Turn The Page

By MySarahGstory

"A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal." -Steve Maraboli Page De La Vega (Sarah Gero... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 (A 30K Reads Special)
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55 (A 50K+ reads Special)
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Epilogue
Author's Letter to the Readers

Chapter 6

2.6K 87 29
By MySarahGstory

TURN THE PAGE CH. 6

"What do you mean she's coming home with you, ate?" April asked, a little sparkle of hope lit in her eyes. "I'm not going to let them take her away from your orphanage. Kung kelangan ko mag-volunteer to keep her in my home for a while, I'll do it. If that's what it takes," June remarked. The ladies stared at her. "Are you sure about this, Juney? I've heard a lot about that kid—" May said, but June interrupted her, "I know what you've heard about her. I've heard so many things about that kid, too. But what people don't realize is that she needs consistency. The reason why she never found a good home is because the moment she runs away o the moment na nagkaka-problema sa kanya, binabalik na sya kaagad sa orphanage. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the families that have attempted to adopt her are bad people, it's just that some are not equipped mentally and physically to handle her," June explained. April looked at her worriedly, "Exactly, ate. Those families have gone through background checks. Chineck yung physical and mental well-being nila, and they've passed to some standard. That's what I'm worried about. Kung sila couldn't handle Page, what more ikaw na you're not at your best when it comes to your mental and emotional health," she said. The ladies nodded in agreement. "That had passed. I'll make it through now," June insisted. "Ate, I'm telling you. Eh kung yung mga sisters sa orphanage, napapagod na mag-deal kay Page minsan eh. Pano ka? Hindi lang basta basta ang pag-aalaga sa kanya. She needs constant attention—" April said when June cut her off, "Exactly. She needs time. Time that I have so much of right now. Sabi mo noon diba nung nagiging busy na si Summer sa mga activities nya, sabi mo I needed to put my time and attention into something to keep me busy para hindi ko maisip yung lungkot. Maybe that's what I have to do now. Page needs someone who has time. I have plenty of that. Page needs love, care, attention and affection? Well guess what, I have plenty of that that I'm dying to give away. Love, care, attention and affection na gustong gusto ko ibigay sa anak ko, but she's gone. So maybe I can give it to her instead," June said. The ladies looked at each other again. Then July took June's hand. "Are you sure about this, Juney?" She asked lovingly but with concern. June looked her in the eyes, "Yes, I'm sure. I want to put Page in my care."

"Sister?" April said the moment she and June arrived at the hospital. She was sitting outside Page's room. "April," sister Coleen said as she stood up. "Ba't ho kayo nandito sa labas?" April asked worriedly. "Kausap ko lang kanina si sister Berlin sa telepono. Ayoko lang parinig kay Page. Ay hello po, Mrs. Torrres," sister Coleen greeted when she saw June standing behind April. "Hello po," June greeted back. "Sister, I brought Mrs. Torres here with me kasi we might have the solution to our problem," April said with a light smile. Sister Coleen looked at April and June, confused. "Anong ibig mo sabihin, April?" She asked. "She wants to volunteer and open up her home for Page habang she can't come home to the orphanage," April explained. Sister Coleen looked at June then at April again. "Does she know what kind of a child Page is?" She asked. "With all due respect sister, I do know what kind of a child Page is—" June said but sister Coleen cut her off, "Yes, but do you know to what extent? Do you know that she's a problematic child? Do you know that she likes to run away? Do you know na noon pa lang she's got so many behavioral issues na walang nagtatagal na pamilya sa kanya? Do you know na sumasagot sagot si Page kapag kinakausap? Na hindi sya marunong mag-po at mag-opo. Na the words that come out of her mouth can be hurtful and rude? Na she doesn't like to be touched or bothered in any way? Na she doesnt like to associate herself with people?" Sister Coleen said, but April stopped her as politely as she could. "Sister, na-explain ko na po sa kanya ang lahat," April informed her. "And she's still willing to keep her for a while? Mrs. Torres, you do know the process might take more than a month to get over with before pwede syang makabalik sa amin? The reason why I'm so strict with this is because you have no experience fostering or adopting. Yung mga facility na mapupuntahan ni Page other than us at least has some experience with troubled children like her. Ganun din ang mga temporary families na mapupuntahan nya. They have at least some experience with foster kids and with adoption,"  sister Coleen explained. June nodded. "I understand your concern, sister. Pero pano po ako mag-kakaron ng experience kung hindi ko po itatry?" June asked, trying not to sound rude. "I understand you as well. I know you have to start somewhere, but handling someone like Page agad agad is like skipping the basic training. She's tough to handle, Mrs. Torres. Ang maganda sayo is to start with a child who you can for sure tolerate. Page is not Summer. She is far from being a perfect child," sister Coleen said. June's chest tightened at the mention of her daughter's name. "My Summer is not perfect. No child is. I've decided to give this a go, sister Coleen. I have committed myself to this already," June said confidently. Sister Coleen looked at June then at April then back at June again. She sighed, "I'll see what I can do."

