SOTUS - The Next Chapter

By zero_effs_given

Arthit and Kongpob are about to walk together into their shared future. Could there still be other obstacles... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12 - 1.
12 - 2.
13.
14 -1.
14 - 2.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19 - 1.
19 - 2
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29-1.
30.
Epilogue
Special Chapter
Special Chapter (2)

29-2.

5.8K 309 119
By zero_effs_given

The young man walks up from behind Earth.

"I work as a waiter in this hotel's restaurant. I moved here with my boyfriend over a year ago and we've been living happily ever since." he replies.

"Happily, huh? People like you, James and Arthit, you don't deserve to be happy!" Khun Watakeekul spits out.

"And who gives you the right to say that?" P'Earth asks. "What have James or Arthit ever done wrong? They are both kind, caring, hard-working people who also happen to be in same-sex relationships. Why can't they be happy?"

"They're ... they're disgusting!! All gay people like them are disgusting! They're all selfish and ... and they think they're always the victims, they think they're the only  ones having a hard life."

The boss is by now shaking with ire, fingers wrapped so tightly around the glass that it wouldn't be a surprise if he managed to break it.

"I thinkt hat the way you treated Khun James and I is disgusting. I was so excited to learn I've finally won the Electric Design contest, after three years of entering my ideas and failing, only to have you cut my wings. I've been crying myself to sleep almost every night, missing my husband, family and friends because you practically forced me to transfer away from my home. I am sure Khun James went through equally awful experiences because of you." Arthit retorts.

"He knows exactly what he's made me go through." James comments.

Watakeekul shakes his head, laughing a bitter laugh.

"See? Just like I said, you guys think you are the only ones suffering. What about me? Do you know how ..." there he falls silent, hesitating for a moment.

"It was one of your kind, a gay guy, who shamelessly seduced my father and took him away from us when I was still in elementary school. The entire neighborhood and all my classmates found out and my mother and I became the laughing stock of the community we were living in. I would be mocked at school everyday, constantly reminded that my dad abandoned us for a fag. My mother couldn't handle the stress, she started drinking, she lost her job ..."

The man pauses again, covering his face with his free hand, to wipe at the tears, before they run down his cheeks.

"She ... she was all I had left and she ..."

"I understand that must have marked you deeply, especially because you were still a child, but that doesn't justify your hatred for all the gay people out there. We are not all like the one who broke your family." James reasons.

"You expect us to pity you for your sad past and hope to get away with having discriminated against them without taking responsibility for your acts, but I for one won't allow it." P'Earth adds, determined look upon her face.

It appears Arthit is the only one whose heart has been genuinely touched by the man's story. He loves his parents so much, he couldn't imagine witnessing his family crumble in front of his eyes because of an outsider. But no, he figures he can't be weak, he can't let emotions reign his judgement. P'Earth and James are correct in thinking the man has to apologize for his behavior, no matter his traumatizing past.

"Then, what do you want from me? What do you want me to do?" the boss asks.

"I just need an honest apology." James answers.

Since Arthit is silent, seemingly lost in thoughts, P'Earth holds his arm to gain his attention.

"Oh, um ... I ... I want to go back home. An apology would also be nice ..."

Watakeekul breathes out loudly but he doesn't say anything and there's also nothing in his stance or facial expression to indicate he is about to apologize. Not right here and right now, at least.

"There you were! I've been looking everywhere for you." P'Durian suddenly walks out onto the deck, interrupting. "The CEO is waiting for us to sit at the table so we can have a toast."

Arthit watches as his boss rushes inside ahead of them without sparing anyone a second look. Even after all that happened, he wanted to believe Watakeekul wasn't inherently a bad person but now he is not sure anymore.

✥✥✥

After dinner, the Ocean Electric staff moves to the outdoor bar, where they enjoy refreshing drinks while listening to the upbeat music. The only thing that can somehow brighten up Arthit's evening, is noticing Nong Best and Ace, the intern, getting really cozy with one another. He is glad the boy seems to have found someone to cure him from his recent heartbreak.

"P'Arthit, your glass is empty. Can I get you something else?" Nong April pops up from behind his shoulder, startling him. Her cheeks are a dark shade of pink, indicating she's already a bit drunk.

"No, I'm fine."

"Okay. But I am definitely going to get me a new one. That bartender is so cute, oh my gosh!" she whispers, pointing in her "target's" direction, before she wobbles her way over to the bar counter.

Arthit slides off his chair, intent on retreating to a more quiet area where he can call Kongpob and tell him ... he isn't sure how he's gonna let his husband know P'Earth's and his plan failed. He doesn't get to do it because the CEO gathers everyone for the closing speech.

"I would like to once again thank the organizers who helped plan the activities for today and those who took care of the accommodation and the delicious dinner and of course all the Ocean Electric employees present. In my opinion, this year's outing was one of the best so far. I hope you've managed to make new friends as well as strengthen the already established connections. A big thank you to those from the branch office in Bangkapi, especially the team in the Purchasing Dept. We appreciate the efforts you have put into reviving the factory with a well-thought out product." Khun Piroj then looks directly at Arthit and gives him a warm smile. "Arthit, I knew you wouldn't disappoint me."

His short speech ends with a few more words of gratitude and a loud round of applause from the attendees. Just as the crowd is about to dissipate, going back to their smaller groups of friends, Watakeekul steps next to Khun Piroj, out of nowhere.

"Excuse me, I would also like to say a few words, if I may."

"Oh, okay, sure." the older man approves, making room for him to stand in the middle.

