Can misfits work together?

By Beyondtheisle

(IzukuxKyoka) Izuku Midoriya is labeled as a bit of a misfit, he's changing high schools and now on his first... More

Chapter 1 New school? Yeah right!
Chapter 2 Together as misfits, stronger as friends!
Chapter 3 These seconds matter!
Chapter 4 Oh right schoolwork, among other things!
Chapter 6 Monday's are the worst!
Chapter 7 That "feeling" problem
Chapter 8 That's why we're friends!

Chapter 5 Awkwardness.

2.3K 38 64
By Beyondtheisle

Izuku had been awake for awhile but put the blankets over his head pretending to still be asleep but he dozed off and he woke up to the sound of a woman singing and something sizzling. He slowly moved the blanket to see and who was up and saw it was Kyoka who kept on singing "She sounds amazing!" He said, though he said it a little too loud as Kyoka stopped singing and froze in place, she slowly turned her head to face Izuku. She started to go a little red "Oh y-you heard? Th-thanks I ahh well-OH CRAP" she said hurrying to a pan she had on one of the stove tops.

Izuku sat up to get a clearer view of what Kyoka was doing, she had a pair of tongs and was moving something in the pan "I saved the bacon! Oh and my parents have gone out this morning, apparently some family on mom's side will be visiting for the weekend, which is tomorrow.. already, and mom and dad wanted to get a few things to prepare, i was going to wake you up soon anyway, I'll get started on the eggs soon" she said as she kept her focus on the pan in front of her. Izuku got up and folded his blankets then put them away "Would you like toast?" He asked "Sure, but you don't have to help if you don't too" Kyoka replied with a wink.

Once they had breakfast and washed up Kyoka went to her room to get dressed for school while Izuku got dressed in the lounge room, as they left and locked the door Kyoka held Izuku's hand as they began walking down the stairs "We should.. get used to this, since well the whole couple thing" she said smiling, Izuku went to reply but someone squealed in excitement and both Kyoka and Izuku knew that the squeal belonged to Mina. They both froze and Izuku felt Kyoka squeeze his hand then quickly let go. Mina was jumping up and down in excitement "Yes yes yes I'm sooo happy for you two it's soooo cuuuuute" she said not taking a breath before hugging them both almost crushing them in a vice like grip "M-Mina we'll tell you the details later, but for.. now you're... crushing us" Kyoka said a little weakly as the 3 heard Fumikage cough to get their attention "Yes... congrats... but we should be on our way since we are a little later than usual" he said awkwardly since he didn't want to interrupt.

Mina wave at Fumikage then took off sprinting yelling back as she turned her head slightly "HE'S RIGHT COME ON, LET'S GET GOING!" The other 3 began following with Izuku catching up then running past Mina, he heard Mina call out "Yeah you go girl! Use those chicken legs!" Kyoka and Fumikage then slowed down a little, laughing, as the 4 made it to the train station they saw the train had just arrived and they quickly hurried on. They sat down in study pairs, Mina giggled as she sent Kyoka a picture, the one she took yesterday. Kyoka went beet red and quickly put her hoodie over her head, but she ended up smiling a little 'So he let me rest on his shoulder? And I put an arm around him too hehe I think I'm lucky' Kyoka thought as she saved the picture to her phone then messaged Mina "Shush"

Once they were nearly the entrance of the school they saw Momo and Ochako out the front waving to the group 'This better not be the start of a Groundhog Day' Izuku thought as the 4 of them waved back, the entered the classroom and the lessons proceeded as normal. The bell went for lunch and once everyone had packed up Mina went over to Kyoka "Do you want us to to give you and Izuku some alone time?" She asked Kyoka quietly "No it's fine, we'll join you guys for-" Kyoka stopped talking and Mina followed her gaze and saw Momo and Ochako standing over Izuku's desk, both girls smiling as Izuku packed up and walked over to Kyoka and Mina with Momo followed behind as Ochako walked over to Fumikage and a few other students.

