Better Than I Know Myself

By sleepwalker

Jesse Logan's life was turned upside down when his younger sister Holly was kidnapped and presumed dead. Sinc... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Author Note

Chapter Eleven

28.3K 1.1K 325
By sleepwalker

(Jesse POV)

I am waiting for Jane and Adrian to show up at my aunt's house to pick me up. Ever since Monday, Adrian has been avoiding me. I guess me standing up for him had weirded him out. I had actually believed that I was finally gaining some trust, but the next day, he stayed away from me. I asked Jane what was up with him and she said it had to do something with Hector; she wasn't sure what it was. I couldn't help, but feel like it was because of Monday. Maybe I freaked him out by standing up for him, but I just couldn't stand there and not do anything. A car honked and I look up to see Adrian pulling up in the driveway.

I get in the front seat and greet everyone. "Hey guys," I fasten my seatbelt.

"Morning Jesse," Jane says as she pops her head between the front seats.

Adrian just nods his head and places the car in gear. We ride in silence; even Jane is quiet for once. Adrian parks the car and we all get out, we walk towards the building until Jane pulls me back.

"Hey I need to talk to you alone." She says.

I look back at Adrian; he had stopped just ahead of us. "Hey Adrian I'll see you in class."

He nods his head and continues to walk to the building.

I turn back to Jane, "so what's up?"

"We got a problem." I look at her with confusion. "Ugh, I found out why Adrian has been kind of distant. Hector told him at the end of the month he is coming out to his family and everyone at school." I stand there as I let Jane's words sink in, what the hell? That is all I could think of. He is going to make it harder for me.

"Do you think he will really come out?" I ask Jane, I hope not. That is the only thing I had going for me, but the look on her face says it all. He is going to come out for Adrian and any chance if any is going to go out the window. "When," is all I can say.

"At the end of the month, we have less than three weeks to get Adrian to fall for you." Jane says.

I don't feel like playing this game anymore.

"Screw it Jane, I'm just going to tell him I like him." I start walking off to catch up to Adrian before the bell rings.

"You can't tell him." Jane shouts at me.

I turn back to face her. "Why not?" I demand to know.

"If you tell him, he won't believe you."

"What do you mean he won't believe me?"

Jane sighs as she rubs her temple. "He will think I put you up to it, like I told you he doesn't trust easily."

"Okay, then what do we do?" I stand there as I listen to Jane's plan, I don't agree with it, but what other choice do I have. If I want Adrian, I am going to have to go through with Jane's plan. I only have less than three weeks to get Adrian to fall in love with me.

I have no luck in getting Adrian to talk to me as we walk to our last class. I can see his mind is elsewhere as we head to the gym. As we round the corner, someone pushes me against the wall.

"Watch where you're going!" Carter yells at me.

I am not in the mood for his bullshit today. I push off the wall and push him back. He slams me into the lockers.

"Oh you little piece of shit!" Carter shouts as he reaches out for me and slams me against the lockers.

"What the hell is your problem?" I shout back.

"You're my problem. I don't like faggots." He snarls as I see him raise his fist.

He is going to hit me and there is no avoiding it. I close my eyes and brace myself for the blow, but it never comes. I open my eyes and see Hector holding Carter's arm back.

"That's enough Carter, you know what will happen if a teacher sees you." Hector says as Carter glares at me before he pushes me again.

I hit the wall hard and fall to the floor. I grimace with pain as I watch Carter walk off.

"Here let me help you up." Hector says as he sticks out his hand for me to grab.

I grab it and he pulls me up. "Thank you," I say as I brush myself off. Crap, he is a nice guy; I can see why Adrian would like him. Shit, he is making it hard for me to dislike him right now.

"It's the least I could do since you stood up for Adrian when I couldn't." Hector says as he looks at Adrian and smiles.

I turn to look at Adrian and as god as my witness I kid you not, he is smiling. Shit that just proves how hard I'm going to have to work now. He hands me my bag and walks over to Adrian.

"I'll see you later jelly bean." Hector says as he leans in to kiss him. I am shock he does that, but then again there isn't anyone around.

"Bye," Adrian says as he watches him walk off.

Just seeing the look on his face, I know I am going to have a hell of a time getting him to fall in love with me. The sad part, I only have less than three weeks to do that.

