To the Past We Go

By Elizabeth_Emiya

They were winning, they were so close to victory. That's when Madara turned the war around. When all hope see... More

Back we go
Back in time
How to explain a war
From One Hokage to Another
Family dinner
How is this going to work
Kannabi bridge
Death by Hinata and Kushina
Birthday
Kakashi's Problem
Another visitor from another time
Kicks and giggles
Gender Reveal
Pranks
Pervy Sage
Babies
Til Death Do Us Part
Nocturnal
Father and Son
Waiting
Action
Decisions
We Didn't Eavesdrop!
Maybe... Just Maybe
When Death Came Knocking On His Door
The End

Waltzing down memory lane

18.9K 467 167
By Elizabeth_Emiya

"Yes lord Hokage?" Inoichi asked.

"I need you to take a look at that guys memories." Hiruzen ordered pointing to Naruto who simply waved at Inoichi. "He's from the future and came back to stop his war before it happens. The war in his time basically ends all life."

"Huh?" Inoichi asked certain he heard his Hokage wrong.

"He's from the future. I know it's hard to believe but he has proof. I need you to look through his memories. There are important memories that he says we need to know, but he can't tell us without falling apart." Hiruzen explained.

   "I get why Inoichi is here, but why am I here?" Shikaku asked.

   "You're the smartest person I know, I've got a killer headache from this mess, and I'm needing some opinions." Hiruzen said. "Inoichi when you look into his memories could you take us with you?" Hiruzen pointed to Shikaku, Minato, Kushina and himself.

   "And Kakashi. He needs to be there too." Naruto added.

   "That's a lot of people, but it seems doable. I probably won't be able to find the memory instantly because there's not a specific memory. I might come across other memories too." Inoichi warned.

Naruto hesitated for a second before replying. "That's fine." His mom already knew she was dead in the future, but she didn't know when she died, and Naruto didn't want her to. He didn't want her to find out when she died. As for his dad, Minato didn't even know he dies in the future. He was fairly certain that whatever memory they came across would tell Kushina and Minato that they were dead since the day Naruto was born.

Naruto's hesitation didn't go unnoticed by his parents. They looked at each other sharing a concerned look.

"Ok. Mind memory jutsu thingy that the author doesn't want to name/look up." Inoichi did the jutsu and everyone's subconsciousness was transferred over to Naruto's brain.

Instantly there was a memory awaiting them in his mind. Naruto cringed remembering which memory it was.

A young Naruto was sitting on his counter in his apartment. Standing next to him was an old third Hokage.

   "Here is your monthly allowance." Memory Hiruzen said handing Naruto some money.

   "What were my parents like? I'm not talking about how they died in the Kyuubi attack. I wanna know what they were like. What were their names?" Memory Naruto asked.

   "Parents?" Minato asked emphasizing the s. "As in plural?"

   "Ugh... surprise?" Naruto said.

   "How did this happen?" Kushina asked.

   "When I was born someone attacked me, so when dad saved me he was separated from mom. When that happened he extracted the Kyuubi from mom, and used it to attack the village. While the Kyuubi was attacking the village mom helped dad slow him down. Dad sealed the Kyuubi in me but the Kyuubi realized what was going on and attacked me. Mom and dad got in the way and saved me." Naruto explained.

   "So you were an orphan since birth. You didn't even know us." Kushina frowned.

"Then why weren't you at the orphanage? It looked like you were living alone?" Minato asked.

"I got kicked out of the orphanage when I was 4 or 5." Naruto answered.

"Why didn't anyone take you in?" Inoichi asked.

"Everyone of my parents friends already had a kid. They didn't want another one, it was just too much responsibility. Especially because I was the 'demon brat' and everyone was just looking out for their family. They didn't want their kids to suffer." Naruto replied.

"I still had old man third, Iruka-sensei, Teuchi and Ayame, and later I had Kakashi-sensei, Sasuke, Sakura, pervy sage, and grandma Tsunade. I had a lot of friends." Naruto added.

Nobody missed the fact that Naruto said 'had' instead of 'have' or 'has'.

"If we walk this way then we should get to the correct memories faster this way." Inoichi said going through a gate way.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Naruto sang.

"Why not?" Inoichi asked.

"Who dares interrupt my nap!" A deep voice growled.

"Agh! Th-th-That's the Kyuubi!" Inoichi squeaked.

"Actually his name is Kurama, and he's really just harmless." Naruto said.

   Shikaku couldn't believe his ears. Did Naruto really just say that the demonic creature that killed his parents was harmless?

   "Harmless? Don't go around tarnishing my good name kit." Kurama barked.

   "Oh please, you're just a big fuzzball." Naruto teased.

   "I'll tear you apart." Kurama threatened.

   "Cut the drama Kurama." Naruto snickered.

   "Thanks a lot kit. I could've gotten in a lot of scaring." Kurama grumbled.

   Naruto looked around. "I think you already did." Hiruzen looked as pale as a ghost. Shikaku had a 'What the frick is going on' face although it was a pretty lazy one. Inoichi looked scared sh*tless, and looked as though he just had a heart attack. Minato just had a blank look on his face not really processing what was going on.

"When did the Kyuubi get so dang friendly?! The only thing he says to me are insults if we even speak!" Kushina yelled angrily.

"Well Kurama used to be a huge jerk when he still had all that hate and anger in him." Naruto explained.

"Watch it kit." Kurama grumbled lazily.

