Silence | Book 1

By AllynCrowe

Tristan thrives whenever he can speak, whether it be on stage or in high-stake debates. Having worked his way... More

Preface
1-p1: Cufflinks
1-p2: Ties
1-1: Tristan Wright
1-2: Hibiki Yukimura
1-3: Conversation
1-4: The Pub
1-5: Truth or Drink
1-6: Wait
1-7: Ride
1-8: Sleep Well [M-T]
1-9: Sweet Dreams
1-10: Style
1-11: Ladybird
If you like this novel
2-1: A Study in Black
2-2: Morning
2-3: Texts
2-4: Work Work
2-5: Debate Union
2-6: Questions
2-7: Berlin 1
2-8: Berlin II
2-9: Coffee
2-10: Out [M-T]
2-11: Promise
2-12: Play [M-T]
3-1: Enclosure
3-2: Escape
3-3: Road Trip
3-4: Music
3-5: Sightseeing
3-6: Gifts
3-7: Museums
3-8: Stolen
3-9: Lost
3-10: Found
3-11: Ice Cream
3-12: Friends
3-13: Sushi
3-14: Confession
4-1: Arrest
4-2: Foster
4-3: Anger
4-4: Friendship
4-5: Testimony
4-6: Awakening
4-7: Apology
4-8: Party
4-9: Homeward
4-10: Sleep
4-11: Forgiven
4-12: Friday
4-13: Together
4-E: Morning
Thank you for reading!
Book 2
Silence Ebooks and Paperbacks!
Silence is out an as an eBook!
The paperback has arrived!

2-13: Invitation

486 55 11
By AllynCrowe

The weather had cleared up some since they had left the cafe, but it was still cold and windy. A strong breeze tossed their hair every which way, and pushed water-heavy, dark grey clouds along the sky. From time to time the sunlight flared up, causing the wet streets and windows to sparkle, only for it to be blinked out again by the next cloud a mere moment later.

The weather didn't seem to bother Hibiki that much, darting ahead on the narrow pavements and back alleys to take in whatever sight he could, occasionally taking a sip from a take-out hot chocolate. Meanwhile Tristan wandered behind him, but not so far away that he would have to face the bodyguards that trailed along. Occasionally he pointed Hibiki in the right direction, so they would eventually arrive at the bookstore – albeit with a slight detour.

It was a rather narrow but deep building, with the store taking up two whole floors. A few of the newest works had been stalled out in the window; most of it was popular science, some self help books and a few thrillers that appeared to be geared to middle aged women.

Hibiki pointed at the door while taking a sip from his cup, wordlessly asking if he should go in. In response, Tristan smiled and nodded, having grown so accustomed to Hibiki's silence already that it felt strange to break it by speaking – as if somehow his voice was interrupting Hibiki's quiet. With a slight grin and a push against the door, Hibiki went ahead and entered the shop.

A woman with short, grey hair greeted them. Although Tristan was familiar with her, he had never really spoken to her much beyond the usual customer interactions and a few recommendations he had gotten. Today was no different.

"You've brought someone new?" She asked with a brisk smile, and he nodded. "Oh, careful with that cup, I don't want anything spilled on the books." She immediately added seeing Hibiki's hot chocolate, but he gave it a shake it to show that he'd just finished it. "I can throw it away for you dear," the woman held her hand out to take the cup, and so Hibiki gave it to her. "We've had some second hand books come in, they're upstairs." She continued to tell Tristan, who smiled and nodded gratefully.

He gave Hibiki a slight push in his back, pointing at a narrow stair in the very back that led to the upper floor. With a smile, Hibiki walked along with him, while the shopkeeper glanced quite confused and not entirely trusting at the bodyguards that trailed after them – especially since Tristan had only ever come into the store alone.

"Just come down when you've found something, I'll ring you up dear." She said after them, while they were in the middle of ascending the stairs. Hibiki took the lead in answering, even if it wasn't meant for him, giving her a thumbs up while Tristan just smiled politely. At least before Hibiki grabbed his wrist and pulled him up the stairs, too impatient to stand around exchanging smiles.

