New Beginning

By GeekOfManyForms

Unlike her twin sister, Elena, Elara Gilbert never quite fit in. Heck, how could she when this was at least t... More

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter Forty-five
Chapter forty-six
Chapter forty-seven
Chapter Forty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Three

718 27 11
By GeekOfManyForms

***A/N: Hello readers, so I have lots of news to share. I don't know if any of you have noticed, but I have been updating the earlier chapters of this story. So far I have 1-6 done. I have recently required a Beta, and she is slowly but surely working her way through this story and fixing it up. She is really amazing and I hope you guys go through and do a quick reread. Believe me, it is worth it. I haven't had her go through this chapter as she is still busy working on the others. Once she is done updating what I have already done, then I will have her fixing the newer chapters before I upload. I just thought you guys would want to read now instead of waiting even longer, but if you want me to wait on Casey to go over the new chapters with her golden fine-tooth comb, let me know for next time. That being said, send Casey all your love guys, she deserves it. Again, 1-6 is polished and beautiful, check them out. This new chapter is the longest I have ever written and I hope you guys enjoy it. Review, Review, Review! The next will have one of my favorite Originals in it! That's right ya'all, Elijah is in the next chapter! Plus, Vamp Care, Mason Lockwood, and the masquerade will all be occurring in yet another large chapter the next go around. So until next time, guys.***

Standing in front of my bedroom mirror I felt a familiar tug around my ribcage as Jenna tightened my corset. Wincing, I let out a small gasp, trying to ignore the burn in my chest caused by the lack of room to breathe. It had been centuries since I had been forced to dress this way, and I couldn't say I missed it.

If it wasn't for Caroline, I wouldn't be forcing my body to slip into this little contraption created by Satan himself, but she was insistent that I join in the festivities. Even if Mystic Falls seemed to have one too many celebrations, she wanted to be a part of every single one, and if she was, then I, as her best friend, had to be.

I so wanted to see where in the best friend handbook it stated that I had to be glued to her side at every damn function, but Caroline seemed to think it was a part of my job.

To pass the time, I watched Jenna's reflection, her forehead was wet with perspiration — cheeks pink as she tugged at the white laces on my gown, brows furrowed in concentration. I ran my tongue over my bottom lip to stop the smile that tried to escape, I didn't want to make her self conscious. With one final yank(and gasp from me) she was tying me up, finished with the complicated task.

"God that is exhausting. At least I'll know what to do when I have to seal Elena into her dress," she said, bending down and wiping her hands on her jeans.

I laughed lightly, wincing at the pain that shot through my chest. I almost forgot that along with losing the ability to breathe, I also would no longer be able to eat, move, bend, or laugh. What a way to live, but at least I'd look glamorous. I slowly lowered myself onto my vanity stool, allowing Jenna to toss my gown over my head. She was careful not to mess up my elegantly braided hair, for which I was insanely grateful. It had taken me forever to perfect. Once I had the dress draped over my thighs, Jenna reached out; helping me stand. We walked back over to the mirror, and she helped me button up the front of my gown, smiling at my reflection.

"Oh, you look so beautiful, Elara. This gown is perfect. You look like you just walked off the set of a period film!" Jenna squealed.

I chuckled, shaking my head as I eyed the dress. I ran my hands down the fabric with a nod. "Your right, it is perfect," I agreed.

The dress I had found online had been made by a company specializing in realistic period fashion. As much as I hated dressing up and joining in on all of these silly functions — if I was going to do it — I was going to do it right. I lived through this period once and wasn't going to walk around wearing something unrealistic and costume-like. As Jenna bent down to straightened the bottom of my dress, I took a moment to appreciate the design. I had chosen a sky blue, victorian bodice dress with lace trim around the sleeves. The fabric layering the top of the dress had a beautiful floral print in pink with golden hues, giving the whole design a burst of color. It was different, and not something I would have worn in that time period because the cotton would have cost too much to dye. It felt good to splurge a bit now; when I could afford it. I couldn't help but imagine how proud my mother (in that time ) would have been to see me in such a colorful gown. It's silly how material ideas like that still stick with you; even centuries later. Standing, Jenna took the cotton and lace choker that had been created to match the gown and stepped behind me.

"and…" She lifted my hair and snapped the choker in place, sighing with pride. "...you are done."

I pulled the end of my braid over my shoulder and smiled brightly. "Thank you, Aunt Jenna," I said.

With a nonchalant shrug, she grinned, leaving my room. I glanced at my reflection one more time, fiddling with my hair until I felt it was perfect. Noticing a pair of blue orbs shining from behind me, I spun around. "What do you think, Beks?" I asked, waving my skirt around.

Rebekah walked a circle around me and smiled. "It's gorgeous, and would have cost a small fortune back in the day," she said.

I scrunched up my nose, avoiding the topic of cost, and slid into my flats.

"Hey, those are not period accurate!" Rebekah huffed, arms crossed.

I rolled my eyes, tossing my skirt over my blue flats as Rebekah came to stand beside me, facing the mirror, her chest rising as she sighed heavily. She ran the back of her hand over her cheek and down her neck, staring daggers at her absent image. "You know, I miss being able to see my reflection. Although, I guess — with how long I've been daggered — I doubt I'd wanna see what I actually look like," she said, sorrowfully.

I glanced at her reflection, seeing her as easily in the mirror as I did standing beside me. I had never fully understood why she could not see herself but guessed it had something to do with the fact that, essentially, she wasn't here. Only her soul traveled to greet me from time to time. I still had no clue why I was the only person who could see her, yet, had never been able to do the same with her brothers, Finn and Kol. Both were in the same state she was. I bit the inside of my cheek and watched her stare wistfully at my reflection. The sickly grey skin around her blue eyes, wrinkled with sadness. I turned towards her and smiled weakly.

"You're still as beautiful here and now, as you ever were, Bekah. Even if a little grey."

Rebekah laughed, stepping away from the mirror as she brushed the hair from her eyes. Though she tried to hide it, I noticed her glance at the mirror one last time, her hand coming to hover over her chest. I knew, wherever her body lay, that was the spot where the dagger sat; buried in her heart. I was grateful that I didn't have to see it when she was in this form. Since it was her soul that came to find me, the taint of the dagger would always be absent. The dagger had been created with dark magic and was unable to travel with her. Unlike what some believe, vampires still possess souls, and dark magic can not latch onto an uncorrupted soul. The only way dark magic can corrupt someone's soul — is if they allow it — and so far Rebekah had not succumbed to its temptations. I shut off my lights as I slipped out of my room.

"Those shoes are still not period accurate, ya know," Rebekah said, voice sing-song as she stared down at her nails.

I started down the hallway, tossing my head back with a moan. "Yes, I know. For future reference, I only need one blonde nipping at me over every small detail. I already have Caroline for that, dear sister," I said.

Rebekah released an affronted scoff, as I headed down the stairs. "Excuse me, did you just say you had replaced me?"

Stopping in my tracks I spun around, rolling my eyes. I looked over Rebekah's face, taking in her wide watery eyes and pursed lips. She was feeling insecure for some reason.

"Rebekah Mikaelson, you are much too old for such childish nonsense. You know I could never replace you. You are my sister. What I meant is: I don't need two people constantly harping me about the little things. I'll keep Caroline for that, you just be there for when I screw up. I need you for the "I told ya so" speech and then to subsequently help me save my ass," I said, smiling up at her from the steps below.

Rebekah turned her head, casually wiping her eyes with the heel of her hand, light laughter leaving her lips. I could tell by the sardonic upturn of her lips, that she was following me into the memory of my terrible idea to call her brother a few nights before. "Deal, sister," she said, standing straighter.

Blowing her a kiss, I carefully made my way down the last few steps. I was surprised to find no one milling about on the lower level of the house. Placing my hands on my hips, I raised my eyes towards the ceiling, finding only the auras of Jenna and Elena residing upstairs. Jenna was probably helping Elena get dressed. With a devilish grin, I winked at Rebekah and lifted my gown, making my way over to my bag. Slipping my hand inside, I dug around until I found my leather pouch of ground vervain. I had been biding my time — waiting for the right moment to start hiding the vervain around the house, as I had done at Caroline's. The last few days had been rough — Stefan and Elena had been following me around like puppies — never giving me a moment's peace. I was sure it had something to do with me finding the time to break into the Boarding House and deactivating the Gilbert device. They had probably come to realize how much trouble I could get into left to my own devices. Whatever their deal was — it was starting to irritate me — and was bound to lead to a bit of a meltdown on my end. It wasn't like I couldn't find ways to do what I needed; even with an escort of Goodie, Goodies. Rebekah watched me curiously as I slowly walked into the kitchen, pulling the coffee from the cabinet. I removed the lid and shook in some vervain, rotating the container to mix it all, and then slipped it back into the cabinet. Once that was finished, I very slowly bent down, opening the cabinet under the sink so that I could reach our water filtration system. Biting my lip, I narrowed my eyes, feeling around until I could find where the filter attached to the base. Finally, I found where it snapped open. Pulling it out, I took a clump of vervain, layering it out smoothly over the filter so that the water could still seep through. Replacing the filter with a smile, I used the sink to lift myself off the floor, wincing as my ribcage protested fiercely. Wobbling slightly on my feet — I took several small breaths — blinking away the white spots that appeared in front of my vision, and shook off the small bout of dizziness. Rebekah stood behind me, her hands outstretched as if she could catch me if I fainted, and I giggled, rolling my eyes good-naturedly. She let out an irritated huff of breath, and I tilted my head, smiling lovingly at the apparition of my sister. I turned on the water and let it run watching for any spurts or lack of water pressure — when I found nothing — I shut it back off, satisfied. Well, that was done. I had already given Aunt Jenna some of my very 'special' vitamins, the same ones Caroline, Elena, and now Jeremey used. I had made several extra bottles of vervain tablets when I had created them to dose Caroline. I decided to then pass them out to those I cared about once I saw how well they worked. Still, I wanted to make sure our house was protected, that way if she ever forgot a pill one day, at least she would be drinking coffee, showering, or using the water in some way. At least I now knew Jenna was safe from compulsion, and for now, that was all I could do for her. I planned to try and convince Elena that we needed to tell her that truth. I wasn't going to allow her to sway me in the same way she had Jeremy. Yes we were all a family — and I didn't want to go behind Elena's back — but this really was important, and could quickly become a life and death situation. So if she didn't listen, then I would go to Alaric. He had to be smart enough to realize his girlfriend needed to be safe and to be so, she needed to know what was really out there. Then, if they both were too stubborn to see reason, I would choose to take care of the problem myself and tell her the truth without them.

Nodding at my internal dialogue like a total dweeb, I rolled my eyes heavenward. Lifting my heavy dress I headed back towards the front door. I took a moment to check in on Jenna and Elena, glancing at their aura's from the bottom of the steps. They were both centered in Elena's room and I didn't plan on bothering them — partly because the idea of seeing Elena made me cringe — and partly because I didn't think my lungs would survive the trek upstairs. With that decision made I pulled my phone and car keys from my bag — knowing that if I tried to take my bag with me — Caroline would have my head. Rebekah smirked beside me as I dispiritedly placed my bag back on the coat rack. It was rare that I went anywhere without it. It was kinda like my version of a security blanket. Reaching down, I fussed with my dress until I found the hidden pocket I had insisted the seamstress sew-in for me. Wiggling the pocket enthusiastically, I showed Rebekah with a bright smile, as I slid my phone inside. Covering her face with her hands she followed me out onto the front porch, trying to hide her smile. I waved goodbye half-heartedly as I stepped off the porch. I waited for her to disappear before I turned around and headed for the driveway. It wasn't until I stood in front of my car — a stressed grimace on my face — that I realized exactly how exhausting this normal endeavor was going to be. The satanic deathtrap I was being forced to wear was making the simplest of tasks marathonic. Tapping my foot on the pavement, I let out a small breath before wrapping my left arm around my waist. I bundled up my dress as I opened my door with my other hand. I took hold of the steering wheel and pulled myself inside. By the time I was backing out of the driveway, I was panting, a thick layer of sweat forming under my dress. This whole ordeal sucked, and I would be damned if I ever did it again. I didn't care how adorably blue Caroline's puppy dog eyes could be. Shaking my head, I added 'Grow a backbone, you thousand-year-old wuss!' to my mental checklist. Rolling my eyes I groaned, acknowledging to myself that I would probably never check that one off my list, no matter what my age reached.

