Pokemon - From the Brink

By TobyGrazier

The 8th book in the 'Pokemon - The Biggest Wish' series! The World Tournament comes around in a new format... More

Prologue - In Your Hands
Chapter 1 - Babysitting in the Storm
Chapter 2 - Getting the Call
Chapter 3 - Naming the Squad
Chapter 4 - Mission
Chapter 5 - A Way In
Chapter 6 - Red Eye
Chapter 7 - Bond Phenomenon
Chapter 8 - Ripples
Chapter 9 - Continental Cup Draw
Chapter 10 - What's Inside
Chapter 11 - Brewing Storm
Chapter 12 - The Eagle Takes Flight
Chapter 13 - Wake-up Call
Chapter 14 - Fear Named
Chapter 15 - Power in Reverse
Chapter 16 - Trapped in Slumber
Chapter 17 - Freezing Semi-final
Chapter 18 - Action Plan
Chapter 19 - Unorthodox Training
Chapter 20 - Just Focus!
Chapter 21 - Sky Chase
Chapter 22 - Strike Back
Chapter 23 - Anger Issues
Chapter 24 - Eve of the End
Chapter 25 - Grand Europa Looms
Chapter 26 - Broken
Chapter 27 - Those Left Behind
Chapter 28 - Truth
Chapter 29 - Our Shot
Chapter 30 - Bedlam
Chapter 31 - Coaxing Courage
Chapter 32 - Snag
Chapter 33 - Willpower Wakes
Chapter 34 - Glimmer
Chapter 35 - Azelf in Action
Chapter 36 - Kiria Kurono: Origin
Chapter 37 - The Hero in the Moment
Chapter 38 - To Protect and Save
Chapter 39 - In the Pursuit of Knowledge
Chapter 40 - Siege
Chapter 41 - Crackles in the Dark
Chapter 42 - Secret of Shu
Chapter 43 - Sayonara, Bystander
Chapter 44 - Two-pronged Pre-emptive Strike
Chapter 45 - The Sword Roars
Chapter 46 - The Phoenix Rises
Chapter 47 - The Lightning Strikes
Chapter 48 - Shield Song
Chapter 49 - Leader by Nature
Chapter 51 - The Face of Catastrophe
Chapter 52 - Unshackled Reaper
Chapter 53 - Back from the Dead
Chapter 54 - Evil's Hierarchy
Chapter 55 - Uneasy Alliance
Chapter 56 - To Lose it All
Chapter 57 - Help from on High
Chapter 58 - The Only Way
Chapter 59 - Our Forever
Chapter 60 - Borrowed Time

Chapter 50 - One More Night

18 2 0
By TobyGrazier

The intensity and ferocity of the calamity was too horrific to bear. In the dead of night, Brazil became the epicentre of the worst tragedy the world had ever known.

It came on the wind – a stale breeze that tore through the country with all the power of a raging typhoon, and yet made almost no sound. In reality, it was the screams of those conscious to witness it that alerted others to their doom.

Colossal fingers of blackest night raked across roughly a million square kilometres with each swipe, eviscerating all sentient life they touched. No buildings were damaged, and yet the people were slain in their homes, the killer plunging through the walls like a spectre in the night. Every death was instantaneous, with no time for pain. The populous was simply razed where they stood, with no trace of their physical selves having ever existed.

All it took was a measly 2 minutes to wipe out an entire country worth of people. Even those who were awake at the time and aware that something was happening stood no chance – the plague sweeping their nation was thorough and ruthless. Emergency calls were made, but by the time a line connected, the person on at least one of the ends was already dead. And it wasn't long before the same was true for everyone.

Some had tried to flee by getting in their cars, but they too were cleaved from their mortal coil, leaving their cars to roll down the streets. This posed no danger though – because there was no longer anyone alive to be struck by a stray vehicle.

Traffic lights still buzzed, and some lights still illuminated the night sky, but when the cars crashed and burned, there was no one around to hear it. Alarms would sound, but nobody would ever come to turn them off.

Highways were littered with cars and trucks that had crashed into each other, some overturned and some flaming as their crumpled hoods leaked flammable fuel – but none of it mattered as the roads ignited and smoke filled the air, for no one could smell the burning asphalt.

Over 210 million people were killed in the blink of an eye, and nobody even knew what was happening. That was just Brazil alone – its neighbouring countries no doubt experienced at least some of the same fate. Over half of the entire population of South America had been decimated.

It wasn't until the early hours of the morning when a passing boat sailing by the coast of São Paolo docked out of curiosity that the reality of the devastation became known worldwide.

The small crew stepped onto land to find it eerily quiet, and no matter where they went, every establishment was empty. Nobody answered their front doors, and the city was a desolate wasteland, with no signs of life.

They called back to their home country, and, within the next few hours, search and rescue teams were flown in from worldwide along with military forces, with news crews and journalists eager to record what was going on. But in reality, they had nothing to go on. Brazil was completely abandoned. It was as if South America had had its heart pulled clean from its chest.

The only thing anyone found in Brazil amongst the cold and quiet wreckage of the phantom massacre was a single, lonely infant.

Somehow, by some twisted fate, one baby had managed to avoid the fate of so many. It was found right by the border between Brazil and Bolivia, in a town that was also completely empty. No people, no Pokemon – nothing. The first responders tried venturing into Bolivia itself to find people, but it too was eerily mute. The only living sound came from the crying little baby girl, who had been found wrapped up in a blanket, covered in dirt in a sandy ditch.

As the medic picked up the infant and cradled her as she wailed and screamed about a tragedy she knew nothing of, the reporters and soldiers alike felt a great wave of dread wash over them. It was uncharacteristically cool for the time of year, and it made them shudder.

200 million people didn't just go missing overnight – it was unheard of.

Word of the bizarre incident spread fast, and world powers quickly realised that this was not to be taken lightly. All signs pointed to one thing, and that day, news reports across the globe began digging back into the incident that had occurred on Liocott Island during the final round of the Continental Cup. The alien force that had claimed the lives of countless attendees and had since attacked places in the USA and and Asia – this was undoubtedly the same threat. But it was stronger now.

Much stronger.

*

"Is it too late...?" Celebi shook.

"The power of this foe is immense." Palkia closed its eyes.

"To wipe out so much life in an instant..." Giratina frowned. "If it isn't put in check and eradicated as soon as possible, it will consume everything. I fear not even we are safe here."

"What...? How is that possible...?" Celebi looked around at her safe haven at the Apex of Time. "We're outside of time and space... Right...?"

"That doesn't matter." Palkia sighed. "I have been feeling it... The boundaries of our place in the universe... They are crumbling."

"The foe is beating against our walls. Sooner or later, it will break them down." Giratina lowered its head.

"No..." Celebi swallowed. "No, no...! Can't we do something? We have to join with the humans and their Pokemon!"

"If we leave-"

"If we leave, time and space become unstable – yeah, I know!" She was frustrated. "But what does that matter if that monster breaks in here and kills us anyway?! Don't you want to fight back?! We can't just sit here and wait to die – don't we have a responsibility to protect this world?!"

"You speak the truth... But I fear it is not as simple as you say." Palkia shook its head. "If we should cause the collapse of our world by leaving our place, then we are no better than our enemy."

"Not even for a little bit?!" Celebi begged. "Can't we at least share our strengths with those who would fight back?"

"Young one..."

"If we live to witness someone stand against this monster, then perhaps we ought to do as she says." Giratina nodded.

"Without Dialga, we do not possess enough strength between us to keep this place stable while one of us is away." Palkia looked at the bejewelled egg sitting at the centre of the Apex. "I understand your frustration, but there is nothing we can do."