"Kamusta daw sya, sister? Ano daw po sabi ng, doc? Hanggang kelan daw po sya dito?" April asked. June peeked through the window on the door. Page was sound asleep. She still had on an oxygen tube on her nose. "She might be here for a while which is good while we process yung paperwork for Mrs. Torres. That will buy us time to get every document filled out so that we're good to go," sister Coleen explained while she glanced over at June. "Bakit daw ho?" April asked worriedly. "Well the infection has reached her kidneys. Kagabi nag-convulsion yung bata sa taas ng lagnat. Bababa yung lagnat nya for a little while, then a few hours later bumabalik nanaman. They're going to give her antibiotics through IV. Tapos she's nauseous din daw. She eats pero sinusuka nya. Tuwing bumabalik yung taas ng lagnat nya, sobrang weak nya. Hindi halos mabuka yung mata. Di makausap. The doctors will run more tests to make sure everything else is okay and infection lang ang kelangan i-treat," sister Coleen explained. "Does she ever tell any of you kung may masakit sa kanya?" June asked. "Alam mo ate, napaka-limit naman talaga nyan magkasakit ni Page eh. Ever since nasa care namin sya, she rarely gets sick. Yun nga lang, when she does get sick, hospital agad. Hindi nga kasi nag-sasabi yun tuwing may nararamdaman sya eh. Usually nagko-collapse na lang yang batang yan kung san man sya abutan," April told June which June nodded to. "Is it okay if I go see her?" June asked. "Go ahead, Mrs. Torres," sister Coleen said as she motioned for the door. "Thank you," June nodded at the the women as she entered the door.