Pulling into the High School parking lot, I let out a heavy sigh, my head falling back against the headrest as I saw the hustle and bustle. I wasn't in the mood for such a crowd. Several parade floats lined the blocked-off city street in front of the school. In the middle of the street, the school band was dressed in their uniforms, instruments in hand. Amongst the large crowd, I saw Matt, Tyler, and a few other boys all busy placing chairs atop the floats for people to use. Exiting my car, I fixed my dress, glancing around for Caroline; who I easily found standing by the Founders float. Before I could even consider bothering her, Mrs. Lockwood started barking orders for all of the Miss Mystic contestants and their dates, to start finding their places on the float. Making my way toward the group I sadly belonged to, I caught two familiar silhouettes out of the corner of my eye. Stefan and Damon stood off on their own, presumably awaiting Elena's arrival. Stefan's appearance made the breath hitch in my throat and I couldn't avert the heavyweight that fell into the pit of my stomach. It was silly of me, but all of these small reminders were like slaps to the face. Stefan wore a suave black suit — his hair of course — wasn't styled as it had been in our time, but he looked as he once had as a human, and it made me feel like Elandra Miller all over again. My eyes moved to the man standing next to him… Damon, the man that had promised his mortal life to me. Here we all stood — together again — in Mystic Falls. I watched them for a moment stunned, the bleak surreality of the entire situation hit me like a ton of bricks. As I stood there watching them, there wasn't a single moment where either of them noticed my green eyes observing them. As it had been in the past — once Katherine had joined our merry little trio — I was invisible, neither of them was waiting for me, but for the Petrova doppelganger. The similarities between the past and now; were staggering. As memories flooded me, I realized just how little some things had changed. I was no longer able to stop the uncomfortable chuckle that fell from my lips; my ribs flared hotly in anger. Both Salvatores turned towards my approach, Damon crossing his arms curiously, his bright blue eyes narrowing as I continued to giggle. His silk long sleeve black shirt, winked in the sunlight, catching my attention. My eyes roamed over his tight muscled arms of their own volition. The quick upturn of his lips told me he had caught the way I had appreciated his muscled form, and I rolled my eyes, coming to stand in front of the vampiric brotherly duo.

"Mr. Stefan Salvatore, you are looking quite dapper this afternoon," I said, my voice refined.

My eyes quickly took in Stefan's appearance with a stiff nod. He tried to fight back his grin but failed, his lips pulling up into a toothy grin.

"Well, Miss Elandra Miller. I appreciate the compliment. You are looking very lovely yourself," Stefan said, smiling at my attire.

I held back a wince at the use of my old surname as Stefan took my hand, planting a quick kiss on the back of it. With a laugh, I started fanning myself exaggeratedly, earning a growl from Damon.

"Such a gentleman," I sighed, batting my lashes.

Stefan rolled his eyes, helping me maneuver over the uneven ground. Turning around I could see why they had chosen this spot. They were both shamelessly enjoying a show in the form of a frazzled Mrs. Lockwood.

"So, I'm assuming you are both awaiting a certain sister of mine?" I said, my voice still holding its prim facade.

Stefan chuckled, shaking his head. "Yes, do you know if she is on her way?" he asked.

I watched Mrs. Lockwood running towards Tyler, wobbling in her heels, clipboard raised above her head as she yelled at him.

"She was still dressing when I left," I said, a smile painted on my pink lips as I watched Tyler try and keep his temper in check.

Damon leaned towards me glancing past his brother, head cocked to one side. "Are you going to fill us in on the earlier joke, Elandra?" he asked.

Keeping my gaze firmly on Tyler, I maintained a blank expression. "I don't think that would be wise, Damon. I doubt either of you would find my dark thoughts as humorous as I did," I said.

Stefan's hazel eyes curiously shined on mine, his hands sliding into his pockets as he turned towards me, Damon following him. Both brothers stared at me questioningly — for once their entire attention focused on me; something that I wasn't used to. Blinking rapidly, I scrutinized the Salvatores, refusing to be cowed by their intense staredown.

"I told you both, it was nothing. I can have my private thoughts, ya know," I said, with a scoff.

Damon stepped closer, lips turned down in a frown. "No, cause you see…the last time we didn't ask questions… the last time we just let you go about things alone, you died," he said.

Stefan nodded behind him, his expression was bleak and unforgiving. "Elandra, if we are going to get through this — find a way to break your curse — then you cant be hiding things from us. We can see when you're hurting, and we are both here for you," Stefan said.

With a shake of my head, I placed a hand on the back of my neck, glancing at my pseudo brother and ex-fiance.

Here for me?

Since when are they both here for me?

"Ok. Well then, since you're both so very adamant to know my every thought."

I stood taller, lifting my skirt and stepping closer to Stefan, patting his chest roughly.

"I was so enjoying the reminder of the past you brought on with your retro getup Stef."

Turning towards Damon I gave him my best sickly sweet smile.

"Then I realized how very little things had changed. I mean, here we all are, in Mystic Falls…together again, and here you both are...waiting for Katherine's lookalike."

I ignored the way they both flinched, too caught up in the feeling my whole body was giving off. It felt stiff with the need to release a bit of the built-up stress I had been carrying on my shoulders since the tomb had been opened. My heart fluttered in my chest as heat flared across my cheeks and down my neck, anger, and adrenaline pumping through my veins. Glaring at both men, I let my fake smile fall.

"Both of you are head over heels for her." I laughed, ignoring their stunned expressions. "And I-I am alone. Yet again," I stepped further away from them.

"That was what was on my mind. Now, maybe next time, you will both allow me my private thoughts. I will tell you both, when or if, I need you," I said, my voice weak.

Damon's blue eyes darkened for a moment, his hand twitching as if he wished to reach out for me — but as per usual— my sister's arrival drew his attention. The breath of every person — myself included — in our small circle hitched, as she started walking towards us. She looked exactly like Katherine. Every detail, down to her curled hair, was identical. As Damon and Stefan turned towards her, I stepped back. After she had slapped me, I had been avoiding her as much as possible. Yes, she and Stefan had been following at my heels, but I had been avoiding being alone with Elena, or even looking her in the eye. It may be juvenile, but the bitch had slapped me, all for being overwrought and angry; something I had every right to be. After everything Elena had done to me, I had only raised my hand to her once, when we were children. Turning around I headed for the Float, and Caroline. As always, she was a safe haven and would understand if I wasn't ready to deal with Elena's bullshit. I had explained everything to Caroline and I was a bit surprised when she had sided with me. She had not taken the slap well. The only person who had taken it worse had been Rebekah. If she hadn't been daggered, I would have feared for Elena's safety. I still might, once I do undagger her. I would be lying if I didn't say it brought a small smile to my lips, having at least two people who I knew were inherently on my side. Taking one last look back at the Salvatores and my sister, I sighed. I watched them both smiling down at her brightly as she swayed in her bronze dress, she lifted her green sash with a beam directed solely at Damon. As I watched him smiling at her enthusiasm, I knew deep down there was nothing I could do for him, he had fallen for her same as he had Katherine. The only thing I could do was be there for him when it inevitably fell apart; when she chose Stefan. Then again, maybe I was just being a cynic. Maybe she would break the cycle and chose Damon. I watched Damon's face fall as Stefan took Elena's hand, leading her towards the Float. I turned away from his painful pining and finished my own trek towards Caroline. It was time to help her with the parade as promised. I was already ready for the day to be over with.

Shoving my dress into the garment bag, I smiled viciously, sending it a glare as I zipped the bag with much more venom than was necessary. The entire parade had lasted much longer than I had ever thought possible. My designated job of handing out handfuls of fliers and packets of candy to herds of children, as their parents asked me for picture after picture 'Oohing' and 'Aahing' over my costume had been much more than Caroline had ever said I would have to endure. In all of my many…many lives, today is one I do not ever want to relive. In all, I am proud I made it through the day without killing anyone. There was one point, I almost lost my cool. Damon had the nerve to start taking pictures of my debacle on his cell. I almost considered zapping him, then and there, damn the crowd and the possibilities of being burned at the stake again. He deserved a strong bolt of lighting burning his immortal ass to a crisp. Grabbing my garment bag from where it hung, I tossed it over my shoulder; leaving the bathroom. Fighting my way through the Grill, I waved brightly at Matt who was sitting with Caroline at the bar. When she saw me heading out, she turned around in her seat, blowing me a kiss; winking flirtatiously. Wagging my eyebrows, I continued out of the bar, walking backward to better catch her kiss. I held it against my chest with a fluttering of my lashes as I spun back around on my heel. Caroline laughed, turning back towards Matt. Pushing open the door, I screwed up my eyes, raising my hand to shield myself from the blinding sunlight. I pulled the garment bag over my arm and started towards my car, noticing Jeremy and Damon standing at the end of the street, bickering back and forth. As Jeremy moved to leave, Damon grabbed his arm, pulling him roughly back towards him. Quickly heading in their direction, I could feel my magic flaring inside me. I squeezed my hand shut tightly.

"Damon!" I yelled, drawing the elder Salvatores attention.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing. Get your hands off my brother."

I pushed myself in front of the vampire. Jeremy jerked his arm away, jaw tight. My eyes scanned him, checking for any injuries before they snapped back to Damon.

"You didn't hear the way he was talking to, Elena. He needs to cut her some slack. She was only trying to protect him, and wasn't the one who took his memories," he said, glancing down at me.

Scoffing I stepped back — balancing my weight and handing over my garment bag to my brother — who I was surprised to find took it with no complaints.

"Dammit Damon. I've told you this is a family matter, and not for you to interfere in. What goes on between Elena and Jeremy is just that, between them. Jer has every right to be pissed at her — she may not have been the one to physically take his memories — but she asked you to take them for her; that's one and the same, Day," I said, shaking my head.

Damon took a step into my personal space. I wasn't sure if he meant it to intimidate me, or if it was just a habit from centuries of being such a huge ass. Either way, Damon Salvatore didn't scare me. Beside me, I could feel Jeremy's whole body tense.

"He is being a little punk, Ellie," Damon said.

I reached out and patted him on the cheek, gently caressing his face as I pulled away. "Damon, he is a teenager whose sister had his mind wiped of his first love. Then he finds out his other sister is dying, and also a witch, having never been told any of this. I think he deserves to be a 'punk' if he so wishes," I said.

With a raised brow, I reached over and took my brothers elbow, pulling him away from Damon, and pushing him behind me. "Your just old, and have forgotten what it's like to be a human teenager — but even if you hadn't — my brother doesn't exactly have normal issues," I smiled.

Damon scoffed, glacier eyes widening as he watched me lead Jeremy down the sidewalk, his hands in his jacket pockets. "I am not old, Elandra!" he hollered, glancing left and right, pale cheeks pink.

I chuckled, waving at him merrily over my shoulder, placing my arm in the crook of Jeremy's. I allowed him to lead me further away.

"I still haven't forgiven you, and I don't know if I can," Jeremy finally admitted as we turned the corner.

Taking my garment bag from his arm with a nod, I swallowed heavily. "I understand."

I pulled him to a stop, looking up into his eyes. I allowed the corners of my lips to turn up as I realized how much taller than myself my younger brother had become. "I would really like your forgiveness, Jeremy. But regardless of if you forgive me or not, I will never stop loving you," I said.

Glancing to my right I noticed we had stopped next to my car. "This is me, Jer. Would you like a ride home?" I asked.

