A Shadow's Kiss ~ A Pitch Bla...

By SapphireEyes2000

We've all heard the tales of our childhood heros. Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Toothfairy, Mr. Sandman, and J... More

A/N
Chapter 1 ~ From the Ashes, I Will Rise Again
Chapter 2 ~ Summer Nights
Chapter 3 ~ Fearless
Chapter 4 ~ Dark Protector
Chapter 5 ~ Meeting in the Middle
Chapter 6 ~ Babysitting With Frost
Chapter 7 ~ Halloween Haunts
Chapter 8 ~ The Worst Nightmare Is Reality
Chapter 9 ~ There Was Once A General...
Chapter 11 ~ Secret Admirer
Chapter 12 ~ Yuletide Boogeyman
Chapter 13 ~ Parisian Lights & Birthday Flights
Chapter 14 ~ Disastrous Dance
Chapter 15 ~ Enchanted Evening
Chapter 16 ~ Snuggles & Sneaking Out
Chapter 17 ~ Chilly Confession
Chapter 18 ~ Behind Painted Walls
Chapter 19 ~ Bitter Revelations
Chapter 20 ~ Nothing Left to Fear
Chapter 21 ~ The Anniversary
Chapter 22 ~ Standoff
Chapter 23 ~ Tragedy in a Small Town
Chapter 24 ~ Familial Bonds
Chapter 25 ~ Getting the Hang of Guardianship
Chapter 26 ~ Mesmerized By Magic
Chapter 27 ~ Twilight Betrothal
Chapter 28 ~ Uniting Light and Dark
Chapter 29 ~ Unexpected Addition
Chapter 30 ~ Awakening

Chapter 10 ~ Sinful Serenity

1.7K 58 0
By SapphireEyes2000

Sunlight filtering in through my sheer curtain awoke me the following morning after my discussion with Pitch. Thankfully, I had a free period during the first hour every day of the school week, meaning I could sleep in an hour later than some of the other kids. After the long night I had experienced the evening before, I needed the extra time to snooze. Remembering the story that Pitch had recounted for me in the early hours of the dawn, I forced myself to sit up in bed and look around my room for the Nightmare King. He was still sitting on his favorite perch, my window seat, though his head was tilted back and his eyes closed. Do Guardians sleep? I pondered, staring at his relaxed form. Even in his unconscious state, Pitch Black seemed guarded and uncomfortable. His arms were crossed over his chest, and his eyebrows were knitted together as if he was seeing or hearing something unpleasant. It was rather amusing actually. He had the same moody face he often made even in my presence.

As I shifted in bed to get a closer look at him, my mattress springs squeaked and Pitch jolted awake. "What are you staring at?" He yawned, calming down once he realized it was only me making the noise. I blushed, shaking my head as I got up and walked over to my closet. "You." I replied simply. I wasn't going to lie to Pitch. "Whatever for, my dear?" "Cause you were snoring..." I joked, winking at him. The Boogeyman scoffed, "I do not snore!" Laughing at his adamant reply, I gathered the articles of my outfit for the day.

Some time later, I was dressed and doing my makeup. I had shooed Pitch out of the room while I changed, letting him back in once my sweater and jeans were on. He was quiet while I did my face, almost contemplative. I gave him silence, waiting for an explanation that never came.

School was as boring as ever, and I spent a majority of it reading the novel I had brought with me to my classes. I counted down the agonizingly dull minutes until I heard the obnoxious bell ring as a sign of my release for the day.

When I got home that evening, the sun was beginning to set on the horizon. The clouds drifted through the darkening sky, glowing fluorescent pink and lavender against the golden rays peeking through them. It was beautiful. As I approached my front door, I saw a tall shadow disappear behind one of our oak trees. Stepping off the porch to investigate, I strode over to the plant, peering around the bark. "Hello, Anara." Pitch's words ghosted over my ear, causing me to jump. Spinning on my heel, I nearly ran into the lean man and the massive black shape at his side.

