the boy on the bridge ✔️

By fragmented-

"Are you going to jump off the bridge now or not?" "Are you going to stop me if I said yes?" "Of course not... More

info
0. 'perfect' boy
1. bridge boy
2. jump boy
3. school boy
4. golden boy
5. doubt boy
6. confused boy
7. smile boy
8. ex boy
9. skip boy
10. song boy
11. cage boy
12. dumb boy
13. room boy
14. family boy
15. alive boy
16. oh boy
~playlist~
17. caught boy
~thank you~
~q&a 1.0(part uno)~
~q&a 1.0 (part dos)~
18. lonely boy
19. bakery boy
20. talk boy
22. friends boy
23. cry boy
24. out boy
25. diner boy
26. sneaky boy
27. tell boy
28. advice boy
29. like boy
30. nervous boy
31. date boy
32. cookies boy
33.1. boyfriend boy
33.2. boyfriend boy
34. movie boy
35. father boy
36. cinderella boy
37. where boy
38. ready boy
39. meet boy
40. proud boy
41. gay boy
42. dinner boy
43. aunts boy
44. hurt boy
45. forget boy
46. flashback boy
47. comeback boy
48. okay boy
49. sorry boy
50. left boy
51. work boy
52. go boy
53. dance boy
54. forgive boy
55. back boy
56. finally boy
~q&a 2.0~
~thank you, one last time~ & ~sequel announcement~
BONUS CHAPTER I
BONUS CHAPTER II
BONUS CHAPTER III
BONUS CHAPTER IV
BONUS CHAPTER V

21. confront boy

33K 2.2K 2.2K
By fragmented-

Chapter 21 — confront boy

Josh's car is parked outside Dolce — the bakery he came across Elliot the other day. It has been exactly 27 minutes since Josh reached the place and stopped his car, but he is yet to get out of his car and enter the bakery. Under some mystical unexplainable influence, he drove straight to the bakery after school, but now that he is there, he has no idea or whatsoever what to do next. He doesn't even know what to say when, or if, he meets the boy.

Talk, that has been Ming's advice to him and at the time it seemed simple enough that he had just nodded his head stupidly and agreed. But talk to him about what?

Sure, Ming had suggested that he directly ask him why he hadn't been at the bridge if that bothered him so much, but also, no, he can't ask that. Can he?

Josh checks the time again. Now it's been half an hour and he is still sitting in his car like a dumb, helpless idiot. He doesn't even know if the boy is in the bakery.

He has been eyeing the shop's window ever since he reached the place but so far, he hasn't been able to spot anyone. However, he is sure someone has to be working at the shop since it's open and there has been a steady flow of customers in and out since his arrival — someone has to be tending to them. Only thing he doesn't know is if it is the bridge boy or someone else.

Josh lets out a sharp exhale, shaking his head and muttering under his breath, "This is stupid. So stupid. I should at least go in and see if he's there,"

And with that decision made, Josh begins to form a rough plan in his head instead of moronically heading into the shop and react like a deer caught in the headlights (refer: his first visit to the bakery).

So, there are two possible scenarios that can take place if he goes into the shop:

1) He walks into the bakery, he sees Elliot and he confronts him — regarding what exactly, he decides he will circle back to this later.

2) Or if Elliot isn't there, he will just pretend he went in to purchase something and just get out.

No big deal.

However, his heart has picked up its pace just from thinking the possible scenarios. He adds another option as well — a way, way easier option compared to the other two.

3) He can always drive back to his house and go to his room and stay there and pretend none of this ever happened. No one has to know anything.

Frustrated with himself and his indecisiveness, Josh groans out loud, hitting his head on the steering wheel, which accidentally leads him to pressing the car horn.

"Duffing hell," Josh yells just as the horn sounds off, sitting up.

He wishes he hadn't.