"Grr..." Celebi gritted her teeth, the power that Dialga bestowed upon her flaring up throughout her body. "I'm sorry I'm not good enough..." She said to the egg with the shining diamond at its centre. "If you want to rejoin us though, now would be a good time..." She half expected the egg to respond, but it sat, as motionless as it had been since the day Dialga had sacrificed itself.

"Oh..." She fluttered to the floor and sat, her head lowered in a sulk. "Someone will do something... Right...?"

*

"...What...?" Nelly blinked.

"You can't be serious..." Paolo took a step back.

"H-how many people...?" Shu-ling shuddered.

Megan had just relayed the disturbing news about Brazil and its neighbouring countries.

"At least two-hundred million people." She said, her tone one of defeat. "But it's expected to be somewhere closer to two-hundred and fifty..."

There was a hard silence in the room as everyone came to terms with what they had just heard.

"This..." Chloe's voice trembled. She clenched her fists and we could practically hear her teeth grinding. "This is..." Her eyes were burning, and electricity was sparking up around her fists. "RrrrrrRRRRH! YOU BASTARD!" She screamed, and the windows around the office cracked as massive pulses of lightning danced across her body, causing the air to buzz and the lights to flicker.

"H-hey!" Victor recoiled.

"Calm down-!" Kiria began.

"THIS IS ENOUGH!" Chloe roared. "NO MORE!"

"Easy." Zeraora put his hand on her shoulder and began to absorb the flashing bolts into his own body.

"Gh..." She looked to him and he shook his head. "Dammit...!" She slowly dropped down to one knee and punched the floor, distressed sparks trickling out and dying. "No more..."

We watched her with pain in our hearts, knowing that we all felt the same way. It was just that she was more expressive in a way.

"God dammit..." Caleb was clenching his fists so hard his muscles could have burst.

"My friends, I..." Midorima pushed up his glasses and looked at his palm. "I think we may have finally... Run out of time..."

"No..." Yu's lip quivered. "I don't wanna die... I..." He started to cry.

"Ah..." Gabi reached out and patted the boy's head, his own face steeped in sorrow.

"Bedlam's power is rapidly increasing." Janus said. "It's safe to say that it has surpassed the strength it possessed back on Liocott Island."

"How can we even catch up at this rate...?" I swallowed.

"I don't think there is a way to catch up..." Shu held his head in his hands.

"Shu..." Shaymin looked up in concern.

"Simply put, we're no match for this creature..." Uxie was loathe to admit it.

"No..." Azelf hated to hear him say it.

"...Is that just it?" Hikaru frowned. "After all that...? After all we've done...?"

"Hold on." Kiria shook her head, her professionalism taking hold. "We're not dead yet."

"Kiria..." Kai wondered if she had some kind of misplaced optimism.

"We might as well be..." Shu winced.

"We're gonna die..." Yu hid his face in Gabi's side.

"..." Paolo's eyes were closed, his chin perched upon his finger as he thought. Cobalion watched him closely, as if expecting him to speak.

"...We are out of time." The Italian spoke.

"Eh?"

Everyone turned to look at him.

"That much is true." He went on, opening his eyes. "But, mi amici, that doesn't mean we are out of options. We don't have to sit here and wait to die."

"And what exactly do you suggest we do?" Hikaru asked.

Paolo looked her in the eyes, then scanned the room. "We fight. After all, it's what we've been preparing to do."

"Us? Fight that thing?" Caleb frowned.

"I mean it." Paolo nodded. "You were prepared to fight it before today. Why let the news of what happened sway you from that determination?"

"Well... It does sort of put things into perspective, Amigo, you have to admit..." Gabi sighed.

"I agree, but I'm not going to sulk about it." Paolo took a breath. "We know that Bedlam can't be beaten by normal means. We're the only ones who even stand any kind of chance against it. We have that luxury – are we really going to give up before we even try?" He stepped forward. "We are the only ones who might be able to end this – because if we don't, we will die regardless. I know you don't want to be wiped out with a whimper." His eyes took us all in. "Listen... A lot of people have already fallen to that... Monster. People we knew, and people we didn't. People we may have liked or disliked – people we loved..."

Everyone lowered their gaze, remembering those who had fallen who we hadn't been able to save. We had lost Mira, Carmello and Zhang. Victor's older brother Vladimir had perished too, along with our friend Ix. Gabi and Paolo had lost their best friends in Miguel and Angelo respectively, whilst Chloe had lost the love of her life in Felicia. Even Alfred had fallen victim to Bedlam's conquest.

Truth be told, there was no telling how many other people we knew had been taken from us.

"What I mean to say is... People died." Paolo shook his head. "But we can put an end to that. Only we can put an end to that. When I say this, I know you all feel the same...: We owe it to those that we've lost to fight back with everything we have. Because, if we would only die otherwise, I would rather give my life fighting to end this madness."

He reached out and unsheathed his silver sword. "If we come together, we can stop Bedlam. We need to remain unified – because only when we all work towards the same end are we at our strongest." Paolo lifted his sword skyward and looked around at us all. "Please, tell me that you won't all roll over and die because the odds seem stacked against us. I don't want to, but I'm willing to fight alone, because I couldn't forgive myself if I stayed back. But I hope you will all stand with me when the fight begins."

There was a moment of silence as everyone looked around at each other, unsure what to think.

"I hate corny speeches like that – can't stand 'em." Caleb stepped forward. "But..."

He summoned his earth-sword and raised it high alongside Paolo's. "I'm not above admitting when they work. I'm with you."

"Caleb... Grazie." Paolo nodded back at him.

"You are a leader one could easily find themselves believing wholeheartedly in." Midorima reached up and put his hand on Paolo's wrist. "I know our odds, but for once, I'm not interested in the statistics. I will give it my all."

"Midorima...!"

"I've got to do this too." Victor stepped in, adding his hand. "For Volodya. I'll do my best to help in any way I can!"

"You make a compelling case, Amigo." Gabi came forward and reached upwards, his left hand resting on Paolo's shoulder. "Let's do it. I'll be your wings on high."

"You kids are too damn dramatic." Kiria shrugged. "But I like your spirit. I'm in." She placed her right hand among the others, her left on her hip.

"I can't say to this." Hikaru walked up and raised her green blade, adding it to the cause. "No more running. That's what I promised, and I'm sticking to it."

"Amici..." Paolo's grin grew wider.

"Our powers give us a unique responsibility in this war..." Skyra planted his hand on Victor's shoulder and reached up. "I have to use them to protect the people I care about – so I'll be your shield."

"I-I..." Shu-ling ducked in beside Midorima and lifted his hand. "I can do this... I have to... No more hiding!"

I looked to Nelly and she smiled back. I took a deep breath and joined the gathering.

"I'm scared..." I admitted as I reached towards the top of the huddle. "But that proves that I want to live - so I'll fight." I nodded.

"Everyone..." Paolo beamed.

"Ah..." Chloe slowly rose from the floor and stretched. "Well, if we're doing this..." She walked over and stood beside Paolo. "Of course I'm fighting this asshat. One condition, though." She said as her hand fell on top of Shu's wrist. "I'm the one who finishes it off."

"Heh." Paolo smirked.

The eleven of us stood together, united by Paolo.

"Today, we'll do what we can to prepare – but tomorrow, we're ending this, once and for all." He declared.

There was a chorus of shouts as everyone pulled their hands away.

"I guess we're really doing this..." I stepped back.

