The Greater Good [Grindelwald...

By buckskin_equus

An alternative version of Crimes of Grindelwald. Gellert is struggling under the weight of his burdens, feeli... More

Disclaimer
~Chapter One ~ Durmstrang Institute (Part 1)
~Chapter One~ Durmstrang Institute (Part 2)
~Chapter Two ~ Testing times
~Chapter Three~ Anxieties
~ Chapter Four ~ Caught
~Chapter Five~ Exams
~Chapter Six~ Godric's Hollow
~ Chapter Seven~ Albus Dumbledore
~Chapter Eight~ Connections
~Chapter Nine~ The Heat of Summer
~Chapter Ten~ Sharing Information
~Chapter Eleven~ Stolen Information
~Chapter Twelve~ Secrets Revealed
~Chapter Thirteen~ Aberforth
~Chapter Fourteen ~ The Flaw in the Plan
~Chapter Fifteen~ Into the Wind
~Chapter Sixteen ~ Dead End
~Chapter Seventeen~ History Repeated
~Chapter Eighteen~ Happy Birthday
~Chapter Nineteen~ The wandmaker
~Chapter Twenty~ The Elder Wand
~ Chapter Twenty One~ Ministerium für Magie
Chapter Twenty Two ~ A Parting of Ways
Chapter Twenty Three ~ War
Chapter Twenty Five ~ Mercy
Chapter Twenty Six ~ Battle of Nurmengard

Chapter Twenty Four ~ Rescue

187 5 2
By buckskin_equus

Gellert stood bent over a map, watching two opposing sides make strategic movements against each other like a chess match. Their trails making a distorted web of tunnels and tracks across the sodden earth. Every few minutes a small puff of smoke would rise from the map, leaving another scorch mark. He sighed. The western front was on the move again.

He took out his pocket watch, a heavy silver clock with multiple dials, he pulled the setting bezel out by a third. Twisted it slowly until one of the dials matched the longitude of the next city to be hit. Pulling out another third, he turned the dial to the latitude, and once he was sure his coordinates were correct he pressed the bezel back in place.

Miles away the pocket watch of one of his generals became uncomfortably warm against his chest. He swore as he read the coordinates. He was the closest man. Tapping the watch with his wand the numbers around the main clock face glowed for a moment.

Gellert sat watching his watch, waiting for the numbers to illuminate. Three was first to glow green, Albert had received his order and was on the move. Next was seven, Kieran was offering assistance. He put the watch away and went back to the map.

Albert apparated to a village a fair distance from the battlefield. The clearness of the day allowed the rumble of gunfire to drown out the songbirds. He did not attempt to conceal himself, he needed the wizards to know he was there.

He set himself up on Mainstreet and started his act. Belching great flames without the assistance of flammable liquids. He juggled blue flames in his hands, much to the delight of children who flicked their pocket money at his feet.

"You will be dragged before the ministry if anyone reports you." A woman hissed as she pulled her wide-eyed child away from the scene.

"They are too busy. Too busy to try and save you from the approaching front." He said, still juggling his flames.

She snorted back her laughter, "The front is miles away, it would take days for them to reach the town, and even then we would be evacuated before it hit."

"You have too much faith in a government that forbids you to act in a manner to protect yourself from a justifiable threat."

Frustrated by her steadfastness he pointed his wand to the statue in the town square. The rearing horse melded into a proud centaur, his bow pulled back to let loose an arrow. It whizzed past Albert's ear and stuck fast in the wooden window frame of a shop.

The statue turned slowly, pulling back a fresh arrow and eyeing up the target. It sailed through the air and landed at the child's feet. Fear and amazement blossomed in his eyes.

"It is a warning for all magic folk to leave before the soldiers come," Albert said, kneeling to the child's level.

"Don't you dare scare my son."

"Stay here and you won't have a son in the morning."

The centaur let loose another arrow, taking the hat off a gentleman's head. He yelped and looked wildly for the source of the attack. His jaw fell open as another arrow pointed out a witch leaving the bakery.

"What is this?" The man brushed his hand through his thinning hair to ensure he hadn't received any damage.

"I need you and all the other wizards to leave town tonight," Albert explained, "the front is going to lurch forward and take the town."

"Hogwash, it's miles from here. You just want my house, don't you?" The man got up in Albert's face.

"It won't exist this time tomorrow, all because our government refuse to stop the muggles."

"I've had enough of you lot, traipsing through our village spreading propaganda, raising tensions between us and our neighbours."

"Do you know how much magical blood has been spilt for this muggle feud?" Albert took a deep breath to chill his temper.

"It's our choice to stay."

"You must keep magic alive, your blood is precious."

"Are you going to pay me to have children? Because I haven't got the money to support any additions to my family, the magical community doesn't pay enough."

"The ministry refuses to lower taxes, to make our jobs more competitive with muggle rates, we need to make a change."

"So you want me to leave my wife, she's a muggle?" He scrunched up his face as another arrow whizzed through the air.

Albert watched a young girl dive into an alleyway to avoid the projectile. "Your children would still have magic, she could go with you."

"Where would we go?" The man shook his head and attempted to leave. He was greeted by another arrow.

"Greymeddow, Las Christas, Villias. Any of the magic exclusive cities away from the war." Albert sighed and tried to follow the scared girl. A hand tightened around his arm and pulled him back.

"And her family? She won't leave them behind."

"If you can get them there, I'm sure they will be looked after." Albert shrugged out of his grip, aware that a crowd was starting to gather around them.

"The statute of secrecy..." the man whispered, aware that the muggles were gathering too, attracted to the drama.

"It has been a noose around our necks for a long time and it doesn't work in anyone's favour." Albert gestured to the throng and whispered "All these people will be slaughtered, our side know but refuse to intervene. Is that right?"

