A Source's Existence

By lucyluellen

[BOOK ONE] Two who appear to be completely different people turn out to be exactly the same... 19-year-old E... More

1 - Sawyer
2 - Eli
3 - Sawyer
4 - Sawyer
5 - Sawyer
6 - Eli
7 - Sawyer
8 - Sawyer
9 - Eli
10 - Sawyer
11 - Eli
12 - Jamie
13 - Jamie
14 - Sawyer
15 - Jamie
16 - Eli
17 - Sawyer
18 - Jamie
19 - Grace
20 - Lillette
21 - Lillette
22 - Eli
23 - Sawyer
24 - Eli
25 - Sawyer
26 - Jamie
27 - Levin
29 - Sawyer
30 - Lillette
31 - Sawyer
32 - Eli
33 - Sawyer
34 - Jamie
35 - Lillette
36 - Eli
37 - Jamie
38 - Sawyer
39 - Lillette
40 - Jamie
41 - Eli
42 - Eli
43 - Eli
44 - Jamie
45 - Lillette
46 - Sawyer
47 - Sawyer
48 - Sawyer
49 - Tyler
50 - Laura
51 - Lillette
52 - Laura
53 - Lillette
54 - Eli
55 - Grace
56 - Sawyer
57 - Jamie
58 - Jamie
59 - Sawyer
60 - Sawyer
61 - Sawyer
62 - Sawyer
63 - Eli
64 - Sawyer
65 - Sawyer
66 - Sawyer
67 - Eli
68 - Sawyer
69 - Jamie
Epilogue - Unknown

28 - Eli

55 10 3
By lucyluellen

Sawyer  has  had  my  arm  slinged  around  her  shoulder  for  almost  an  hour  trying  to  get  back  up  to  my  house.  We're  close  now,  but  right  now,  I'm  honestly  pretty  freaked  out  by  Sawyer. 

She  told  me  not  to  move,  and  be  quiet,  and  it  looked  like  the  police  didn't  even  see  us!  Like  she  somehow  pulled  some  trick  on  them  to  make  us  think  we're  not  there?

I  haven't  asked  her  any  questions  on  the  way  here,  because  what  she  did  is  awesome  and  spooky  and  magical  at  the  same  time  and... 

Wait  a  second... 

"Okay,  here  we  are."  says  Sawyer.  We've  arrived  at  the  back  of  my  home,  seeing  the  ledge  and  the  hidden  stepds.  I  take  my  arm  off  her  shoulder  positioning  my  bad  leg  off  of  the  ground.

"Thanks  for  getting  me  home.  You  can  go  home  now."  I  say.  Her  eyes  give  me  a  look. 

"No  way,  I  have  to  treat  that  leg  if  you  won't  go  to  the  doctor."  she  says.  I  scoff,  already  getting  annoyed  with  her.

"I  can  treat  it  myself!  I'm  sure  I  can  figure  it  out."  I  say. 

"Really?  Even  when  you've  done  nothing  for  it  for  the  past  two  days?"  says  Sawyer.

"Since  when  do  you  know  medical  related  incidents,  Sawyer?"  I  ask.  She  waves  her  hands  around,  telling  me  she  doesn't  know  what  to  say  at  first. 

"I  mean...  I  don't.  But...  I  have...  I'll  know  what  to  do."  she  says. 

"You'll  know  what  to  do,  even  though  you  literally  just  told  be  you  don't  know  this  stuff."  I  say.  Sawyer  sighs  annoyed  and  her  eyes  roll.

"Listen!  It's  hard  to  explain,  especially  when  you  don't  understand  it,  but  I  have......  this...  talent...  that  helps  me  know  things  when  I've  had  no  experience.  It's...  something...  I've  always  been  able  to  do."  says  Sawyer. 

That...  literally  makes  no  sense. 

"But  Eli...  sometimes  you  just  have  to  accept  the  only  options  you  have.  You  know  sometimes  you  can  be  in  shark  infested  waters  and  your  options  aren't  just  to  sit  there,  because  you  won't  get  anywhere!  You  have  to  swim!  If  you  don't  wanna  lose  your  leg,  or  maybe  even...  die  from  it...  your  only  option  is...  the  hospital."  says  Sawyer. 

