Breathe

By xgiannx

A lot has changed since Kiri has left to go back home, and Asher finds himself struggling to move on. Tired o... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six | end

fourteen

4.8K 322 261
By xgiannx

"Look what I found," Conan said when he came back into the room the next day. I was laying on his bed, Kian was back on the beanbag, and some weird music was playing – not that I minded it.

He dropped a pack of cookies on the bed when he collapsed next to me, and I reached for it to give it a closer look.

"Can't," I said, letting them fall back on the bed. "They're with wheat."

"So what? You dieting?" Kian asked, already crossing the room to get to the cookies. I shook my head as I watched him rip the pack open.

"Celiac."

A smug grin spread on Kian's face as he shoved a whole cookie in his mouth before saying something unintelligible. Conan rolled his eyes, jerking the pack out of his friend's hands.

"You're fucking disgusting. Go back to your corner."

Kian quickly swallowed, his grin not having changed the slightest when his dark eyes fell on Conan.

"Not without the cookies."

"Nah. Get your own, these are ours."

I rolled my eyes. I just told him I couldn't eat them.

Kian leant down in an attempt to get the cookies back, but Conan was faster and held them away from him. Soon enough they were wrestling on his bed, causing me to quickly retreat to the carpet before I could get involved in anything.

I was tired, I wasn't exactly excited to be here, but most of all, I was freaked out. I couldn't stop thinking about yesterday, how Asher had touched my earring, how he had invited me over. How he had found out about the cigarettes.

Conan finally pushed Kian off of him so he fell on the floor with an unpleasant sounding grunt, before getting up himself.

"Fuck you, Kian. I hope you choke on those cookies," he said. "Let's get out of here kid, I need a cig."

"I'm good," I replied, forcing a smile at him. He stopped in his tracks, one of his eyebrows slowly wandering upwards.

"You're what? It's just a quick smoke."

"Yeah, and I said I don't want to." I shrugged, hoping he would just leave me alone about it already. I really didn't want to smoke anymore.

"Just smoke in here," Kian said, grabbing the pack of cookies and walking back to the beanbag.

Conan rolled his eyes. "You're so fucking stupid. My parents would kick me out in a heartbeat, you know that."

Kian rolled his eyes. "Not my problem."

I briefly narrowed my eyes at him before looking back at Conan. "I'm good, thanks," I repeated. He shook his head, obviously not pleased, but grabbed his stuff and went out into the backyard by himself.

Kian munched on a cookie, watching me. "You sure you're not just dieting? I heard there's lots of those anorexic kids coming from cities."

Once again, I was momentarily speechless. Kian was just one big question mark to me. "I'm not anorexic. I just don't wanna get sick for a cookie."

"But you're willing to wreck your health for a small burning stick," he replied, his attention returning to his snack. My brow twitched, but I didn't look away.

"You don't smoke?"

Kian laughed a little, but it was dry and humorless. "Just because I'm best friends with a walking chimney doesn't mean I'm the same level of stupid, dude."

I shrugged. "Wouldn't be hard to believe."

"Nah. Smoking was never my thing," he replied, sitting up a little. "I'd rather eat this shit and get fat."

My ears were slowly but surely growing red, and I looked away. Kian was absolutely right, smoking was a new level of stupid. I should just quit already.

No, I had to quit. Asher would never approve if I kept doing it, and Asher was all that mattered at this point.

So I pulled out my phone to pass the time until Conan entered the room again after a few minutes.

"I'm back, hoes," he announced, walking straight over to the bed. "Surprised you haven't destroyed anything while I was gone."

Kian frowned. "You make it sound like we can't be trusted."

"That's because you can't be trusted, asswipe," Conan replied, pointing an accusing finger at his friend before glancing at me. "You let me down, kid. I'll remember that."

"I wanna quit, you know," I said, clearing my throat. "It's not good for me."

"It's not good for me," he mimicked, rolling his eyes. "You do things that aren't good for you every day, and you don't whine like a bitch about them."

"Like hanging out with you, for example," Kian muttered, not looking up from his cookie.

