Pokemon - From the Brink

By TobyGrazier

The 8th book in the 'Pokemon - The Biggest Wish' series! The World Tournament comes around in a new format... More

Prologue - In Your Hands
Chapter 1 - Babysitting in the Storm
Chapter 2 - Getting the Call
Chapter 3 - Naming the Squad
Chapter 4 - Mission
Chapter 5 - A Way In
Chapter 6 - Red Eye
Chapter 7 - Bond Phenomenon
Chapter 8 - Ripples
Chapter 9 - Continental Cup Draw
Chapter 10 - What's Inside
Chapter 11 - Brewing Storm
Chapter 12 - The Eagle Takes Flight
Chapter 13 - Wake-up Call
Chapter 14 - Fear Named
Chapter 15 - Power in Reverse
Chapter 16 - Trapped in Slumber
Chapter 17 - Freezing Semi-final
Chapter 18 - Action Plan
Chapter 19 - Unorthodox Training
Chapter 20 - Just Focus!
Chapter 21 - Sky Chase
Chapter 22 - Strike Back
Chapter 23 - Anger Issues
Chapter 24 - Eve of the End
Chapter 25 - Grand Europa Looms
Chapter 26 - Broken
Chapter 27 - Those Left Behind
Chapter 28 - Truth
Chapter 29 - Our Shot
Chapter 30 - Bedlam
Chapter 31 - Coaxing Courage
Chapter 32 - Snag
Chapter 33 - Willpower Wakes
Chapter 34 - Glimmer
Chapter 35 - Azelf in Action
Chapter 36 - Kiria Kurono: Origin
Chapter 37 - The Hero in the Moment
Chapter 38 - To Protect and Save
Chapter 39 - In the Pursuit of Knowledge
Chapter 40 - Siege
Chapter 41 - Crackles in the Dark
Chapter 42 - Secret of Shu
Chapter 43 - Sayonara, Bystander
Chapter 44 - Two-pronged Pre-emptive Strike
Chapter 45 - The Sword Roars
Chapter 46 - The Phoenix Rises
Chapter 47 - The Lightning Strikes
Chapter 48 - Shield Song
Chapter 50 - One More Night
Chapter 51 - The Face of Catastrophe
Chapter 52 - Unshackled Reaper
Chapter 53 - Back from the Dead
Chapter 54 - Evil's Hierarchy
Chapter 55 - Uneasy Alliance
Chapter 56 - To Lose it All
Chapter 57 - Help from on High
Chapter 58 - The Only Way
Chapter 59 - Our Forever
Chapter 60 - Borrowed Time

Chapter 49 - Leader by Nature

25 2 0
By TobyGrazier

"That ought to do it... I hope." Megan said, understandably annoyed, as Gabi and Shu landed down on the grass before her. They had just deployed another set of large shields around the complex – now the entire base was cloaked in about five layers instead of the one. After hearing from Kiria about what had happened the night before, it had been a miracle that anyone had even woken up that morning. Megan had tried to watch the events unfold on the security footage, but the moment the black beam had met Skyra's shield, the circuits had gone haywire, overloaded by the immense force flooding into the main hall.

Nevertheless, she didn't need to see it to believe how it had happened – enough insanity had happened recently for her to accept it. At the very least, the one barrier they had put in place had held the attacker at bay for at least a few seconds – so by adding a few more protective layers on top of it, everyone stood to survive at least a little longer if it ever happened again.

"We can drop some more if you want." Gabi said, his wings of flame shrinking down into embers and fading in the wind after his feet touched the ground.

"Ideally I'd say yes, but those were our last batch." Megan sighed. "We'll have to wait a few hours before the guys are able to whip up anymore large shields like those."

"Well, whenever they're ready, I'm glad to help out again." Shu said.

"Right!" Shaymin nodded.

"Thanks, guys, will do. But you'd better get to work honing your powers until then."

"Sí. Shu, want to practice aerial combat?" Gabi looked to him then the sky.

"Ok. Just, please try not to burn us." Shu-ling adjusted his glasses.

"If you're fast enough, that won't happen." Gabi joked, before crouching down. His wings burst out magnificently and he leapt up, taking off into the sky where Ho-oh was waiting above.

*

"I think I've got it..." I breathed in as I held a steel beam high in the air with my psychic abilities.

"That's it, the less you think about it, the easier it is to lift." Azelf encouraged.

"Ok..." I tried to think of it as a simple object, rather than a heavy metal beast that could cause serious damage. As a result, I found myself able to move it around with a little more freedom, as if some of its weight had disappeared.

"All right, now bring it down." Midorima said, gesturing towards the pile of beams between us. We had been stacking them and removing them for a few hours at this point.

I kept my palms open wide as I slowly pulled my hands down towards the pile, and the beam followed in unison. With a sigh of relief, I released the steel and smiled as it sat perfectly atop our little pyramid of metal.

"You're getting faster!" Azelf smiled.

"Phew... Ok, your turn." I nodded to Midorima.

"Of course."

"Ready when you are." Uxie said.

*

"Hyah!" Chloe's electrified fist smacked against Zeraora's open palm. "Rrrraah!" She spun round, trying to kick him, but the Thunderclap Pokemon deflected the strike.

