Harrison & Sylvia: Crossroads

By StevenMeehan

Harrison is the eldest son of a powerful nobleman of the Isles. And he would rather tinker than learn how to... More

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven
Part Nine
Part Ten
Part Eleven
Part Twelve

Part Eight

18 0 0
By StevenMeehan

Placing the cloth on his workbench, Harrison Hurried to the small desk he kept in the laboratory and scrawled a quick message for Jacob.

Jacob,
I have created the material, and it is successful in protecting someone from a crossbow bolt.
Harrison

Once he folded the note, Harrison sealed it and summoned one of his father's attendants. While he waited, Harrison returned to his workbench and studied the treated cloth. Using his knife, Harrison managed to slice it in half. He shook his head and stabbed at one of the sections, and it became harder than steel. When he placed the tip of the blade on the fabric, he heard someone coughing behind him. Harrison put the knife down and turned to find Gabriel.

"Don't you sleep, Gabriel?" The young lordling inquired, walking over to his desk to claim his note.

"I do, sire," Gabriel replied, inclining his head.

Pointing at the steward, Harrison stammered, "The... Then why are you here rather than sleeping?"

"The house has come to know you, sire," Gabriel mused before pausing to consider his next words. "Well, sire, they know that when you call for them, you typically desire to speak with me. As a result, they try to wake me up whenever possible."

Harrison tapped his temple with his palm, mumbling, "That makes sense."

"What can I do for you, Master Harrison?"

The lordling shoved the sealed missive into Gabriel's hands, "I need you to deliver this to the king immediately."

"You want this delivered to the king, at this hour?" Gabriel asked, slipping the note into the pocket of his waistcoat.

"Yes," Harrison replied, walking back to his experiment.

"Very well my lord," Gabriel said, leaving Harrison to his studies.

Returning his attention back to the material, Harrison continued experimenting with the cloth to discover all its secrets. Hours later, when he finally placed the dagger back down on his workbench, Harrison identified all the limitations of the treated material. Any edge could still pierce or slice the fabric if used with the proper force. Harrison slapped his thighs and turned to summon another attendant to bring food, but he found the King's messenger waiting in silence.

"How long have you been waiting there?"

"Long enough, Harrison," the messenger said stoically.

Harrison rubbed at his tired eyes while he informed the man, "You could have left any message with my steward. He's very good at bringing things like that to my attention."

"I don't have a message for you," the man replied.

"Then, why are you here?" Harrison asked as he plucked one of the largest of the treated scraps from the table.

"I'm to escort you to the king's villa," the messenger answered before turning to leave. "Follow me."

"I don't have a horse ready to leave," Harrison responded as he grabbed the man's arm. "It will take some time for one of the stable boys to ready my mount."

"Nonsense, I came with a second horse," the messenger countered over his shoulder. "Now we've already lingered here for too long."

With a groan, Harrison followed the messenger to the stables finding two strange horses saddled and ready to depart. Without a word, Jacob's messenger climbed up on his mount and started his trek back to the King's villa. After a moment the messenger stopped and turned to frown at the still unmounted Harrison, "The king wants you at his villa immediately."

Harrison looked at his home and yawned before clambering up onto the horse. Guiding the animal next to the messenger Harrison complained, "This would have been easier with a carriage or a night's rest."

"Then you should have thought about that before sending the King your update." With a flick of the reigns, the messenger heeled his horse into a trot.

Harrison spurred his horse to follow. Along their journey, Harrison's eyes widened, and as they lingered at the vast number of Illuminators illuminating the streets. The young lordling was so engrossed with the sight that he didn't see the obstacle in his horse's path. When the horse abruptly changed direction, it took all his strength to keep himself in the saddle. Shaking his head, Harrison took one last look at the Illuminator before forcing his entire attention on the ride.

As the pair of travelers arrived at the King's villa, Harrison caught sight of the guards and stable boys waiting for them. The young boys claimed their horses while the guards waved us on by. Wordlessly the messenger guided Harrison to the villa's parlor and indicated one of the plush chairs. Nodding to the messenger Harrison plopped into his seat. Flicking his eyes back to the door, Harrison found the messenger gone. With a sigh, Harrison settled into the chair, waiting for the King to grace him with his presence. Leaning his head back, Harrison yawned and vigorously attempted to rub the sleep from his eyes.

"I'm fairly sure the technical greeting would be, good morning," Jacob said as he closed the door to the parlor behind him.

