The Moving Castle: Howl's Mov...

By JustHowItGoes

Hidden in the Waste, Howl's moving castle roams, powered by the very powerful fire-demon Calcifer. Delacy was... More

Prologue: Part 1
Prologue: Part 2
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
NEW STORY

Chapter 1

5.2K 142 5
By JustHowItGoes

That was five years ago, Delacy's twenty-fifth birthday had just passed and Howl had searched far and wide for the perfect gifts for her. Wrapped in baby-blue wrapping paper and tied with a pastel pink bow, Howl had brought her a collection of the oldest and probably the rarest collection of Merlin's textbooks. Howl had spoken of how Merlin himself was said to have written it himself. Seeing the awe and love that Delacy had when she saw the books resting on her lap and how delicately she ran her fingers over the hardcover of the book, brought Howl more joy than any woman he spent the evenings wooing. But once her awe ran its course, Delacy allowed logic to enter her. Looking from the book she looked at Howl with a raised brow.

"How much did it cost us, Howell?" She asked with pursed lips.

"Uh ah ah!" Tsk Howl with a waving finger. "It's against the rules to tell the birthday girl how much her gifts cost."

"It does when it's the money that we earn, Howl!" Delacy spoke with a roll of her eyes.

But she huffed when Howl ignored her, walking away Howl returned with more wrapped presents laying them in front of her gently. He smiled as he watched her open them. More dresses, makeup, perfume, shoes and of course more books. There was even the finest made watercolour paints and paper for her to use, he knew she was running out but she never told him. She never did and so Howl had to always find out himself what Delacy needed because she would never tell him.

"Thank you, Howl," Delacy whispered looking over the paints.

"You're welcome, Delacy." Howl smiled.

"My turn! My turn!" Markl yelled presenting his present.

Taking a step back, Howl smiled seeing the bright and large smile form on Delacy. A soft laugh left her, but she covered it with her hand. Reaching out to take the messily wrapped present, it was obvious that the ten-year-old had wrapped it himself. The present was wrapped with brown butcher's paper and it was tied with butcher's string in a simple bow. Tearing away the paper, Delacy was faced with a small pink box, lifting the lid off, Delacy's saw a necklace. It was a complicated design of a crescent moon made out of many tiny gold threads. Embedded in the many gold threads were little blue stones, lapis lazuli, Delacy thought.

"Do you like it?" Markl asked, worried when Delacy didn't say anything, he watched as the older woman brushed the charm.

Lifting her head up, Delacy smiled, a loving smile. "I love it!" She gushed pulling the boy into her arms. "Thank you so much, Markl! It's absolutely beautiful!"

"Really!" Cheered Markl, pulling his head back so he could see Delacy's face. "Howl helped me pick it!"

"Did he now?" Delacy questioned as she looked form Markl and then to Howl who was standing near Calcifer. "Well, you two did a fine job!"

"Put it on!" Markl exclaimed, pushing the necklace towards her.

Laughing gently, Dalacy picked the necklace up, moving her long hair to one side of her neck she began to put the necklace on. But her fingers wouldn't bend in the way she needed them to, seeing her struggles, Howl immediately rushed to her side. Taking the necklace from her hands, he clicked the necklace into place. Once done, he moved her hair back to her back

"Thank you, Howl." She smiled up at him.

Looking down, he smiled back, his now dyed blond locks falling onto his face. When Howl had first coloured his hair blond, Delacy couldn't help but see the similarity to her original hair colour. Not that she would have told Howl. But, she didn't know that she was right, Howl had indeed dyed his hair blond in remembrance of the blonde hair he used to love. Plus, Howl also liked how the blond brought out the shade of blue of his eyes.

                                                                                                 *****

It wasn't long after her birthday that Howl left the castle, possibly to destroy more battleships and to of course woo more women who he found beautiful. Delacy would always scoff and roll her eyes, when he would come back smelling of cheap or expensive perfume, and how he would parade the lipstick stains on his neck and body. Delacy would yell at Howl that this was no example to be setting for a young boy, especially his apprentice. And for some time, Howl had listened, but sometimes he would forget and Delacy would yell at him again. However, what Delacy didn't know that Markl wasn't the only reason for her to always be cross when she saw the marks that women left on Howl. It was the beginning of a little green-bug forming and set in her.

