Girl Next Door (GIRLXGIRL)

By GrayWrites11

girlxgirl HIGHEST RANKING(S): #1 IN GIRLONGIRL #1 IN GIRLS #1 IN TEACHER #5 IN GXG An emotionally battered wo... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
SEQUEL IS COMING!
SEQUEL IS UP!

29

88.4K 2.7K 3.3K
By GrayWrites11

Evan's POV:

Lexi walked out on me after dropping quite the bombshell, and it only left me more broken and confused than before.

Unfortunately for me, spending hours sobbing and trying figure out how I am going to piece my life back together isn't an option.

Scott is on his way here with the kids, and we all have to get dressed and go, as a family, to the graduation ceremony this evening.

Unless Lexi's mom decides to run to the principal between now and six o'clock, I'm still on for reading the list of names for all of the seniors who are walking across that stage.

I straighten up the house for when the kids come home, stripping the sheets off of my bed and washing a few loads of clothes. I wander outside to check the mail, not wanting to think about the unholy shit-storm that I know is unfolding next door.

I quickly realize how huge of a mistake it was to leave the safety of my house.

"Evan, a word?" A stern voice grabs me and I freeze.

I flip my hair over my shoulder and raise my brows at Amy, who is eyeing me from her front steps.

"Yes?" I ask her, not sure if she is aware that I know.

She shakes her head, "it's sickening, you know? The fact that you can allow yourself to cross that line and have that sort of disgusting relationship with my daughter. I thought we were friends, Evan? I trusted you. She watches your children for God's sake! And you-"

"I told you to leave her out of it! It's on me!" Lexi's frail voice yells from the sidewalk up to the steps. Her eyes are red and swollen from crying.

"Lex..." I mutter, my arms folding over my chest.

Amy's eyes roll and I bite my lip, "Amy, I understand how you feel about... all of this. And I do apologize that things happened the way they did. I made my share of mistakes partaking in this relationship with Lexi, but I do not wish I could take back even a second of it."

"How'd Scott feel about that?" Amy smarts.

I cut my eyes at her, "I am going to kindly suggest that you stay out of my marriage."

"He has a right to know, you know. And I will be informing him. As well as the principal. Your career as a teacher is over, you may as well go ahead and get yourself on the registered sex-offender list!" Amy gripes, clearly even more pissed off and bitter about this than I thought.

I glance at Lexi and she shakes her head subtly. "That's not necessary. I'll be resigning." I think quick and Amy's eyes grow larger. Well, I guess I made that decision.

"Well, well-"

"Stay out of it, Amy. It's handled. Worry about your own kid, not me." I sigh and walk away, knowing there is nothing more I can do.

I hate to leave Lexi the way I am. I hate to leave our relationship on the edge of a cliff, but in all seriousness... where could it go?

I'm grown. I have three kids who need support, I have a career. Lexi is barely a legal adult, makes nine bucks an hour, and has no experience with being a parent.

After my encounter with Amy outside, I came in and tried to collect myself and my thoughts as best and as quickly as I could. I drafted a resignation letter, and have prepared myself for the worst of it.

The way I look at it, Lexi is eighteen. She was already eighteen when our relationship became sexual. I was never that stupid.

My phone rings and I see the principal of the school's name pop up. My heart throbs in my chest, and I proceed with caution.

"He-hello?" My voice is soft and shaky at first, but I quickly correct it.

"Evan, I need to speak with you. It is urgent." His voice is deep and cleary frustrated.

I swallow and tap my nail on the counter nervously, "of course, sir."

"I take it you already know what this call is concerning?" He questions.

I swallow my pride and nod as I speak, "yes, I do. And I accept full responsibility for my actions, sir. I have my resignation letter in hand and-"

"What were you thinking, Mrs. Copeland?"

I bite my cheek and close my eyes. What was I thinking? I was thinking about how my husband was a piece of shit, and along came Lexi. She made me feel so important, so desired. That's all I wanted in that moment. I was thinking about how good it felt to be touched, to be seen, to be heard. That is what I was thinking.

"I wish I had an answer for you, sir. It was a mistake on my part and I deeply..." my voice trails off, "regret my actions and their timing." I lie. Regretful is not at all how I would describe my feelings about the situation.

"Now Evan, I've never had a problem out of you. You've been a phenomenal asset to our school, the students and other staff love you; however, this is a matter that I cannot overlook. Sleeping with a minor is punishable by-"

"Please sir, let me stop you there. I never slept with a minor. Alexis was over the age of eighteen when our physical relationship began, sir. I never would have crossed that line if that was the case. Not that it makes my actions any more acceptable..."

"That softens the blow a bit, but unfortunately there are still severe consequences in this situation." He speaks over me and I bite my cheek. His pause makes me anxious. "Due to the terrible timing and overall obscurity of this situation, I will accept your resignation rather than terminate you for misconduct. Your record will show no reflection of the behavior that has come to light today, but you no longer have a place teaching at my school." He says, making my chest lighten a bit. Out of a job, but clear of prison? I'll gladly take that outcome.

I know I'm still in deep shit, but at least it won't follow me.

"Thank you, sir. I sincerely apologize for all of this." I mutter. I hesitate but take a deep breath and ask my question. "Since graduation is in a few hours and I am responsible for reading the names, will you be able to replace me in the ceremony?"

The line is quiet for several seconds, so I take a chance and speak again.

"Sir, I know this is a big ask of me... given the circumstances. Would you allow me to participate in the ceremony this evening? Reading the names? I'll go on my way immediately following the ceremony." I hold my breath while I wait for his response.

"Well, Mrs. Copeland, I don't have many options here. Knowing that you have an ongoing sexual relationship with a student puts me in a tight spot. I'm certain this is going to cause some issues between the school and the parents of Alexis Brewer, but I will deal with those at another time. For now, we'll see you this evening for your final act with the school. I wouldn't advise advertising the relationship you've developed with Miss Brewer to other staff of parents, Mrs. Copeland." The principal says.

I close my eyes and allow myself to breathe again at his response. "Yes sir." He ends our call and at that moment, all three of my children burst through the door and tackle me with hugs. Talk about timing.

"Oh my..." I giggle, ruffling their hair and smiling. I missed them.

"Mommy!" Mason giggles, clinging to my leg.

The girls smile big and speak simultaneously about the time they've spent with their father, and I listen closely.

"I'm so glad you three have had a good time with your daddy." I smile and hug their small bodies. "We have to get dressed for the graduation ceremony tonight though, so we can finish your stories later. Girls, go shower." I say and point towards the stairs.

"Wait, is Lexi going to be there?!" Grace asks, hopeful.

I bite my cheek and nod slowly, "she will."

Grace, elated at the news, spins and runs upstairs to get showered.

"These clothes are all clean." Scott's voice says from the doorway as he sets down a bag. "Mason ruined his white shirt, but that's no surprise." He informs.

My eyes roll a bit and I nod, "of course. I have a tie that matches Mason's laid out in the bedroom for you." I tell him. Things fall silent and I take a breath, "I'm going to help the girls."

I enter my daughters bathroom, making sure they are doing what they should be. After they've showered, I brush through their hair carefully, not saying much.

"Mommy?" Grace's voice pulls me from my daze.

"Hm?"

"I miss daddy being here all the time. Can he come back for good this time?" She asks.

Her question shatters my heart. Maybe Scott's absence was impacting my kids, I just hadn't noticed. Maybe they were silently hoping.

"Baby..." my voice trails off because I have no answer. What do I say? Papers have been filed. I can't just- undo it. I kneel in front of her and grab her hands, "how about me, you, your sister and brother, and daddy all sit down and have a little talk about this, okay?"

She nods and I pull my thumb over her cheek, "I love you so much." I remind her as I kiss her forehead.

She grins and Scott clears his throat behind me.

"Evan, we need to talk. Now." He demands.

Grace's eyes shift to her father and he looks angry. "Daddy, why are you mad?"

"Grace, stay out of this." He growls.

I scowl at him for taking such a nasty tone with her, but stand and follow him anyway.

He shuts the door to our bedroom and I sit down on the bed, waiting.

"You fucked the girl next door?" He mutters, his back to me.

My eyes widen and my body tenses up. Amy must've just told him.

"Scott, please..."

"Yes or no?" He asks me.

I stand up and walk closer to him, my heart racing and my eyes getting teary. "I- yes."

He faces me and my lip can't help but quiver, "it- Scott we weren't good. You weren't paying attention to me. You made my feel like shit and she made me feel like the exact opposite! Once it started-"

"What is this? Some sort of revenge for my infidelity?! Is this why we are getting divorced, Evan?! You wanna go play house with our eighteen year old neighbor?!" He yells.

I jump a bit with each word he screams and a tear slips out of my eye. "Scott! Stop!"

"What about your job, Evan? The kids? You're- you're crazy. You really fucked up this time. So hypocritical." He growls, pacing now.

I sob silently for several seconds before I am able to form words, "Scott, I know I messed up here. I am sorry for making such a reckless decision, not to you, but to our kids. Lexi is not the reason that I want a divorce. You are the reason I want a divorce. You treated me like dirt. You cheated on me multiple times." My voice trails off and I shake my head at the man in front of me, "funny how the one time I do to you what you spent years doing to me... I'm such a terrible person."

His eyes narrow and he shakes his head at me, looking disappointed. "At least I fucked someone who was my own age, Evan. You-"

I laugh and cut him off, "fuck you, Scott."

"You think this isn't going to change things? Ha, you have no idea what is coming your way, Evan. I am taking the kids... full custody. They do not need to be around a mother who is only focused on screwing the girl next door. You can't support them with no job, either!" He laughs. "You made this situation a whole lot easier on me."

"You aren't taking my kids from me." I hiss, standing up and wiping my face.

"Why do you care so much? You have Lexi to entertain you now, and she may as well still be a kid!" He grins.

He hit a nerve. "Fuck you! Lexi and I are over!" I yell.

Once the words leave my mouth I realize the truth in it. I cannot continue to have the relationship I have with Lexi if I want to keep my kids, get a new job, or do basically anything that would happen in a normal person's life. We have to be over... it is the only viable option I have in this incredibly fucked up situation.

Tears fill my eyes against my will and I sit on the bed slowly. I bring my hand to my mouth as my lip starts to tremble at the realization I have just made.

"Get out of my house, Scott. I do not want to see you at the ceremony." I mutter, not even looking up at him.

"Ha, pathetic. Absolutely pathetic, Evan." He chuckles. He throws the tie at me and storms out of the bedroom without another word.

How is it that my entire world came crashing down within a matter of hours?

* * *

"Hello? Earth to Copeland..." my co-worker's voice pulls my head out of the fog it's been living in all day.

"Sorry." I mutter, trying to pay attention.

"You alright?" She asks me, handing over the list of three hundred something names I am about to read to a stadium full of joyful and proud families.

I shake my head, "long day. I'm getting there." I sigh. If she only knew.

No one has the slightest idea what today has been for me, and no one has any idea that I am no longer officially employed here, either. It's probably in everyone's best interest that it stays that way.

"I'm gonna go read over these again before we start." I say, leaving the field house, which is doubling as graduation ceremony HQ at the moment.

I stand at the back of the building, my head spinning. Scott left, just like I told him too. Only thing is, he took the kids. I called and called, but he won't pick up. So here I am... alone at graduation.

"Ev?" The nickname and the broken voice help me identify the speaker before I even look.

"Hey, Lex."' I sigh hard and she looks at me with bloodshot, but made-up eyes.

Before I can stop her she charges me and wraps me in the tightest hug I have ever experienced. I close my eyes tight and fight the urge to cry. I put my arm around her back and take a breath, "you should be out there."

"I can't walk across that stage without knowing, Ev. I need to know where we stand. What's going on?" She asks, looking over my face nervously.

I use my thumb to wipe under her eye before a tear can slip out, "I-It's handled. I resigned."

"What? Ev, I didn't mean to cause-" I cut her off.

"Shh, it isn't on you, Lex. It's on me." I assure her. "Your mom wouldn't have it any other way."

She rolls her eyes at my mention of her mother. "What about us, Evan?" The graduate asks me, nervous.

I take a long pause and just look at her broken eyes. My head shakes from left to right slowly and I lick my lips.

Her eyes instantly fill with tears and her lip trembles hopelessly. "No..." She whispers.

"Lexi, I am so sorry. It has to be this way . I can't lose my kids." I tell her, my own voice cracking as I say it. I grab her hand and squeeze tight and she lets a tear run down her cheek.

"You- Evan why?" She questions.

Before I can respond, the intercom starts playing music, signaling the beginning of the ceremony.

"Wipe your face, go." I tell her and she hesitantly spins and runs in the opposite direction, joining the rest of her class to walk.

I make my way to the stage with other staff members, dreading the task before me.

I take the stage and the students trail through as I read their full names and watch each of them receive a diploma from the principal who accepted my resignation just hours ago.

As I stand there, I know that Lexi's mom is watching from the crowd somewhere, damning me the whole time. I know my coworkers have no idea what I've gotten myself into, or that we'll no longer be coworkers. I also know that my kids are not present, nor is my ex-husband. I know he'll tell them awful things about me, and try his hardest to keep them from me. I know I messed up. I know this entire situation was avoidable, but my heart and my body had much different ideas from what should have been.

"Alexis Brewer." Her name burns when it leaves my lips and I see her take her first step onto the stage.

Her eyes find mine instantly and I hold back my emotions as best I can. I watch her take the diploma into her hand and have an immediate sense of pride for her accomplishments.

Lexi looks to me one more time before she exits the stage, and she does something quite unexpected. She walks to me quickly where I stand behind the podium, looks at me and wraps her arms around my neck tightly. My hands instantly close around her back and I feel thousands of eyes on us, including the principal's and her mother's.

At that moment, Lexi whispers in my ear what I've been feeling about her all along. "I love you, Evan."

A.N.:

The end.

Happy(ish) endings are overrated, right?

Hope everyone enjoyed reading this story! There have been many requests for a sequel, but I am still on the fence about it. Let me know if that is something you would really like to see in the future though!

Keep an eye out for new stories on my account!

ALSO, please keep negative and rude comments about my story to yourself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.5K 2.1K 42
[Complete] A professor x student, feel-good, romantic comedy. *** Lexi was used to working behind the scenes at her family's small private investi...
120K 3.2K 16
Emily had to take a year off from school because of her mental health, and now she's 18 and ready to start fresh. She's always been a straight-A stud...
285K 8.9K 38
Drew is just trying to survive life let alone high school. Her two best friend are her entire world and she loves to dance. There's a new English te...
413K 15.2K 57
Sofía von Emple - Castillo, as you can guess from her pretentious name, is the returning golden girl and Queen b of her high school. Sofía's life is...