This Can't Be Love

Per NaturalGus

Aaron's so-called "love" for Samantha borders an unhealthy obsession that drives him to do whatever it takes... Més

Chapter 1: Be My Guest
Chapter 2: Welcome Home
Chapter 3: What's In The Envelope?
Chapter 4: Playing Dumb
Chapter 5: Who Is That?
Chapter 7: Ignoring Things
Chapter 8: Certain Uncertainty
Chapter 9: Where is Aaron?
Chapter 10: Missing Dinner
Chapter 11: To Clean Up
Chapter 12: Hide or Seek?
Chapter 13: Homecoming
Chapter 14: Missing Samantha
Chapter 15: The Aaron Of His Ways
Chapter 16: Three's A Crowd
Chapter 17: Cliffhanger
Chapter 18: The Calm
Chapter 19: The Storm
Chapter 20: Stalemate
Chapter 21: Wounded
Chapter 22: A Close Call
Chapter 23: Mind Games
Chapter 24: The Self-Destruction of Bethany Lawrence, Part 1
Chapter 25: The Self-Destruction of Bethany Lawrence, Part 2
Chapter 26: Endgame, Part 1
Chapter 27: Endgame, Part 2
Chapter 28: Endgame, Part 3
Chapter 29: Aftermath (Epilogue)

Chapter 6: A Night Is Ruined

11.7K 304 165
Per NaturalGus

The evening has arrived, and the parking lot at The Grand Hotel is packed with cars from all parts of the country. It is still raining as it was last night, and has been all day. Aaron and two other sharply dressed gentlemen are at the door greeting the people that arrive and guiding them toward the hall in which the company event is being held. Aaron seems a bit distracted, glancing over guests shoulders to see behind them as he greets them. He points them in the direction of one of his collegues and resumes his position of looking out into the parking lot. While one of his companions walks a couple of guests down the hall, the other companion can't help but look at Aaron in a questioning manner. He looks down the hall, then back at Aaron, who doesn't seem to notice.

"Umm... Mr. Walsh, sir?"

Aaron doesn't turn to him, but responds while staring out into the parking lot.

"What is it, Harry?"

"I think you really should be inside, speaking to our investors and getting to know the owners of all your other branches. I think Robert's about to start his welcoming speech."

"Not everyone's here yet. Tell him to wait."

"With all due respect, Aaron, I don't think this place can hold that much more people. In fact, the girl at the counter told me almost everyone in our guest list has checked in. All but six people, as of a half hour ago. And now with the three that just arrived, I'd say we're all here."

"I'm sorry, I don't uh... think you understand? ...Me? ...Very well?"

Aaron laughs and looks to the ground before turning his head toward Harry. Aaron smiles at Harry, and Harry smiles back nervously.

"Not everyone is here yet, Harold. Go tell Robert to--"

"Hey guys!"

The gentleman who had gone to accompany the recently arrived guests is shouting to them from down the hall. Aaron drops his sentence, as he and Harry both look at the guy calling their attention.

"Come on, guys. Bobby's starting his speech!"

Aaron and Harry look at each other. Aaron takes a deep breath while licking his lips, then runs his hand down his face while exhaling.

"Alright. I'll be right in."

Aaron heads inside and Harry follows. Aaron puts his hand on Harry's chest and stops walking. Without looking at Harry, he licks his lips and then speaks.

"You stay... If more guests show up, they may need help finding the ball room."

"Alright Aaron."

As Aaron makes his way down the hall, Harry shakes his head and stands guard at the door.

"And suddenly i'm busboy..."

Aaron doesn't hear what Harry just said, he walks away from him and catches up to the one that called him down the hall. They both hastily walk toward the end of the hall.

"Who told him to start?"

"Nobody sir, or more like everybody. They cheered him on until he couldn't just say 'no' any longer."

"Great."

After a couple of turns in this labyrinth-like hotel, they enter through a set of double doors into a bright room full of fancy gold decorations and trim, packed with glamorously dressed men and women, some seated, some standing, but all paying attention to Robert, who stands with the microphone by the stage where the band is set up.

"... and if you would have asked a few years ago if I thought an autobody company would ever become this big, I would have laughed in your face. Never before has the world seen such aggressive growth in this type of business, and it is all thanks to-- oh there he is, ladies and gents! The man who made this all possible, Mr. Aaron Walsh!"