It's so quiet, even the music stopped. Arthit can clearly hear his own heart beating in his eardrums. He has no clue what his boss is up to and it scares him.

"I need ... to make an apology to ... to someone whom I've hurt with my ... with my cruel, unfair behavior." Watakeekul starts speaking.

People look at one another, confused. Arthit swallows hard, holding onto P'Earth's arm for comfort.

"Khun, what are you talking about?" the CEO inquires.

"I've ... I've been harassing Khun Arthit and Khun James, one of my colleagues at my previous job."

An unanimous gasp rises from among the employees.

"Harassing? What ... what do you mean?" P'Durian asks, voice trembling.

"I hated them because they're gay. I've grown up despising gay people, one of their kind destroyed my family. I ... I couldn't stand the idea of working alongside a homosexual. That's why I ... I did all in my power to make their lives miserable."

"Khun, are you ... is this real? Do you realize what you are confessing to?" Khun Piroj addresses him.

"Yes, I am aware. And if you or any of the two young men intend to take legal action against my wrongdoings, I will accept it. Being confronted by both Khun James and Khun Arthit, I finally realized that what I've been doing was terrible, I was hurting innocent people that had nothing to do with the one who turned my life upside down when I was only a child."

Watakeekul lets tears flow freely this time around. He looks at Arthit and joins his hands in front of his face, bowing his head lightly towards the latter.

"Arthit, I am sorry for taking the well deserved first prize in the Electric Design Contest from you. I am sorry I forced you to transfer to the branch office."

The young man is biting his lips to prevent himself from breaking into tears. His mind is still catching up with the events unfolding in front of him. Is his boss actually apologizing to him? In front of all the Ocean Electric personnel? Or is this just a dream and he's about to be woken up by the alarm on his phone?

James then walks up to Watakeekul. He's apparently ended his shift in the meantime and is now wearing casual clothes. And is accompanied by another young man, who Arthit assumes must be his boyfriend.

"It took you a goddamn long time to realize your mistakes but I guess it's better later than never." he says. "P', this is Ai' Guy, my boyfriend of 6 years. We would like to tell you that we forgive you."

"Th-thank you. James, Khun Guy, I ... I am so sorry, I ..."

The young man gives him a short smile and holds his boyfriend's hand tightly into his, before they excuse themselves.

"Arthit, what will you do?" Earth whispers.

"I ... "

Arthit figures that now it's his turn to answer to Khun Watakeekul's public apology.

"Arthit ... I don't know if you believe me when I say this, but I knew you would do great in Bangkapi. I knew if there was anyone who could help the dying factory get back on track, that would be you. I am very proud of your achievements."

"Thank you, sir. I hope I was able to prove that I am man enough to tackle such a complicated task."

"Absolutely! I will help speed up your transfer procedures once I'm back in the office. Also, you don't need to worry about ever seeing me again when you return." Watakeekul turns to look at Khun Piroj. "I will hand in my resignation first thing Monday morning."

"Khun, you ..."

"Thank you for listening, I will excuse myself now. Have a good night, everyone."

✥✥✥

"P'Arthit, mind if I join you?" Nong Best asks his senior.

Arthit shakes his head and pats the spot next to him, on the sand. It's past midnight but he couldn't sleep, so he decided to take a short stroll on the beach.

"How did you find me?"

"I dunno, I was lucky I guess." the junior replies, with a sheepish grin.

"Shouldn't you be with Nong Ace?"

"H-huh?! W-why should I ...?"

"I saw you two getting all nice and cozy with each other, don't even bother to deny it."

"Oh, P'Arthit, that was ... I ..."

"I think you'd make a cute couple." Arthit comments, looking out into the dark horizon.

Best stares at his face for as long as the other seems too lost in his own thoughts to notice it. Today the boy made a new friend and potential future lover, it was a good day, but he will need time to erase P'Arthit from his heart completely, he knows that for sure.

"P'Arthit, how much longer do you think you'll be working with us?"

"Hmmm, I don't know. I can't wait to go back home, though. I miss Kongpob, my family, my friends. I even miss my bed, I ..." Arthit stops mid-sentence when he turns to look at his younger colleague and sees tears staining his cheeks.

"Best, what's wrong?"

"Sorry, P'. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ... Don't mind me, I'm being silly." Best replies, wiping at his wet face while forcing out a laughter.

"Nong, please don't be like this. I promise I'll come visit sometime."

"It's just ... you're the first person I've ever fallen in love with." Best blurts out between sniffles, still covering his face with his hands.

"I'm flattered, I really am. And I've told you before that I think you are a very nice man. If I weren't taken, maybe we could've become a couple, who knows? But I love Kongpob, for me he's the only one I'll ever love. He's my soulmate. I am sure you'll find yours one day."

"Thanks, P'Arthit. Can I give you a hug?"

"Sure. Come here, you crybaby." Arthit says, bringing the younger one into his arms and giving him a good squeeze.

"I'm gonna miss you a lot." Best mumbles into the crook of his neck.

"Me, too. You and all of the staff in the Purchasing Dept. of the branch office."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

188K 3.9K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
31.2K 666 33
Lydia Bauman, a 19 year old young lady with such terrible luck and trauma makes the difficult decision to leave her life behind in her hometown to mo...
1.9M 59.1K 51
[Highest Ranking - #5 in Teen Fiction] [Highest Ranking - #1 in Teen Pregnancy] PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS "The Best Mistake" "She almost couldn't read out...
48.2K 653 25
Vaughn aka junior a hood nigga falls in love with Mercedes aka m&m or cedes