It was just Delacy and Calcifer that day with Howl being away to God knows where. Markl was locked away in his room, either playing with the new toy Howl had brought for him. Or creating commissions for customers. Either way, Delacy was alone with her thoughts aside from the occasional comments from Calcifer. Delacy has decided that she would attempt to clean the pig-sty that Howl had created and left them to live in. Moving towards the dining table, that was a mountain of books and odds-and-ends. Delacy began by picking up a large and heavy book. But it seemed to prove to be too much for the woman. She soon began coughing as she quickly dropped the heavy book. She noticed the older she got, the weaker she was becoming. She found herself becoming even more frail and weaker, often and easier becoming sick. The simple tasks were becoming a difficulty for her. And Delacy always felt guilty when Howl or Markl would have to care for her.

"I don't think you should be doing that." Spoke Calcifer, even though his tone was teasing, there was still the underlying tone of concern.

"Shut up!" Snarled Delacy with bared teeth.

Spinning on her feet, Delacy stomps up the stairs and to her room, slamming her door, Delacy stayed there for the remainder of the night. She didn't come down for dinner, frustrated and angry as she could feel herself begin to deteriorate. She assumed she wouldn't make it to her thirtieth birthday. And in some way, she knew Howl thought the same, and so with any and every opportunity he was given. Howl would spoil her, with the finest materials he could find.

Every time, Delacy thought she accepted her fate, situations like this would happen. And it never failed to scare her every time. Sitting on her double bed, Delacy places her hands on her lap. She rubbed her knees, bringing warmth to the cold skin.

"I can't even pick up a simple book." She spoke bitterly to herself, clenching her hands into fists. "Oh, how useless I am."

She sat there for a few moments until the feeling of tiredness began to envelop her. Sighing, Delacy stripped off her dress, before changing into a simple light-blue nightgown. Brushing her hair away from her face, Delacy crawled into bed. Slipping under the many blankets and covers she needed to keep warm, plus with the warmth Calcifer provided, Delacy quickly fell asleep to the soft purring and groaning to the moving castle.

*****

Unknown to the inhabitants of the Castle, a guess was going to enter the quiet home with a very powerful curse of her own. Sophie Hatter, an eighteen-year-old woman had just been cursed by the Witch of the West. Even though she was eighteen years old mentally, she now had the body of a ninety-year-old, thanks to the witch. It was beginning to get colder than it was before, the winds were picking up as night began to fall over her. Sophie had managed to make friends with a scarecrow that she had name Turnip-Head. Turnip-Head had been a great deal of help for the now old Sophie, finding her a cane for her to use. And now he had found her a place where she could stay to get out of the wind and rain.

Looking up at the tall and off-balance, black brick castle that was being supported by four legs. The front of the castle looked to be a face, with teeth and smoke being puffed out of it. Sophie looking at the castle in disappointed. She had heard many stories and rumours about 'how amazingly beautiful' Howl's castle was, but it wasn't. In her opinion, it was a heaped of junk!

"You call this a castle!" She yelled over the loud grunting noise the castle was creating.

It seemed that the castle heard her comment, lifting from its resting position over her, the castle began to walk away. Away from the rude woman. Walking over her head, Sophie stood watching it do so. But when Turnip-Head began to hop away, he stopped next to a door, bouncing beside it. Sophie looked at the door in wonder, taking in the wooden door and the porch light that glowed on top of it.

"Is that the way in?" Sophie questioned, rushing towards the door. Running as fast as her elderly legs would allow her to, Sophie grabbed onto the railing. But she couldn't seem to be able to jump. Hanging onto the railing she continues to hang on as she ran. "Hey there! Are you going to let me, or not!" And the castle seemed to respond to her by scooping her up.

When Sophie entered the home of Howl, it was dark but it was warm. Sophie could only see the light from a fire.

"It's warm in there," Sophie smiled towards Turnip-Head. "Even Howl wouldn't want an ancient heart like mine! Goodbye Turnip-Head and thank you!"