Everyone turns to the back of the room and gives Aaron a round of applause. Those who were seated now stand up for him. Aaron waves at everyone and smiles. He then takes a bow and signals a gesture to give the attention back to Robert. When he gets everyone's eyes off himself, he gets close to his companion's ear to make sure nobody notices what he is saying.

"Where the hell is the girl with the guest list? She should be right in this very spot!"

"Sir, the guest list was almost full, so she..."

"Almost, Paul! Dammit, you know Walsh International does not do 'almost' now go find her and make sure she does her damn job!"

"Right away."

Paul leaves the room now, rolling his eyes at Aaron's uptight behavior. Aaron runs his hand down his face while exhaling and pacing back and forth. He picks up a glass of champagne from one of the caterers that walks by and gulps it down in one shot, then sets down the glass on a table. He continues pacing back and forth for a bit, then Paul walks back in with the receptionist that Aaron asked him to find.

"Here she is, Aaron."

"Hi, Mr. Walsh, my name's Alicia..."

"Nevermind that. Where's the list?"

"What list?"

"The list. THE list, the only list. The list you were given. The guest list. Where is it?"

Alicia points to a small podium against the wall just behind Aaron.

"Right over there. Everyone checked in..."

"Not everyone."

Aaron nervously reaches to the podium and takes a clipboard, licking his lower lip as he looks through the pages. Meanwhile, Robert's speech is coming to an end...

"... is a man of his word. I saw him grow up as my best friend's son. I called him 'kid' for most of his life, but now I am proud to call him 'Boss'! Come on up here Aaron, take the stage!"

Aaron doesn't seem to notice he was just called up by Robert. Paul nudges him, making him look up. Robert reiterates his introduction.

"Ladies and gentleman let's welcome him up here, shall we? Come on."

Another round of applause fills the room. Aaron hands the clipboard to Paul and walks to the front of the room. Robert hands him the microphone and they smile at one another. As Robert walks away, leaving the spotlight to Aaron, the room goes silent waiting to hear what Aaron has to say.

"Thank you, Mr. Schwartz... I hope everyone is enjoying themselves so far... You know, many years ago, I used to ask my dad why he didn't expand the business. He always used to tell me "Son, it's complicated. You'll understand when you're older." Well... I am older now. And guess what? I still don't understand why he never did this. Sure there were difficulties, like when I started the Car Rental branch and almost had to discard the whole project. Who knew the name 'Aaron's Rentals' would be taken, right? But these were learning experiences, and I made a lot of rookie mistakes, i admit, but look at us now."

Aaron gets scattered applause from that last statement.

"We are the country's current leading provider of bodywork. auto repair, vehicle rental, auto insurance, car dealers, and more recently our comprehensive vehicle loan initiative has made it easier than ever for college students to drive their own car... I'd say we're giving car owners quite the boost, won't you agree?"

Laughs are heard with a few claps here and there.

"That's nothing folks, the biggest and boldest move of Walsh International is yet to come... Here, tonight, I am more than happy to announce something that I have been keeping quiet for a while. I've attended private meetings and had plenty of confidential talks about this with external companies, but it is time to let you all know... About six months from now, Walsh International will not only help sell, protect, maintain, and restore vehicles... but we will aslo be manufacturing them."

Shock and awe takes over the entire ball room. Everyone in attendance begins to clap and rise to their feet. Aaron, with a grin on his face, looks around embracing the ovation. The clappinng fades into silence as he bring te microphone toward his face to speak again.

"So tonight being a celebration of our expansion, it's only fitting that I announce..."

At that point, Aaron pauses because he notices the doors in the back of the room opening. In walks Harry; Aaron is not happy to see him. Aaron holds the microphone with his left hand and runs his right hand down his face while exhaling. That's when he sees Harry is actually just holding the door for Samantha.

Samantha walks in wearing a black sleeveless halter top dress with minimal accessories. She has stud earrings and her hair is up in a beautiful blossom of curls. Her silky white skin looks more pale than usual because of the contrast her dress commands. She holds a small purse with both hands as she walks to the guest list podium and talks to Alicia. The diamond necklace that Aaron asked her to wear is not present.

Aaron wants to go talk to her so he wraps up his microphone time.

"... Everyone celebrate! Be merry and let's enjoy this evening!"