"Tomorrow, eh?" Megan spoke up.

"I fear that if we don't act by tomorrow, it will be too late." Janus sighed. "So the boy is right – even if it is a little on short notice, the time to take the fight to Bedlam is upon us."

"This still doesn't feel real..." Shu wiped his glasses.

"Right? If we don't win this..." Victor trailed off.

"Stay positive!" Paolo clenched his fist.

"Kudou and I have been working on something for a while now." Megan stepped up.

Kudou uncrossed his arms and nodded. "A contingency for if it came to this." He said.

"We took the liberty of enlisting the aid of some people to retrieve the Soul Emeralds for us." My sister revealed.

The Soul Emeralds had been integral to defeating Tobi the last time the world had been under threat. The seven gems granted their wielder immense, almost god-like power – but they could also be used for evil in the hands of someone with a dark heart.

"I was about to ask why we hadn't brought those up." Skyra was surprised.

"It only makes sense." Janus nodded. "Our planet is unique in that we have the gems in place for catastrophic events – the one mere years ago, for example. Even with the new powers you all now possess, to go into battle without the Emeralds would be foolish – why not use every available resource we have access to to give us an edge in the battle?"

"So we sent a small group of people out after them a while back." Coach Kudou nodded.

"And, as luck would have it, I got a message just this morning from one of them." Megan smirked. "They just got the seventh one – we've got them all, and they're on their way to us as we speak."

"Perfect." Midorima smiled. "This should improve our chances by a significant margin!"

"The Soul Emeralds can only give power to one person though, right?" Victor thought back to when he had helped us gather them the first time round. He then looked to me. "Right? You had to draw the power out of them all once they had been awakened by the rest of us."

"Uh, yeah..." I nodded, thinking back. "B-but I don't think that means I have to be the one to do it this time." I held up up hands.

"You're right," Janus agreed. "The Soul Emeralds will bestow their power to anyone willing to use them. So you would do well to decide amongst yourselves who-"

"I'll do it." Chloe said, without missing a beat.

"Chloe..." Nelly gasped.

"...Are you sure about this?" Paolo asked her.

"Of course. It has to be me." She nodded firmly, closing her fists.

"It's a lot of responsibility." Skyra added. "A lot would be riding on you."

"You'd be right in the thick of the fight." Gabi was concerned. "Bedlam would definitely have it out for you."

"No pressure." Hikaru frowned.

"I can handle it." Chloe smiled a pained smile. "After all, I... I haven't got much else to lose except my life at this point, so losing wouldn't be the worst thing in the world..."

"...Don't talk like that...!" Nelly stepped past me.

"Huh...?"

"Your life has value! You can't be so easily willing to endanger it...!"

"Nelly..." Chloe's fingers twitched.

"I agree." Zeraora walked up next to her and put his paw on her shoulder. "The responsibility is a big one, but that doesn't mean you should use it to justify your own death. Nobody wants you to die. If you reside yourself to that, then you'll lose before you even begin."

"Exactly." Nelly nodded. "Please, Chloe – think about this. Don't jump into this being willing to die."

"You guys..." Chloe closed her eyes and shook her head. "Dammit... Gah, you sound just like her..."

We all fell silent, though Nelly looked hopeful.

"Chloe..." Paolo said eventually. "You don't have to be the one to do it. I could-"

"No. I'll do it." She reaffirmed, opening her eyes, a more genuinely determined smile across her lips. "But for the right reasons."

Nelly straightened up and smiled, and Zeraora removed his paw from Chloe's shoulder and folded his arms, pleased.

"I'll do it because I want to – because it makes sense. With Zeraora's power, I'm the fastest, and among the strongest too. It has to be me. I'll take the power of the Emeralds and I'll give it everything I've got."

"...Right." Paolo nodded. "We'll be counting on you, then."

"I won't let you down." She said, acknowledging the two who had helped her see straight.

"I suggest everybody does what they need to do today." Megan took our attention once more. "As good as it is to be optimistic, I don't want us to fall under a false sense of security..." She seemed unsure. "No matter what happens tomorrow... Don't leave things left undone today."

She was essentially telling us to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. The outcome of our battle could only end one of two ways – either we eliminated Bedlam once and for all... Or all life on the planet, including us, was done for. She was telling us to prepare for death, though she nor anybody else would dare admit it.

"All right, everyone." Paolo spoke up. "Do what you have to. Train, talk, rest – whatever you feel like you must do." He looked around at us all. "Just know that tomorrow, we're going to war."

*

"I'm gonna go talk to Mum..." Nelly said as we left the meeting room.

"Ok." I nodded.

"I... I'll come find you when I'm done...?"

"Call me..."

"Ok, I will."

She looked into my eyes and smiled. I smiled back, but we both knew that neither of our expressions were genuine. Truthfully, all I wanted to do in that moment was to hold her, but I knew there were things that needed to be done first. She had a look in her eyes that screamed worry and fear, and I couldn't have looked much different. Still, regardless of how much we didn't want to separate in that moment, we did.

She went to speak to her mother, while I decided to call my own.

*

"Are you prepared?" Ho-oh asked as it gently flapped its magnificent wings.

"...As prepared as I could be." Gabi replied, hovering on his own wings of flame just above the base.

"My power is your own, and in turn, you have made me stronger. Naturally, you can fly and control fire, but know that when I resurrected you, that in itself was a gift."

"I'm grateful – it's because of you that I'm not already dead."

"I wouldn't say that." The Rainbow Pokemon smiled. "It was because of your pure heart that I chose to bond with you."

"You know what I meant, though." Gabi said. "Thank you, Ho-oh."

"You are most welcome." It nodded. "Know that, the ability to rise from the ashes is one that you too now possess."

"Me? Do you mean...?"

"Yes – you have the ability to survive even death – but I will warn you now, that power is finite. You should still remain cautious, but you do have a level of resilience beyond normal, even amongst our fellow bonded allies."

"I can die... And come back?" Gabi blinked. He thought doing it just the once was a crazy miracle, but now he was being told that it was a power he now wielded.

"To an extent." The bird looked to the sky.

"...What's the extent...?"

"It may be best if I didn't tell you. I want you to fight on without worry. Though you of all people may have a larger margin for error than the others, I still urge you not to be reckless."

"I... I understand..." The pink-haired Mexican nodded slowly. "I will do my best, Amigo – oh, I mean – Ho-oh."

"Please." The phoenix looked back at him. "I am already your ally. I have no qualms with being your friend, also."

"Aha..." He let out a baffled laugh. "Ok... Thank you, Amigo."

*

"I gotta say, I didn't expect it to come down to this." Hikaru sighed as she stood in the courtyard.

"It isn't an outcome we would have hoped for." Virizion agreed, examining the greenery. "However, as your friend pointed out, we are in a unique position. Our group is perhaps the only means of defence our world has left."

"Yeah... I'm not saying I'm not ready to fight." The blue-haired girl stretched. "It just feels crazy, y'know? I only met you a little while ago – and just before that, I was battling in a tournament. How everything went from that to... This, is pretty nuts. I still don't believe it's all really happening sometimes."

"That is understandable." Virizion nodded. "After all, being thrust into a position where you are among a select few who can protect all life is indeed a surprise. I feel the same."

"You do?" Hikaru turned back.

"Yes." The Grassland Pokemon nodded, her gaze settling on a lone tree. "I can assure you, this all comes as much of a shock to us as it did to you humans. One instance, I knew nothing of my apparently innate ability to communicate and bond with humans, and the next, my memories were unlocked, and all that knowledge poured forth..."