"April, is this a good idea?" Sister Coleen finally said when June left to enter Page's room. "Hindi ko man po kayo mabigyan ng for sure na sagot, sister, pero ewan ko po bakit malakas ang kutob ko na this will work out and this might end up in adoption if we give it a chance. I know what kind of a mother ate June is. Napaka-hands on nya kay Summer. Masusubaybayan nya ng maayos si Page. At ang gusto ko sa kanya, she's cool and hip and kaya nya sakyan yung trip ni Summer noon, yet may rules yan na Summer needed to follow. She's a cool mom pero she's firm when needed. Halata naman po sa ugali ni Summer na pinalaki sya ni ate ng maayos. Page needs that. She needs that balance of tightness and looseness in her life. She needs that balance of love and affection and at the same time firmness and discipline. And I believe ate June is perfect when it comes to balancing those. This would be good for her, too. She needs an outlet. She needs to keep herself busy. Noon ko pa lang sinasabi sa kanya na she should consider adoption when Summer was growing old tapos she's becoming more independent. Si ate June kasi she likes to be up and about all the time. She needs to be busy kasi yun na nakasanayan nya sa buhay mommy nya kay Summer. So when Summer was old enough to do things on her own, unti unti na nagki-clear yung schedule ni ate, and she was complaining about it because she doesn't know what to do with her life. So sabi ko bakit di sya mag-adopt? Noon ayaw pa nya kasi yung focus nya was all about Summer. Summer, summer, summer na lang yan palagi. Wala na lang alam kundi Summer. Pero now, maybe that's why she's considering this—" April said when sister Coleen cut her off, "And that is exactly why I'm a bit nervous about this. Ikaw na rin nag-sabi puro sya Summer. Summer sya ng Summer. She's used to dealing with a daughter who is happy and carefree pero iba si Page natin. Natatakot ako na baka ano mangyari when we put those two together. There might be expectations from June na hindi realistic for Page. Ang kinakatakot ko is baka she's looking for a replacement child, a replacement of Summer, and Page is far from that happy-go-lucky child. Page is angry and miserable. Natatakot ako na baka sa unrealistic expectations nya for Page, ma-pressure yung bata, mag-layas nanaman. Every time na nawawala sya satin, feeling ko it might be the time na hindi na natin sya ever mahahanap. Maswerte tayo kasi we always find her. I'm scared na she might have a higher risk of running away in June's care. Ikaw na rin nagsabi noon na she's still mourning the loss of her child, the loss of her family, and I'm worried na baka may epekto yun sa pag-aalaga nya kay Page," sister Coleen aired out. April nodded. "Naiintindihan ko rin naman po yung takot nyo, sister. Pero kahit san man mapunta si Page, she's at a high risk na lumayas ulit. The only difference is, if we let the system choose which facility or home she'll be in, pwede nilang piliin yung malayo sa atin. And we won't have the access we have if we put her with ate June. I can visit her anytime. You guys can come visit her anytime. Malapit lang sya satin. I can always come over to check on her and make sure she's okay," April said. Both she and sister Coleen sighed. "Okay, April. If you think this is a good idea, I'll go for it. I'll talk to the sisters especially kay sister Berlin. I'll let them know. Then we'll figure out a plan. We'll make sure June gets her," sister Coleen said. "Thank you, sister," April said. Then sister Coleen excused herself to make a phone call while April entered Page's room.

June sat quietly next to Page's hospital bed. She stared at her long enough not to notice April coming in from the door. The she took Page's hand and stroked it gently. She was surprised with her warmth. Then she looked up, startled to see April standing by Page's bedside. "Ang init nya, April. I'm going to ask the nurse na mag-dala ng pang-spongebath," June said. Worry was apparent in her eyes. April nodded as June made her way outside the room. A few minutes later, June came in with a basin filled with ice water. She sighed as she made her way next to Page's bed. June caught April smiling a little. "Bakit?" She asked. "I love how nakikita ko nanaman yung demanding mommy na I see when you want something done for your child," April explained. June smiled a little. "Eh kasi naman. No matter how much you pay sa hospital, unless you hire a private nurse, they won't do these extra things for you. I don't blame them, well I shouldn't, kasi busy sila with many other patients. Kaya tayo na lang gagawa," she said as she dipped the towel into the ice-cold water. "Kakatuwa nga eh kasi the moment you held Page, nag-kick in na kaagad yung motherly instincts mo. On the go ka na kaagad just like always," April said. "Like I said, April, if I don't demand, my kid is going to put up with what she's given with. It's my job, as the mother, to demand better things for my child katulad nito. If I just sit here and allow the hospital to take care of Page without the extra little things, they can cure her pero maybe not as quickly as possible. Since busy sila and can't give her a sponge bath, edi ako na lang. Tayo na lang, if tutulongan moko," June said while she took the wet and cold towel and placed it on Page's forehead. April smiled. She noticed a little spark that lit up in June's eyes as she took care of Page. It made her heart wake up a little as she watched June back in "mommy mode".

"Excuse me po, sister. Eto na po yung nirerequest nyong list ng foods na bawal po muna kay Page pati po yung mga allowed po sya ngayon," a nurse said as she handed sister Coleen the list. Sister Coleen's eyebrows met. She doesn't remember ever asking for any list, but she thanked her anyway. Then she looked at the paper in her hand. She glanced over to the room. She had just finished talking to the sisters back at the orphanage, so she went back inside Page's room. She was surprised to see June and April giving Page a sponge bath as they talked. She cleared her throat to get their attention. The ladies immediately looked at her. "Meron ba sa inyo ang nag-request ng listahan ng mga pagkaing pwede at hindi pwedeng kainin ni Page ngayon?" Sister Coleen asked. April glanced over at June who raised her hand. "Ako po, sister. If you don't mind, mag-papadala ako ng pagkain sa driver ko. Something more healthy and better tasting than the food they serve here. Kung okay lang po," June said. She tried to tone down her mommy mode as to not overwhelm the others. "Ay, okay lang naman ho, Mrs. Torres. Sigurado ho ba kayo? Baka ho nakakaabala na kami sa inyo," sister Coleen said. June shook her head. "No, no. Not at all. And if Page is going to be placed in my care, ngayon pa lang sinasabi ko na po sa inyo na she will be given the same treatment as I give as if she was my daughter. Naisipan ko lang din pong mag-padala ng pagkain kasi baka mas ganahan sya kumain. Don't worry, the food I'll give her will be easy on the stomach. I'll make sure it follows that list, and I'll make sure that it follows the doctor's orders," June reassured them. April smiled in approval. "Salamat ho, Mrs. Torres," sister Coleen said sincerely. "Walang ano man ho sister," June replied as she continued to give Page a spongebath.

After half an hour, June sat down by Page's bedside. April and sister Coleen watched as she held on to Page's hand as she checked her phone. April glanced over at sister Coleen and gave her a subtle smile. "Sister, uwi muna ho kaya kayo? I can watch her," June volunteered. "Ay, Mrs. Torres, kelangan po may isang taga orphanage ang mag-babantay dito kasama nya," sister Coleen informed her. "I'll stay here, sister. Mag-pahinga ho muna kayo," April suggested. "Sure ka, April? Kaya ko pa naman eh," sister Coleen said. "I'm sure, sister. Tawagan ko na ho si mang Gerry para sundoin kayo," April said as she excused herself to make a phone call. Within the hour, the driver arrived to pick up sister Coleen. "Ate, hahatid ko lang si sister sa baba. Okay lang ba iwanan muna kita to watch over Page?" April asked. "Oo naman, sige lang," June answered. As sister Coleen and April left the room, Page took a deep breath. Her eyebrows met. June prepared herself. Page frowned while her eyes were still closed. Then she opened them slowly. She was startled to see June. Then she immediately pulled her hand away from her. "Anong ginagawa mo dito?" She asked, confused. "Page, kilala mo ba ako?" June asked. "Kilala kita," Page answered. "Sino ako?" June asked again. "Mrs. Torres," she said with her voice fading. June nodded. "Alam mo ba bakit nandito ka?" June asked calmly. "Infection at lagnat," she said. Her voice faded every time she talked. "Tama. Anong nararamdaman mo?" June asked again. Page looked away. "Asan si sister?" She asked. "Pinauwi ko muna para makapagpahinga. Okay lang ba dito muna din ako?" June asked again. Page's eyebrows met. "Bakit ka andito?" She asked. "Because I volunteered to take care of you," June answered. "Bakit?" Page asked again. "Because I want to," June said. "Gusto mo o may makukuha ka dito kaya gusto mo na lang din," Page asked. June sighed. She tucked Page's hair in her ear which made Page gasp and move her head away as if she was going to be slapped. June's eyebrows met. "Are you okay?" June asked, "sorry, I didn't mean to startle you like that. Hindi kita sasaktan, don't worry," she tried to reassure her. Page continued to frown and look at her suspiciously. "Bakit ka nga nandito? Anong makukuha mo sa pagbantay sakin?" Page asked. June took a deep breath. "Just the satisfaction to see na may tao, which is me, na nag-babantay sayo. Tao na truly cares," June said with a smile. Page continued to frown. "Bakit wala ka sa bahay? Dapat nag-papahinga ka din diba?" Page asked. June was surprised with her thoughtfulness. "Bakit? Kelangan ko ba magpahinga?" June asked. "May sakit ka din," Page answered. Again, June was caught off guard. "Pano mo nasabi?" She asked. "Mata mo nagluluha. Boses mo iba. Mainit ka," Page answered. Then she looked away. "Do I sense your concern, Page?" June asked to test the water. Page looked at her then she looked away again. "Mamaya kasi ako nanaman masisi nila sister. Ako na nga dahilan bakit ka may sakit. Ako pa dahilan bakit di ka makapag-pahinga,"
Page said. "No one's blaming you, Page. May nag-sabi ba sayo na kasalanan mo kung bakit may sakit ako?" June asked. "Wala," Page answered, "wala PA," she added. "No one's going to blame you. I want to be here. Accept that someone wants to be here with you to take care of you," June said. "Hindi ko kelangan ng mag-aalaga sakin. Kaya ko ang sarili ko," Page claimed. "Talaga?" June asked. Page looked away. "Natatandaan mo anong nangyari nung gabing nawalan ka ng malay?" June asked. "Nandun ka. Nag-offer ka ng ilang beses na ibalik ako sa orphanage pero umayaw din ako ng ilang beses," Page answered. "Tapos?" June asked some more. "Tapos nawalan ako ng malay," Page answered again. "Okay. So wala ka ng matandaan pagkatapos nun?" June asked to confirm. Page shook her head. "So hindi mo matandandaan pano ka nakarating dito sa hospital at kung sino ang nagdala sayo?" June added. Page shook her head again. "So can I conclude na kinailangan mo ng tulong ko at ng tulong ng mga police para dalhin ka dito?" June asked. Page glared at her. "Anong punto mo?" Page asked with so much angst in her voice. "My point is: sometimes in life, wala kang choice but to allow people to help you. Na sometimes, it's okay to ask for help. It's okay to reach out to people and admit na you need help. It's okay na matulongan ka ng iba," June explained. "You were sick. You collapsed. You needed my help. And I came to your aid. At isa pang punto ko is that it doesn't hurt to ever show gratitude. Walang mawawala sayo kung magpapasalamat ka, but I'm not going to beg you to thank me. I'm just saying a simple thank you coming from your mouth would have been enough," June said. "So now, I'm going to ask you naman kung ano nararamdaman mo?" June said. Page looked at her again. "Nilalamig," she answered. June had already noticed her shivering the moment they started talking. "So what do you want me to do, Page?" June asked. "Wala," Page said. "Talaga?" June challenged her. "Kasi kung sasabihin mo saking, 'Mrs. Torres, nilalamig po ako, pwede po paki-kuhanan pako ng kumot.' I would've glady asked for one and gave it to you. Then you'd be a lot more comfortable," June said. Page looked away again. "Come on, Page. Practice it. Practice asking for help," June suggested. Page glared at her. She started breathing fast. Then she looked away again. "Alam mo, hindi mo kelangan magtiis sa lamig. Hindi mo kelangan mag-tiis sa any situation you're in when you know you could make it better by asking for help," June explained. "So come on, ask me to get you another blanket so you can feel better," June coached as she walked towards the table to get her some water. June stared at Page who was looking at the bed. "Come on, Page. It's okay. It's okay to ask for help. You can ask me," June said. Page looked at her, her shoulders rose up and fell down as she breathed harder and faster. June stared at her as she waited for her response. Then Page's eyes rolled as she started shaking uncontrollably. "Page," June said as she hurried to her side. Then she pressed the call-button as she held onto Page's hand and shoulder.