Waving goodbye, Sophie finally fully entered the castle, closing the door behind her. She crawled up the stairs, carefully she peered over them to see if she could see the owner of the castle. But all she found was a mess of a room and a quiet burning fire. Sitting down on a wooden chair that was placed in front of the fire, Sophie made herself comfortable, nuzzling her aching back into the wood of the chair. Sophie gripped her cane as she closed her eyes, embracing the warmth that the fire was offering.

But soon Sophie opened her eyes, looking around the room. She saw the pile of dishes in the small kitchen section. Looking to the corners of the room, cobwebs hanged and liquids dripped from the ceilings. On what was supposed to be a dining table was a mountain of books in all different sizes. There was dust and dirt everywhere, that it made Sophie's skin crawl at how filthy the castle was.

"This is more of a dump than a castle." She sighed. "Well, one good thing about getting old is that nothing surprises you anymore."

"That's some spell you're under. It won't be easy to break." Spoke Calcifer as he emerged from behind a log that he had been hiding behind. Opening her eyes from trying to fall asleep, Sophie looked around the room for the owner of the voice, but her eyes soon landed on Calcifer who was staring at her with wide eyes.

"The fire talked!" Sophie gasped, leaning forward. "You're Howl?"

"Wrong! I'm the powerful Fire-demon, Calcifer!" Spoke Calcifer, making himself larger as his flames flicked and licked the chimney.

"Well, then you should be able to break my curse!" Grinned Sophie as she leaned in more.

"Maybe, maybe not." Grinned Calcifer with a coy smile. And with small gestures, he continued. "If you can break the spellas on me, I can break the spellas on you!"

"If you're a demon, how can I be sure to trust you?" Sophie responded with her own coy smile. "Do you promise to help me if I help you?"

"I don't know, lady." Shrugged Calcifer carelessly. "Demon's don't make promises."

"Then, go find someone else." Responded Sophie, as she shrunk back into the chair with a careless shrug and turned-up nose.

"Hey, come on! You should feel sorry for me! This spell keeps me stuck in this castle and Howl treats me like his slave!" Roared Calcifer growing bigger with desperation. "And it burns me up! You got to keep the water hot! Got to keep moving the castle!"

"My, you got it rough..." Spoke Sophie as her tired eyes closed.

"If you figure out how to break this spell on me, I can easily break the spell that is on you." Bargained Calcifer.

"Okay!" Sophie spoke with a louder tone. "You got a deal."

"Hey, Lady? Lady! Lady! Oi, Lady." Calcifer called after Sophie fell asleep. Flattering himself, Calcifer tried to look up at Sophie's sleeping face. Bringing himself back to his normal self, Calcifer began to pout as he crossed his arms. "I have just gain doubts about you, lady..."

                                                                                         *****

It was the next morning and Delacy was awoken by the loud knocks of a customer. Raising out of bed she walked to Markl's room, carefully she opened the boy's room. Seeing the boy asleep on his stomach with his limbs spread out like a starfish. Smiling softly, Delacy bent down on the side of the bed. Rubbing his back gently, Delacy began to wake the boy.

"Markl. Markl?" She hummed still rubbing his back. "We have a customer."

"Hm?" Markl moaned when sleep left him.

"There's a customer waiting," Delacy spoke again.

Snapping his body back, Markl jumped out of bed as he ran downstairs to greet the customer. With a gentle shake of her head, Delacy left Markl's room but not before closing the door. She knew how much Markl hated it when people walked into his room or saw what was in it. Walking into the bathroom of the castle Delacy went to the toilet to do her business, after washing her hands she turned to the bath. Turning on the hot water she let it run as she crept back to her room. Rummaging through her closet that was full to the brim of clothes and accessories thanks to Howl spoiling her.

Delacy pulled out a simple pastel-green dress and her undergarments and a towel before she returned to the bathroom. Locking the door, she placed her clothes and towel onto the now closed toilet lid. Stripping herself of her nightgown, Delacy threw it carelessly behind her into the hamper. Rummaging through Howl's collection of bath oils and scents, she picked the rosemary oils and rose scents. Dropping them in she stirred the bathwater until the strong scent filled her nose. But she stepped away from the water, dragging her nails through her thick white hair, Delacy stared at her body in the bathroom mirror.