"Oh yeah... Arceus sealed that stuff deep inside you and the others, right?"

"That is what we believe to be the most likely explanation." She nodded. "A secret purpose, revealed to us when the world is in dire need of saving..."

"Well... I don't know about us humans, but..." The tanned surfer patted the creature on the back. "You and the other Pokemon definitely seem up to the task. The power I feel from you guys is insane – if anyone can stop Bedlam, it has to be us now."

"Thank you, but you and your friends should not be disregarded when feeling that strength." Virizion smiled. "After all, our bonding with you has awakened deeper power within us. We would stand no chance had we not met you."

"Eh, well..." Hikaru scratched her head. "I'll just say that I respect the responsibility I've got. And, well, I'll try my best to not let you down."

"Likewise, Hikaru." Virizion nodded.

*

"I'm scared." Shu-ling had his hands clasped together over his shogi board as he sat in his room.

"Shu..." Shaymin stood beside him in his Sky Forme, his red flower giving off a sweet aroma.

"But it's ok." The bespectacled boy looked up. "Even though I'm scared, I'll still fight... I have to."

"You know... Even though you have these powers, I wouldn't force you to fight if you didn't want to." The Gratitude Pokemon said. "And if the others tried to pressure you to, I would stand up for you, so I don't want you to think-"

"Thank you, Shaymin." Shu smiled warmly, gently patting his head. "But I'll be ok... When I said I 'have to', I didn't mean because everyone wants me to, but because there are people I need to protect. I mean, let's face it – before you came along, I would've cowered away for sure, and watched as everyone else fought for me... But now... You've given me the courage to stand up for myself. You helped me to realise what really matters to me."

"No, I..." Shaymin chuckled. "All you needed was a little push in the right direction. But you got to where you are on your own merits. Remember that."

"Thank you." He smiled. "Still though, couldn't have done it without you."

"Don't thank me yet – we still have to win this."

"Well – I think I've come to believe that it's never too early to express your gratitude, you know? I'd rather say it sooner than later."

"I understand." The Pokemon nodded. "In that case, thanks for confiding in me. I'll stand with you no matter what, Shu."

*

"You seem awfully quiet." Terrakion observed Caleb as he lifted dumbbells in the gym.

"Ah... Ah..." The boy with the mohawk slowly lowered the weights and let go, his biceps roaring. "This is... How I clear my head..." He breathed, sitting down heavily on a bench.

"I see. It is productive." The Cavern Pokemon nodded slowly.

"Hey..." Caleb wiped his forehead and looked over at his partner. "Thanks."

"Whatever for?"

"For the powers you've given me." He said. "The hardened body structure in particular. I'd be dead without it." He thought of all the bullets he had managed to withstand thanks to his tougher build, as well as the time he had been struck head-on by a full-force punch from a raging Buzzwole.

"You should thank yourself." Terrakion said. "It is because you maintain your own body so well already that my powers were so easily able to integrate with you. You have a strong base to build from."

"Heh... Sure."

"Moreover... I am impressed by your transformation."

"My... What?" He frowned, leaning forward with a hand on his knee.

"When I first found you, I learnt of your 'rebellious' past."

"...You can see my memories?"

"Not exactly – rather, when I first came into contact with you, I saw flashes of your life. Perhaps it was what helped me to decide that you were the right match for me. At first, I thought you seemed far too much like a delinquent with violent tendencies – but I quickly learnt that that part of you is gone. It was once I saw the change in you that I decided to reach out to you."

"Oh, right. Yeah, I... I used to be a huge asshole." Caleb admitted looking down. "But whatever, that's done with. I don't want to be that guy anymore."

"And I commend you for that. You seek justice, and that is far more noble than chaos."

"...Yeah. Thanks." The boy nodded. "I know you've got high expectations of me – I'll try to live up to them."

"Not expectations, Caleb, but belief. I believe in you." The Pokemon smiled.

"Ha!" He stood, slinging the towel over his shoulder. "Stop - I'll throw up."

*

"You've taken to the sword quite well." Zacian remarked.

"Hah... Thank you..." Victor panted as he straightened up, another set of training dummies slashed apart. He had also been testing out his enhanced strength without the sword, and had burst a couple of footballs as a result.

"You appear to be a fast learner."

"Yes... My brother said the same." The Russian boy wiped his forehead. "Football, Pokemon battles – I picked both of those up pretty quickly."

"It is impressive – not many have a wide range of aptitude."

"I'm nothing special." He shook his head. "Besides, give someone a sword that can cut through anything and I'm sure they'll turn out to be a pretty skilled swordsman."

"You say that, and yet there is far more that goes into the art that simply swinging a blade." The wolf smiled.

"Yeah... Sorry, I wasn't trying to mock you or anything-"

"No harm done. More importantly, how are you faring?"

"Well, like you say, I think I'm getting the hang of it."

"That is good, but I meant how are you faring on the inside?"

"Oh..." Victor mulled over the question for a little bit before turning towards his partner. "Well... Better, I think. Especially now that my voice is back – not being able to speak was like torture..." He shuddered. "Thank you for helping me get it back, by the way."

"No, you broke through that wall on your own – all I did was give you a weapon." Zacian said.

"Either way, I appreciate it. It felt like I could breathe properly for the first time since - ..." He trailed off.

"We will protect this world." The Pokemon nodded firmly. "Not just for the sake of the living, but for those who have fallen victim to Bedlam's plague. I assure that your brother's life was not lived in vain, for he helped to raise you – and you are an integral piece to this battle. Not only that, but your life itself is valuable. So, though we fight together for the same cause, know this: I will protect you in your brother's stead. His will will live on in our drive to win."

"...Yeah... Yes. Absolutely." Victor clenched his fist. "I'm with you, Zacian. I'll give it my all. For the sake of the world, and for myself. For you – and for Volodya."

*

"No matter how hard I think about it, I find myself unable to strategise..." Midorima massaged his temples. "Our foe is unpredictable – its powers seemingly limitless. And yet, I have to think of something – to charge in without a plan at this late stage would be utterly foolish..."

"It is frustrating, isn't it?" Uxie said, floating opposite him. "I, too, cannot seem to find the answers, despite how hard I search. As a being of knowledge, this irks me... Much like how there was knowledge sealed in my head for the longest time, within my being yet beyond my reach all the same..."

"The knowledge that Arceus sealed in you." Midorima nodded slowly. "Yes, I can see how that would be a cause of frustration. To be in the pursuit of knowledge, but to have something so vitally important locked away in your own subconscious..."

"It hardly bears thinking about now, regardless." The pixie shook his head. "I know it now, and that is what matters. Still, I have wondered, ever since this all became known to me – have I...?"

"Have you done this before?" Midorima finished his question.

"Precisely... We know that humans and Pokemon have come together to protect the world before, thousands, even millions of years in the past. But have I ever done this before...? Was I one of the guardians spoken of in the fable...?"

"Hm..." Midorima imagined Uxie and the other Pokemon partnering with humans during the war some 3,000 years ago, as well as at the dawn of early man. "You think that, if you did, those memories were also sealed away, if not erased completely?"

"Perhaps..." Uxie looked up. "In all honesty, I do not even know how long I have lived. It is entirely possible that if a Uxie was present in those events, it wasn't me at all. It could have been a predecessor of mine. Still... The circumstances around this all fascinates me."

"It is intriguing indeed..." Midorima agreed. "Tell me, do you believe it possible for a Pokemon to bond with Arceus itself?"

"With Arceus?" The Knowledge Pokemon was surprised by the question. "My friend, I often find myself wondering the same thing... One would assume that if Arceus were to walk among us, this conflict would be over in an instant..."