Momo placed her hands behind her back and smiled "Soo I just told Izuku and well... it's my birthday today and I wanted to invite everyone from class... it's the least I could do to make amends and heal friendships" she said. Mina hugged Momo which caught her by surprise, especially how tight Mina was hugging, Mina then looked up slightly to the taller girl then yelled"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!" making Momo move her head back and everyone else jump. Mina released Momo from the hug and everyone slowly went back to what they were doing "Though, there is something you should know" Mina said causing Kyoka and Izuku to think the same thing 'OH NO MINA DON'T YOU DARE!' Mina then continued "We don't know what to get you, and thanks by the way for inviting us. Me, Fumikage, Kyoka and Izuku will go" she said.

Momo smiled then bought the 3 into a hug "Thank you, and I hope this'll be the start of our new friendship that will be enough of a gift... thank you!" She said, she soon breaking the hug to wipe her eyes. Ochako soon walked over saying everyone else would join, Momo nodded and let happy tears flow. The group of 6 had lunch together, Kyoka and Izuku were thankful Mina didn't bring up certain topics, but Momo hesitated in speaking but brought herself to speak "Izuku.. I umm hope you don't mind me asking, how is your mom going?" She said softly, the same question was on everyone's mind but Kyoka and Izuku knew the answer as everyone stopped eating "She's going good, she'll be out in a few days. And it's ok I don't mind you asking, thanks though" he replied with a smile which made Momo feel better.

Mina decided to brighten up the mood "Y'know I recently saw a thing related to birthdays which I think is pretty cute, so in that south country? Mmm in that planet called Australia there's a apparently a rule when cutting the cake, if the knife touches the bottom of the cake then whoever's birthday it is they have to kiss a person of the opposite sex, which Fumikage or Izuku could get lucky" She said.
A/N: The cake thing is apparently a rule, though me being an Australian it's only been done when the birthday person is in a relationship. Australia is weird I know.

Kyoka spat out her drink while the others remained silent, Mina just giggled "Sorry Kyoka, I only found out about it a few days ago and it's already been your birthday so you'll have to wait!" Kyoka smiled a little but couldn't help but go red as the others didn't know what to do "Sureeee, how is the assignment going though?" Fumikage asked everyone to try and make things less awkward, the others nodded "Good" they all said quietly, Fumikage then squinted "Mina, why did you agree like that? I know how our assignment is going!" He said, Mina poked her tongue out in response. Momo quietly stood up as her phone was ringing "Hey mom" she said as she was walking away from the group speaking for awhile before coming back to the group "Ok it's set! Everyone will meet at my place and we'll have dinner together, play games or something then we'll have cake!" She said, though she quickly glanced at Izuku but no one noticed.

The rest of the day went by seemingly quick for everyone, though before everybody left to go home Momo told them the address and time to arrive. Once the 4 teens had arrived home they decided to spend some time together doing their assignment until it was time to go, it was nearing 5 o'clock when they decided to go get changed for tonight. Izuku wore blue jeans, dark green shirt and dark blue hoodie, Fumikage wore blue jeans swell but with small rips, black shirt and black hoodie, Mina wore black jeans, light pink shirt and dark purple hoodie, Kyoka wore black pants, grey shirt and a black leather jacket and black choker with her and Mina also putting on a little bit of makeup.

The teens estimated the train ride would be 20 minutes with a 10 minute walk leaving them with just enough time to arrive at Momo's place. They were a little sceptical as the house on the address given was a mansion surrounded by huge walls and a massive gate "It's too bright, are we sure this is the place?" Fumikage said being the first to speak "Yes, it's what's the address is, and we're here for a birthday captain emo, so lighten up" Mina responded, noticing a person in the distance walk out one of the front doors. They saw the person walking towards them was Momo, she was wearing a dark blue dress that stopped a little bit past her knees, she also had her hair loose. A woman standing guard emerged from behind the wall and pressed a button on a remote to open the gate. Momo waited for them to enter "Hey guys, how's it going?" She said hugging them each.