"Shut the fuck up or I'll kick you out, I swear. I've had enough of you."

"Very nice. So friendly," I said, standing up. "I'm gonna head back over now."

Conan raised a brow at me, his anger at his best friend having left as quickly as it had come. "You're not seriously pissed at me for calling you a whiny bitch now, are you."

I shook my head. "I don't care about that. But Anna said she was gonna cook lunch today, so I have to get back."

"You don't care about that," he repeated, leaning back to let his back meet the wall. "Whatever you say, kid. Have a nice day."

He pulled out his phone, not making another move, and I hesitated. He usually walked me out of the house when I left.

"You... too," I replied, glancing at Kian who just shrugged.

"He's mad when he doesn't get his way."

"Shut the fuck up, nobody wants to hear what you have to say," Conan said, obviously pissed as he tossed a pillow at his friend's head.

"Why are you always so aggressive?" I blurted out before I could stop myself. Conan raised a brow at me before shaking his head.

"Didn't you want to leave?"

Kian laughed, and I just rolled my eyes as I hurried out of his room. Conan was one moody guy.

My own mood had dropped drastically once I walked through Michael's front door – not that it had ever been super extraordinary since I woke up. Things were being too complicated lately, and I didn't like it. I was sick of this life.

Yet the smell of fresh lasagna made the corners of my lips wander upwards. At least something here was good.

After lunch I left the house again. I had now memorized the way to the supermarket since I had walked it quite often already. Anna had given me a short grocery list, not that we needed much - simply for the sake of buying stuff.

Asher wasn't behind the cash register. Instead a young woman smiled at me when I brought my seven things to her.

"Welcome," she greeted, already starting to check my things.

"Hi. Isn't Asher here?"

She shook her head, still smiling. Her lips had a deep red color, something that didn't quite match with the faint green tone of her hair. "It's his day off. I'm Misty."

Okay, sounded legit. "How many people even work here? I thought it was only Nadia and Asher," I asked, just for the sake of keeping the conversation going. My headphones were around my neck, but I was bored, so socializing seemed more attractive.

"Oh yeah, she owns the shop. But she can't be here 24/7, especially now with the little kids. And since I just had a baby myself, Asher helps her out as well," Misty replied. "You wanna see a photo of her? Super cute."

Before I could even react she had already pulled out her phone, quickly scrolling through it before holding it out to me. I glanced at the little wrinkled baby on it, forcing a smile.

"Very nice," I lied.

"My little angel," the young woman sighed, turning the phone to look at it herself. "I wish I could be with her all day. Her name's Dora, after my mom."

I smiled back at her. "That's a cute name." Damn, the lies seemed to take no end today.

"I know right? It was my fiancé's idea. We're gonna get married in August." She reached for her soft drink and leant back in her chair, completely forgetting about my groceries. I glanced at them nervously, already having had enough of this conversation.

Misty seemed like a nice person, but I didn't really come here to chat with her for hours on end. I was actually kind of disappointed that Asher wasn't here today, yet at the same time glad that he got a day off. He deserved it.

Just, what was I going to do for the rest of the day?

"I'm actually kind of in a hurry, so..." I said, burying my hands in my pockets. Misty quickly straightened her back and set her drink aside, returning to what she was doing earlier in a matter of seconds.

"Oh shit, right, sorry. I get carried away too easily. That'll be 14,48, thanks."

I smiled, mumbling a quiet "it's fine" as I handed her the money. She gave me back my change, I gathered all the groceries in my arms, and finally left the supermarket.

It was raining lightly when I stepped outside, not enough to spark any worries though, so I didn't hurry home. I didn't have anywhere to be, anyone to talk to, I was just existing at this point. Somehow, it felt wrong.

I froze, almost dropping my groceries when a feeling of dread crept up my spine. Shit. Ruby.

I had texted him the night I got here, even though I promised to call him, and I hadn't talked to him ever since. Shit, it had been weeks. He would hate me forever.

Now I hurried home, quickly dropping the few things I bought on the kitchen table before retreating to my room in the back. I paused my music, tossed away my earphones and then dialed Ruby's number, my heart beating uncomfortably fast in my chest.

He didn't pick up, so I called him again, and again. After the fifth time, he finally answered.

"You've reached the idiot's number, unfortunately he isn't home right now, so please leave a message never," he greeted, his voice cold.

"Ruby, I'm sorry. I'm so, so, so, so sorry," I breathed. "Shit, I'm- I messed up. Again. Fuck, please don't hate me now."

The boy on the other line sighed, a long and tired sound, and I could hear voices in the background. Then, a door falling shut. And suddenly silence.

"I don't hate you, dumbass. I'm just really mad at you."

I pressed my eyes shut. "Thank you. I'm really sorry."

"Dude, it's fine. I'll just kick your ass next time we see each other."

"Yes. Kick my ass, I don't care." I sat down on my bed, a feeling of relief overcoming me. "Just, I've been so occupied with myself again lately. I didn't-"

"I didn't answer your call so I can listen to your excuses," Ruby interrupted me. "Just tell me how life's going out in the sticks."

My lips formed into a small smile. "It's okay, I guess. I met a few new people, and Michael has a girlfriend now, and she cooks very well."

"Cool. Get those healthy meals, man." A brief pause, and when he started speaking again, he sounded the slightest bit hesitant. "What about that boy you mentioned once?"

I felt my shoulders tense up. I hadn't once talked about Asher back at home, just because it hurt too much, and I had tried to get my distance from this place. Of course Ruby was curious – he didn't really know much about my situation here. Fuck, and we still called each other our best friends.

"I mean, he's mad at me, too. But we're working on it." I briefly thought about my next words. "Yeah, I'm sure it'll be fine."

"Okay. Are you coming back when summer ends?"

I frowned. "Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know. I can never really tell what's going on when it comes to you. Hey, my brother's friends are here, I should probably get back out."

"Oh, yeah sure. I'll text you later tonight."

"Nah, I'll be out with them. Let's talk tomorrow."

"Okay. Yeah, tomorrow. I won't forget."

Ruby sighed. "I won't get my hopes up too high now. You better not forget me again."

"Of course not, man. Have a nice night out."

"You too... whatever it is you do at night." Then Ruby ended the call, and I stared at my phone for a second.

I felt guilty. I was the worst friend, there was no denying that anymore. How could Ruby still be this patient with me?

My fingers moved on their own, opening Asher's chat. I briefly went back and forth about texting him, wondering if it was too much, before throwing my worries overboard and clicking on the message box.

Just a brief and quick 'hi'. It was up to him to reply now. Maybe he wouldn't, and I was worrying about nothing at all. But maybe, just maybe, he would.

My heart skipped a beat when my phone suddenly vibrated in my hands, indicating a new text. He had actually replied.

One word, just a quick 'hey', but still enough to make me lose my calm.

'I heard it's your day off'

It only took a few seconds until he responded.

'You spying after me now?'

A smile formed on my lips as I typed my reply.

'I got to know your coworker, Misty'

'She's nice.'

My smile grew. 'You're nicer.'

'What are you doing later?'

Oh shit. Was I still sleeping and all this was just a dumb dream? No, the blood rushing in my ears and the excitement in my veins told me otherwise.

'I haven't made any plans yet', as if I had anything to do here.

It took him a bit longer to respond, but when my phone vibrated again, my eyes widened in disbelief.

'let's go for a hike.'

----------
AN:  Also wrote this in Asher's POV in my artificial kids book :))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14K 596 33
"Goodbye, Sam Thomas Foster," "Goodbye, Michael October Valley," ------ When Michael came out, life as he knew it ended. Everything fell apart and h...
2.3K 93 6
Dylan and his little sister, Layla, recently had to move to a new house due to their Dad's new job, which means a new school which means new friends...
4.8K 87 32
Okay I get that this is the finished one, you may read it yes. But please read the rewrite as well. You'll get a better story line out of it!
105K 3.2K 47
Asher King's life has revolved around putting up an involuntary mask to hide his true self. With successful parents boasting about his 'pretend' succ...