FLIGHTLESS BIRD // Detroit Be...

By midnightXcross

Detroit: Become Human AU, where it is instead set in a high school. --- He flew past you. That was the best... More

Chapter 1: Falling Swan
Chapter 2: Finding Your Feet
Chapter 3: Secrets and Truths
Chapter 4: The Detective
Chapter 6: Cupid Kara
Chapter 7: Fairy Godmother
Chapter 8: The Party
Chapter 9: Mystery
Chapter 10: Class Rep
Chapter 11: Friends and Strangers
Chapter 12: Dancing Through The Past
Chapter 13: Searching For An Answer
Chapter 14: Trouble
Chapter 15: Cain
Chapter 16: Fallen
Chapter 17: Matched
Chapter 18: Jericho
Chapter 19: Alarm
Chapter 20: Missing
Chapter 21: Conflicting Feelings
Chapter 22: Trapped
Author Note
Chapter 23: Mission
Chapter 24: Doubt
Chapter 25: Reasons To Smile
Chapter 26: Destruction
Chapter 27: Darkness
Chapter 28: Burning Feelings
Chapter 29: Water's Edge
Chapter 30: Pretenses
Chapter 31: Game Of Life
Chapter 32: Reason

Chapter 5: It's A Date

1K 54 19
By midnightXcross

Ever since your confrontation with North, you had been in a daze. Your mind kept wandering back to the time of the past, the times when you were a dancer and someone who stayed in the spotlight. There were so many things you missed about that time, and also so many things you wished you could change.

You continued to wander aimlessly up the hallway. Before you could get too far however, you felt an arm grip yours and spin you around. You blinked dizzily as Kara's blueish green eyes bore into you.

"Aren't you coming to lunch [F/N]?"

"Lunch?" You stood up straighter, realizing that you were standing in the middle of the crowded school hallway. Kara let out a sigh, grabbing your hand and tugging you down the corridor.

"Luther and I missed you yesterday. We waited for you, but you didn't show."

"I'm sorry Kara," You moved faster, so you could walk beside her squeezing her hand in your own. "Some things happened, that's all."

"Things?" Kara blinked, then a grin spread across her face. "Ohhh... you're talking about Connor, aren't you?"

"What, n-no, I--"

"I saw the way you were looking at him in science class. You were so distracted, you didn't even see who I got paired up with." She grimaced slightly, but still kept her cheery grin she always seemed to have.

"Who was it?"

"Well... it was--"

"Kara!! My friend!!"

Kara flinched, and you both wheeled around to see a very excited Ralph racing towards you. His white shirt was stained with what seemed to be spaghetti, and his blonde hair brushed gently against his forehead. You stumbled back a step as he got in between you and pulled Kara's hand from yours.

"Ralph made a great discovery!! Ralph figured out that with the quantic technology science has currently discovered, humans could create an intelligent life force. Look, look, I wrote about it in my book!!" Ralph shoved a textbook into Kara's face, with a grin spread across his face like an excited child.

"That's great Ralph..." Kara shoved the book away and gave you a pointed look. Ralph gripped Kara's hand again and tugged on it.

"Come, come on, I want to show you my discovery!!"

"Ralph, w-we were just about to go to lunch," You interjected. Ralph turned on you, and you winced at the sudden rage shown on his face.

"Who are you?"

"I-I'm [F/N]... new in your class. We met before, remember?"

"Ralph doesn't like strangers, no, strangers may hurt Ralph," He continued to tug on Kara's arm. "Besides, if Kara is hungry, Kara can share Ralph's lunch. Ralph brought spaghetti."

"[F/N], I--" Kara tried to speak, but Ralph tugged on her arm sharply and she let out a hiss. You watched helplessly as he practically dragged Kara down the hallway. Kara gave you a sad look as she was pulled around the corner.

You sighed, crouching down to pick up some of her papers that had fallen onto the ground when she got dragged away. You shoved the pages into your bag, making a mental note to return them to Kara later.

You headed to the cafeteria alone, but after seeing the packed state of it, you couldn't bear the thought of walking inside. You stood in the doorway, gazing at the faces of all the other students. They were so happy; speaking to each other seemingly without a care in the world. You would give anything to be like that.

After those thoughts, your stomach was churning too much to even consider eating. You decided to take a walk outside, to clear your head and calm your troubled thoughts. As you walked around the field outside, you spotted a group of boys running. You stood by the track for a while, breathing in the smell of freshly cut grass. It looked tiring, but none of the boys seemed exhausted in the least. You wondered if they were training for some kind of marathon.

As you watched them, one of the boys that was closest to you stumbled, letting out a groan as he collapsed onto the ground. The others didn't look back as the boy lay on the track. You gasped, running from your place on the grass and crouching towards him.

"Hey, are you alright?" You asked, holding your hand out. He took your hand, wincing slightly as he stood. He smiled, brushing loose strands of his ginger hair off his face.

"I guess I can say that I fell for you..." You laughed as the boy gave you a soft smile.

"Are you seriously okay? That was quite a fall..." You crouched down, noticing a graze on his leg through his now torn trousers. "You should go to the nurses office."

"I'll be fine, really." You glanced up and he smiled at you. "It's not the first time I have tripped, and it certainly won't be the last."

You took in the boy's face, and you realized that you had seen him before. When Kara had given you the tour of the school, she had referred to him as...