The man shook his head and hurried away, grabbing his wife from the grocers and pulling her down the street.

"And what about the muggles?" said the woman outside the bakery, an arrow embedded in her handbag.

Albert shrugged his shoulders, "This is their war."

"Is it? Did any of these people choose the side they find themselves on? Did they vote for this battle, did they act in a manner to bring this about?"

"They're still muggles."

"You lied to him. His wife and her relatives won't be treated fairly. I wouldn't be surprised if you threw them out."

"You want me to give them all the same chance?" Albert raised an eyebrow.

"It is the fairest thing to do."

As the words left her lips Albert pointed his wand to the sky. Dark clouds of smoke advanced on the horizon. The sound of the guns grew until the windows rattled in their frames. "They're coming! Save your children, flee to the hills."

The effect was instantaneous. Streets filled with pandemonium, women grabbed their children by any available limb, pulling them to safety. They dropped their shopping and fled from the amplified sounds of war.

An elderly man fell in the free-for-all. He wailed but the noise was lost to the stampede. The witch ran forward, brushing people away until she was close enough to haul him off the dirty street.

"Good enough?" Albert asked.

"Look what you have done." She gestured to the proud bruising appearing on the gentleman's forehead, "they're in a panic, not able to think clearly, people will be hurt."

"but they have been told."

"I'm not leaving, this is my home." The old man croaked.

Albert pulled out his canteen and offered the old man a drink of water. "And would you, good sir, want this young lady to die trying to protect you?"

"No," he looked alarmed, "You go, you've got your whole life ahead of you, mine is drawing to a close. This is where I want to die, my wife is here, my firstborn son," he started to tear up, "I've got an old rifle. I'll do my best to keep them back. You go, run, get to someplace safe, both of you." He got up, his knees wobbling as he hurried away.

"You heard the man," Albert said, twirling the hands of his pocket watch.

"No one should die alone."

"Fine," he pointed hid wand at the old mans back, "Avadakadavra" he smiled at her, twisting his body away until he was no longer stood in the town square, but in a small clearing to the east of a large castle.

***

Gellert dozed by the fire, when he heard approaching footsteps he snapped awake. His eyes struggled to focus on the map. "Did you clear Broviditch?"

"With a little difficulty. All of ours are out," Albert said proudly.

"You're late." Gellert watched the inky blue colour of one army seep to the edge of town. "Too close."

"As I said, there was a little difficulty..."

"You need to be more persuasive. This map is good but it doesn't give us much time."

"I'll keep that in mind for next time," Albert sank into a chair.

A great commotion called their attention downstairs, both of them ran down two flights to see Kieran struggling to hold on to a wizard.

"You can't do this, I have rights, let me go." The stranger threw a punch which flew over Kieran's shoulder.

"Enough," Gellert yelled. He cast a full body bind on their guest. The man toppled over, face-first against the stone floor, his nose making a defined cracking sound. "What is this? Why did you bring him here?"

"He duelled me, telling me not to interfere with muggle rights, even when I tried to explain that the people he's trying to protect want to blow him to pieces. He was getting too much support, so I took him prisoner." Keiran jinxed the bound wizard, blisters erupted on the man's skin.

"This is not what I built this place for, but it seems I have little choice but to make it so since he now knows too much."

"Did you not see this coming?" Albert toyed.

"Why do you think I built the cells?" Gellert replied, "This castle is built for all eventualities, you must be prepared to adapt to the situation."

"There are cells?" Kieran asked, wondering how he had missed them on the several occasions he had wandered about the castle lost.

"Holding cells, prisoner cells, and, although I hope to never need them, execution cells." Gellert narrowed his eyes on Keiran. He enjoyed the squirm but longed to be back in his darkened room. "Take him to the north tower."

Gellert got a surprise as he opened the door. A large bird perched on his chair. The size of an adult peacock, it was the colour of living fire. His heart skipped a beat as he recognised the proud creature.

He pulled the envelope apart, not caring about papercuts or the bird's accusatory glare. Fawkes meant Albus was ready to take the next step. He licked his lips.

Dear Gellert,

I hope that this letter reaches you safely. The ministry has gotten wind of our friendship and it has made writing to you a challenge. I hate to send Fawkes away for long trips, but this is of utmost importance.

I am sorry to hear about your father's passing. While you may not have seen eye to eye, he was your father and I know the pain that loss must bring. I heard their suspicions but I cannot believe you would do such a thing. Your mother, naturally, believes or had implied the worst of you and they have been eager to take her word. I feel for you, Gellert.

Stay Safe,

Love Albus.

Gellert read the letter multiple times to ensure he had read it correctly. His brain would not allow him to believe that a bright man such as Albus would believe him innocent after the mess with Ariana.

"What a curious thing love is?" He smiled, remembering the summer and scent of hay. A far cry from the bleak mountain view outside his window. A single sweet dropped out of the envelope. He popped it in his mouth and savoured the citrus tang. Sherbert lemon, Albus' favourite. Tears ran freely down his cheeks. The time for love was over.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

811 13 14
Albus is fresh out of Hogwarts and is stuck at home to care for his younger siblings after the tragic death of his mother. He meets Gellert Grindelwa...
173K 9.5K 25
in which two boys, living in a world where being gay is considered the 'norm,' are destined to marry one another, but they wish to do so on their own...
24K 1.5K 52
**COMPLETED** Cover made by @siriusblackisgreat Co-written by @famdomtrash24000 •Strong Language •Homophobic Slurs •Physical Abuse ~Includes use and...
178K 7.1K 23
Albus Dumbledore. A man hung on despair from the loss of his friend, his lover, due to differing opinions in their adolescent years, has brought hims...