Kairi instantly burst out laughing when she saw his posture.

"You used to be so cute," he muttered under his breath.

"What was that? You want more?" Kairi asked while holding up her fist. Zhang Sheng let out a nervous laugh and quickly got up to his feet.

"I'm a complete gentleman. Of course I would never force you into bed with me," he said with a serious face. She returned his statement with an accusation.

"Right..." she said sounding very unconvinced. He let out another laugh.

"It's been awhile since I've seen you laugh like that. It's a shame you don't do it often," he said suddenly switching topics. It seemed that his thoughts also mirrored hers. The two of them haven't joked like this in a long time. The rift between them continuously grew with each conversation they held but tonight felt different. Kairi thanked the dim lighting and looked away hoping he wouldn't see her face turn red.

"It's hard to laugh under these circumstances," Kairi retorted as she thought about her life in the palace in these several months that had passed by. The smile on Zhang Sheng's face disappeared. Once again, Kairi brought up something they both had been avoiding.
"I hope you don't go near the second prince alone. He's dangerous," Zhang Sheng said. Kairi suddenly wondered if the second prince really was as dangerous as Zhang Sheng claimed.

"I have a spy who brought back information saying that the second prince was planning something. I could only assume that the assassination attempt would be that plan," he said honestly. Kairi cocked her head to the side as she thought about the things Wan Yi had told her. Then why was the second prince so intent on getting her on his side? If he wanted her on his side, he wouldn't try to kill her, she thought. She didn't plan on telling Zhang Sheng just yet. She couldn't trust him after seeing him hide so many things from her.

"I see..." she said finally. Her hands were suddenly grabbed by Zhang Sheng. He got down onto one knee and locked eyes with her.

"I promise I'll tell you everything once I make sure that nobody would cause you any more harm," he promised. Kairi didn't know what to say so she only nodded in reply. Seeing that she had agreed, he finally stood up.

"I'll send in a servant to help you get changed. If you need anything, I'll be in the room next to yours," he said and went to open the door. Xiao Huo flew in and landed right beside her.

"Xiao Huo! You're a lifesaver tonight!" Kairi exclaimed and stroke his feathers lightly. Xiao Huo let out a soft cry and nipped at her arm playfully.

"Indeed he was. I'll send someone to bring him a treat also," Zhang Sheng said and left the room. Xiao Huo flapped his wings happily knowing he was about to get a treat.

"You're such a glutton," Kairi groaned but Xiao Huo didn't care.

That night, Kairi struggled to fall asleep. She couldn't help but think that the assassins tonight weren't hired by Wan Yi. They were so intent on killing her yet Wan Yi was trying to win her over. There was the promise about him spilling the truth behind everything. If she could just find out what Zhang Sheng was hiding, everything would fall into place. She had once unconditionally trusted Zhang Sheng. Now she couldn't even do that.

"It's getting quite dangerous living here, don't you think, Xiao Huo?" Kairi asked as she stared up at the night lit sky. Xiao Huo was already asleep but he let out a soft coo in reply. She smiled at the tiny golden firebird who laid asleep on her pillow. Now that Xiao Huo had shown its real size, it's only a matter of time before someone else attacks her.

"I guess it's time to take a gamble," Kairi said and walked over to the table where her jade hairpin lay. Taking one last look at it, she left it where it was. She knocked on Xiao Huo's head lightly to wake him up.

"Xiao Huo, we've got work to do," she told him. Xiao Huo's eyes fluttered open and it was alert the moment she spoke. He flapped his wings in reply and landed on her shoulder.

The breeze that night was warm and many guards struggled to keep awake which was perfect for Kairi. She made her way to the eastern palace where Wan Yi resided. The closer she got to the palace walls, the more she found it strange. The amount of guards should be just as high as Zhang Sheng's palace yet there were barely any guards in sight.

"Is this a trap...?" she thought. She scaled the wall with ease and hid in the shadows. She slipped through the first line of guards and made her way through the corridors. The deeper she went in, the less guard there were. It was as if someone had purposely removed all the guards. Just as she was thinking this, a soft tune could be heard.

"A flute...?" she recognized the song. It was the same song Wan Yi had played to lure the wild horses in the pasture. Just like the flute, she had been played. She followed the sound of the flute confidently. She didn't even bother to hide knowing that her path had already been cleared for her. The song led her to a pavilion in the middle of a lake. The moon light lit up the lake giving it a mysterious air. She cautiously approached the dark figure standing in the middle of the pavilion. The song came to a stop but the person didn't turn around.
"You're a little late, aren't you?" came a soft soothing voice. Kairi stood outside and watched as Wan Yi sat down and poured two cups of steaming tea.

"You knew that I'd come here tonight?" Kairi asked. He didn't answer her question, instead he motioned for her to sit down opposite from him. She sighed and took a seat. She didn't even hesitate to drink the tea.