She was too skinny now, she knew that. She missed the shape of her old body. She used to look like a woman five years ago, and now she looked like a pubescent teenage girl. She had somehow reversed puberty for herself. Running her hands from the top of her small breasts and around them, she cupped them, they used to be bigger. Now, having shrunk from the loss of fat. Moving her hands, she pressed her ribcage feeling and seeing the outline of each of her ribs. Finally, she rested her hands on her stomach, feeling the taut muscles and lack of fat. She wanted more fat on her body. Turning on her side she stared at herself with disappointment. Her old self would have snapped her present self in half. She chuckled darkly and mockingly at that thought, dropping her hands she crept back to the bath.

Leaning on the wall for support, Delacy tested the water with a toe. She hissed at the temperature, but she put her foot in it, followed by the other. Slowly, she lowered herself into the hot water, the water crept from her ankles then to her shins, her thighs. But when the hot water began to touch her groin, she slowed herself to allow the sensitive part of her body to get used to the temperature. Until finally she was sitting and the water was resting gracefully on the middle of her stomach. Lowering herself more, the water submerges Delacy, welcoming her into its warm hug.

A happy and relaxed sigh left her, as she inhaled the mix of oils she had stolen from Howl and poured into the bath. She could hear Markl downstairs running around, perhaps still busy with their first customer of the morning. She knew more were to come and so she would have to leave her little place of heaven. It wasn't until she began to hear the shouts of Calcifer refusing to do something did she finally opened her eyes and listen.

'What on earth?' She thought. But she didn't leave the bath, this was a regular situation for this household. Calcifer being difficult, which always resulted in him shouting. The same could be applied for Howl, whenever he didn't get his way, the child he is. The only one who never acted this way was Markl, the actual child.

"May your bacon burn!" She heard Calcifer scream from downstairs.

Snorting in amusement at the fire-demon, it was at that moment she knew Howl had returned. Calcifer wouldn't allow anyone but Howl to cook on him. Rolling her head around, Delacy listened to the satisfying cracking noises her neck made when she cracked it. Looking at the walls of the bathroom, there wasn't one clean wall. Potions and bottles lined the walls and floors. Some that Howl had purchased and some that he had made. There were many splatters on the walls of many colourful liquids and dyes, that Delacy knew wouldn't come out. Curious still, dipping a finger into the bathwater she places the web-pad of her fingertip on a random dot of blue. She rubbed at the dot, transferring the water onto it and hoping it soaked the dot. She then began to pick at it with her fingernail. But the blue dot wouldn't budge. She hissed at it while cursing Howl's name.

It was when Delacy began to smell the aroma of bacon and eggs, did she finally leave the warm bath. With her stomach grumbling, Delacy wrapped the towel tightly around her body. Ringing the water out of her hair, she ran her fingers through the knots, scrunching her face now and then when she would pull too harshly on a knot. Ripping the towel off, Delacy began to dry her hair first, before she began to dab her body dry.

"Eh," Delacy groaned as she slipped her head through the dress, hissing when the material stuck to her wet skin. Tugging the bottom of it down, Delacy looked in the mirror, humming and nodding in approval she left the bathroom.

Entering back into her bedroom, she picked the simple black leather flats that she left at the foot of her bed. Slipping them on, she moved to her vanity next. Picking the golden brush, she brushed it through her long hair. The next thing she did was apply her makeup, dabbing the concealer under her eyes to hide the dark and red circles that were under her eyes. She then tapped and rubbed the rouge into her cheeks to bring a natural and healthy flush. Whatever product she had left, she tapped it onto her lips, then nose. Picking the lipstick pain-pot, she used her finger to apple it on, she didn't want too much pigment, only enough to give her lips a natural flush. Looking at herself in the mirror, Delacy finished by applying some brown eyeliner around her eyes and then mascara.

Standing away from the mirror, Delacy began to make her way downstairs she could hear Markl cheer about having 'a real breakfast' for the first time in a long time. And it made her happy, knowing Howl had been considerate of the young boy.

                                                                                                    *****

"Come eat, Sophie!" Called Markl at the head of the table.

