The Lost Prince

By Triquetra123

At the age of fourteen, Prince Merlin Ambrosius had fled his kingdom Nelthon due to an attack by Merlin's unc... More

Prologue
1. The Knights of Nelthon
2. Training
3. Conversations
4. The Journey
5. Revelation
6. Knight vs Prince
7. Prince Christian
Author's note
8. The Hideout
9. Suspicions
10. Dragons
12. The ally
13. Meetings and visions
14. Important news
Authors note
15. Into the Castle
16. Escape
Author's Note
I'm so sorry
17. The Heir of Nelthon
18. Reveal
19. The Reveal Aftermath
20. The Truth
21. Preparation

11. Confrontations

10K 379 194
By Triquetra123

The next morning, Merlin awakes sweating and breathing heavy. Another vision. This one was of Gelmand executing a couple of knights who stood up against him, some of Merlin's father's best knights, by means of fire. Merlin reluctantly got out of his soft, four poster bed, and got dressed in his servant attire. He would wear his royal attire, but he can't because of Arthur. He waited a minute before leaving his chambers. It's still early so only the servants are up and about.

Merlin was about to go to go see his dragon, when he was stopped. "You can't go up there, boy." Merlin knew that voice. Sir Robert. Merlin smiled despite himself. "That area is forbidden." Merlin turned to face him. Something, akin to recognition flashed in Robert's eyes.

"Oh, my mistake. I just wanted to see my dragon, Anithisan." Merlin said, shrugging. "Oh, well."

"Anithisan, belongs to Prince Mer-" Robert cut off, and stared at Merlin in disbelief. Merlin merely raised an eyebrow. "P-Prince Merlin?" Robert stuttered in disbelief. Merlin regarded him in amusement. He had never seen Robert stutter before. It was quite amusing.

"Sir Robert." Merlin said, formally, quite unlike the way Merlin usually greets his knights. But Robert is-was-his father's best knight, and Merlin had always treated him with respect. Robert was his father's best friend and was exceptionally proud to serve the royal family of Ambrosius. He trained with Balinor when his father was, but a prince. The best knight (not including Merlin) in Nelthon. "It is I."

"Prince Merlin." Robert said, clearly happy and bowed low to him. Merlin checked to see if any of the Camelotian''s were awake yet. They weren't. Merlin knew better than to reprimand Sir Robert. Robert would insist on using formalities. "You have returned." Robert had a joyous smile on his stern features. It looked quite disconcerting for Robert was never known for smiling. Especially with the scar he now had. Merlin, himself had scars, but they were all hidden.

"Indeed, I have." Merlin said, his smiling fading. "I have some news. My father, he-" Merlin cut himself off, as his voice cracked slightly. "He is... Dead." Robert's expression changed to remorseful and full of grief. "I'm sorry. I know he was your friend."

"There is nothing to apologise for." Robert said, gazing at the secret prince sadly. "He was a dear friend and a good king."

"He was." After a minute, Merlin remembered something important. "I came here with King Arthur, his betrothed and his knights. Neither of them-excluding Sir Gwaine and Sir Lancelot-know I am a prince. Let alone, a warlock. I would appreciate it immensely if you don't mention my true heritage to them."

"Of course, sire. I will not mention it. However," Robert gazed at his prince sternly. "They will find out eventually."

Merlin bowed his head. "I know. Just not yet."

"I understand, Prince Merlin." Robert said. "I will see you later, my lord." Robert bowed one more, before heading to the right-handed stairs for some early morning training. Merlin went up the stairs and entered in a vast opening. The dragons were asleep when he entered. Anithisan, awoke as soon as she sensed Prince Merlin's presence.

"Merlin." She said, bowing low to him. Merlin smiled at her. "You look troubled."

Merlin bit his lip. "I'm fine." Merlin lied. Anithisan glared at him.

"You are not fine, Prince Merlin." She said hotly, using Merlin's title.