Whipping his head around, Harrison removed his eyes and saw Jacob taking the seat across from him. Sitting up in his chair, Harrison replied, "I'm fairly certain you're right." Harrison smiled as he offered his hand to the King, "Good morning, Jacob."

Jacob folded his arms across his chest and leaned back in his chair and waited. After a couple of heartbeats, Harrison scratched at his eyebrow, saying, "I did it, Jacob."

"That's what I had got from your note," Jacob said with wide eyes dancing with utter glee. Rubbing his hands together eagerly, the King asked, "But are you sure you truly accomplished the goal?"

"Yes, sir," Harrison said with emphatic eagerness.

The King clapped excitedly as his eyes began to sparkle, and he quickly rattled off a few questions without waiting for answers. "How big is it? What does it look like? What can be protected?"

Harrison smiled as he reached into the small pouch tied to his belt and answered one of Jacob's questions.  "It can look like whatever you want it to look like, Jacob."

"Is that so?" Jacob asked, lifting an eyebrow as he rubbed at his chin.

With a nod, Harrison brandished the swatch he experimented with. "The fabric is silk, but there is another material bonded to the silk that provides the protection." Harrison offered the fabric to his King, but the monarch stared at the swatch. When the ruler didn't reach for it, Harrison clenched his fist around the swath of silk. "Since this material can be bound to silk, we can bind it to any silk clothing you want."

Narrowing his eye at Harrison's fist, Jacob extended his hand, "May I see that bit of fabric?"

"Certainly," Harrison said as he placed the cloth into Jacob's fingers.

The King examined the square. After a moment, he narrowed his eyes at Harrison growling, "This doesn't feel like it would protect me from a punch, let alone an arrow or bolt."

Harrison's smile deepened. "Before I sliced off the piece you're holding the fabric blocked multiple crossbow bolts fired from less than three paces."

Jacob's face went slack, and his eyes fell back to the unassuming scrap of cloth, "If it could stop that bolt, how were you able to cut off a piece of it?"

"The material reacts to the strength of the blow," Harrison answered.

"Explain that, Harrison," Jacob commanded as he studied the fabric.

Scrunching up half of his face, Harrison replied, "The harder something strikes the material, the harder it gets."

"That doesn't explain why you could slice it," Jacob groused.

"The converse is true as well," Harrison said, pulling his knife out and pointing at the scrap. Jacob surrendered the bit of cloth, and Harrison placed it on the desk and tried to slam the dagger's tip into the fabric. The strike couldn't pierce the silk. "But," Harrison replied as he gently dragged the fabric along the knife's edge, splitting it in two.

Jacob's eyes fell upon Harrison as he said, "You'll need to demonstrate your claim before I'm convinced, Harrison."

Sheathing his blade, Harrison commented, "I can arrange that, Jacob."

"Harrison, you don't understand what I mean."  Leaning back into his chair, Jacob went on. "For me to be satisfied that this works, you'll have to demonstrate what I asked you to deliver."

Harrison's smile began to wane as confusion fought to take hold of his face.

With a harrumph, Jacob straightened himself and spoke with precise and clear words. "You'll have to demonstrate that you have made something that can be worn and protect my family and me from a bolt or an arrow."

As understanding blossomed in Harrison's mind, he quavered. "You want me to wear the treated clothing and take a bolt."

Jacob leaned over and squeezed Harrison's shoulders. "Yes, the fragility of the cloth makes me uncomfortable, Harrison." The monarch of the Isles released Harrison's shoulders and concluded, "I want to see the final product working as intended."

"Is that the only thing that will satisfy you?"

"Yes," Jacob said with finality. "Though if I were you, I would make sure the marksman shot you somewhere that wouldn't be fatal if your fabric fails."

The words slammed into Harrison like a blow to his face. Looking up into Jacob's eyes, Harrison realized that he couldn't stand. Harrison quavered in his seat as the demand danced in his mind. Forcing the slight lump down his throat, Harrison replied, "Sounds reasonable."

The monarch of the isles lifted Harrison to his feet and immediately put his arm under Harrison's shoulder to steady him. "My request sounds reasonable?"

Closing his eyes, Harrison forced his legs to steady.  Opening his eyes, Harrison declared, "Yes, Jacob, that does sound reasonable."

"Excellent!"  Jacob barked as he clapped his hands to further accentuate his feelings. The King took a step away and wondered, "How long it will take for you to produce a full suit made with your treated silk?"

Harrison scrubbed at his face before enquiring, "How long will it take to get a rather sizable amount of silk?"