Adrian is driving us home, I don't think Jane's plan is going to work. I don't see how finding someone else to pose as my boyfriend will get Adrian jealous. At most, it is kind of a childish plan, so I am not going to go through with it instead I am going to take matters into my own hands. Adrian pulls up to my aunt's house, it is now or never.

"Would you two like to hang out and stay for dinner?" I ask, I am hoping with Jane here, Adrian will say yes this time.

"Of course we want to hang out and stay for dinner, don't we Adrian?" Jane says as I look at Adrian.

You can see he doesn't want to, but Jane is putting him on the spot.

"Yeah sure we can stay, but I have to leave before nine." He replies.

"Why do you need to leave before nine, I thought you only met up with Hector on Saturdays?" Jane questions him.

Adrian sighs as he pinches the bridge of his nose. "No, I am not meeting up with Hector, have you forgotten what tonight is?" He asks.

"Supernatural premieres tonight." I say.

Adrian looks at me.

"What? I love that show, so if you guys want to you can just stay and watch it here." I add.

"Well then, it's all settled we are staying for dinner and Supernatural." Jane says as she jumps out of the car.

I get out the car and stand with Jane as we wait for Adrian to get out. When he joins us Jane hooks her arm around mine and Adrian's as we head inside.

"So what is for dinner?" Jane asks as we walk into the kitchen.

They sit on the stools at the counter as I stand in front of them.

"Well, what would you guys like for dinner?"

"I doesn't matter whatever your aunt wants to cook." Jane says.

"Um, my aunt isn't the one that is going to cook, so tell me what you guys want."

They both look at me as if I have grown a second head.

"What? I like to cook and my aunt doesn't really know how to cook."

They both stare at me again.

"How about I make chicken carbonara?"

They nod their heads as Jane's phone goes off, "sorry let me answer this and it's my mom." Jane answers as she walks out of the room.

"You know how to cook?" Adrian asks.

I nod my head as I go to the fridge for everything I need.

"Ugh, I have to head home; my parents need me to watch Amanda tonight." Jane says as she walks back into the room and picks up her bag. "Sorry Jesse," she says as she hugs me, "maybe next time."

Adrian gets off the stool.

"Where are you going?" Jane asks.

"Well to take you home and then go home." Adrian says.

"Why? My parents are coming for me, you should stay here, keep Jesse company." Jane looks at me.

"Yeah, my aunt has to work late tonight. I could use the company." Please say yes, begging inside my head.

"Okay, I can stay. I'm curious to how good of a cook you are." He replies.

Thank you sweet Jesus I say in my head. Jane says bye to us and I go back to cooking.

"So who taught you?"

I place everything on the counter. I watch as Adrian looks at everything I am doing.

"Um, my mom did," I say dryly as I watch Adrian sit there watching everything I do; by the looks of it I don't think he has ever cooked a day in his life. "So do you know how to cook?"

"No, in my house we have a cook, but I hardly eat there or stay there. I mostly stay at Jane's unless I'm at Hector, but even that is rare."

I stop what I am doing and look up at him; I had been expecting a simple yes or no from him. Instead, he is actually talking to me. I smile at him.

"Would you like to learn how to cook?" I ask him, he looks at me. God I am hoping he will say yes, it will give me the perfect chance to be near him.

"Um, okay sure," he says as he gets off the stool and walks over to the other side of the counter next to me.

"Are your hands clean before we start?"

He rolls his eyes and walks over to the sink and washes his hands. I push the cutting board with the chicken in front of him and hand him the knife. He takes the knife from me and looks down at the cutting board.

"So what am I supposed to do?" He asks as he pokes the chicken.

I chuckle at the way he stares at the chicken>

He frowns at me. "What's so funny?"

"You. Has anyone ever told you how adorable you look when you frown?" I wink at him.

He huffs and points the knife at me. "Do you really want to be saying things like that to me while I'm holding a knife." He says as he cocks his brow.

"Okay, sorry my mistake," I say as I put my hands up and smile back at him.

He smirks at me and rolls his eyes again.

"You're going to cut the chicken up into cubes."

Adrian still stares at the chicken.

"Have you ever used a knife before?"

He frowns again. "Yes, I'm not a complete idiot!" He snaps back at me.

I watch as he holds the chicken in one hand and the knife in the other. He brings the knife down on the chicken, his hands are shaking.

"Stop Adrian."

He drops the knife and looks at me. "What? Am I doing it wrong or something?" He says irritated.

"No, but I saw you were shaking. I just want to know why?"