Merlin bowed his head in submission. It was pointless to lie to a dragon. "Alright, I'm not. I..." Merlin cleared his throat. "I'm having, nightmares. Visions. And I haven't had a proper night's sleep in days." Merlin admitted.

Anithisan gazed at him for a moment, before she spoke. "You're becoming a seer."

Merlin flinched. The fact of him being seer, scared him. "That's... That's what Gaius, thinks, yes." Merlin said.

Anithisan was quiet for a few minutes. "I'm sorry, my prince. I cannot help you." She said, sadly.

"I know." Merlin said, quietly.

"I wish there was something I could do." Anithisan said.

"There isn't anything you can do." Merlin said, making eye contact with his dragon, giving a weak smile. "It's not your fault."

"No. It is not yours, either." She said sternly. "Your powers are still developing. Getting stronger, day by day-"

"Yes, I'm aware of that, thank you." Merlin snapped. Then, realising he snapped at his dragon, apologised. "I'm sorry, Anithisan. I'm just tired. I didn't mean to snap at you. I didn't mea-"

"Merlin." Anithisan cut him off, sharply. Merlin stopped his rambling, and looked at Anithisan. "I know you are tired, stressed and angry at what your uncle did,"--Merlin's eyes darkened at the mention of his uncle--"but you must calm down. If not, your magic will be out of control."

"You're right." Merlin said, nodding. "I will try to."

"There is no trying Merlin. Only doing." Anithisan said, wisely. Merlin rolled his eyes.

"Now you're sounding like Kilgharrah." Merlin said with mock annoyance.

"That is because, young prince, he is right." Anithisan said. After a moment, Anithisan peered at him. "Perhaps a ride, will lift your spirits." Merlin beamed at her.

"I would like that." Merlin loves riding dragons. He rode Kilgharrah a couple of times, but he always said 'I am not a horse, Merlin.' Now, though, Merlin can ride his own dragon. Anithisan lowered herself, and Merlin mounted her. When Merlin was secure enough on her back, Anithisan flew off, out of the hole in the ceiling, into the sky.

***

Arthur left his temporary chambers, to go and do some training. He saw Leon and Elyan talking in a corner, Gwaine and Lancelot laughing with Ellis, Lewis, James and Prince Christian and Mordred and Percival talking with Sir Robert. But no Merlin. Where is that idiot? He caught Guinevere's eyes and she smiled. Gwen was helping the servants around the hideout bringing everyone breakfast and stuff. Where is Merlin? Arthur decided to do some training so he went into the right hand staircase. Once he was there, he saw a few knights throwing knives, some with maces, and some with swords. Arthur caught sight of the sorcerers training, and tensed at the magic being used. Arthur decided not to train after all, as he knows no one in here and is uncomfortable training with sorcerers about. Arthur went back down the stairs and a saw there was no sign of Merlin. Where is he? Arthur was getting annoyed now. Also a little worried. Not that he would admit that. Merlin could be hurt, and they were in a foreign place with sorcerers and all sorts. Merlin could have gotten lost.

Arthur went up to Leon and Elyan, who were talking amongst themselves, to ask them if they had seen Merlin anywhere. "Have you seen Merlin anywhere?" Arthur asked them.

"No, sire. We haven't." Leon answered. "Not since yesterday."

"If you see him, let me know immediately." Arthur said, walking off to ask someone else. Maybe the lazy sod is just sleeping in. Arthur rolled his eyes. Idiot. He's probably fine, and getting Arthur's breakfast. Yes, that's it. No need to worry at all.

