Friends Don't

By cocoalatte7

Ellie Knight has her whole future planned out for her, but instead, she chooses to go away to college to get... More

Author's Note
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty

Chapter One

38.6K 753 373
By cocoalatte7

I was laid back relaxing on the couch in my dorm room watching a rerun of Friends, trying to enjoy the beauty of the show, but Lana, my best friend of twelve years, wouldn't shut up about the party at some fraternity house.

"Oh c'mon, Ellie, it'll be fun!" She was begging at this point for me to go.

"Lana, all you're wanting is to go in hopes of finding some hot guy." I kept my focus on the tv.

"That's not the only reason," she said to which I turned my head slightly to eye her. "Okay, well that might be a little bit true, but it will still be fun!"

I let out a long sigh, one of those you do to overdramatize a situation. "Fine. I'll go."

"Yay!" She clapped her hands excitedly while doing a small dance.

It was around ten when we made it to the party. I was ready by eight, only throwing on a pair of tight jeans and a t-shirt one size too big, and my light brown hair fell perfectly over my shoulders in its natural wave, if you could even call it a wave. My hair was almost too straight, but it did wave out slightly. Lana kept trying to get me to change into something more party-ish as she put it, but I wanted to be comfy and I had no one to impress. Lana, on the other hand, wore a tight black dress and 4 inch heels, curling her dyed blonde hair to perfection. She had no one to impress either, but by the looks of it, she was hoping she would impress someone.

"I can't believe we're finally here." She smiled as we walked up the driveway.

"Me either. How long it took you to get ready I thought we would never leave the dorm."

"Oh hush," she said whacking my arm. "Let's go have some fun." She shook her hips hip bumping me, catching me by surprise and knocking me at least a foot into the grass.

As we made our way inside, the house was already crawling with people. Some looked like they just arrived while others looked like they were already four alcoholic beverages in.

We spotted a few people we knew here and there, spending a few minutes saying hellos and making small talk. Then Lana noticed a guy standing near the group doing keg stands. "Well hello. Who do we have here?"

"Are you going to talk to him, or just stand here drooling at him from across the room?" I asked her.

"I'm not drooling," she said and then worry spread across her face. "Am I?" she asked as she looked at me.

"No. Now go talk to him. He's looking over here." I pushed her in his direction. It took her a second to regain her balance and then she slowly made her way over to him.

I watched their introduction to each other and then when things seemed good I decided to go get myself a drink. If I was going to stay at the party for awhile I needed a drink to help me get through it.

I headed for the kitchen, squeezing my way through the people who found it necessary to stand in the middle of the room talking and not even attempting to move to allow walking space.

The large island in the middle of the kitchen held the drinks; some alcoholic and some not. I mixed me up a drink, as soda nor water was going to cut it. The first sip burned my throat. I really wasn't much for drinking, but parties weren't really my thing, either, so I needed something.

I mingled with a few people hanging around the island, some looking just as thrilled to be there as I was. I figured one of their friends dragged them there just like me.

Then I spotted some guy making his rounds talking to girls throughout the party. They seemed to gawk over him, taking in his every word. I mean he was very attractive, hot even, with his short dark hair styled perfectly and his nicely toned arms on display in his short sleeve white shirt which was the perfect contrast to his tanned body. Not too mention his blue eyes that seemed to give off a sparkle when the light him them just right, and his smile was perfect, as well. A hint of black ink crept down from under his right sleeve.

The only problem with him? He was flirting with just about every girl he passed on his way to the kitchen.

That was when he made it over to the island grabbing a beer. His eyes flickered over to me and a smile appeared. "What's your name? he asked me.

"Ellie." I could see him perfectly now. Not only were his eyes blue but they had the smallest hint of gray laced in them.

"I'm Grayson." He took a sip of his beer. "How come I've never seen you around these parties before?"

"Because I'm not really into the party scene. My best friend wanted me to come with her so I did."

'Well, Ellie," he began as he looked me up and down, "you have the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen." He had a smirk on his face as he winked.

"Okay, we've done the introduction thing. You can stop now." Not that I didn't take it as a compliment because I did. My eyes were one thing I liked about myself. They were like a mixture of the softest colors of blue and green.

"Stop what?"

"You walk around here flirting with every girl, and then expect me to fall at your feet like them?" I looked up at him quizzically and laughed. "Oh, honey. Get over yourself."

The smirk fell from his lips into a thin line as I rolled my eyes at him and walked away.

I scanned the room for Lana, finally finding her in a corner of the room talking to some guy. "Ellie, hey!" She smiled when I approached them. "This is Derek. He's in our Psychology class."

"Oh, right," I nodded as if remembering him, but in reality I had no clue who he was. In my defense the class was huge and I didn't pay much attention to anyone. "It's nice to, officially, meet you," I added.

"Same," he said giving me a warm smile.

"Where have you been? I haven't seen you in awhile," Lana said just before raising her cup to her lips and taking a sip of her mixed drink.

"Well, I was getting a drink, then some douchebag came over and I had to walk away from that," I told her, remembering that I had left my drink setting on the counter.

Lana laughed. "Of course."

"But I think I'm going to head home. I've had enough of tonight," I told her.

"Okay, I'll see you in class tomorrow." She gave me a hug.

"See you guys tomorrow," I said to them before heading for the front door.

I made my way outside into the cool November air, folding my arms and holding them tight against me as if that would help, but the hairs stood up on my bare arms telling me otherwise.

"I can drive you," a voice said from behind.

The voice was one I had just learned and already annoyed me to hear. "No thank you. The dorm is literally right across the street."

"But you're cold," he said as he moved in front of me and began to walk backwards.

"Maybe it's your heart sending a chill into the air."

"Oh, now that's just mean."

Maybe it was, I didn't really know him well enough to say that about him, but it was a good comeback nonetheless. "But it was funny," I said.

He smiled. "I'll give you that," he began and then the smile faded, "but still, you don't know me."

"I think I saw enough earlier," I said as I checked both ways of traffic before stepping onto the street "to come to the conclusion that I've seen enough."

"You're harsh. You know that?"

I shrugged my shoulders and darted across to the other side of the street. As I began walking down the sidewalk I heard him yell, "What I said about your eyes, I really meant it."

Once inside my dorm room I kicked off my shoes and slid out of my jeans, opting to leave my shirt on as it was bigger and comfy. Then I laid on my bed and switched the television back on. It still felt too early to go to sleep.

A buzzing noise sounded from the floor and I got up remembering I left my phone in the back pocket of my jeans. I pulled out my phone and hit the screen to light it up.

There was a text from Jared. I miss you

Shove it I text him back.

***

Please let me know what you thought of the first chapter!

What are your thoughts on the characters so far?

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11K 75 1
[18+] Indie Mclarin has been in love with her best friend Hunter for as long as she can remember, but after going to college on opposite ends of the...
2.4K 149 33
With a drug lord for a father and an addict for a mother, Jade Taylor has been dealt a pretty shabby hand in life. Her childhood was spent in a const...
2.1M 56.3K 54
[COMPLETE] Soz this may be cringe, it was written very long ago A seemingly ordinary, working college girl meets a cool, undeniably sexy boy with m...
1.3M 37.2K 50
Sometimes, the guy falls in love first. Deeply. In kindergarten, she gave him a flower. She forgot her kindness, but he would always remember. No ma...