Sophie looked to where Markl was cleaning away books and other objects away from the table. Using the sleeve of his shirt, he wiped away the dust and grime that was on the plates. Sitting on the other side of the table, Sophie watched as Markl passed four plates to Howl, who filled them with two pieces of bacon and two fried eggs. But Sophie couldn't understand, there was only the three of them, why would they need a fourth? Pouring the tea into a small soup bowl, Markl passed it over to her waiting hands. Picking up four utensils, Markl held them in front of her. Two forks and two spoons.

"You can only have one because the rest are dirty!" Markl exclaimed with a smile.

Once Sophie took a spoon from the boy's hand, immediately Markl began to eat viciously, obviously enjoying his breakfast. Slowly, Sophie began to eat her meal, but with a curious eye. She watched as Howl prepared the fourth meal, placing a fork on the side of the plate, he reached forward to place the plate beside her and in front of an empty chair.

"Bread, Markl." Spoke Howl as he held a freshly cut piece towards the boy.

"Thanks!" Replied Markl, taking the bread from his hand.

"Sophie?" Asked Howl, holding a piece towards her.

"Thank you," Answered Sophie, as she took the piece with two hands.

"So, friends, bon appetit," Said Howl as he lifted his own soup bow as he took a sip of tea.

"I can't remember the last time we had a real breakfast!" Exclaimed Markl happily eating away.

It was then when the soft creaking of the stairs made Howl look away from his tea and towards the stairs. Following his gaze, Sophie saw the delicate shape of pale ankles and polish black shoes. Opening her mouth, Sophie was in shocked when a beautiful woman walked down the stairs. The woman was strikingly beautiful in Sophie's opinion, much more beautiful than her when she was young. With her waist-long white hair, Sophie admired it at how it shined like the evening stars. Her pale blue eyes reminded her of the blue beryl stone, she looked like the perfect porcelain doll.

Sophie began to pull her eyes to the woman's body, small and thin, she only stood at a small 5'2. Even the dress she wore was beautiful and it helped enhance her figure. The pale green dress was oversized but it was pulled back in the right places. The sleeves were flowy and oversized but pulled around her wrists. The bosom part was pleasantly oversized and gave her the appearance of larger breasts, the waist was pulled in giving her the appearance of a smaller and more desirable waist. The small waist allowed her hips to look fuller and large as the skirt of the dress flowed beautifully down her legs.

In her time of admiring the woman, Sophie didn't see Howl stand from his place at the table. Watching as the man met the woman halfway, she watched as Howl leaned down with a smile as he wrapped an arm around her gently as he directed her to her seat. They were murmuring to each other and because of Sophie's old age, she couldn't hear what they were saying.

                                                                                              *****

Chucking at the greeting Howl had whispered in her ear, Delacy covered her mouth with her hands, muffling the giggles that left her. Turning from Howl, she looked down at Markl who was too busy scoffing the food down his mouth. But it was when, Delacy turned to look where Sophie was sitting with wide eyes, did she stepped back as she looked at the older woman.

"Oh!" She gasped, with wide eyes, as she turned to Howl. "Who is this?"

"I'm Sophie, your new cleaning lady!" Sophie greeted, as she watched Howl pull Delacy's chair back and guide her to sit in it before pushing her towards the table.

"Is that so?" Delacy smiled, as she cut her eggs. Turning to Sophie, she smiled in greeting as she held her hand out. "I'm Delacy, it's a pleasure to meet you, Sophie. Who hired you, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Calcifer did! He said he was sick and couldn't stand the mess!" Sophie explained while shaking her hand.

Laughing loudly, Delacy turned towards Calcider who was peeking out from behind a log of wood. Delacy knew this was a lie, and it amused her that Calcifer would go along with it. It was obvious that Sophie had been cursed by a witch or wizard. And somehow she and Calcifer had struck a deal, probably so Calcifer can become free of Howl and fix whatever curse Sophie was under. But it was in that moment, Howl saw some life and brightness enter into Delacy's eyes for the first time in a long time. He listened to the loud rumble of a laugh leave Delacy, loving the sound.

"Oh, I'm sorry for laughing." Delacy apologized as she took a sip from her tea.

But her attention was caught by the vicious manner of how Markl was eating, taking the spoon from the boy and picking up her own fork, Delacy began to cut his food into smaller bite-sized pieces with the side of the spoon. Looking from the beautiful woman who now sat beside her to the child in the middle and then towards Howl. Sophie looked between the three, she didn't know Howl had a wife, no less a child!

