My Social Skills Are Terrible...

Per Aren_Gee

Hachiman Hikigaya is an apathetic, isolated, and friendless boy. He firmly believes that youth is simply an i... Més

Writer's Apology
Chapter 1: Back to Normal?
Chapter 2: Keeping in Touch
Chapter 3: Carrying On
Chapter 5: A Miscast
Chapter 6: Off the Deep End

Chapter 4: In a Bind

590 12 10
Per Aren_Gee

Mornings should be enjoyed. The quiet and calming atmosphere normally goes well with a good warm breakfast. So... why am I in this situation? My little sister has been staring daggers at me. I greeted Komachi this morning yet I was ignored. How am I going to start my day like this...?

In front of the dining table, I stared at the food for a good second. Good thing my little sister still stuck to the traditional amount of food she cooked. I looked at her, still I can see that pout in her mouth, although it is subtle. I feel bad. As we're about to start eating I said, "Hey, Komachi..."

Before I can continue, she butts in, "I'd rather finish my breakfast while it's warm. So I refuse to talk." Oww, that hurt Komachi. Honestly, there's no need for her to wait for me and eat together but then again, I realized that... well, we're almost living together by ourselves. Mom and Dad are not home for the most part. It is understandable that she would wait for me... I guess it's not just about the bond between me and her, but I'm the only big brother she ever had. When I put it this way, crap...I can see it...this giant image of her calling me "creep, stay away from me. I don't want to be infected with your creep germ." A rebellious bratty Komachi... now that's dreadful. No no no, I can't allow that to happen.

"So... you're not going to apologize for last night?" she asked. I was knocked back to reality. "Well... I was thinking of a way to apologize to you. I just can't think of anything yet." An honest answer from me but why is she giving me this upset look? "Baka Onii! You only need to say you are sorry. It's that simple! Hmphpf!" What a cute upset look, maybe I could intend to upset her from time to time just to see that. She then continued to talk about how bored she was waiting for me and the food got cold and other rants I can't even remember if I did them. I needed a way to shut her up so that I can say it. *Mmpphff* "I'm sorry Komachi." I fed her a spoonful. "You see, something came up from school and Yui asked if we could go home together. I can't see a reason to say no so...anyways so there's that."

She chewed vigorously and gulped it. "That's not the right way to say sorry big brother..." Her face was turning red however. I was about to continue eating but I saw her switch from an upset brat to a cute babe. I wondered if there's something about what I said that made her switch. Then I saw her grin saying, "Ehhhh, big brother is already making moves I see." I tried to dismiss the thought from her, "Moves? No no, you're misunderstanding something—" but before I can finish speaking she interrupted me, "The way I see it, you're the one who's misunderstanding big brother. It could have been any guy but she's currently stuck up with you. I feel sorry for Yui."

Hey now, stop putting suggestions that Yui likes me. I don't want to make the same mistake that I had before. I remember that abhorrent feeling that makes me want to feel like I want to just disappear when I assumed that a girl liked me. Even if Yui liking me was the case, there must be a driving force that makes her feel that way toward me. Perhaps, she still feels the gratitude when I saved her dog back then... I don't know. She's a nice girl, and nice girls usually don't get along with me. We finished our meals together and after taking care of the dishes, we were both ready to head out for school. Now it is rather convenient that she's going to the same school as I am. Also, the way she handled her entrance exam there made me a proud and a bit jealous. It was a cakewalk to her. Although she claims that the cram school and reviews we did together make the difference, I feel like my little sister does and will do a lot better in school than I do. I don't like to compete, but if it's against Komachi, I might need to show that I can do better. Besides, I need to show something to my Mom and Dad that I am capable enough on my own so that they don't have to worry about me in the future.

Traveling together with Komachi to school seems to be a good change of pace. Honestly, I can't bring up enough energy to be as lively as her and looking at her with that cute smile drawn on her lips shows me that she's really excited to go to school. She kept telling me about her new friends at school and how she was chosen to be their class representative. Ahhh, that's right, when it comes to personality, she's my exact opposite. As soon as we arrived at the school gates she said, "Well, I got to go big brother." I just nodded. She then pouted again, "Owww! Can you at least show a bit of enthusiasm?"  I answered, "You know, I've been in this school long enough. Nothing new here is making me enthusiastic." She then hit my side softly saying, "Well, you should be. Since I'm studying in the same school as you! Definitely I can add that as a point for being a cute little sister heheh. And is that Yui?" I glanced at the direction where she was looking, there I saw Yui standing just few steps away from us. She waved and said, "Yahallo Komachi! You look nice with our uniform." Then she looked at me, "Hi Hikky!" Well, this is awkward. "Yo...", I greeted back. She then smiled and continued, "You really looked like a big brother walking together with Komachi." I don't know it if was a compliment or I didn't look brotherly enough prior to my little sister being admitted to the school. I answered, "Well, at least I have to act like it sometimes."  She draws her face a bit closer to me. No, to be honest this is too close for my comfort. Step away for a bit geez, you'll make my heart skip a beat. "Is that so?" she asked. Komachi interrupted us, "I'll leave you two. I got to go. See ya after school big brother! Yui take care of my brother will you?"  as she skips happily while entering the school. Me and Yui were left together, standing at the gates. We both glanced at each other. Honestly, I'm starting to feel my throat dry. If I'm not careful, I might spout some unnecessary complements without me realizing it. After few seconds, she then said, "Let's go...Hikky." I... can only nod.

Yui chatted me about her conversation with Yukino. Seeing her smiling while sharing it to me feels nice somehow. As we approach our classroom door, we can hear the chattering from inside. Now, what happened next is something I didn't expect. I opened the door and both of us entered the classroom. There was silence, all eyes are on us. One among them is glaring at me. Yumiko, one of Yui's friend from Hayato's clique. I don't quite understand the hostility and honestly I don't care. Yui however carried on, she's a natural at times like this. "Yahallo! What's going on? Were we late?" Hina replied, "Yahallo Yui, well you're just in time before start of class." Yui headed were their group is inside the classroom usually, exchanging pleasantries as usual. I on the other hand, just went straight to my desk and sat down. I brought my book out and started reading it. The class is about to start, better get this day over with.

————————Couple of hours later during class———————

"What unnecessary banter..." I mumbled while my head was laying down top of my desk. There's a discussion going on, apparently the school decided to do an event to welcome the freshman and it will include fund raising for nearby day care that's about to open. They are debating if whether holding a school fair is better to raise funds than holding a stage play. And Ms. Shizuka is just standing at the side of the room, in utter disbelief that they're not going anywhere. If you look at it, the first choice not only displays the creativity of the students with the stuff they will be making and selling out of, the second choice shows that involvement of everyone to make a successful play. Seriously, why don't they just settle it with a toss coin and be done with it. I'd like to pass the day with less noise and hassle. I can't even go out of the room and go to my special hang out place for crying out loud.

"What do you think Hachiman?" a faint voice asked me. Oh, I remember this voice, its soft and warm. I glanced to the direction of the voice and I saw the person standing there, with these inquisitive eyes. Our eyes met and it made me almost jump out of my seat. It was Saika, and he smiled at me. Why do I feel so confused!? I answered, "Whatever it is, it doesn't matter. Both have good intentions anyway. They just have to settle with one choice and wing it." Saika peered to the direction of the group of people arguing which kind of event should be held. I then realized that the group who wants a fair to happen are Hayato's clique. On the other side, it's Saki with the few other students and surprisingly, Yui is with her. I thought she would definitely side with Yumiko since they are close but it seems I'm mistaken.

"Yui? Why are you siding with her? I thought we decided to do the fair?" Yumiko mockingly asked Yui. I can see Yui trembling for a bit but she held her ground and replied, "Yes I agreed that your idea was great. But still, I kinda want to make a play. Saki is really good at making costumes..." I can see the embarrassment from Saki's face, but I continued to listen to Yui. I believe she's about to arrive at her point on why she really wants to do a play. I kinda want to hear it. "And if experience taught me something, being able to show them a play where people can relate and appreciate means so much more than buying things...I think." Ohh, that may have touched a nerve Yui. Based on Yumiko's facial expression, she didn't like your answer. To be honest, her answer is too idealistic. It is based on something intangible, like human emotions. People nowadays wants what's practical. It is the reason why people value expensive over simple ones. As an example, if you give someone a handmade birthday greeting card, they'd probably say thanks to you but will not tell you that you are being cheap. Compared to someone giving a bag or a pair of shoes, you would see the recipient smiling from ear to ear because it is more valuable than a handmade greeting card.

"What? You can't honestly think that doing a play will earn enough funds? What if the number of audiences isn't big as you expected? You can't possibly let the people who watch go home with an empty pair of hands?" asked Yumiko. Nailed it. Yui was silent, I can also see Saki looking down feeling defeated. I don't know Yumiko personally, but she's the kind of girl who dwells on the material side of things, or at least I assume so. Her choice of words only cemented my previous point about people nowadays being more practical. But while it is true, what others feel does not concern you but people will always find what makes them happy. Materialistic things are just a part of it, what you feel about it is something else. Hence, the point between the handmade birthday greeting card and a bag and a pair of shoes doesn't matter. It's the fact that you care enough to go out of your way and greet someone during their birthday. No, materialistic things don't always matter. Plus, I want to make this event successful for Komachi. I have no reason to help since the Service Club is no more, but I am a student in this school, my sister, Yui and everyone else as well. Therefore, I concluded that no matter how much I avoid it, I am still involved. I have to say few things as a student, whatever their reaction is, is none of my concern.

"I don't think you are seeing the point here." Ah I finally stepped in the conversation, there's no turning back. "There's nothing wrong in raising funds through selling the items made by the students of this school. But I think that idea has to be done on a different event." I added. Yumiko glared at me, "So you have a better opinion?" she goaded. I don't have time to organize my thoughts, I just wanted to point out what they are forgetting, and drive that point. Whether they like it or not, it's up to them. "I don't think you remember what the fund raiser is about, Yumiko. The event was supposed to be for the day care that's going to open. There's no use in opening a fair if we don't invite the kids' parents and the day care faculty to our school. They need to feel that they were part of the even since this is for them, and  to have the parents and the day care teachers roam around with the kids. It is annoying, tiring even. Aside from the factors I mentioned, there will be instances of kids getting lost. We don't want worry everyone during the event, do we?"

Yumiko crossed her arms and said, "So? We can ask the student council to have a volunteer watch. Besides, we can ask help from the school security." Now, she took the bait. There are different ways on how I win with my arguments with someone. One, I need to establish the point that I agree with the person I'm arguing with. Two, once the person knows that I agree with the point, I can focus on telling why it is not valid by stating the obvious, which is the reason why there was a fund raiser in the first place. It is for the new day care, and Yumiko has forgotten it. Third, is to show her that her way of approaching things is flawed. And here is how I deliver it...normally. "Have you ever handled a crying little kid? Do you have enough patience in handling lost kids?" Yumiko can only take a step back with my claim. To be honest I just assumed that she doesn't know how to handle little children, perhaps not like them even. I just assumed and good thing my assumption was right. I'm a horrible person. Hayato stepped in the conversation, "Then we can ask several students who had experience taking care of children. I'm sure we can find some."

I argued,"Remember that the ones doing the play are us, the seniors and the second years. You can't possibly ask the freshmen to do it. And even though we have more than enough heads to create a play, you have to account several more things like promoting it, equipment handling and more. School security's hands are all full during the event. Having volunteer students help them is all good, but it won't be enough. We're a bunch of teenagers, most of us don't know how to handle kids. Having the parents move around so much will only aggravate them." Yumiko was silent for a moment, and she's getting hesitant to prove her point and convince that a school fair is better than a school play. At this point, is where I'm going to nail it. My final piece of argument. "We need to remember that this event is for the children. Instead of having them walk around like ants, let's give them a seat. They're our guest, we can at least make them feel comfortable and have fun at the same time. The security personnel don't have to worry much other than guarding the venue. As long as we give them a play where they can have fun, it's fine. What matters is the memories that the children and parents will have after the event. Think of it this way, if the child who watched the play here in this school had fun, grew up and wanted to study here, the parent won't have much objection due to this event giving them fun memories. It is a win-win situation for the school and the day care. These children might become future students here. And that in itself, is a good investment already. So as far as I know, Saki and Yui's idea is far better than what you offer."  I stopped when she was showing signs of no retaliation. Looks like I said too much, but I noticed their looks at me. They were silent.

"Hikki..." Yui whispered. I can see everyone in deep thought, then the silence was broken by Ms. Shizuka "Well done Hikigaya. So, has anyone decided on what kind of even should be held?" Everyone started discussing among themselves. Yumiko responded, "I agree with Hikigaya's point. We'll go with the school play."  Ms. Shizuka nodded and asked other students, "You guys agree as well?"  They responded with a yes. Looks like the debate is finally over. I can now take a seat and enjoy silence. However, I thought wrong. Of all people who can suggest, it's Yumiko. And it was the worst thing, "We need someone to lead is in this event. And I can see no better person to lead us than Hikigaya himself and Yui."  she said in a stern manner. Crap, now I put myself in a tight spot. Leading something like this big is not my specialty, and looks like everyone is in agreement. "Wait, shouldn't we consult the student council first?"  I asked Ms. Shizuka. She responded, "The student council has another job in this event. I suggested to have the seniors and sophomores be responsible for the event and they agreed, Iroha Isshiki also said that she's pretty sure that someone among the seniors specially in your class will be capable of leading it even if Yukinoshita isn't here."  Damn you Iroha, I'm pretty sure you just don't want additional responsibility in your hands. Wait, someone from our class...? Was she referring to me? No, but this is too much of a coincidence...did she also expect this to happen? That sly fox...

I glanced over at Saki and I asked her if she agrees, she only gave me a nod though she's looking away from me a bit and I can see her ear turning red. I don't quite understand. I sighed thinking about the situation, I tried to think of excuses to dissuade them but I think it's over. There's no turning back. I felt someone grabbing my sleeve, when I looked, it was Yui. The look in her eyes are the same during the time when I walked home together with her and she said she wanted to run for student council president, knowing she can't win against Yukino. I don't know why I remembered it, but it came to me. She's staring at me; I can feel my heart beat real fast. She way too cute right now, I might blush and it's embarrassing. Her lips started to move and uttered the words,

"Let's do our best, Hikki!"

_________XXX TO BE CONTINUED

Image Credit: https://external-preview.redd.it/X-8DYExdS2BiR_W-t8mIeEfJuu0O711ThKfMbPmYVgw.jpg?width=1200&height=628.272251309&auto=webp&s=fbd1aa58916149fb3c30806fb5521e412f1e8c48

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

167K 6K 92
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
414K 12.5K 94
Theresa Murphy, singer-songwriter and rising film star, best friends with Conan Gray and Olivia Rodrigo. Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver for Ferrar...
772K 17.5K 46
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
1.8M 58.9K 72
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...