"Ate," April said. She placed the plastic bag filled with take-out she bought for her and June down on the table. "Ano nangyari??" April asked as she hurried next to Page. "I don't know. I was just—I was just talking to her," June said in a panic. Then the nurses came in and asked for some room. June closed her eyes as she tried to eliminate the thoughts of Summer dying in her head. "Hold on," she said as she tried to walk towards the bathroom. "Ate," April said. She looked at Page then at June, torn between who she wanted to tend to first. "Ate," April called out to June. She quickly followed her to the bathroom. June threw up right on time as she reached the toilet. "Ate, ano nangyayari sayo?" April asked. June continued throwing up. She shut her eyes as images of Summer's death bombarded her all over again. Then she collapsed on the bathroom floor.

When June woke up, April stood up from her seat. "Ate," she said. "Page," was the first thing that came out of June's mouth. "She's here. She's okay. Ayan oh," April said as she pointed at Page. June turned her head to the side to look at her. Page stared at her from the other hospital bed. "You're awake," June said weakly. Page felt the lump in her throat, so she looked away. There was something in the way June says her name that always makes her want to cry. "Are you okay?" June asked. Page's heart broke to see June so weak and exhausted, but she looked at her and nodded. "Ano na ba nangyari sa inyong dalawa, ate? Iniwan ko lang kayo saglit nagkaganyan na kayo pareho," April said worriedly. "It was my fault—" June said, but Page interrupted her. "Wala syang kasalanan," Page said immediately. "Ate, ikaw din hindi ka rin nag-sasabi eh. You were burning up, too. Hindi ka nag-sabi na mas sumama pala lalo pakiramdam mo? Tapos nastress ka pa ata lalo kanina. Dapat umuwi ka na lang para makapag-pahinga ka eh," April said. June shook her head, "I didn't feel any worse than I did before we left the house," June insisted. April took a deep breath. "Nag-sponge bath ka pa kay Page kanina tapos ikaw naman pala din tong tumataas na ang lagnat," April said. Page looked at the two women. Her eyebrows met at the mention of June taking care of her. Her gesture confused her. She didn't know why she was being nice to her. Then she looked away. "How's Page?" June asked. "Ikaw ang may sakit, ikaw ang kamusta na," Page interrupted again which surprised June and April. The two women looked at each other. "I'm okay, sweetheart. Ikaw?" June asked. June's term of endearment for her shot Page straight in the heart like a stray bullet. Page didn't know where it came from nor did she ever know that it was going to touch her like that. "Okay lang," she said. She tried to hide the fact that she wanted to cry so bad. "Ate nga pala, dumating na si kuya Joel kanina. Hinatid na yung pagkain pero they're running more tests kay Page so hindi ko muna pinakain sa kanya yung dala ni kuya until sabihin ng doctor na okay na," April informed June. Page's eyebrows met again. Then she shook her head. "Bakit ba ang bait bait mo sakin?" She asked straight out. June and April looked at each other. Then June smiled at April, she turned her head to look at Page in the eyes, "Kasi nakakapagod maging masama. At mas nakakapagod yung mag-kunyaring masama kahit mabait naman pala talaga."

The next day, June and April's friends came to visit June at the hospital. April had to shush both of them as Page and June slept soundly in their own beds. After a few minutes, June woke up. She was startled at the sight of them. "Surpriiiiise!" May and July whispered." June laughed quietly. Then she glanced over to the hospital bed next to hers to check on Page. She smiled as she saw her asleep. "Anong ginagawa nyo dito? Uuwi na naman yata ako mamaya eh" June said quietly. "Kinacareer mo na kasi mag-kasakit," July scolded. "Hindi ah," June argued. "Eh kahapon nasa bahay ka pa Juney ah. Nag-kasakit ka kamo dahil nagpa-ulan ka nung nakita mo yung bata. Tapos ngayon, pinuntahan mo lang sa hospital, na-hospital ka na rin. Ano toh? Baka patayin ka nyang batang yan," May scolded quietly. "Stop being so harsh. Hindi kasalanan ng bata na nagkasakit ako. She didn't tell me to get out of my car and get soaked in the rain so I could help her. She didn't tell me to visit her either. In fact, on two of those occasions, she told me to go home. Nung nagpa-ulan ako, she told me to go home 'cause I might get sick. Kahapon naman, nagulat pako na she knew I was sick. She told me na umuwi din and rest. I'm telling you guys, she's just wearing a mask. And I could see right through her," June defended Page as quietly as she can so she won't hear them. "In fact, could you guys do me a favor?" June asked. The two women nodded. "Could you put everything that you brought for me and put it on her side. Pupunta punta kayo dito, wala man lang kayong dinala para sa kanya," June scolded them this time. The women did as they were told and tip-toed their way back towards June. "Malay ba namin na you guys shared a room. You can afford a mala-hotel room style na hospital room for goodness sake. And April didn't say anything," July reasoned. "What? Bakit ako? Obvious naman na nasa same hospital sila ni Page. Don't put the blame on me if you guys didn't consider buying the child anything," April said. "Oh sya, tama na. Ang gugulo nyo. What matters is that when she wakes up, she'll see those and I'm sure it'll make her feel better," June said. Their whole conversation was quiet, but Page heard it all. She pretended to be asleep, but she couldn't help but swallow as June's gesture warmed her heart again.

Almost two hours had gone by, the four women chatted away. Page fell asleep listening to them. Then April's phone rang. "Wait lang mga ate. It's the orphanage," April said as she got up and excused herself. The three women nodded as they watched April leave the room. "Ano na nga pala nangyari dun?" May asked. "Nung una parang di ata convinced yung isa sa mga sister na sakin mapupunta si Page," June informed them. "What? Ang swerte na nga nila na gusto mo sya kupkopin noh. Ang yaman yaman mo," July said. "Well you could tell na tama kami ng orphanage na sinuportahan because they actually care about the kids. They don't just care about the money. Di lang pera tinitingnan nila when trusting a foster or adoptive family. They were concerned na wala akong experienced sa pag-foster at pag-adopt tapos deretsong katulad ni Page kaagad ang mapupunta sakin. Syempre they had concerns pero I think na-explain naman namin ni April why I want to do it and why dapat sakin mapunta si Page" June explained. "So what's the verdict?" July asked. "They'll let us know kung payag yung system sakin mapunta yung bata," June said. Then the three of them sighed. "You think kaya mo talaga?" July asked. "For Page? Kakayanin," June said. Then April returned within a few minutes. "Ate," she called out to June. Page woke up at the sound of her voice. "Good news. The board approved our request. They allowed you to be Page's temporary guardian while they continue the investigation. Page can come home with you," April said. Her eyes disappeared as she smiled. May and July cheered quietly for June. They were genuinely happy but nervous for her. June took a deep breath. She couldn't remember the last time she felt that happy. She smiled at all three of the women. Then they all looked at Page who was wide awake and staring back at all of them. "Sayo ako uuwi?" Page asked as she looked June in the eyes.  Her eyes seemed to soften. June swallowed and took a deep breath, "Yes. Yes, Page. You're coming home with me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

217K 13K 9
Athena wants to be an architect to fulfill her late father's dream, but she secretly loves music and wants to be a composer. At West Town University...
108M 2.3M 100
Now published under Pop Fiction, an imprint of Summit Books. P195, Taglish Part 1 Theirs is a story that started all wrong. Naglayas si Gail sa bahay...
3K 659 139
Park Jimin- a.k.a- Jess/jass Min Yoongi- a.k.a- Red Kim taehyung- a.k.a- Fatima Jeon Jungkook-a.k.a- Luigi Kim Namjoon- a.k.a- Neil Kim Seokjin- a.k...
190K 4K 53
"Here, Under the Stars... What if our paths crossed again?" Four years after her heart got broken, successful music producer and CEO, Magui Feola, we...