Glass Prison

By andiese

#1 IN MERFOLK (06.2022) #1 IN MERPEOPLE (07.2022) #1 IN MERS (07.2022) #1 IN FAY (08.2021) #1 IN FAIRIES (10... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Tea with Bodhi #1
Glossary

Chapter 23

16.2K 756 201
By andiese

Hiiiiiii! So I found that updating every monday is easier for me, so update will resume every Monday. So my office is all painted and almost done! Eeeek! I'm so excited! But now I got a bunch of stuff to get rid of, so I'll be having a garage sell soon. Yay!

Also, thanks for voting on my insta for whose chapter y'all wanted next (Tristen's chapter won the vote by landslide lol) and voting on who was your fave between Halvar and Malona (It was close but Malona won the vote).

As always, be sure to comment your love, vote and thanks for your support!

P.S. I'll be adding an asterisk next to the word you can find in the glossary if want clarification.

Enjoy~

____________________________________________________________________

Tristen

"Well, are you going to answer," Malone tilted her shaved head, "Prince Tristen?"

    I glared at the lieutenant of Eytheria. I raised my hands, "Red is–"

    A mer guard, Aleksi–who is from my home kingdom Atlantia–rushed in from the other side of the coral where he was keeping watch through the glass. "Prince!" He signed frantically. "They're bringing another mer in!"

    My question forgotten, I signed, "When?" My jaw clenched. More and more of my people were getting captured everyday. When will they stop...

    Aleksi signed, "They are bringing the mer in now–"

    A loud whirring boomed throughout the aquarium and we all immediately looked up. The glass dome that sat at the top of the aquarium began to open like flower petals blooming. The curved, convex glasses opened up and outwards, revealing a long sling, carried by pulley machine. I clenched my fists–my useless powerless fists.

    I quickly signed to the mers, ordering them, "Stay here." I nodded to Gale to follow me. We both swam to the opening. I wanted to get a closer look. Gale and I slowly popped our head of the water, enough to see and hear what was going on but without calling attention to us. The padded sling came down past the open glass dome to the opening of the aquarium. The machine operating the pulley made a loud clunking noise as it lowered the padded sling.

    A pair human workers–a man and a woman–opened the door to the opening of the aquarium and I jerked to hunker further in the water, but they didn't pay no mind to us. They were entirely focused on the new mer; they were bubbling with excitement. I caught the gist of their conversation.

"... Are you sure its mer?..."

"... I've never seen anything like it..."

    I wrinkled my forehead. Now just what did the humans manage to catch with the aid of the dark fays? I scrutinized the sling, trying to see the source of these humans' excitement. The sling was still slowly descending to the water of the aquarium. Someone wriggled in the tarp and long, dark hair hung long over the side of the sling.

    "It's awake!" The human woman gasped, "Do we need to sedate her again?"

    Shade, the dark fay, walked through the door and stood behind the pair of humans. "No, she's fine. She won't attack from the aquarium." Shade took out a walkie talkie and hit a button to speak, "Okay, you can release her."

    I ducked into the water and Gale followed in pursuit. We both swam out of the way for the newcomer as the sling dropped her. Curiosity and protectiveness burned within me. I wondered if I knew this mermaid...

    Whoosh.

    Bubbles and foam exploded; a figure trashed around disoriented and perhaps scared. The bubbles finally diminished, revealing the newcomer.

    "Zuri," I whispered in shock.

Her dark eyes rounded when she took me in. Her eight long tentacles floated around her nervously. She opened her mouth to speak. "Tris–?" I rushed forward to clamp my hand over her mouth and I shook my head.

    I released her to signed. "Don't talk." I pointed to the sonar. "The dark fays are listening and humans can't know we can speak.The humans already tortured one of us to speak which the dark fays allowed as entertainment."

She nodded stiffly with fear in her large eyes and it went to Gale. "Gale? They got you too?" She signed.

Gale grimaced. "I followed him." My gut twisted at that.

Zuri sighed, "I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that." Her long, jet black hair moved hypnotically around her. She wore a top that indicated her high class status, the top was made of shark skin that was colored in gold and it wrapped tightly around her torso to show off her feminine curves. Her tanned skin transitioned into a rich burgundy tentacles that sparkled dimly with every movement. She was the lady of the house from ethyeria sea. The daughter of the lord that overlooks the sea known as the indian ocean. She was almost like a princess of eytheria sea and was revered by her people.

    Zuri rushed to me to enfold me in a hug and I hugged back. She was also my childhood friend. She pulled back to sign, "I can't believe that they got you. I thought you would be okay since you swam away from your kingdom the day before the attack."

    "Is my family okay?" I asked.

    She nodded, "They are sad but fine. They fended for themselves from the dark fay attacks and their submarines. But they are looking for you." She poked me playfully. "Your hippocampus misses you alot."

    "Argos*?" I smiled at that. "He's still there?"

    "You told him to protect your mother, huh?" She smirked, "He never once left her side."

    "Good boy," I smiled proudly of my pet hippocampus. The hippocampus was created by god Pontus–my grandfather–for his children so that we are protected by the majestic steed known for their speed and strength. Argos had chosen me to be his companion* and we formed a kinship. When in contact, we can communicate by feeling each other's emotions. We can also share bits of our abilities with each other–because of me, he can manipulate the waves and because of him, I can easily shapeshift to human legs just as easily Argos can shift to a normal horse on land. Most mers are imprinted by a sea animal and they are bonded for life, if the mer dies then their companion dies as well–but we are able to live on if otherwise.

    Suddenly, Zuri was snatched from me and was in someone else's arms.

    Malona had her arms wrapped tightly around Zuri who was gaping with shock. When Zuri realized who it was, she begun to wept and hugged Malona back.

    Malona pulled back to sign to Zuri. "How did they capture you?"

    Zuri's lips trembled, "I was looking for you in Mir."

    Malona groaned. "You shouldn't have, Lady Zuri. I am lieutenant and I had to find out why my comrades weren't returning from Mir. You shouldn't have worried about me." She smiled sadly.

    "But dammit, you shouldn't have left!" Zuri raised her chin in defiance. "Look where you are!" Her eyes blued with tears, threatening to form pearls. "You were supposed to protect me, your lady of House of Ethyeria."

    Malona sighed, "You stupid girl..." She hugged Zuri once more and then signed. "I would always be your guardian. We are bounded."

It was true, Malona was bound to Zuri just as Gale was bound to me. Shi-amare and guardians* are very similar; guardians cannot be chosen and we can feel each other's pain. However, the pain is more of ghostly feeling with guardians since it would be useless if the guardian is injured as well as his ward. Guardians and wards are able to communicate telepathically when allowed. I cannot communicate telepathically with Gale at the moment due to the glamour incapacitating our abilities.

    I looked up to see Shade watching down at us. I glared back. I signed, "I hate to break up this reunion, but we need to go somewhere more private."

    Zuri nodded as she sniffled, "Okay."

    "Follow me,"

    Zuri curled her tentacles and pushed to follow me to my cave with our guardians in tow. Once we were safe, surrounded by rocks, I turned to face them, "Zuri, what happened out there?" My hands moved as I questioned her.

    She looked aside, guilt in her eyes. "I was investigating the missing mers but I was caught by humans on boats."

    Malona growled, "Why couldn't you just stay at home?"

    Zuri hissed, her tentacles curling. "My people were going missing! I couldn't just sit still."

    I sighed, "Malona, it's done. Let her finish."

    Malona's eel tail snapped with agitation as she grimaced.

    Zuri shyly wrapped one of her tentacles around Malona's end of her eel tail. Malona sighed in defeat, relaxing as her tail curled around Zuri's. My eyes darted away from their intimate moment. Zuri swallowed and begun her story. "After the battle, it left all the mers confused, wondering why they attacked when we haven't been attacked by fays in centuries." Zuri looked to me nervously, "The sea king and queen, uh... wouldn't say why." Her tentacles flitted around nervously.

    Gale hissed, "Just spill it."

    Malona hissed back, "Back off."

    I restrained myself from barking orders and calmly asked. "It's okay, Zuri, you can say it. I know my parents aren't exactly forthcoming in information. It's one of the prices of being a ruler."

    Zuri nodded meekly. "Ah, well, since they didn't say what the Dark Princess demanded when she showed up in her hydro vehicle to your castle. No one knows. So I did some digging."