"The silk we can acquire with ease Harrison," the King confirmed with a dismissive wave. Then biting his lip, he adjusted his comment, "Though I suppose to acquire an ample amount, it may take upwards of a week if not a little longer. Send word to my clothiers once you know how much you'll require."

"I will speak with them shortly, Jacob," Harrison replied, slapping his hands together.  Rubbing them briskly, the lordling added, "Since I'm going to make a suit, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be stylish as well as functional, do you?"

Jacob nodded as he wrapped his arm around Harrison's shoulders. "Of course not, please talk with my clothiers. But it should take them about a week to produce the suit once they have the silk."

Harrison nodded, stroking his chin. After a moment, he grunted, "Once they finish making the clothing, I'll need about three to four days to properly treat it."

Jacob tightened his grip on Harrison's shoulders, proposing, "Let's say that you demonstrate the clothing three weeks from tomorrow?"

"That seems reasonable to me, Jacob," Harrison replied, tugging at the collar of his shirt.

"Then I shall see you again in three weeks," Jacob replied as he released Harrison. Walking towards the door, Jacob halted the moment his hand fell upon the door. Leaving his hand affixed, Jacob remarked, "My clothiers will send for you once they have the silk." Jacob twisted his head enough to observe Harrison in his periphery. "Oh and Harrison, I would prefer that this event not be extensive, so please don't tell anyone about it."

"Very well, Jacob."

Pulling his hand from the door, Jacob faced Harrison and grinned. Waving Harrison over the King put his arm over the tinker's back. "Though you should invite your father, Lucas Roth and the woman you've been courting."

Glancing up into Jacob's eyes, Harrison inquired, "How do you know about Kylee?"

"I'm the King, Harrison," Jacob winked. "I hear many things." Without another word, Jacob left the tinker in the room.

Moments after Jacob left, his messenger arrived and escorted Harrison back to his villa. Wasting no time, Harrison wrote three letters, one for Lucas, Kylee and the last for his father. And as Jacob requested, he invited them to the King's villa in three weeks, but he withheld the reason behind the event.

***

The next day Harrison's head whipped to identify the source of knocking from his study door. Gabriel tilted his head, saying, "Master Harrison, may I introduce mistress Kylee."

Harrison's eyes frantically searched for her, locating her just behind the steward. Closing the book, Harrison spoke, "Kylee, it's wonderful to see you again."

Folding her arms across her chest, she cast a skeptical eye, "It's good to see you as well, Harrison."

Shifting in his chair, Harrison's eyes perked up and asked, "Kylee, have you eaten anything recently?"

She lifted her eyebrows slightly, but the icy glare remained.

Lifting his hands in defeat, Harrison explained. "I tend to lose track of time when I'm engrossed in my tinkering," he raised his book, adding, "or reading." Harrison placed the tome on the table, before walking over to her, concluding, "Unfortunately, I tend to ignore the cooks when they try to interrupt me."

Kylee chuckled, though she fought to keep the smile from her lips.

Harrison reached out and took her hands in his. Leading her into his study, Harrison asked, "A little bite to eat?"

She began tapping at her arms. "I suppose something small wouldn't be unappreciated," she lifted one hand showing her thumb and forefinger separated by a hair's breadth.

Whipping his head towards Gabriel, Harrison commanded, "Gabriel, can you go tell the cooks to send up..." Harrison stopped talking and craned his neck, looking for a window. When he couldn't find one, he finished, "What meal is being worked on right now?"

Gabriel suppressed a smile. Tilting his head, Gabriel answered, "I will see to it that the evening meal is brought up to you promptly, Master Harrison." Backing out of the doorway, Gabriel disappeared down the hallway.

Harrison guided Kylee to a nearby table. He took a moment to clear the books from it before he pulled her seat out. She nodded and sat down. He rounded the table, asking, "Is it evening already?"

"It's close enough, Harrison," Kylee answered as she situated herself in the chair.

Harrison shrugged his shoulder as he squeezed her hands. He kissed the back of one offering, "Kylee, I honestly get distracted," Harrison glanced down at the book and muttered, "easily."

"I'm aware of how easily distracted you can get," Kylee replied as she put a hand to her forehead with a false gasp.

"Then what brings you to my family's villa?"

She took a long breath before replying, "You invited me to the king's manor."

"Oh," Harrison said as his cheeks took on a hint of red.

"Yes, that," Kylee said with warmth. "You neglected to include why we would be going there."

Harrison nodded, "That wasn't an oversight, Kylee."

