Highlander's Claim to Love

By vickyterris

Iain Domnail of Cobalt Isle is the fifth son of a Scottish Laird. He has no claim to a title nor lands. He fi... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five

Chapter Three

5 0 0
By vickyterris

Lyall was determined to have her way. She would not marry nor Iain nor any other Highlander of Robert the Bruce. They had ruined the beauty of her home burning villages and destroying people's lives. What they saw as a precious peace was their thirst for rule.

She twisted and turned the whole night and in the morning her eyes even though tired from restlessness exuded a wild determined power similar to a falcon ready to attack its prey. As she was walking down the corridors, the passerby sidetracked and seemed like scared animals. She was stopped only by Lady Elspeth.

"Good morning my dear! How was your sleep? You seem a little bit tired and... angry? Wasn't the announcement yesterday to your liking?" Lady Elspeth said with an ironic and squeaky voice that drew an even angrier look out of Lyall.

"I trust that you, lady Elspeth, are pleased with your nuptial announcement. Malcom Brenan the red head barbarian will make an excellent companion to your adventurous spirit and I wish you all the happiness in the world!" Lyall knew about the flirtatious reputation of Lady Elspeth and she thought her words would have stopped her from continuing that morning's charade.

But alas!

"I would have been more pleased with the choice of Iain Domnail. I heard the "Thunder of Cobalt Isle" makes women scream with pleasure in his bed. You are one lucky woman my lady! I really envy you." Lady Elspeth said with a malicious smile, bowed and left in a hurry her yellow silk dress rustling in the corridor. Lyall was left as still as a statue.

She started bringing in her mind last night's dance. She could remember the muscular arms underneath his white shirt. She had almost felt a scar on his right shoulder. His body smelt lavender and pine and exuded warmth and strength. If his ferocious reputation wouldn't have preceded him, Lyall might have found him worthy of her attention.

She snapped out of her daydreaming by a voice that has started to sound familiar.

"Lady Lyall, it is such a joy to see me future bride in the morning. I trust you slept well," Iain said and looked at her straight in the eyes.

"Thank you for requiring of my health, Iain Domnail."

"Would you like me to escort you at the morning table? Lady Elspeth had her breakfast already and your mother is in the room as well."

Lyall could find no excuse and she agreed with a simple nod. Iain walked by her side and entered the room together. All the signs of last night's festivities had disappeared. Ladies and knights were having breakfast while the king was eating slowly observing everyone in the room. When he saw Iain and Lyall, he nodded. Lyall understood that they were to have breakfast at the royal table.

Iain placed her first and then he sat next to her. Lady Elaine was not to be found and Lyall seemed like a fish out of a pond but the King put her at ease.

"Your mother lady Lyall had already had her breakfast. She was to go for a walk in the gardens for her digestion as she claimed... You seem to be late out of bed. Is this how it was customary in the royal court in London?"

The last comment raised a slow laughter around the table but Lyall was quick to her answer.

"No, your Grace. In London, as in every royal court there is an early rise. However, it is not expected for young ladies who have been announced suddenly of their nuptials to have a light sleep and be amongst the first to join the breakfast table."

And with that Lyall sat down and started meddling with the bawl of pottage in front of her.

"You will have quite a handful with such a brazen tongued lady, Iain," the King said.

Lyall felt her white cheeks turned to a vivacious red but to her surprise Iain defended her to the King.

"I considered meself a blessed man, your Grace. I believe you could not have made a better choice for me wife. An astute woman is better than someone who obeys blindly." Iain rose and raised his glass.

"To Lady Lyall Falconer, me future bride and the loveliest lassie in the Scottish Kindom!"

He had a quick sip of his wine and everybody followed his example including Robert the Bruce.

"Well, I am sure ye feel blessed. I just hope yer beautiful bride realizes what a fine man ye 're Iain," the King said and turned his head to continue his conversation with a man on the other direction.

Lyall felt uncomfortable. She had been nothing but insulting to Iain and yet he had defended her and in a fine way. She looked at the Highlander and with calmness and composure fit for an angel she nodded at him and turned back at her bowl.

The breakfast time passed slowly. Lyall did not want to challenge any other comment. She preferred to stay aloof and plan a way to escape the situation. Iain did not give her one look. Oblivious in her thinking he was concentrated on his food.

Lyall stood up suddenly and asked for permission to leave to find her mother.

Iain looked at her and with no warning he grabbed her elbow:

"I will accompany ye me lady"

Robert the Bruce nodded and watched them carefully as they left through the big wooden door that led to the garden.

"It was not necessary to do that. I am perfectly able to defend myself." Lyall spoke first.

Iain had a long look at her.

"I understand me lady. To be honest I knew ye would. But nevertheless I could not stop me protecting me own."

***

They walked to the garden labyrinth in silence. As they passed through the narrow green corridors the flowers' sweet smell filled the atmosphere and Iain thought what a contrast that made with the smell of blood in the battlefields. He had seen so many men, good men, decapitated or losing an arm and a leg, that there were times he thought that that smell mixed with urine of fear, and horses manure would follow him for the rest of his life wherever he went.

Finding himself in the sweet scent of civilization accompanied by a fine young lady felt more like a hidden glimpse of paradise to the Highlander warrior. Lyall with her black mane, tall figure and tight features from anger and despair seemed an unlikely choice for his short taste of peace. However, as Iain took a look closer to her, he instinctively knew that that woman possessed more than what met the eye. Discovering a way to be his would be a different challenge to what he had faced up till then.

They found Lady Elaine sitting in a bench crying. Lyall run to her immediately.

"Mother, oh Mother! And you looked so untouched by all this yesterday..." The young woman fell on her mother's embrace forgetting all the pain and the stress she had been through. She forgot even the presence of Iain for a minute.

Iain felt uncomfortable watching a scene that appeared private and very sentimental, but the voice of Lady Elaine brought him back to his regular self.

"Me apologies Sir Iain. Certain circumstances may bring a strong blow and bend for a moment even a noblewoman."

Lyall was startled at her words but Iain smiled.

"I assure ye me lady. Even the strongest of warriors have his human moments." He bowed and turned looking at both of them.

"Me ladies I have been to war with our King for seven years now. In the beginning, it was only because I had nay title and nay fortune. Being the fifth son of a Scottish laird I was doomed to nothing. Next to our King, I found me purpose. I found how I could claim more in life.

Lady Lyall, you may hate me now. And there is naeone to blame ye. I was responsible for burning half of yer estate. I am nae proud of what I have done. This is war. It had to be done. That is all I know.

When we spoke words yesterday, I saw a fine young lady with spirit. I expect nay love and nay understanding from ye. Lady Elaine ye have me word I will cause her nay harm. But ye need to know this, lady Lyall. Your lot and mine was for us to be united. And I will personally see to that."

Lyall straightened her body like an arrow ready to jaunt but her mother placed her hand softly at her shoulder.

"Sir Iain, indeed yer words are comforting, as I know me daughter will be in the hands of a man who hesitates at nothing and King Robert trusts. Such a man will honor his word. That is what me brain tells me. Me heart leaves all I have left of me kin..."

"Oh, mother, I am still here. I am not to be married before the next full moon. Who knows what may happen till then." Lyall said spontaneously.

Iain tightened on his spot.

"Lady Lyall, I hope I did not just hear a death wish for yer future husband. I have survived many battles. And I am sure if God had saved me so far, He will save me for our weddin'.... Well, ladies, I will leave ye to enjoy this lovely June morning."

And with that Iain turned his back and walking quickly and heavily, disappeared from the sight of the two women.

He had a hunch about Lyall. Something was telling him that she was not an easy maiden to be dealt with and he was in the idea of her doing something reckless.

When the Highlander entered the castle, he went straight to the kitchens where maids usually helped till they were summoned. The narrow stone corridors made him nostalgic on the freedom to lie wherever he wanted usually in the countryside.

He heard voices and thuds of metals from the pots and pans and while he was entering he faced a big belly.

"Mornin' sire! Ye are a long way from yer room! Are ye lookin' for a particular young lassie?" The servants laughed and Iain smiled back at the big man loosening his body posture by the door.

"Aye lad! That is exactly what I am doin' here! I want to speak with the lass who takes care of Lady Lyall, me future wife."

A young girl stood up. She was fairly thin, blond wearing a greenish checked dress and looked scared in front of the warrior with such reputation.

"That would be me, me laird."

Iain had a look at her and she knew she would conform to his commands with no hesitation. "Follow me. I want to talk to ye," he said and the young girl obediently did so.

***

When the two ladies stayed in the garden alone, Lyall confronted her mother.

"He is insufferable! I won't bide my life with the man responsible for the destruction of our home! Don't you see mother he is the wrong choice for me?"

Lady Elaine slowly looked at her.

"Me life so far me child has taught me that sometimes what seems like a misfortune is a disguised blessing. Please, bear yourself together and accept what is to come. It will be easier for ye, for your kinsmen and for all of us."

The young woman looked at her fiercely.

"Mother, I will not marry Iain of the Cobalt Isle, nor any other man for the matter. I had enough with people telling me what to do! I just refuse all this! I refuse it!"

Lady Elaine had a moment. The sun beams danced in front of her face and then she started laughing releasing the venom from the atmosphere. And that made Lyall even angrier.

"And why are you laughing mother!" She said with rage in her voice and eyes.

The older woman looked at her smiling.

"Me child ye aren't five anymore. Even though I am glad to see that ye have kept yer Scottish spirit all these years away from us, I must warn ye; this case is serious and ye need to remember yer place. Marrying Iain will give ye the opportunity to rule on his name. He is a warrior so he won't be there most of the time. Think of all our people wanting yer help."

With that Lyall sat still. Yet, a sudden determination appeared in her eyes.

"I will show all of you what Lady Lyall Falconer can do for Scotland and its bloody King!" she thought and accompanied her mother to her quarters without another single word.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6M 113K 42
When the Hemmingway's go into debt, their only hope out of their dilemma is their daughter, Rhea. Rhea realizes the situation and immediately agrees...
1.4M 61.1K 41
Since being liberated from the Romans, the hatred has shifted towards the Highlanders of the North. Her father swore that not one of his children wou...
1K 60 20
Linda has just finished her degree, but unfortunately doesn't get the job at a museum in London she was hoping for. She then receives a letter from h...
448K 15.9K 19
1540, Scotland A storm is brewing on the Highlands... When headstrong and stubborn Gavin MacKenzie is driven to seek vengeance after the murder of hi...