    Malona sighed, "Of course you did." Gale smirked at that, very aware of Zuri's curious nature. She was a scientist, so curiosity was an embodiment of her. Her curiosity got her and I into so much trouble as kids. I would never forget the face of our parents when they found us trapped in a dead underwater volcano. When they asked why we were there, Zuri straight faced said she wanted to prove that the volcano wasn't dead. They didn't believe her. The day after the incident, the volcano erupted. Despite that she was right, I learned not to indulge into her curiosity. I smiled, Meredith would like Zuri. They were similar in many ways, kindness was one of them.

    Zuri continued, "I had to know if this information could endanger the mers. So I asked around and managed to steal some documents from the royal office–"

    I stopped, "You did what?"

    Gale asked, "You broke into the office?"

    Stealing from my parents' office was impossible. High intel was stored away in there, get into the wrong hands could bring my kingdom down. It was highly protected that not even a krill could get through. In fact, you would have more chance of getting a french kiss from a damn fay than break into that office.

    Zuir squeaked, "I, uh, borrowed some documents?" She offered questioningly.

    Malona pinched her nose bridge, "Who would have thought that being your guardian would be harder than leading soldiers to battle?" Gale chuckled at that.

    "How?" I blinked, "I have been trying for years to sneak into my parents office."

    "Oh, it was easy! I just had to study the mechanics of the water filter, the interior of the castle and the schedule of the guards to send in my octopus, Beth, that I trained for months, in the vent."

    "You managed to train an octopus to break into the office?" Gale asked in disbelief.

    "Well sort of, I built a visor which I installed cameras for me to see and managed to input a heating system–" Zuri sprout some technical terms I didn't understand and continued, "which warms when Beth is getting closer to the office's water vents opening."

    Malona groaned when her story kept escalating.

    I shook my head in awe, "How did it get past Silas* unnoticed? That man's hearing is legendary. He guards that office around the clock."

    "Oh well that part was easy, I noticed that he goes to have lunch at this bar nearby because of the pretty bartender there. Which, I think Silas could do better cause, kelpie, that merwoman is just playing him and–."

    Malona sighed, "Zuri,"

    Zuri jumped, "Oh, right. So anyway, when I asked to see what he ordered, they wouldn't let me see. They said only workers were allowed in the back and I needed access to his food–"

    I raised my hand to stop her and signed in confusion, "Why did you need access?"

    Zuri blinked, "To lace it with laxative obviously. I needed him away from the office."

    Gale howled with laughter as I gaped. I tried to imagine the mountain of a merman with a menacing scowl swimming to the bathroom panic stricken. I had to laugh at that. Malona, evidently enjoying this story, grinned. "So how did you get access? Since only workers were allowed."

    Zuri raised her brows, "Well, I had to work there. Obviously." She rolled her eyes, "I worked as a cook for awhile and then I finally got him!" Her tentacles jerked in excitement. "So while he was losing his–excuse my language–fecal matter in the bathroom. I had Beth go through the water vents and snatch some documents while I was watching from my hydro car. It was a simple plan." She shrugged like it was as easy as swimming.

     I felt my mouth gaping. Holy shit. I take back about feeling bad for Nixie's future shi–amare. Zuri takes the scary award and made it her bitch.

    "Remind me to never offend you." I signed stiffly.

    Zuri tilted her head, "Whatever do you mean?"

    Gale chuckled as Malona stared upward, as if asking the old gods for reprieve.

    I signed. "I–never mind. So what did you find out?"

    "Ah, well, with rumors from mers and servants of your castle, that your parents had made a deal about two decades with the fays; the light king and queen."

    "There's such rumors?" I asked.

    Zuri nodded, sending her dark hair spiraling. "Yes, but I had to confirm it. I needed evidence. Once I had Beth bring me the documents from the time the supposed deal occured, I came across something. There was a meeting being logged indicating that the castle was raised from the sea in preparation for the fays' arrival."

    My father had the ability to raise the castle from the sea into the air and my parents would shift from mer to human form to have meetings with fays. I asked, "Are you certain?"

    Zuri answered. "I'm certain that the time correlate with the rumors and it was indeed with light fays. The meeting's notes was very vague, not very helpful, but something stood out. The light fays had requested protection from the sea court. And that baffled me. I mean, the all powerful, mighty light fays that can send the world afire, needed protection from mers?"

    I rubbed my chin in incertitude. "That doesn't make sense at all. And protection from what?"

    "I think you mean from who." Gale said. "The dark court."

    Malona asked, "Protection from the dark court? Why? They have always fended for themselves well."

    I felt the gears in my head whirring as I gathered information, trying to gleaned sense. "What happened two decades ago?"

Gale quipped, "Your brother was born, Prince Neifion."

I nodded, "True, what else?"

Malona added, "The hundred year war of ice ends,  Atlantia and Thule finally comes to peace."

Zuri breathed, "The dark princess was a year old." Zuri eyes goes big. "That's it!"

Gale asked, "Uh, am I missing something?"

I nodded in understanding, "You're right."

Malona sighed, "Fill me in?"

I answered, "The universe must have balance to avoid chaos. The dark and light cannot overpower each other or the sun would burn us or the darkness would overtake us. Every child of the fay royal court is powerful. The opposing court tries to match the number of kids with their others. Like the Summer court has a twin, the winter court does as well. It balances each other without even meaning too."

Zuri rushed, "And the king and queen of light court did not reproduced any kids."

Gale moved forward, "Are seriously describing the infamous Lost Prince*?"

Malona groaned in exasperation. "The Lost Prince is just a fool's hope; a revered delusion that one day that fays, mers and humans would finally live together in harmony." She rolled her eyes. "It's a stupid, unrealistic dream."

I ran a hand through my locks, I was the biggest skeptic here and couldn't deny that half of me agreed with Malona. The Lost Prince was just a lore that parents enterainted their kids with over the dinner table. The child of the light king and queen would one day make dark court kneel and bring peace to the world. No light prince existed and the light king and queen remained heirless. But if he was real, then everything made sense. Why the dark princess was so hellbent on forming an alliance with the mers and why the dark court was desperate enough to attack my kingdom. Most of all, why my parents would meet the light royals who asked for aid nearly twenty years ago and that was the time the light prince rumor was born.

    "Zuri," I called, "Did this contract have my parent's signatures?"

    "Yes, it did. The contract is effective." She answered.

    "Then we know why my parents refused the dark princess who was probably asking for the whereabouts of the lost prince, because they're under oath."

    Malona paled and Gale's eyes rounded.

Zuri added, "If the prince is real, he should be about seventeen years old." I nodded in agreement.

Gale asked, "Zuri, where is the contract right now?"

   I stilled, "Zuri?"

    Zuri rolled her eyes, "It's back in the office, safe. I can't say the same for Sila's stomach though." Gale and I laughed while Malona glared at Zuri.

    I groaned when one vital information revealed. "Nefion..." My brother, a prince and a sentry–a guard–went to land. He had told me he needed to protect clovers and that he was looking for someone. I had dismissed him thinking he was fooling around with some human women. "My brother is searching for the lost prince. It all makes sense... His obsession with fays' and clover's history and the hours he spent in the library." I ran a hand down my face, "I am so dense for not seeing it sooner. I didn't believe that the lost prince existed, but now... we can't avoid the possibility that the lost prince is real."

    Malona grunted, "I'm gonna play the devil's advocate, but say the lost prince is real. Where the hell is he? Is he even alive?"

    Gale nodded, "He wouldn't be able to hide in the mortal realm. His wings and his powers are far too great for him to hide. He could be dead, possibly killed by the watchers even."

    Zuri shuddered at the mentioned of sidhe killers.   

I shook my head, "If he exists, then he is alive. The dark princess would have felt the balance tilt to her a long time ago if lost prince died and she would have done what she wanted to a long time ago–regain the world from humans to fay once more." I sighed, "Let's pray to the old gods that the lost prince will stay lost.

________________________________________________________________________________

The model is Rasika Navare. I found her photo on pinterest and I added the filter and typography.

If you wanna see more design and chapter sneak peek, you can follow Glass Prision's insta at andie_s.e or tumblr at yourandielexxis!

Don't forget to vote, show your love!

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 648 19
"..." "..." Two pair of eyes stared at each other for a long time, as if this was a staring contest. The man relented and eyed the bucket of fish in...
2.6K 156 41
2020's WATTPAD'S NOBEL PRIZE WINNER - FANTASY CATEGORY 2020's ARCANA BOOK AWARDS SECOND PLACE - FANTASY CATEGORY 2020's HALCYON AWARDS SECOND PLACE...
4K 407 40
••• Oh yeah, I think I forgot to mention, some of us humans are "gifted" as we like to say, in short, we have powers, well most of us do, anyway, pow...
727 62 19
Follow three friends journey as they travel across the sea on the adventure of a lifetime, while two of them fall in love. ...