Chapter 11 ~ Secret Admirer

The night I spent exploring Pitch's lair gave me a lot to think about, but it was certainly one of my more interesting evenings with the infamous being. That evening had allowed me to see a different side to the Nightmare King, the gentle side that stayed hidden under beds when his monstrous side came out to play. I could still feel the warmth of his palm holding mine as he and I journeyed through the seemingly never ending layers of the ruins. The ghost of his touch lingered on my waist and I could still smell the earthy, spicy scent of his robe on my sweater. For the following two weeks, any time the Boogeyman came near or spoke in that lulling voice, I felt my cheeks heat in embarrassment.

Thankfully, Jade knew just how to get in my head about the whole situation. With the two of us being so busy as of late, preparing for midterms and applying for college, neither one of us had seen each other much since speaking with Mr. Winborne. Because of this, I had yet to tell her much about Pitch, though I knew whatever I told her had to be handled delicately. She would think I was crazy if I told her that the Guardians and the Boogeyman were real.

Mid-afternoon on Saturday, my best friend barged into my room, a wide smile splitting her features. "Guess who's got a date tonight!" Jade boasted proudly. I laughed, pushing my book away from me. Pitch had yet to arrive today, so it was nice to have company. "Did my mom let you in?" I chuckled. "Of course! I don't break into every building, ya know," She rolled her eyes, plopping herself on my carpet. I shook my head, scooting off my bed to sit on the floor with her. "Who's the lucky guy?" I prodded her. Jade bit her lip, fluttering her eyelashes dreamily. "It's Eric from the coffee shop down the street. The hot guy with the snake bites and green eyes." I raised my eyebrows at her. I knew which guy she was talking about, though it surprised me she had agreed to go on a date with him. Eric always stared at her whenever we went in, ogling at her like a lost puppy and being a total romantic, but Jade never seemed to pay him much attention. "He's really cute, girly. Good for you!" I congratulated my bestie.

A wicked grin formed on Jade's face. "What about you, Anara? You've kinda gone incognito on me lately. You got a special someone I don't know about?" She nudged me playfully with her arm." Before I had a chance to speak, she seemed to get an idea. "Holy crap! Is it Mr. Tall, Dark, and Gorgeous from my Halloween Party?" She pressed. "Was I that obvious?" I wondered, turning a deep shade of scarlet. I had fought so hard to resist the idea, told myself that such a feeling was preposterous. But lately, the more time I spend with Pitch and getting to know him, the harder it is to deny it. I had developed feelings for the Nightmare King. Feelings I doubted he could return. He looked at me like a child, which I supposed was what I was to him. Still, a flicker of hope hummed in my chest whenever I caught him staring at me, or felt him brush my fingers while we watched a movie or while walking through the town together. "Oh it totally is!!!" Jade giggled, laughing so hard she had to lay on her back to catch her breath. "Fine, you got me. Yes, I like Pitch. But he doesn't know, and I'm keeping it that way. I'm not ruining another relationship by falling in love with someone who clearly doesn't feel the same. We're just really close friends," I retorted adamantly. Jade sat up on her elbows, gazing at me in disbelief. "Okay, I don't even know the guy and I can already tell he isn't like Jason. This guy is clearly older and much more mature than that moron. Plus, I saw the way he was looking at you that night. Even with those wicked contacts in, it was obvious he cares for you. I don't think I saw his eyes ever leave you, especially when you were singing. He seemed completely smitten with you." Jade argued, clearly convinced of Pitch's feelings toward me.

I truly wanted to believe it, to be as sure as my best friend, but if there was one thing I knew about Pitch Black, it was that he was the most multifaceted individual I had ever known. It was hard to read him a lot of the time, but he seemed more genuine lately than he had been when we first met. I trusted him, yet I didn't know if that was entirely good or bad, or perhaps a bit of both. "Do you like him? Or do you love him?" Wait...do I love Pitch? Holy Man in the Moon...I think I do... My mind was spinning with uncertainty. However, my emotions were decisive, and as I pictured the Nightmare King's devious smirk and stunning metallic eyes, I knew what I felt for him was deeper than a crush. I loved him. Was I going to admit that to Jade? Definitely not. "I have no idea." I fibbed, Jade rolling her eyes again as she saw right through the lie. "Don't fight it, Anara. If you love him, I think it's awesome. You've seemed happier this year, and feistier too! I'm ecstatic to see you like this, even if it's only because you fell for a guy who knows how to treat you right. Trust your gut." She advised wisely.