robin; a different fate [Disc...

By luminouscrow2002

instead of being adopted by bruce wayne that fateful night robin was kidnapped by far worse people. he was br... More

Chapter 01: Assassin
Chapter 02: The Team
Chapter 03: Stalking
Chapter 04: Ice
Chapter 05: Talon
Chapter 06: Training
a/n
a/n 2
plot of R;aDF
new cover page

Chapter 07: Oddly Familiar

1.2K 47 5
By luminouscrow2002

It's been months since I've updated and I apologize for that. I got caught up in school, catching up with friends, annoying freshmen, and just generally getting situated for the year. I believe this chapter is long overdue so enjoy, and thank you all for waiting ^^

p.s. i finally sat down and thought through the plot for this story. in the beginning it didn't matter quite as much because i was simply setting the scene. but now, i have an actual plot line to follow and oof

[THIRD PERSON]

[Location: Mount Justice]

[3:30 PM]

They were to go after the being known as Talon, a job worthy of the League. Robin hummed to himself quietly under his breath, trying to shake the feeling that this mission was oddly familiar, that they had somehow been on this mission before. But that wouldn't make any sense right? Batman wouldn't have briefed them as much as he had if they'd been on this exact mission before.

They had been shown footage of the nimble blue eyed acrobat without a name that could be put to a face. The only thing they knew about him was that he was Talon, heir to The Court of Owls. It was no surprise to them when they learned that he could fight and fight well.

And now, it was the team's job to go after him and bring him in for questioning.

"Alright, here is the plan." Kaldur, the team leader of the Young Justice laid their notes out on the table. For once they had decided to devise a plan and back up plans ahead of time. Seeing as this was potentially one of the strongest foes they would ever face they at least wanted to come back safely.

Plus, the team just had this nagging feeling in the back of their heads that it would be important to plan this all out ahead of time. They weren't quite sure why.

He assigned roles to each of them before it was time to board the martian's ship and intercept the Talon. They had a lead on where he was and they weren't about to give that up easily. It had been harder than they had expected to find a lead. Very very hard indeed. It had been a week since they had officially started the mission and they had just now found his location and where he would be.

This mission had barely started and they were already struggling. Fantastic. At least they should be able to fend for themselves if they have to, they trusted Batman enough to trust that he wasn't about to send them on a mission that gets them all killed.

- - - -

Batman was sure that his files were never wrong, that he wouldn't have put this much information into a file only to have no recollection of it's making. It was infuriating to Batman that he couldn't remember and that every time he tried to remember it seemed to make the headache pounding his his skull more painful.

This pushed him to want to remember. He had talked to his oldest son about this strange feeling and Damian had admitted that he too felt something similar, like he had forgotten something important.

Batman read over his files again. Perhaps sending the team on this mission would give him the answers he wanted. If it didn't, Batman would have to grudgingly turn to one of his own team mates and have them look through his mind. As much as Batman trusted the Martian Man Hunter, he did not like the idea of anyone fishing around in his head for anything.

Batman sighed and unconsciously went back to the case that he had been trying to solve for years, a case that had never left his mind because of the horror that he had witnessed and the deaths he had been unable to prevent.

It was going to be a long night.

[Location: Unknown Base]

[4:50 PM]

Talon shivered from his perch as he watched the night. It was cold, but Talon supposed he wasn't really supposed to feel the cold. He wasn't expected to feel much of anything other than hunger or thirst. That was the way of the Court. Their assassins would face the harshest training to strengthen them and Talon thanked them for that.

The nagging voice in the back of his head slipped through for a second and Talon felt what the voice felt, but only for a second before he pushed it away.

"Shut up Dick." Talon mumbled quietly under his breath. So quietly that you would have had to have been right beside him to hear him. So quietly it was almost as if he hadn't spoken at all.

The voice silenced, no more than a pulsing headache in the back of his mind. Talon closed his eyes and fell back onto the rooftop. The scientists and his grandfather had been adamant about him silencing the voice once and for all. They were trying anything short of a mind wipe to get rid of it. All the trials had made Talon's body fatigued and a certain tiredness had settled over him.

Something was fighting back within his body. He knew as much, he just wished it didn't make him so tired, make training a new kind of personal hell. Talon strives to do well in training but today had nearly been too much for his small body. On top of fighting with himself he had also been forced to train with his grandfather since they had not yet found a suitable replacement for his trainer.

Talon yawned and let his head lull to one side. Maybe tonight he would sleep under the stars. They seemed particularly bright tonight and Talon couldn't help but want to childishly touch them. Was it wrong of him to have childish notions while being an assassin worthy of several lifetimes of jail? He was so young and yet he had done so much already.

It had all started with- wait, what had it started with? Talon couldn't seem to remember what the rest of that sentence could have been. Perhaps the voice was feeding his thoughts again. He always came up with the strangest thoughts when the voice attempted to sway him one way or another.

The court was bad? We don't belong here? The Court was suspicious? Those were all thoughts of the voice in the back of his mind. They were distinctly the voice. What reason would Talon have to think those thoughts? None whatsoever, the Court of Owls had never given him a reason to distrust them and he wasn't about to start now.

The Court had given his life purpose, they had created him. He was the heir.

Just as Talon was drifting off to sleep an internal alarm blared loudly, a warning that something was about to happen. Talon shot up in response to the chip's signal. His blue eyes flew open as he almost frantically ducked back into the window of his room and strapped on his gear in seconds. It had been drilled into him so many times that the actions that would have normally taken minutes had taken him mere seconds.

Sliding his door open he bounded down the hallway with his fellow assassins following in his footsteps. They too had gotten the warning that every talon was equipped with. The chip tracked their progress and could be used to locate them should they get lost or die. The chip also allowed their bodies to be frozen when they were no longer active talons. When they would be needed for a mission far into the future.

Talon himself had woken up in the crypt to many times to count. In fact, most of the time when he first woke up he wasn't in complete control of his body. But that was completely normal right? Talon was fairly certain that it was perfectly normal to feel that lack of control at first. They had been sleeping for a long time after all. The odd thing however was that he never remembered going in, he had always assumed that he was put to sleep after a severe blackout on his part. Usually his blackouts were bloody and very dangerous to anyone and everyone.

They were only trying to keep him safe from himself!

Talon took to the vents the second he got. A gut feeling told him that that was where he needed to be. So, despite his orders to escape into the catacombs he went to the vents.

Who he found in those vents stopped him in his tracks and made a certain memory spark, a memory he didn't remember being a part of.

Something, oddly familiar.

[1376 words]

so this morning has been eventful. first my ear buds stopped working (they're bluetooth) so I was like alright, i'ma take these other ear buds but nooo they don't stay in when i walk. second, i forgot it was 30 degrees outside and wore the wrong jacket so i froze on the way to school. third i walked into a ditch. this is not the first time i've walked into that particular ditch. i rolled one ankle and hurt my other leg. so i keep walking, muttering under my breath and cursing myself because this all could have been avoided if i had just accepted my dad's offer to drive me. i arrive to school looking like a mess, feeling like a mess, and being an actual mess, and i start crying. my friend threatens to throw me into a trashcan and roll me down the stairs after she tells me shes not going to comfort me if i start crying because that's just her way of comically comforting people, and tells me to just take a nap and maybe it'll be better when i wake up.

so enjoy the update

i apologize for the rant and he lateness of this update oof

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.9K 685 29
Sandy was adopted by the Graysons when she was just a baby. Years later, when her mom and dad falls to their death. Instead of sticking with her brot...
85.5K 2.9K 13
In which Bruce Wayne calls upon the Young Justice team to save his seven children who were kidnapped by a group of rogues who are threatening to kill...
27K 911 18
Instead of being adopted by Bruce Wayne, young Richard Grayson stumbles upon Slade Wilson aka DeathStroke who took him in. Slade taught him how to fi...
16.4K 309 25
Sequel to (young justice robin x reader: bird love.) After the events of the first book, Dick doesn't give up on finding you. What will happen if he...