I  stare  at  her. 

I  mean,  it  would  suck  to  lose  my  leg  or  even  die. 

"You  won't  get  recognized  by  anyone.  I  promise."  she  says.  I  sigh,  giving  her  a  look. 

"That's  not  something  to  promise,  because  they  will.  Here  in  this  city,  I'm  famous  for  being  a  criminal.  There  are  pictures  of  me  hung  up  on  bulletin  boards  in  pretty  much  every  building,  telling  everyone  that  I'm  wanted  from  the  police.  They  will  recognize  me."  I  say. 

"No  they  won't.  You're  gonna  be  fine.  Okay?  They're  not  gonna  recognize  you."  says  Sawyer. 

"Listen  Sawyer.  There's  nothing  you  can  do  to  make  me  go  to  the  hospital.  Now  please.  I'm  not  asking.  Go  home."  I  say.  She  makes  a  thinking  face,  clearly  by  the  look  of  her  eyes,  since  a  lot  of  her  face  is  covered  from  the  weird  mask,  and  then  looks  at  me.

"Sawyer  come  on,  I─" 

I  suddenly  feel  the  need  to  stop  myself  in  mid  sentence,  and  I  all  of  a  sudden  don't  want  her  to  go  home  anymore.  And  start  thinking  stuff  completely  different. 

Sawyer  is  staring  at  me  deeply. 

I  now  suddenly  feel  the  urge  to  go  to  the  hospital.  I  don't  know  why,  but  now  I  feel,  or  maybe  even  know,  that  no  one  will  recognize  me  if  I  go.

Now  I  all  of  a  sudden  think  that  I  will  be  completely  safe,  and  no  one  will  catch  me. 

"You  want  to  go  to  the  doctor."  says  Sawyer  in  a  monotone  voice. 

My  mind  marks  those  words,  and  is  repeated  into  my  thoughts,  and  I  now  want  to  go  to  the  doctor.

"Okay  Sawyer...  let's  go."  I  weirdly  say.  She  nods,  not  looking  surprised  that  I  somehow  changed  my  mind.  And  now  I'm  walking  beside  her. 

Why  did  I  change  my  mind  that  fast?  It's  like  something  convinced  it  and  controlled  it. 

Weird... 

*  *  * 

I  don't  know  what  made  me  want  to  come  in,  or  even  change  my  mind.  Sawyer's  been  in  the  waiting  room.  It  seems  like  people  haven't  been  recognizing  me  ever  since  I  walked  in  here. 

One  person  even  started  to  say  something  like,  "Hey  are  you─",  but  then  they  stopped  and  just  smiled  at  me,  and  Sawyer  acted  like  it  was  nothing,  or  even  weird. 

She's  definitely  not  the  person  I  expected  her  to  be  the  first  time  I  saw  her.  She's  whiny  and  demanding  and  incredibly  tenacious,  and  I don't  understand  that  because  I've  only  known  her  for  a  few  days,  and  she  acts  that  way  towards  a  stranger?

That's  when  the  doctor  comes  in,  carrying  paperwork,  and  a  weird  black,  soft  looking  boot.  She  looks  at  me  smiling. 

"Well?"  I  ask. 

"Good  news.  Despite  your  limping  and  pain,  it's  a  small  fracture  in  the  tibia  and  a  spain  on  the  ankle  only.  All  you'll  need  is  a  boot  for  a  few  weeks,  and  then   you'll  be  out  of  here."  she  says.  I  nod. 

"I  don't  have  the  money  for  this."  I  say.  She  shakes  her  head. 

"There's  no  paying  for  a  boot  in  this  hospital,"  she  says.  Oh.  Well  that's  odd.  "What  did  you  do  to  your  leg  in  the  first  place?"

I  look  up  at  her. 

Oh  right... 

"I  fell  down  the  stairs  at  my  house."  I  lie.  The  doctor  looks  at  me  weirdly,  as  she  takes  the  ice  packs  off  my  leg  an  starts  to  wrap  bandages  around  my  ankle  to  around  my  foot. 

"Must've  been  a  hard  fall  for  a  fracture  and  a  sprain.  Must  be  pretty  high  steps."  says  the  doctor. 

"Yeah."  I  mutter. 

"You  must  be  very  clumsy."  says  the  doctor  finishing  up  the  bandaging.  I  give  her  a  look  for  saying  that. 

"Um..."  I  mutter.  The  doctor  snickers,  getting  the  boot  out,  and  setting  my  foot  inside.

"I'm  just  kidding  you  don't  have  to  answer  that.  I  am  incredibly  clumsy.  My  mother  hated  it  because  I  would  always  drop  things,  like  important  stuff.  Your  mom  ever  scolding  at  you  for  that  kind  of  stuff?"  says  the  doctor.  I  look  up  from  my  foot  and  stare  at  her. 

She  would  be  if  she  was  still  around...  as  well  as  my  dad... 

I  decide  to  stay  silent,  until  she  finishes  putting  on  the  boot.  It's  snug,  and  my  foot  feels  a  lot  more  cooled  down  then  it  was,  and  it  finally  feels  painless  after  two  days  of  horrid  pain. 

I'm  glad  Sawyer  convinced  me  to  go  to  the  doctor.  For  some  reason  she  changed  my  mind  really  quickly.  I  felt  the  need  to  go  to  the  doctor  so  fast,  and  she  didn't  look  surprised  that  my  mind  changed  so  fast  and  everything. 

The  boot  is  now  strapped  tightly  onto  my  leg,  and  the  doctor  then  looks  up  at  me. 

"You're  all  set  to  go  Eli.  But  take  that  crutch  on  the  way  out.  It  may  hurt  to  walk  in  it  for  a  few  days.  I'll  see  you  in  a  week."  she  says  getting  up  and  walking  over  to  the  sink.

"Okay."  I  step  down  from  the  counter.  I  look  over  at  the  crutch  standing  by  the  doorway.  There's  no  way  I  wanna  risk  walking  on  this  leg. 

I  hold  out  my  hand,  tighten  my  fingers,  and  focus  on  the  crutch  standing  at  the  corner.  I  lock  the  wires  connecting  to  the  mysterious  sensor  in  my  brain  to  the  crutch. 

And  the  crutch  flings  over  to  me,  and  I  swiftly  grab  it  with  my  hand,  and  put  it  under  my  arm,  and  walk  out  of  the  doctor's  office. 

Yeah...  I  should  tell  Sawyer  about  that  talent  of  mine.  But  she  should  explain  first  on  what  the  hell  she  may  have  done  to  make  the  cops  not  see  us. 

I  walk  down  to  the  waiting  room,  and  see  her  sitting  there.  Like  I  said.  Incredibly  tenacious.  I  walk  with  the  crutch  over  to  her,  and  give  her  a  look  as  I  meet  her  eyes. 

"Isn't  this  a  nice  surprise?"  I  say  to  her.  She  looks  up  at  me,  by  the  look  of  her  eyes,  she  smiles,  from  under  that  mask  covering  her  face. 

"I  told  you,"  she  says  standing  up  and  crossing  her  arms.  "Do  you  wanna  go  back  to  your  house  now?" 

"No  duh,"  I  say  to  her.  "Maybe  on  the  way  there,  you  can  tell  me  what  you  did  back  at  the  cliff."

She  looks  at  me  like  she  does  not  wanna  talk  about  that. 

"Oh..."  she  mutters.  "See  that...  is  something...  that's  best  not  to  share."

I  instantly  get  upset. 

"What  do  you  mean  that's  something  best  not  to  share?  You  told  me  not  to  move,  and  the  cops  didn't  see  us?  Like  you  knew  they  weren't  gonna  see  us  and  we  were  right  out  in  the  open!  Sawyer  you  need  to  get  me  some  answers."  I  say  to  her.  She  looks  around  at  everyone  else,  because  I've  started  to  raise  my  voice. 

"We  should  take  this  outside,"  she  says  quieter.  She  starts  walking  to  the  doors  of  the  hospital.  I  follow  after  her.  Once  we  open  the  doors,  we  immediately  stand  face  to  face  and  start  arguing.  "I  would  tell  you,  but  you  wouldn't  believe  me  because  it  sounds  incredibly  fake  and  stupid  to  someone  as  ignorant  as  you  are!" 

I  laugh. 

"Oh  my  God!  You're  acting  like  you  know  me  well  enough  to  know  that!  We've  known  each  other  for  two  days  Sawyer,  you  hear  me?  Two  days!  And  I'm  already  getting  suspicious  about  not  only  you,  but  whatever  you  did  to  make  those  cops  not  see  us!  You  don't  understand  me  yet!"  I  yell.  She  glares  at  me. 

"Yeah  well  you  don't  either.  And  I  know  you  never  will.  Because  this  a  city  full  of  bad  people  and  criminals,  and  I've  met  a  criminal  who  breaks  the  law  and  runs  from  the  police  for  no  reason."  she  says.  I  stare  at  her,  thinking  I  don't  know  what  to  say  next,  but  yet  a  whole  new  wave  of  words  come  to  me.

"You're  right.  I  don't  understand  you,"  I  say.  Her  eyes  look  surprised  when  I  say  that.  "You  wear  a  mask  over  your  face,  for  no  apparent  reason  because  the  reason  you  told  me  why  you  wear  that  stupid  mask  is  because  you've  stayed  inside  your  whole  life  which  made  your  immune  system  weak?  Yeah!  That's  damn  right  false  and  you  might  even  be  wearing  that  mask  for  attention!  And  then  you  pull  me  from  the  waters,  rant  at  me  to  go  to  the  hospital  and  then  use  some  sort  of  magic  trick  to  make  us  invisible  and  you  won't  even  tell  me  about  it  because  it's  apparently  something  you  never  tell  people!  And  you  know  what  that  makes  you  Sawyer?  It  makes  you  a  goddamn  bullshitter  for  not  only  acting  like  you  know  me  well  enough  to  just  know  me  in  general,  but  you  telling  me  that  you  are  a  person  who  keeps  things  to  herself!  Your  face  and  your  magic  tricks  listed."

She  looks  up  at  me,  with  heaps  of  water  hanging  on  her  eyelids. 

"You...  don't...  even...  know  the  first  about  me..."  she  mutters.  I  stare  at  her,  so  ready  to  just  walk  away  from  her  and  not  look  back.  I  look  around,  annoyed,  and  then  look  back  at  her.

"Neither  do  you."  I  say.  She  shakes  her  head  and  looks  away  from  me. 

"Well...  I  guess  we  really  just  don't  know  who  the  other  is  yet..."  she  says,  almost  a  whisper.

"There's  no  'yet',  Sawyer.  Because  I  never  want  to  see  you  again."  I  say.

She  looks  up  at  me,  a  tear  falling  from  her  eye.  I  start  to  walk  backward,  and  then  turn  around,  walking  with  the  crutch  away.  I  feel  the  urge  to  look  back,  but  I  just  keep  on  walking,  trying  to  throw  it  all  away. 

Trying  to  see  if  I'll  be  able  to  throw  this  girl  out  of  my  life,  or  if  I'll  even  be  able  to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

720K 30.8K 44
What if everything you knew about yourself was a lie? Mildred "Mills" Millhatten had a good life: close-knit family, fantastic friends, decent grades...
317K 22.7K 44
*Previously Featured* Wren's first day at her new school is a twisted kind of day--in other words, anything but ordinary. With Kellan and Jaxon battl...
823 47 26
As a Cursed elf, one born with no magic, Edwyr has been forced to live among humans for over ten years. He doesn't mind his job of defending the town...
87 2 9
Waking up face down in mud sucks any day of the week. But coming around in the sludge of a strange realm...? Well, that just redefines a bad day alto...