"Aren't you scared that I could have poisoned your tea?" he asked. Kairi set her cup down and snorted. It was unladylike but Wan Yi only chuckled.

"If you wanted me dead, you wouldn't have cleared out your palace guards," she retorted.

"What if it was all to trap you here?" he asked slyly.

"You wouldn't dare. I had just been attacked tonight. If I go missing, you're the first person Zhang Sheng would be suspicious of," she replied dully. Taking another sip of her tea, she calmed her nerves and finally drew the conversation to the reason why she had snuck into his palace in the first place.

"That deal from before, you said that you'd explain the reason behind everything including the attack on Liu Sect if I join your side," she said.
"I did."

"Tell me everything," Kairi said. The two of them locked eyes. Neither one willing to back down. After seconds ticked by, Wan Yi finally sighed.

"Make an oath with me first," he said as he held out a palm.
"What kind of oath?"

"You will marry me once I tell you everything," he said.

"Marry you?" she exclaimed.

"That's right. Marry me."

"And if I refuse?"

"Then there is no deal," he said. Kairi smirked as she gripped her cup tightly.

"The deal was, I join your side if you tell me everything," she said through gritted teeth.
"If you join my side, I will have you as my bride. It's practically the same thing," he said. Kairi bit her lower lip as she contemplated. Marriage for the truth. Did she want to marry this prince in front of her? He was cunning and manipulative. Could she live a life with him? Her thoughts drifted to Zhang Sheng who had just professed his love for her earlier that night. She didn't believe it but somewhere deep inside of her, she was happy. As she thought about the deal, she suddenly remembered about oaths. Oaths didn't mean a thing to her especially when she wasn't Xiao You nor was she a part of this strange world. She had made and broken oaths plenty of times in the past without any repercussions. Holding her hand out she said, "Let's make an oath."

Smiling at her defeat, he placed his palm on top of hers.

"I, Xiao You, make an oath. Marriage for the whole truth," she said. Their palms glowed brightly for a second and then dissipated. As the light faded from their palms, she silently made an apology to Xiao You for using her body to make oaths. Seemingly satisfied at her oath, Wan Yi smiled.

"What would you like to know?" he asked.

"First, why did you try to kill me and then suddenly want me on your side?" she asked.

"Kill you? I've never tried to kill you," he replied.

"Lies. Who were those assassins sent by then? Aside from my stepmother who hires measly thugs to make my life miserable, there is no one else I can think of who would want me dead," she said.

"That is something I am quite curious about. I did not hire any assassins to take your life. I swear on my honor as a prince of this kingdom." Wan Yi held up three fingers to the sky as he swore. Something wasn't right. If those assassins weren't on Wan Yi's side then who wanted her dead?

"Then tonight when those assassins showed up, you swear you have nothing to do with them?" she asked.

"Once again, I swear that those assassins had nothing to do with me. The plan tonight was to attempt to bribe you over to my side seeing as you look quite reasonable."

Kairi was wondering if he was lying despite being bound to an oath to speak the truth. Could the oath have failed both ways?

"Why are you trying to fight for the throne when Zhang Sheng has been titled the crown prince?" she asked. Wan Yi's smile disappeared.

"I can't lie and I rather not speak of it," he simply said.

"I thought you said you would tell me everything?" she retorted. He sighed heavily and said, "As you know, we do not share the same mother. His mother was a royal consort while my mother was merely a concubine. I could care less about the throne but if it wasn't for Zhang Sheng's mother, my mother would still be alive right now. I'm bounded by an oath. I'm unable to kill my own siblings. It's an oath all children of the king are forced to make. It's to keep the kingdom from falling to pieces but if I can make that woman spill blood from seeing me on the throne, then so be it."

So he was doing all this as an act of revenge for his mother, Kairi thought. She hadn't expected that at all. Seeing how awkward the atmosphere had become, Kairi quickly asked her next question.

"You said you know why Zhang Sheng keeps me hidden. Why?" she received a chuckle and Wan Yi finally locked eyes with her.
"Well, simply put, you're the girl of destiny."

1. At the beginning where Zhang Sheng explains about the assassins being hired by Wan Yi. Need to rethink that. Wan Yi is not the bad person. Later in the story, Zhang Sheng will forfeit the crown and give it to Wan Yi.

2. Assassins at the beginning should be hired by the real villain. -à Prime Minister?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.6K 3.7K 36
A child, only fourteen, dies. Reborn into another world as the prince of a monarchy, what will he do with the absolute power he was reborn with? Los...
11.5K 801 57
A Thousand year old Forest guardian has loved only one human woman but can never have her. She often slips away from him through death and there was...
1.1K 137 13
In 'Blooming from the Ashes,' we follow Liliana Frostvine, a 14-year-old commoner who secures a spot at the esteemed Phoenix Academy of Enchantment t...
218 19 19
๛ A international fairy was having fun in her free garden with her master to keep eyes on and take care until she fall into this trap to sent her far...