The Moving Castle: Howl's Mov...

By JustHowItGoes

Hidden in the Waste, Howl's moving castle roams, powered by the very powerful fire-demon Calcifer. Delacy was... More

Prologue: Part 1
Prologue: Part 2
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
NEW STORY

Chapter 5

3.9K 130 9
By JustHowItGoes

When the next morning came rolling in, Sophie was downstairs smoothing out the dress that Howl had used his magic to make prettier. Markl was standing next to Calcifer as they both watched Sophie and Howl. With her back turned away from Howl, Sophie plopped her hat on her head.

"Are you really going to wear that hat, after all the magic I used to make your dress look pretty?" Questioned Howl, who had a large brown blanket over him, while wearing red slippers.

"Hm!" Sophie grunted as she pulled her hat down more.

They were all waiting on Delacy who hadn't left her room. But when Delacy finally did make her way down the stairs, many mouths in the room dropped. Wearing the finest dress she owned, it was a beautiful dress, that most expensive dress Howl had ever purchased for her. Starting off at the shoulders as dark blue that almost rivalled the night sky, but as it went down the body it slowly became lighter until it stopped at a star-light sliver. It was a choker style dress, with ruffled edges on the neckline, the shoulders had Padden and puffed from the shoulders to her biceps, but became skin-tight from her elbows all the way to her wrists. The chest pieced was designed into a half-diamond shape with many little crystals embedded into the material, making it actually look like the night sky. It pulled in at the waist, giving Delacy a much fuller figure. On either side of her hips, were ruffled pieces of fabric, giving volume to her hips and enhancing the shape of her bottom. When it came to her feet, the dress pulled up in the middle, showing the brown leather boots she wore underneath.

Her makeup was much heavier done than what she would usually wear. But it wasn't terrible, it was done in a way that enhanced her features wonderfully. Her lips were painted a rosy pink, her cheeks were highlighted a nice rosy pink colour too. Her brows were filled in and the shape of them was more defined and sharper. Her eye-makeup was simple, the only thing done was that she drew a wing and coated her lashes with more mascara than normal and it made her pale blue eyes stand out. Never had her pale eyes look this beautiful, it reminded Howl of the rare luna flower that would only bloom once every full moon. Even her waist-long hair was styled differently, been braided on the side and tied at the end with a simple pink bow.

In her hand was a beautiful wide-brim bowler hat, with the same colour pink ribbon tied around the band of the hat. Many fake pink roses, with little green leaves, were sewed into the hat, some were cascading off the right side of the hat, covering Delacy's right eye tastefully. Slipping the hat onto her head, Delacy looked at everyone with a raised brow.

"What?" She questioned them. "Is something the matter? Do I look ridiculous?"

"No," Coaked Howl as he stepped forward taking her hand as he led her to where Sophie was standing. "You - you look beautiful."

And Howl wasn't lying, for the first time in five years, Howl loved how her white hair and pale blue eyes looked on her, because for five years, Howl only saw them and her deteriorating health as a constant reminder of what he had done to her and how he was powerless in reversing the curse he had given her. But today, they were the sign of reliance and power, and that was beautiful to Howell Jenkins Pendragon.

Blushing red, Delacy looked at the ground, she was thankful that her foundation was caked because if it wasn't, Howl would've seen the bright red tomato hue that was on her face and neck. Looking up she smiled a shy smile at him, a smile of his own worked on his face. And so the two adults stared at each, both wearing their own charming smiles.

"Called it!" Calcifer spoke with a smirk, which caught the eye of both Markl and Sophie, who gave the fire-demon a questionably look. "Oh, come one! Don't tell me you haven't felt or seen the chemistry between the two? Markl!" Turning back to the couple, who had pulled away after hearing Calcifer's words, wearing blushes of their own, Delacy moved towards the front door with Sophie. "Oh, don't stop because of me! Continue!"

"Be quiet, you twit!" Snarled Howl, flicking some water at him, causing Calcifer to scream and hide behind a log.

"Take care of him, Markl," Sophie ordered, rolling her eyes at Howl. Markl who as well was ignoring the two as he nodded his head.

Rolling her eyes at the now bickering fools, Delacy reached for the doorknob, but she was stopped when Howl closed the door from behind her. Grasping her cold hand, in his warm hand. Howl took off the ring that he had given her but slipped it back on her wedding finger.