"Then... There must be a reason why it hasn't gotten directly involved."

"Yes... Perhaps it is a precaution. Should we fail to defeat this evil, and all life is razed from the Earth... Perhaps Arceus intends to remain in its realm, to start the cycle of life anew once more after our foe moves on. Another answer could be that Arceus too fears the strength of our enemy... After all, if a being such as Arceus were to fall at its hands, there is no telling what manner of unhealthy impacts it will have on our reality. I would wager the outcome would be none too positive."

"Arceus, afraid...? That is a frightening sentiment..." Midorima shuddered.

"Do not let me discourage you – I am merely theorising." Uxie shook his head. "For all we know, Arceus may believe that the strength we possess is adequate enough to be victorious. Then again, it may still appear to us to save us at the last moment. Or, perhaps it is still searching for a compatible human partner."

"To bond with such a god would have to take someone exceptionally special." The green-haired boy pushed up his glasses.

"Indeed. But we cannot rely on such a fate – we must plan as if the battle is in our own hands."

"Yes – I agree. Shall we put our heads together and try to devise a strategy once more?"

"Yes, let's." Uxie nodded.

*

"It can really stop anything?" Rebekah marvelled.

"Yes, the shield is impenetrable." Zamazenta nodded.

"Can you know that for certain, though...?" Skyra wondered as he examined the equipment. "What if Bedlam has something that can break through?"

"I'm sure I don't need to remind you about what happened just the other day – you took a full-powered blast head-on with my shield." The Pokemon stood proudly. "Did that attack get through?"

"No..."

"And we have every right to believe that that attack came from Bedlam itself – therefore, I stand by my assertion that the shield can block anything."

"Fair." Skyra nodded. "Sorry, I was just a little paranoid."

"It's ok, I know you'll be great at using it." Rebekah encouraged him. "I mean, you do a great job of protecting me, even without a shield, and now you've got the strongest shield in the world. I know you can protect everyone."

"Everyone...? I wouldn't put that much faith in me."

"No, her faith is not misplaced." Zamazenta smiled. "I, too, believe that you can protect everyone. Our allies, as well as civilians. No matter where our battle takes us, I know your instinct to protect won't dull."

"Rebekah... I can protect you, but I'm not so sure I'm so noble that I would jump in to protect people I don't even know..."

"I don't believe that for a second." She laughed. "Remember back on Liocott Island, in the stadium? When Bedlam first attacked and killed all those people..." She paused for a moment. "You jumped up into the stands to try and save me. Not only that, but you saved a dozen more people by leading them into that bubbly shield thing you had – plus, you saved those little kids, remember? You didn't have to do that – you could have come straight to me, but you did it anyway."

Skyra thought back to when he had helped Sol carry his younger siblings to safety. They had made it just in time.

"Well..."

"And don't even tell me that you only did it because they were already on the way to the safe zone." Rebekah shook her head. "I know that you would've tried to help even if they were a few rows up or down."

"...You really think a lot of me, huh?" Skyra sighed.

"At least this affirms that I was right to choose you." Zamazenta said. "I knew you had the instinct to protect those weaker than yourself."

"Yep! Just like when you stood up for that Russian boy, Victor, remember? You fought that crazy guy in the mask all on your own!" Rebekah was referring to when Skyra had single-handedly dispatched of the lunatic swordsman Blayde – the cruel uncle of Victor and Vladimir who had blackmailed the younger sibling into being an enemy to us for a time. Skyra had shown no mercy to the vile cretin, and returned the money that he was keeping from Victor so that his brother's surgery could finally be paid for.

"You did all that as just a normal guy, with no invincible shield." Rebekah said. "But that's just it – you aren't just some normal guy. At least, not to me. You're special – you're strong. That's how I know you'll use this thing for the good of everyone." She placed her hand gently on the front of the shield.

"You're not scared...?" Skyra asked.

"Not as much as I thought I'd be – must be because of you." She smiled.

"Rebekah..."

"We won't lose." Zamazenta said firmly. "As long as we draw breath, we will stand back up until this menace is purged."

"Yeah." Skyra nodded. "I'll do it. I'll protect as many people as I can..." He looked down at his shield and smiled. "And we will win this. No matter what."

*

"Poppy..." Kudou spoke softly. He was kneeling down beside his daughter's hospital bed. Kai was also in the room, leaning by the wall, her Abra sitting patiently in the air. She had teleported Kudou to the hospital so that he could see his daughter one more time before everything got too crazy. While she was there, she took the liberty of deploying new shields around the little girl.

Poppy herself was still locked in her coma, her sweet little face in some form of forced peace. The girl had had years of her childhood stolen from her. She had been 7 when the accident had happened. Now she was approaching 15.

As her father, Percival Kudou had no idea how to cope with that reality. His little girl was still in there, but her body was maturing without her. If she ever woke, her mental and emotional development would be severely behind. More than anything, he worried how it would affect her – if it would be too much for her to handle. Even so, Kudou had long since told himself that, no matter what, whenever Poppy would finally open her eyes again, he would never leave her side. Not until she had become accustomed to the world, seven years on.

Just thinking about it made him angry and upset. Seven whole years. Half of her life had been spent in this coma. Every single night he wished it could have been him instead of her. She had so much of her life ahead of her – so much to do, and so much to give.

"It's me. Daddy's here..." He whispered, gently running his hand through her dark violet hair. His daughter remained motionless, the tubes sticking into her a constant reminder that she was confined to this space indefinitely. The wound on her head that caused this healed and faded a while ago, but the damage was long-lasting.

"Listen, Honey... Something scary is coming. But Daddy's here. I'm going to keep you safe, no matter what... I won't ever let anything else hurt you, I promise..." He squeezed her lifeless hand, her cold skin alien to his warmth. "Oh, Poppy..." He gritted his teeth.

"..." Kai stood up from her reclined position and walked over. Being in the same place where Alfred had met his end was unsettling to her. She gently placed her hand on the man's shoulder. "Have you decided?"

"Yes..." Kudou sniffed. "I... I have to stay here, with her..."

"I see..." Kai looked at the little girl. It sent a pang of sorrow through her heart. "We'll come and check on you once the fighting is over."

"Thank you..."

Kai stepped back. Kudou was going to spend the night here with his daughter, and remain there throughout the entirety of the incoming conflict. He had chosen to do so because he wanted to be there with his daughter if we couldn't win. That way, if he had to die along with the rest of the world, he would be with his little girl.

"Take care." Kai said, nodding to her Abra, who came over.

"Tell everyone that I'm sorry - for being a bad coach..." Kudou swallowed. "And that I wish them the best of luck..."

"...Understood." Kai left the man with his daughter as she and her Pokemon teleported away.

Kudou slowly stood up and sat in the chair by the bedside, leaning forward.

"I love you." He whispered, gently brushing the girl's hair to one side and kissing her forehead.

*

"All set?" Kiria asked.

"I feel like I should be asking you that." Meloetta replied.

"Me? Yeah, I'm ready."

"You seem confident." The Melody Pokemon tilted her head. "Aren't you scared?"

"Terrified." Kiria admitted, though her expression remained cool as ever. "But in my line of work, if you let the fear win, you're dead before you deploy."

"I see... Well, for what it's worth, I'm proud of you."

"Proud?"

"Yes." The little creature smiled. "You've accepted yourself for who you are. You combined the best aspects of your current and past self to become one great Kiria."

"Thanks, but if you hadn't come along, the singer in me would have stayed dead." The agent crossed her arms. "I can't take the credit."

