A Rose Amongst Thorns

By natashacobb

Arthit Rojnapat, a florist, has escaped from an abusive relationship to start his life over again. Now, with... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Four

3.1K 199 15
By natashacobb

Arthit's was nervously bouncing his leg sitting in the courtroom. Rome was doing his best to lessen Arthit's anxiety but was miserably failing. He placed his hand on Arthit's leg to still the bouncing, when he noticed Arthit was also shaking.

"Arthit, you have to calm down. He can't hurt you in here. Everything is going to be alright. You must have faith. Justice will be served."

Arthit wiped away the lone tear that fell from his eyes. He was doing his best to keep his eyes forward. He could feel Mike's eyes boring a hole in his head from across the room. Sitting at the plaintiff's table with his attorney on his left and Rome on his right, he was scared to death. After his session with Kongpob, he had filed charges against Mike. While those charges were being sorted, the police advised him to seek a restraining order against Mike. Despite his fear that Mike's family connections and political power would allow him to walk free, he swallowed his fear and submitted the application for an order of protection to the court.

Seated across from him, Mike was sitting with his attorney, a smirk on his face. He was staring directly at Arthit, which only heightened his fear. Mike's attorney would periodically lean over to Mike and whisper in his ear, making Mike smirk even harder. He seemed unworried, which worried Arthit. He started to stand when the bailiff called the court to order.

"All rise. The honorable Boonsri Panischad presiding."

The judge took her seat behind the bench and took a file from the court clerk.

"Good morning everyone. We have convened this morning to entertain an application for an Order of Protection on behalf of Mr. Arthit Rojnapat against Mr. Michael Tanawat. Is the applicant present?"

Arthit's attorney stood and responded in the affirmative.

"Is the respondent present?"

Mike's attorney also stood and responded.

"Okay, let's begin. Mr. Rojnapat, please take the stand."

Arthit closed his eyes, took a deep breath and slowly stood. Rome squeezed his hand before he slowly walked to the stand. He kept his head down and cradled his heavily bandaged wrist in his lap.

"Mr. Rojnapat, according to the application submitted to the court, you have stated that you are in fear of your life and believe the respondent, Mr. Tanawat, has intentions of doing you bodily harm. Is this true?"

Arthit nodded slowly.

"I'm sorry Mr. Rojnapat, I'll need you to respond audibly."

"Oh. Um, yes. That's true."

"Please explain why you feel this way."

Arthit focused his sight on Rome, who smiled at him and mouthed "you can do this" to Arthit.

"Well, Mike and I dated for several years. Throughout our relationship, he beat me several times, broke my arm, fractured my collarbone, blackened my eyes on several occasions and caused several concussions. Most recently, he surprised me at my florist shop drunk and attacked me. He twisted my wrist and knocked me unconscious."

Arthit teared up relating the information and wiped at his eyes.

"Mr. Rojnapat, do you have proof to validate these allegations?"

"Yes, your honor."

Arthit's attorney stood, approached the bench and submitted Arthit's medical records and statements from treating physicians and Rome. The judge reviewed the information and turned back to Arthit.

"Thank you, Mr. Rojnapat. Your may step down and return to the plaintiff's table." The judge turned towards Mike and his attorney. "Mr. Tanawat, please take the stand."

Mike walked to the stand, shooting Arthit a glare on his way.

"Mr. Tanawat, the plaintiff has provided the court with an application alleging repeated abuse at your hands and that you have made terroristic threats towards the plaintiff. How do you respond to these allegations?"

"You honor, it is true that Arthit and I have fought over the years, but we were both injured in those skirmishes. Unfortunately, due to my size and my strength, Arthit sometimes got the worse of those injuries. I am not a violent man, your honor. I have never been arrested and Arthit has never filed charges against me until now. I believe Arthit has been coerced into filing this application against me. If I was such a bad person, why did he stay with me for so long and why has never called the police?"

"Mr. Tanawat, corroborating affidavits have been filed by plaintiff's counsel for his most recent injury to his wrist. Do you have an explanation for this?"