An hour later, there was still no sign of Merlin. Just when Arthur was getting worried, Merlin came out of the left hand staircase, beaming like an idiot. Arthur can't remember the last time he had seen Merlin so happy. There was a lightness in the way he walked, like a heavy burden had just been lifted off his shoulders. Arthur couldn't fathom why. He strode up to Prince Christian, Gwaine, Lancelot, James, Lewis and Ellis. Arthur noticed that Merlin and the Knights of Nelthon have become close. Something that struck Arthur as odd. Why would knights--knights they barely know, at that--become close with Merlin? Merlin is a servant. He's not of nobility. He has a lower status than them. Yet they welcome him as an equal. Even Christian, and he's a prince, let alone, a knight. Nelthon is a lot different to Camelot. Then something struck Arthur. Merlin came out of the left hand staircase. Not the right. 'Do not go up the left.' Is what Christian said, yesterday. If the left hand staircase is forbidden, then why did Merlin go up there? But Arthur, is going to find out.

***

"You look happy." James commented, seeing Merlin's grin.

"That I am, James, that I am." Merlin said, still grinning from ear to ear.

"You rode Anithisan." Christian said giving a small of his own. It wasn't a question, it was a statement.

Gwaine and Lancelot looked confused. "Who is Anithisan?" Gwaine asked, looking between the two princes in confusion.

"Anithisan, is Merlin's dragon." Christian answered. Gwaine and Lancelot stared at Merlin in awe.

"You have a dragon? And rode it?" Gwaine asked the heir to Nelthon's throne.

Merlin beamed at him. "Yup." Merlin said, popping the 'p'.

Gwaine and Lancelot  looked at him in awe. "You rode a dragon without me? Shame on you, sire. Shame on you." Gwaine said with mock envy. Merlin froze at the title.

"Gwaine." Merlin said, sharply unconsciously sounding like the prince he is. "Titles."

Merlin's tone brought Gwaine up short. "Right, sorry Merlin. Accident. It just, slipped out."

Merlin regarding Gwaine for a second, before speaking. "You never use Arthur's title." Merlin said, suspiciously.

"Yeah, well, you, unlike princess,"--Christian snickered at the nickname--"you aren't an arrogant prat." Everyone laughed. "Or pull rank." Gwaine added, seriously.

"He's right Merlin." Lancelot said. "Arthur always pulls rank on you."

"Y-yeah, but-"

"But nothing. If I wasn't a knight of Camelot, I would become a knight if Nelthon." Gwaine said. "The only reason I became a knight in the first place is because of you. I pledged my allegence to you long before I did Arthur." Gwaine said. Merlin had no words for that. It was true, after all. "I haven't heard of Nelthon before your knights came to Camelot."

"I wouldn't be surprised." Christian said. "Uther tried to rage war on us at the start of the Great Purge. Father tried to negotiate with him but it was futile. Then, Uther tricked our father, to summon Kilgharrah saying he wanted peace. Father wanted to believe him. But Uther betrayed him." Christian and Merlin growled. "He killed the other Dragonlords and most of the dragons all except Kilgharrah who he imprisoned under Camelot for an example. Then he tried to order our father's execution. Gaius helped him escape where he went to seek refuge with our mother, Hunith. Father took mother to Nelthon where she had Merlin two years later. Then me the year after. Uther destroyed all evidence of Nelthon ever existing." Merlin nodded in agreement. They were told this when they were younger. "Nelthon and Camelot used to be allies. Before..." Christian trailed off. Merlin knows exactly what happened. Ygraine's death.

"The Purge." Merlin finished. He wasn't going to go into detail over something that isn't anyone else's business.

"Yeah." Christian breathed. "We had a happy life for fourteen years until, the betrayal." Christian spat, with venom. Merlin clenched his fist in anger, and, unable to suppress his magic, his eyes flashed gold causing a glass to explode with a loud shatter. Everyone in the hideout froze, hearing the smash. Merlin closed his eyes to calm down. He hadn't lost control like that in years. The Camelotian's were frozen and tense while the people of Nelthon were worried and the servants went to clean up the smashed glass. "Are you okay, Merlin."

"I'm fine." Merlin lied. "I'm going to train." Merlin turned around and went into the training ground without another word. Merlin couldn't help but notice the way Arthur was eyeing him suspiciously.