The 4 responded that their going good with Mina handing Momo an envelope "I know you pretty much said not to get you anything, but we got a card and put money in it" she said, Momo wrapped Mina in a tight hug "You didn't have to but thanks" Momo said soon breaking from the hug to walk with them inside "A few others will be here soon, so in the mean time enjoy yourselves!" She said gesturing for them to enter a room where a few of their classmates were. A few minutes later the rest of the class arrived, they had been asked by Momo to go into the kitchen and await dinner, some of the girls had purposely made sure that Momo had to sit next to Izuku, since they placed one of Momo's jackets on a chair next to Izuku and told the others, some of the boys kept glaring at Izuku. Momo sat down in between Izuku to her right and Mina on her left, the food being brought out and whatever it was it smelled delicious.

The dish was rice, chicken and small potatoes mixed with a orange coloured sauce, Izuku was eating a little faster than everyone until he suddenly stopped, his face going a bit red his mouth burning. The invisible girl Toru Hagakure sitting opposite him quietly spoke up "Midoriya are you feeling ok?" She asked but she soon realised what was happening, she passed him a basket which contained bread slices "Take one and chew on it, I've heard it helps with the burning sensation" she said, he quickly grabbed a slice and shoved it into his mouth and began chewing and after awhile his mouth wasn't as hot, Kyoka and Momo had stopped eating "Have you eaten curry before Izuku?" Kyoka asked him.

Izuku shook his head "N-no.. I haven't, it smelled amazing.. but I guess I should've slowed down after the first couple of bites" he said nervously laughing a little, some of the boys started to laugh but a stare from Kyoka and Momo told them otherwise. Once they had dinner and dessert Momo decided they'll play some games to past the time, the first being karaoke which Kyoka won and to everyone's surprise Koji Koda was a close second. After a few more different games Momo's parents called out for everyone to gather around the table for a photo and cake.

As they were making their way over, Tsuyu and Itsuka Kendo went behind Izuku and were pushing him a little, they stopped once they got to the table. Kyoka saw this and noticed that Izuku was next to Momo but she didn't want to make things awkward, the cake was soon bought out with Momo's parents taking photos. Momo blew out the candles and cut the cake then her mom spoke up "Well is the green haired boy standing next to you going to have to wait much longer? Isn't there something to follow?" Momo stood up straight realising what her mom meant, Momo turned to Izuku and smiled then she leaned down a little and kissed him on the cheek, both of them blushing with Momo blushing more. Izuku could pretty much feel the glares from some of the boys.

Kyoka frowned and felt jealous and annoyed, a hand then grabbed hers. The hand was Mina's who smiled at her friend, Kyoka grew frustrated but she knew what she was feeling was jealously, cause of how her and Izuku weren't together for that long, seeing another girl get close like that too him and feeling annoyed a little with Izuku, more with Tsuyu and Itsuka and a lot with Momo, whom she felt like confronting. Pieces of cake were being handed out, as Kyoka got her's she walked away but a pair of eyes were following.

Kyoka leaned against a wall looking at the ground when Bakugo's voice sounded "What are doing here by yourself? Aside from thinking of ways to get between birthday girl and broccoli head!" Kyoka looked up a little annoyed "I'm eating cake dumbass, though don't you have friends to annoy?" She replied with a slight eye twitch. Bakugo grinned "Oh I see playing it tough, though I'm curious headphones, what do you see in him? You look pretty annoyed when she kissed him" he said but Kyoka didn't respond. Bakugo moved closer "I'm sure I can help with some things, I mean look at this face" he said with a smirk.