Jeremy stepped away from me, his hands coming up towards his hips as he pulled his jacket back. "I don't think Im ready for that, Elara. I should go," he said, shaking his head as he headed in the opposite direction.

I started forward, my eyes peeled towards where he had bolted, watching him flee; his form becoming a speck in the distance. Throwing my head back, I let out a small grunt of anger, stomping my foot in exasperation. I huffed, angrily heading towards the back of my car. I tossed my dress into the trunk, slamming it closed. I not so secretly enjoyed the way the unsuspecting people nearby jumped in freight at the loud noise. Hopping into my car I sat back in the seat, sighing heavily. I fumbled with my car keys, the warm metal a very welcome distraction. With the many thoughts that were still swirling through my mind, it wasn't until I felt the small hairs on the back of my neck rise, goosebumps growing up both of my arms, that I realized something wasn't right. My eyes rose, focusing on the people surrounding my car all of them going about their normal routines, none of them paying me any mind. With a deep breath, I slid my key into the ignition, before closing my eyes and focusing my attention on the backseat, where I knew someone sat; waiting for me to notice their presence.

With a grimace I let out a breath, a low rumble leaving my throat. "Hello, Katherine," I said, glancing into my rearview mirror at my sister's doppelganger.

Katherine's reflection smiled at me, her wavy hair bouncing as she laughed at my angry expression. "Oh, come on. Our last meeting was much more pleasant. Was it not?" she asked, red lips pouting.

Rolling my eyes I swiftly turned in my seat, finally catching the full view of my tiresome companion. Katherine was wearing a long-sleeved red v-neck sweater, a pair of denim blue jeans, and black over the knee boots. As usual, she looked fantastic. Her ruby lips pursed as she caught my scrutiny.

"Well?" she asked, annoyance leaking from her tone.

"Yes Kit, last time we were in a much better place. But that had a lot to do with the fact, that you hadn't been trying to kill people I care very deeply for. Did I not warn you what would come from that?" I said, teeth bared.

Katherine propelled herself forward at vamp speed, her face inches from my own. She lowered her nose against my skin, slowly caressing me as she took a deep breath in.

"I forgot how mouth-watering your scent is, Ellie. Your breed of witch smell particularly appetizing. It would be such a pity if you were to die… early," she said, taking one last long draw of breath.

I let out a small shaky laugh, even if I wasn't at all afraid of her, my body still betrayed me. It could sense a predator and reacted accordingly, no matter the fact that I knew I could defend myself against her. My hands shook as I laid them in my lap.

I stared at Katherine, eyes hard. "You and I both know, that unless I want you to kill me — you won't be able to. Your threats mean nothing to me, Kit," I said.

Katherines bared her fangs, black veins appearing under her eyes as her vampiric visage appeared before me, something I had seen many times. I held my hands together tightly as they shook. I willed my body to focus and the fear to dissipate. I wasn't sure why my body was choosing now to betray me? Maybe it was the enclosed space or the fact that this was Katerina Petrova — but whatever it was — I wouldn't allow it to make me appear weak.

"You may not fear me yourself, little witch but there are others that are not as protected as you are. People you care about," Katherine smiled.

Her bright white fangs disappeared, leaving behind perfectly shaped teeth. I sat up, leaning towards her as my hands started to glow. "You touch anyone I care about Katerina and there will be a war between us. No longer will I hold anything but malice for you," I promised, my eyes pleading with her.

We had a history, Katherine and I, and I didn't want to fight her. She had been there for me when I was all alone, and she had tried to save me once. Yes, she had also done a number on me, at one point in time. Not to mention what she had done to hurt the Salvatore brothers. There was no denying Katherine's past was filled with darkness. Yet, I understood that you can not expect people to be perfect. Not when they have lived through hell. Katherine leaned towards me, placing a hand on my face.

"We were already at war the moment you stood between me and my freedom. I asked you to stay away, Ellie. Then you interfered with Isobel. Now, you are a threat. I can't abide threats, not when my freedom is so close," she said, running her fingers down my cheek.

"Then I guess this is goodbye, Katerina. The moment you step out of this car, that's it. I will be coming for you," I said, my eyes wet.

A part of me had always hated Katherine, but there was also that hidden part — that cared for her. Katherine smiled, her red lips parting wickedly.

"You know, there's only one other group of people I'd fear more." She smirked, her curls falling into her face.

When she looked back up at me I watched her brown eyes fog over with sadness for a brief moment — a moment where I could see everything she would never say to me. It was the only goodbye we would ever share. I allowed her to see the sadness in my own eyes, before I blinked, breaking through the fog.

"You won't be able to protect all of them, Ellie. I will be getting my revenge for what you did to Isobel, and my plans," she said, pulling away from me.

Before I could say a single word, she was gone, my back door hanging open, a breeze filtering through the car. I took a deep calming breath and stepped outside, shutting my door quickly. Fear was threatening to overwhelm me. I needed to get home and make sure Jenna and Jeremy were ok. I knew Elena was fine, there would be no way Katherine would hurt her. Nik needed her for his spell, and that was the whole reason Katherine was here in the first place. I slipped back into the car and sped towards my house. As I drove home, I started running through who would be on Katherines hit list. The Salvatores would take much too long to kill, and be more fun to mess with later on down the road. She would be going for someone quick and easy, someone human. As I pulled into my driveway, my mind kept coming back to Jeremy and Jenna, they would be perfect. They were human, and family. It would not only hurt me but Elena as well. Katherine had to know what hurt Elena, also hurt Stefan and Damon. So hurting Jenna or Jeremy would be like hitting all of us at once. I bolted from my car and ran inside, tossing the front door open fearfully, a loud bang echoing through the entryway as the door collided with the wall. Jenna dashed through the kitchen door — telephone in hand — her eyes widened in shock as she assessed me.

"Did you get the news then?" she said, voice shaking.

Her body jerked as the kitchen door swung forward, almost knocking her unsteady figure over. I quickly headed towards her, my head moving up and down as my eyes roamed her body, checking for any signs of trauma.

When I stood in front of her shaky form, I placed my hands on her cheeks. "What happened, Aunt Jenna?" I asked, my whole world seemed to be standing still as I waited for her answer.

Jenna lifted the phone that she still held tightly in her hand, her eyes misty. "Oh sweetie, there was s-something wrong with Mr. Lockwood's brakes. He and Tyler were taking Matt and Caroline home." Jenna took in a sharp breath, her face falling as I stepped away from her. "There was a wreck, Ellie. Caroline is in surgery now, Matt and Tyler are ok, but Mr. Lockwood… he didn't make it," Jenna said.

I stumbled away from Jenna, my vision blurry as I came to terms with the fact that I had been wrong. Katherine had gone after my friends. The only three people in Mystic Falls that I cared very deeply for outside of my family. I turned away from Jenna as I felt my power surge, I caught my reflection in the mirror that sat on the wall beside me as I stumbled towards the door, my eyes were shining a bright and powerful blue.

"Elara wait! You are in no shape to drive, let me take you. Elena and Stefan are already there," Jenna said, coming up behind me, her hand finding a place on my tense shoulder.

I closed my eyes, taking a few shaky breaths to calm myself and take back control of my magic. I nodded, unable to speak. Caroline needed me and I had nothing to give anyone else at the moment. Jenna drove me as quickly as she legally could to the hospital, thankfully accepting my silence without badgering me. When we finally arrived I all but flew through the halls of the Hospital, only stopping at the nurse's station so that I could be directed to the right floor. After I had been given Caroline's information — Jenna and I slipped into the elevator and I slammed my hand down on the appropriate button; tapping my foot impatiently as I waited for the doors to close. When they finally did, I let out a deep shaky breath, my whole body drooping as I felt the weight of what was happening fall down on my shoulders. Jenna wrapped her arms around me from behind, giving me the silent support I needed without asking anything of me in return. I stood there with Jenna's arms wrapped around me, and let out a few quiet tears, my whole being racked with guilt. I should have saved her, should have been there. She would never be able to forgive me for this, not when she found out it was all my fault. I sniffed, my nose itchy I could see my reflection in the silver mirror-like surface of the elevator doors. My eyes were red-rimmed and my nose pink and swollen. The elevator dinged, alerting us that the doors were about to open. I patted Jenna's hand, straightening my shoulders as I took a few steps forward. My mini break down was over, I couldn't afford to be weak. I sent Jenna a small smile over my shoulder as a thank you for her support. A nod of her head was all the return I got, and I was fine with that. We understood each other; always had. She knew I didn't like to feel or appear weak, and she respected that about me. We both knew that if we ever needed each other — we would both be there. We were family after all. The elevator doors opened and Jenna and I stepped out, speeding around the corner to find Matt, Tyler, and Liz sitting at the chairs opposite the nurse's station. I rushed towards Liz, and only just kept my tears at bay as she wrapped me in her arms, gently patting me on the back.

"It's going to be ok, Ellie. She is going to be fine," she whispered.

I sniffed, wiping my eyes as I stepped away. "How is she, Mrs. Forbes?" I said, sitting next to distraught looking Tyler who laid his arm over my shoulder.

"She is still in surgery, there was some internal bleeding," Liz said.

I shook my head, internally cursing Katherine. White-hot hate bubbled inside me as I thought of the many ways I could torture her. Tyler laid his head on my shoulder as Liz paced in front of us, her hands held in front of her, constantly wrapping around each other as she fidgeted. I could hear Tyler quietly sniffling beside me and my heart ached for him. His father had been an awful man, but he had still been his father. I knew better than anyone that losing a parent was never easy. I ran my fingers through his hair, playing with the strands at the nape of his neck. Matt watched us from the chair beside Aunt Jenna, and I sent him a sad smile, one he weakly returned. We waited for what felt like hours, never moving from our respective spots. All of us watched Liz uneasily as she continued to pace. We knew there was nothing we could do for her. Her daughter's life was hanging in the balance only a few rooms away, and that wasn't something you could just soothe away. Glancing around, I began to wonder where the heck Elena was? I vaguely remembered Jenna saying she and Stefan were both here; waiting for Caroline to get out of surgery.

I moved my fingers from Tyler's hair and kissed his head lightly. "Hey Ty, have you seen Stefan or Elena?"

Tyler sat up, glancing at Matt, his red eyes tired. "Yeah, they both took off somewhere a few minutes before you showed up," he said, voice cracking.

I patted his leg gently and stood from my seat, stretching my arms out above me. I tilted my head from side to side, glancing down the hallways as I scrunched up my nose, wondering where the heck my annoying doppelganger of a sister had gone off to. Before I could think too much on it, a tall man in a white lab coat came bursting through the double doors behind Liz.

"Sheriff Forbes?" he asked, glancing down at the clipboard he was holding.

Liz sped towards him, her eyes frantically searching his face. I followed behind her, quickly joined by Tyler, Matt, and Jenna. The Doctor looked up at our small group — all of us crowding around him — and sighed, his lined features exasperated. "Ok, why don't you all back up and take a deep breath."

He looked at each of us in turn, and I narrowed my eyes, stepping beside Liz. I placed my hand on her stiff arm for support and glared at the pompous ass before me. "No, why don't you do your fucking job and tell us about Caroline, yeah?" I said, leaning towards him aggressively.

My nerves were shot and I was about to blow up on somebody. This man just happened to be here, provoking my wrath. Liz wrapped her arms around me, pulling me away from the now shocked Doctor.

"Elara, calm down." Liz, ran her hand down my back as she passed me to Jenna who whispered soothing words in my ear, glaring at the Doctor with malice.

Liz turned back towards the frazzled Doctor, her face hard. "Now, I suggest you listen to my daughter's friend and do your damn job. Tell me how my daughter is," Liz said.

The mans Adam's apple bobbed as he nodded, fumbling with his clipboard, he flipped through the pages. "Your daughter is out of surgery. The next 24hrs will be crucial," he said.

Liz's head fell forward, her shoulders slumping. I wrapped my arms around her and nodded at the Doctor, permitting him to go.