He walks off the stage, giving the microphone to Robert who is standing over to the side. Robert attempts to congratulate him with a hug but Aaron walks past it. Aaron makes his way through the room, sidestepping people and dodging tables and waitstaff. He finally gets to Samantha.

"Hey, Sam. You made it."

"Hi, Aaron."

They greet one another with a short cheak to cheak hug. Aaron has not at all noticed the other person beside Samantha, so he does not greet him until Samantha says something.

"Oh Aaron, this is Michael. Do you remember him?"

Aaron blinks everso slowly as his head shifts over to look at Michael. Michael is dressed with a suit similar to Aaron's. His smooth brown hair accented by short black sideburns and closely trimmed goatee. Aaron makes eye contact with the handsome man, and then slowly looks downward.

"Mike... Of course I remem.. uh what's he... What's he doing here?"

"Mom couldn't come so I figured this will be a good time for all of us to catch up on old times. Like our own little mini high school reunion."

"Oh... I just... Didn't he... Mike didn't you leave town, I thought?"

"Yeah, I did. Went to Oregon after high school. Now I'm in Chehalis though. That's where I saw Sammy yesterday trying to steal my cab."

Michael and Samantha laugh together. Aaron stands there with a straight face as his eyes shift from Michael to Samantha and then back to Michael. Aaron licks his lower lip and takes a deep breath.

"Let's... let's just find our seats."

Aaron leads the way as he rubs the bridge of his nose in stress. They get to a round table and take their seats. Aaron sits to the right of Samantha, and to her left sits Michael. To Aaron's right, is Paul and next to Paul is his wife Rachel. To Rachel's right is Harry, and to Harry's right Amy, his girlfriend. Amy's right meets Michael's left, and every seat is filled.

Aaron is looking at the drink in front of him, twirling a napkin between his fingers as everyone else at the table makes conversation with one another. Their voices are distant chatter to him now, except for Samantha's; he hears her very clearly. Her giggles, her chuckles, even the subtle smacking of her lips that takes place before she begins a sentence. He doesn't need to look at her to pay attention, his eyes are locked onto the napkin he is twisting.

"Aaron, you need to kill me."

Aaron snaps out of his trance when he hears Michaels voice say this so nonchalantly. Aaron looks at Michael in vague confusion.

"I'm sorry, I... can you repeat that?"

"I'm saying you need to fill me in, bro! How did your company get so huge, I'm jealous! Haha!"

Aaron licks his lips now and takes a deep breath. He raises his eyebrows and lets a fake smile out before responding.

"Jealous, huh? Haha! Walsh's growth secrets are confidential."

"Ha! That's awesome. You know when Sammy texted me about this event I was like 'Aaron? He's doing it big like that?' but it's even bigger than I..."

Aaron mouths the name 'Sammy' to himself in question. He doesn't like the thought of Michael having a nickname for Samantha. He leans over to Samantha and speaks to her very softly.

"He calls you 'Sammy'?"

"Mm hmm."

"Since when?"

Samantha adjusts her posture and pretends she didn't hear Aaron's last question. She directs her attention to what Michael is saying. Aaron does the same, but follows with an interruption.

"I'm sorry, Mike, did you say she texted you?"

"Yeah. I wanted to get together tonight but wasn't sure where to go, then boom! She replied with this and here we are!"

"Oh... Okay."

Samantha seems uncomfortable. She feels like she is the only one who notices Aaron's unfriendliness toward Michael. She looks around the table and realizes that Aaron's collegues both have dates at the table, so it finally dawns on her that she was invited as Aaron's date. She furrows her brow and looks at Michael, who is enjoying a beer. She then looks at Aaron, who is looking around the table just as she is.

In Aaron's point of view, Harry has a date, Paul has a date, and Michael has a date. Aaron feels like the only odd one out. He pushes his chair back and gets up.

"I'll be right back, fellas."

"Where you going?"

Aaron looks down at Samantha, who is waiting for an answer to her question. He looks back up and into the opposite side of the room.

"Just have to... uh... step outside for a... cigarette. Be right back."

Aaron walks away and leaves what he thinks are three couples at the table. Michael is talking to Paul about music now. Rachel and Amy are discussing their interest in politics. Samantha is bored by both of these topics, so she begins to make small talk with Harry, who also seems bored.

"So... Harold, is it? What do you do at the big dub?"

"Tonight I was bellhop, first of all, but uh..."

Harry and Samantha share a laugh but Harry continues talking.