***

Clang. Clang. Clang. Merlin hit his sword against the training dummy hard, letting out his anger through each hit. Merlin was lucky no one was in here at the moment. Everyone went out when they heard the smash of glass. Clang. Clang. Clang. On the last hit, the dummy was knocked over. Merlin took a deep breath. He was definitely a lot calmer than before. "It seems you can use a sword, sire." Merlin spun around, sword in hand, pointing at the person behind him, only to see Gwen standing by the entrance. Merlin almost dropped his sword. Gwen. She knows.

"G-Gwen." Merlin stuttered, through his shock and perhaps a little fear. "How--how did yo--"

"Know?" Gwen finished. "I heard you talking with Gwaine, Lancelot, Prince Christian--who happens to be your brother--and your old servant, Daine, was it, sire?"

Merlin's eyes widened, then he bowed his head. "Oh." He said, softly. He sheathed his sword, which cloaked instantly. Gwen's eyes widened slightly, but wasn't too surprised. After all, one of Nelthon's--Merlin's knights, she corrected herself--said that the princes have magic.

"Yeah. Oh." They were left in an uncomfortable silence. Merlin shifted from foot to foot. After a few awkward moments, Gwen broke it. "You're a prince then."

"I... Yeah. Yeah I am." Merlin said.

Gwen looked at Merlin. "If you're a prince, why did you come to Camelot and be a servant?" Gwen asked. "My Lord." Gwen added on the end. It sounded foreign to her. Merlin being a prince. It was strange. But there was no doubting it, the way Merlin spoke at times and seeing him wielding his sword just now, proves it. From the looks of things, he is better than Arthur. Gwen never thought it was possible, until now. And it was Merlin of all people. She gained a mischievous glint in her eyes as she thought of Arthur's reaction when he finds out.

"Please. No titles. I don't like them." Gwen was shocked at this, though she doesn't know why it is Merlin after all, but a prince who doesn't like titles? Practically unheard of. "I came to Camelot because I needed to control my... Gifts."

"You mean your magic?" Gwen asked.

"Y-yeah." Merlin stuttered. He wasn't sure if Gwen knew that too or not. But now he is sure. "I just so happened to meet Arthur and became his servant. I could hardly believe it myself at the time." Merlin let out a nervous chuckle.

Gwen chuckled. "Why didn't you tell me?" Gwen asked hurt seeping into her voice. Merlin winced.

"I have always been told since I was in Ealdor to keep it a secret otherwise Gelmand," Merlin spat with venom, Gwen flinched at the tone. "Might catch wind of where I am. And besides, would you have believed me?" Gwen opened her mouth, then closed it again, because the truth is, no she wouldn't have. "Exactly. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, Merlin. I understand." Gwen said, softly. Gwen looked at the fallen dummy and looked to Merlin again. "I can't believe you can use a sword."

Merlin smiled sheepishly. "Yeah, I can. I have to keep up appearances. Who would suspect a clumsy, idiot servant of being a prince and a powerful warlock? Nobody."

"If I didn't know any better, I would say you are better than Arthur." Merlin blushed, and rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"Uh, well..."

Gwen's eyes widened. "You are." The mischievous glint appeared. "Just wait until I tell Arthur."

"No. Please, don't tell him."

"Okay, I won't. I promise. But Merlin, he will find out at some point." And with that, she left the training area, leaving the lost prince alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 280 26
After every dusk and the darkest hour it always comes the dawn. ~ What if Merlin managed to take Arthur to Avalon? What if Arthur lived? Will they bu...
83K 3.1K 36
One fine night you could hear the clanking of the armour and four knights draped in chain mail along with a sea green capes came into the castle to m...
12.4K 386 6
A rather attractive man is severely injured during a fight to save Arthur's life, and Kiara works hard to restore him to full health. However, it see...
50K 1.9K 60
We all know the story of the young boy called Merlin. But what the most people don't know is that he is the lost prince of Imardin, a kingdom with ma...