Mythica

By Zillioner

~IN PROGRESS~ A war wages between the Elysian and Faeryn, one that separates the lives of many and casts the... More

The Clearers
The Huntsman
A Smoky Meeting
Awful Truths
The VIP Longue
Into Darkness
The Jeweled Girl

Lost and Found

32 2 0
By Zillioner

Allie stood bobbing up and down lightly to the beat of the bass, mainly trying to get a good look over the sea of heads around her. The club air was hot and stuffy with the swell of bodies inside it, and neon lights flew around the dance floor, illuminating people's faces momentarily. It was difficult to make out who anyone was, though. Besides that and the strobe lights, it was completely dark. She clutched her drink to her as she moved, the red liquid inside it lapping roughly inside her cup.

Abandoning the project altogether, she stumbled through the crowd to the bathroom on the other side. She wouldn't be able to find Lia in the thick mess of sweaty people. Just one of the many reasons she hated clubs, among other things. She gratefully pushed open the door to the women's room, music still pounding in her head. There were a few people at the sink, none of whom were Lia. Disappointed, she headed over to the stalls. Her movement was sloppy, however, and she had to admit to herself she was a little drunk.

"Lia? Are you in here?" She called to the closed doors. She vaguely heard the sounds of someone puking coming from one, and tried not to let herself picture the mess that would be in that toilet. "Lia?" She shouted louder. No one answered her but the sound of flushing.

Frustrated, she emerged back into the club dance floor. There would be no way Lia would hear her calling her in here, she knew. The music threatened to give her a headache as the dj played a booming techno remix over the speakers. As she tried to shove through the crowd, she felt a pair of hands come up and grip her waist roughly. She spun quickly, preparing to slap the person across the face. A man greeted her with a sleazy smile, some of his teeth missing. He leaned in close enough for her to hear him, "Saw you looked lost. Thought I'd help lead you home." The smell of alcohol was pungent mixed with his sour breath.

She shoved him away hard. Hard enough that she fell back into the people behind her, causing them to fall over along with her. She tried to duck her head to avoid the impact, but ended up bumping it violently on someone's knee. Pain shot up her neck as she tried to collect herself enough to stand up, but her vision was black and she felt herself getting faint.

"Ow," She breathed, rubbing her head where it collided. She felt someone haul her to her feet underneath her arms, holding her steady. Her eyes flew open to see a boy who looked to be her age, his dark skin and eyes glowing under the neon lights. His face wore the expression of someone who just watched a car accident and didn't know if there were any fatalities.

"You okay? You just took a pretty bad spill." He said loudly over the music.

"Yeah, thanks." She lied, glancing around her for the person she fell onto, hoping to apologize. The man who had embraced her before looked like he was out for the count, his limp body on the dance floor. Some people were trying to wake him up and had cleared a makeshift circle around him. Luckily, she thought, the lights were too dim for anyone to make out exactly what happened to cause the fall. She didn't want to end up getting in legal trouble over some sloppy drunk guy.

"You gave me a good scare," The boy snapped her attention back to him, still holding her by her arms gently. It dawned on her slowly that he was the one she had fallen into, his nose bloody from where her head must have hit it.

"Oh God, I'm sorry." She said hastily, embarrassed. "I didn't mean to fall." She knew she looked as well as sounded drunk. Her black velvet top dipped dangerously low on her chest, and she hoisted it up quickly, realizing. Her drink had spilled in the fiasco and some of the red liquid soaked through her black jeans and shirt, smelling of fruit.

"It's no problem," He let her go. He had soft features and a warm smile, inviting trust without even knowing them. "I'm Maurice."

It seemed an odd time for introductions, she thought, but nonetheless said "I'm Allie," back. He brightened at her name, glancing over his shoulder toward the bar area away from the music.

"Do you want to sit down?" He offered.

"Oh, I"m okay." She declined awkwardly. She desperately wanted to just find Lia and head home. "I'm actually heading out soon. Just trying to find someone."

"Could I help?" One of his eyebrows shot up. He was very good-looking.

"No, thank you though." She tried giving him the most sincere smile she could muster. She knew she must be coming off as a complete idiot, but could do nothing about it. Her hair stuck to the sides of her neck and down her chest.

"No problem," He said, and walked off not before giving her a last smile.

If she didn't hate clubs before, she definitely did now. She emerged out of the side exit to the street and was met with a couple of teens high on something. Two people down the alley were embraced in a sloppy make out, and a few people were just standing around smoking. The air was freezing out and she was without anything to wrap herself up to get warm. Clutching at her sides, she walked down the road and pulled out her phone. Not a single notification, she remarked. Lia must really be having a fun time. She dialed her number and waited on the sidewalk, teeth chattering.

It went to voicemail. "Dammit Lia," Allie cursed, hanging up and resorting to texting her instead. 

Where are you? I'm outside and ready to leave when you are.

The sound of laughter pulled her head up as across the way she saw the two people making out earlier heading toward her. She moved out of their way against the grimy wall of the club, clutching her phone to her. She felt it vibrate against her the next second.

I'm on my way out. 

She breathed a sigh of relief at the text, wondering why on earth she couldn't answer her call a second ago. Although she probably wouldn't have even been able to hear her with the music. She was standing against the wall, her one leg up behind her, the other shaking madly from the cold. Out of the corner of her eye, she thought she saw the couple stop and turn to look at her. She hastily glanced their way, but saw them duck around a corner at the end of the street. Why am I getting so jumpy?, she thought to herself. Then again, she wasn't exactly having a great night. Her head throbbed and it sounded like she was in a wind tunnel.

"Hey, you okay?" Lia appeared at her side, her black hair frizzing out of the ponytail a bit from humidity. Her dark eyes looked worryingly at Allie, as if immediately suspecting something had happened. Her sequin top and black skirt shown under the streetlight, black thigh high boots caked in a layer of dirt.

"Yeah, just ready to leave." Lia knew she didn't like clubs, but Allie still went because Lia wanted her to. In Lia's words, she "needed a wing-woman". Allie didn't exactly think that was necessary, though, Lia as breathtaking as she was.

Lia was clearly a little drunk as well but she always handled it better than Allie. She gently grabbed Allie's arm, guiding her down the sidewalk. She smelled sweet and a bit like alcohol, but not nearly as much as Allie must've smelled, she thought. She wondered what she looked like after spilling all her drink on herself. She looked down at her body, her black jeans with slits at the knees appearing a little worse for wear. Her boots were scuffed, and her skin gleamed with the remnants of the sticky liquid.

"Sorry I took so long. I think I might've had a shot with someone tonight, but I messed it up. I always tell the worst jokes when I drink." Said Lia gravely, but she wore a smile.

"Sorry to interrupt that." Allie said non-convincingly. She tried to mask it, but she was always jealous when Lia would talk about flirting with other people.

Lia just laughed, still holding Allie's arm gently. "There'll be other nights."

"Yeah." Allie was so tired, but she knew they didn't have long to go before they were back to their apartment. The comfort of a warm shower and her soft bed danced in her mind dreamily. She was somewhat of a homebody, compared to Lia who loved going out to explore new places and party.

Eventually, they reached the apartment entrance. Lia fumbled in her bag for the keys, Allie chittering her teeth behind her. Her makeup still looked intact despite the sweat that dripped from her face, shining off the light from the foyer. Somehow, despite not having drank in a while, Allie felt more drunk than before. She swayed on the spot, clutching at the wall for support.

"Had a bit too much?" Lia spied her through her thick eyelashes. "You never know your limit."

"Cut me some slack, I didn't have a good night."

"What do you mean?" Lia looked hurt somehow. She always felt like if Allie didn't have a good experience somewhere they went that was her choosing, it was her fault. Allie felt a pang of guilt ring through her. She hadn't meant to make her feel bad.

"I just have a headache is all." She lied, and when Lia still looked concerned, she added, "I think I've been staying up too late recently. Watching shows."

"We didn't have to go tonight. You should've told me you didn't feel good." Lia said simply.

"I didn't know till I started drinking." Allie knew she sounded drunk.

"Yeah, well drinking can do that." Lia said teasingly. Allie shot her a look that said plainly, no shit. Lia shot her a half-sympathizing half-amused look. It was all Allie could do not to stare at how nice she looked under even the dingy streetlights. 

Allie knew she was a bit of loud mouth when she was drunk. Tonight was one such instance. She couldn't stop the words from coming if she tried, "You're so pretty." Immediately, she wished she could suck the words back into her mouth. She had always told herself that drinking was a dangerous thing that can make people do and say things they wouldn't sober, and had trained herself to be less disclosing drunk. Yet here she was, being all the more honest, and yet sounding twice as dumb and insincere saying it.

"You're pretty too," Lia said, looking more amused than anything. Yet, there was another look under it, one that Allie couldn't read. Does she not realize?, Allie thought.

"Lia..." Allie steadied herself on the wall again, losing her grip for a second. Lia stood rooted to the spot, looking expectant. Looking as though she knew what she was going to say. But how could she? "I..." Allie began dumbly.

She wouldn't have to think of what to say next, however, cause in the next instant Lia was kissing her. Allie fell back harshly onto the wall behind her, her already injured head bumping roughly on the brick. She brought her arms up to steady herself on Lia, who was holding her gently. Allie couldn't believe that she was kissing her, and she didn't even have to be the one to go in for it first. Lia, who always had girls and guys fall for her with ease, who had always made Allie wish she could see how much she wanted to be with her.