I tilted my head back to look up, realizing this form was that of a large ebony horse made of sparkling nightmare sand. It's eyes glowed like molten gold. Instead of a flowing mane of hair, this creature had thick, sharp-looking spines trailing from the back of its neck and between its shoulders. Long tendrils of sand whipped in the breeze behind it. Short horns on either side of her mouth curved upwards and toward her neck. The horse was beautiful in a sinister sort of way. "This is Onyx, my steed. She's been my companion and confidant for quite a while now." Pitch explained, stroking his long fingers down the horse's neck. Onyx winnied and nuzzled Pitch's hand, her huge nostrils flaring. "She is amazing, Pitch..." I told him, still in awe as I stared at the animal. Pitch reached for me with the hand he was not using to pet Onyx.

Curiously, I allowed him to take my left hand within his and gently pull me closer. The Nightmare King held my hand in front of Onyx's snout, letting her sniff me to assure her that I was a friend. I felt icy air tickle my fingers as the Nightmare inhaled my scent, snorting when she deemed me acceptable. Pitch moved my hand once again, this time resting it on her massive shoulder, the sand crumbling and regenerating under our fingertips. His palm covered the entirety of my hand as we felt the horse breathing shallowly. "What do you think of her?" The Nightmare King asked, his accented voice calm and hopeful. "I think she is stunning. It's clear that she trusts you." I replied in a hushed tone. "Would you like to ride her?" My friend offered, moving to rub the narrow part of Onyx's nose. Taken aback, I turned to look at Pitch over my shoulder. "Seriously?" He nodded in response. My mom was not going to be home until late again tonight, so a short ride wouldn't hurt. "Okay...Yes. I'd like that a lot." I answered, feeling excitement tumbling in my stomach.

A pair of cold hands rested on my waist; one pushing lightly on my side to turn me around. I came face to face with Pitch, noticing a playfully wicked gleam in his eyes. His grip on my body tightened; my lips parted in a small gasp as my feet lifted from the ground. A second later I was sitting on Onyx's back with my legs dangling off her right flank. Pitch hauled himself up behind me, his torso pressing against my side. It dawned on me that we had rarely been this close to one another; the thought making me flush but I was not going to complain. "Alright, my dear. You may want to hold onto something." Pitch told me, his arms reaching around me to grasp a set of reigns made from more nightmare sand. Not seeing anything else to grasp, I curled my fingers into Pitch's robes. He laughed lightly from above me, clearly amused by my choice in objects to hold onto. "Let's go." He commanded Onyx, causing the Nightmare to rear back on her hind legs, her front two hooves kicking powerfully in the air. "Woah girl, gentle now. We don't want to scare Anara," Pitch told the horse.

Onyx seemed to listen to her master, easing herself down to the ground and beginning a short trot across the front yard. "Can people see us?" I asked Pitch, realizing that the sight of me floating through the air could frighten my neighbors since they could not see Onyx. "No. There is a bit of a gray area, when it comes to being a Guardian or spirit such as myself. No human adult will see you so long as Onyx and I are here with you. My power has grown stronger as of late, and my abilities have expanded. I am now able to conceal you if I wish." He explained. "How did you find that out?" I inquired, wondering if he had tried testing the idea out before today. "I am the Nightmare King. Right now you are cloaked in shadow, my dear." As he said it, I noticed what appeared to be an extremely thin veil of darkness surrounding Pitch and I. My surroundings seemed just a tad darker than usual, even with the dim light of the evening sun, making it seem as if a translucent bubble had been formed around the three of us. We could go anywhere and be virtually unseen by the naked eye. It was a thrilling concept. Nodding to show Pitch I understood, I rested my head against his chest and allowed myself to get used to the jostling of my body as Onyx galloped out of my yard and across the quiet street.