"That's not true." Meloetta shook her head. "You made the decision to accept who you are. All I did was remind you."

"I hope you do your vocal warm-ups tomorrow." Kiria smirked. "We're going to sing like our lives depend on it."

"Of course." She nodded. "As always, I'll follow your lead."

"Kiria."

"Hm? Oh, hey." The two turned around as Kai came closer.

"Are you ready?" The sniper asked.

"Yeah. You?"

"Yeah."

"I take it you'll be the one teleporting us to wherever Bedlam shows up next?"

"That's the plan." Kai nodded.

"Then what?"

"I haven't decided... Part of me wants to be there, fighting alongside you, but then... I know I'm not much use on my own."

"I wouldn't say that. You're pretty valuable." Kiria said.

"We both know that my guns won't do anything to Bedlam."

"True... Though, you've got that new shield-shooting rifle, yeah? That's definitely useful. Although..."

"Ever since it tore through our shield the other night like it was a sheet of paper, I don't think they're worth that much." Kai sighed.

"Then stay back here with the others who aren't fighting." Kiria looked around. "You and Megan need to make sure everyone stays safe. If there's an emergency, I hope I can count on you to take care of things."

"That goes without question." Kai folded her arms. "When it comes it rational thinking in a crisis, I always had that edge over you."

"Ouch." Kiria chuckled.

"But you've got your own strengths, and I expect you to use them." Kai smirked. "If you die out there, I'll kill you."

"Heh. I'll keep that in mind."

*

"Be careful." My mother said.

"I'll try." I replied. "Is it safe for everyone where you are?"

"Megan's branch is part of this place, don't forget. We're well equipped to deal with things like this."

"But Bedlam... It's a lot stronger than that."

"I know, Megan told me... Still, don't worry about us. Just focus on doing your best tomorrow. It's up to you and your friends, now. We can't do much at this point, but... Know that we'll be supporting you all the way."

"Thanks... Oh, is Bonnie around? I should probably talk to her too." I asked.

"Oh, no, sorry, she's actually out on a job for me at the moment. I'll get her to call you."

"Oh, ok." I didn't want to go into this without speaking to my family beforehand – just in case.

"All right, good luck Honey. Love you."

"Love you too."

I hung up and put my phone in my pocket.

"Toby."

"Dad?" I turned round to see Darragh.

"How're you holding up?" He asked.

"Uh, well... I'm scared." I admitted.

"That's to be expected... To tell you the truth, I'm terrified." Nelly's father adjusted his glasses. "All of this just... Escalated so quickly. I had honestly hoped that we might have been able to solve this sooner, but... It looks like we've waited too long to make our move."

"W-we could still win, though..." I said, hoping I was right.

"Yes, of course. I know. I know..." He tried to smile. "It's just... After seeing all the chaos this monster has caused... It still doesn't feel real."

"Yeah..." I looked down. He was right. Back when Tobi had been our biggest threat, it had been a more personal conflict, so keeping up with it was easier. But now, Bedlam was a much bigger entity – a force larger in scope than a single person, even if it was in fact one lone invader. It hadn't stuck around us, either – it had gone across the globe to wipe out life. In reality, we had only come across it so often because we had sought it out, most of the time. It had still tried to take us down though, probably because it felt that we could be a threat. I could only hope that it would come to regret not taking care of us when it had the chance.

"But listen, you've got Azelf now – you can do something about this." Darragh reached out and put his hands on my shoulders.

"I..."

"I know it isn't fair, to place such a burden on you kids..." Darragh sighed. "Millions of people out there – billions – don't even know who any of you are. And yet, you're the only ones who might be able to save them..."

"I don't think I'm meant to be one of those people..." I breathed. "I'm not the same person who took on Tobi back then."

"No... You're not." Darragh straightened up.

"Oh..."

"I knew it. People don't have faith in me..."

He stepped closer, and suddenly his arms were wrapped around me.

"You've grown since then. You're getting better now than you were." He told me.

"But I... I'm not that strong..."

"Maybe not in terms of raw strength. But in your heart and mind, you definitely are. And if nothing else, you should be proud of that. I know you're scared – everyone is. But don't let that make you forget that you're a strong young man – much stronger than you ever were when Tobi was around."

"...You... You're just saying that..." I swallowed.

"I believe it." He stood up straight. "If you're one of the people who have bonded with a legendary Pokemon, then I have faith. I've seen you at your strongest, and I know that you won't back down when it matters."

"He does have faith in me..." My eyes widened. "But me, taking a stand? It all feels like such a distant memory – I don't know if I can do it again..."

"Thank you..." I said. "I... I'll try my best."

"That's all we can ask for." Darragh smiled. "I love you, Son."

"I love you, Dad." I felt warm inside. "Oh, um, have you seen Nelly?"

"She went to see Alexis." He said. "I'm not sure if she's still there or not, but Alexis was in our room last I checked."

"Ok, thank you." I nodded.

*

"Pensive?" Zeraora stood beside Chloe, who was sat on a step outside.

"Eh, not really." She looked up at him, before returning her gaze to the trees in the distance. "I'm just sitting, looking at the trees."

"I see. Mind if I join you?"

"Be my guest."

The Thunderclap Pokemon eased himself down and sat beside his human partner. They sat in silence for a few minutes, before he turned to her.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Hm? I don't... Really feel a lot of anything, right now." Chloe replied. "Maybe a little... Numb?"

"You're not scared?"

"...I must be, deep down. But right now, I don't feel it. Maybe I've already come to terms with it all. I dunno when that happened, though. Everything's been a blur recently. What about you?"

Zeraora watched the sky begin to turn orange as the Sun set in the distance. "I feel... Similarly. I know that the scale of the conflict that waits for us immense, and that the probability of victory could be stacked against us, and yet... My fear seems abated, recently. I don't want to die, and yet, the prospect of it hasn't really crossed my mind, considering how imminent it may be."

"Sounds like you're confident that we'll win, then." Chloe joked.

"Perhaps." He chuckled.

"Hey, a laugh!" She smirked.

"Hm?"

"I got you to crack. I thought you'd never laugh."

"Oh? I wasn't trying to be stoic. Maybe you're just not that funny." He said blankly.

The two turned to look at each other, and for a moment, Chloe looked slightly offended, before Zeraora smiled and she started laughing.

"Was that supposed to be a joke?" She snickered.

"Did it get you?" He asked.

"Yeah, yeah." She sighed happily.

"That's better." Zeraora nodded.

"Y'know, I've been wondering – you and the other Pokemon... How do you see us humans? I mean, it's just a convenient relationship, right? We benefit from each other's strengths."

"I can't speak for others, but I wouldn't say our relationship is one merely forged for convenience." Zeraora shook his head. "I for one, quite enjoy your company."

"Huh... So you're not just saying that?"

"No. While it's true that we're working together because the fate of our world relies on our bonds, that doesn't mean I see you as disposable. It's not like I'm going to just carry out my duty and disappear. I'd actually quite like to become your friend when this is over." He said. "It's been fun having someone to train with and talk to."

"What do you mean, 'become' friends?" Chloe laughed. "We're already friends."

"We... We are?"

"Duh!" She reached out and patted his back. "No idiot voluntarily sits and stares at trees with someone unless they're a friend."

"I think I understand." He nodded, patting her on the back. "Then, I'm counting on you, Friend."

"I've got your back if you've got mine." Chloe held her fist out and Zeraora met the gesture, sparks flying from the fist bump.

*

I knocked on the door and slowly opened it. Alexis was sat in her room, with Maruki playing with some toys on the floor.