Because the window that showed no one on the other side didn't quite stay so. He is there now. Elliot is there, at the window shop with narrowed eyes, clearly inspecting the honking. Josh quickly ducks back down, however, unfortunately his head once again hits the steering wheel, and the horn goes off.

"Fudging fudge," he semi-curses, wishing he can actually curse, moving away from the steering wheel.

He wasn't sure if the boy had seen him before, but this time he can be one hundred percent sure he has caught the latter's attention with his absolute impeccable gracefulness. Josh risks a glance at the window and there he still is; the bridge boy at the window, now looking at his direction with an expression that is caught somewhere between confusion and surprise — he can't really tell.

Elliot offers him a small wave, his lips quirking up. Josh can only nod in return, quickly shifting his eyes to the ignition, focusing on getting his car keys as if his very life depended on that small task.

"Well here goes nothing," Josh mutters as he finally gets out of his car.

His safe option is gone now. He can't drive back to his house unnoticed anymore since Elliot has seen him. But he still can drive away really; there is nothing stopping him — actually he wants to drive away, especially after making his presence known ever so graciously.

It is just that he already drove there and wasted half an hour sitting in his car, he doesn't want all that to be for nothing. And also, Josh really wants to end all the confusion brewing in his mind — he can't possibly take it any longer.

Encouraging himself, he makes his way into the shop, Josh doesn't have to do anything to make his presence known — anything more at least. And neither does the bell that rings jingles when he opens the bakery's door. Elliot is already looking intently at the door.

"Josh," Elliot calls out his name is surprise — the blond doesn't fail to register the lack of his nickname.

In fact, Josh can't remember a single time Elliot has called by his name — it has always been golden boy. Josh can't help but feel a little... stung by it. Or maybe he is just reading a lot into things that probably doesn't even matter a lot; he tends to do that a lot, and especially wherever it concerns this particular boy who is standing before him.

"You're here," Elliot states the very obvious.

"I'm here," Josh corresponds anyway as if he will disappear otherwise.

"So...um," the curly-haired boy scratches the back of his ear unsurely and Josh listens in closely, holding his breath for what he might have to say — he is completely cheated though when Elliot only asks, "Shall I get you anything?"

Like he's just another customer. Like they haven't talked in days. Like he doesn't even care.

Josh tries to ignore the lump that has formed at his throat, and forces out a, "No,"

Elliot nods and looks around, his eyes never staying on Josh for more than a few seconds, "Okay, so..."

Suddenly this all feels wrong. Very wrong. And Josh doesn't want to be there anymore. He shouldn't even have come in the first place. Why did he have to talk to Ming? Why did he have to listen to her? Why did he have to see him?

Stupid. Stupid. So stupid.

He shakes his head, and takes a step back, "This, um..." he shakes his head more forcibly and takes one last look at the curly-haired boy, "Nothing. I just... I'm gonna go. Bye," with that he turns around and rushes out.

He hears or maybe he thinks he hears Elliot call after him but Josh doesn't stop. He makes his way to the car, his eyes burning from pure embarrassment and also this feeling of being cheated. He wishes he had the power to be back in his room in just a split second.

But before Josh can actually leave — he must have only taken a couple of steps out of the bakery, a hand reaches and tugs at his wrist, forcing him to stop.

"Wait," it's Elliot again.

Maybe it'll be better if Josh just left instead of possibly subjecting himself to more hurt, and the old Josh would have done just that — he was never good at confrontation anyways — but still, something in him made him want to stop and hear him out.

Taking in a deep breath, he turns around and wills himself to gather a little courage before looking up at him, into his eyes. Josh cannot ignore the shock when he realises the green of his eyes doesn't hold the usual intensity they usually do. Instead they look toned down, almost exhausted.

Only then, Josh is pulled out of his own woe-is-me state and properly looks at the boy before him — his face looks sunken in, and there are prominent dark circles under his eyes, and he has always been skinny, but he looks even more skinnier right then.

Elliot gives him a little smile, but it barely reaches his eyes.

