Kingdom Dawning

By kingdomdawning

Cyra Enaye spent her whole life not questioning and following the rules of her colony. But, now Vinick has co... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Nineteen

43 6 40
By kingdomdawning

I heard three pops of a gun. They were deafeningly loud and echoed through my chest then rattled my bones. If heard the shot then why did I not feel them? Was my body in too much shock to process what happened? I knew I wasn't in shock since when my body bounced off the ground the impact made all the air leave my lung in one sharp push. I felt a fire of pain flare up my back and course through my veins.

I once believed the screams in horror were for me. That the way my brothers and Quillan ran was out of fear for me. I assumed they were worried about me. But when they ran past me I soon wished it was for me. When I sat up and turned around to see the scene behind the feeling of my airless lungs and agony in my bones did not matter anymore. My body shook like a leaf in the wind when I viewed my mother with three bullet holes in my mother's chest. She had knocked me out of the way of the gun man that was now being chased by Quillian. She was spread out against the yellow sunflowers, blood turning the petals crimson red. I wanted to run but only managed short steps. As I drew closer, I could hear the deep sound of her struggling to breath, gaggling of blood filling her mouth. Efrain was clinging to my mother for dear life as Taj tried to pry him off.

"Mom!" he screamed with such pain in his voice that I was almost convinced he had been shot.

"Efrain y-....You need to...." Finally Taj fell to his knees and cradled our mother's head. He knew there was nothing we could do. The castle was too far for us to carry her and my powers; even if I knew how to control them, seemed useless. Her face was already turning pain and her fierce look in her eyes lessened. I kneeled beside her and gripped her hands that once braided my hair, now they were turning blue. She turned her eyes slowly over to me and I could tell she wanted to tell me something but had now voice to do so. I felt there was no emotion to describe how I felt. I was not mad nor would the simple word sad come close to the deep misery I was experiencing. Shattered was how I felt. The people I loved were disappearing and the things that once gave me joy had now only broke my heart. The things that made Cyra Cyra were slowly disappearing. I was shattering and coming something I did not recognize.

My mom slowly let go of my hand and reached up to one of the bullet holes in her chest and lightly let her finger graze the surface. I could see in her face how much that act hurt her by the shriveled face she expressed. She coated her finger in blood before she reached up and painted a small heart on my cheek. Her touch still had the same sense of calm to it, but her once warm scent had now turn metallic and cold. She moved onto my brothers and traced hearts onto their cheeks. This was her last I love you.

Taj leaned his head onto her shoulder as he tried to bribe her to stay alive.

"Please...p-please...I will do anything if you just fight," Efrain tried to cover the holes with his hand as if that would save her. She gripped my hand once again and looked at me, staring into my soul. Her glossing over gazed spoke a million words.

"Goodbye mother," I mouthed to her. I wanted to scream, to cry out like a wounded animal but I felt as though my voice and my tears were taken away from me. I felt as though the part of me that wanted to feel grief, sadness, and anger was locked in a glass box but even as it screeched at me, I felt nothing, I did nothing. I kissed the back of her hand that was still covered in hot blood.

Though my mother's eyes were open I knew she was gone. My brother clung to each other as they wept. I wanted to cry more than anything. I wanted to howl curses into the air but all I did was stare. I stared at nothing, even after my soldiers came and dragged me away . My body did not even have the strength to walk so someone I had never met before had to throw me over their soldier just to move me.

I didn't even realize I had gotten back into the castle into a horde of people rushed over to me. I was sitting in my room as maids came and tried to clean me off and removed my bloodied clothes from me. That triggered something in me. I began to scream. Even after the maids backed away and some left the room I continued to scream. I laid on the ground with my knees pulled tightly into my chest. Tree branches came through the window and shattered the glass. I didn't even attempt to shield myself from the sharp shards. I was a coward, I was weak. I was a queen who couldn't control her powers and let her mother die.

"She isn't dead," a voice in my head whispered. Just like when my father died.

"She will come back soon and lecture you on how you ruined your clothes," Loud thoughts ran through my mind. I began to cling to the idea that she was going to walk through the door. I knew it was a lie but I created my own reality in my mind.

Soon my screams became whimpers when I saw Leillan walk into my room. Her eyes looked around the room frantically and her breathing was short.

"Cyra!" Leillan shouted as she ran over to me. Without saying much else she dropped to the floor near me and held me in her arms. I moved my body so I was practically sitting in her lap, she didn't flinch away, even after she saw I was covered in blood.

"Leillan she is coming back" I mumbled into her chest my heart break apparent in my voice. She stroked my hair as she rocked us back and forth.

"Cyra, I-" I knew she was going to correct me so I stopped her.

"Just let m-me believe for a moment longer," I sobbed yet tears refused to come.