"I don't like seeing blood and when it comes to sharp objects I don't have the best luck with them." He says as he looks down at the floor.

"Oh, okay. I'll just cut the chicken then," I reach for the knife, but Adrian grabs it before I can.

"No, I want to do it," he says as he goes back to trying to cut the chicken.

I stand behind him and place my hands on his as I look over his shoulder. God, he smells good, a mixture of apples and citrus with a hint of something woodsy.

"W-w-what are you doing?" He stutters as he turn his face.

His face just inches from mine, I am so tempted to just lean in and kiss those light pink soft lips, but I am not going to because I would ruin any chance I have with him.

"I'm going to show you how to handle a knife, so you don't cut yourself." I lay my hands over his and guide him on how to cut the chicken. After a while I feel him relax and get comfortable with me. I let go of him and walk over to the stove and turn on the burner and place a pan over the flame. I add some oil to the pan, "Okay, bring the chicken over here so I can put it in the pan."

Adrian grabs the cutting board and walk over to me. He dumps the chicken into the hot pan; it sizzles as I grab a spoon to stir.

"Here just stir this for me," I hand him the spoon. I grab the seasoning for the chicken and sprinkled it in the pan while Adrian stirs.

Adrian continues to stir as I go fill a pot with water. "So the chicken looks done, what now?" Adrian asks as he turns off the stove.

"Okay, remove the chicken from the pan and you can dice up the bacon and throw it in the same pan with some minced garlic."

Adrian does as he was told; he looks like he is enjoying himself. When he finishes with the bacon I take over to finish the sauce.

"So what do you want me to do now?" Adrian asks.

"Well, you can put the garlic toast in the oven and put the pasta in the pot of boiling water. But before you do that come here and try out the sauce."

Adrian nods his head and walks closer to me. I grab another spoon and dip it in the sauce; I blow on it to cool it off before I let him taste it. He opens his mouth and I place the spoon in his mouth. He closes his mouth and I pull out the spoon. He lets out a small moan as he licks his lips; I bit down on my bottom lip as he does that. This boy doesn't even realize what he is doing to me.

"You're pretty good at cooking."

He dips his finger into the sauce and sticks his finger in his mouth. I watch as he slowly sucks on his finger as he moans again. Shit, if he keeps that up I am going to have a big problem downstairs.

"Hey are you okay?" He asks as he snaps his fingers in front of my face.

Oh shit, I was staring at him. I blush hard as I answer him. "Yeah, sorry spaced out. You should get the noodles in the water." I mumble.

He nods his head and does what I told him to do. God, this boy doesn't even have to touch me for me to come undone, he is slowly torturing me, and he doesn't even realize it.

Once I finish and Adrian takes the toast out from the oven, we wait on the pasta to finish cooking.

"So how do you tell if the pasta is done?"

"Well the way I do it is to take one of the noodles and fling it up to the ceiling, if it sticks its done." I grab a noodle and throw it, we watch as it sticks to the ceiling.

"Well it looks like it is done." Adrian says just as the noodle falls back down on top of his head. "Ew, it's in my hair," he says as he takes it out.

I laugh at his facial expression; he looks at me and flings the noodle at my face. He smiles and busts out laughing. God, he has the most beautiful laugh and smile, it makes him look even more adorable.

I take the noodle off my face, "oh, so you think that is funny huh? Well, I guess there is one way to get you back." I throw the noodle back at him, but he ducks and it sticks to the fridge behind him.

I pick up the sack of flour and am about to dump it on him when he throws his hands up in the air.

"Okay, I'm sorry Jesse. I didn't mean to throw it at you, but it was only fair since you threw it first. Besides I don't think your aunt would appreciate the mess you would make by throwing that on me."

He is right, "okay, we are even, so how about we finish making dinner, so we can eat. Then, we can start to watch reruns of Supernatural until the new season."

"Sounds like a plan to me." He says as he smiles, god his smile is contagious.

He really shouldn't sulk so much; it is so unsexy, especially for someone as attractive as him.

"Are you sure your aunt won't mind us eating in here?" Adrian asks as we sit down on the couch with our bowls of pasta and drinks.

"No, she won't mind. It's not like we are going to make a mess in here." I say as I grab the remote. I turn on the TV and go to Netflix, "so what season do you want to see while we wait for the new season?" I skip through the list until I find Supernatural.

"Oh let's watch season five and go to the episode where Dean plays poker with that witch. I just love that one," he says as he giggles.

I found the episode and press play. We sit there watching Supernatural and eating pasta. I am finding it hard to concentrate on the TV with Adrian making moaning sounds and licking his lips. He is really making things uncomfortable for me.

"You know I think they should just get Dean and Cass together, I mean you can just see the sexual tension between them." Adrian says as I choke on some noodles. "You okay?" He asks as he rubs my back.

I clear my throat and nod my head, he stops rubbing my back.

"I bet Dean could really rock Cass's world." He looks at me, most likely to see what my reaction is.

I smile at him, "well in my opinion I think Dean would be the submissive one."

He cocks his brow and stars at me.

"I mean sure Dean is a badass, but you have to remember that Cass is an angel. So he is just oozing with power and authority. Frankly, I don't think Cass would take it lying down anyway. With that I think he would rock Dean's world."

Adrian stares at me, I am pretty sure he thought he could make me uncomfortable, but of course he doesn't know we bat for the same team.

"Really that's what you think, but what about Cass being naïve about things? Don't you think Dean would be better at getting Cass to submit to him?"

I chuckle, he has no idea how this doesn't make me uncomfortable at all.

"True, but sometimes virgins can surprise you. They are the ones you really have to watch out for, most of the time they are more experienced." I wink at him as his face grows bright red. I have to say him blushing is a bit of a turn on for me.

He clears his throat, "so is that your subtle way of saying you're a virgin?" He smirks back at me with his cheeks still flushed.

I lean closer to him, "I'm far from being a virgin."

His cheeks grow a darker red and I smile as I sit back to watch the TV. I turn to look at him again and he is looking at the TV, but I can see he isn't really paying attention.

"So Adrian how long have you and Hector been secretly going out?" I ask as I place my empty bowl on the coffee table.

He looks at me as he places his bowl next to mine.

"Three years last month."

"Do you love him?"

He sighs as he looks back at the TV. He draws his knees up to his chest as he wraps his arms around them.

"I would like to think so, I mean you don't waste three years of your life with someone if you don't love them."

It almost sounds like he is trying to convince himself that he stills loves Hector.

"True well I can see why you would like him. As much as I hate to admit it and thank god Jane isn't her or she would probably kick my ass for saying this, he is a nice guy. Shoot, he saved me from a beating, so I can't really hate on him."

Adrian chuckles.

"Yeah, he is and you're lucky he showed up when he did. Carter's a real dick and I just don't know how Hector can stand being around him so much." Adrian says as he shivers.

"Are you cold?" I ask as I move closer to him.

"Yeah just a little. I guess I should be like you and wear long sleeve shirts. By the way, don't you ever get hot wearing those all the time, jeez you even wear them during gym and you never once roll up the sleeves?" He asks as I get up and grab the blanket off the other couch.

If only he knew just how uncomfortable it is to wear them, but I have no choice but to wear them. Unless, I want to explain all the scars on my arms, I want to tell Adrian, but I don't want to scare him away either.

"Yeah, but I just deal with it." I say as I sit down next to him and place the blanket over both of us.

I am waiting for him to move away but he doesn't, instead he leans in closer to me and rests his head on my shoulder. We stay like this until the new episode of Supernatural finishes. I turn off the TV and look at Adrian. He has fallen asleep, I push back his hair. He looks so peaceful. I don't have the heart to wake him and then just have him drive all the way home. Instead, I lay back on to the couch and pull him into my arms. He doesn't wake as I move him; he just snuggles closer to my chest as I throw the blanket back over us. I take out my phone and set the alarm, I look at Adrian again. He really does look adorable and the more I look at him I realize I am falling deeper in love with him. Now if only I could get the courage to tell him how I feel.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 41.1K 75
Jesse's life turns upside down once the football player from his school finds out he's gay. Because of that he has to obey to jock's every command or...
4M 196K 38
***EDITED AND REVISED VERSION IS AVAILABLE ON AMAZON IN PAPERBACK AND KINDLE*** "You wrote my name wrong" "You said it's Rider" "It's Ryder with a Y"...
615K 24.2K 35
Adam Jones has grown up in a world that seems to be against him in every turn. He has no family to speak to. He can't hold a job. He doesn't seem...
5.6K 346 12
[COMPLETED] When Eli found his boyfriend having sex with his best friend, he was shattered. Tyler and Tony were the only people other than his family...