Kyoka smiled at him then inched closer "Yeah.. your right" she said, Bakugo nodded approvingly as Kyoka continued "I do need your help cause your face you see, I need a punching bag and your face would be perfect to hit, so in other words... back off!" She said not raising her voice but the anger could be heard. Bakugo moved his hand and went to touch her cheek but she used a headphone jack and smacked it away "Back off, otherwise your gonna get hurt!" She said, Bakugo rolled his eyes as footsteps approached "Bakugo, if you don't leave her alone you can leave" Momo's voice said catching both of them off guard. Bakugo grunted then walked off. Momo smiled at her "Are you feeling ok?" Momo asked, Kyoka nodded though it was a lie. She then felt an arm around her, Kyoka looked up to see Momo staring ahead something was on her mind.

"You like him don't you?" Momo asked 'Really that blunt huh?' Kyoka thought. From the table, Izuku had seen Bakugo try something and it didn't work and noticed Momo was now with Kyoka and had an arm around her 'Oh no protagonist problems.. oh.. I mean let's go over there, me? Us? Y'know plot progression!' He thought to himself strangely enough, Kyoka still hadn't answered Momo who sighed a little "Look Kyoka, Ochako told me how you reacted when I kissed him on the cheek, my parents knew of that thing Mina spoke about and truth be told Izuku is one of the few guys I would do that to. Because if you like him more than a friend then now is the perfect chance" she said, they then both heard Izuku approach 'Prefect timing' Momo thought. She went to walk away when Kyoka finally spoke "Momo, Izuku I'm sorry!" She said, the other 2 looked confused. Kyoka continued "First Momo, yes.. I do like Izu here, we're actually in a relationship.. we don't wanna tell everyone yet and I'm sorry... cause I got jealous, which is why I reacted the way I did" she said looking down.

Momo hugged her "Well congrats on your relationship and you don't have to be sorry, I shouldn't have done the cake thing, even if my parents would've been disappointed. I'm fairly certain that Tsuyu and Itsuka knew what they were doing so we'll look out for them" she said as she let go "I'll make sure to do some dancing or something so you 2 can be together" she said before walking off leaving Izuku and Kyoka left to just awkwardly stare at each other. Kyoka felt herself getting flustered "That was... yeah" she said quietly, Izuku stepped closer and held one of her hands "I should've stopped myself from being pushed, so it's my fault" he said. Multiple footsteps were approaching, they let go of each other's hands and turned to see Bakugo, Eijiro Kirishima and Hanta Sero.

Bakugo had a smirk on his face "I'm guessing she hasn't told you yet?" He said, the other 2 chuckled "Yeah, you tried something and it didn't work" Izuku replied. Bakugo raised an eyebrow "Oh that was just an act, she said that she wants to left this party, with me, and go to a room" he said chuckling a little, both Kyoka and Izuku stepped forward which Bakugo didn't expect "So it didn't work, oh well, there's far more better girls then you headphones and as for you, you're just stupid and useless" he said with a little bit of anger. Izuku's expression changed "What.. did.. you.. call me?" He said, Bakugo grinned "Stupid and useless" he said then noticing Izuku's eyes change.

Momo was walking closer to the group when she saw Bakugo get knocked back a bit and slid across the ground, Momo saw his hands beginning to glow "Bakugo, you and your friends can leave, if you don't I'll happily find someone to kick you out" she said clearly not changing her decision. Bakugo went to protest but decided to leave it and gestured for Kirishima and Sero to follow him. Kyoka and Momo lead Izuku away from everything "I'm sorry... I" Izuku said with a sigh slumping his shoulders "You don't have to be sorry, I think Bakugo was getting on everyone's nerves" Momo said.

They stopped walking and once they were away from everything Izuku leaned against a wall then sit down with Kyoka and Momo on both sides. Kyoka held his right hand "What actually happened Izu?" She asked, Izuku took a deep breath "It was from childhood, I was always called stupid and useless was said along with it, plus the comment he made about you I kinda thought that was enough... maybe it is right y'know" he said slumping his head down, Kyoka moved in front of him "Izuku look at me please" She said softly, Izuku slowly lifted his head as Kyoka smiled at him "You are many things, but useless isn't one of them, on your first day of a new high you made friends and made progress on an assignment.. you even got a girlfriend soon after, your mom is in hospital and yet YOU still haven't given up! That is not useless, that's brave and courageous and well, you're not alone in this!" She said as she gave him a tight hug.

