Ice Age: The Meltdown

By xStarrySquidx

Life for the herd has been good. They live within a valley thats been surrounded in a wall, almost like a bow... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Authors Note
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
~Third Book Out~

Chapter 6

1.9K 37 2
By xStarrySquidx

The group soon reached a large frozen lake, which had many chunks of ice floating about and many ice formations scattered around.

To Hazels surprise, Diego was the one who was lingering behind everyone, watching him take his steps carefully, like if he made a wrong turn, the ice below him would just give way.

"Diego, there are whole continents moving faster than you, lets go!" Manny called out to the male saber, "We got to catch up with the others!"
Concerned, Hazel slinked her way back towards the male saber and paced beside him carefully. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." He replied hesitantly. looking around him cautiously.

"You can't fool anyone with an attitude like that." Hazel remarked. "The water clearly seems to bother you,"

Diego just eyed her warily, thinking over an answer, but before he could answer, the possums ran pass them which made them both jump.
They were laughing maniacally as they jumped and skidded all across the ice formations.

"Hey!" He called out to them, "Knock it off!"

One of them, she believed to be Eddie, slid and stopped beside Ellie's leg (who I guess waited for them??) grabbing his brothers tail before he went further away to drag him back.

"Oh cry me a river blubber-tooth tiger," Crash groaned as his brother slowly began walking away, joining him as he added, "have some fun!"

"Can't you see this ice is thin enough without you two wearing it down?" Diego comments loudly, with a slight tremble in voice but went unnoticed by them.

"Hey," Hazel playfully hit his side, making him glare at her. "Ellie could've gone sliding with them, that be a reason to really worry."

"Yeah, Hazels right," Sid turned back with a wave of the hand, "like, the ice may be thin buts it strong enough to hold a ten-ton mammoth and a nine-ton possum." He gestures to their figures walking ahead.

"Is ten-ton your new way of saying fat?" Hazel raises a brow, trying to hold back chuckles, "surly his mentioned that he only has poofy hair,"

Sid slides back towards them, "Yeah but," he leans closer towards her, "between you and me, he is."

"I see," Hazel nodded as he pulled himself back from her and went to catch up with the others, she quickly gave Diego a reassuring smile before she joined them.

What happened next, no one expected it.

One minute, Hazel walked beside Manny as she watched the possums play, the next they were greeted by a huge green Pliosar bursting out of the ice, separating the group as the ice shattered around them.

The female saber skidded across the ice, completely off guard by what just happened. She quickly got up and ran towards the mammoth quickly, both trying to find the creature that'd came out of no where.

Before they found it, they both heard and saw ice shatter beside them. They turn to see a purple crocodile climbing out, looking like it was hungry for blood. When it hissed loudly, they both panicked and began running off in the opposite direction as the creature went back under the ice and swam after them.

They both continue to ran beside one another, fearing if they stop they would become food for an anger crocodile. They keep looking back every so often and see that it was still swimming after them.

Hazel barely caught glimpse of Ellie and the possums running away towards safety and Diego just clutching on the piece of ice he was on whilst Sid desperatelytried to move him

She wanted to help them out, but she was already on hot trail for the other creature that swam behind them.
She was brought back to reality when she felt herself been lifted off the ground as Manny leapt over the edge towards the other patch of ice before he placed her back down on the ground.

Hazel only let out shaky breaths, unable to speak as she was still trying to process the entire situation. Her only concern was the safety of the others, including the mammoth beside her who looked around cautiously.

Before either one could speak or continue they both jumped back as the crocodile bursted out of the ice in front of them and made eye contact with Hazel who froze in fear, unable to hear her name been called out.

It quickly slinked it's way towards her to take a bite but she was quickly pushed aside by Manny, making her tumble across the ice and into the water, making her swam up as she gasped for air and clutched her claws onto the ice, trying to get out.

The creature then went after Manny, taking about three swipes as the mammoth tried to dodge, only to also end up on the same edge.
Due to his much larger built, the side the crocodile was on was beginning to rise, whilst their side began to sink. Hazel found herself nearly entirely submerged into the water.

The crocodile just stared the two, and soon made his way towards them like a spider as it hissed loudly. Hazel immediately turned away with her eyes shut as it jumped at them.

Nothing came after that, which confused her slightly.
Hesitantly, she slowly opened her eyes, and gasped as she froze at what she saw before her.