"Hello." I said as I stepped in.

"Toby." She smiled.

"Hello!" Maruki waved, oblivious to everything that was happening.

"Hey." I smiled and waved back at him.

"What's up?"

"Did Nelly come and see you?"

"Yes, Snowflake left a few minutes ago. She was going to find Darragh."

"Oh..." I realised I must have somehow just missed her. "Ok, thank you."

"How are you, anyway?" Alexis asked.

I told her everything I had told Darragh, whilst also relaying what he had said.

"Of course... Everyone's scared. It's ok though, there's nothing wrong with that."

"But... I'm one of the ones who has to fight tomorrow..." I clenched my fists. "I can't be afraid... I-I'll mess it up if I am..."

"Hey, don't try and lock it up." She stood up and made her way over. "You know how dangerous it can be to keep things inside."

"Yeah..." I sniffed.

"I'm proud of you." She said, hugging me. "You've come a long way."

"I just want this to be over..." I buried my head in her shoulder.

"I know, I know..." She stroked my head gently. "Everything will be ok. I promise."

The words of this mortal woman who couldn't possibly know anything about what was to come shouldn't really have filled me with confidence – but they did. Something in the way she said it, with such warmth and genuine care made me think for the first time that we would all be ok.

"Mum..." I shuddered. "I love you."

"I love you too." She kissed the top of my head.

"I love you!" Maruki's voice came from below as he got up and hugged my leg.

"Haha, I love you too, Maruki." I patted my little brother's head.

We let go of each other and I thought of something else. "Oh, yeah... Mum – tomorrow, will you..."

"I'll make sure she's safe." She nodded. "I promise."

"Thank you. And I... I promise that I'll do my best." I said.

"That's my boy." She beamed.

*

"You've taken to your role rather quickly." Cobalion remarked.

"Well, in a way, I feel like I was meant to lead." Paolo said. "Not that I ever volunteer for it. I just seem to fall into it. I don't mind too much, though. If people feel more confident with me around, then that's enough."

"Well said. Still, you mustn't burden yourself with responsibility. In this fight, everyone fights together, for each other." The Iron Will Pokemon looked at his human counterpart.

"Yes. I'm the same, on and off the battlefield. Just another person fighting to sustain life. I won't hold back."

"Good. You understand. The sword I have bestowed upon you is your weapon to pursue justice – the truest form of which is protecting innocent life. I will stand by you until the end, my friend."

"Grazie. I appreciate it." Paolo grinned.

"Paolo – our guests have arrived." Megan appeared from round the corner.

"Ah."

He and Cobalion followed her to the main reception, where seven visitors had all arrived together. Each of them had a Soul Emerald in their hands.

The contingency plan was now possible.

"Thank you, everyone. This is extremely helpful." Megan smiled.

"Grazie mille." Paolo agreed.

"Yeah, well, it was the least we could do, what with our whole lives being at stake and all."

The response came from Ray Rider, the young model from Kalos. He was joined by his friend Penelope Kula, who had lost her beloved boyfriend Ix on the day that Bedlam first attacked. Both were once members of Japan's team in the World Tournament.

"Anything to take that thing down." She nodded.

"Hopefully this helps." Sol held his gem close.

"You guys are our only hope." Bonnie said.

Sol was also a former member of Japan's squad, eager to lend a hand, while Bonnie was Megan's youngest sibling.

The final three Soul Emeralds were held by three girls of esteemed lineage.

Aquilina, the Miracle Child with flowing blue hair and golden eyes, held her jewel tightly.

"I'm glad we made it in time." She sighed with relief.

"It wasn't easy tracking them down, but we got 'em in the end, eh, Sis?"

Acerola beamed.

"Yes, it was no simple task, but thankfully we all managed to succeed." Her older sister, Princess Alicia of Alola, smiled.

"Oh, they're here!" Jordan exclaimed as he and Xene came into the room.

"Aquilina...!" Xene was happily surprised.

"Xene!" The girl grinned.

"All right, everyone, great job." Megan nodded. "Jordan, fetch Chloe, please."

"Right away!" He quickly turned and disappeared.

"We've acquired a second source of power." Cobalion commented. "Let us use it well so it is not squandered."

"Mm." Paolo agreed. "We stand a better chance now."

*

I got back to our room and opened the door, stepping inside to find that Nelly was already back.

She was stood by an open drawer, and upon seeing me, she left it and leapt into my arms.

"Whoa-!" I caught her and kicked the door shut behind me. "You ok?"

She looked up at me and pulled me in for a kiss. "Yeah..." She said afterwards. "Yeah. I just... I don't know..."

"Tomorrow..." I started, but trailed off quickly when I caught her eye. It was plainly obvious that neither of us knew what to say. We were possibly facing a reality where we wouldn't live beyond the next day. And for everyone's pleasantries, very little was going to be able to distract us from that fact. We knew that we should be reassuring each other, but it was difficult. I didn't want to lie and tell her that everything was going to be ok, because I honestly had no idea. I wagered that she felt the same.

"What about it...?" She said eventually, letting me go and straightening up.

"Uh... Right. I think it would be best if you stay here." I suggested.

"You want me to stay behind?" She seemed a little hurt. "But I..."

"Nelly, please." I begged. In the past, whenever I had urged her to stay behind before a fight, she had always talked me into changing my mind – but this time it was too dangerous. I couldn't let her win this one.

"I..."

"If you're here, where Bedlam isn't, then you're safe..." I told her. "While we fight it, it can't come and get you. If you come with us, then you'll be in danger."

"..." Nelly looked at the floor for a moment.

"Trust me, I would love to have you beside me, so I know that you're safe with my own eyes, but..." I reached out and touched her cheek. "I can't risk that. I can't risk losing you."

"But I risk losing you." She looked up. "I can't..."

"I... I know... But... We just have to trust in Azelf." I smiled weakly. "He'll protect me. But the only way I can protect you is by keeping you far, far away from that monster."

"You sound so sure... Even though you're scared." She reached up and held my wrist.

"Believe me, I wish I was sure of anything..." I sighed. "But I have faith in Azelf – he's reliable. Plus, our friends will be there, and everyone will look out for each other..." I was trying to justify it to myself at the same time. "Their partners are strong too – they won't let anyone die..." I hoped.

"...All right." She conceded. "I'll stay here."

"Thank you..." I breathed, feeling like I hadn't drawn a breath in ages.

"But no matter what you say, I won't stop worrying..."

"...Neither will I."

"You know I believe in you." She said. "I always have. So, I know that you and everyone can do this." She smiled. "But still, I... It doesn't stop my heart from beating this fast..." She took her hand off of mine and felt her chest. "It doesn't stop this being so scary..."

She was right. There wasn't a single thing I possibly could have said to her to make the fear go away. But at the very least, I had to try and take her mind – and hopefully my own - off of it.

So I stepped closer to her and took her hands in mine, before slowly beginning to move my feet.

"Toby...?"

"Dance with me." I said.

"Oh... Ok..." She started moving her feet with mine.

We had no music, and there was relatively little sound, save for our feet moving over the carpet, but it didn't matter. I didn't need to follow a beat to lose myself in the moment.

Nelly slowly laid her head on my chest as we gently swayed from side-to-side, and I put a hand on her waist.

I did my best to try and shut everything out. The stress, the fear, the pressure – all of it. I didn't want to feel any of it. All I wanted to feel was her.

Perhaps I relaxed a little too much, though, because after a minute or two, I stepped back too far and bumped into the open drawer, pushing it shut with a smack and staggering back a pace.