Izuku could feel tears but he didn't care about that "I'll give you two some time" Momo said as she stood up. Kyoka and Izuku remained hugging for awhile before deciding they should go back. As they were walking back Kyoka spoke up "Hey Izu"
"Yes Kyoka, I love you" he replied with a grin making her blush.
"I well.. ahhh t-thanks, I love you too, but I meant what I said from before you're not alone in this" She said smiling back. Once they got back to the main room where everyone else was Mina ran over and hugged them "Don't make me worry like that, but Momo explained just to me and Fumikage" she said.

They all chatted and played some more games for a few hours before Momo decided she should wrap things up so her parents can go to sleep, though the time was 11:15 pm. Everyone said goodbye though Izuku's group was the last to leave, Momo hugged each of them and thanked them. She hugged Kyoka last with a massive hug lifting her off the ground then placing her back down still hugging her "You're a kind hearted person and a lucky one at that since y'know your dating him, and also thank you, thank you for giving Ochako and I a second chance even after all the trouble we caused, I'm sure our new friendship will be a good one. Now go home and get some rest, I'll see you and the others on Monday" she said releasing Kyoka from the hug before waving and going inside.

Though once the 4 teens got to the train station they soon realised they miscalculated the time as they had just missed the train "I'll message my mom and explain why we'll be late" Kyoka said sitting down on a nearby seat. They had to wait 10 minutes for another train to arrive and by the time they got to the apartment complex it was well past midnight. Izuku and Kyoka hugged Mina and Fumikage saying goodnight then walking up the stairs. Izuku was about to knock on the door before Kyoka grabbed him and put her arms around his neck. She smiled at him "Well Izu, I guess we could start being more open about us. Though I think I'll tell my parents soon.. maybe Monday" she said.

Izuku smiled back and said "Yeah that seems good, it's good to ha-mph" Kyoka had quickly moved in to kiss him, the door then opened... and Kyoka's mom spoke "Your father is asleep so I won't get too excited, but oh my goodness my baby girl is in love!" Kyoka's eyes shot open, she took a step back from Izuku and looked away from both him and her mom, her face going really red but she had a small smile on her face. Izuku looked awkwardly at her mom who spoke again "You are two lovebirds going to stand there all night? Come on inside, but at least you two aren't sleeping together" she said raising a finger. It was now Izuku's turn to go really red "M-MOM! D-don't.. no how could you.. uggghhh, Alright goodnight the both of you" Kyoka said being the first to head on inside.

Kyoka almost made it to her room when her mom spoke again "No goodnight kiss for Izuku?" She asked her daughter, Kyoka stopped in her tracks then turned and walked to Izuku "G-goodnight Izu" she said then gave him a quick kiss before heading to her room "I'm sure you've made my daughter very happy, goodnight Izuku" Kyoka's mom said before heading to her room, leaving Izuku to stand there by himself "That's... yeah sleep sounds good" he said to himself going over to the couch to get his makeshift bed ready. Kyoka then walked out of her room and hugged him "Sorry that my mom is the embarrassing type, plus you didn't say goodnight ya meanie" she said pouting, Izuku then looked at her "Goodnight Kyoka, sweet dreams and all that" he said before pulling her in for a kiss.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.3K 1K 15
[COMPLETED] It has been nearly three years since you graduated from UA High. Now engaged and working as a successful Pro Hero, you couldn't have aske...
138K 2.3K 39
It's a normal day for Izuku as he completes his normal routine and goes to school, along the way he runs into Yui Kodai, a quiet and Mysterious girl...
3.3K 86 10
In a world full of quirks Izuku Midoriya is part of the 2 percent that don't have quirks, after being constantly bullied by his childhood " friend" M...
860K 35.1K 130
Izuku Midoriya had always been interested in Quirks. He loved studying them and discussing them with his father. It was due to this interest in Quirk...