The Queen of the Prey

By LaniNKS2018

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked Xander, my voice void of any emotions. I was in my warrior stance... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 30

14.7K 514 144
By LaniNKS2018

*Please vote and comment if you like this chapter!*

All eyes rested upon the golden arcing rays of the soul. My breath was stolen away from the beauty of her.

Why I ask Ulrica

Why what? Ulrica questioned also stunned by the light of the soul.

Why have all the other souls been black after death but hers still hold the light?

Because she was always pure...she belongs with the Moon Goddess. Ulrica soothed. I bring the soul closer to me.

"No," Demidus father whispered. I shoot him a warning glance.

"Go in peace," I whisper before launching her into the sky.

-Thanatos-

"Found you." Thanatos sang in a dark tune as he watched the pure white soul go towards the sky.

"Oh Ulrica, you should've known I could find you anywhere if you guided another soul to the afterlife." A deep chuckle sounded through the still air.

"You should have consumed this soul. You practically lit a beacon for me."

"I'm coming for you, Ulrica."

----------------------------------------

I don't want to move. I can't move. I think to Rica while staring up into the starless sky, trying to see any hint of the bright soul. Sitting, on the wet grass, and feeling the insects crawl up and down my legs, I felt distant from my body...

Where are the stars? Why can't I see Ray...Did I go blind? Somewhere in my mind, I start to panic. I don't remember how to stand, or to even let go anymore. I whisper, clutching the child closer to my chest.

She's cold.

So cold.

The soul that dwelt within her was gone, finally safe from the destruction of anything pure in this forsaken world. I never knew the child, but I could tell she was loved, from the loud sobs around me.

No harm can come to her now. This heart that used to beat with love felt still in my arms. Her mind that explored so many emotions was blank.

If I had fought back sooner...would she have been spared? I whisper to myself, tears falling down my face.

Don't do that to yourself. Ulrica soothed, You fought those murders off because of her. You saved those ungrateful vampires because of Ray. You cannot save everyone Anala.

I could've saved her. I croak. A soft hand laid down on my shoulder, but I didn't even have the energy to jump. My body felt incredibly weak and ached everywhere.

"Can we bury her?" The soft voice of Luciana broke through the muffled sobs and wails. Slowly, I glance up to stare at her old withered face. I clutched Ray closer to me, wanting to protect her body. It took me a second to process what she said.

Let her go, Ana Rica soothed.

"Yes," I breathed softly. She nods her head, solemnly, before kneeling beside me. Her eyes stare into me, waiting and painfully, I begin to move and uncurl my arms. Every muscle seized up, screaming in protest. Unable to proceed with any grace, my movements are jerky as I pass Ray's body to her open arms. Luciana pauses to stare at Ray's face before looking at me, a soft smile on her face.

"You did well." She whispered, patting my hand gently. I couldn't return the smile, but a part of me was comforted by the gentle touch.

I still don't trust her ...but that felt nice Ulrica wearily said I stared at the wrinkled hand before it disappeared leaving me cold and empty again.

Footsteps retreated farther and farther away from me, but I couldn't move. I wanted to follow, to see Ray's body properly taken care of, but a part of me knows I don't belong with them, I don't deserve to mourn with them. I held back the tears as I stared at my hands, clenched on my knees — scarred pale skin against a dirty emerald dress.

This dress is probably the most beautiful thing I will ever get to wear...shame I half-heartedly joked. Ulrica scoffed at that. We stayed quiet for a time, watching the grass move with the soft breeze, leaves flew in and out of our visions, but I couldn't look at the sky, not yet. I couldn't even move my head to check for any sign of danger. I stared at my burnt hands and watched as an ant crawled its way up my fingers.

I didn't feel him come up behind me.
I didn't register the shift of grass and dirt as the man sat down next to me.

He doesn't speak but moves his hand to brush the ant off my arm.

I flinch away. His hand pauses before gently picking up the ant and placing it on the ground.

"I can't do this anymore," Demidicus whispers, shocked. I glanced at his face, and his eyes were focused on the tree in front of us. He stared at it as if it held the answers to everything wrong with this world.

"What?" I breathe; my voice was hoarse and thin. He took a deep breath.

"I can't keep watching you hurt anymore, since the first moment I met you, you've done nothing more than getting into danger to try to save someone else. Save everyone else but yourself."

"I never asked you to-"

"Please, let me finish," He interrupts, placing a hand gently on my arm. I stare at the hand curiously.

"I've seen you fight to save people who have done nothing but try to hurt you. Every time you get off the ground, spit the blood out of your mouth, and bare your teeth to the world. You keep daring everyone to come at you, just to prove that you're gonna go down fighting. And each time..." He paused, taking deep breaths, trying to calm himself, "Each time I feel helpless. I want to help...and... a part of me that I didn't even know existed wants to save you. But each time, I fail to help. Honestly, when you were fighting that...monster...back in the forest, I was terrified. I thought I was going to die, but then I saw you. Challenging him. You, who could barely even walk, who is skin and bones, trying to fight and saving me. You pushed me into the forest when you could have easily saved yourself." Demidicus shook his head, bewildered, "And when you stood up for us at the house...Why do you keep risking your life? To prove a point?"

"Yes." I breathe, my eyes burning. Don't cry! I scream in my head.

"Bull." He growled. I looked up at him, startled, but his hand was warm and comforting.

"Look, I'm grateful that you've saved me and everyone. But don't you think it's time someone told you to rest? To save yourself?"

"I'm okay," I whisper.

Liar. Ulrica growled.

"No, you're not," Demidicus whispered, lifting his head to stare at the stars. "I can tell you're in pain that you have so many scars that don't show on your skin. I think you like the pain. I think you like it because you think you deserve it." Demidicus turned his head to me, and for once, I finally got a good look at his entire face. His eyes were so dark I felt like I was looking into an endless stretch of a midnight sky, they were like the sweet silence before the dawn. And when they stared into me, the moonlight reflected off his eyes, making tiny stars. He had a blade nose and burrowed cheekbones. I couldn't help but notice how well his pale skin contrasted against his black hair that seemed to find their way to cover his left eye. Which, to my surprise, I found a small flare of anger towards that little piece of hair that hid a single part of his beautiful eyes. There was something about him. Something about the way he watched me.

Ah, I feel my breath stop in my throat. There are the stars.

"You're bleeding." Demidicus whispers. I blink, confused and raise my hand to feel the warm liquid trickle out of my nose, before I could protest I was already lying on my back with my head on his legs, staring up into the sky. Distantly, I could hear the sound of fabric ripping, but I was so focused on the air again. I felt safe.
Peaceful.

A hand appeared in my vision, blocking the beautiful sky as cloth dabbed at the bottom of my nose.

"I'm fin-" I started.

"Hush." He soothed, whipping away the blood that was trickling down the side of my face. "I just told you I couldn't do this anymore." He fretted, "I can't watch you suffer anymore. I want to be able to help somehow. Even if it's to take care of you like this." He continued wiping away the blood and stuffed two pieces of cloth in my nose.

"I'm here." He whispers, "You can lean on me or not, but I'm here. I-" He pauses, looking away before taking a deep breath. "I promise." and suddenly it felt stupid to hold back my tears. He stared at me wide eye.

"Wha-? Did I do something wrong? I'm so sorry! Please don't cry! I jus-" I cut him off, raising my hands to cover my eyes.

"Please, " I beg, tears streaming down my face, "Please don't make promises you can't keep." Please don't give me false hope. I finish inside my head.

Arms wrapped around me as a massive body engulfed me in a warm, safe hug.

"I'm begging you...try to forget your past for just one millisecond and listen to me." He begs, pulling back to look me in the face, the fire of the sun in his eyes, "I'm. Not. Going. Anywhere." He enunciated, forcing my eyes to stare at his lips.

Those are nice Ulrica chips in, but I'm distracted when Demidicus continues.

"I won't leave. I won't give up. And I will be with you every single time you need me. I want to fight with you. I want to see you take that damn crown from that barbaric king. I want to protect you. And you can doubt it all you want. You can try to push me away because you think I will just abandon you and it will never happen."

"But why!?" I shout, tears running down my face.

"Because you are you! You are the most selfless girl I have ever met! Every time I lay eyes on you, you stand up and face this cruel world with such kindness and determination, it blows my mind. Even when this world has done nothing but turns their back on you, you still save it despite the odds." His voice was loud and matter of fact. I rest my head against his shoulder.

"You don't even know me, and you have no idea what I've done to survive," I whisper, a part of me hoping he didn't hear my confession. He pushes me so I can look him in his startling eyes.

"I know you saved me several times in the last month. I know you have the power and reasons to kill my father, but you didn't" 

Still a good possibility though, Rica chimed in.

"I know that Ray's in peace now, but most of all, I know that you are..." He pauses, looking into my eyes his mouth open as if the words are stuck in his throat, "My Queen." His gruff voice finishes, and I look down, a little disappointed.

Why? What was I hoping he would say?  I ask myself.

"For now, that's enough." He lifts my chin, "I want to know more about you...but for now it's enough." He tries to hug me, but I pull back a little, placing my hand against his cheek. My marred hand was small against his cheek, almost childlike.

"What will that cost you, though?" I whisper, feeling tears prick my eyes as I imagine this man lying on the ground, hurt...because of me. I couldn't risk it. He didn't hesitate as he gathered me into his arms, holding me tight against his chest.

"I don't care." His guttural voice sounded close to my ear, " There can be three hundred million reasons for me to leave you... but I want to fight for the chance to be by your side... and I will." I shake my head again. 

When did I start to care about him? When did I begin to fear the day I could hurt him. I think to Rica. 

"Please...let me keep my promise," Demidicus whispered into my hair.

Someone's coming, Ana. Ulrica warned. 

"Et adolebitque ea vivere!" I mutter under my breath, pushing back from Demidicus and shakily try to stand up. [Latin for, "I'll burn them alive."]

"Run" I whisper to Demidicus's confused face before I could take a step forward, I felt my eyes roll back, and the world fell away from me as I pass.

HI ALL!!

SOOOO.....What did we all think about Demidicus!!!!!! Let me know!!!

If you like this chapter, I really hope you can leave a comment and vote!

First, I want to apologize for the long-awaited chapter. Sincerely. I had initially thought chapter 30 was finished, but when I read it over, I didn't like it. But now I think this chapter is a WHOLE lot better than what it was before.

Second, I want to thank everyone who has been reading my story up until now! WE HAVE REACHED 27K VIEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!

THIRD, THE QUEEN OF THE PREY WON THIRD PLACE IN THE FLAVORED AWARDS!!! I AM SO HAPPY AND SO HONORED TO MAKE IT TO THE TOP THREE!!! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 17 50
Tika They delivered me to him on a silver platter. Four years ago I was an ordinary girl with a privileged life. After killing the only family I have...
2K 33 20
"I have a partner, you can't stay in the Power Axis pack." Alpha Oswald smirked "I think that's what rejection stands for." I retorted with a wince...
3.6K 206 24
"You can't tell anyone." His words hit me hard, but I was ready for them. I grimaced slightly, but did my best to hide it as I squeezed my arms in re...
1.4K 151 17
"You are mine, little mate." A whimper slipped from my lips when Xander's mouth claimed the most sensitive part of my neck, his breath scorching my s...