"Good." He hopped back, lightning crackling across his body. "Now try this!"

He thrust his right arm forward and a bolt of lightning shot out from his open palm.

Chloe pulled herself back, and the bolt streaked through the air, slicing past the tip of her nose. The accompanying clap of thunder didn't sound until the bolt had already smacked into the wall far behind them.

"Gh!" The Australian girl almost lost her balance from leaning back too far, but caught herself in time.

"Impressive." Zeraora smirked. "Y'know, not a lot of people can claim they're fast enough to dodge lightning."

"Heh..." Chloe wiped the hair out of her eyes and closed her fists. "My turn!"

She punched forward, opening her palm at the last second, just like the Pokemon had done before her.

Electricity shot down and out of her hand, and Zeraora swiftly ducked low to avoid it.

"All right, you got it. How about a couple laps around the building?"

"A couple? How many are we talking?"

"Give me five, then." Zeraora stood up straight.

"All right. Don't blink."

Chloe straightened up, then vanished from sight. A second later, a violent rush of wind followed, and sparks of electricity fluttered in the wind, unable to keep up with their battery.

Then, before anyone would have had time to register her absence properly, Chloe reappeared, skidding back into the same spot she had taken off from, her shoes leaving a trail of scorched and sparking grass.

"Time." She said as her black ponytail dropped down.

"Not bad." Zeraora nodded. In reality, she had done the five laps in less than 4 seconds altogether. "But how about we race, this time?"

"Oh? Getting antsy?" She smirked.

"Ten laps. There's the finish line." He pointed to the line of blackened grass Chloe had left behind.

"You're on."

The two of them stood next to each other and slowly leant forward.

"Three." Chloe said.

"Two." Zeraora narrowed his gaze.

"One."

A mass of sparks crackled up from the pair, illuminating the far outer wall of the building.

"GO!"

There was a sonic boom as the two took off, and the grass around their feet reeled back in fear, as the very air itself rippled with lightning.

It was practically impossible to witness the race at all, but if it had been possible to see it unfold, spectators would have seen the final lap finish with an incredibly close victory for Zeraora – the Pokemon beat his partner by what couldn't have been more than a few picoseconds.

They skidded to a stop beyond the finish line.

"I almost had you!" Chloe declared, wiping her forehead.

"Hmph." Zeraora smirked, a bead of electrified sweat dropping to the ground.

"Let's go again!" Chloe breathed in. "I'll beat you."

"We'll keep going until you can." Zeraora nodded.

*

"We can sing and buff someone's strength, defence or speed." Meloetta said as she and Kiria watched over a room of agents who were going through their daily drills.

"Right, and our voices can also be used to attack."

"Yes, we can deal damage as long as our voices reach the opponent." The Melody Pokemon nodded. "Though, it's the same for buffs – our allies need to be able to hear us for us to be able to support them."

"Understood..." Kiria folded her arms. "How about healing? Is that something we can do too?"

"Yes, actually. As long as you put the right feeling into the song you sing, our voices can grant a range of effects."

"Let;s test some, shall we?" The young woman stepped into the room and went about finding some willing volunteers.

A few minutes later, Kiria had assembled what she needed – three agents and a stack of concrete blocks.

The rest of them, including the instructors, had gathered around out of curiosity.

"You've got the record for this?" Kiria asked the man in the centre who was standing in front of the blocks.

"Yes ma'am, four blocks." He nodded.

"All right, show me."

"Yes ma'am."

The man, made his way to the opposite side of the tower of concrete and readied himself to strike. After a deep breath, he struck the stack with precision and deadly force. As he said, he broke through four blocks in one blow, the dust and debris dropping down onto the mat. It drew a mumble of approval from his peers.

"All right..." Kiria nodded. "Now, I want you to do the exact same thing again, but make sure you hear my voice first."

She had explained to the room how Meloetta's powers worked, so there was no confusion amongst them – but perhaps a little bit of doubt that hearing a song could make them stronger.

The concrete blocks were replaced, so now the stack's top four were replaced. There were ten blocks total.

"Ready?" She asked her partner.

"On your mark." Meloetta nodded, lowering her headpiece.

Kiria took a deep breath and began to sing – a faster, more aggressive song from back in her career as a singer. Typically accompanied by guitars and drums, somehow Meloetta was able to synchronise with her vocals so well that you wouldn't even know the instruments were missing.

Their target was the man who had struck the blocks, and he looked at his hands in awe as a red hue began to pulsate around his body.

"...Ok, now try again." Kiria finished.

"All right...!" The man turned back to the cement and lifted his arm, striking in the same fashion he had before – except this time, his chop tore right through eight of the blocks, and the force caused cracks to splinter through the bottom two.

The room cheered in disbelief, and even the man who pulled it off was dumbfounded.

"Nice." Kiria smirked. "All right, you." She looked at the second volunteer.

"Ma'am!"

"You're gonna kick him as hard as you can in the stomach." She pointed to the third and final volunteer.

"H-huh?" The third guy blinked.

"Don't worry. We'll heal you, then we'll buff you up." She smiled.

"Oh... O-ok..."

"Then you'll kick him again." Kiria said to the second man.

*

"You should be feeling lighter and faster on your feet." Zacian called out.

"Yeah, definitely!" Victor dashed around the sports hall, his speed comparable to that of Hikaru's.

"And, though you wield my sword, I have bestowed another power upon you, besides speed." The wolf went on. "If you find yourself without the weapon in hand, you need only will it and you can strike with the exact same force using your own limbs."

"Really?!"

"This way, you and I can both strike with my sword's ferocity, no matter who wields it."

"That's amazing..." Victor looked at the weapon in his hands.

"Why don't you test yourself?" Zamazenta called from the other side of the hall. Skyra was standing ready with his mighty shield.

"But if Zacian's sword can cut through anything..." Skyra tightened his grip.

"Fear not. My shield will not fail you. So long as you believe you can stop it, you will. What's more, perfect defence is not my only gift to you. It was dangerous to tell you before, but now I believe it is safe to try it – If you manage to withstand any blow, my shield will repel the attack with twice the force."

"Wait, really?!" Skyra looked back, imagining what would've happened if he had done that with that blast the night before. Chances are he would have been the one to kill everyone if he had access to that power then.

"Here I go!" Victor called out.

"Right – bring it!" Skyra turned back to him and raised his shield.

The Russian boy was already in his face, dropping from the air after a powerful leap.

"Hyyyaaah!" Victor cried, swinging Zacian's blade down with all his might.

Skyra shifted his weight and got behind his shield, shuddering as the sword connected with it. The sound of the clash reverberated throughout the sports hall, and a couple brilliant sparks danced from the point of contact.

"Rrgh!" Skyra winced, his knees buckling from the incredible strength behind the strike.

"Stand strong!" Zamazenta roared.

"Keep pushing!" Zacian barked.

"Haaaaaaah!" Victor pushed down with everything he had, but Skyra's feet remained planted firmly on the ground. Though his legs were shaking, he wasn't going to falter.

"Rrrrr... GRAH!"

The shield flickered with a brilliant light, and Victor gasped as there was an almighty 'bang', and his sword was ripped from his hands.

The blade went rocketing back across the hall and lodged itself firmly in the wall, several feet off the ground. At the same time, Victor was thrown back through the air, and Zacian leapt up to catch him.

"Uwah..." Skyra staggered back.

"That was it." Zamazenta said proudly. "Well done, you repelled his attack."

"I'm not done yet!" Victor leapt off of Zacian's back when the two landed and ran at Skyra again.

"I've got this...!" Skyra nodded, and readied himself once more.

"Hah!" Victor pulled his arm back, his punch ready.

The shield was lifted up, ready to block.

And then Victor stopped on the spot, shifting his momentum and throwing himself into a jump, tilting to the left as he fell.

"What-?!" Skyra saw Victor's right foot storm in out of nowhere, hooking around the edge of Zamazenta's shield. The strike had just as much force behind it as the sword had, if not more.

The scissor kick tore the shield from Skyra's hands and the protective plate flew through the air, clanging and bouncing down the court. It's wielder stumbled back and would have fallen had Zamazenta not positioned itself behind him to cushion his retreat.

"It really worked..." Victor picked himself up, amazed at the ferocity of his kick.

"That was crazy." Skyra eased himself forward.

"Excellent work." Zacian said, walking up, the sword now in his mouth after having prised it out of the wall.

"Thanks." Victor smiled.

"Let us not forget how your sword was blocked." Zamazenta smirked.

"Hm." Zacian returned the look. "A draw, then. Both were disarmed."

"I can deal with that." Skyra smiled at his opponent.

"Me too." He laughed.

*

"Got you!" Hikaru laughed as her vines shot out of the ground and wrapped themselves around Caleb's earthen sword.

"Rrgh..." Caleb pulled his blade but it wouldn't cut through the ties around it – the vines were taut and stubborn. "All right... Try this!"

He let go of the hilt with his left hand and lifted it upwards, manipulating the ground beneath him. A sheet of stone erupted from the Earth, slicing through the vines and freeing his weapon. Both the greenery and the stone then crumbled down to the ground.

"All right, fair." Hikaru nodded. "But let's see you stop me now!"

The girl dashed forward, her movements blisteringly fast.

Caleb crossed his arms across his face and braced himself. Almost immediately, he felt Hikaru's sword of grass slash him from multiple angles. His skin, hard as rock, withstood the barrage, but it was constant and unrelenting as Hikaru danced around him effortlessly, her speed only outmatched by the girl who could literally outrun lightning.

"Gettin' tired yet?" Hikaru called, her blade slicing across his forearms.

"Not likely." Caleb scoffed. "Can't you do any better?"

He suddenly dropped down low and Hikaru's slash whiffed through the empty space.

"Eh...?!"

"There!" Caleb stuck his leg out, catching her foot.

"Whoa!"

Hikaru went flying, tucking into a roll before she hit the ground. "Cheap trick!" She smirked, pointing her sword back at him.

The ground by her feet rumbled, and a single, massive vine burst from the depths.

"Did the job!" Caleb pointed his sword at her, and a huge slab of rock tore out of the ground.

The two attacks met in mid-air and sent a mess of rubble and shredded plant falling to the floor.

"You're doing well." Virizion smiled.

"Quite." Terrakion agreed. "Now that you're able to manipulate your respective elements without plunging your swords into the ground, you can adapt on the fly."

"It feels pretty good, won't lie." Caleb reached out and closed his fist. In response, a clump of stone slabs rose up from around Hikaru's feet, trapping her in a tent of rock.

"Yeah." Her voice came from within, stifled and far away.

There was a green flash and the barricade crumbled as her sword sliced through it. "It makes stuff like this way easier." Hikaru wiggled her index finger and the grass underneath Caleb's feet wrapped around his ankles, tripping him over.

"You're not planning on beating Bedlam by tripping it up, are you?" Paolo joked as he came near.

"'Course not." Hikaru shrugged. "It deserves much, much worse than being tripped up."

"I don't even think that thing has legs." Caleb sliced through his bonds and climbed to his feet.

"Well if what Skyra saw last night was in fact Bedlam itself, then it does." The Italian said.

"Oh, right, I forgot about that, geez..." Hikaru shuddered. "What did he say it looked like? Purple eyes?"

"And pale skin." The other boy brushed himself off.

"A humanoid foe..." Paolo thought about it.

"It never looked like that before, though. Well, its minions did, but..." Hikaru frowned.

"It must be because it's almost at full power..." Paolo said. "It's finally taken up its physical form."

"Bastard was better off as a cloud of smoke." Caleb growled. "'Least now I can stab it."

"If we even get the chance." Hikaru shook her head. "I mean, that thing almost wiped us out in our sleep! It sure as Hell 'ain't waiting for us to match it!"

"But if we don't fight it soon, the risk of people dying goes up." Paolo looked back at the building behind him. "The longer we take, the more people die..."

"How would we even know when we're ready anyway? Oh God..."

"Stay calm." He replied. "We have time. Not a lot of it, but it's something. If fall to nerves before we even fight, then we've already lost the battle."

"Right, right... But will you fight? I mean, I don't see how you could, and leaving here would only put you in danger."

"Mm." Caleb folded his arms. "Without a legendary Pokemon, people can be killed in one touch from that bastard. You talk like that, but you know full well your pep-talk can't happen on the battlefield – you wouldn't be safe."

"Gh..." Paolo looked at the ground.

"I wouldn't be so sure." Virizion spoke up. "I think he has potential."

"Yes, a true leader-type." Terrakion agreed.

"You think Paolo can bond with a Pokemon?" Hikaru asked.

"Well..." Paolo looked up. "I did hear a voice once. The other day, actually."

"That's it!" Virizion nodded. "Follow that voice."

"You ARE a leader, Paolo. That much is clear."

"O-oh! It's back...!" The boy gasped.

"Huh?" Caleb blinked.

"Whoa! O-ok, focus, focus!" Hikaru urged him.

"The only question is, are you prepared to lead once more?"

"Funny..." Paolo mumbled to himself. "People always pin my as a leader. I don't think I've ever volunteered for it, though..."

*

Nowadays, Paolo Aldena was known as one of the strongest Pokemon Trainers in the world. After all, he had captained Italy to win the first World Tournament, being the victor in the final battle of the competition. And again, he captained Europe in the Continental Cup this time around, leading them to the final round. The Final itself had been interrupted, but Paolo's performance had still been incredible.

The young man was popular with his teammates and fans alike for his kind, supportive nature and fighting spirit. However, the circumstances and experiences that brought Paolo to be this kind of person, who could lead his peers on the world stage, weren't all happy. He always thought back to one specific period in his childhood.

*

In Venice, Italy, Paolo had grown up as an orphan. He never knew his parents, and no relatives ever showed themselves, so being put into the orphanage was among his first memories. It was where he remained until he was 10 years old – though he had had many families approach him to adopt him through the orphanage. He was the shining star among the children – polite, well-mannered, responsible and helpful. Whenever would-be parents came around, they were always drawn to Paolo. It started when he was around 7, almost 8, and, had these people come to adopt him even a few months earlier, he would have gratefully and willingly gone with them.

However, the ever-sensible Paolo would always, without fail, kick up a fuss whenever he was told that people wanted to have him join their families. This in itself appeared odd, but to Paolo, it was his only choice, because, along with all his talents and qualities, he was also particularly selfless.

He had made friends at the orphanage, both his age and younger, and they looked up to Paolo, not only because he was liked by everyone, but because he was like a protector to them.

Around the time families began to take an interest in Paolo, the orphanage he lived at had been overtaken by new management, and they didn't sit well with him at all. Gone were the caring staff who really understood the troubles of the kids, and in their place were now insensitive monsters who only cared about their own reputation. The place had a history of helping kids find homes, so when the new management took over, they saw it as the perfect opportunity to boost their own image.

Paolo's problem with them was that they mistreated the orphans horribly. They would shout at, berate and shame them, and sometimes even hit them in the worst cases. One of his friends had also been practically starved by them because he had irritated a member of staff during a visit from a young couple by complaining that he was hungry.

They never laid a finger on Paolo himself, though. They wouldn't dare. He had an air about him that suggested he was smart enough to wriggle his way out of there if he wanted to, and then they would lose their star child and, in their eyes, their best P.R.

A lot of the other kids tried to follow Paolo's example, but it was never enough for the adults who ruled them. Even so, they were quite lenient on their freedom – that or they just didn't care enough to supervise. The kids were often allowed to roam the streets of Venice during the day, so long as they returned by a certain time. And God forbid if they were late.

The kids often contemplated running away, but in truth, they all knew it to be futile. After all, they had no homes – no places to go. If they were found by the authorities, they would just be thrown right back into the orphanage.

It was a vicious cycle, in more ways than one. For example, because a fair number of the kids were going hungry, they would try to steal food from market stalls when nobody was looking – but there was always someone watching. When they were caught, the police would take them back to the orphanage and tell the staff, who would then punish them – and they weren't merciful at all.

It was on one day, while the kids were out and about, that Paolo took it upon himself to try and save his fellow orphans. He couldn't do it alone, though – which was where his budding talent as a leader came into play.

*

Paolo was 9 years old, and he and his friends were walking the streets of Venice in the middle of the day.

"Ay! Hernandez, put that back!" Paolo warned a boy who was two years his junior.

"Aww..." The meek lad put the apple he had snatched from a cart back slowly as a few adults turned and glared.

"Scusi." Paolo bowed slightly, ushering Hernandez away.

"Hey, Paolo." Riccardo, a boy the same age as him came over. He had short and wavy greyish-brown hair and brown eyes. "I haven't seen Angelo in a while."

"Angelo?" Paolo looked around as they crossed over a bridge, the water gently flowing below. Angelo was his best friend at the orphanage, a short kid with blond hair and blue eyes with a shy demeanour.

"Hm..."

"Oh." Riccardo looked up. "Ignacio."

"P-Paolo...!" A boy with glasses was running towards them.

"Ignacio!" Paolo stepped forward. "What's wrong?"

"It's Angelo!" The boy panted. "H-he's being chased-"

"Why?" Riccardo asked.

"W-well..." Ignacio looked away and twiddled his fingers.

"Ignacio." Paolo frowned.

"He... He stole a camera..." He winced.

"What?!" Paolo blinked. "Angelo did?"

"That's unlike him." Riccardo was surprised. "If anyone was gonna do that, it'd be you." He turned to Hernandez.

"Hey!"

"Where is he, Ignacio?" Paolo asked.

"Um, well, h-he should be coming down this way..." Ignacio was worried.

"...All right, you guys head back."

"What will you do?" Riccardo folded his arms.

"I'll find him and make him give the camera back." Paolo sighed. "Why would he do that...?"

"Anything we can do?"

"No, just head back. Riccardo, you're in charge." He turned to look back. "Make sure there's no more thieving, ok?"

"Sí."

The three boys headed back the way they came, and Paolo walked down the steps at the far end of the bridge, looking down the alleyways as people milled past.

"Angelo?" He called out. "Angelo?!"

"Stop that boy!" A voice shouted from the distance.

Paolo looked up ahead and saw him – the boy was running through the streets, weaving through crowds as if his life depended on it. He had an expensive-looking camera in his hands.

"He really did do it..." Paolo was disappointed. Still, he called out to his friend and waved him down.

"P-Paolo...!" The boy was both relieved and frightened to see him.

"Come here!" Paolo grabbed him and pulled him into a side alley.

"Paolo-!"

"Shh!" Paolo covered his mouth, then held his finger up to his lips before letting go. Angelo nodded, and the two waited until the thundering footsteps of his pursuers passed and faded away.

"...They're gone..." Paolo peered round the corner.

"Grazie, Paolo..." Angelo huffed.

"Angelo..." He looked back at him, and the boy squirmed under his gaze. "Why did you steal? You never do that..."

"I just..." The kid looked like he was about to cry. "Maria and Hernandez and everyone are so hungry... I-I thought, maybe if I could find and sell something expensive, we could buy food for everyone, instead of having to live off scraps..."

"Angelo..." Paolo sighed. "Amico, the problem is that you didn't find that camera. You stole it."

"Urk..."

"Look – your heart is in the right place. It's very sweet of you to think of the others like that, but you shouldn't commit crimes, Angelo. It makes you look bad, and people might not want to adopt you."

"B-but... Is that why you don't steal?"

"Hm? No, I don't steal because it isn't right." He scratched his head. "I don't care about adoption – not right now, anyway. I want you and the others to get adopted first, so I can make sure you're all safe before I go."

"That's why you keep saying no to all the families who offer to take you...?"

"Sí, Angelo."

"Paolo..." Angelo's eyes widened and he sniffed. "That's so... So..."

"I'm not looking for praise." Paolo shook his head. "I just want you and the others to be happy. The adults don't treat me badly, but it should be that way for everyone."

"But you step in when our friends are being shouted at and they stop attacking them." Angelo said.

"Exactly. That's why I stay."

"Oh..."

"Now, Angelo, please, give that camera back to whoever you took it from."

"I..." He tightened his grip on the device.

"Come on, Amico. Even if you didn't, a little orphan boy trying to sell an expensive camera seems a little suspicious, no?"

"Sí, you might be right..." The shorter one sighed. "I'm sorry, Paolo... Please forgive me..."

"Don't ask for forgiveness from me, but from whoever you took it from." Paolo patted his shoulder.

It was then that an idea shot through his head.

He had gone to the police before about the abusive caretakers at the orphanage, but they had dismissed him almost immediately. The old staff had built up such a good image in the local area, and the new staff were perfectly weaselling off of it. They wouldn't believe his word.

But if he had proof of the abuse...

"Angelo..." Paolo stepped back. "Hear me out."

"Huh...? I thought we were taking this camera back."

"We are – but first, we're going to have to use it."

"Use it?! What are you saying?!"

"Trust me." He said, thinking about the dozens of kids waiting back at the orphanage, and how many of them might be being hit or shouted at, and how many of them might not eat that night.

*

Paolo's plan wasn't exactly easy to execute. The hardest part was getting the camera into the orphanage and filming the adults without them noticing. If they saw it, they would confiscate it immediately, and the punishment would follow soon after that. So, sneaking the stolen camera back to the building, Paolo propped it up on the windowsill outside the main living room, and he and Angelo headed inside, past the staff who were sat in the reception area. After checking that it was clear, he then went into the living room and opened the window, quickly pulling the camera inside while Angelo was on watch.

Paolo had strapped it round his neck and tucked it under his shirt, pushing it round his back and hiding the strap beneath his collar.

The next step was getting the other kids in on the act. It wasn't easy to talk to them all without any staff in earshot, but Angelo and Riccardo helped spread the word.

For the rest of the day, the camera was discreetly passed between the kids, and whoever had it on them would pull it out to record footage of any cruelty that unfolded. It went well, until Ignacio was almost caught red-handed.

The bespectacled boy had just recorded a short video of one of the caretakers holding another boy's arm and slapping them so hard it left a red mark. The man had straightened up and turned around faster than the boy could properly hide the camera though, and he immediately clocked on.

Ignacio had fumbled with the strap and missed his head, so he had to quickly hide the device behind his back.

"Ignacio...? What are you hiding?" The man stepped towards him, his eyes still angry.

"Oh, n-nothing...!" He smiled, an uneasy laugh coming from his lips.

The others in the room froze, terrified that their plan was about to come undone.

Paolo thought quickly and shot a glance across to Maria, the 7 year-old girl with long blond hair and green eyes.

She caught his eye and blinked, before nodding.

"Oooooh...!" She winced, grabbing her stomach and leaning forward.

"Hm?" The man stopped advancing towards Ignacio and turned around. "What is it?"

"My tummy...! Ow... Oooofff..." Maria groaned, a rather convincing act.

Paolo utilised the confusion to get over to Ignacio.

"All right, all right, calm down." The man was saying as Maria sobbed.

"Ignacio." Paolo whispered.

The boys swapped their items and Paolo quickly hid the camera under his shirt, whilst Ignacio now had a toy car.

"Ow, ow... It hurts...!" Maria wailed.

Paolo slid the camera lens out from his shirt's neck hole and started to record.

"Oh, all right already! Shut up!" The man snapped. It was clear he wanted to strike her, but by some miracle, he resisted. "Go to the medical office already!"

Paolo stopped recording and hid the camera, moving away from Ignacio.

The member of staff went back to the boy with glasses and, when he showed him that he was hiding a toy car behind his back, he promptly gave up and moved on to a different room.

Paolo gave him and Maria a thumbs-up and the other kids in the room smiled in amazement.

"How's it going?" Angelo appeared at his side, speaking in a whisper.

"Good, just a bit more and I think we've got them." Paolo replied.

"Wonderful! Well, actually, I think Hernandez just tried to sneak into the pantry." Angelo pointed behind him. "They're shouting."

"All right, take it and try and catch some of it." Paolo handed him the camera.

"Ok!"

Angelo scurried off and Paolo waited. After a little while, he heard the undeniable sound of a slap ring out from the kitchen.

"Ooh..." Riccardo winced as he walked by. "That can't be good..."

It was followed by the sound of sobbing as Hernandez wailed through the wall.

"Oh shut up!" Came the angry response.

"That should do it." Paolo nodded, feeling sickly that he was having to use his friends' pain like this. But it would all be worth it in the end.

"And there's still time today to take it to the police." Riccardo pumped his fist. It was true – they still had another hour until their curfew, and the police station was barely ten minutes away.

Just then, they saw Angelo come out of the kitchen slowly. He looked around cautiously before running towards them on his tip-toes.

"You get it?"

"All of it!" Angelo nodded.

"Good work!" Paolo smiled. "Ok, let's see..." He and Riccardo gathered round Angelo and the three of them reviewed the footage that the kids had gathered today. Watching it back, it was clear that a number of them had been terrified, as a lot of the video was shaky, but it captured what was needed. The shouting, the beating, the rudeness – even the outright refusal to provide food.

"Looks good." Riccardo nodded.

"Yeah." Paolo agreed, turning it off. "Ok, let's go."

"Boys!" Maria's voice came from behind them, but her warning was too late.

"You three." A woman had her eyes locked on them as she entered the room. "What have you got there?"

"Just a toy." Paolo smiled.

"Right. Let me see."

"It's just a toy-" Riccardo backed him up.

"Let. Me. See." She demanded, stepping closer.

"Urk..." Angelo shuddered.

Paolo looked around, trying to think of a way out of this. But as she drew closer, it became apparent that they were going to have to run.

"Hey, everyone, I think it's time for dinner." Paolo said.

The dozen or so kids sitting in the room knew full-well that it wasn't dinnertime yet, but that didn't matter. It was Paolo's backup, and they all knew what to do.

In unison, they all got up and rushed towards the doorway, and, as they all seemingly fought to get out, they blocked the woman's path, trapping her in the room as they pretended to try and squeeze out into the hallway.

"Now!" Riccardo pushed Paolo and Angelo forward, and the three of them broke into a run.

"HEY!" The woman called after them. "Stop those boys!"

The guys in the reception took a moment to register what was going on, and by the time they reacted, the three of them had already run out the front door.

*

"Keep up!" Paolo urged Angelo as he brought up the rear.

The short boy was doing his best to cradle the camera as he ran, being careful not to damage it.

"They're following us!" Riccardo looked over his shoulder.

Two men were indeed running after them, shouting for them to come back.

"What'll we do?!" Angelo panted, his heart racing.

"We'll cut through the market!" Paolo said. "We'll lose them there!"

The three of them crossed a bridge and ran through into the market area where Paolo had stopped Hernandez from stealing earlier.

"Over that bridge!" Paolo pointed to the one in the distance.

"Ah!" Riccardo skidded to a halt, spotting the apple cart from earlier.

"Rick!" Angelo looked back.

Up ahead, Paolo stopped and turned.

"Go!" Riccardo urged, waving them on before ducking behind the apple cart. "Go!"

"Come on, Angelo!" Paolo grabbed his arm and the two of them started running again.

"But-!" Angelo looked back.

"It's ok." Paolo smiled.

"Hey!"

"Get back here!"

The two men had just entered the market, and could see Paolo and Angelo crossing the bridge. They sprinted through the crowded street, weaving through the masses until they came to the corner.

"You can do it, Amici...!" Riccardo watched his friends go and gritted his teeth before violently kicking out at the wooden prop that was acting as the brakes for the apple cart.

The cart immediately toppled over, sending dozens upon dozens of fresh apples spilling out onto the pathway.

There were shouts and gasps from passers-by, but the trap had worked. The pursuers were tripped up by the rolling fruits, and stumbled past. One of them went flying, landing on top of the fruit whilst the other staggered past the bridge, just barely grabbing the railing and righting himself before taking off after the two boys.

"Tch..." Riccardo frowned. He had taken out one of them, but it was all he could do for them. "Good luck..." He turned back towards the orphanage.

*

"Almost there!" Paolo assured his friend.

"Ok...!" Angelo panted, barely keeping up.

The police station was just at the end of the next street over.

"...Hey!"

They looked back to see that one of the men was still on their tail.

"Ah... Paolo...!"

"Just keep running!" He urged him. "It'll be all right!"

Their next turn took them onto a waterside path, with the Grand Canal on their right.

Up ahead, there was a little blue figure, standing and admiring the waterway.

Paolo recognised it as the Riolu that he often saw wandering around the city. He had befriended it not long ago by sharing his bread with it, and it had been fond of him ever since.

"Amico!" He called out to the Pokemon as they ran towards it.

"Ri...? Ro!" It looked happy to see him.

"We need your help!" Paolo cried. "Please!"

The two boys sprinted past and the Riolu watched them go, confused.

"Ru...?" It blinked, looking back at the water and tilting its head.

Then the man chasing them rounded the corner, his eyes filled with rage as his feet pounded along the walkway.

"...!" The Riolu understood at once that this was the reason Paolo had asked for help.

The man ran past and, quick as a flash, the Riolu reached out and pushed its palm into his abdomen. It wasn't violent, but the little push was just enough to knock him off balance, and the man went tumbling into the Grand Canal with a satisfying splash.

The Riolu looked around with an expression that said 'whoops, did I do that?'

*

"My word..." The police officer gasped as he watched the footage.

"So you believe me now?" Paolo asked.

Angelo was still catching his breath.

"Of course – this is a very serious matter. We'll get right to it." He signalled to another officer who nodded and went to assemble his colleagues.

"Thank you!" Paolo bowed. Finally, the twisted staff would be kicked out and the orphans would be allowed to live with proper care once more.

"There is one other matter, though." The policeman said, looking at the two boys. "You fit the description of a camera thief we were told about earlier today." He pointed at Angelo, then looked at the camera. "It was you. You stole this very camera, didn't you?"

"I-" The boy began.

"I told him to." Paolo lied. "I needed it for my plan to work – it was the only way."

"I'm sure you understand that even though you used it to capture a crime, it doesn't absolve you of the crime you committed in the first place?"

"Sí, I know..." Paolo sighed. "But please, I take full responsibility. Angelo wouldn't have done it if I hadn't told him to."

"Paolo..." Angelo was at a loss for words.

"You boys just sit tight while I call up the owner of this here camera." He reached for a phone, and Angelo sidled slightly closer to his friend.

*

In the end, the owner of the camera turned out to be surprisingly understanding. She sympathised with the plight of the orphans, and was a little proud that her camera had been used to take down the corrupt management at the orphanage. She was kind enough to let the boys off, and they were allowed to leave.

As for the management, it was almost instantly absolved, and, upon hearing how the kids had been treated, a number of the old staff returned, with vacancies filled by new applicants who were far nicer than the abusive ones before them.

If the kids revered Paolo before, he was their undisputed leader now, having pulled off a stunt that saved them from their seemingly endless torment. Even so, Paolo was quick to play down his role, instead praising Angelo, Riccardo and the others for being so co-operative. The plan required them all to work together, and thanks to their unified efforts, the kids were finally back in good hands.

As it so happened, this was Paolo's first real test of leadership, and he handled it well. He would go on to improve on it in the coming years, though he always found it funny how he never really asserted himself as a leader, yet always ended up in the role. The kids at the orphanage had trusted him, and he hadn't betrayed that trust. As fate would have it, a number of those orphans would reunite with Paolo years later in the World Tournament, where they participated as members of Italy's team, once again under Paolo's guidance. They put their faith in him once again, and he led them to gold.

As much as it seemed unfounded to him, there was definitely a reason why his friends always saw him as the leader. He knew how to lead a group from the front and get involved in the fray – qualities that would stay with him for life.

*

"Hm." Paolo stopped reminiscing and opened his eyes. "Eh...? What is this...?" He looked out at the stars in the expanse of space he was seemingly standing in, though he could breathe easily.

"So, you've finally made it." A voice belonging to a ball of cobalt light spoke.

"You... I've heard your voice before." Paolo remembered.

"You are a leader, Paolo." The light went on. "A true leader, who is selfless and self-sacrificing for his allies."

"I wouldn't say all that..."

"Humble, too. Truly, you have a gift."

"What are you saying?"

"This conflict that threatens our world, and the beast who dares invade us... The battle ahead will need a leader to take charge – to lead by example and bring comfort to their allies. For without a leader – without a focal point – our efforts against this terror will be uncoordinated and less effective. I believe that you are the one whom I can bestow my strength to. Together, we can lead with all we have, and work with our allies to ensure that our world has the best possible chance of survival."

"I don't know if I'm meant to lead, but..." Paolo took a deep breath. "I know I'll do whatever it takes to protect my allies."

"As a true leader should."

"My friends... I want to lead them to victory - better yet, I want to stand with them when the dust settles, in a world which is free from Bedlam's grasp."

"Yes. You understand. A leader does not lead because they are better than their peers. They are all very much their equal, and the leader must do what they can to repay their allies' trust in them."

"Sí. I want to lend them my strength, and draw out the best of their strengths too."

"Perfect. Paolo, let us be among those who lead this world down a brighter path!"

The blue light buzzed.

"I won't let you down." He nodded, and the light sank into his chest, bathing his body in a cool glow. "We will walk our path together, for the good of all life! COBALION!"

*

"Whoa!"

"Seriously?!"

Hikaru and Caleb shielded their eyes as Paolo's glowing body emitted a light that washed over them.

"Oh...!" Virizion gasped.

"You..." Terrakion marvelled.

Standing beside Paolo was a regal, stag-like creature with magnificent aqua blue fur. Its legs had lighter fur towards the hooves that were separated from the darker body by black bands. Its tail and face were of a similar light shade, with two incredible jagged yellow horns protruding from its head. A tuft of white fur on its chest that resembled a cravat made it look incredibly suave, and yellow fin-like protrusions on its shoulders coupled with the black blaze on the back of its head gave it an important air.

The Iron Will Pokemon, Cobalion, smiled warmly at its old comrades.

Paolo instinctively reached out into the ether, and, upon grasping the air and pulling back, unsheathed a brilliant silver sword from nowhere. The blade sparkled with dazzling energy, with an innate affinity for metals, like how Caleb's favoured the ground and Hikaru's took to the grass.

"You did it..." Hikaru's smile widened.

"Huh. Not bad." Caleb smirked.

"This power..." Paolo looked to his new partner.

"It's yours to command, my friend." Cobalion nodded.

"Thank you..." He beamed.

"Look at us, eh?" Hikaru laughed. "The Three Musketeers!" She raised her green sword.

"Pffft, sure." Caleb lifted his own brown one, the tips of the blades crossing over under the Sun.

"Ha..." Paolo looked at his own weapon, then to Hikaru and Caleb, before thrusting his silver blade skyward.

The three swords clanged together and the Pokemon gave each other a knowing look. Not even Caleb could deny that this moment was empowering.

"Let's do our best!" Paolo cheered.

"Yeah!"

*

"Wow..." Yu marvelled at the three of them, from his hiding spot in the doorway. "That's so cool...!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.4K 403 28
My day was normal. Until my teacher turned into a demon, some scary, over-sized dogs attacked me, and I met Bad Boy Supreme. Getting torn apart from...
988 92 22
"Our entire lives led us to this moment, only for us to lose in the end. We aren't a team, a family, we never were. We are just a bunch of puzzle pie...
197K 3K 26
⚠️Rewritten⚠️ Search 'Resurgence| A Pokémon Fanfiction' ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 'Never Give Up Until The End' Is what got him to where he is toda...
173 19 23
A world once run by humans is now a cold, barren, and toxic wasteland filled with vicious, mutant, and flesh-eating animals; as a result of an unpred...