Street Love (An Interracial L...

Oleh writingutensils

Street Love is the relationship between Evette Johnson (an African American teen) and Antonio Cortez (who is... Lebih Banyak

Street Love (An Interracial Love Story)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Epilogue
And that's a wrap!!
Shameless Advertising

Chapter 11

18.5K 730 566
Oleh writingutensils

Evie's POV

"Did you get me anything Evie?!" Donny comes running up to me as soon as I open the front door.

"Oh. Yes!" I pull out a small action figure that Tony picked out at a comic store in the mall.

"This is awesome!!!" Donny grabs it from me and flies it around the living room. "Thank you Evie." He hugs me then goes running again.

"Tony actually picked it out for you." I slide my shoes off then put my bag in mine and Donny's room.

"Where's mom?" I ask, opening the fridge.

"She left," Donny says, concentrating on his action figure.

"What do you mean she left?"

"She went to work."

I close the fridge then sit down on the couch. "How long have you been alone?"

"Almost as long as you've been gone. She left right after you left."

I freak out and count the hours on the clock. "You've been alone for five hours Donny?!"

Donny shrugs and keeps playing.

I really don't understand my mom sometimes. Donny is only seven years old. He can't be left alone in the kitchen for an hour, let alone home alone for five hours.

The damage is already done and me flipping out isn't helping. I hop in the shower then hang my jacket up in my closet.

"Can you read me a bedtime?" Donny is sitting on my bed, smiling when I get out.

"Sure." I slip on my pijamas while Donny covers his eyes.

"Which book do you wanna read?" I walk over to the small book shelf in our room and scan the books. There aren't that many. And a few of them are books I got from school that are way too advanced for Donny.

"Can we read Corduroy?" Donny asks.

"Sure." I pick the book off the shelf and cuddle with Donny while I read.

Halfway through the story, he falls asleep. Instead of moving him to his bed, I let him sleep with me.

Monday finally rolls around and I feel super tired but I manage to drag myself and Donny out of bed to get us both ready for school. I peek into my mom's bedroom before we leave and see that she's passed out snoring. I walk out the door shaking my head.

I'm gonna work less. I'll be home more.

Whatever mom.

After dropping Donny off at school, I make my way to my high school. I'm so tired that I don't hear my name being called until he's right next to me.

"Evie! Hey negrita. Slow down. I've been calling your name." Tony falls into step with me as I walk to my locker.

"Sorry." I say between yawns. "I'm super tired. My mom was gone all day yesterday and I took Donny to the park.

"Then I had to come home, make dinner and study for the SAT that's coming up next weekend. It was just a long Sunday."

"I see." Tony nods. "You should have just come over. Donny and Emi seem to keep each other occupied."

I grab my literature binder and notebook out of my locker then slam it shut. Tony takes my books from me then we walk towards class.

"I don't wanna intrude. Plus Donny and I had fun. I'm just tired."

Tony nods at his boys as they pass us in the hall and I can't help but roll my eyes.

"What mamas? You don't like my boys?" He laughs."

"It's not that I don't like them. I just think they're up to no good. Keisha told me that Juan is part of Pandilla and is a drug dealer. How horrible is that?"

Tony looks away as we continue walking.

"Maybe he's just doing what he needs to do to get by and support his family."

"There's other ways to support your family Tony. He could go to college, or learn a trade or even start a little business that doesn't involve selling crack and heroin. Next thing you know, he's gonna be in jail or dead."

"You don't know anything Evie." Tony's comment comes out of nowhere. People are too busy rushing through the halls to notice that him and I are standing toe to toe in the hallway.

"Excuse me?" I say.

"You don't know what he goes through at home. I've known Juan for two years now and he deals with so much crap. His two little brothers got put into foster care and his mom is a druggie. You think going to college is on his mind?" Tony gets louder.

"You need to think before you speak. You sound so snobby sometimes. Dealing drugs is his only way of making enough money to get his mom in rehab and his brothers back home."

"Tony. I. I didn't mean to come off that way." I sway back and forth on my feet and the bell rings. For the first time, I ignore the bell and keep standing face to face with Tony. "I'm sorry."

He puts my books on the floor and steps closer to me. "And I'm sorry for getting loud. I just want you to know that for most of us, life isn't what it seems like on the outside. Okay?"

"What do you mean?"

Tony wraps his arms around me. "I mean this is East Side Ev. Kids are gonna do what they gotta do to survive. Whether that means dealing, stripping, prostituting. Ain't nobody in this school care about life outside St. Monica 'cept you."