The crocodile was caught between Manny's tusks, who seemed just as surprised as she did, leaving it dangerously dangling above him.
The mammoth looked back briefly before turning back at the creature in anger. He walked towards the center, balancing the ice patch so their side wasn't sinking.

With all his strength, he swung the crocodile as far as he could. The reptile ended up hitting the ice patch not far off and slid back under the water.

Hazel just breathed heavily, still unable to comprehend the entire ordeal that's just happened and unaware she was still in the water until she was pulled out by Manny, making her retract her claws.

She was soon back on the ice and saw the creatures just glare at them before swimming back down into the water.

When she noticed Manny walking towards Sid and Diego, she ran after him, looking at the bite the green creature taken of the ice, making her shiver at how huge it was.

"What in the animal kingdom was that?!" Sid asked the question everyone had in mind.

"I don't know but," Diego panted, "from now on, land safe, water, not safe."

He soon quickly walked away towards the grass, and the other three shortly soon followed suit to Ellie and the possums.

"That, was the bravest thing, I've ever seen," Ellie comments to Manny, who only shrugged as he grew flustered.

"It was nothing really, I uhh-"

"Oh it's not a compliment!" Ellie quickly remarks, "to a possum, bravery is just dumb."

"Yeah, we're spineless,"

"l~lily livered."

"What a low blow," Hazel weakly muttered to no one in particular, still shaken from earlier, looking over at Diego who just exchanged looks, and they chuckled lowly.

"Maybe mammoths are going extinct because they put themselves in danger too often," Ellie suggests before turning to the herd and told Manny with a straight face, "-maybe you should run away more,"

The male mammoth just stood there, completely dumbfounded before he finally spoke, "Good point..." He nodded slowly, trying to pull a smile, "thanks for the advice!"

"Happy to help!" She yelled back, not catching any hint of sarcasm from the other mammoth as she made her way into the trees.

As soon as she was out of ears length,

"Can you believe her?!" Manny questioned the herd in disbelief, quickly mimicking her voice, "Bravery is just dumb, maybe.. you should run away more!!"

"She's infuriating, stubborn and narrow-minded!!" He glared at the said-mammoth who had already left their view. Hazel looked over to Sid who held a smug as he leaned onto the angry mammoth;

"Ooh~" He teases at him, "yooou~ like her!"

Manny just glared at the sloth. "I do not!" He denied loudly as he began walking away.

"Oh don't worry, your secret is safe with me!" Sid grinned, before turning to Diego. "Oh, and so is yours."

He immediately looked back at him in confusion and irritation. "What secret?"

"You know," Sid began with a smile, "the one where you can't swim?"

"That's, ridiculous," Diego scoffed as he stepped on a rock to avoid a small puddle.

"Fine, but we're living in a melting world buddy," Sid shrugged as he walked across the water, kicking it in the air to prove his point. "-your gotta have to face your fear sooner- or, laater~" He cooed before he dashed away towards the others.

Hazel just walked over towards the male saber who watched the retreating figure of the sloth in annoyance. "Do you not know how to swim either?"

"Either?" He turned towards her with a raised brow, not getting what she mean't.

"I don't know either, but the water isn't that scary," She replies bluntly, walking into the small puddle. "I get what happened back there was horrifying, and the flood that's approaching, but we're okay now, and that's what important right?"

She quickly shot him a reassuring smile before racing after the others.
Diego just watched her figure disappearing, thinking over her words. Sure they were safe, but that's only for now. What if the flood got to them before they all knew it.

Groaning loudly, he shook the thoughts out of his head and quickly ran to catch up to the others.
————
Oops, sorry for late chapter, if there are any mistakes, please comment, I'm not that smart~

Sorry if this seems really rushed, didn't exactly know what to write for some situations~ ^^'

I hope you enjoyed this chapter nonetheless, bye!! 💖

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.2K 143 11
The Mane Six and Spike are off on another adventure into the Multiverse, but they're not going at it alone. This time, they'll be accompanied by Spik...
4.5K 55 8
3 years later after The Herd survived the Ice Age. They lived a peaceful life with the animals in the warm environment. Eleanor on the other hand, is...
6K 98 13
In this story, you were more like Manny's sister. You were a Gigantopithecus like Gutt, but you had more of that blue than grey fur. The grey-ish blu...
24.9K 419 10
With Peaches engaged, Diego now mated and Manny and Ellie celebrating their anniversary, it seems everyone in the herd has somebody to love. Everyone...