She leaped upward, flying through the air and landing atop one of my neighbor's roofs. Onyx sped over the shingles, bounding from one house to the other, making her way out of the suburbs and toward a vast area of land not far from my house. It was a small forest with tall pine trees covering the ground, just enough empty space to stand out in the crowded little town. Pitch controlled Onyx with ease, reeling in her wild tendencies whenever he thought she was being too careless. Her sharp hooves made soft clicking sounds as they made contact with each building. I watched in amazement as we climbed higher and higher into the sky, Onyx jumping nimbly from the small houses up onto the nearby apartments and stores.

As the sun set on my sleepy town, I could see the full shimmer of the stars above me as they twinkled brightly, feeling as though I could touch them if I wanted to. Most of the people below us were already home, finishing dinner with their families and readying themselves for the evening. Some older children and teenagers remained on the streets, enjoying the crisp breeze and sipping warm drinks like cider and pumpkin spiced coffees. The smell travelled on wind, the sweet aromas filtering into my nose and lungs. I tilted my head to look up at Pitch, and the Nightmare King simply smiled down at me when he noticed my staring.

A fair distance away, I noticed a large golden cloud of sand floating into the air. A vast number of golden strands lit up the sky, shooting in every direction, twisting and spinning through the inky blackness above. When I returned my gaze to Pitch I could see his expression had shifted. He seemed perturbed by the sight before us. He must have been able to sense my confusion, because he answered the question I had yet to voice. "Sandy..." He said, unease present in his voice. Pitch's sudden tension now made sense. He wanted distance between himself and the being that was perhaps his greatest enemy. His eyes remained on Sandy's cloud, which I realized must actually be dream sand, and steered Onyx in the other direction. "Watch this, darling..." He murmured, tugging on Onyx's reigns.

The Nightmare leapt from the roof of an office building, running straight toward a darkened portion of a nearby brick wall, taking Pitch and I with her. I tightened my grip on Pitch, my nails digging deeply into the fabric. I braced myself for the impact, certain we would be crushed by the force of hitting the concrete. Instead, my eyes widened as the three of us flew through the shadow, plunged into the dark for mere moments.

When we emerged, we were in the forest I had seen when we had started our journey. Onyx slowed down to a trot, her sandy skin glittering under the light of the moon. Loosening my hold on my friend, I sat up a bit more and glanced around. I had never been in these woods, especially in the dark of the night. The wind rustled through the trees, causing what remained of the colorful leaves to fall to the ground, combining with the sharp pine nettles littering the forest floor. There seemed to be a dirt path on the ground, worn from years of hikers exploring the area, though there was no one here at this hour. It wound through the trees, zig-zagging between the plants. Tiny glowing lights flitted through the air, appearing and dimming in various locations surrounding us. Fireflies...I noted. Every now and then a pair of eyes reflected from beneath the shrubbery and bushes, clearly belonging to creatures like raccoons and rodents. The flowers that had not died in the early autumn frost were still holding onto life; pale purple catmint, bright red winterberries, and stark white lily of the valley seemed to stand out the most.

This place was stunning, and my mouth was hanging open as I took in the scenery. "Isn't it breathtaking?" Pitch asked softly. "There can be beauty in darkness, if one takes the time to embrace it." He continued on. "That's true..." I agreed, glancing back up at him and thinking that this man's statement was very accurate. After all, he was a living example of such an idea. "Close your eyes...listen. What do you hear?" The Nightmare King whispered, his calm voice nearly enough to lull me into sleep. I did as Pitch suggested, closing my eyes and allowing my senses to wander.

The sounds of the town were far behind us. I could no longer hear the noise of cars speeding down the roads and people laughing in the streets. The roaring of heaters and electric generators were non-existent. In their places, the beating of owl wings and short screeches of bats rang into the silence. Foxes chattered from inside their dens, sounding as if they were silencing their young. Crickets chirped from their hiding places on fallen logs. Nature's chorus was in full swing, a melody in the twilight hours. "I hear...everything..." I admitted, humming contentedly. "It sounds like a song." I added. "Yes," Pitch concurred, "I come here, when I am not with you or wrecking havoc on the nearby children. This forest reminds me of all the greatness Emily achieved. I feel close to her here." He explained. This place must be very special for Pitch... I mused. "Why did you bring me here?" I queried. Pitch sighed, "I found myself thinking of it after our conversation yesterday evening. I figured you may like to see it." He responded thoughtfully. I leaned back against him, returning my attention to the view around us.

