Crash Into Me | βœ“

By moonraess

[WATTYS 2018 WINNER - THE HEARTBREAKERS] They say "the cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the... More

introduction
playlist+extras
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
conclusion
other work by me

twenty-nine

20.9K 1K 92
By moonraess

I stood over my threadbare blue suitcase, wide open with it's contents strewn across my bed. It was as if it got sick - a food poisoning from being stuffed with too many ugly, colorful dresses and shorts and socks.

I groaned and pulled at my hair, letting chunks of blonde locks fall flat over my face. I gazed past my open door and to my sister's room. The door was shut. I thought about knocking, but I could already see how that conversation would play out.

"You can pick your own outfits" she would snap, or "you're an adult, you don't need my help making decisions."

The day after our argument she acted like nothing had happened, but she carried her short, clipped tone and general avoidance tactics into the following weeks. I should have felt bad for some of the things I said to her, but what she did was worse. Much worse. I might have hurt her with my words, but it felt like she had taken a knife, stabbed me with it, and then continued to twist the handle.

My phone buzzed somewhere underneath a pile of shirts, and I tossed them to the side over my bed until I found it, smiling to myself at Brooklyn on the caller ID. It was a photo I had snuck while we were at the beach. His back was to me, but his head was turned around, smiling that big dorky smile of his with his cheeks tinged pink from the sun and the heat. Water glistened on his hair, and sand dusted his shoulders. I had never been a great photographer, but I'd be lying if I said he didn't make it easy for me.

"I'm outside. Are you almost ready?" His voice came through the phone as soon as I swiped to answer.

I eyed my suitcase. "Define ready."

I heard a groan from the other end of the phone. "Nat, we're only going for a weekend, and it's a two hour drive away."

After a few moments of silence, he sighed. "You were definitely just in bed reading all morning instead of getting ready. Just admit it."

"You know me so well." I couldn't help but chuckle. I held up a lime green tank top, scrunched my nose at it and tossed it to the floor. "I'm just trying to be strategic about the clothes I'm bringing."

Brooklyn groaned into the phone again. "It doesn't matter what you bring. You'll look great anyway. You always look great."

I saw a flash of blonde hair in the corner of my eye. "I'll be down in five minutes," I said hurriedly and hung up the phone before he could answer. I turned to see Nikki leaning against the doorframe in an oversized pink hoodie that almost covered her tiny running shorts. She jerked her head in the direction of my suitcase.

"You should bring that navy dress you bought," she said in a dry tone as she chomped on her gum. "It compliments your eyes."

I let out a long exhale, eyeing the dress that was splayed out so neatly over my pile of mess. The little glints of gold in the threading of the dress shone even in the dim lights of my bedroom.

"Thanks," I offered with a faint smile.

"Welcome," Nikki huffed in response, turning on her heel and walking back across the hall to her room.

I took one last look at the dress before grabbing it and stuffing it in my suitcase.

The Grand Island Estate definitely lived up to its name - it was actually its own private island, and the entire estate was on acres of open land, with little inlets of water running through the open fields that spilled in from the ocean. The entranceway was well manicured, and the lengthy driveway leading up to the estate was lined with rows of colorful flowers that swayed gently in the breeze. It was dusk by the time Brooklyn and I had arrived, and the sun was barely visible as it sunk behind the horizon of the ocean, darkening the sky and turning it a greyish purple color.

Brooklyn refused to let me carry my own suitcase as we trekked from the gravel parking lot through the property, passing the main pool deck and an extravagant garden where I was sure the wedding would take place. Further off in the distance, a dock jutted out into the bay. The property was quiet and empty, with most of the hotels patrons either enjoying a luxurious seafood dinner on the water, or prepping for nightlife.

Another section of the estate stretched far past the main building, which looked more like a row of condos, in the same slate gray color. It had its own smaller, gated-off pool, and strings of lights hung low between the trees.

"My parents rented a suite here," Brooklyn said as he swiped the keycard into the room. "My dad is working so they'll be here tomorrow. Ella is supposed to be here already."

The entire floor plan of the suite was open, with all the bedrooms and bathrooms to the left, and a small eat-in kitchen that blended into the common area to the right. Large sliding glass doors covered the far side of the room that opened up into the balcony. The bay was barely visible in the dark, but I could hear the faint sloshing of the waves in the distance.

"I'm here already," Ella called from the room closest to the balcony. "I've already claimed this room. And I don't want to hear any thumping, humping, moaning or groaning from you two. I need my beauty sleep."

My cheeks flushed a brilliant red. After giving his sister a disgusted look, Brooklyn slung his arm around my shoulder and guided me into the bedroom closest to the door. A queen-sized bed was pushed against the far wall, adorned with plain white sheets and pale blue accent pillows. I took my time unpacking, realizing how excessive I had been with choosing how much to bring after running out of space in the small dresser by the bed. I delicately hung my dress bag in the closet, brushing over Brooklyn's eccentric patterned suit jacket. Heat filled my face at the thought of seeing him all dressed up, and I wondered if he was thinking the same thing about me.

"Well, it's still early." Brooklyn sat on the edge of the bed and beckoned me over. I stood over him, my hands on his shoulders to steady myself as he gently ran his hand up my thigh. He looked up at me, and his blue eyes had a devious glint to them.

"We have the whole night to ourselves." Brooklyn took my hands off his shoulders and held them gently in his. "You want to explore a little?"

I glanced at the bed, neatly made and so inviting, and then back at Brooklyn, still grinning and glowing and everything that made my stomach flutter.

"Lead the way." Natalie asked.

"I have an idea." He gave me a wink, then quickly pulled me out of the suite and down to the courtyard below. Tiny lights twinkled above us in the trees, and a cool breeze cut through me and sent goosebumps prickling up my skin. I rubbed at my arms.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

Brooklyn stayed silent and raised his eyebrows. He led me down through the courtyard and out to the empty pool deck. The surface of the pool was calm and clear, like a sheet of glass was laid over it. The lights above the pool reflected glowing, pale yellow dots on the water.

"Up for a late night swim?" He asked with a grin as he pushed the gate to the pool open.

"But I didn't bring a bathing suit," I replied, my arms still wrapped around my shivering body.

Brooklyn chuckled. He grabbed the hem of his faded Carolina Panthers t-shirt and pulled it over his head, exposing his freckled chest. Goosebumps continued to run along my skin.

He clicked his tongue at me. "You've never gone skinny dipping before, have you?"

I shook my head. "And I intend on keeping it that way. Someone could totally see us here."

"Oh come on," Brooklyn pleaded. He slid his shorts off so that he was only in his boxers. "Live a little, babe."

Suddenly I wasn't so cold anymore. He motioned for me to come over to him, and with every step I took I heard my heart throb in my ears.

"What if someone catches us?" I whispered.

Brooklyn reached down and tenderly pulled my loose dress over my head. I silently thanked past me for picking out a lacy matching bra and panties set. He discarded it next to his own clothes. "Look around. Nobody's here. We're out of sight. I promise it'll be okay."

I inhaled through my nose and nodded. "Okay, but-"

Before I could even finish my sentence, my whole body jerked forward and hit the surface of the water. I sunk to the bottom, letting the cold chill my heated nerves. When I came back up for air, I felt Brooklyn pull me up into his chest. I smacked him on the arm.

"Not funny," I snapped. "I wasn't ready!"

"That's the whole point," he shrugged. He grinned and reached down into the water and wiggled me out of my bra and underwear, tossing them and his boxers onto the side of the pool.

"That's not so bad, is it?" Brooklyn gave me his usual cheesy grin.

"No," I sighed out. "It's not."

Brooklyn smoothed my wet hair back and kissed my forehead. "You're beautiful," he said softly.

"I'm pretty sure I look like a drowned rat right now," I scoffed.

"Stop it." Brooklyn splashed me. "I mean it. I don't know what I've done to deserve you. You're perfect." He looked down at me, and I swore that the moon had come down from the sky and made a home in his eyes.

My heart swelled. I leaned my head into Brooklyn's so our foreheads were touching. Water dripped off our hair and onto each other's cheeks.

"I'm so glad I met you Brooklyn Keller," I said in barely a whisper. "I feel like everything bad fades away when I'm with you." Our noses rubbed against each other. Brooklyn brought his lips gently to mine, and I felt him smiling against my mouth.

"Me too," he whispered in between kisses. "You make me want to be a better person...better than I ever thought I could be."

"You are a good person." I held his face in my hands and stroked his cheeks with my thumbs. "I promise."

Brooklyn pulled away from me, and his smile faded. I ran my fingers along his jaw, stopping at his mouth and letting them brush over his lips.

"Nat," he mumbled against my hand. "I have to tell you something."

"Tell me what?" I jerked back, feeling my heart jump into my throat.

He must have sensed the uneasiness in my voice, because he offered me a faint smile. "It's nothing bad. It's just...something you should know. I've just had a hard time figuring out how to tell you."

"Well, what is it?" I repeated, feeling my heartbeat slow.

Brooklyn rubbed his hand over the side of his face and groaned. "I just..."

He closed his eyes and dunked his head under the water, coming back to the surface and pushing his wet hair out of his face.

I grinned and splashed him. "Come on, spit it out."

Brooklyn splashed me back, and when I closed my eyes he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into him. His warmth engulfed me.

"Natalie..." he said in a breathy voice. "I think...I mean, I don't think, I know that I...um..."

A redness crept up his cheeks as he chewed on his bottom lip. He closed his eyes and sighed, and I felt every nerve I had shudder in anticipation.

Suddenly a group of raised voices penetrated the night air, growing louder as they came closer.

"Shit," Brooklyn hissed as he pulled me to the edge of the pool. He hoisted himself out, and then reached down and lifted me out of the water with ease. He wrapped me in a towel he grabbed from a chair before gathering our clothes and yanking me towards the gate, ducking behind a row of bushes as we bolted back to the hotel suite in just our stolen towels.

We made it back to our room, laughing and chests heaving as we tried to catch our breath.

"Well, trying not to get caught is half the fun," Brooklyn said with a chuckle. He fumbled around the pockets of his shorts for his wallet.

"Hey..." I bit my lip. "What were you going to tell me before?"

Brooklyn cleared his throat. "Nothing. It wasn't important."

He gave me a weak smile before turning around and retreating into the suite. I felt a shiver run through me as water still dripped off my body.

✗✗✗

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 149 41
She always made her life seem good to all her friends, so no one ever cared to take a deeper look into what it's liked behind closed doors. Everyday...
184K 9.1K 39
Sugar McKenzie and August Wakefield couldn't be more different - Sugar, a meticulous, caring, but lonely paramedic and August, a charming former real...
1.7M 50.8K 37
She thought she lost herself in love, but in fact she was found. Copyright Β© 2016 by moonpilots. All rights reserved. {featured on the official wat...
944 105 15
*COMPLETEDβœ”* disclaimer: UNEDITED!!!