Her eyes perked up, and she cocked her head. Kylee looked around and asked, "Well, by all means, can you tell me why you didn't include that?"

Racking his hands through his hair, Harrison grimaced. "I would love to tell you everything, Kylee." Lifting her hands, he gently squeezed them, adding, "Unfortunately, the king requested that no one I invite be told what will be going on."

"Then why did you invite me?"

Harrison tapped her hands upon the table, "Well, that's another request of the king."

"Really?"

"Yes," Harrison said, kissing her hand. "The king knows that we've been social."

"So he told you to invite just me?"

"No," Harrison replied. "He said I should invite Lucas, you and my father."

"Oh," Kylee chirped as she covered her mouth with one hand. "And you cannot give me a single hint about what will be happening at that event?"

Harrison shook his head as he re-collected the hand by her face. "I wish I could provide more information, Kylee."

"But our beloved king is forcing you to keep it secret," Kylee drawled.

Harrison winked at Kylee placing a finger upon his lips.

Placing her elbows on the table, Kylee rested her chin in her hands. "Well, you're doing this demonstration in his home, which means it must be important."

"I cannot talk about it, Kylee."

Kylee stuck out her tongue and gave Harrison a week, "Well if the meeting wasn't important, then he wouldn't have it at his own villa."

"Could be," Harrison replied as he tightened his grip on her hands. With a series of gentle squeezes, he answered, "I'm sorry, Kylee, I can't say anything more than what I've already told you."

She folded her arms back across her chest and gave Harrison a brief scowl before she dropped it and her arms. "You'll owe me for this Harrison."

"I'll owe you?"

"Yes," Kylee chimed in through a smirk.

"This isn't my idea," Harrison pleaded.

With a wink, Kylee chimed in, "And you can make it up to me by escorting me to a gala at the end of the week. How does that sound?"

"I would love to, Kylee," Harrison answered with a broad smile.

"Master Harrison, your meal is served," Gabriel said as he entered the doorway carrying a rather large tray with a collection of food and wine upon it.

Harrison smiled at Kylee and asked, "Care to join me for my evening meal?"

***

"Can you tell me why you continue refusing to give me the details on this event for the King?" Lucas asked as he barged into Harrison's office.

Harrison pinched his nose as he sighed at the intrusion. Without looking away from his book, Harrison asked, "Isn't Gabriel able to keep you, corralled?"

"Of course not," Lucas grumbled as he plopped into the chair opposite his friend.

"He's usually very skilled at his job," Harrison mused as he turned the page in his book.

"I never argued that," Lucas said as he pointed at the door. "I'm just able to get around him."

With a bow, Gabriel spoke with labored breaths, "I'm sorry, Master Harrison."

Flicking to the next page, Harrison replied, "Don't worry, Gabriel." Harrison closed his book on his forefinger and looked to the door. "Lucas is just very good at circumventing stewards." After Gabriel left, Harrison huffed, "I'd appreciate you not tormenting my steward, Lucas."

At the words, Lucas's face looked as if Harrison slapped it. Throwing up his hands, Lucas groaned, "Fine, I'll play nice with Gabriel from now on."

"Thank you," I replied as I resumed reading my book.

Lucas flowed to his feet and waved a hand between my face and book, "Can we play a game of Bain?"

"You don't want to do that," Harrison answered as he turned the page.

"Bah," Lucas replied, plopping down into his chair. "Why won't you tell me about this upcoming event with the King?"

Flipping the book closed on his finger, Harrison gently hit his forehead with the book. "Not you too. I mean, I expect this from my father. But I didn't expect this from you," Harrison pointed at Lucas with his book and then to his right, "or Kylee."

Steepling his fingers just below his chin, Lucas commented, "People like to know secrets, and you presented us with a great secret. Are you really surprised we want to know the details."

Sighing, Harrison tapped his book on his thigh. "Yes, I'm surprised by the two of you."

"Bain?" Lucas asked as he reached for the board.

"I don't want to embarrass you again," Harrison said as he slipped the book's ribbon into place.

"I've been practicing, Harrison," Lucas replied as he positioned the board to the center of the desk and took the small bowl of white stones. "Besides, if you didn't want to play, why is the board on your desk? Normally you keep it on one of your shelves."

"Fine," Harrison said, shaking his head. Reaching out, Harrison grabbed the small bowl of black stones, "We can play a game. Who knows beating you might be just what I need to cheer up."

Lucas looked u through narrowed eyes and a smirk, "A little cocky, aren't you?"