Not long later, Onyx came to a stop in front of a moderate sized hole in the earth; the chasm only a couple feet in circumference. I peered over the edge, overwhelmed by how deep the tunnel seemed to go, stretching into nothing but gloom under the ground. Pitch slung his legs off the Nightmare, landing gracefully on the forest floor. He turned to me then, his hands hovering at my waist once more, a silent offer to help me down. Accepting his help, I placed my hands on his narrow shoulders and scooted forward, letting gravity do most of the work. Pitch's fingers gripped my sides, holding most of my weight so that I didn't fall off the horse as I landed on my feet lightly. "The trip down is not fun that way, believe me. We'll take the shortcut." Pitch said, not yet removing his hands from my waist. "Where are we going?" I questioned him. "My lair, I have one other thing to show you tonight." He answered, looking into my eyes. A second later I felt the ground below me give way, and for the second time that evening I felt myself sinking through the jet black shadows.

Moments later, Pitch and I were standing in what I could only describe as a huge cavern; filled with giant lead cages hanging from the stone ceiling and a number of bridges and staircases connecting the multiple levels of the cave. The floor felt strange, almost...lopsided and off-balance. The rock was eroding and jagged in some areas, and smooth and pristine in others. Despite its overall gloomy appearance, there was no denying that Pitch's home was strangely beautiful. I could imagine how impressive the place must've looked a few hundred years ago, when it retained its full glory.

Once I got my bearings, I attempted to release my hold on Pitch, feeling just a tad embarrassed for practically clinging to him the entire time we've been together. Regardless, the Nightmare King caught my left hand with his right as I let go of his shoulders. Again, he gave me a reassuring smile while he tugged on my fingers, encouraging me to follow him. I smiled back at my friend and began to walk with him up the nearest flight of stairs.

The cavern was full of darkness and shadows, as you would expect with the Guardian of Fear, but there was a dim golden light coming from above that illuminated the entire place. "What was this place? Where are we, exactly?" I asked the Boogeyman. "Well, dear Anara, we are currently located in Venice." He began slowly. "Italy?" My eyes widened in surprise. Pitch took us halfway around the world. He nodded in affirmation, "Yes. This used to be my palace. Unfortunately, most of my home lies in ruin." There was a solemn note in Pitch's voice, but it disappeared as he continued on with his story. It amazed me that this castle was under the sea, but its magic allowed it to remain dry. The only clue to where we were located was the smell of the draft filtering in through one of the larger tunnels. This wind spread the scent of a salty sea breeze, fresh but briny, and it lapped at my face every few moments. Pitch described that the massive cages hanging around us was actually a prison - the confinements holding many captives through the ages, from the Fearlings to the Santoff Caussen children, and most recently, the Tooth Fairies.

As the Nightmare King spoke, the cages seemed to gleam eerily in the muted light. I shuffled closer to him, listening intently as he continued to tell me about his home while he reflected on its years of grandeur before the palace sunk to the ocean floor.

Together, Pitch and I travelled down cobbled paths and passages, further into obscurity. Our footsteps and voices echoed through the chambers, reverberating around the walls. We explored the musty tunnels and climbed winding walkways, small shadows of bats gliding overhead here and there. Onyx appeared on a platform some ways away, her hooves tapping the earth as she pranced over to a few other Nightmares. I wondered if there were any other creatures creeping in the depths below or flying high above us.