"Yes, I do. I visited Arthit at his shop because I was interested in reconciling with him. I was not drunk that day. While trying to talk with Arthit, I was attacked by his friend, making me fall to the ground. I suffered a gash to my forehead, which required several stitches. While falling to the ground, I landed on top of Arthit, and that's how he hurt his wrist."

"You are a FUCKING LIAR! You bastard!" Rome jumped to his feet and screamed at Mike. Arthit's attorney grabbed Rome's arm and pulled him back to his seat.

"Quiet, sir! This is not the place for such outbursts."

"But he's lying, your honor! He attacked Arthit and I had to defend him."

"Sir, I will not warn you again. Affidavits have been submitted on the plaintiff's behalf, so be seated. If you call out again, the bailiff will remove you from this courtroom. Have I made myself clear? Mr. Tanawat, thank you for your testimony. Please return to the respondent's table."

Mike headed back to his seat, but not before looking at Arthit and licking his lips. Arthit could feel the bile rising in his throat. He swallowed hard to keep from vomiting in the courtroom.

"Thank you everyone for your testimony. I will take a brief recess to consider everything and return with a decision on the application."

The bailiff stood between the tables, in front of the bench and announced, "court is in recess for one half hour."

Arthit ran from the courtroom in search of the restroom. He burst into the stall and emptied the contents of his stomach. Arthit could no longer hold his tears as he slumped to the floor and cried into his hands. He saw that his bandage was getting wet so he got up to get some hand towels from the dispenser. He was washing his face when heard the door open.

"Oh Arthit, when are you going to learn that you will never be free of me? Baby, don't you know how much I love you? I would do anything for you. Just come back to me. I promise I'll never lay another hand on you. I can't live without you."

Mike stepped towards Arthit. Arthit rushed back into the stall and locked the door.

"Stay away from me." He climbed atop the commode and crouched, holding his knees. Taking out his phone, he called Rome. Mike began kicking the stall door and calling Arthit's name.

"Arthit? Where are you?"

"Help me Rome. I'm in the restroom and Mike is here. I'm in the stall but he's kicking the door. Please bring help."

The kicking stopped and Arthit heard steps running towards the door. Believing Mike to have left, Arthit slowly unlocked the door and opened the stall door. Standing in front of the stall was Rome. Arthit immediately fell into his embrace, his body shaking from the sobs.

"Arthit, are you okay? Did he hurt you?"

Arthit shook his head.

"Rome, I can't go back in there and see him."

"Arthit, we have to go back in the courtroom and tell the judge what happened. If you don't, he may get away with this and the judge won't give you the restraining order."

"I can't, Rome. I don't think I can be in the same room with him. I'm scared."

"Arthit, he can't hurt you inside the courtroom. Come on. I'll be right there with you. You have to try, okay?"

Arthit closed his eyes and slowly nodded. Rome held his hand and placed his other arm around his shoulders.

Entering the courtroom, Rome could see Mike sitting at his table smugly watching he and Arthit. He shielded Arthit from his view and glared at him. Rome leaned over to Arthit's attorney and told him what just transpired.

The bailiff retuned to the courtroom and announced the judge. She once again took the bench and addressed the litigants. Arthit's lawyer stood and asked if he could approach the bench. Granting his request, both attorneys approached the bench and spoke with the judge.

Returning to his table, Arthit's attorney sighed deeply and leaned over to whisper to Arthit and Rome. Arthit put his head down and cried.

"Having reviewed the evidence presented here today, I find that there is no basis to grant the plaintiff's application for a protective order. Court adjourned."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

155K 5.1K 18
After Arthit left the love of his life, Kongpob, he decided to come back to Thailand because of an unexpected circumstance. What will happen if he me...
4.2K 244 9
Arthit can't help taking Kongpob's presence for granted, thinking the younger man will always be there by his side. But reality comes crashing in to...
93.4K 5.8K 14
When Arthit's university junior, and self proclaimed rival, Kongpob rescues Arthit from an overly eager coworker with a crush, their relationship bec...
164K 6.9K 56
Kongpob and Arthit both were set for an arrange marriage. At first Arthit was loathing the idea but gradually feelings evolved and he had to share hi...