The upstairs was covered in books as well; mainly older works and more obscure genres. It was a dimly lit room, with the only light coming from two windows in the very front of the store, and two dusty, old light bulbs that gave off a soft, golden glow.

"Come on, I'll show you the second hand ones I told you about." Tristan said rather excited, taking the lead instead once they were upstairs. He took Hibiki with to the very back of the floor, where there were a few bookcases stocked to the brim with books that had their backs crumpled and yellowed pages. They were all marked with a sticker indicating the price – the more recent the book and pristine its condition, the higher the price. At the very bottom of the bookcases however stood a few cardboard boxes that would fit around ten books at most.

"Those are the boxes I told you about." Tristan said with a grin, before he trailed the books on the shelves for something interesting. "I've found some really amazing things in here, you wouldn't believe the books people throw away. First editions, books with world war pamphlets in them, or old tickets for shows and movies. I've even gotten a few books from the nineteenth century, and people just put that with the trash like it's nothing."

While Tristan went on his passionate rant about old books, Hibiki walked up to the bookcase beside him and occasionally checked out a book – not because he was particularly interested in it, but more so because he didn't want to miss a second of Tristan's improvised speech.

"I suppose people just go through their grandparents' libraries after they've passed, and think it's all old stuff that's not relevant anymore? Or that they're just boring books. But there's so much to be gathered, even if it's different, or not our world anymore – it's what made our world. Movies and pictures may show things, but they're not the direct thoughts like words are. I think people forget that, you can't look at a picture and know what that person thought, but when you read a sentence, for a moment your thoughts and the thoughts of the person who wrote it are the same. And then you learn, that it's not all that different to be human, fifty, or a hundred, or a thousand years ago. It's a bit of perspective crystallised in time... and it just gets thrown out with the rubbish because it's the perspective of yesterday, as if yesterday didn't lead up to today. Right? ... Or am I really a nerd?"

Hibiki smiled and nodded, causing Tristan to sigh a little.

"At least you're honest." He mumbled, as he pulled a relatively newer book from the shelf and checked the back. Instead he felt a soft tap on his shoulder.

'I like it. Not everyone needs to be cool.'

Immediately he felt his cheeks start to burn, and he could only hope that the dim light would make it hard to see. In a desperate attempt not to get caught he looked away and pretended to pick up another book. Yet when he glanced over, Hibiki gave him a confident smile.

He was locked in place, his mind too busy with figuring out the meaning of that smile to even consider looking away. It wasn't hardly the first time he had seen Hibiki, but in the low, warm light the sight was like magic. It enthralled his heart, even if his mind cried out that it was wrong. I shouldn't... not now, not ever. He's a guy, I'm not supposed to feel like this at all, what am I thinking?

From the corner of his eye he caught a motion, as Hibiki lifted his hand toward his face. In surprise he couldn't resist or move away, locked in place wondering where it would go. Two fingers gave a soft poke against his cheekbone, and immediately left him again. He saw Hibiki's soft and kind smile turn into a curious gaze, and for a moment he felt confused – disappointed even that it had only been that: too little to ease his heart's cravings, too much for his mind to handle. And then a question on Hibiki's phone rid him of his bewilderment, at least.

'Where did you get that scar?'

Tristan remained quiet for a little too long, his mind still struggling with the touch.

"Er..." he let out, left speechless by the question. "I er,- it was a plate." He stammered, too flustered to think of any conceivable lie, so he simply stuck with the truth.

Hibiki's expression turned both intrigued, and incredulous.

"Mum was angry and threw a plate. It hit the wall beside me and a piece clipped my cheek?" He admitted, unsure if that was the right thing to tell, but if he was going to be honest with anyone, Hibiki seemed to be his best choice; he had promised after all.

'Your mother threw a plate at you?'

He nodded, and pulled a random book from the shelf just so he wouldn't have to face Hibiki.

"To be honest, I hadn't done my chores. So I get why she'd be mad."