He looks just as bad as Josh, if not worse.

Clearly there is something going on with him. And maybe that's why he didn't show up at the bridge. He realises this much. But also this teeny whiny voice at the back of his head still makes him wonder if Elliot didn't really want to see him, and that maybe he is making it worse by being there right then.

Josh slowly pulls his wrist from Elliot's hold and takes a step back, clearing his throat, putting some more distance between them. And just before he looks away, he catches how the already small smile on his lips becomes even smaller at Josh's distance.

Josh forces himself to not think how he feels about that. It's already too much seeing Elliot, and having him stand before him; he can't add anything more to that. He decides to focus on things one by one. For now, he is going to wait and see if Elliot has anything to say to him after all; if he doesn't, Josh is going to leave and not look back no matter how much hard it is.

Elliot takes a deep breath and exhales sharply. He does this one more time before saying, "You can't just show up and leave like that. Not again,"

Josh's eyebrows rise more than an inch, not expecting that at all. Yes, he did leave rather abruptly the other day, but has he forgotten how he is the one who stopped showing up to the bridge in the first place?

The blond doesn't say anything out loud though, keeping his eyes on the brunet before him, waiting for him to continue. Surely, he must have more to say. But apparently not.

Josh stifles a scoff, and shakes his head — he really should stop expecting so much and then be sad when he is inevitably let down.

"I'm sorry," Josh doesn't even know what he is apologising for — he only knows he wants to get out of there as fast as he can, "I won't come here again,"

He starts to turn around but is once again stopped when Elliot quickly replies.

"Really? That's why you came here all the way here for — to say sorry?"

"I don't know," Josh cries out and then stops himself, fisting both of his hands, digging his nails into the palms of his hand and keeping them strictly at his sides. He takes a few deep breaths, trying to control his overwhelming emotions, before continuing in a more controlled manner, "I... What do you want me to say?" he decides on finally.

"What you came here to tell me," Elliot answers without missing a beat.

"I don't why I came here, okay. It's clearly a mistake, so I'm just going to leave," Josh cannot look at him anymore; his eyes are burning so much. He fixes his gaze on the gravel.

"A mistake?"

He lifts his shoulder, "That's what you think, isn't it?"

"No. Of course not," and then after a few seconds, "Josh, will you look at me?"

He wants to shake his head no, but something about his voice makes him do otherwise. He takes in a deep breath, before slowly lifting his gaze until he met the other boy's green eyes. They aren't quite as dull now, but they still aren't the eyes he is used to either. There is something missing in them, and Josh just can't figure out what.

"I–," Elliot starts to say something but is interrupted by someone calling him.

"Elio," it's a woman from the bakery — his owner, Josh thinks, "What are you doing out there? There are customers in here waiting for you,"

"Yeah, I'll be with you in a sec," he yells back at her, before turning to Josh, "I, um–" he scratches the back of his head, looking between Josh and the bakery.

Josh lets out a low sigh, "It's okay, go," and starts to turn around.

"Hey," he grabs Josh's wrist once again before the blond can leave, "I'll be there tonight,"

Of course, he doesn't have to clarify where there is. And Josh wishes he can believe him, he really does, but he just can't. He won't.

But still, he puts on a smile and nods. And then, he leaves.

⋘⋙

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114K 4.4K 27
I'm Finn Vasco but that's not quite important right now. I'm a pretty sarcastic guy if I'm gonna be honest. I'm closed off and I literally only have...
970 39 3
What if you committed suicide one day. After just one horrible day that set you off. You know, the bullies and the mean classmates who want to help b...
1.3K 280 63
Why does life come with so many different possible answers to the same question? Which answer is the correct one and how do you know for sure? Findi...
5.1K 222 32
'This couldn't happen' this Is just a fucking dream how can be a mate with the same sexuality I am a fucky guy for God's Sake. 'I AM Not A GAY' I am...