"To make it seem more authentic," He smiled and he whispered in her ear, causing another wave of red to take over her. Turning to Sophie, Howl picked up her hand and slid one of his rings onto her index finger. "This charm will guarantee your safe return, " Turning to Delacy again he smiled. "Both of you. Don't worry, I'll follow behind you in disguise." Opening the door, he ushered the two women out. "Now, off you go!"

*****

Once the two women were on the streets of Kingsbury, Howl slammed the door behind them. While Delacy watched the door slammed shut, Sophie looked down at the ring that Howl had slipped on.

"Why do I feel that this is not going to work?" Sophie spoke more to herself than to Delacy.

"Because it probably won't work. Suliman isn't a stupid woman, she'll see through this charade in a matter of seconds!" Delacy announced while throwing her hands in the air.

But nonetheless, the two began to walk to the palace. Looking over the city that Delacy hadn't been in since five years ago. Nothing had changed much, maybe a new building, a new store or two. Looking over to Sophie, who was quiet as she stared at the noisy crows that were sitting on a building's window sill.

"I wonder what Howl has disguised himself as. Surely, not a crow." Spoke Sophie, as she stared at the crows that she passed. When the two walked through the town square, Sophie looked at the bronze statue and the pigeons that were sitting on it. "Can't be a pigeon, he's too flamboyant!"

But when a small plane flew over the statue causing the flock of pigeons to fly away, a male soldier was driving while a laughing woman was standing behind him with her dress flying behind her.

"That could be him." Facepalmed Sophie.

"He truly is shameless..." Replied Delacy, as she facepalmed with a growl. The little green-bug making an appearance again.

Finally, they came to the gates of Kingsbury palace, when Sophie saw how far they had to go, she stopped for a moment. "Look at how far we still have to go." She spoke, gaping at the sight in front of her.

"It's okay, we can do it, Soph." Delacy huffed, fanning herself with a fan she brought with her, she glared at the men that looked at her. She was making a habit of fanning herself with her left hand, showing the ring Howl had given her. But that didn't deter some men. As they tracked down towards the Palace, Delacy looked down to her feet when she heard a small cough. Looking at the small dog, Delacy widens her eyes before she rolled them in annoyance. "Howl!"

Hearing the man's name, Sophie too looked down at Delacy's feet to see the small dog. "Howl?" She asked looking at the dog. "You disguise yourself as an old dog?"

The dog coughed in reply, and Delacy quirked an eyebrow as she looks at Sophie with a teasing smile. "Well, it's a good disguise. Because I wouldn't think the fool would change himself into some mangy old dog!" Sophie chuckled when Delacy said this.

"Err! Couldn't you think of disguising yourself into something more useful, do you know how hard it is to do things when you're old!" Scolded Sophie, but her attention was soon grabbed by a carriage that was being carried by two enchanted goons.

"Well, look who it is!" Greeted the Witch of the Waste as she leaned out of the window of her carriage. This grabbed Delacy's attention who was too busy staring at dog form Howl. "The tacky little girl from the hat shop!"

"Witch of the Waste" Sophie snarled with glaring eyes, but she averted them, not being able to stand the sight of the witch.

"Thank you, for handing my scorching love note to Howl." She 'thanked' Sophie. Looking over Sophie's shoulder, the witch spotted Delacy who was glaring at her. "Delacy! It's been a long time, you look well. Still, without powers, I assume?"

"What do you think, witch? Don't ask such silly questions!" Delacy spoke with a simple wave of her hand while sticking her nose into the air.

Turning to Sophie, the witch smirked again. "How's Howl by the way?"

"He's acting like a big baby, and he's working me to the bone as he's cleaning lady!" Answered Sophie refusing to look at her.

"How delightful!" Snickered the Witch.

"He's married as well," Added Delacy with a smirk.

"He's what?" Snarled the witch as she raised her voice, leaning out of the carriage, her henchmen couldn't seem to hold her weight and the carriage dropped slightly to the side, making a terrible screeching sound. "To whom!"

"Oh, me. It was a private ceremony, if we had decided to make it public, I would've made sure to invite you, dear." Delacy smug smirk as she showed the ring Howl had given her. "Now, if you'll excuse us. Me and Sophie have to have a word with the palace."

"You! You strumpet! I'll have your heart for this! I will wring your neck for this! Howl belongs to me!" Screamed the witch as spit flew out of her mouth, the many rolls of fat on her neck jiggled.

"Careful there, witch! That sounds like a threat, I don't take kindly to threats. If you dare harm me, Howl will kill you. I assure you of that, he will hunt you down and rip whatever heart you have left." Snarled Delacy, her pale eyes were alive and it even seems the witch was intimidated by the frail woman.

Turning away from the woman, the witch focused on Sophie. "So, tell me why are you here?"

"Job hunting, I'm sick of working for Howl. Delacy was kind enough to show me the way here." Answered Sophie, being cunning as she thought of a lie on the spot. "What about yourself"

"I received a royal invitation, that idiot Suliman finally realised how much she needs my powers." The witch smiled a smug smile.

"If you're so great, why don't you break the spell you put on me!" Glared Sophie finally looking at the witch.

"I'm sorry, dear. My talents lie in casting spells, not breaking them." Smirked the Witch. "Bye granny, harlot."

"Now, see here!" Sophie cried as she tried to cases after the carriage. "You get here, right now!" Both Delacy and Howl struggled to catch up to Sophie who had managed to make some distance away from the two, huffing once they made their way back to Sophie's side. "If I didn't have you two to worry about, I would've hit her with my cane!"

"I'm sure you would've, I wouldn't stop you either." Huffed Delacy, holding her heart, sweat has started to swell from the corner of her hairline. "But don't you worry, Sophie. She's going to get hers very soon. Watch."

With a puzzled expression, Sophie followed Delacy's pointed finger towards the witch who's carriage was approaching the main gates of the palace. But once her goons crossed the gates and into the barrier, the henchmen melted away into the ground with the only thing remaining of them was their clothes.

"What? What happened to them?" Sophie asked.

"Suliman placed a barrier around the palace, no magic can be used beyond that point. The witch will be forced to walk up those stairs now." Smirked Delacy with a snarking laugh as the Witch stepped out of the carriage.

Speeding up their speed, the women quickly took their first steps up the stairs as they quickly passed the witch. But it was until they heard a soft cough and saw that Howl's tiny legs wouldn't let him climb up the stairs. Groaning, the two women walked down to Howl, both of them pick him up as they began to carry the dog up the stairs.

"Howl!" Sophie cried out with a pant. "Why are you so heavy!"

"You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you! Oh, you sneaky badger!" Accused Delacy with a cry. She could feel the sweat gather around her body and face, she prayed that her makeup wouldn't move or smudge. Especially her eyeliner and mascara, God, she wished she didn't coat that much mascara now.

"Wait... Wait... help!" The witch cried, with sweat pouring out of every pour in her body.

"What was that?" Questioned Sophie, looking over her shoulder. "You suddenly remembered how to break that spell on me?"

"I told you, I don't know how!" The witch cried back.

"Then start studying, Witch!" Delacy yelled back, before turning back and sticking her nose in the air.

"I don't get it!" The women could hear the witch huff. "Where do they get all that energy!"

"I can't do this, Sophie. I need to stop." Huffed Delacy, her arms felt like jelly from carrying Howl and her heart was screaming at her to stop. Plus her head was so dizzy, that the world seemed to be spinning and she was afraid she might fall down all these stairs.

"Me too." Dropping Howl onto the ground, who just walked around the step. Sophie turned to look at the witch that somehow looked worse than both of them combined.

"Why don't you stop! You'll kill yourself!" Yelled Sophie, to the witch.

"I have been waiting... for fifty years to be invited hereafter that Suliman cast me out!" The witch cried. Even more, sweat poured out of her, almost like a river, and Delacy found herself trying not to gag from the sight.

"That's what you get for giving your heart to a demon and letting it corrupt you, you dolt!" Delacy snarled, tucking some loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"Well, it's too bad I'm not younger, I would've helped you!" Sophie called back as she turned to Delacy. The two women laughed, a tired laugh. "C' mon, Howl."

"You cold-hearted, old hag and wench!" Huffed the witch.

Ignoring the insult, they picked Howl up again as they climbed up the last remaining steps of the palace. Dropping Howl on his back, the dog's legs move wildly as he pulled himself back onto his feet. Immediately he walked off, with Delacy. But unlike Delacy, Sophie turned back and look to where the witch was still struggling to climb up the stairs.

"Come on! You're nearly there! Just a couple more stairs to go!" Cheered Sophie, throwing an arm in the air.

"Honored, guests! Please, follow me!" A door-greeter greeted them.

"You should go help her get up these stairs." Replied Sophie as she watched the witch continue to struggle to climb.

"I am strictly forbidden to offer such assistance." The door-greeter informed.

"Heh, I wouldn't want to help her either." Snickered Delacy, as an evil smirk appeared on her face, enjoying the sight of the witch struggling.

"Delacy!" Scold Sophie with that mothering tone she found herself constantly using. "How rude! She was invited by the king himself!" Turning back to the witch, Sophie began to cheer for her again. "Come on! Let's go! Don't give up now! Are you a witch or not?"

"Oh, shut up!" Snarled the witch once she made it to the final step.

"What happened? You look so much older!" Yelped Sophie.

"That's the face that made Howl run away!" Grinned Delacy.

*****

The Witch of the Waste joined the two as they were escorted into the building. A funny emotion entered Delacy as she looked at the palace walls, it bubbled in her stomach and moved its way up to her throat where it got stuck. She didn't dare look at the walls or any of the cravings she use to love looking at, she only watched her feet as she walked. Sophie on the hand was taking her time to look around the room, never have seen something like this. And Delacy knew exactly what she was feeling, having felt that many years ago.

The women were escorted to a private room, the door was closed behind them, sealing them into the room. Looking around the room which was mostly decorated in red and gold. Delacy began to feel the familiar emotion that something wasn't quite right, and from the expression that Sophie was wearing, she wasn't the only one.

"A chair!" The witch suddenly yelled as she began to run to the middle of the room, where indeed a chair was sitting. "It's mine!"

With faces of disgust, the women looked at the witch, but it was until Howl ran off towards a door, did they finally look away. Calling his name, the two women followed after him. Howl led them down a hallway and towards a lone door.

"Howl, what are you doing!" Delacy whispered-yelled at the dog. But she looked up when a sliding door was pulled away, revealing one of Suliman's servants.

"Madame's, this way." He greeted with a smile and gestured arm.

The boy hadn't changed in the five years since she last saw him. Suliman's magic, Delacy must've thought. Of course, the woman would want to be surrounded by young boys. But, Delacy had a new insight on the boy, she couldn't help but see Howl's face on them. They all look remarkably similar to Howl. Walking through the very familiar dark halls that Delacy had walked down so many times. The bad and the good memories were flashing through her. But once the boy opened the door that would lead them to the royal green-house.

The royal green-house was relatively the same, the only thing different was the different sorts of plants that were in it. Delacy saw her first before she saw anything else, sitting in her wheelchair, Madame Suliman was shaking the hand of a senator with his four men waiting behind him. With one last nod, the group of men left the garden. The servant walked towards Suliman, whispering in her ear, he picked up a folder that was sitting on a coffee table beside her. Suliman signed it and the boy left the garden leaving the three alone.

"Mrs Pendragon? You're Howl Pendragon mother are you?" Madame Suliman smiled look at Sophie.

"Yes. Yes, I am Howl's mother." Replied Sophie, pulling at the skin on her hands.

"You must be tired, please, have a seat." Gesturing towards the chairs that were sitting in front of her. When Suliman spotted Delacy another smile worked it ways onto her face. "Delacy, it's wonderful to see you again. You look well, dear."

"Thank you," Delacy nodded when she took her seat next to Sophie. "I do feel better, especially since the last time we saw each other."

Turning her attention back to Sophie, Madame Suliman began to introduce herself. "I am Madame Suliman, his majesty head sorceress."

But looking to Madame Suliman's feet, Sophie spotted a very familiar dog resting by her feet. "That's not your dog is it?"

"His name in Heen, he's my errand dog. I had him escort you two today." Smiled Suliman. "I take it Howl won't be joining us today?"

"Howl is such a lazy son. He sent me instead. I don't know how he managed to woo Delacy enough for her to marry him." Sophie spoke with a sad and disappointed nod. "I'm sure the king will find him completely useless."