Rather wide eyed at that answer, Hibiki shook his head. Tristan could only try to chuckle it away, unwilling to admit to anyone that it was that bad – especially to himself.

"It was just an accident, I don't think she meant for it to hit me." He tried to excuse her, but instead of an answer, he felt Hibiki's arms wrap around him.

The hug surprised him, and if the touch had been too close, this certainly was. Yet it didn't feel bad, at all. He was still just as warm and soft as he remembered from the very first evening they'd met, and without the alcohol it was only nice. Overwhelmingly nice.

This time he answered the embrace, placing his hands on Hibiki's back. Maybe that was admitting that he liked it, but it was only the truth. Even knowing that there were two bodyguards watching didn't weigh up against the comfort.

It was over as quickly as it had happened, and he was left only with a rapidly fading warmth; confronted with embarrassment instead. Ironically, Hibiki's smile was his only saving grace, telling him wordlessly that this was fine, and not something to be ashamed about at all – he certainly didn't appear to be fazed by it.

'You don't deserve to have things thrown at you, okay?'

The smile turned into a slightly more serious expression, urging him to agree; to accept that even if it was difficult.

Tristan took a deep breath, letting all his thoughts sink away so he could focus on whatever remained. He didn't know how to feel; whether to be glad someone finally told him what he had always suspected, or sad because for so long he needed to lie to himself that he had deserved it, since it hurt to admit he had suffered for no reason at all.

"I..." he sighed again and shook his head as if that would somehow loosen the words. "I know..." he said softly.

Hibiki's smile immediately warmed up again, back to the usual enthusiasm as he pointed out one of the boxes with books and swiped a message with the other hand.

'Do you want one?'

"It's fine, I still have plenty of unread books at home I need to get through."

'You sure?'

Tristan gave a polite yet decisive nod, and he was met with another smile.

"Do you want to buy anything for yourself? We've only looked at my books?"

Hibiki threw a glance through the dusty room, but then shook his head as if he was already certain there would be nothing here that he wanted to get. Instead his smile widened, curling up close to a mischievous grin but not quite.

'I just wanted to ask something.'

A little cautious Tristan looked him over, his heart clinging to his chest in anticipation; as if it wanted to peek through his ribcage and see what was going on for itself.

"Er... sure, yeah?" He muttered, realising that Hibiki was waiting for his response.

'My birthday is in a few weeks, and I wanted to go to London?'

His heart was not disappointed, even if he hadn't expected that question.

"Oh yeah, that'd be great!"

'I was thinking about asking everyone to meet up there?'

"I'm sure they'd love to." Tristan replied with a grin. "Do you want to play tourist and go sightseeing, or?"

Excitedly Hibiki smiled, making a grand gesture with both hands to signify that he wanted to see everything.

"Have you ever been there before?"

Hibiki gave a quick waver of his hand, and his expression turned hesitant, not quick to say that he had. When Tristan gave him a slightly confused headshake, he wrote some clarification.

'I've been with my parents? But that was the expensive part of London, I want to go out and do the normal things.'

"Ah I see, so you want to play tourist then." Tristan said with a smirk, causing Hibiki to grin and nod enthusiastically. "I think we could arrange for that."

For a second he wondered how he would go about that, but then gave a decisive nod.

'It'll be awesome!'

Seeing Hibiki so excited, Tristan smiled as well, glad to be involved in making him happy – even if it was something as simple as going to London for a day. It felt right, now he finally got to do something back and make Hibiki happy for a change.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115 4 18
A miracle happened, Tristan cares At least about one person. Bart is in his life, and he wants to keep him there, but how does the monster who's only...
2.6M 108K 45
Adelaide Beck dared Tristan Presley to become her best friend in the fifth grade... and he said okay. After a summer of doing nearly everything toge...
254K 10.4K 20
[COMPLETED] Aiden searched high and low for Fox, his best friend from the institution four years ago. After the incident that nearly took their life...
418K 13.6K 29
~~~FINISHED~~~ Tristan Tucker was your typical cliché high school football jock. Loved by all, Tristan was at the top of the high school food chain...