She looked at Markl and then towards the two adults who surrounded him. Markl had medium brown hair and brown eyes, his face was soft and round. Markl also had a small buttoned shape nose. Howl, on the other hand, had platinum blond hair and ocean blue eyes, his face was angular and long with a soft-pointed chin, his jaw lined was chiselled and Sophie could see why women were constantly wooed by his charming good looks. His nose wasn't large but it wasn't small either, it didn't turn into button-like Markl's. However there was a small bump in the middle of the bridge, but that was something you had to stare at to see. Delacy who had the bright white hair and pale blue eyes. She had a very angular and heart-shaped face, there wasn't any soft features on Delacy. Even her name was sharp in Sophie's opinion. With defined cheekbones and a sharp jawline. Her pouty lips even had a sharp cupid's bow. Sophie watched as Delacy's straight and slightly upturned nose crinkled as she smiled down at Markl, brushing away the fringe that had fallen on his eyes away. But even though Sophie thought Delacy was beautiful, she could see weakness and an almost ill expression on Delacy. Even with the makeup, Sophie could still see the dark circles and the ashy-pale colour of her skin.

Sophie couldn't see any resemblance of Howl or Delacy in Markl, but genetics could be a funny thing. Sophie didn't look like her mother, but her sister, Lettie, was a carbon copy of their mother. Sophie inherited her plain and bland looks from their father, but it was always said that Sophie looked like her father's parents. And so, Sophie thought that maybe Markl had inherited his grandparent's features.

But another thought entered Sophie at that moment, she looked at Howl and almost glared at him in ill dislike. Howl had a wife and child, yet he still flirted with any woman he determined pretty or beautiful. Now, Sophie wasn't a woman who would listen to rumours and gossip and believe it fully. No, but remembering how Howl had flirted with her sister that morning and how the Witch of the Waste had mistaken her for Letti and cursed her, brought a wave of hot-red anger in Sophie.

Plopping some eggs in her mouth angrily, while taking an aggressive bite of bread she was offered by Howl. A random thought entered into Sophie's mind, dropping the bred onto her plate. Sophie whips herself around to stare at Delacy's who was glaring playfully at Howl who was wiggling his eyebrows at her.

'Howl, you fool!' Delacy thought with a giggle. Her eyes were bright and shining, as emotions bubbled in her chest, it almost felt as if she was going to burst. And so, she looked away from the man as a deep blush covered her cheeks and neck. Seeing this, pride filled Howl as he puffed his chest out.

"You did say your name is Delacy, didn't you?" Sophie asked in a rushed tone, gripping the table as she did so. The household seemed to have stopped at that moment as all eyes turned to the older woman.

"Yes, I did." Replied Delacy as she looked at Sophie with confusion.

"I heard about you!" Sophie yelped, stretching back into her chair. "You're Delacy! The king's beast! You're a great sorceress!"

"Yes, and now I'm nothing." Replied Delacy with a smile, a flat and a broken smile. "I lost my powers in battle."

Sophie stared at the young woman in front of her with shock, the meek and frail woman that was described to her as a great sorceress. This woman wasn't powerful, she was broken and weak, Sophie thought. And in some way, it saddens Sophie to see such a beautiful woman so broken. Not liking the comment Delacy made about herself and also not liking the awkward air that swallowed the room, Howl began to cough to gain everyone's attention. Wiping his mouth with a napkin, he stared at Sophie with a small smile.

"So, what do you have hidden in your pocket, Sophie?" He asked, changing the subject.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.6K 2.1K 16
Y/N grew up with her family in the country, living the life of a simple farm girl. But one day, her feet start to carry her away from her home and ar...
103 5 7
Basically a Howl's Moving Castle adaption :P Meliodas is a man infamous for stealing young girl's hearts, hiding away in a moving castle that remains...
322K 12.8K 27
What if before Sophie there was another? A girl cursed to become a doll within 4 months if her curse was not broken. In order to break it she seeks o...
113K 4.3K 20
Reader is a witch/wizard who just wants to make as big as an impact on the world as their best friend, Howl, is. Highest rankings: #1 Studio Ghibli...