Pulling a stone from his bowl, Harrison tossed it up and caught it before replying, "Not when you haven't beaten me in years, Lucas. Then it's just stating a fact."

"Bah," Lucas barked as he placed his first stone. "Can I get a hint about this upcoming event?"

Harrison tapped his stone to his lips as he thought about the rest of the game. When he decided here to place his piece, he laid the stone on the board saying, "It will be at the King's villa, and he will be present."

Lucas glared at his friend and placed the next stone without thinking. "That's not all that helpful, Harrison."

"Then change topic, Lucas," Harrison replied as he placed his next piece on the board.

"Fine," Lucas pulled out a stone and started tapping the table while he thought about their next topic. "How about we talk about Kylee," Lucas chimed as he laid his stone on the board.

Harrison plucked out his next stone with a low hum, "What about her?"

"She likes you, Harrison," Lucas replied.

Harrison chuckled, tapping his piece on the tabletop, "I've been able to gather that much, Lucas."

"Oh, I'm sure you could," Lucas replied as he took another stone from his bowl. Waiting for Harrison to complete his turn, Lucas began twirling the stone in his hand. "Though you should consider marrying her. The two of you get along well, and a union between your houses would benefit you."

Harrison placed his piece with a grin as he removed one of Lucas's white stones. He tossed it to his friend muttering, "I'm not good husband material, Lucas."

Lucas caught the stone and dropped it into his bowl as he placed his next piece, "She would seem to argue that point, Harrison." Lucas leaned over and grabbed his friend's shoulders before he continued, "Look, I've said my piece, and I've complained." Releasing his Harrison, Lucas leaned back into his chair and grinned, "Now let's play."

***

After two weeks of work, Harrison stared at his new black suit, the royal clothiers did fantastic work. Shifting his gaze away from the hay stuffed suit, Harrison smiled at the broken bolts that littered the floor. Putting the crossbow down on his workbench and summoned some attendants before he started picking up the remnants off the floor. When the attendants, Harrison deposited the pieces next to the crossbow and commanded, "Remove the hay from the suit and then clean it."

"Yes, sir," the attendants replied in unison.

While Harrison resumed his work to clean the suit, the attendants hurried and undressed the target. Once they removed all of the hay from the suit, the pair of attendants left to clean the suit. Walking over to the impromptu closet, he examined the other two suits. Once Harrison had confirmed that washing the black suit 'wouldn't damage its new ability to protect him, Harrison treated the other two suits as well. With the same glorious results.

Removing the dark grey coat, Harrison laid it over the back of a chair while he changed into the dark gray pants. As he pulled the gray jacket on, Harrison heard his father voice, "Hello, Harrison."

Focusing on buttoning up his coat, Harrison retorted, "Hello, father."

"Should I assume that this event at the King's villa, has something to do with that suit?" His father asked, his voice thick with irritation at his son's disrespect. "I would also assume it means that you've managed to replicate another relic."

Running his hands down upon the front of his coat, Harrison turned to face his father. Narrowing his eyes, Harrison growled, "Father, you'll have to wait like everyone else to discover the purpose of this gathering."

His father slammed his fist into the door as he demanded, "Show me a little respect, boy!"

Harrison stalked towards his father, countered his demand, "I'm sorry, father. But you must know that if I didn't tell you what this event was about in the letter, I wouldn't tell you now. You'll just have to wait till tomorrow and find out why you've been invited like everyone."

"This audience better be worth it Harrison." His father said, throwing open the door to Harrison's laboratory.

But when Harrison didn't flinch, as his father turned to leave. Harrison smiled and asked, "Isn't any audience with the King important and worth our time, father?"

His father stopped walking the moment his son's question touched his ears. Without turning around, his father harrumphed and stalked away, leaving Harrison in peace.

Looking over at the blue suit in the closet, Harrison decided that he should test that one again just to be absolutely confident about his work. After another successful round of testing, Harrison sighed in relief. He carried the blue suit to his room and put it away before getting some much-needed rest.

When Harrison woke the following morning, he quickly dressed in the treated suit before enjoying the rest of his morning. As he walked through his family's gardens, Harrison's hand kept coming to rest on his stomach. Each his fingers touch his belly, Harrison shook his head and forced himself to keep walking. He knew that his stomach's twisting and churning due to the uncertainty of Jacob's demand for a display of the material's protection. After having his midday meal, Harrison got a horse and rode to Jacob's villa.