"... I actually have the most boring job. I'm Aaron's secretary..."

Meanwhile, in the back of the hotel, Aaron stands outside with his back against the wall, facing up at the sky with his eyes closed. It is dark out there, and the pouring rain runs down his face just as it would any inanimate object.

"Why?"

Aaron licks his lips and runs his hand down his face while exhaling, wiping the water off.

"She texted him. They... text each other. They have each other's cell phone numbers, and you... have nothing. You have to talk to her through her mother. You've been there for her, always and forever, but she's never given you her number. He pops up out of nowhere and... he gets a text? Not only... but a date? Why?"

Aaron lowers his head now and shakes his head slowly in disappointment.

"So much for my plans. So much for my future."

"Aaron?"

He is caught off guard by Samantha's voice.

"What are you doing out here?"

"Sam, I'm just..."

"Having a cigarette?"

Samantha walks over to Aaron, completely disregarding the rain.

"Come on, Aaron. I know you don't smoke. What's really going on?"

"I'm just enjoying the rain."

"Well, I call baloney on that, but I respect if you don't want to talk to me about, whatever it is that's bothering you."

"It's you."

"I'm bothering you?"

"No, Sam, you can never bother me. What I am saying is that it's you... Everything... is you. Everything makes me think of you. This cold chill, this rain, the music inside, the drinks, him... it's all you... even this party. It's all just you, to me, and I can't do-- I just... Sam... I... I'm in love with you Sam. I always have been. You are always, always, on my mind... Always..."

"Aaron, you're confused."

"Yes, I am. Because I don't know how to breathe without thinking of you. Now the reality of 'him' hits me and I don't--"

"Him?"

"Mike."

"Aaron, Michael is a friend, as much to me as he is to you. There is nothing between us..."

"So, does that mean you and I ca--"

"No, Aaron. I'm sorry. You are as much a friend to me as he is too. You and I grew up together, we are almost like br--"

"Don't say it... Please."

"Look, let's just go back inside and have a good time. You're soaking wet."

Aaron follows Samantha back inside. They walk down the hallway, clothes dripping rainwater.

"You know what, I'm gonna stop at the ladies room to touch up my make up and get this dress a little dried up."

"Yeah. I should stop at te men's room and do the same."

"Your make up, Aaron? Or your dress?"

They laugh a bit, then part ways at the restroom area. Aaron enters the men's room, and Samantha enter's te ladies room. Samantha walks toward the mirror and is fixing herself up when she hears a bump hit the side wall. She pauses for a second but then shrugs her shoulders and resumes. The ladies room door now swings open and slams agaisnt the wall, with Aaron rushing in. Samantha is shocked and frightened by this.

"Jesus Christ, Aaron what t hell?!"

"Sam! I just saw... You gotta see... Oh my God! This is terrible... Oh God! You have to come see..."

"Calm down Aaron, what is it..."

Samantha follows Aaron out of the ladies room and into the men's room. In one of the bathroom stalls, she sees something that shocks her even more than she already was.

"Oh my God!"

Samantha puts a hand over her mouth and tries to avoid vomiting. She then turns away from it to avoid seeing this sight. Aaron holds her and he has a very concerned look on his face. A tear runs down Aaron's eye now.

"What do we do?"

"The cops, Aaron. Call the cops."

Aaron continues to hold Samantha and is now rubbing her shoulder as he looks on into the bathroom stall. The sight that Samantha is so sickened by is a belt that is tied to one of the ceiling pipes and tightly wrapped around the purple bruised neck of her friend Michael, hanging over the toilet.

---------------

Author's Note**

I am very open to any questions anyone may want answered in future chapters, or anything that you would like me to explain or go into more detail as well. Please don't forget to vote and fan me if you like my work :) Thank You so much for letting me share this with you. -GB

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

Veiled Desire Per Lily

Literatura romàntica

181 3 17
"I love you through thick and thin, slow or fast, deep or not...even death can't do us part." - Calix Jame Clark [UNEDITED]
13.8K 796 41
A couples' good deed turns into something they have a hard time getting out of. A sadistic stranger takes over their lives. It's hard to place a blam...
357 17 13
For a very long time, she had loved this boy named 'Jared'. Jared was very skillful in basketball, he was a member of a basketball team which explain...
Fixated Per Kenzie

Misteri / Suspens

467 10 23
Obsessed- preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent. Raeleigh understands what it's like to be trou...