Don't Give Up

By RiceLover

"I'm pregnant." and "I never cared." are two deadly sentences that Aerial Mason never wants anyone to say to... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Information

Chapter 25

116K 3.9K 855
By RiceLover

Chapter 25

                Alex wasn’t exactly happy during the rest of the Christmas morning, until we had to go to his father’s house for dinner. Alex’s mother called us to tell us to get dressed, and I was debating on whether or not to wear something casual or formal. I knew Alex’s father wasn’t exactly on the average side when it came to money, in fact, he was higher than average.

                “Don’t worry too much about what you want to wear.” Alex’s mother poked her head into Alex’s room, sporting a scoop neck, cherry red dress that went just past her knees. She was wearing a pair of elegant pearl earrings with a matching pearl necklace. 

                She looked rather beautiful.

                I nodded, as I decided to wear a simple black dress that went just a few inches above the knee, and had laced sleeves a few inches past my elbows. I paired it with a pair of red ballet flats, since I knew I would be tripping all night if I decided to wear heels.

                “That looks lovely.” Alex’s mother gave me a small smile. “Tell Alex I’ll be waiting for you two in the car outside.”

                She stepped out of the room, as I quickly scrunched up my wavy curls that I took the time to do an hour ago. A few days before Christmas, Clarice presented me with a new tube of blood red lipstick. I swiped it across my lips, giving me quite an exotic look. I smiled at myself in the mirror, thinking of how proud Clarice would be if she saw how put together I looked without her help.

                “Alex.” I knocked on the bathroom door, where I had last seen him. “Your mother is waiting in the car.”

                I heard Alex muttered something I could understand. I knocked again, and this time, Alex swung open the door, looking annoyed and irritated.

                He was wearing a buttoned down black shirt, tucked into a pair of black trousers. I licked my lips, loving the way he looked in a dress shirt.

                “Can you help me put this tie on? I’ve been trying for the past half hour.” He grumbled, a loose red tie hanging around his neck.

                I bit back a laugh, as I nodded. I stood closer to Alex, as I began to wrap the tie around his neck. I felt his shoulders tense when my fingers brushed against his chest, as I held in a deep blush that matched the color of his tie.

                “There,” I breathed, pulling the tie tighter around him, “all done.”

                Alex gulped, as he nodded. “Thanks.” His warm breath tickled my cheek, as I adverted my gaze down to my red flats.

                “Let’s go.” I mumbled, already turning to head out of the bathroom. “We’re already running late.”

                As I began to walk down the hallways, towards the stairs to go down, Alex called out my name softly. “Aerial, wait.”

                I turned around, raising an eyebrow. “Yeah?”

                Alex let a small smile slip across his lips. “You look beautiful.”

*

                Two hours later, we arrived at Alex’s father’s house, which was all the way across town. It would’ve taken us a shorter time if there wasn’t such traffic today.

                Before we got in, Alex’s mother turned to us from the driver’s seat with a stern look across her features. “Before we go in, let’s set some ground rules, okay?” she said with a firm tone.

                Alex groaned, rolling his eyes. “Great.” He muttered sarcastically.

 “Absolutely no starting a fight with your father tonight and you must be polite to everyone,” She sighed, “including his new wife.”

                “You’ve got to be kidding me.” Alex muttered under his breath. “Isn’t that slut like twenty?”

                Alex’s mother shot Alex a glare. “Watch your mouth.” She snapped, before clearing her throat. “And she’s twenty three, for your information.”

                Alex grumbled, as we got out of the car. My foot landed into a mushy pile of snow, as Alex’s mother got a sparkly gift bag out of the back. “What did you get for their family?” I asked, eyeing the suspiciously large bag.

               Alex’s mother shrugged, fixing up the red tissue paper that stuck out. “Just a set of fine China plates.” She paused. “And a few toys for the kids.”

                I nodded, as we walked up to the front porch of the house. We faced a French door with glass windows, as Alex jabbed the doorbell with his index finger.