"You can see her now, two at a time," he said, taking his leave.

I comforted Liz as the others moved back to their seats, talking quietly amongst themselves. When she was finally able to hold her head up, she smiled at me, wiping her eyes on her knuckles. "Would you like to come with me to see her?"

I took a deep breath and nodded, following her towards the double doors and down the long sterile hallway. Finally, we stopped in front of an off white door — the same as all the others — and I stood in front of the window beside the door, staring into the room, eyes wide. A nurse was standing beside Caroline's bed, messing with the machine that stood directly opposite her, but that wasn't what held my attention. My eye had been caught by the still form of Caroline; who laid in the hospital bed next to the busy nurse. Her blonde hair almost blending in with her ghostly pale skin. Her normally plump pink lips were now cracked and colorless. I held in a choked sob as Liz took my hand, leading me inside. The nurse beside the bed glanced our way — smiling briefly — before turning back around and continuing to press a few buttons on the machine. I stood beside the bed, taking Caroline's cold hand as I lowered myself into one of the chairs beside her. I could hear Liz talking quietly to the nurse behind me, but couldn't make out what they were saying. All I could hear was the beeping of Caroline's machines. The machines that were keeping her alive. The longer I listened to their incessant beeping, the more it sounded like they were saying 'your fault, your fault'. I lowered my head and closed my eyes. I tried to ignore my surroundings, and instead focus on the feel of Caroline's hand in my own. Somewhere along the line, Liz told me she was going out to find a Doctor, but I chose to stay put, Caroline's hand still firmly in mine. I sat back in my seat and placed my empty hand against the bridge of my nose, applying a bit of pressure; in hopes that it would alleviate the migraine that was starting to pulse against my skull.

The doorknob jiggled, drawing my attention and I lowered my hand, opening my eyes slowly, my expression guarded. I was so not in the mood for any more stress. The green eyes of Bonnie Bennett greeted me as she slid into the room, her face sad, as she caught the image of Caroline laying motionless beside me. I sat forward, scooting to the edge of my seat as I watched her move closer.

"How is she?"

My eyes moved back toward the still form of my friend, scanning her swiftly as I shrugged half-heartedly. "She's not good, Bon," I said.

Bonnie sat down beside me shaking her head, her green orbs never leaving Caroline. "What happened?"

I sighed heavily, wondering briefly if she had lost a game of rock, paper, scissors and had to be the one to come in here and question me. "Katherine happened, Bonnie. She came to visit me earlier and told me since I stepped in and handled the Isobel situation; effectively destroying the Gilbert device. I was in the way and would pay for messing up her plans. Caroline is serving as Katherine's payback," I said, tears burning at the corners of my wet eyes.

Bonnie gasped, her emerald orbs flashing between me and Caroline. "Why didn't you do something? I've seen your magic, you could have protected her," Bonnie said, voice thick with accusation.

I turned swiftly, my empty hand gripping the hand rest of the chair tightly, nails digging into the wood. "Don't you think if I would have known her plans, I would have interceded! I would give my life for those I love Bennett," I said, venomously.

Bonnie raised her hand in supplication, standing to her feet and stepping away from my lethal glare. "Your right, I'm sorry. We are all just scared. Katherine is here then? Elena's doppelganger? Basically her twin," Bonnie said, summing up the entire situation as if I didn't already know.

I groaned, gripping Caroline's hand to keep myself from screaming. "Thank you for explaining to me what a doppelganger is, Professor Bennett. I was starting to get confused."

The witch spun around and narrowed her eyes at me, stepping around Caroline's bed.

"Yes, Katherine is in Mystic Falls and she is here for a specific reason; one she hasn't revealed to me. What I do know is: she is dangerous," I said, motioning towards Caroline.

I tucked away the guilt I felt, lying to Bonnie and the others. I wanted to tell them exactly why Katherine was here, but there was no way I was going to be the one to reveal Nik's curse to them, and what Elena would have to give up to help him break it. I would be labeled an enemy just as quickly as Nik, all because I knew him… personally. That was a problem I was still trying to find an answer to; how to regain their trust once all was revealed. I sat back with a sigh and raised a brow.

"Oh, and that she looks exactly like my sister. I know that now too. Thanks to you," I said, sassily.

Bonnie glared at me hatefully, shaking her head. "Yeah, we don't have time for you snark, Elara. We need to warn everyone, and figure out a way to help Caroline."

I laughed lightly, looking down at my nails. "Oh Bonnie, I'm sure they all already know she is here. Do you honestly think she hasn't left her mark yet?"

I raised my green eyes to meet Bonnies darker ones. "This..." I motioned towards Caroline, my muscles protesting from exhaustion. "...was just the beginning. Caroline was just a big middle finger in my direction. A reminder for me to stay out of her way," I said.

Bonnie looked away, crossing her arms.

I looked down at my hand, the one that still held Caroline's, and frowned. "And what exactly would you like for us to do about Caroline? The Doctor's have done everything they can. I am powerful, yes. But there is only so much you can do with magic before it borders on the dark," I said, watching the witch carefully.

I could see her mind whirling, and knew whatever she was planning, wouldn't turn out the way she wanted.

"I thought your magic was different, that you didn't have anyone to answer to?" she huffed.

Standing I let out an annoyed sigh, running my fingers through my messy hair. "Your right, Bon. I don't answer to my ancestors as you do. But, there are still some things that count as dark magic no matter what kind of witch you are, and messing with life and death… well, that's about as dark as it gets." I looked down at the pale visage of my friend and grimaced. "Healing Caroline would take dark, heavy magic. She sustained extensive damage in the wreck. I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to pull forth such powerful magic and place it inside her. It could change her in very fundamental ways, Bonnie. Some pieces of magic are best to leave alone," I said, raising my eyes to look at the young witch in front of me.

Bonnie was watching me with disbelief and anger. "How can you say that? How can you just leave her to die?" Bonnie asked, her voice rising. I lowered my head, closing my eyes against her anger. "Bonnie, I am not leaving her to die. She is in a Hospital and I have been here all night, sitting beside her and lending her as much of my energy as I physically can. It's not as much as I wish I could do, but its all I can give her at the moment. Caroline wouldn't want anything else," I said, opening my eyes and staring her down.

Bonnie glared at me, her hands falling to her hips. "You may think you know everything about Caroline, but I know she wouldn't want to die, and I won't let her," Bonnie said, yanking the door open and storming out of the room.

I couldn't believe that Bonnie actually thought I would sit here and just let Caroline die. I was doing everything I could to help speed up her healing. I was sending her my magical energy, filling her with as much strength as I could without going too far. It would help her stay strong and alive. Whatever Bonnie was planning wouldn't end well; I could feel that much. I sat back down and felt my eyelids drooping. I was exhausted, lending Caroline my energy had done me in. Leaning forward, I laid my head on the bed, keeping my hand in Caroline's, I allowed my eyes to fall closed.

I felt something soft brush against my forehead and groaned, moving my hand to smack whatever it was away. A lighthearted giggle met my ears, heating my insides like liquid fire. I sat up quickly, my head spinning as I met the cool blue eyes of Caroline Forbes. Her blonde hair was held up in a bun atop her head, her skin pink and warm to the touch. My chest immediately started to heave, my dry eyes burning as they filled with hot tears. Caroline's face fell and she reached out to me, motioning for me to lay beside her on the bed. I stood, moving beside her and very carefully laid next to her so that my head fell on her shoulder. I let the tears continue to fall, unguarded. Enjoying the way her fingers combed through my tangled hair. Deep down, I knew something wasn't right — that she shouldn't be awake and looking so healthy — but at the moment all I cared about was that she was alive.

"Its ok, Ellie. Im ok."

I snuggled into her arm and scoffed. "You bitch. You almost left me!" I said, lightly smacking her shoulder.

Caroline laughed, hugging me tightly. "Well, I see you made sure I'm still here; stuck with you."

Caroline smiled brightly, a single strand of healthy blonde hair falling from her updo. Blowing the errant hair from her eyes, her expression softened. "You stayed with me the entire time?" she asked.

I looked up into her baby blue eyes and nodded. "I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else," I said.

Caroline kissed my cheek and sighed contentedly, continuing to run her fingers through my hair. After a few minutes, we heard voices outside of the door and I moaned, standing and pulling my hair into a ponytail. Bonnie and Matt slipped into the room, and I sent them both exhausted smiles. Bonnie smirked at me and I narrowed my eyes, my heightened senses flaring. Of course, she had something to do with Caroline's newly recovered state.

What did she do?

Bonnie sauntered past me, a bright smile on her face as she flung herself at Caroline, hugging her tightly.

"Careful, still a little sore," Caroline said, wincing.

I tapped my fingers against my thigh as I watched their interaction. I grinned as Matt was the next to greet Caroline, kissing her enthusiastically.

"Oh, isn't he cute?" Caroline said, pulling away and cooing as she pinched Matt's cheek.

I giggled, shaking my head. Caroline peered past Matt, scrutinizing my tired form as a yawn overtook me. My back popped as I stretched my arms out in front of me.

"Ok, that's it. I appreciate you being here all night, but you need sleep. Matt will take you home," Caroline said, snapping her fingers at Matt, and pointing in my direction.

Matt quickly jumped to it, ushering me toward Caroline for a quick goodbye.

"Care, I don't think it's a good idea for me to leave. I need to talk to you," I said, eyeing her pink cheeks and bright eyes.

Bonnie crossed her arms, glaring at me with a fiery expression. "Caroline will be fine by herself, Elara. She is healing well."

I stood my ground, staring at her pleadingly. Something wasn't right and I couldn't stand by and say nothing, even if I was happy she was awake. She directed her bright smile at me like a rising Sun.

"There is so much I need to tell you, Care Bear," I said.

Caroline took my hand, rubbing my wrist gently with her thumb. "I'm sure whatever it is, it can wait for a few hours while you rest up. You were here for me while I was out. Now you need to take care of yourself."

With a resigned sigh, I nodded, squeezing Caroline's warm hand one last time, before allowing Matt to lead me out of the room. I glared at Bonnie as the door started closing behind me, her expression was one of smug triumph, a triumph I had a sinking feeling wouldn't last. I was terrified of what I felt coming. All I could do now was hope the fall wasn't one that had me losing Caroline; this time for good. When the heavy door snapped close, I followed Matt down the hall, stopping in front of the coffee machine with a moan of delight.

"Hey Matt, I'll meet you outside, I am gonna get me a cup of caffeine before we go. I am so gonna need something to keep me awake long enough to get home and take a shower," I said, chuckling.

Matt nodded, his lips turning up in amusement. "Sure thing. I'll go start the car and get the heat going."

I waved him away and poured myself a cup of coffee, enjoying the strong smell that always reminded me of rushed mornings full of loud voices, and the delicious smell of sizzling bacon. I was stirring the sugar into my cup when I saw a flash of dark hair out of the corner of my eye. I spun around and narrowed my eyes, stepping toward the hall. A quick flash of Bonnie Bennett was all I saw as she escaped around the corner. With an indifferent shrug, I grabbed my coffee and slowly headed down the hall. As I turned the corner, my ears perked up catching a few familiar voices. I edged closer to the end of the hallway and slowed down. I stood at the edge of the corridor, my back pressed against the wall. Bonnie's clear voice rang out in the empty hallway, an edge to her unforgiving tone. She was discussing Caroline's newfound health with Elena and Damon. Bonnie and Damon bickered back and forth as I sipped my coffee, unwilling to step around the corner and get involved. It angered me that the only way I was able to receive any real answers to what their little gang was actually up to, was by eavesdropping. I closed my eyes as Damon taunted Bonnie, reminding her that she had been the one to ask him to use his blood to heal Caroline. I leaned against the wall, shaking my head. Now that made sense. How the hell had he been able to get into her room last night without me sensing him? How could I had been so stupid? I had allowed myself to get so weak that it had led to missing something vital. It was a mistake I could not repeat. I tried to remain calm, reminding myself that at least Caroline was in a hospital surrounded by witnesses. Katherine had her revenge, hopefully, she would leave it at that. I was still too weak right now to place any protections around Caroline's room. I needed to go home and rest so that I could get my strength back. I inwardly groaned as Bonnie snapped a scathing final remark at Damon, leaving him and Elena alone. Thankfully, she went in the opposite direction and away from me. Glancing up I could see Damon and Elena's reflections in the safety mirror above me. They both stood in front of each other, shoulders tense. Damon was only inches away from my sister, obviously unconcerned with her personal space. I bit my lip, my fingers scratching against the styrofoam cup I was still holding. I glared at their reflections with annoyance.

"I know this is probably the last thing you want to do right now, but we should talk about what happened last night," Damon said.

Elena crossed her arms, shaking her head in a questioning manner. "Yeah, someone tried to break into the house last night. John was the only one home and wouldn't tell me who it was. He said I shouldn't get involved," Elena said.

My brows raised in surprise. Well, that was a new development. Who the hell had tried to break into our house? I mean, it had to be Katherine, right? How did Uncle John know she wasn't Elena? I ran my hand over my face, sighing quietly. Why does my sister insist on keeping things from me?

Damon leaned forward in shock. "What? When? After I left?"

I watched Elena lean towards him in confusion. "You were there?"

Damon took a step back, his hand outstretched towards Elena, head tilted in unease. "Come on, Elena, you know I was."

Elena shook her head, refusing to fall for whatever trap she assumed Damon was setting for her. I could see that no matter what he had done for her recently — even saving Caroline's life — she still didn't trust him.

"When were you at the house?" Elena asked.

Damon ran his hand through his hair exasperatedly. "Really? Last night, on the porch, we were talking — all cathartic — feelings exposed. Come on, we kissed, Elena."

Elena's eyes widened comically, staring at Damon as if he had lost his damn mind. My stomach churned as I watched him gaze at her, his blue eyes sincere. He had kissed my sister? I mean, I had known about his feelings for her — but to know she returned them in some form, was completely different. Yet, as my eyes ran over Elena I could see she wasn't lying. She had no clue what he was talking about. So, if he didn't kiss Elena, there was only one other person it could have been; Katherine. My hands clenched into fists, crushing the cup I held. Scalding hot coffee spilled down my hands and wrists — and I jumped — flinching with a stuttered curse of anger. I dropped the ruined cup, shaking my red hands out beside me.

Dammit!

I looked up at the safety mirror and sighed, a pair of cerulean eyes were staring down the hall in my direction.

Well, cover officially blown. Well down Elara.

Clutching my hands to my chest, I side-stepped around the corner, leaning against the edge of the wall. I wiped my raw, wet hands on my shirt, biting my cheek as my skin protested the contact.

"Hey, guys. So, I'm assuming you have both realized Katherine is back in town?" I asked, glancing at Damon with a raised brow.

Damon's guilty expression was almost too much for me.

"It was Katherine that kissed him," Elena stated, her eyes dazed and nervous.

I nodded, biting my lower lip. "Yeah, she also caused the crash the hurt Care. She was pissed at me for getting in her way. I am not on her good list right now," I said, chuckling softly.

Elena moved towards me, eyes roaming my body. "What the hell, El. You should have called me and Stefan. You could have ended up in a bed right next to Caroline," Elena said.

I rolled my eyes, brushing her away as she tried to take my hands. "I can handle myself. She knows not to come after me directly. That is why she went after my friends. The fact is, we are going to have to take her down. We can't have her running around causing trouble," I said.

I looked behind her at the ever silent Damon. He had been watching me closely, expression guarded. I didn't think either of them would ever truly understand me. That's why I decided to keep my true plans for Katherine to myself. I didn't feel like seeing the harsh judgment fill their eyes. She would pay for what she did to Caroline. I wasn't entirely sure when I had started to claim those I loved as people belonging to me, but I did. I didn't see them as objects but as treasures. I was sure it had something to do with the fact that I had been forced to lose so many people over the centuries. Becoming overly attached to the people I loved was yet another by-product of the curse. When I love someone, I tend to get a bit possessive. In the best way possible of course. That's why Katherine should be very afraid. She knew that no one got by with hurting anyone that belonged to me.

Rubbing my eyes, I yawned. "Listen, Elena, I am exhausted. Before you guys decided to feed Care Damon's blood…"

My eyes darted between the two people in front of me and I shook my head.

"Behind my back, I might add..."

Elena shifted her weight from one foot to the other uncomfortably, avoiding Damon's eyes at all costs.

I rolled my own and continued. "I had been feeding her my energy. So I am tapped out. I need to sleep and recharge," I said.

Elena rubbed my shoulders and glared at Damon. "I didn't like the idea either. I told Damon and Bonnie that you probably had a plan, but they didn't listen," Elena said.

Stepping away from my sister, I met her gaze. There was no way she would get on my good side that easily. She and I were not on good terms, regardless of what side she had chosen to take this time.

"Good for you, Elena." I brushed past her, ignoring the hurt expression on her face by focusing on the pulsating pain of my burnt skin.

I would be bathing my hands in Aloe when I got home. Damon turned towards me as I passed him, and I lifted my head with an annoyed sigh.

"You spoke to Katherine?" he asked, the skin around his eyes crinkling.

"Yes, she showed up in my backseat earlier and we had a nice chat."

I tilted my head and watched his eyes darken.

"What did she say to you?"

Pulling at my sleeves I avoided looking at him. I knew they would have their inevitable meet-up soon, and I just hoped he would finally get what he needed from her.

"Same old, same old. Hi, how ya been. Im gonna kill everyone you love. Yadda, yadda." I said, waving my hand in a circle.

Damon leaned closer to me, his jaw clenched in agitation. "You are fooling yourself if you think you can take on Katherine. You are acting like this is nothing. She wants you dead, and if she wants you dead; then you will be"

I couldn't stop the small grin that enveloped my lips. My cheeks warming as I watched the anger build across his face. "Yeah, I know, Damon. I have known her for far longer than you have, ya know. The thing is, she won't be able to kill me unless I want her to — and guess what — I don't. Not this time. Katerina will not be my end in this life, Damon. I can promise you that," I said, placing a hand on my hip.

Elena took hold of my elbow, spinning me around. "No one is going to be your end, El. You aren't going anywhere."

I frowned at my sister, my heart aching as I covered my eyes with my hands. "Listen, I need to go home. I don't have it in me for any more of these discussions. I need to sleep."

I looked up at Damon, noticing the way his eyes watched my sister and turned my head. "Elena, you need to make sure Stefan knows his ex is out and about. I am positive she will be raring to play mind games with everyone in town. Especially, her pet Salvatore's." I sneered, ignoring the stern look on my sister's face. "Then once we get Care out of the Hospital we need to meet-up and discuss a way to get rid of her," I said, brushing the hair from my forehead.

Elena took her phone from her back pocket and started to slide her finger across the screen, nodding her head. "Right." She looked up as she put the phone against her ear, turning her head in Damon's direction. "And you need to make sure you don't mistake her for me again," she said, smirking at Damon.

She tapped her foot on the floor as she waited for Stefan to answer his phone. Turning towards me she took in a deep breath. "El, I will tell Stefan about your plan. I am sure he will agree that we need to set something up. Katherine is dangerous. With you, Stefan, and Damon we know enough about her to figure something out," she said, lowering her head and walking away.

I watched her talking animatedly into her cell as she rounded the corner. I let off another yawn and started down the hall, Damon following close beside me. I tried my best to ignore him — yet after only a few moments of silence — he turned towards me, harshly shoving his hands into his pockets.

"Do you honestly think you can beat Katherine?" he asked.

I lazily turned my head in his direction. "Yes, Damon I do. Cause, I don't see her as some Goddess that set the sun shining in the sky."

Damon growled, an affronted expression on his face. I raised my hand before he could speak. "You have loved her for so long, that you have built up this otherworldly view of her. I can understand that. There is also the fact that you know she is — and always will be — stronger than you and Stefan. So, she has you right where she wants you. You love her and fear her. Two very powerful emotions, wrapped up in one," I nodded, deep in thought as we continued down the hall.

I turned a corner as I saw the way to the exit. Damon quietly watched me contemplate what I would say next. "To me though, she is just another vampire. Powerful and old as she may be. I knew her when she was just like Elena, nothing more than a doppelganger. A human with fears and desires, just like any other. You have to remember, everything she wanted or feared as a human, she still wants or fears now. All you have to do is pick which you want to exploit," I said, sighing as I saw the entrance.

The sun shone brightly and I could see Matt's truck waiting for me. I wrapped myself up in my jacket and turned toward Damon, looking into his eyes, their usual bright blue darkened with fear and anger.

"How well do you know Katherine, Elandra?" he asked, face blank.

I looked down at my red hands, suddenly even more tired then I had been only moments before. "I know her very well, Damon. What she revealed to me in the past, will end up being her undoing, but I gave her a chance." I looked back into his eyes and shook my head. "She chose this war, and I always play to win. Even if it leads me down a darker path then I like to take," I said.

I could feel my face harden as I spoke, remembering Caroline's still form laid out in her hospital bed. "I don't like any of this, Day. But I protect what's mine, and Katherine crossed a line," I said, turning away and heading out the door.

I could feel his eyes on me but ignored him. I needed to sleep. I smiled at Matt as I slipped into the car, my head falling against the soft seat.

"Let's get you home, Ellie," he said, driving away.

My phone buzzed on the nightstand beside me and I moaned, my hand smacking at the offending piece of machinery. When I missed it, instead knocking my lamp from the table, the loud crash jolted me into consciousness. I sat up quickly, shielding my eyes with my hand as I slipped out of bed, pulling my curtains closed so I could see without being blinded by the stupid sun. My phone continued to vibrate against the wood of my nightstand and I hobbled towards it, my lids hooded as I yawned. Grabbing my phone, I rolled back onto the bed, pressing it to my ear.

"H-Hello? I said, fighting back another yawn.

I placed a hand on my forehead as Tyler's exhausted voice greeted me. "Hey, Elara. Did I wake you?" he asked.

"Yeah, but it's ok. What's going on? Is everything alright?"

I could hear him take a deep breath, the speaker crackling, as I waited for him to speak.

"Um, yeah, mom is going a bit nuts, but she called Uncle Mason," he said.

I sat up, resting on my elbow, brow raised. "Mason is back in town?" I asked, surprise evident in my voice.

An actual werewolf was in town. One who had activated his curse. This was not going to go well, the Salvatores were bound to notice his… differences.

"Yeah, mom called him and told him about dad, and I guess he could tell she needed help…" Tyler's voice trailed off, something left unsaid.

I bit my lip, giving him a few moments before I started poking him for more info. There was obviously something he wanted to say but was hesitant. I could hear his heavy breathing and knew he was fighting back tears.

"Ty, what's going on? You know you can tell me anything," I said, standing and taking the brush from my vanity.

I pulled the brush through my hair as Tyler collected his thoughts. "It's just… Mason is acting strange, Ellie. He keeps asking me odd questions about m-my dad and some kind of moonstone he was supposed to have,"

The brush fell from my hands with a loud thunk, hitting the edge of my vanity and rocking back and forth before it tumbled to the floor. I stared straight ahead, my breathing ragged.

A moonstone?

No, it couldn't be. What are the fucking odds?

"A moonstone, Ty? What kind of moonstone?" I asked quickly.

I moved to my chest of draws and yanked on the first pair of jeans that met my hand.

"I don't know, Elara. He said it's white, sorta cloudy looking. Said it's a family heirloom, and very important," Tyler said.

I sat my phone on the vanity and placed it on speaker, before running my hand across my room — casting a silencing spell — to make sure I didn't have any eavesdroppers listening in.

"Listen, Tyler, this is going to sound odd, but do you know where the stone is right now?"

Tyler huffed in confusion. "Why would you ask me that? What is so important about some stone anyways, El?" Tyler asked.

I pulled a sweater over my head and closed my eyes in annoyance. I needed that moonstone and didn't want to deal with an untriggered werewolf to get it. Triggered werewolves alone, were prone to bouts of emotional irrationality. Tyler though could be far more dangerous. He hadn't triggered his curse yet — and until he did — and finished his first turn, he would be extremely unpredictable. His anger could spike, blinding him to all else.

"Tyler, can I meet you at yours? I swear I will explain everything to you when I get there. Everything, ok? No more secrets," I said, vowing to do just that.

I would rather him find out what he is from a close friend. If Mason told him, who knows what would happen. He could try and tempt him into joining a pack full of vamp hating, human-hating, wolfs. Tyler sighed, and I picked up the phone — taking it off of speaker and heading out of my room.

"Yeah, sure. I'll be here, but no more secrets, Ellie," he said.

I nodded, even though he couldn't see it.

"No more secrets."

I drove quickly, my mind flying through so many different scenarios. I just couldn't believe that the moonstone was here, in Mystic Falls. How had it ended up in the same town as the Doppelganger and me? What are the odds? After all these years, everything Nik needed to break his curse was in one town, and he didn't even know it. I bit my lip against the shocked laugh that was fighting its way up my throat.

This was sheer insanity!

I was a few more revelations away from the nuthouse.

Pulling into the Lockwoods driveway I took in a breath through my nose, shutting off my car. Tyler was waiting for me on the front porch, his arms crossed against his broad chest. I brushed a strand of loose hair behind my ear as I approached, smiling up at him. I took in his house with a slight blush.

"It's been a long time since we've been here alone, Ty" I whispered, standing next to him.

Tyler's chest shook as he chuckled, his tan skin darkening.

His throat rose and fell as he swallowed deeply. "Yeah…" he said, eyes roaming my face.

The air thickened as he took my hand, pulling me inside. We headed upstairs and toward his bedroom. He stopped just outside the door and cleared his throat awkwardly, his hand on the doorknob. I placed mine on his shoulder, squeezing reassuringly with a soft nervous giggle. Tyler led me inside, shutting the door swiftly behind us. I stepped further into the room, glancing around with a small grin. It had been years since I had been in Tyler Lockwood's bedroom. I had avoided his house altogether since that one awkward time we had shared; our first time. Nothing about his room had changed, even his decor was the same. Everything in his room was centered around football. I stood in the middle of the room and watched Tyler awkwardly run his hands down his jeans, staring at his bed, teeth nibbling on his bottom lip. Sensing his nerves, I motioned towards the bed, slowly walking over and sitting down. With a relieved rush of breath, Tyler joined me.

"This was a lot more uncomfortable than I thought it would be," he said.

I laughed earnestly, my head falling back with amusement. Tyler's face was flushed with embarrassment, his forehead wrinkled with concern.

"Well, of course, it is, Ty. The last time we were in this room together we were losing our virginities," I said, giggling.

Tyler's flushed face darkened further, red traveling down his neck. He averted his eyes, and I grinned as he fumbled with his fingers.

"Let's just focus on the present, yeah?" I asked.

Tyler's upper body sunk with relief as he let out a grateful breath. "Sounds good," he said.

"Ok, Ty, I told you I would explain everything. The complete truth."

I turned towards him, tucking my left leg underneath me. Tyler watched me with an uneasy earnest expression, his shoulders stiff. I could see how important this was to him. As I ran my eyes over him I felt some of the weight I had been carrying begging for release. I had promised Tyler the complete truth, and that is exactly what I found myself wanting to give. I wanted to free myself of everything. Tyler and I had never been extremely close, but he had been there for me when I needed him. He had always known how to help me work through some of my worst days. Days when I had remembered things a young girl should never have to remember. Tyler was a good friend and had the potential to be a great man. All he needed was someone to believe in him; trust him. Swallowing deeply, I lifted my hand, allowing my magic to seep through my skin, lighting up my fingers with its electric blue tint. Tyler's eyes widened comically, his body falling backward, tumbling from the bed. He started inching away from me, crawling back toward the wall behind him. I lowered my head in exasperation, extinguishing my magic with a frown.

"I'm not going to hurt you, Tyler," I said, standing.

I walked toward him, my hands raised in surrender. Tyler watched me approach, his brown eyes wide, panting for breath.

"You were glowing, Ellie."

He stared at my hands in shock.

"Why the hell were you glowing!" he yelled.

I winced at the volume of his voice, waving my hand to muffle his room. Tyler watched the room glow briefly before dimming, in abject terror. I tried a weak smile, which Tyler ignored in favor of pointing his finger around the room. "What was that? What did you do?" he asked, voice reaching a new key.

I took a step back, fearing for his poor heart at this point, and sighed. "Um, it was a spell to muffle your room. I didn't want you to draw anyone's attention. You wanted the truth, Ty, and that's what I'm trying to do now. Tell you everything, but it's easier to show this part. People tend to believe what their eyes can see," I said.

Tyler lowered his head onto his knees, chest heaving. "A spell?" he asked, shaky voice muffled.

I lowered myself, sitting down a few feet away from him, curling my legs in front of me. "Yes, a spell. I am a special kind of witch. The last of my kind, actually," I said, leaning toward him with a smile.

Tyler looked up, eyes meeting mine with uncertainty. "A witch?" he said, brow raised.

I nodded, biting my lip. Tyler laid his head against the wall. "What, like in the Wizard of Oz?" he weakly chuckled, shaking his head in disbelief.

I kept silent, allowing him a moment to come to grips with his new reality. It wasn't easy realizing the world was full of the supernatural. After a few silent moments, Tyler lifted his head — gaze trained on me — his hands placed on his knees. "Well then, I guess I only have one question for you," he warily said.

My chest rose as I took a deep breath. Tyler leaned toward me, lowering his knees. "Are you more like Glenda or The Wicked Witch?" he asked, eyes filling with mirth.

I bolted toward him, crawling into his lap with a laugh. I wrapped my arms around his neck, grateful sobs of relief leaving my lips. I had been so afraid of another reaction like the one Elena had originally had. Tyler ran his shaking hand down my hair and I curled myself into his chest — deciding then and there — that I would finally trust someone with the complete truth.

"Tyler, I want to tell you a story?" I said.

I moved to sit next to him, leaning my head on his shoulder. Taking my hand, he nodded. I gripped his rough hand tightly and started in on my story. I told him about my mother and how she died, leaving me to grow up with the Mikaelsons. I told him about Nik and how much I loved him and his siblings. I even told him about how Esther had cursed me, leaving me to die eternally on my 18th birthday. Tyler listened to me explain everything intently, only making a few shocked outbursts at certain parts of my story.

"Your telling me vampires are real, and you helped create them?" he asked in shock.

I winced, looking away from his round brown eyes. "Yeah I did, but in my defense, I didn't know what the spell entailed. I just knew if I didn't help Esther — then Mikael would be furious — and I didn't want him taking his anger out on his family," I said.

"They did it to fight the local werewolves?" Tyler asked, his brow furrowed in thought.

I kept my face blank, nodding slowly. "Yeah, Henrik wanted to see the men turn into wolves, so Nik took him out during the full moon. Henrik was killed. It was a fatal mistake. No one's fault. Just a mistake," I said, defending Nik even to this day.

Memories flowed through my mind. Nik carrying Henrik's body back to town, covered in blood and gashes. Nik had been inconsolable and didn't even try and fight back as Mikael took his anger and disgust out on him. I was sure Nik still blamed himself for Henrik's death, and always would.

"Werewolves are also real, then?" Tyler asked, looking down at his hands.

A moment of pure fear and realization flitted through Tyler's eyes.

"How do you become a werewolf?" he asked, looking at me.

I sent him a sympathetic smile. "You are born into it, Ty. If you have at least one parent that is a werewolf, then you have the curse. Which has to be activated for you to turn. To do that: you have to kill. By accident or otherwise, a humans death has to come by your hand," I said.

Tyler let out a breath I didn't realize he had been holding in, raising his hands out in front of us. "I'm different aren't I, Ellie? I've always known it, my anger comes on so strong sometimes. It's always felt like something inside me is trying to escape, El, clawing at my insides," he said, voice cracking.

I held in a choked sob, feeling so badly for him. I had always had a soft spot for wolves, their existence was so excruciating. They had to fight so hard every day, just to survive their curse. That was something I could relate to. I sat up on my knees, leaning toward Tyler with a watery smile.

"Yes Ty, you are different, but that is not always a bad thing. You were born with this curse and can learn how to cope with it. I can help you protect yourself, and you'll never have to become a wolf," I said.

Tyler frowned, his forehead wrinkling. "You don't think I should activate my curse?" he asked.

I tilted my head in confusion, running my eyes over his face. "Do you want to?" I asked.

Tyler ran his fingers through his hair roughly in irritation. "I'm not sure, but I have this feeling of being trapped, like part of me is locked away. Do you think that would stop if I did?" he asked.

I laid my head on my hand, my heart aching for the choice Tyler had to make. "

I think that after your first moon, you might feel the freedom you have been searching for. But, Tyler, it's painful and you'll be dangerous to those you love," I said.

I took Tyler's hand and decided to continue explaining what was to come. After all, if he was going to decide to activate his curse then I wanted him to know that eventually, he would have another option. Nik could give him one after he broke his own curse. Tyler could become a Hybrid, never again being forced to turn. So, I told Tyler about Nik's curse and how he had to break it. I pulled away from him when I explained the Petrova history and why their blood was so important. Tyler stood swiftly, stepping away from me as I revealed Elena's involvement in the ritual.

"Elena has to die in the Hybrids ritual? Have even you told anyone!?" he said, glaring at me.

I stood, pointing my finger at him in anger. "Of course I haven't! What do you think they would do if they found out Nik was coming for her, huh?" I shrugged my shoulders, waving my hands out beside me. "They would try to convince her to run. Then when I explained what Nik would do if he found out she was trying to hide, Elena would stay. She would convince them that they could fight. Useless as that would be. There is no fighting them, Tyler," I said angrily.

Tyler shook his head in denial, pacing in front of me.

"Besides, no one said she has to die permanently," I said, placing a hand on my hip and tilting my head.

Tyler stopped in front of me, his brow arching in confusion. "Permanently?" he said.

I smiled cockily, bobbing my head. "Nik doesn't know this yet, but I have done loads of my own research on his curse through my many lives. I have contacted several witches — alive and dead — and I have found out that Esther put a little safety net in Niks curse. That way if he ever did break it, she could still be sure that he didn't get what he ultimately desired; to create more beings like himself," I said.

"Hybrids," Tyler added, nodding.

I jerkily agreed with him, running my hand down my neck. "Yeah, so the blood he needs to break the curse, also happens to be the blood he needs to create Hybrids."

I twisted my hand, raising my brow in Tyler's direction, waiting for him to bite.

Tyler's eyes widened and he started laughing. "Elena! He needs Elena alive to create Hybrids!" he said.

I tilted my head with a small nod. "Precisely. Unbeknownst to him, he is going to kill the only person he can use to create more Hybrids. Unless I stop him," I said.

Tyler's face was one of pure excitement. "That means you could save your sister and I could still become a Hybrid," he said, turning in a circle hands bunched in fists.

I watched him closely, his reaction surprised me. I stepped closer to him and raised a hand, stopping his procession around the room.

"Is that really what you want, Tyler. To become a werewolf and then a Hybrid? Nik isn't exactly an easy man to be around," I said, a firm warning in my tone.

Tyler looked at me with irritated amusement. "It's not like I'm the one who has to love him?" he said.

I blinked quickly, chuckling. "I don't have to love him. But yeah, despite his many, many flaws. I do. Yet, I will be one of the first to warn you, that he isn't an easy man to like, let alone love," I said.

Tyler looked down at his hands again, squeezing them tightly into fists, his knuckles whitening. "I'm sure about this. I need to be free of this… feeling." He placed a fist on his chest, beating it roughly. "I can't even find myself anymore, Elara. I am losing who I am. If I can just be free, then maybe I won't feel so lost anymore," he said, tears filling his brown eyes.

I swallowed, nodding swiftly. "Ok, Tyler. I will help you activate your curse and when Nik gets here, I'll make sure your one of his first Hybrids," I said, a weak smile on my lips.

Tyler reached out, taking my hand. "And I will be there with you when everyone finds out the truth. You won't be alone, Ellie," he said, pulling me close.

I rested my head on his shoulder. "Thanks, Ty. It's nice having someone else who knows everything about me. It was getting lonely…" I said.

Tyler kissed my head, before pulling away. "I'm here now. We will do this together, and I will help you with your curse too," he said.

I sighed, allowing the corner of my lips to turn up to appease him. I already had all the help I needed, and the idea of having yet another person feeling guilty when nothing ended up working — just made me feel sick. Tyler smiled brightly, moving away from me and heading towards his computer desk. I watched him curiously as he opened a drawer and pulled out a little black lockbox. Taking the key from around his neck, he inserted it into the front, opening the box and lifting the lid. Reaching inside, he took out a small cloudy white moonstone; about the size of a hockey puck. My breath caught in my throat as he let it slide into the palm of his hand, holding it out to me with a smirk.

"Is this the moonstone you were talking about? The one the Hybrid needs for his ritual?" he asked.

I lowered my head, eyes wide as I stared at the milky white gemstone. The power flowing from the small stone was undeniable. I could sense the bound curse that was trapped inside, my skin crawling at the proximity. Tyler watched me eyeing the stone, my expression flickering between amazement and unease.

"Is it?" he asked, pushing the gemstone toward me.

I jerked away, stepping back without truly meaning to. It had just been so long since I had been around Esther Mikaelson's magical signature, and it was enough to make me feel sick. I blinked, snapping myself out it.

"Yes. Yes, it is," I said.

I reached out, allowing him to drop the stone into my hand. The cool smooth gemstone fell into the palm of my hand, the weight making my wrist dip slightly. I wrapped my hand around the magically imbued object, my fingers gripping it tightly. The skin on my hand prickled, and I tried to ignore the magic that was begging to seep its way into my flesh.

"What do we do with it? Mason keeps trying to call me, asking about it," Tyler said.

I pulled the stone closer to me, my hand still holding it tightly.

"There is a reason he wants it, Tyler. Many believe that it holds the curse of the Sun and Moon," I said.

Tyler's brow cocked, and he looked down at my hand; where the stone was hidden in my grasp. I sighed and sat on the edge of Tyler's bed.

"Nik and Elijah created the curse of the Sun and Moon so that they could motivate vampires and werewolves all over the world to search for the two keys to breaking Nik's curse: a human doppelganger from the Petrova bloodline, and the moonstone. The Sun and Moon curse have led many to believe that the moonstone's owner could control how the curse was removed; for example, a werewolf could leave the vampires' curse of the sun in place while removing the werewolves' curse of the moon," I said, looking down at my hands.

Tyler sat beside me and glanced at my cupped hands, the milky stone lying in their depths.

"You think that someone told Mason about the stone and he somehow figured out we have it?" Tyler asked.

I shrugged, my shoulders seeming heavier than normal. "Yeah, I do. Now, we just have to figure out who has his ear," I said.

I lifted my hands to my eye line, concentrating on the stone and the way it felt. I ran my fingers across its smooth surface, focusing on its measurements and color. I needed to be precise if I planned on fooling anyone. Tyler raised a brow, watching me with his head cocked. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath in through my nose and imagined the stone replicating — leaving behind an imprint of my magical signature in the duplicate — so that any witch who knew the moonstone should hold power, would feel it. I wasn't stupid, I knew that if someone with enough knowledge about the stone got their hands on the fake — they wouldn't be fooled — but anyone who only knew it was a magical artifact; would be. I looked down at my hands: where two identical moonstones — minus the magical signature — now lie, and smiled. Tylers shocked brown eyes greeted me when I lifted my head.

"Wow, that is so cool," he said.

I laughed, handing him the fake stone, feeling a part of my magic leave with it. It was odd imbuing something with a part of yourself, it was a feeling I had never gotten used too.

"Give this to Mason, tell him you found it… ya know...wherever your Dad kept important stuff," I said.

Tyler tossed the stone in the air, catching it before he pocketing it. "Deal. What's your plan, partner" he said, a terrible southern accent to his voice.

I widened my eyes and, scrunched up my nose. "No… Just no, Ty." I laughed, pushing him away.

"My plan is: to find out what his plan is, and who he is working with," I said, bumping shoulders with him.

Tyler stood, dragging me with him. "Well then, you need to get the hell outta here so I can get started. I think it would be best if he didn't see you here today," he said, shoving me toward the door.

I fought against him, laughing at his sudden abundance of enthusiasm. "Ok, ok. I'm leaving. Goodness, someone is pumped," I said.

Tyler pulled me out of his room and down the stairs; dragging me toward the front door. "I am ready for this, El. I have been in the dark for so long, that now when I can finally see some light, I am not going to lose it," he said, eyes wide.

I touched his cheek affectionately as I stepped out onto the front porch. "We will have to activate your curse soon, Tyler. The next full moon is coming up fast, and it would be best if you were to change during it. You'll need to be able to control yourself by the time Nik and Elijah get here. They aren't very forgiving," I said.

Tyler's head jerked in some semblance of a nod, and I headed for my car; waving farewell to the soon to be wolf.

I walked through the front door my bag slung over my shoulder — moonstone hidden safely inside — concealed by magic; just in case I came across a certain Bennett family. Heading for the living room, I was surprised to find Elena and Stefan sitting on the loveseat in front of John. Stefan was holding Elena's hand in his lap, watching her closely as she leaned forward, gaze firmly placed on Uncle John.

"We know it was Katherine who tried to break in last night," she said.

I stepped into the room, walking around the couch to stand beside John, arms crossed. "Having family discussions without me again, Elena?" I asked, eyes hard.

Elena jumped, glancing up at me with a wince; squeezing Stefan's hand for support. "We were gonna tell you what we found out, Ellie," she said.

I chuckled, sitting on the armrest. "Sure, you were. Let's just say: from now on — I'd like to be involved in what's going on," I said.

Elena licked her bottom lip, dragging it between her teeth with a jerk of her head.

"Now, what's up?" I asked my head following a path between Stefan, Elena, and John.

John sat back against the couch, crossing his legs. "Katherine tried to break in, but quickly discovered I couldn't be fooled as easily as some others." John shrugged, as a Cheshire smile began to make its way across his lips. "I guess she had tried to break in while Jenna was here, but for some reason, Jenna couldn't be compelled," John said, his eyes rising to zero in on my expressionless face.

I kept my eyes on my fingernails, picking at my tan nail polish. Elena's gasp made me flinch, my head lifting to glance at my sister's angry doe eyes.

"What did you do?" she asked, jaw tight.

Stefan's hand found her shoulder and he rubbed her tense muscles, avoiding my gaze. John chuckled beside me and I glared at him, smacking his arm.

"I did what I had to, Lena. Jenna was left unprotected and I knew eventually someone was going to show up here and try to use Jenna against us. This time it just happened to be Katherine," I stood, hands on my hips. What about next time, huh? I mean, our own mother tried to use our brother to get us to do what she wanted. Our lives are not easy nor safe, and Aunt Jenna deserves a fair shot at protecting herself," I said.

John pointed his finger in Stefan's direction, his expression fierce. "This is why my daughters should have driven a stake through your heart by now. I can't stand the sight of you and your brother with my girls. You, Salvatores, will get them and everyone they love killed," he said, spittle flying.

I ran my hands down my face and over my neck, my chest shaking with unamused laughter. "Oh please, John!" I shouted, looking down at him mirthlessly.

"You are ridiculous. You and I both know that regardless of the Salvatores, neither I nor Elena would have a normal supernatural free life. I am a witch and Elena is a doppelganger for God's sake," I said, leaning close to him to gauge his reaction.

As I had expected, John averted his eyes, avoiding the subject of Elena's status. Of course, he knew, I suspected Isobel had used Nik and his ritual to scare John into trying to help her and Katherine in some way. Elena took in a rattled breath, holding Stefan's wrist tightly as she watched me confront our father.

"What do you know about Katherine?" I asked, bending down in front of him.

John leaned toward me, his green eyes so similar to my own that it made my heart ache. A flash of silver caught my attention as he reached out, taking a strand of my hair and placing it behind my ear. When he pulled away, I focused on his finger — my attention still captured by the flashy heirloom ring he wore. I had seen several similar rings in my time. The Salvatore's for example: had their family crest signets; that had been turned into Daylight rings. This ring though had the Gilbert family crest on it — and I inwardly groaned — remembering exactly where I had seen it before. Emily had listed the Gilbert Rings amongst the many things she had enchanted for Johnathon Gilbert in her Grimoire. These specific rings resurrected any human wearer that had been killed by supernatural means. I had wondered where those pieces of Gilbert family history had gotten off too. At least now I had a little less to worry about when it came to my bio father. John noticed my scrutiny and covered the ring with his other hand, clearing his throat.

"I never spoke to Katherine directly," he said.

I closed my eyes as I stood to my feet; a mournful sigh escaping my parted lips. "You see the world with such hatred, John. It's gonna get you killed someday," I said.

John shook his head, standing to his feet and heading toward the stairs. "And you and Elena are getting wrapped up in a world that can only bring you death and heartbreak." John stopped at the edge of the bottom step, his foot hovering above it. "I'm going to get my stuff and head out. I can't watch what is coming," he said, voice breaking.

I watched his trek up the stairs before turning to Elena and Stefan, my shoulders stiff. "Well, that was a bust. It seems John is not willing to explain what he knows." I shrugged, taking a minute to gather my thoughts. "It's not a big deal, though. We already know everything we need to. Figuring out why she is here is not what's important. We need to deal with her before she hurts anyone else," I said.

Stefan stood, taking Elena with him. "Your right. We will handle this, Elandra," Stefan said.

I lifted my head, John's aura wafting over me as he swept through his room; presumably packing his things.

"Let's hope so, Stefan. Because she is just getting started."

After the long day I had suffered through, all I wanted was a drink. Yet, being stuck at 17 made my options limited. There was really only one place I could go, and I wasn't entirely sure I would be welcome. After I had found out Damon had kissed — who he had thought had been Elena — there wasn't a lot I wanted to say to him, and I was sure he knew that. Even with all that in mind, the idea of a stiff drink won out, and I found myself walking into the Boarding house. I headed for the front room where I knew I would find the elder Salvatore and the alcohol I so desired. Damon stood in front of the bar, pouring himself a glass of Bourbon. He glanced over his shoulder with an uneasy smile.

"You get bored of our siblings?" he asked.

I stepped up behind him, taking the glass from his hand and leaning against the bar. "I got thirsty," I smirked, taking a long swig of the smooth liquor.

I closed my eyes, allowing the burn to push away some of the negative aspects of such a long day. I opened my eyes at the sound of crystal clinking and watched Damon poured himself a glass, before refilling my own. I raised my glass with a thankful wink in his direction. I turned around and faced the bookshelf, staring at their beautiful and vast collection.

"Elandra, about what you heard today…" Damon started.

I turned my eyes toward him and shook my head gently. "No, Damon. You don't have to explain. I get it. I always knew how you felt about Elena," I said, looking down at the amber liquid in my hand.

Damon stepped closer to me, his eyes soft as he sat his glass down on the bar beside him. He reached out and brushed a strand of my hair behind my ear, running his finger down my jawline. "It's not just Elena I care about," he said.

I turned away from him, the crystal glass held tightly in my grasp. "That may be true, Damon… but I want to be someone's first choice, not third," I said.

Damon moved his hand from my face, his jaw clenched as he glanced down at his tightly fisted hands. I ran my tongue across my teeth and sat my glass down next to his, looking up at his tense face.

"You need to figure out what you want, Damon. I'm never going to be the kind of woman that will sit on the sidelines while you fawn over my sister and Katherine. I already had to move on from you a long time ago."

I watched as his eyes darted to mine, a sharp intake of breath leaving his parted lips. I smiled at him, my hand raised. "Yes, I still have feelings for you, and probably always will, but I can't do this with you, Day," I said, running my fingertips over the edge of my glass.

Damon's jaw ticked as he stared into my eyes. He stepped closer to me, his body almost pressed against mine. I kept my gaze on him, refusing to be the first to break. He brought his hand to my face and ran his fingers over my cheek, lovingly caressing my skin. My heart hammered heavily in my chest, and I knew he would be able to hear it. His eyes were deep pools of blue as they ran over my face, memorizing my features. I hated this as much as I loved it. We both knew that it couldn't last. He loved Elena and still had strong feelings for Katherine. Damon and I could never be. I felt a small part of me being tugged in another direction; far away from Damon — and was reminded that he wasn't the only one who had feelings for someone else. The hand that Damon had on my face suddenly stiffened and he slowly started to turn toward the other side of the room, his eyes steely.

"Very brave of you to come here," he said, voice acidic.

I jerked back in confusion and Damon took my elbow, pulling me behind him as he stepped forward. I stumbled, gasping in shock until I heard the familiar voice that had me grinding my teeth in anger.

"I wanted to say goodbye," Katherine said.

I peered around Damon, glaring at the vampiric doppelganger. Katherine sat on the couch, her legs crossed elegantly, fingers running through her curly hair.

"Hello Katerina," I sneered.

Katherine smiled wickedly, sitting forward she waved her fingers in my direction.

"Elandra, but of course I'd find you here with our Damon." Katherine covered her mouth, eyes shining mischievously. "I hope you don't mind me calling him that. I mean, we technically shared him after all. You two never did officially break up," she laughed, winking at me.

Damon growled, his blue eyes growing black as dark veins appeared under his eyes.

"Oops, did I hit a nerve, lover?" she asked.

I gripped Damon's arm, stepping around him with a roll of my eyes. "Oh Katherine, you and I both know I got over what happened back then a very time ago. Now, what are you really here for?" I asked, my fingertips glowing lightly in my annoyance.

Damon took my arm and pulled me away from Katherine, his eyes still dark. Katherine watched his interaction with me, amusement and calculation running through her deep brown eyes.

"What are you doing here, Katherine?" Damon asked, roughly.

Katherine vamp sped towards us and Damon sped in front of me to meet her, a deep growl reverberating through his chest. Kathrine laughed, her brown locks falling over her shoulders.

"What no goodbye kiss?" she giggled, smiling at me over Damon's shoulder.

Damon backed up, pulling me with him as he started to lead me out of the room. Katherine sped in front of him blocking our exit, her smile started to waver.

"You asked why I'm here? Nostalgia, curiosity, et cetera," she said.

Damon kept his body firmly in between mine and Katherines as he smiled. "I'm better at the enigmatic one-liners, Katherine. What are you up to?" Damon asked, his hand pressing against my stomach.

I glared at Katherine as she started to pace in front of Damon, her 'I'm better than you' smile plastered on her face. I wanted to claw her eyes from her face, but I knew Damon needed this. He needed to get answers.

"Trust me, Damon, when I am up to something, you'll know it. Come on. Kiss me. Or kill me. Which will it be, Damon? We both know that you're only capable of one," Katherine goaded.

I felt the bones in my hands ache as my magic flared to life. Damon's shoulders slumped and Katherine smiled evilly, a triumphant and pleased expression on her face. She had come here for one thing: to torture an already tortured man. There was no way I could just stand by and allow her to toy with him. Someone needed to put her in her place — and since I was the only way capable of doing that right now — it would have to be me. I pushed a momentarily shocked and hurt Damon out of my way and stepped toward Katherine. My hands glowed brightly as I allowed them to fill with energy before pulling them toward my chest. I bent my knees and placed my weight on the balls of my feet as I flung my hands forward, sending the powerful energy toward Katherine. The electric burst of my magic hit her square in the chest, propelling her backward, and knocking her against the wall. A loud thud echoed around us, the walls shaking. A few books fell from the shelf beside where she had landed, small thuds against the wood floor. Katherine's hair fell around her in a soft brown halo. Her shocked face sent a burst of joy through my chest and I chuckled, standing up straight and raising my glowing hands out in front of me as she snarled, blackened eyes narrowed in my direction.

"You have no right to come here and toy with Damon after everything you've done," I said, pointing a glowing finger in her direction.

"You were warned, Katherine. You know I don't tolerate people hurting those I care about."

Katherine stood, wiping nonexistent dust from her shoulder. "I can and will do whatever I want to him. He has been, and always be my little toy," she said, smirking at Damon.

I tossed another ball of light in her direction, and she snarled in pain as it hit her in the stomach, leaving a scorch mark on her shirt. Damon placed a hand on my shoulder, stopping another ball of energy from leaving my grasp.

"Tell me something Katherine, I just need the truth, just once," Damon said, standing beside me.

I looked up at him, his blue eyes were sad and full of hope, even after seeing the way Katherine was acting. Katherine stepped closer to us, her hips swaying as she stared Damon down without hesitation.

"I already know your question and its answer. The truth is…I've never loved you. It was always Stefan." Katherine's face was blank as she turned to look at me. "You gave up everything… for nothing…" she said, the final word falling off her tongue.

With one final smirk — for my benefit— she sped away — once again — leaving a distraught Damon behind. I ran my hands over my face and stood in front of Damon, placing my head on his rocking chest. He put his nose in my hair and I started to rub his shoulders, unsure what I could say or do for him.

"I'm so sorry Damon. She is just an awful person, and never deserved you," I said.

I felt Damon shake his head as he stepped away from me, his crystal eyes almost cold as they stared down at me.

"She was right. It was all for nothing. I gave up everything… for nothing," he said, pushing away from me.

I reached out to him, but with a fluttering of my hair, he was gone. I blinked rapidly a few times, my eyes scanning my surroundings with little hope. This had not gone well. I was hoping he would get some sort of freedom from confronting her, but all it seemed to do was make things worse.

Sitting on my vanity stool, I slowly brushed my hair, staring at my reflection. Empty green eyes stared back at me and I looked away, unable to see myself appearing so void of emotion for even a moment longer. I stood, making my way to my bed, braiding my hair as I went. I plugged in my phone beside my bed and made sure the volume was on. I wanted to make sure Caroline was able to get a hold of me if she needed to. She was supposed to come home tomorrow, and I was glad, if not a little concerned. She still had Damon's blood in her system, and that had me on edge. A vampire Caroline… now that would be something. I was sure she wouldn't want immortality. I sat down on my bed and let out an audible sigh, my entire body drooping with exhaustion. As I adjusted the covers on my bed, I heard a loud thud and a scream, my body stiffening at the sheer pain of the sound. I stood, running toward my door and flinging it open.

"Elara! Please, please. Help me, please!" Elena screamed.

I ran down the hall, as I noticed Damon standing outside Elena's room — I stopped momentarily — my heart stuttering in my chest.

What had he done?

Oh, Gods.

Damon looked at me, his blue eyes sad and vacant of emotion. My mind conjured up the image of my reflection only moments before, but I shook it off as I heard Elena's moan of pain. I pushed past Damon who started down our hall, disappearing from view and stepped into her room. Elena sat on the floor in front of her bed, Jeremy in her arms. I fell to my knees, stomach-dropping, as she cradled him to her chest, rocking back and forth. I reached out toward her, my hands shaking. His neck had been broken and I felt a burst of white-hot anger fill me. My body began to glow and I let out a loud agonizing wail of pain. My hands shook as I clamped them closed, rocking as Elena did. I held my fisted hands against my eyes and tried to control my magic. I could feel myself losing it.

Jeremy, my baby brother… gone.

Damon had killed him.

Why?

Elena's voice broke through my internal reverie, and I took in a rattled gasp of breath.

"Ellie, l-look…"

Elena held out Jeremy's limp hand and I saw a silver ring shining on his finger. I let out a gasp of startled, elated breath. The Gilbert ring! He was wearing the Gilbert family ring. He was going to wake up. I sat back, allowing my legs to stretch out in front of me, and scooted next to my sister, my fingers running through Jeremy's hair.

"He will wake up… he is going to be ok," Elena said, tears running down her face.

I nodded, bending down to kiss Jeremy's head.

"I hate him, El."

I narrowed my eyes and turned to Elena, not entirely sure who she was talking about. My head was still foggy from the thought of losing my brother. Elena was looking down at Jeremy's face, rocking him slowly.

"Damon. There is nothing good left in him," she said.

I lifted my knees, placing my head on them with a sigh. "I know you hate him now, Elena. You have every right to," I said.

Elena glared at me and I shook my head. "Don't. Please don't start a fight. I am not going to sit here and say I hate someone I don't."

Elena's mouth fell open and she held Jeremy tightly against her chest. I placed a hand on her shoulder and shook my head.

"Don't get me wrong, I am pissed, and don't know if I can forgive this… but I am hoping he knew Jer would wake up… that he somehow saw the rin-"

"He didn't see the ring, Elara."

I turned away from her and covered my face with my hands. "Still, its no excuse, but I know what happened today, what led to this…" I said, gesturing to her and Jeremy.

Before Elena could further the conversation Jeremy sat up, his eyes wide, gasping for air. I moved toward him, but Elena stopped me, her expression hard. She was still mad at me for having hope that Damon wasn't completely lost to me. To Stefan. I sat back, my heart hurting. Elena took his face in her hands and tried to get him to meet her eyes.

"It's ok. You're ok, shhh," she said, soothingly.

Jeremy turned his head away from her, fighting to get out of her tight grasp, and his eyes found mine.

"Oh God, Ellie! He killed me! Damon killed me!" Jeremy said in shock.

I nodded, a sad but relieved breath leaving me. "Yeah he did, Jer," I said.

Jeremy pulled me into a hug and I smiled, squeezing him tightly.

"I missed you Jer Bear," I whispered in his ear.

Jeremy grumbled, pinching my arm. I winced, pulling away from him and smacking his arm.

"Ow!" I said.

Jeremy, grinned pulling Elena toward him for a hug. Elena smiled, hugging him with a few tears falling from her tired eyes.

"What? Just because I died doesn't mean you can pull out that tired old nickname. You know I hate it," he said, weakly.

I laid my head on Jeremy's shoulder as Elena stood. "I'm gonna call Stefan. He needs to know what Damon did," Elena said.

Jeremy looked up at our sister and nodded. He turned to me, kissing my forehead before he stood, pulling me with him.

"I am going to head to bed. Dying is exhausting," Jeremy said.

I laughed, shaking my head as he led me out of Elena's room. I said my goodbyes to Jeremy and headed for my room. My phone was blinking on my nightstand and I picked it up, finding a new message in my inbox. I tapped on it and felt my skin crawl as I read the obvious challenge from an unknown number.

"Game on."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.9K 972 52
Their love is unconditionally pure... Katrina Salvatore had a secret, one that only her brothers knew. Now that it was revealed to her friends, she f...
97.6K 2.4K 64
After three long years, full of horror and heartbreak, Klaus Mikaelson and Penelope Gilbert-Mikaelson have finally moved from their home in New Orlea...
441K 11.3K 41
Henrik Mikaelson has been reincarnated as Jeremy Gilbert, the younger brother of Elena Gilbert - the latest Petrova Doppelganger whom Klaus is determ...
144K 2.7K 75
𝐂𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐫𝐚 𝐆𝐢𝐥𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐭. Elena and Jeremy's older sister, who went to Europe after graduation and left a small, remote town behind. But wha...