"Jerry. You're Jerry, right?"

Jerry blinked at you in surprise, then nodded. "You know my name, but unfortunately I don't know yours."

You smiled, introducing yourself to him. Jerry listened to you politely, and only spoke at the parts that needed words. Jerry was very kind and patient towards you, and you soon realized that even though you had just met him, you could see him being someone you could get along with well.

With the promise that you would see each other again, you returned to your classes. You were not surprised to see Kara there, looking very disgruntled and exhausted after her meeting with Ralph. Kara assured you that she would tell you everything later, once she got some much needed time to relax.

Mr Anderson began a discussion on phrases and questions written in your textbook, yet even as you listened, your mind kept wandering back to the red haired boy that you had met during the break. You couldn't help but smile when you thought of his sincere face and the way he listened to you like every word was something special and important. You found yourself feeling excited to meet Jerry again.

When class was over, you packed your books into your satchel, and moved towards Kara. You pulled out the papers she had dropped earlier, and placed them gently on her desk.

"You dropped these."

"[F/N]..." She groaned, her voice muffled as her face rested on her desk. "What did I do to deserve you?" You smiled, crouching beside her and leaning on her desk.

"Was it really that bad?"

Kara turned her head so she could look at you. "That guy is crazy. It's like he's from an entirely different planet."

"It'll only be for a term..."

"Easy for you to say..." She murmured, forcing herself up from her desk. At the thought of Connor, you glanced around the room. You were surprised when he was no where to be seen.

"Where is Connor anyway?"

At that thought, Kara glanced around too. Simon noticed you both and looked up from his book.

"Mr Anderson made him take some papers to the principal's office. He should be back soon though."

"What, again?" Kara gawped. "Guess that's what happens when you're the teacher's son..." Josh stood up from the desk beside Simon, his textbooks tucked under one arm.

"Are you heading home now [F/N]?" Josh gave you a slightly crooked smile as he leaned against Simon's chair. "We're all going to the arcade. You should come too, it'll be fun!" He grinned around at the others, Simon, Daniel and Rupert. "You're invited too Kara."

"Oh, I can't, I promised to meet Luther and Alice for dinner," Kara smiled, though she seemed a little disappointed. She turned to you, her smile spreading wider. "You're welcome to come with us too, if you want."

Your eyes trailed from Kara's hopeful smile, to Josh's eager grin. You felt your face heat up as nerves fluttered through you. "Sorry, I think I'll have to give both a miss tonight. I need to start working on my science project." Both faces fell, and you felt guilt rise in your chest.

"Well, that's okay, maybe next time." Josh ruffled your hair. You watched as the four boys trailed out of the room, leaving you and Kara alone.

"You just wanted to see Connor, didn't you?"

"No, I really do have homework." You winked at her, and made your way towards the door of the classroom. Kara moved after you, and you could hear the excitement in her voice as she started to talk about where she was meeting Luther and Alice. 

Kara continued to talk eagerly to you, until you had to part ways. Now alone in the corridor, you got distracted by some posters. The posters were of a beautiful swan design, with the logo for 'Swan Lake' written in bold letters. You found yourself gazing at them, unsure of what the longing in your heart was for. Reluctantly, you turned your head away and your eyes caught on someone walking away from you up the hallway. It was the boy with red hair who you had met earlier.

"Jerry!" You called, racing up the hallway towards him. You skidded to a stop as the boy turned and smiled at you.

"Finished classes for the day?" You asked.

"Sure am. I was going to return some books to the library. Do you want to come?"

"I'd love to."

You continued to chat with Jerry as you followed him up the corridor. His steps were so natural and even, as if the fall he had had earlier had never even happened.

"How is your leg feeling?"

"M-My leg?" He blinked at you, then smiled in understanding. "Ah, it's all good now. The nurse patched it up."

"Oh, well that's a relief," You exhaled. "I was worried." You glanced down at his trousers, and noticed how he had a new pair on, one without a torn hole in it.

"Hey I was wondering..." Jerry started, looking a little sheepish. "Well, you see my parents work an the amusement park near the beach. I-I was wondering if you would like to meet me there on the weekend. I can give you discounts on the rides..."

"Really? That sounds great!" Jerry's eyes lightened at your response.

"That's awesome," Jerry replied ecstatically. "Give me your phone number. I'll call you."

As you exchanged contact details, you felt a slight tingling sensation on the back of your neck. It was the odd sensation that you got when you were being watched. However, when you glanced up, the corridor was empty save for you and Jerry. With a shrug, you put the thoughts of a mysterious stranger watching you aside, and focused only on Jerry's smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.6K 377 7
"Hello Father."| |This is a short story focused on a girl who returns home to her father, an artist who has grown too old to support himself. An Andr...
13.1K 394 13
✨COMPLETED✨ RE WRIGHT IN PROSESS❗️ (A/T: Who would have thought a "little" girl would be leading a revolution.) .... I was a wedding gift to a famil...
82K 2.4K 38
❝You must be Hank's daughter.❞ ❝Indeed I am. And you must be that detective I've heard so much about.❞ All Time Highest Rankings (Not date related):...
34.6K 1.4K 20
[Completed] You're Y/N L/N, a great student with average grades at DUAT College. Four years ago? A police officer. But your insecurities got you kic...