                Seconds later, Alex’s father appeared by the doorway, opening the door for us to come in. He had a grin across his face, but I could tell that it was only from the empty glass of wine he had between his fingertips.

                “Arlene,” Alex’s father gave Alex’s mother a tight smile, shaking her hands, “thank you for coming tonight.”

                I could hear a bunch of chatter coming from what I assumed to be the living room. There was a bright light coming from down the hall, and I could hear various voices speaking at once, and glasses clinking against each other.

                “Son, it’s nice of you to come today.” Alex’s father patted Alex on the back.

                Alex flinched at his touch, as he clenched his jaw. Alex gave him a cold look, before speaking. “I wish I could say the same about you, but I can’t.” he said in a low voice.

                Alex’s mother gasped, as she gave Alex a hard nudge on the elbow. “Alex, be polite.” She reminded him, as Alex stared at the velvet carpeting below us.

                “And I don’t think we’ve been properly introduced yet.” Alex’s father turned to me, holding his large hand out for me to shake. “I’m Alex’s father, as you already know. But, you can call me Roger.”

                I shook his hand, noticing how much of a tight and firm squeeze he had. I winced, as I pulled my hand away. “I’m Aerial, Alex’s girlfriend.”

                Roger raised an eyebrow, turning to Alex with a curious expression, before facing me once again. “Say, how much do your parents make annually?”

                I blinked, as Alex glared at Roger with much fury and hatred. I gulped, as I licked my dry lips. As I opened my mouth to tell him that my father didn’t make much, Alex’s mother cut in between us.

                “Roger, where’s your wife?” she asked, saving me. “I’d like to see her.”

                Roger let out a loud laugh, as he began to lead Alex’s mother to the kitchen. I let out a breath of relief when I realized that I didn’t have to be pressured into answering anything.

                “Sorry about him.” Alex muttered. “He’s kind of a selfish dick that only cares about money.”

                I gave him a small smile with reassurance. “Don’t worry about it.” I paused, taking his hand into mine. At first, Alex felt tense, but as soon as I gave him a small squeeze, he relaxed. “Do you want to go to the living room? It sounds like all the guests are there.”

                Alex groaned. “I don’t really want to, but-“

                I dragged Alex to the living room, passing by mirrors with golden frames, and marble statues. I couldn’t help but wonder just how loaded Alex’s father was.

                As we entered the living room, we were instantly hit with the aroma of strong perfume and thick red wine.

                A server came towards us with a platter in his hands, offering us a glass of wine. I shook my head immediately, and when Alex noticed my foul reaction to the alcohol, he rejected, as well.

                “You know, you don’t have to stop drinking because of me.” I pointed out to him.

                “I’m not doing it for you, Aerial.” He snapped.

                I bit my lower lip, noticing how Alex wasn’t in his happiest mood today. In fact, he was acting kind of stuck up and rude.

                I was about to tell him off when I heard a girl squealing in our direction. My head snapped around, as I faced a tall and thin blonde with a sun kissed tan even in the winter. She was wearing a golden dress that was covered in sparkles from the deep, low cut in the chest to the hem that reached just below her butt.

                “Alex, it’s you, darling!” she beamed, wrapping her arms around Alex to give him a tight embrace.

                I raised an eyebrow between them two, as Alex pulled away from her. She turned to me with a grin across her full lips, opening her arms for me. Before I got to react, she gave me a bone crushing hug, as I struggled to breathe due to the lack of oxygen and the fact that she smelt like she had poured an entire bottle of perfume on herself.

                When we pulled away, the girl beamed, clapping her hands together. “I heard Alex got a new girlfriend, so I just had to come meet her!”

                I raised an eyebrow, blinking. “I’m sorry, but do I know you?”

                The blonde clamped a hand over her full lips, as she gasped. “Oh my gosh, I am so sorry! I totally forgot to introduce myself.” She paused, sticking out her manicured hand for me to shake. “I’m Lucille Montgomery.”

                I frowned, as I shook her hand with a weak smile. “Montgomery? Are you Alex’s sister?”

                Lucille let out a high pitched laugh, shaking her head. “My God, you really think I’m that young?” she gushed, turning to Alex. “She’s is a total keeper, Alex. But no, I’m not Alex’s sister.”

                “Cousin?” I asked.

                Lucille shook her blonde head of hair, giving me a bashful smile. “I’m Alex’s step-mother.”

                My eyes widened, as I stared at her with disbelief.

                This was the twenty three year old woman that was Roger Montgomery’s wife? I choked back on my saliva, as Lucille patted me on the back roughly.

                Oh God, was that even legal?

                Roger had to be at least thirty years older than Lucille!

                “Honey, are you okay?” she stared at me with a worried expression. “Let me go ask one of the waiters to get you a glass of water.”

                Lucille left us, leaving a trail of golden glitter behind her from her sparkly dress that was flaking. Once she was out of earshot, I turned to Alex with a gawk on my face.

                “That’s who your dad married?” I asked. “That’s unbelievable!”

                “Believe it.” Alex muttered, shaking his head. “It’s ridiculous, I know.”

                I gave him a small smile. “Well, at least it wasn’t one of your secret girlfriends. You know how jealous I got when she ran up to you with a hug?”

                Alex let out a short laugh, as I smiled. It was the first time I’ve seen him smile since we got here, and it was pretty good feeling that I was the one to make him smile.

                The rest of the night was alright. Alex and I made sure to stay clear away from Lucille and Roger, and any of the teenage girls that were daughters of Roger’s friends. They were all swooning over Alex, and giving me death glares when they saw that the two of us were holding hands.

                They shot me glares with their freckled faces, and popped their bubble gum obnoxiously with their braced teeth.

                It was finally the end of the night when everyone cleared out. Lucille was upstairs taking a shower, and the kids had fallen asleep hours ago.

                The three of us were about to leave when Roger stopped us midway. He had an envelope in his hands, as he handed it to Alex. “Son, this is your Christmas present.” He said. “Open it, now.”

                Alex stared at the bright red envelope curiously, as he tore off the envelope. Inside was a cheesy Christmas card with a snowman on the cover. When Alex lifted it open, his eyes widened.

                “Dad,” he paused, “plane tickets to France?”

                Roger nodded, as Alex’s mother gave him a glare. “What are you trying to do by sending my kid tickets to France, Roger?” she hissed.

                Roger ignored Alex’s mother, as he swung an arm around Alex. He patted him on the back, as he held the tickets out in front of him. “I recently bought a condo in France. Since you’re going off to college soon, I figured that you should come live with me. I have a friend there who is the Dean of one of France’s most prestigious universities. I could help you get in if you come to stay with me.”

                Alex’s mother’s eyes widened, as she gasped. “Roger, don’t you even dare try to take my son away from me.”

                Roger glared at her, rolling his eyes. “Let Alex decide. He’s eighteen, for crying out loud.”

                I was silent the entire time, still feeling numb.

                I mean, how couldn’t I feel broken and disappointed?

                There was a possibility that Alex was going to leave me and go off to a different country.

                “Alex.” Alex’s mother said in a warning tone. “Don’t go.”

                I refused to look at Alex in the eye, even though I knew he was trying his best to get me to look at him. I just couldn’t. The offer to France sounded great, but I was being selfish.

                I didn’t want to let go of my Alex.

                The Alex that I love so much.

                “I,” Alex muttered, sighing, “I need to think about it.”

                I gulped.

                No.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 43 67
These are a collection of letters to people that I will never send. They just sum up my thoughts and feelings about how awesome, annoying, and weird...
100K 2.9K 46
Rainbowdash is convinced she doesn't need a man in her life nor does she want a love life. So why does she feel these weird, confusing feelings with...
219K 11.7K 17
"I just watched you almost take your last breath. Man, I can't do this without you anymore. I need you." - T.B. Once you fall in love, it's imposs...
4.7K 128 18
**𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐄!** Grayson has kept his feelings for his best friend's little sister buried for as long as he could remember. She was off-limits f...