Captive of the Sea

By TheAllieL

Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screa... More

EPIGRAPH
PROLOGUE
THRÝLOS
PROAÍSTHIMA
APACHTHEÍ
ZONTANÓS
KARPÓS
THERAPÉVONTAS TIS PLIGÉS
PARASÝRETAI STI THÁLASSA
AFXANÓMENES PALÍRROIES
CALLIOPE NISÍ
KATOIKÍA
I MEGÁLI PALÍRROIA
ANÁKTISI
DIÁSOSI
PRAGMATOPOÍISI
KATHARI
ÓCHI TÓSO DIAFORETIKÓ
KATADIÓKONTAI
ASFALÍS
TO PARELTHÓN
MAKRÉS SYNOMILÍES
THAVMASMÓS
LACHTÁRA
AMARE ET AMARI SENSIT UTRAQUE SOLEM
EMPISTOSÝNI
AGÁPI
MIA EVDOMÁDA
CHRÓNOS
SCHISMÉNOS
EPITÉLOUS STO SPÍTI
EPILOGUE
ANNOUNCEMENT

OPSIÁNOS

163K 8K 5.9K
By TheAllieL

~•~

Cally is awoken from her slumber by a low grumbling sound in her stomach. Hunger. It's quite obvious. She was probably too stunned by shock last night to take notice of the growing ache in her belly.

She leans forward, her neck and shoulders stiff from having slept leaning against the cave's wall. Her muscles ache as she forces movement in her limbs, the soreness from yesterday lingering unwelcomly. Rain no longer drizzles outside the mouth of the cave, the sun bright and shining. Its light shines on the water, reflecting off the rippling surface and onto the cave's many stalactites overhead.

Cally's attention is drawn back to food by another rumble of her stomach. Her tongue is also wanting not just for food, but also for water. Her mouth is dry and cottony from the lack of moisture, an uncomfortable feeling for sure.

Well, as neither seem to be attainable, food not being catchable in her current state of handicap and the only water available being salty, she decides on instead building a fire. Some dry warmth would be nice.

Except, there also seems to be a lack of wood as well.

No fire.

No water.

No food.

The most she could go without water is roughly three days. Guessing it's been about sixteen to twenty hours since she last ate or drank anything (breakfast before the boat trip), Cally decides she has about two days before she needs water. She has about a week before she will die of starvation, so she sets food and water aside for the time being.

It could be argued that she needs to start looking for resources now, but her current state could lead her to waste more calories and become more fatigued than if she were to wait a day.

She looks at her surroundings, her gaze settling on the rocky ground. I could make the space more comfortable... she ponders to herself.

Deciding to move her body as little as possible, as to not waste her precious calories or risk injuring herself more, Cally sits herself back down against the wall. Little by little, she picks up the rocks and tosses them aside.

She slowly clears the area of rocks, leaving just sandy, pebbly ground. This way, she won't bruise herself on the uneven ground when she sleeps. Scooting herself forward, she continues, all the way to the water, which is much farther away than it was yesterday.

This is probably due to the tide, she realizes. It was probably high tide when she feel asleep, and low tide now. The low tide has given her access to at least fifteen more feet, doubling her earlier guess in size.

After some consideration, Cally has arranged her little beach almost as if it were her home. It is a silly idea, really, but it helps her cope. Adding at least some sort of normalcy helps her to adjust with the reality that she might not survive. She can at least be comfortable while she withers away, right?

The area against the wall where her tank top is laid as a mini blanket will serve as her bed. The place to the left of the mini bed, behind a large rock that is quite close to the water's edge will serve as her bathroom. When the tide comes up, it will wash away any excrement. On the other side is her sink; a little puddle. She realizes that her little 'sink' is rather unreasonable and in no way sanitary, but it's the thought that counts.

She hadn't decided on any other rooms, but she does feel like the right wall with all the pockets from years of erosion would be a perfect place for a book shelf. A potential library, maybe? She ignores the fact that she has no books.

However small it may be, Cally smiles.

~•~

Cally whimpers, her hand gently holding her gurgling stomach. It's been many hours since she awoke, probably six to eight at least, though she has no way to be certain. The sun has set, the waning moon reflecting on the ocean's surface and into her cave. The rippling water reflects the light onto the cave's ceiling, bathing the cave in a dull glow.

Another whimper slips past Cally's lips as she becomes light headed. She rests her head back on the wall behind her. Hunger is a lot harder to overcome than she had originally thought.

About two hours after she awoke, she began to get dizzy. Three hours after that had her pale and her vision swimming. Ever since, she has been slumped against the wall, her body too weak to do anything else. Not that there is anything for her to do, anyways. Go to the bathroom, maybe. But after already going twice, she isn't sure there is much left for her body to expel.

Not only is Cally hungry, but she is also in so much pain it nearly has tears running down her face. The day's exercise combined with the lack of sanitation has her entire body stinging. The blood and ooze has since dried, therefore any movement causes the scabs to crack and pull at her skin.

The very centers of the cuts are covered in milky green puss, a grotesque sight to her innocent eyes. Her own nose crinkles in disgust as she peers at the disgusting flesh. She has also noticed that the laceration on her thigh does not go straight in, but at an angle, causing the flesh on the inner side to pull up of she pries at it.

On the bright side, her broken fingers are not crooked, which means they should grow back straight as long as she doesn't mess with them while they heal.

Cally briefly wonders how long it will take for the rumored 'hunger pains' to set in. Is it two days? Three days? It doesn't matter, really. Cally isn't sure how much more pain she can endure.

She should wash her cuts, right? The salt water should clean them a little bit, right? At this point, Cally needs a distraction to take her mind off the hunger nawing at her empty stomach.

With gentle yet shaky movements, Cally slowly drags herself to the water's edge. The tide has since gone up, giving her about a twenty foot gap between her and the water. Twenty feet has never seemed farther for Cally.

She has now mastered the art of sliding herself backwards and forward in her crouched position. It is in no way easy or painless, but it works. She is able to move much more efficiently and much faster than when she first started.

Finally at the water's edge, Cally dips her feet in the dark waters. The sea feels warm compared to the cool air of the cave. The indirect breeze that swirls in the cave gently moves her hair around her face and tickles her neck. She had tied it into a bun as best she could, but it still sags a bit. The injuries on her stomach and ribs make raising her arms quite difficult.

And so she sets about cleansing herself in the ocean's salty water. Extremity by extremity, she removes the grime and sand from her body. She gently hums, her breath hitching in pain every so often, but the gentle lull of familiar songs eases her mind.

She is so focused on her cleaning, that she doesn't notice the water rippling as a lithe creature breaks the surface of the stillness. In fact, she doesn't notice him for quite some time. Cally only realizes his presence when he is close enough for her to hear his breathing.

Her head raises slowly, eyes widening and hands stilling as she meets his familiar, unwelcoming dark gaze.

Cally gasps breathlessly and begins to scramble backwards, but her body fails her. She collapses halfway out of the water, her elbows meeting the rough ground harshly and she groans.

The creature watches her struggle. He had smelled her the second she entered the water and was curious to know why she would do such a thing as to enter his domain. His steady gaze doesn't miss the trickle of blood that drips down her leg, its deep red color contrasting against her pale skin.

Cold fear latches its talons around Cally's spine, her breaths shortening into quick pants. Her body aches in protest as she collapses moves slowly back onto dry land, her ankles just out of the dark water. She isn't sure if it's exhaustion or fear that has her unable to retreat further.

Through the semi-darkness, Cally is able to make out the creature's features. His body is only visible from the chest up, the dark waters obscuring his massive tail. His skin is the palest she has ever seen.

Arteries criss-cross over the entire expanse of his skin, the lack of melanin making his epidermis nearly translucent. His dark hair lays over his head in a lazy mop, the top ruffled almost as if he had brushed it out of his eyes upon surfacing. A shiver runs down her spine as her gaze settles on the strange slits on the side of his neck.

His features are sharp and exotic, but hauntingly human. His eyes are the only things to give away his true identity.

Terrifying, obsidian eyes.

There is no difference between pupil and iris. The deep, bottomless pits so full of darkness and death, yet so alive at the same time. The moonlight reflects off of his colorless irises, the shine giving them an ethereal glow of inhuman beauty.

He watches her emotionlessly, his head tilted slightly to the side. Cally wonders if he has come back to finish her off, but if he has, what is he waiting for? Does he not realize that he could easily reach her once the tide comes up? There is no hint of malice in his colorless gaze, only mild curiosity, if that.

The creature glides forward.

"Pl-please, n-no," Cally chokes as she struggles to withhold her tears. She pulls her feet up and curls into a ball on her side, her ribs aching painfully in her abdomen.

The creature slows, his eyebrows furrowing at the human before him. Cally watches with baited breath for the creature's next move. Her eyes widen as he sinks back into the water, vanishing from sight.

She waits a few more beats before she finally lets her muscles relax and her breaths to slow. She watches the spot where he disappeared for how long, she isn't sure. Her eyes seem glued to the area, unable to move from where the frightening creature had been just a few moments ago.

A scream bursts from her dry throat as the creature once again rises back from the depths. Water drips down his pale skin, little droplets dripping from his pointed nose. His tail flicks up from beneath the water, creating a small splash as he propels himself forward.

Cally silently pleads for her life as the creature draws closer and closer. Her eyes widen as he stops merely six feet away. The shallowness of the water has him on his belly, his obsidian tail stretched out behind him.

Cally shivers under his penetrating gaze.

Cally flinches, covering her eyes as he raises his hand, almost as if he were to strike her. She jumps when something slaps on the ground in front of her. Slowly, eyelid by eyelid, she peeks her eyes open. On the ground before her is a small fish about the length of her hand. Her eyes glance out at the water, only to see the creature is nowhere to be found.

Her gaze settles on the dead fish, its head clearly smashed. With trembling hands, she picks it up. She had no way to cook it, and she isn't sure why the creature brought it to her. After many moments of gazing at the small fish, her hunger takes over her.

With a scrunched nose and teary eyes, she sinks her teeth into the raw fish.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32 0 4
A merman brought up from the water, fearing what may come. A pirate captain fighting for himself, begging to let his intentions show. The two falling...
1.6K 46 9
PUBLISHING ON AMAZON SEPTEMBER 18TH, 2022!! PRE-ORDER NOW! Young women of the island of Gimgar have one wish, they long to be the next bride of the s...
1.1K 26 27
(Book 10 in the Underwater Murder Series) When Nerissa set off for work that particular day years ago, she never expected the events that were to fol...
239K 17.8K 21
Book 3 of Beneath the Waves Being left alone for days on end was never something Fri looked forward to. After having just gotten back his one true fr...