"O-oops, sorry." I laughed nervously.

"Haha." Nelly giggled. "It's ok. Are you hurt?"

"Nah, I'm ok." I stood us up straight once more and kept moving slowly, away from the wall. She settled back into my chest as we silently shuffled across the room. Eventually, we came to a stop and I rested my head against the top of hers, her dark brown hair filling my vision as her unique smell made me feel at peace. It brought with it a sense of calm and ease, as well as nostalgia.

Despite that, I found myself looking forward instead of back, to the life that I hoped wasn't going to be a dream that died tomorrow.

I imagined the two of us dancing, much like we had been a moment ago, but in my mind I was wearing a suit, and she wore a wonderful white dress. There was music and an audience, but none of that was clear in my mind – their bodies were blurs on the edges of my screen. Nelly's face was the only clear image as I looked down at her – at her gorgeous eyes and infectious smile.

My mind kept creating pleasant images, as I saw a cosy little house in a beautiful area. It was quiet and peaceful. We were sat together on a sofa, curled up close by a fireplace. I had never seen this house before, but just the thought of it was warm and homely.

And then another flash forward. I thought of the possibility of this quaint little house being populated by more than just the two of us. The sound of happy giggles and little feet running up and down, and the sight of a baby bottle sat up on the table, half-empty. Nelly was sitting beside me, a blanket wrapped up in her arms. She was looking down at it lovingly, and I could just about make out the tiniest, most precious little face, lost in peaceful slumber.

Back in reality, Nelly lifted her head and I did the same, the daydream fading out so I could see her face for real.

Without a word, she reached up and gently ran her thumb across my cheek, wiping away the tears that I hadn't even been aware of. I don't know what she saw when she looked at me in that moment, but her eyes were sparkling brighter than they usually did.

There were so many things I wanted to say to her then – so many things that I didn't even have the words to portray. So instead of ruining the moment by tripping over myself, I ever so gently lifted her chin and leant in. Her eyes fluttered shut as she met me in the middle, her fingers lovingly lost in my hair.

I tried not to think of anything. All I wanted was the sensation of her. And yet, my mind went back to a night years ago, where the two of us had stood opposite each other as nothing more than children. That one night in Almia, where a scared boy confessed his love for the prettiest girl he had ever seen. It hadn't been the catalyst, but it had been a pivotal moment – one that I often thought about from time to time. I still remembered the chaotic clash of thunder that tore through my chest, and the bursting fireworks in my head when she had kissed me for the very first time. Back then, it was the craziest thing I'd ever felt.

And now, as I kissed her in this moment, I felt a profound difference. My heart was still pounding, but it wasn't a nervous or excited kind of beat. It was steady – calm, even. The fireworks – there weren't as many now. There wasn't a mass of chaotic explosions. Rather, the ones that there were were larger individually, and they exploded into distinct shapes instead of messy lights.

Her kiss was my peace – the reason for my heartbeat and the match that lit the fuse in my soul. Where once she had made me nervous the closer she had got, now she was the only thing that seemed to clam me down.

Since that first kiss, we had changed as people. We had grown, physically and mentally. We had matured and experienced more hardships and sorrow, but also more joy. And we had done it all together, every step of the way.

For all that had changed over time, a lot still stayed the same. She still slept with her head on my chest every night, and I still kissed her forehead every morning. I still couldn't find the words to tell her how much she meant to me, and she still blushed and giggled every time I tried. I still comforted her during storms, and she still held me close when I was upset. We still held hands when we walked down the street together, and she still looked at me the same way she always had.

And I still loved her more than anything in the world.

Nelly's lips left mine and I opened my eyes slowly. She was looking right at me, and though she looked like she wanted to say something, she changed her mind and pulled my face back in instead, kissing me again. I reached up and held her left hand in my right, feeling the ring on her finger cold against my skin.

"I..." She breathed, pressing her forehead against mine. "I know I say it a lot, but... I love you."

I watched her lips as she spoke, captivated by every little movement in her face. "I love you too." I nuzzled the tip of my nose against hers. "I love you so much..." I squeezed her hand.

"Aheh..." She giggled, squeezing back. "Hey... Can I... Ask you to do something?"

"Anything."

"Please... Stay with me for the rest of today... Ok...?" She whispered. Her eyes were dancing around my face as she waited for my response.

"...I will." I said. "I won't leave your side."

"Thank you..." She smiled, pulling me in to kiss me again.

*

That night, I lay there in the dark, with Nelly in my arms, closer than ever. With the covers pulled up to her chin, she looked so peaceful in her sleep. She had always been the one who fell asleep first, but I didn't mind. Especially now. I was grateful that she was able to drift off, and didn't have to worry anymore.

As I felt her shallow breathing against my chest and her soft hair between my fingers, I prayed that tomorrow wouldn't be the end. I prayed that everything would turn out ok, somehow. Because I didn't want everything to come crumbling down.

"Azelf..." I whispered.

The Willpower Pokemon appeared from the ether.

"What's wrong?" He whispered back, seeing that Nelly was fast asleep.

"Will we be able to win...?"

"I hope so..."

"...Hey, um... I'm sorry I didn't invite you to lay at the end of the bed tonight." I apologised. "I just... I was thinking about a lot stuff and I forgot."

"What? No, I don't mind. I wanted to give you two space anyway."

"Oh... Thanks, then. Speaking of, you can sleep here now if you want."

"Well... I do like it. Are you sure you don't mind?" He asked.

"Of course not, go ahead."

"Mm..." He hesitated. "Sorry, that answer I gave you before – that wasn't very reassuring, huh?"

"It's ok. I didn't really expect you to come out and say that we'd win for definite."

"Still... Let me change my answer. I believe we can win. It... Might not be easy, but we can do it." Azelf nodded.

"Ha... Thanks, Azelf." I smiled.

"I wanted to ask – what about Nelly?"

"She's gonna stay behind."

"Ah. Well, that's probably for the best..." He seemed unsure.

"What is it...?"

"Well... It's just that, if she isn't with us, I can't protect her. And I know you love her, so..."

"Azelf... That's sweet of you." I said. "But if we keep Bedlam occupied, then... Hopefully it won't get a chance to attack anyone else once we find it. I'm... Kind of banking on us taking it out."

"Yes... I suppose." The blue pixie nodded. "Still... I worry. I wish I could keep her safe too – she is my friend too after all."

"The fact that you care is admirable." I replied. "I'm glad you like her – really, I am."

"Of course – she's so kind." He smiled. "And you, too. I really do like you."

"I like you too, Azelf. And I'll do my best tomorrow... For her."

"Right. Good night, Toby."

"Good night."

The Pokemon gently floated down to the bottom of the bed and curled up.

"Mmm..." Nelly breathed as she shifted in her sleep.

"Nuh-night, Nelly." I whispered, rolling back over and holding her close. Then, albeit a little reluctantly, I closed my eyes and tried to sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206K 3.1K 40
Amourshipping Story - (AshxSerena) Ash begins his training for the World Coronation Series Tournament. The winner of that tournament gets the honor...
23.5K 403 28
My day was normal. Until my teacher turned into a demon, some scary, over-sized dogs attacked me, and I met Bad Boy Supreme. Getting torn apart from...
50.2K 768 40
If Leon vs. Alain, or the Tournament in the anime is not your cup of tea, why not read another version of the Masters 8? The story continues from Pok...
196 66 6
A celebration of all 4 stories known as "The Mega Bond". Each story has reached over 1,000 reads. As a thank you to all readers, this is, "The Mega B...