Pitch led me up yet another flight of stairs while he spoke. "I know it is not as wondrous as it once was, but this is my home, my sanctuary." He murmured. I stretched my neck to peer over the ledge as I continued to walk with the Boogeyman, going slightly cross-eyed and feeling my stomach recoil when I saw how high up we were, standing on crumbling marble that threatened to fall into the endless chasm below. "Careful my dear, I do not believe you would want to fall from this height. Then I would be lonely once more." My friend warned me, though he chuckled in jest at the last part. Trying to remain calm, I returned to Pitch's side, our arms brushing as we went on our way. "Thanks for the advice." I rolled my eyes teasingly. The corner of Pitch's mouth curved up in a small smile. "What do you think of this place?" The spirit asked, maintaining his hold on my hand. "It is...different. But in a good way. I only wish I could've seen it in its former glory." I admitted, twisting my head around to keep surveying the lair. Pitch Black nodded once, "I wish for that too. I believe you would have liked it. When I was Kozmotis, I would host grand parties here with dancing and laughter, in the ballroom. People would come from other realms and planets just to partake in the merriment. I often forget what that was like. That part of the palace is...destroyed...now." He sounded wistful now.

It was nice to see Pitch letting loose like this, telling stories about his past, and exchanging banter with me. Hearing him speak so plainly made him seem more human. He was not the callous, unfeeling spector that he had been made out to be. Jamie and the Guardians were wrong about him. A sharp pang of pity stabbed through my heart, but I quickly straightened up, not wanting to ruin his brightened mood.

At the top of these stairs, the two of us came upon a large globe, colored black and gold and made from some other sort of metal material. Little dots were sprinkled all over the surface of the model, glowing yellow. "This globe represents the Earth, and those lights are the children who believe in the Guardians. There is one in the North Pole just like it, that serves the same purpose." Pitch gestured to the tiny illuminated circles that caught my attention. "I did notice something strange about these lights some time ago, or should I say, I noticed the peculiarity of a single light some time ago. The morning before we made our deal, in fact." His last sentence sent an odd chill up my spine, even though there was no malicious intent behind the statement. "What did you see?" I quirked an eyebrow at him. Pitch stepped around the replica, scratching his chin as he examined the rough surface.

When his eyes landed on his target, the Nightmare King pointed a long finger at one of the dots on the globe. I moved towards him, seeing a bunch of the lights gathered together. However, one light stood out from the others, shining like a white pearl amongst the sea of gold. "What...does that one represent?" I wondered aloud, voice betraying my puzzlement. The Boogeyman shook his head, stepping away from the metal Earth. "You." He whispered. My eyes widened and I turned to look at Pitch incredulously. "Me? Why? What does the white color mean?" In my haste to understand, I baraged the Nightmare King with questions. Pitch seemed amused. "I'm not sure. I have never seen a white light the entire time I have been Pitch Black. And Manny has not gifted me an answer. I only know that the light is you. Your's is brighter than the rest, and every evening it seems to intensify. I do not understand it." Pitch confessed, offering me his only knowledge of the concept. I stared at him skeptically for a brief moment, wondering if he was keeping information from me. But when I saw my own confusion reflected in his eyes, I let that idea go, realizing that whatever this light represented was directly tied to me. Only I would have the key to unlocking this information. I just hoped we found out sooner than later.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 120 14
"It wasn't my choice to be like pitch. People were afraid of me. Thinking I was the grim reaper." What if one day jack sees glowing eyes everywhere...
640 42 11
"My fellow guardians, it's is our job to watch over the children of the world and keep them safe. To bring them wonder, hope, and dreams. So I have c...
14.7K 219 26
THIS IS BASED OFF OF MY ONESHOTS I MADE WITHIN MY "CARTOONS X READER ONESHOTS" BOOK!!! I HOPE YOU LIKE IT! 💜 From the Man in the Moon, he grants bei...
73.8K 1.8K 11
Before Jack Frost and even before the 4 Legendary Guardians & Pitch, there was the first guardian made my Manny; her name, Angela. She fought the boo...