ʙʀᴇᴀᴋɪɴɢ ᴏꜰ ᴅᴀᴡɴ

By ixorasavage

*********HIGHEST RANKINGS********* #587 in blood #467 in teenagers #96 in spirits #57 in garnets #4 in betrot... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Author's Note
Chapter 20
It all begins at the breaking of dawn...
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 14

3 2 0
By ixorasavage

Swiping her finger across the phone screen, she watched the picture slide away and replaced by another. She clutched the phone tightly in her left hand as he green eyes examined the picture—a picture of her and Kayden in front of Almond's Coffee Shop last summer.

Why did Kayden talk to her that way? Why was she supposed to stay away from Xavier? Why was Xavier acting so strange the other day?

As quick as the questions came, the smile on her thin pink lips dissolved. She rested her head on the headboard behind her, wondering why Kayden had behaved in such a manner yesterday. Her green eyes scanned the quiet room and stopped on the swaying pink translucent curtains. She rose to her feet, phone in hand and pulled the curtain apart.

"That's why you need to stay away from him goddammit!" he had shouted on her yesterday in the cemetery. She needed to stop remembering that god-awful statement. She set her phone on the window sill, staring at the driveway.

Each time she looked the driveway, she could remember Xavier's white car or the look on his face when they were in the car—unfamiliar. She had texted him but he never replied even though she knew he had seen it. What she wanted to understand was why the sudden rift between Kayden and Xavier.

"Gwen!" Lulu called, interrupting her from her thought. Luckily, the thoughts that had clouded her head dispersed like the wind and ashes. Her hands trembled as she picked her phone off the window will and rushed downstairs.

"Yes Lulu," her voice trembled the moment she got to the bottom of the stairs.

"I'm in the kitchen, darling," Lulu replied. Gwen shook her head, taking the open doorway on the left. She saw Lulu setting a cup on the table but what caught her attention was the young lady in her mid-thirties— tanned, brown cropped hair, lean stature.

"Bree?" her voice quivered. The lady got up the chair, advancing towards her. She looked at Lulu, silently demanding an answer but she got none. "Lulu? Why is Breanna here?"

Lulu turned off the stove behind her and took a seat by the dining. She sighed and patted the next chair by her side. Gwen stared at Bree, looked back at Lulu before sitting. Lulu turned towards Bree who gave a small smile and a nod. "You gave me no other option Gwen. I've heard you either scream or cry in your room these last few days. I was worried and I called Bree..."

She knows it's the dreams, Gwen thought and smiled at her grand mum. "...I know you'd want to look strong because of me, grandpop and Riley but you needn't to." Lulu caressed Gwen's left cheek, the sadness she had seen multiple times in her eyes. Gwen gulped and nodded in Lulu's hand.

Breanna looked at Gwen from the other side of the kitchen in her violet off shoulder gown. She pushed herself off the edge of counter, balancing both feet on the floor. "Shall we?"

Gwen nodded and Lulu walked out of the kitchen.

*****

Xavier stood on his front porch, hands in the pockets of his shorts. He could feel her around him but she spoke once in a while—unfortunately, she wasn't close at the moment. He stared at his bare feet on the hardwood floors.

He twirled his phone in his hand contemplating whether to reply to Gwen's messages or not. He sighed and made his way back into the house. He plopped down on the leather couch and wished telling Gwen will ease the tension he had created. If he did it, it'll damage things further between him and Kayden and if he didn't, Gwen would be hurt.

"What hurts, little one? Why is your heart troubled?" Ivona asked, a small breeze surrounded Xavier.

"Everything!" he reply in exhaustion, placing his head on his thighs. "My mum and now, Gwen and Kayden. Why must it be hard?"

"It always is hard for one to learn to overcome on his own little one. Troubling it may seem but easier once you've done it."

"Why me?"

"You were always bound to ask that question again. You will know in due time."

"What do you want from me? Why can't I see you?"

"Patience is a virtue but who can criticise when that virtue is not applicable to all," Ivona paused. "I see what you don't. All what you can never see. A promise is for those who can fulfil it. Unfortunately, it's hard to honour one in a situation as complicated as this. And for why you can't see me, actually, you can. I block it because it's dangerous for you to see me. If you do now, you'll die and I'm forbidden to kill when it's not time."

"What's it about the promise?"

"An inquisitive mind is bound to a young child. I could tell you now but I'll disrupt what is to come. You'll know but not now young one. All we can ever offer is a heart of gold—one that is open to all. Have I answered your question?"

Xavier smiled to the empty space by his side. "I'm glad I have, Harris Grey," Ivona replied.

"How did you know my other name?" Xavier asked perplexed by the reply.

"It was a name I owed a great favour to but I'm afraid it won't stand forever," she sadly whispered.

"Ivona?" he called but she didn't reply—she was gone. He shut his eyes, only her gently voice filled his head. "All we can ever offer is a heart of gold—one that is open to all," she had said earlier.

"'One that is open to all,'" he repeated. He swiped his phone off the large glass table in the centre of the living room in a haste. He hurried typed some words and when he was done, he hesitated to send the message. He heaved a sigh and shut his eyes.

*****

"I heard myself screaming as the car tumbled. I couldn't move. I couldn't do anything but watch the blood soak my shirt. Nobody was moving," she shook her head, steadily holding Bree's gaze. She pointed at a picture frame in the hallway that only she could see because of her seating position. Bree observed Gwen's hands trembled. "They weren't moving even though I was crying right behind them. None of them could tell me it was a dream. The blood was surrounding and soon, I was drowning a large volume of it." She snapped her head in Bree's direction, tears flowing on their own accord.

"I drowned. I was drowning in my own blood..." Gwen said in a whisper. Bree pulled her chair closer to Gwen's and pulled her into her arms.

"How many times have we spoken about keeping this to yourself?"

Gwen pulled away, wiping her tear-streaked face with her index finger. She sniffled and gave broken laughs. "I'm sorry, Bree. I thought it wasn't going to be worse and I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"You are a strong girl but being strong is you having the courage to share with others. You have me and Lulu, and Riley, and grandpop. You aren't alone Gwendolyn and you know that, don't you?"

"I do," Gwen retorted, looking at the frown on Bree's face.

"What about your medications?"

"I took them but they weren't working."

"I'll prescribe new ones for you before I take my leave. Don't let it overcome you. It's a fear that only you can fight. I'm going to speak with Lulu but I'll be back to see you afterwards."

Bree stood up, tucking her notebook into her handbag before exiting the kitchen, leaving Gwen alone, scanning the entire room quietly. Vibrations and the sound of her ringtone made her dig into the pocket of her jeans.

Without checking the caller's ID, "Hello?"

"Gwen," the voice she had no idea she was eager to hear spoke.

"Xavier...it's you. I tried calling but you weren't picking. I even sent text messages and you never responded," she rambled on the line, gaining a sigh as a response.

"I need to speak to you. It's about Kayden—"

She placed a hand over her chest, "What about him?"

"I can't tell you over the phone but I'm sure he's okay wherever he may be at the moment. Could we meet up later at the playground?"

"Of course Xav."

"Will 13:30 be okay for you?"

"Yeah it is. I'll see you then?"

"Yes, you will Gwen," he laughed and disconnected the call.

Her lips quirked in a smile—

"So Gwen," Bree's heels clicked on the floor, Gwen's attention focused on her. "Lulu has your prescription, and please do endeavour to get them. Okay?"

"I will."

"You'll also have some sessions with me so I can record your progress and help you reduce the risk of a relapse. You are doing great already and I want you to keep it that way," Bree said, hugging Gwen who could only nod. Bree pulled away and gave Gwen a warm smile before making her way to the door.

*****

"I'm sorry I couldn't be here yesterday, with work and family," Earl apologised as he made his way into the house. All Miles could do was to shrug and shut the door behind his friend. A cup of tea in hand, he sat next to Earl who pushed his hair back, staring at the papers laid out on the desk.

"I get you," Miles spoke and Earl's head snapped towards him.

"You said something about those kids. I didn't quite get you on phone—"

"They know something," Miles leaned back into the couch, Earl shifted to see him better.

"Know what?"

"They know about the deaths and are searching something related to Ivona."

"We know she's been dead for 57 years. What are they searching for?"

"Yes Ivona is dead but the question is why the sudden deaths and letters left behind. I saw them at the cemetery. I saw the mouth of a statue open and they picked something metallic out of its mouth. Ivona may be after them.

"They know what we don't and I plan to leave them with that thought for as long as possible. I went back to check entries at the Central Hall of Heritage yesterday and I found all four names; Noah, Kayden, Gwendolyn and Josephine. They are five in number but one person wasn't with them—even at the cemetery. I guess he pulled out?"

"If I get you, they are all looking for something which is important. What if they are fighting for their lives? What if they are looking for how to stop this entire thing with Ivona?"

"Earl, I don't know what but I'll find out. I don't want to throw them off balance with their plans—"

"You won't question them?"

"I've already questioned those kids enough, and if I try again, they'll play dumb and we'll be on the losing end. Nobody wants to lose, right Earl?"

"Yeah Miles," Earl responded as he watched Miles pick up his cup to his lips with a smile on his face.

*****

"Xav?" Gwen called out, putting her hands in the pockets of her hoodie. She saw a figure move out from the corner of the building on the far end of the playground. She stepped back instinctively but he held her with a smile tugging on the edge of his lips. She smiled back and hugged him the moment he released her. "I missed you," she said.

The hug didn't last long and the look on Xavier's face was creeping her out. "What's wrong?"

"I need to get over with this as quickly as possible. Did you tell Kayden you were meeting me by any chance?" he asked, looking over her shoulder.

"He has no idea. He never apologised for shouting on me yesterday."

"He what?" She only pursed her lips and Xavier knew she wasn't going to say more about it. "Anyway, I shouldn't be telling you because Kayden will try killing me for it," he pushed his hair back before holding Gwen by the arms. "Gwen, you're part of a bet and Kayden knows about it. He's playing you," he blurted out.

"I know you and Kay aren't the best of friends right now but that doesn't give you the right to talk bad about him Xav," she complained, pulling her arms free from Xavier's hold. "I don't know what's going on but this is too low, even for you Xav." She proceeded to stride away before he caught her hand again. The look on her face wasn't palatable to see but he had to tell her.

"Do you think I'd come all the way here to lie to you? Why do you think he's been mad at me? He knew I could tell you. He doesn't want to leave us alone to ensure I keep my mouth shut."

"How did you know?" she asked, her hands on her waist.

"I overheard Kayden tell a friend of his a little while after Phoebe's death. I confronted him about it and he told me. I don't want to lie to you and I'm guilty for keeping you in the dark for this long. I'm sorry—"

"Why are you telling me all this if he told you not to tell me?"

"She told me to. I couldn't confront you because I was afraid but Ivona advised me to be open to you—"

"Ivona?"

"I know right. I speak to her but she's not close by now."

"How would you know that?" Gwen crossed her hand over her chest.

"I can't feel her presence. I came to tell you to get away from Kayden because he's bad for you and I don't want you to get tangled in a web of lies, Gwen. I can't make you believe me. Neither can I force you to hear me out. All I ask of you is—"

"Xav!" Gwen's high pitched scream filled the air as she watched Kayden pounce on Xavier, punching him the face. Gwen ran towards the struggling boys but Kayden pushed her aside. With a thud, she hit the ground on her back.

"You bastard!" Kayden said through gritted teeth. Hit! "What did you tell her?" Xavier didn't respond under him. "What did you say to her?" he gripped Xavier's shirt—no response and Xavier got another hit in the face.

Xavier turned and spat on the sand—blood soaked the dry sand. "Why are you afraid Kay? Afraid to handle truth sometimes," he finally spoke. Kayden raised his hand to strike Xavier but Xavier grabbed on to his wrist, flipping Kayden over—he was now on top.

"You don't want her to know, right? Bad news Kayden, she already knows," Xavier smugly said before another blow to his cheek. Xavier tumbled off Kayden. Kayden got up to his feet, stomping towards Xavier despite Gwen's pleading. "You think I'm afraid of you," Xavier challenged, getting up to his feet, squaring off with Kayden. "I'm not afraid of you Kayden. Trust me when I say this that you are a coward. You couldn't tell her yourself, so I did it. She had to know because it wasn't about you. It was always about Gwen."

Gwen fumbled with her phone in her hand, "Noah," she panicked.

"Gwen, are you okay?" Noah questioned.

"Come to the playground," she shouted into the receiver of her phone.

"What is—" Xavier grunted in pain.

"Now Noah. I need you to come now," she added before disconnecting the call.

Kayden held a fistful of Xavier's shirt, glaring at him. "I hate you Xavier and you know what I can do, don't you?" Saliva building up at the edge of his lips.

Xavier pushed Kayden away, his chest rising heavily. "You could admit it, Kay. You could tell Gwen. Tell her and stop acting like a coward. You think you could eat your cake and have it, but you lied Kay. I would never let you hurt her.

"I warned you. I gave you time to tell her but you refused to—" Xavier was cut off by a disarming kick to his knee, he winced. Kayden kicked him to the ground, his feet over Xavier's chest. Xavier chuckled, looking Kayden straight in the eye. Gwen didn't understand why Xavier wouldn't just keep shut.

"Kayden, you hate me because you know what you did. You argue like you're better than everyone else, but newsflash, you aren't," Xavier smiled at the end of his statement, angering Kayden further.

"Break it up guys," Noah shouted, dragging Kayden away from where Xavier laid. Gwen rushed to pull Xavier up. She looked at Kayden, who was still angry from the confrontation.

"You guys are so immature. I came all the way to see this. We have bigger problems on our hands and here you both are, fighting. I'm disappointed in both of you," Noah said crossed, his gaze from one boy to the other.

Xavier touched his lips, blood staining his two fingers. "I'm sick of you Kay." He moved away from where Gwen stood to Noah. "I'll talk to you later," he spoke purposefully to Noah, who nodded his head.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 937 38
A little insight: "Rule number one, do not underestimate your enemy," she laughs, "And as for the game, I have been rolling the dice this whole time...
1.6K 428 27
Slowly and cautiously, Camilla crept into the girl's bathroom. In the reflection of the mirrors, she could see River swinging open a stall door. As t...
1.4K 373 36
"But what do you believe?" "I don't know. I don't even know if any of this is even real." I placed my hands over my face in frustration. Was I losing...
26.7K 1.5K 36
#1 in LGBT 9/23/21, #1 in Horror 9/23/21, #2 in BxB 9/23/21, #1 in ZombieApocalypse 9/23/21 Killian's eyes flickered up to Jasper. In the afternoon...