"You know it's true." Naruto said.

"What are you guys doing here anyway?" Kurama asked changing the subject.

   "They need to see some details about the war." Naruto explained all the warmth and playfulness in his eyes gone.

   "I'll never understand you humans." Kurama shook his head and shrunk down to a vulpix. "Well let's go." Kurama walked over to Naruto.

   The next memory of Naruto was him wandering around the village out of money and hungry. He looked at Ichiraku's ramen with a hungry face. Teuchi (auto correct kept trying to change his name to teacher) noticed this and allowed Naruto to eat for free.

   They kept on seeing little parts of Naruto's life. Naruto saving Hinata from the bullies, the fight against Orochimaru in the Chunin exams, Hinata vs. Neji, Naruto vs. Neji, Naruto vs. Gaara, Naruto vs. Sasuke, Sasuke coming back to Konoha, Pain destroying Konoha, Hinata saving Naruto from Pain and confessing her love, Sakura healing Hinata, Naruto meeting his dad ("why'd you punch me?!" Minato yelled), Naruto meeting his mom ("oh so you're nice to her but punched me." Minato huffed). and then the turning point of the war.

   Madara and Obito were doing these signs quickly. The next thing anyone knew there were laser like beams killing half of the shinobi alliance. That killed Hiashi, Hanabi, Sakura and her unborn child, Tsunade who passed the title of Hokage to Kakashi moments before her death, Tenten, Shikamaru, Lee, Kurenai and many other courageous shinobi.

They saw memory Naruto walking towards the camp with a grim look on his face. As the few people who were still at the camp started to notice them return they came closer to welcome them back. They either came to welcome them to see how many they lost this time, or to check if their loved ones made it out alright.

"Naruto! You made it back!" Memory Hinata cried tears of joy and relief while hugging memory Naruto.

Memory Naruto in response gripped memory Hinata tightly as though she was his lifeline. "Hinata I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." Memory Naruto cried.

"Why are you sorry?" Memory Hinata asked afraid of the answer. She looked around searching for something or someone. Once she couldn't find what she was looking for she gulped. "Naruto, where's father and Hanabi?"

"M-Madara he-he has a secret weapon. He killed over half of us. We had no idea he had a jutsu like that." Memory Naruto said.

"Their not... no!" Memory Hinata cried, but this time out of sorrow.

   "Konohamaru... he was so upset and angry that he attacked Obito head on. He was gone so fast. And I... I was just useless." Memory Naruto gritted his teeth.

   "Kit, it wasn't your fault. You didn't know he was going to do that." Present (past?) Kurama told Naruto once he noticed that Naruto still blamed himself.

"He was like my little brother, and I just let him die. Bat to mention I failed in protecting Hinata's family causing Hinata to be hurt." Naruto balled up his fists.

   "You did everything you could..." Kurama started.

   "... and it still wasn't good enough." Naruto said angry at himself.

   "It was Madara and Obito who did it. You have a chance to save them now. Don't let your feelings get in the way of you saving everyone." Kurama said.

   Everyone else wasn't sure what to say. They felt as though they were intruding on something. They just sort of looked away wanting to comfort him, but not sure how to.

The following memory was of Kakashi fighting Obito. The fighting revealed that memory Obito was under a genjutsu the entire time causing memory Kakashi to hesitate. His hesitation gave memory Obito the opening he needed to kill memory Kakashi using his own jutsu against him.

"Remember this jutsu Kakashi? It's only fitting that you die the way you killed her." Memory Obito smirked over memory Kakashi's dying body. Memory Obito then retreated probably to find Madara.

   "Kakashi-sensei!" Memory Naruto yelled running over to memory Kakashi.

   "Naruto, I'm sorry I failed you. Tell Sasuke I'm sorry too, I'll tell Sakura how well you two are doing. Make sure you lead this alliance well, then again I don't have to tell you that, seventh Hokage." With that memory Kakashi took his last ragged breath in the world of the living.

   "K-Kakashi-sensei?" Naruto mumbled shaking his former sensei. "You can't be... I don't understand, how could this war have taken so much from everyone. So many people gone, and now you too Kakashi-sensei. This war has to end soon before everyone is killed."

Swallowing all the pride and dignity present/past Kurama had left in his form, he jumped onto Naruto's shoulder.

Through out that memory, Naruto kept looking at his former (future?) sensei as though Kakashi had died since the last time he looked at him.

"Naruto..." Minato began.

"The next Memory should be the last one." Naruto interrupted.

The last memory was of Sasuke dying and taking Naruto and Hinata to the past. After that memory they (including mini Kurama) exited Naruto's head.

   Naruto stood facing away from everyone unable to look at their faces. Literally every person in that room was dead in the future. And sure he didn't know Shikaku and Inoichi that well, but just looking at them reminded him of their kids who he watched die.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 121K 75
They failed, and they weren't proud of it either. With nobody left to save, and nothing left to do, the three men have given up all hope. Obito and M...
21.7K 599 20
Kabuto foresaw the Izanami. He knew this would happen. But he did not like to lose. That is why, he had a backup. A plan to destroy everything. Now...
222K 6K 17
Kurama sends Naruto back to change the fate of the world. What Naruto didn't expect was to wake up as a female, let alone have red hair. However this...
149K 2.3K 30
(Discontinued) For years, Naruto had nothing. No love, no family, no strength, and no happiness. Only when he leaves Konoha does he get everything he...