"And you," I interrupt.

Tony smirks and looks at my lips. "I don't know about that mamacita."

Last week, I thought we were making progress but now I feel like me and Tony are back at square one.

"Yes. You're gonna get out of this ghetto." I stand up straighter to peck his cheek. "And I'm gonna help you. We can start doing some SAT practice tonight actually so you can take the test before the end of this year."

"Geez mamas. One day I'm getting high with my boys and the next, my girlfriend is helping me get read for the TSA."

I laugh. "One: it's SAT. And two: I'm not your girlfriend."

"Mmm." Tony kisses me softly on the lips. "Almost."

When we finally pull apart, I can't get rid of the smile on my face.

"You make me really happy Tony," I say into his chest.

He laughs and kisses the top of my head. "When I'm not drunk you mean."

"Yes. I like you more when you're not drunk."

"I haven't had a bottle since our last study date."

"Really?" I pull away from him and smile. "That's what? Five days? That's awesome Tony!"

"Only for you Evie."

We kiss once more then walk into literature 10 minutes late.

"How was school?" Tony asks Emily and Donny as we walk to his house after picking them up from the after school program. Thankfully, the two of them go to the same school, so it'll be easy for me and Tony to hang out more often.

"It was so fun!" Donny and Emily are walking ahead of us, kicking stones. "I made a rocketship today." Donny is always so happy when we hang out with Tony and Emily.

"And our class made a volcano with Ms. Brown," Emily says. "The vinegar and baking soda made a chemical reaction for the lava to come out."

I smile at how much Emily knows even though she's only five.

When we get to Tony's house, his mom is home and really excited to meet me.

"So this is the Evie you've been talking about mijo?"

"Can you not embarrass me Ma?" he asks.

His mom pinches my cheeks and I smile. "It's nice to meet you Miss." I say, unsure of her last name.

"Call me mama," she says in a Spanish accent. "Or just Ma." I smile knowing it's gonna be awkward to call her either one.

"And this is Donny!" Emily shouts from the front door.

"Ohhh!" Tony's mom runs over to the kids on the floor and entertains them.

"Do you mind if I take Donny out with us to do some errands? I could use the extra help."

Donny looks at me and nods so much, I think his head might fall off.

I laugh and nod too. "Sure. Me and Tony are just gonna do some studying.

The three of them leave and Tony tosses his backpack on the couch. I open the cabinet to find a cup for water and see a half-empty Vodka bottle sitting in front of me.

"That's the—" Tony stops short when he sees me turn around with the bottle in my hand.

"The what? The cabinet where you hide your stash? What is this Tony?"

"It's nothing Evie." Tony avoids my eyes and busies himself with getting food out of the fridge.

"Uh huh. Don't lie to me Tony. When was the last time you drank?"

"Yesterday." Tony mumbles. "Why do you even care? It's none of your business." Tony walks over and grabs the bottle out of my hand. "I don't need you policing my alcohol."

"No Tony. It is my business. You promised to stop." I look at the bottle in his hand. "I'm so stupid." I say that last part under my breath. "You're addicted, aren't you?"

"So what if I am? What's it to you?" Tony grabs the bottle out of my hand, takes a long swig then smiles.

"You're pathetic," I finally say.

Tony smile falls off his face as I slam the cabinet shut and go to put my shoes on.

"Just walk Donny home when they get back. Or if you're too drunk, ask your mom to."

I finally get my shoes on. When I reach for the doorknob, Tony's hand grabs onto mine and he turns me around, pulling me close.

"It's hard Evette," he finally says after a moment. "It's so hard. I start to shake after awhile."

I let him hold me and think about his words. Finally I rest my right hand on his cheek while he holds me.

"You can't quit cold-turkey."

"Cold what?"

"Cold turkey. You can't just cut off your supply of alcohol 'cause you're body is so used to it. Each time you drink, you need to drink less and less."

Tony's eyes light up. "You're saying I can still drink mamas?"

I smack his shoulder. "Not like that." I pull away from him. "Do you have a paper and pen?"

"In my room." Tony walks down the hall and I follow.

The walls in his room are completely empty. No mirror. No photos. No trophies. Nothing. All there is is a bed, a dresser, an empty desk and a closet. It feels so empty.

"Geez Tony. It's like you don't want anyone to know you live here," I say looking around.

Tony laughs. "Nah. It's not like that mamas. I just never had anything to decorate with. Maybe I need to get a picture of you to put on my desk."

I smile at the idea. "Maybe. When we finally get a picture together, I'll give you one."

"Sounds good." Tony pulls a pen and paper out of a backpack I never knew he had.

"How come you never being your backpack to school?" I ask as we sit across from each other on his bed.

"Only dumbasses bring their backpack to school Evie."

"Excuse me?!"

"Sorry. I forget you bring your backpack. All them except you."

"Thanks," I say rolling my eyes. I draw two columns on the paper, one bigger than the other.

"How much do you usually drink in one sitting?"

"Usually a bottle."

"An entire bottle?"

"Yeah."

On the small column on the left I write starting and on the right, I write one bottle."

"Is that a day?"

"Most of the time."

"Okay. I'm gonna make a timeline." And I do. The first few days, I cut his bottles to half, then thirds, then quarters, then cups and at day 60, none.

"Dang Evie. Two months to quit. Isn't that hella long?"

"Not really. Like I said, you gotta start off slow. This way, you won't get the shakes and it'll be easier to let go."

"Okay." Tony takes the paper from me and puts it in the center of his desk. "I'm trusting you."

"Good." I smile and Tony gets back on the bed.

"I should probably get going," I say, suddenly feeling very vulnerable.

"You don't wanna wait for Donny? I can warm you up a couple tamales." Tony puts his hand on my leg and smiles.

"No. I'm good." I slide Tony's hand off me and he slides it right back.

"You're so scared Evie."

"What?" I ask shocked.

"Your whole... body language changed when you got into my room. You got so tense. I'm not... Like that if that's what you're thinking."

"That's. Sorry. Am I being that weird?"

Tony laughs. "Yes actually. Come on." He grabs my hand and we go back to the kitchen. "How many tamales do you want?"

"Two." I open a different cabinet to get myself a glass for water.

"Do you wanna try some horchata?" Tony asks from the stove.

"Sure. I've actually never had it before." Tony drops four tamales into the pot and opens the fridge to take out a pitcher of a white drink. He pours a little in my cup for me to try and it's absolutely delicious. Not too sweet and not too watery.

"This is amazing Tony!" I lick my lips and he pours me more. He laughs as I finish a full glass.

"Gracias." He kisses where my lips meet my cheek. "You have a little horchata left over," he says smiling. I pour myself another glass then sit at the dining table. The tamales are smelling great too.

"¿Quieres salsa caliente?" Tony holds up a big mason jar of green sauce.

"Si. Por favor."

Tony unwraps two tamales for each of us and drops a spoonful of green sauce on each one. He sets a plate in front of me and we dig in.

"Don't tell me you made these." These tamales are even better than the ones I had the other time. And they're pork.

"Si mamas." Tony smiles between bites. "Made them all by myself. My mom does chicken and I do the pork ones."

We eat and talk for another half hour before Donny and Tony's family comes home.

Tony's mom packs us a bag of 50 tamales and gives us a small jar of the green sauce.

"Thanks Ma!" Donny calls on our way out the door. "My other mom is gonna love these!"

Tony's mom blows us a kiss before shutting the door.

We make it home and our mom is nowhere to be seen. It's three hours past six. Three hours past when she said she'd be home every night.

I silently curse my mom then get Donny ready for bed like I always do. Shower, brush teeth, jammies and a bed time story.

When I go to read Donny a book, there is a pile of twenty brand new picture books sitting on his bed.

"Look at this!!" Donny jumps on his bed and picks a piece of paper off the top of the pile.

Donny. He starts reading the note slowly, sounding out each word.

Sor-ry I was-n-t a-ble to read you a bed-time s-tor-y to-night. My new job is ver-y stress-full but I am a-able to buy you books li-ke these. Evie will read to you to-night and I will walk you to scho-ol in the mor-ning.

"Oh wow!" Donny tosses the note on the floor. "I can't believe Mama bought me all these! I wanna read them all!!"

I'm so angry at my mom. What we need is her. Not gifts that her new money can buy.

"How about two?" I smile weakly.

Donny picks out Franklin Goes to School and The Cat in the Hat and we end up reading four more before we both crash.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

4.8K 134 16
Two teenagers with a interesting love story fr🤷🏽‍♀️ + a baby later on
81.6K 4.6K 33
⚠️Although not necessary, I suggest you read Torn first since this story references characters from that story and may contain some spoilers. ⚠️ Alic...
2.8M 70.9K 76
Avery is back in her hometown, after she moved away to LA with her mom. After her parents divorced her mom thought it would the best if they get away...
22.9K 928 29
Sarah lives a casual life. She does well in school, she has a decent amount of friends, and she lives with her mom but keeps contact with her dad. On...