The Delfe Treasure

By ZonderZorg

Aldrick is obsessed with finding his grandfather's treasure. More than half a century and seventeen voyages h... More

Introductory Matter
1. The Montfords
2. Meeting Grandfather
3. Maps and Plans
4. Of Ships and Crew
5. Details and Complications
6. Of Coming Together
7. North from London
8. Into the Midlands
9. St Albans and Onward
10. Of Wisdom and Kindness
11. Stoneleigh Abbey
12. The Baron Leigh Family
13. Of Love and Marriage
14. Of Maps and Plots
15. Of Position and Comfort
16. Fit-out and Aboard
17. To Sea
18. Sea Trials
19. Evening Aboard
20. From Trial to Reality
21. Southward
22. Westward
23. After the Storm
24. Landfall
25. Islands and Moonlight
26. The Anchorage
27. Shipwreck
28. Roar as a Lion
29. Dawn Ashore
30. Roberts
31. The Delfe Treasure
32. Decisions
33. To Sea Again
34. The Route Onward
35. Toward Shelter
36. Haven
37. Calm in the Storm
38. Recognitions
39. Sharing with the Crew
40. The Measure of a Man
41. Gambolling Ashore
42. The French
43. Of Baring All
44. Of Crew and Tails
45. Southward Again
46. Toward Jamaica
47. Port Royal and Kingston
48. Complications
49. The Red Lion
50. Captain Peters
51. Resolution
52. Realisations
53. Of Independence
54. New Beginnings
56. The Governor
57. Northward
58. Distress
59. Rescue
60. Truthful Deceit
61. Return to Treasure Island
62. Homeward
Some of My Other Stories

55. An Evening Ashore

114 19 36
By ZonderZorg

The sun had dipped to near the hills at the western end of Kingston Harbour, and the heat of the day had eased when a carriage emblazoned with King George's Royal arms was reined to a stop on the wharf alongside Elizabeth. Its approach had been announced to Aldrick, so he and Elizabeth were at the companionway as it arrived and turned around.

While Aldrick escorted her down the gangplank, Elizabeth gathered her skirts in her white-gloved hands so as to not snag or stumble, and she muttered, "Why do women submit to such an awkward manner of dressing? Little wonder we are seen as weak and incapable, hampered in our movements by all of this."

"You look beautiful."

"I feel awkward."

"You disguise it well."

"Thinking of what Mother often said: Picture a swan gliding gracefully across the water's surface, paddling a frantic frenzy beneath."

Aldrick chuckled. "I must remember that."

A footman greeted them as they stepped onto the wharf, and he bowed, then escorted them to the door held open by the other footman. Aldrick waited as Elizabeth was assisted up the step and into the carriage, then he followed. Once they had settled, he said, "Peters, Andrews and others are watching."

"From Avenger?"

"From the bulwarks of whatever their new ship is called." He pointed to the curtains. "Should I open these and wave as the carriage passes them?"

Elizabeth tilted her head. "Would that be wise? It might be best that they not know we have recognised them, even though they have surely recognised you."

"Why would you think they have? I took only a fleeting glance toward their ship, and I turned away immediately I spotted them. Dressed as I am is so different from what I wore yesterday."

"But your tall stature, your broad shoulders, the graceful way you move; clothes do not disguise these."

"Then, it might be best if I acknowledge them that they know we know. Dissuade them if they are thinking of trying anything with Elizabeth." He peeked between the curtains, then opened the hatch and called to the coachman, "Stop beside the men at the rail of this ship."

When the carriage had been reined to a stop, Aldrick pulled back the curtains and opened the window. "Good evening, Captain Peters. We were told of your arrival, and I am pleased you have found a ship, but I have been too occupied with business to find any moment to greet you. Will you join me for coffee aboard mid-morning on the morrow?"

"And a good evening to you, Sir Aldrick. I would enjoy that, but the crew is anxious to sail at first light."

"Very well. Another time, perhaps." Aldrick saluted, then he bade the coachman continue.

Elizabeth nodded as they resumed their way. "He called you Sir Aldrick. As you said he might, he has learned who you are, and I now see your acknowledgement of them as a sly use of tactics. They know we are aware of their behaviour and their attitude, and that we would view them with suspicion. They will now assume we are prepared should they attempt anything."

"My thoughts, exactly." He pointed back toward the schooner. "I am pleased to see they are replacing the shrouds. Mister Boyle told me the owner had lost faith in them should the ship face a strong blow."

"What purpose do the shrouds serve?" She tilted her head. "Other than carrying the rattlings so we can climb aloft."

"They hold the masts upright, and they transfer the load of the sails to the hull. Without them, the masts would quickly collapse."

"Oh! Very important." They remained silent for a while, then she asked, "Will you now tell me about our hosts? You said you would as we rode."

Aldrick nodded. "Yes, no more ciphering to distract. Governor Hunter is Scottish by birth, but he ran away from an apothecary apprenticeship and joined the English Army. He earned a commission and rose to the rank of Major General. Queen Anne appointed him Governor of the Provinces of New York and New Jersey, and after ten years in those positions, the first King George appointed him Governor of Jamaica."

"A very accomplished man with a long history of loyal service to the Crown. How do you know so much about him?"

"He has entertained us on each visit." Aldrick shrugged. "It seems he does this with all influential visitors, and to each, he gives a detailed accounting of his service to England and to Britain. Father thought this is because he considers he has been passed over for a title, and he seeks ears to hear his story, hoping it might be passed on to the King."

Elizabeth tilted her head. "So, you will have to sit through it again. At least the details will be fresh for me. And the other gentleman? The one from the Customs House?"

"Radford had been the Comptroller of Customs in New Jersey and New York under Governor Hunter, and they arrived in Jamaica together. It is an unpaid appointment, its only remuneration being a portion of the collected tariffs and fees. Father often mentioned excessive charges others faced."

"I am pleased you are now more easily able to talk about your father." She reached up and stroked his beard. "So, there is corruption?"

"Yes, that names it well. But we have always been treated with fairness. And this adds to the argument that the Governor wants us to commend him to the King." Aldrick chuckled. "When he learns you are the firstborn of Baron Leigh, he will be all over himself to curry your favour."

Elizabeth winced. "Does he need to know?"

"It would ensure our continuing fair treatment with the Customs fees."

She nodded. "So, their wives? What do you know about them?"

"Not a jot. We have always dined as men only. I learned of their wives existence two days ago when Radford said they will include them."

"A big change. Why would he have done this?"

"When I mentioned you were aboard with me, and the invitation must be for the two of us."

Elizabeth leaned her head against his shoulder and sighed. "That is so very sweet of you. But will our being there keep you three from your business and political manipulations?"

"My hope is that it does, so it may be a more enjoyable evening. I have no business to conduct with them. It is they who manipulate." 

She nodded, then curious about the increasingly loud jabber, she pulled the curtains aside to find its source. "So many dark-skinned people. I have heard about them, and I have seen images of them in paintings, but I had not imagined them so beautifully coloured. Is this from living in these tropical latitudes and being exposed to a constant strong sun?"

"That is possibly a cause of it, but these people are not from here. They have been purchased in Africa and brought here to be sold as slaves."

"Oh!" Elizabeth raised a hand to her mouth as she examined the group more closely. "Many are naked or nearly so. Some only in tattered rags. Are they not provided with clothing?"

"Initially they are, but it seems few owners replace it unless it is for household staff.

"Like the liveried footmen?"

Aldrick sighed as he nodded. "Yes, those who have been trained to obey in much the same manner as we do with animals." He motioned out the window. "These appear to be for breeding and untrained labour."

While Elizabeth grimaced, Aldrick continued, "We will see many slaves this evening, and we must keep our opinions to ourselves. Slavery began here more than two centuries ago when the Spanish subjugated the local people." He shook his head. "But far worse, after England had won possession of Jamaica from Spain and began settling here, the new colonists purchased shipload after shipload of people from Africa to enable the development of the sugar plantations. And for many years now, the vast majority of the population of the island are slaves."

"And the Governor allows this to continue?"

"He does. Both he and Radford have a great many." He pointed out the window. "These are some of Radford's; we are now on his estate."

Elizabeth's grimace grew. "For how long are these people indentured?"

"Unfortunately, for their entire lives and the lives of their children, their grandchildren and on and on. But many of the Maroons have escaped into the mountains of the interior —"

"Maroons?" She tilted her head. "Shipwrecked like the French?"

"No, they are called Maroons because of the deep reddish-brown of their skin. They have formed their own communities in the mountains."

"That is a relief. They are now free."

Aldrick shook his head. "No, not free; hunted. Shortly after he arrived, Governor Hunter brought in a large contingent of the British Army and began a war to recapture or eradicate the Maroons, and after more than five years, it continues still. They are persecuted and in hiding."

Elizabeth was about to speak when the carriage door opened, the step was lowered, and a grey-gloved hand was extended to assist her down in front of a grand collonaded mansion.

After they had alighted, Aldrick escorted Elizabeth toward the portico and the doors which had been opened by liveried men, and he said in a voice which was just above a whisper, "This belongs to Comptroller Radford, likely built with the proceeds of excessive fees. It is much more grand than the mansion the King has provided for the Governor."

She nodded as she listened, then she asked, "How do we address them?"

"Neither is titled, so we out-rank them. But since they both hold high Royal appointments, I think sir is appropriate."

"I think cur is more suited than is sir. But I shall make an effort to hold my tongue."

"We both must."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

378K 16.6K 37
A privileged runaway. A notorious pirate. A vengeful lawman. A bloodthirsty killer. A young woman turns to a life of piracy to escape a life of pri...
94.1K 2.5K 57
This is the story of Governor Swann's youngest daughter, Elizabeth's youngest sister and the adventure's she takes with her older sister and her sist...
232K 9.4K 30
When a maid of honor to the Queen is rescued by a handsome and contentious pirate, she has to spend three days aboard his ship before returning to co...
11.2K 1.1K 52
Stuart Windes was an Englishman and a seasoned sailor; an old salt with 30 years at sea. When his mother passed on leaving his younger sister alone...