"Well then I think we should clean you off. Your mom still won't go of the dress we ruined when we had a mud fight three years ago," Her tone was light and soothing.

"Part of being strong is allowing others to be there when you are weak," she whispered

"Leillan,"

"Cyra,"

"Help me," I said as though all the strength had left my body. Without a second thought Leillan began to help me undress. My bloodied clothes had already began to harden and made a cracking sound as she lifted them off of me. Once all my clothes were off Leillan lifted me up and

I sat there replaying my final moments with my mother. The way the world seemed to pause, as if even the wind was too afraid to disturb us. 

"She is coming back"

"You are heartless for not being able to cry" 

"She will walk through the door soon"

"What Queen are you? Can't protect your husband or your mother"

My inner thoughts had me spinning into utter darkness unable to even think of the good moments I had with my mother. As if there was some unknown force pulling me into deep waters and my ability to do anything but mentally struggle was taken away.

"Leillan,"

"Cyra," Leillan replied as she handed me a towel. I looked down at my bath water, running my hand over the mucky red liquid. My rage bubbling up inside. My mother's blood will go down the drain as if it was never there. The man who caused the blood probably feeling smug as my brothers and I deal with being orphaned.

"Was it a Vinick soldier who shot my mother" I stood up and stepped out of the bath exposed to her. The cool autumn breeze from my broken window creating goose bumps to rise over my pale skin. Leillan seemed nervous to say anything. As if she was scared. That caused my anger to grow.

"Leillan was that a Vinick soldier or no?" I hissed grabbing a robe from my closet. Leillan sighed almost defeatedly.

"Yes it was..." she said barely loud enough for me to hear. I gripped my wall and closed my eyes. I was in disbelief. A soldier from Vinick would never do anything without orders. I stormed out of my room with Leillan hot on my trail. It was easy for her to follow me since I felt wet footprints everywhere I went. I ran to the only person I knew would help me. They saw what I was too stubborn to see from the beginning. She saw the darkness when I was too childish to accept it. I banged on Delaney's door so hard it echoed in the halls but at this point I didn't care who heard me. I was seeing nothing but red from anger and my body was shaking with suppressed emotions.

"Who the fuck-" she whipped open the door but before she could finish I pushed my way in.

"I'll do it," I stood in the middle of her darkly decorated room. My body dripping wet into Delaney's wooden floor. Delaney leaned against the wall and smirked as though she knew what I meant but was ready to toy with me.

"Do what your highness," Her voice sounded almost musical. I groaned as I bit the inside of my cheek.

"I will kill the king of Vinick. He sent someone to kill me, but did much worse. He hurt someone I loved so now I will make Arksel bleed like me made my mother do," My voice was strong and powerful. As if I would command anyone, I would use my power to avenge my mother. I will be stronger for her. "I was wrong about him. I can not save Arksel as I once believed. His heart is dark, he will be just like the king before him!" I saw Leillan step into view.

"Cyra please don't. Your mother would no-" Delaney stopped Leillan by putting a hand on her shoulder.

"This is what we wanted dear, this is what's for the best. For us and for the kingdom, I am glad you see clearly now," Delaney walked over to her desk across the room. I noticed the the darkly painted wood had cravings in it as if Delaney had stabbed it millions of times all over the surface. She opened the lowest drawer and slide out the dagger I once refused. If only past me would know what her fate had for her. Maybe she wouldn't be so fast to deny the blade. I walked over to Delaney and she placed the hilt of the dagger in my hands.

"Are you ready to be the strong queen you were meant to be. Get revenge for your mother and make your kingdom stronger?" Delaney whispered into my ear. Almost as if she was trying to put me under her spell.

I locked eyes with myself in the reflection of the jagged blade. Could I use this to kill Arksel? Would I be able to actually kill him when it came time? I lifted my cheek and caught a glimpse of the heart that still remained on my cheek. Leillan left it there, my mother's last message to me. The green stone just below it shined in the lowering sunlight.

"Yes I am ready. I will kill Arksel Blais, make his blood drip down my blade,"

{Hey guys, sorry for being gone for so long! I promise I will be getting back to my writing schedule and will be posting weekly once again. Which character(s)would you want to be friends with? Do you think Cyra will actually kill Arksel?}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 424 41
#2Wattpadteenfiction If you want to read a book, with a good fantasy plot, you've come to the right place. Get ready for romance, royalty and magic...
4.2K 87 9
Please don't kill me for this!! King Sombra x Flurryheart This takes part in between the battle of king Sombra and my own sort of universe, this is...
244 8 33
Fifteen years had gone by since King Ryker of Mordrid had defeated King Rohan of Elsinguard to have won the Serpentine War. Since then there have bee...
873 91 38
Years into the future, the world will enter a war worse than any it has ever seen before. New weapons will take out tens of millions of people at a t...