"You're so cold," Lia broke off to say, her forehead still connected with Allie's. Allie could smell and taste the lingering alcohol on her breath. 

Allie knew she was right. She was freezing and her skin was like ice. But somehow despite that she had never felt so warm. "How did you know I liked you?" The question begged in her mind to be answered.

"I've known for a while." Lia said with a smile.

"Then... why would you try to make me jealous by getting with all those girls? Why not just tell me you liked me back? Or did you not know until now?"

"I haven't actually hooked up with anyone in a while," Lia sighed, bring her head apart from Allie's. "I couldn't figure out how I felt, so it was easier to just wait. But tonight... I can't explain it. I just knew it."

"Knew what?" Allie was breathless.

"Knew that I liked you too." Lia cupped Allie's face in her hand, scanning her face. Allie's blue eyes were striking in contrast to the darkness of her hair. "I feel the same about you."

"Lia..." Allie felt so happy she could cry. She never imagined it would be this easy. She always thought it was impossible her best friend would like her back, thought that she would forever be stuck watching Lia hookup with girl after girl until she fell in love with someone that wasn't her. And it would break her heart, she knew, but she would still be as close to Lia as she'd allow.

"Come on, let's go in." Lia said, finally getting out the keys and fumbling through them. She began to try each one on the lock in turn. Allie stared, confused.

"It's the black one." She said to Lia's shoulder.

"Sorry, I think I'm a little drunker than I thought." She giggled, opening the door to their flat. They walked in together, Lia holding Allie's hand as she led them through the foyer into the living room. She turned suddenly, pulling Allie by her waist until she brought their lips together again. Slowly, she laid Allie back on the couch until she was straddled between her legs. Something about the grip she had on her waist was making Allie's mind race.

Lia pulled Allie's shirt off in one swift movement, making Allie gasp under her touch. Gently, she ran her hands up and around her chest. "Lia..." Allie whispered under the kiss, "Are you sure you really feel the same?" She felt like things were moving too fast, she had wanted to slowly reveal her love to her and let it be received naturally. The whole thing felt like a train going one hundred miles an hour that she couldn't stop.

"Of course I'm sure. I love you, Allie." Lia said, letting her hands trace down Allie's sides to her waist. Her mouth worked it's way down her lips to her neck, where she kissed her gently. Allie knew this was what she wanted, she wanted Lia to tell her she loved her too, more than anything. Yet somehow this felt more like a dream than reality.

"Can we slow down just a bit? I wanted... I've wanted to..." Allie trailed off as Lia showed no signs of slowing. The sensation at her neck was doing weird things to her mind; she felt both completely awake and under a spell all at once. Lia's hands danced to her sides, where she made slow, soft movements. Her mind was swimming with so many thoughts, she wanted to savor the moment but felt too drunk to do anything but be still.

"You're so pretty, Allie. You have a great body." Lia said against her neck, her breath tickling Allie's skin.

"It's funny, I always thought you were the pretty one between us." Allie said dreamily. She was unused to Lia saying these things to her, it felt like all her wishes had come true. Her eyes were closed and her eyelashes brushed her cheeks as she let Lia embrace her.

"You'll be even prettier soon," Lia said in a whisper, and Allie's eyes flew open, suddenly alert. The voice that came from Lia wasn't Lia's at all, and who straddled her when she looked wasn't her either. It was the man from the club, his ugly and decrepit self hunched over her like a tick. Allie didn't even time to scream as he bit roughly into her neck, the teeth that were missing before suddenly present as fangs.

All that she could register after that was pain and a distant scream that she wasn't sure was her own or if it belonged to someone else. Her insides felt like they were on fire, and she spasmed under his unyielding grip. A million thoughts ran inside her head, but none that she could hold onto long enough. As she kicked and writhed he only seemed to put more pressure on her. She was suffocating; no- she could feel herself dying. All the blood was draining from her; that much she was sure of, as her breathing slowed and she felt like she was falling from a long, long drop. She barely had time to think that it wasn't Lia after all, Lia had never loved her, she would never love her: before she succumbed to the darkness and was still.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

205 58 30
*Book one of the ongoing Moon chasers trilogy" When war is declared by the king of Sivion against the Bevinian empire Jory find himself caught in the...
8.5K 104 28
𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐈 𝐥𝐞𝐟𝐭, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤. ~ Four years ago, Evelyn was pushed...
64 0 5
A world once full of chaos, Rhymeae finally lives in peace. The dragons have been contained, Humans are thriving and the King is on the throne. But t...
305K 22.3K 35
- You cannot pretend forever. - While the demons have started gaining ground in the war once again, they are still falling behind when it comes to p...