"I'm very sorry to hear that, Howl and Delacy were the last two apprentices I ever took." Madame Suliman spoke, as she rested her chin on her hand in thought. "I have never found such gifted students. So talented and marvellous with their gifts. I was so thrilled to have finally found someone gifted enough to be my heir. But tragedy happened five years ago when dear Delacy here lost her magic. But that wasn't the first tragedy, one day Howl's heart was stolen by a demon and he never came back to complete his apprenticeship. And since that day he has been using his magic for entirely selfish reasons. But, it warms my heart to know that my gifted students have united by marriage, I look forward to their children. They will surely be gifted, maybe even much more than their parents?"

Delacy was already annoyed by Madame Suliman's comment but the last comment about her's and Howl's children brought fury in her. Clenching her fist together a surge went through her and she didn't bother to hide the glare that she had. Even though Howl and she weren't married, the thought of her own children, who weren't even born were already being planned to be used as weapons brought a new meaning of anger in Delacy. Sparks flew from her hand, but she didn't see it. Her pale blue eyes had changed back to their original colour and her hair was slightly turning blonde.

"Mrs Pendragon. Delacy." Madame Suliman spoke looking at them. "That boy is extremely dangerous. His power is too great for someone without a heart. If he stays like this, I'm afraid he will end up like the Witch of the Waste. Send her in!"

And of course, when Madame Suliman spoke, her servant began to wheel in an unrecognisable Witch of the Waste. Horror filled Delacy when she saw the woman. She had been stripped of her powers and reverted back to her original age. The Witch of the Waste had to be at least seventy years old in appearance. Her mouth was open and there was so much loose skin that hung around her face and neck. Her nose was a bright red and there were many capillaries. Whipping her head towards Madame Suliman, Delacy looked at her with horror and fear.

"What have you done..."Delacy uttered.

"My goodness, what on earth happened to you!" Sophie cried bending down towards the witch as she pulled the old witch to her.

"I just restored her to the age she really is, all her powers are gone now. Once, she to was a magnificent sorcerer and had so much promise. But then she fell prey to a demon who was filled with greed who consumed her body and soul." Madame Suliman spoke with her famous composed expression. "Our kingdom can no longer afford to turn a blind eye to these disreputable wizards and witches. If Howl returns to me and vowels to use his magic to serve the kingdom. I will show him how to break from his demon. And if not," Sauliman paused to chuckle but she still continued. "Well, you see what I can do." She gestured towards the Witch of the Waste.

"That is enough!" Delacy roared, snarling as spit flew from her mouth. She stood from her chair as she took a threatening step towards Suliman, but she froze when she saw Suliman grip her staff. "Now, I understand why Howl was so concern coming here. I should've known that a sly fox like yourself would trick him. This is a trap! You lure people here with an invitation by the king, then you stripped them of their magic and power! You honourless woman! You have no honour! Howl would never be so heartless!" Looking down at her hands, Delacy began to grin slightly as emotions began to flood through her chest as she thought of Howl. Looking back up at Suliman, the small grin she had vanished. "Howl may be selfish, cowardly and unpredictable. And at times he just makes me want to pull my hair out and scream!" More magic flowed through Delacy at that moment but she couldn't see it, but Suliman and Sophie could. Sophie had never seen this side of Delacy before, the snarl and hiss that left the usually quiet woman startled her. Looking up at the woman, her blue eyes were alive and wild, the colour was flourishing with them. They weren't dull, not like before. "But his intentions are good! He just wants to be free! He won't come here! I won't let him! He doesn't need your help, he can fix his problems on his own, with the help of his family! I'm sure of it!" When Delacy had finished, her aura had changed, she was no longer powerless. Her eyes and hair had turned back to how it was five years ago. Delacy, the King's beast had returned.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.9K 2.1K 16
Y/N grew up with her family in the country, living the life of a simple farm girl. But one day, her feet start to carry her away from her home and ar...
63 0 12
this is basically howls moving castle but Norman from TPN is howl as you can see by the title starring... Kerrigan as Sophie Hatter Norman as Howl Do...
23.4K 574 11
You are a girl in your twenties who spent ten years being taught magic by Madam Suliman. Even though she also trained Howl, you two never met. You ar...
260 30 14
"𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓻𝓮, 𝓼𝔀𝓮𝓮𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓽. 𝓢𝓸𝓻𝓻𝔂, 𝓘'𝓶 𝓵𝓪𝓽𝓮..." •●•●•●• 𝙆𝙖𝙩𝙨𝙪𝙠𝙞 𝙡𝙚𝙛𝙩 𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙝𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙩𝙤𝙬𝙣 𝙩𝙤 𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙙...