Man Of Few Words

Par GavinMackenzie

One man's painful yet funny search for meaning in a life about to be cut short. Cancer has made David Alexand... Plus

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95

Chapter 9

62 6 3
Par GavinMackenzie

I feel like I should be getting back to the story of my career, just to give all this some kind of narrative continuity, but it's not important and it never was. I think that was the point I was trying to make, and I think I already made it. Nevertheless I feel compelled to quickly mention that after doing scam letters and various other bits and pieces for a while, I started getting a lot of work writing manuals for things that didn't really need them – basic home appliances and the like. I didn't have the knowhow to do anything as complicated as a computer or even a flatpack furniture unit, but I did a lot of toasters, coffee makers, vacuum cleaners, food processors and even, on one occasion, a range of DVD players. I really regretted taking that DVD player job on. They had way more features than I'd ever imagined possible, and it confused the hell out of me. I'm eternally sorry to anyone who ever bought any model from that particular range. You'd have been better off with one of those manuals that reads like it was written by a Chinese factory worker who does have a Chinese-English dictionary, but hasn't actually ever seen any actual English sentences written down before. The guy who writes stuff like, "Place the disc on the disc then hit the button really must now tray," might not know English, but at least he knows how the machine is supposed to work.

It's really hard to write authoritatively and informatively when your natural instinct would be to write things like, "If that little light is red, then I think that means it's off. Sort of," and "Just keep pressing it 'til you see some numbers on the display." I was always better at informal, conversational, chummy stuff, which is how I progressed to directions on the packaging for food and various other household goods, then ultimately to catchier, more marketing-y kind of stuff for the last 5 years or so.

You might mock my use of the blatant non-word 'marketing-y', but blatant non-words, especially those ending in 'y' have been my bread and butter for some time. Literally, as it happens. In the case of bread, I had the apparently inspired idea to describe a brand of bread rolls as 'roly'. Since then Roly Rolls have made huge gains in market share and are officially the most popular brand of bread products among primary school children in the UK.

As for butter; well, I can't take credit for 'butterly'. Very much my style, but it was before my time. However, when Knobby's Butter needed a tagline for its new Knobby's Kids range, I was on hand to throw down, "Spready for anything!" The launch was a huge success and that self-same gibberish still adorns every Knobby's Kids product on the market.

Yeah, kids' stuff was a bit of a speciality for me for a while. Then marketing departments started to cotton on to the fact that adults also respond well to being talked to (or written to, I guess) as if they're mentally deficient children, and suddenly I was in demand for all kinds of things.

But as I say, none of this is really important. Or ever was.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

60.3K 1K 38
"How could you say such a thing?" He asks. "When you have lost everything, including hope; Life becomes a disgrace and death a duty." Highest Ranking...
21.1K 809 26
MAYA, a girl who goes through life with an unwavering smile-around other people that is. While juggling four jobs to support her father and a side ho...
All in my Mind Par BomPom

Fiction générale

2.2K 253 37
Alexander Jones was 17 when things started going wrong. Then the trigger event happened. Now Alex is almost 20 and he's definitely still dealing wit...
7 0 1
𝘔𝘦𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘧𝘢𝘥𝘦. 𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮. {𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐌𝐄𝐑: 𝒔𝒖!𝒄!𝒅𝒆, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒅𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒄 �...