stardust | park seonghwa βœ“

By beazibo

we are made of stardust, that's why we shine and that's why we glow. we are the children of the stars, our lu... More

stardust
00
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
― end; silent thoughts, secret wishes

01

7.1K 335 706
By beazibo

WHEN the first rays of the sun breaks through my curtains, I felt light on air. The yellow-ish glow decorates my bedroom floor, streaking across my white covers. Right away, I could hear the faint chirping of the birds outside and for a second, I thought it would be a good day.

That is, until, with so much laziness and a restrained yawn, I sluggishly fling my hand to find my phone on the bedside table when I notice that I didn't hear the alarm ringing.

Maybe you shouldn't celebrate too soon and I think I've learnt this in the somehow not so easy way.

It wouldn't be a problem if I'd woken up at 7 am on a weekday as I've always been a morning person. Usually I'd take the opportunity to an early start to the day to clear my thoughts and maybe, you know, stretch a bit and listen to calming music before the box of chaos called life throws itself on my face.

But when you wake up before 8 am, on a Sunday, with absolutely no plans ahead further into the day, there really is no point.

But despite that, of course mornings are never really complete without coffee. Just the subtle kick of sugar to start the day, to get you up on your feet. That's why the first place my feet take me is to the roastery they have in town, not too far from the university I'm attending.

Let's just hope no one comments on my clearly oversized hoodie and striped pyjama pants. I mean, come on, even I think 7 am is too early to dress up.

The roastery was always crowded with people, more or less by students with their laptops out and their eyes half opened - probably due to spending their night here having to survive on being nocturnal with just the occasional sips from whatever drink they have in their mugs. The 24 hour place was like a blessing to these students and even though I don't come here as often as some of these people, I could tell this was their comfortable spot - after getting kicked out from the uni libraries of course.

As per usual, the roastery had a very strong scent of coffee beans and heavy cream. It was kind of refreshing, almost, like the kind to suddenly lift the pressure off your shoulders. The air is much warmer than the weather outside and the lights are a faded yellow glow. When I enter, I hear the soft melody of the background song playing through the speakers mixing in tune with the faint whirring of the coffee machines at the front. The perfect atmosphere to sit down and think for a while.

I order my usual, hot cappuccino with floating marshmallows on top and three pieces of chocolate filled croissants, before finding a vacant seat near the front of the shop and look out to the slowly waking city outside of these glass windows.

As I sip the warm mug of caffeine, I scan the rest of the shop with watchful eyes as more and more people start coming in whilst some others head out to enjoy the morning sunshine. One person specifically though, caught my eyes. He enters the roastery with hesitance, his eyes as if searching for a person but he took confident strides to the back of the shop, maybe waiting for someone.

I can't ignore the fact that I've seen him around campus grounds maybe once or twice before, and if he does go to the same uni, what does he take? My mind recalls to the one time I passed by him in the hallways with music student, Kim Hongjoong a week ago. Maybe he took the same? Art and music never shared the same classes, maybe that's why I've never seen him much.

Time passes and I've almost finished what I have on my plate but he still sits there at the back of the roastery with a glass of water to keep him company. He looks out every once in a while, eyes snapping to the door each time a person comes in. But the person he's waiting for doesn't come and he sighs before he returns to his phone again.

Many were staring at him now, why he was alone in a place where usually a lot of people meet and yet he was alone and only have a glass of water - well, 'had' to be exact as he's downed the rest of the liquid. Somewhere deep inside of me feels bad for him. Who was he waiting for and why are they letting him sit there alone?

I guess the boy feels a little embarrassed now, as he slowly slumps down on the chair he was sitting on to make himself look smaller.

I don't think twice when my hand grabs the last of my croissants and my feet take me to the direction of his table.

When I get there, I was greeted by big round chocolate eyes, staring at me in confusion. They almost distract me with the warm embrace they have, but I pull myself out of my trance I was getting myself into before I get reeled in too far.

"I'm sorry I'm late," I say to him, causing more confusion to flow into his expression. "I'm sure you've been waiting for a long time."

My eyes take a sneaky glance around me and find that most people aren't looking at him anymore and are now focusing in their own businesses. I breathe out a sigh of relief and turn to face him again.

"I'm sorry, I just couldn't let you sit here alone with all these people looking at you," I admit honestly and play with the ends of my sleeves.

The boy's eyes grow wide and quickly pats the space in front of him. "Seriously, do you know how long I had to wait for you? Did your cat run away again?" When I hear the playful tone in his voice, I could tell he was playing along and I laugh, pulling out a seat and plonk myself down.

"Actually, I was just over there but didn't see you," I say to him and he gasps, placing a hand over his mouth. "That's - I feel special."

And the two of us burst into a fit of laughter.

"Now tell me," I say once we've calmed down, "who's the brat who bailed on you?" I ask in a hushed tone, "'cause that asshole will get their face beaten."

The boy rolls his eyes. "I was supposed to meet San here but I don't even know where he is right now."

"So is San your..."

"My cousin," he continues, "sometimes a pain in the ass and some other times just downright annoying but we love him anyway."

"Naww poor you."

"I know."

Before silence falls upon us, he breaks into another sentence. "Hey, thanks for saving me from getting any more embarrassed, by the way."

"Nah it's cool," I wave him off, biting into my croissant, "besides, I could use some company. I was here alone too, you know?"

He lets out an inaudible "oh" before outstretching his arm. "I'm Seonghwa, if you're wondering. Park Seonghwa."

"Nice to make an acquaintance, Mr Park Seonghwa, I'm Jeon Hyeshin." I tell him, reaching out for his hand before shaking it and I feel his firm grasp on my hand.

"Pretty name," he comments, a smile ghosting his lips.

"Thanks," I reply, trying to disguise my reddening cheeks by letting my hair cover the sides of my face.

"My parents gave me it when I was born," I continue to say but once I've realised the stupidity that flew out of my mouth, I facepalm inwardly.

However, Seonghwa doesn't say anything and instead chuckles in amusement. "I guess that's a pretty beautiful present they got you for your birthday."

Againt me and my own will, my cheeks burn at his compliment but I mask it with a scowl and one aggressive bite on my croissant. "You're good at this, aren't you?" I wave my croissant as I chew on the bread, watching as a boyish grin makes its way on to his face.

"Only so-so," Seonghwa answers, a small laugh escaping his lips, "I still need to work harder though, my friend Wooyoung is such a pro he takes grandmas out on dates." The sandy-blonde haired boy leans back on his seat with a smug look on his face and his arms crossed across his chest.

I almost drop my croissant.

"Wooyoung as in Jung Wooyoung?" I splutter out of me being baffled, my eyes widening.

"You know him?" we both ask at the same time and we pause.

"How did you -?"

Seonghwa nods to signal me to speak first.

"English literature, back seat, third from the left, hobby is paper plane throwing," I list to him on my fingers. "You?"

"San's best friend, I think?" Seonghwa tells me.

Jung Wooyoung... San..?

"Oh I think I know him," I say, tilting my head to one side as I try to remember the face of the figure always by Jung Wooyoung's side. "Let me guess, the guy with red streaked black hair?"

"He's the man."

I blink. "Wow I'm -" I begin to say, "I must say, the colour choices for his hair are very . . . Creative?"

The boy in front of me chuckles slightly, biting his bottom lip as he rolls his eyes. "Don't even try to be nice, it looks ridiculous," Seonghwa comments, "you should've seen his mum's reaction."

"She flipped?"

"She flipped."

"Hey, but on him, I guess it's not that bad," I tell him, shrugging.

"Well, I guess, but -"

"- it's nice that my name gets around," a voice cuts off my next sentence in a voice a little too smug. Seonghwa and I turn our heads to a brightly smiling boy.

My eyes widen at who it is. It's the familiar red-black haired boy (the colours really seem to suit him now that I see it closer), dressed in casual clothing just like the cousin of his, almost looking up and ready to go and head out if it wasn't for his slightly puffy eyes that are still tinted pink.

Well, guess who just got out of bed, I guess.

"Well, look who decided to show up," Seonghwa comments before reaching out for the nearest thing he could hold - which thankfully is just a stack of napkins - before hurling them at San's face.

"Ey, ey, no violence in public space!" the younger looking boy cries out in protest and lifts his arm to shield his head.

The boy then takes a glance at me before tossing Seonghwa a teasing look. "If I'd known you had a date, hyung, then I would have never come!" he exclaims, before leaning closer to me and saying: "honestly I don't know why you can stand him, he has an oppa kink, you know?"

And the once wide smirk turns into a high pitched shriek when he dodges yet another incoming napkin.

"You really need to start respecting the people older than you," Seonghwa huffs in his seat.

"Grandpa." "Grandpa." Seonghwa's cousin and I mutter at the same time, causing us to erupt into fits of laughter, going in for a high five.

"I like her already," he comments, grinning and showing his dimples on full display.

"I'm San, by the way," San tells me, before proceeding to take my hand off from the top of the table it was resting on to shake it. Which I kind of have to return whether I like it or not, but his grasp on my hand was soft and reassuring.

"Hyeshin," I say, and when an idea pops into my head, I sneakily slip my index finger from the hold and tickle his palm. It results into San almost somersaulting into the air, feeling ticklish at the sudden gesture.

After fixing the fallen over chair that he had somehow knocked over, San recollects himself and shoots the both of us a wide grin (wow this guy really likes to show off his dimples huh?). "Regardless of the stunt you just pulled, I still like you better than this grandpa," he tells me, giving Seonghwa a pat on the back.

The said boy gives his cousin a look of disbelief.

"Top ten anime betrayal?" I quietly say, watching them with an amused expression.

"Please don't hype him up," Seonghwa sighs, dropping his head on the table in disappointment, to which San gives a hearty chuckle at.

So I reach out and pat his shoulder firmly. "Don't worry, I'm not," I say. Before adding "grandpa", of course.

"Congrats, San, you found another one belonging in your species."

"Yeah I'm just gonna pretend I didn't hear that and leave Seonghwa hyung alone and get grandma's seaweed soup all to myself..." San says thoughtfully in a tone to tease his cousin before slowly heading towards the door. "See you around Hyeshin! Bye Seonghwa hyung!"

And he's out the door.

I watch Seonghwa as he packs his things before standing from his seat, slipping his phone into his pocket and dusting off the back of his thighs. "Well, as much as I'd love to stay here, the person I've been waiting for had graced his presence upon us," he tells me, "and I'd hate to miss that seaweed soup, so I gotta go."

"Wow, pulling out a Chungha at me, huh?" I comment as I too, stand up.

Seonghwa grins at me.

"It was nice meeting you, Hyeshin."

"Likewise," I answer, "see you around?"

"Sure!"

With that, Seonghwa gives me one last smile before turning around to walk out of the door.

When he's out of sight, I plonk myself back down, widening my eyes as to what just happened. My hands resting on my forehead and okay, okay, okay, never have I ever been this smooth at conversing with a stranger before.

Usually I was the one who would wait until someone comes and greets me, then I'd start a somewhat 'forced' conversation (unless if they were my friends already, of course). But something in me seemed to click right away and honestly, even though I don't know what it is that we are now, whether we are friends or still acquaintances but I guess, 'see you around' meant we're friends, right?

Leaving the roastery after the sun hangs high in the sky, I walk under the light back towards home. That's when I feel a slightly burning tingle on the left side of my back and I stop in my tracks, backtracking my memories, trying to remember.

Everyone knew what that meant, even kids as young as 3 would know what it means when you feel that. I never mentally prepared for what I would do when this day comes, because to be honest, I never knew that it will ever will and when this slaps me right in the face, I don't know how to act.

Worse, I almost feel my heart drop when I don't even know who it was.

+

gooooddd morning/afternoon/evening/night depending where ever you are! i present to you a pretty long chapter one (which i hope you don't mind), sooo what do you think?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 440 4
- [COMPLETED] he looks up, first at the vast cerulean sky, then at the person standing in the distance waving him over, and hardly believes that this...
1.6K 109 27
This world is made up of elemental kingdoms. After a dreadful war, they separated from each other and became enemies. Now that evil is coming back wi...
12.9K 1.1K 33
SPIN-OFF/SEQUEL FROM 'A PIRATE'S TALE' I've hid from the world, all of my life. My existence is merely a legend. One forgotten by the world, hundre...
12K 544 22
☻ #πŠπˆπƒπ‚πŽπ‘π„ ; seongsang. ❝ it seemed as if opposites really did attract. ❞ yeosang, a teen who loves bright colored things, stuffed animals, b...