Upon his arrival, Harrison was whisked to the same parlor he met with Jacob three weeks prior. After a short wait, Jacob walked into the room, and Harrison's unease vanished.

The King stared at Harrison with hard eyes for a moment before he clapped Harrison's back. "Harrison, that suit looks fantastic on you."

"Thank you, Jacob, it's the best suit I've ever worn."

"My clothiers are the best in all the isles," Jacob replied as he gripped at Harrison's shoulder. "Though I have to confess that my clothiers informed me that made you three suits."

"Yes, Jacob, I did ask for three suits."

With a gentle nod, Jacob said, "Well, I certainly hope it wasn't all for naught, and you get to wear those other suits sometime."

"It will work Jacob," Harrison stated with absolute certainty.

"For your sake, I hope you're right, Harrison." Jacob released Harrison's shoulder, and with heavy steps, he walked over to a table with a carafe of wine and a pair of goblets. The King poured wine into each before offering one to Harrison, saying, "Just keep in mind that my marksmen will be using a heavy crossbow." The King said, thumping his finger against Harrison's chest. Jacob's eyes widened as Harrison took a step back sipping from his goblet.

"That fabric feels more like steel," Jacob said hoarsely.

Leaning forward, Harrison whispered, "Press it gently."

Jacob cocked his head up but did precisely what Harrison said and found no resistance, his face went slack. Shifting his eyes to Harrison's, the King asked, "How?"

Harrison's smile spread from ear to ear, and he drank freely from his goblet. Putting his cup down on a nearby surface, he rested a hand on Jacob's shoulder, "The crossbow bolt will not pierce the cloth." Harrison lifted a lapel and squeezed the King's shoulder.

"I certainly hope so for your sake, Harrison," Jacob drained his goblet and placed it next to Harrison's. "But for now follow me so we can prepare for the demonstration." With that, Jacob spun around and walked out of the parlor. Harrison promptly followed the King to the villa's reception hall.

***

Looking at the reception hall, Harrison blinked at the number of people pouring into the room. Based on Jacob's words, he expected a handful of people, but this, this was intimidating. When the last person entered the hall, Harrison felt the weight of each pair of eyes upon him. Harrison silently waited for the King to get this demonstration started. With each passing moment, the tension that vanished earlier fought to reclaim it's grip on my stomach, especially when I caught sight of the man standing across from me. Roughly four paces away, a crossbowman held his heavy crossbow and occasionally glanced at me a smile on his face each time.

According to Jacob, the crossbowman was an excellent marksman. When Jacob felt that he had given every one present long enough for speculation, he stood up and addressed the gathered throng. But Harrison's eyes ignored Jacobs's speech. His eyes fell upon Bella. And with every word of Jacob's statement, Harrison saw' Kylee's skin go pale. Shifting his eyes from her, he saw concern etched upon Lucas's face. Keeping himself from wincing, Harrison realized that the hall was deathly silent. Glancing back at the crossbowman Harrison knew the crowd waited for him to give the command to fire.

Harrison took a deep breath and thought about the options he about where to have the marksman aim. When he made his choice, Harrison pointed at his stomach, saying, "Adlar, fire here when ready."

Without a moment's hesitation, the marksman lifted the crossbow to his eye and took aim at Harrison's stomach and pulled the trigger, letting the bolt start its journey. As it leaped from the crossbow and flew towards Harrison's middle, Harrison watching every inch of the bolt's journey towards his stomach.

When the bolt struck him, Harrison doubled over. A collective gasp escaped the lips from everyone who watched the bolt's journey. No one moved a muscle, Kylee wasn't even able to scream out in terror and fear. The silence in the room encompassed everything until the distinctive clatter of a bolt falling upon the ground erupted through the silence.

As the bolt finished bouncing upon the floor, everyone's eyes whipped towards it. Meanwhile, Harrison straightened and began looking at different faces in the crowd until his eyes fell upon Kylee. He touched a hand to his lips before he took a step towards the King, saying, "I'm sorry to have given you all such a scare." He turned to face Jacob as he tapped the bolt with his foot concluding, "But as you all can see the bolt did no lasting harm."

Jacob jumped to his feet and cried out in joy, "Behold the newest member of my court."

With the King's declaration, everyone who was gathered rose to their feet and began applauding, stunning Harrison to silence. Silently Harrison watched as Jacob rushed to embrace him. Jacob whispered into Harrison's ear, "That was truly a remarkable demonstration, Harrison." Stepping away from Harrison quietly asked, "Now I know you used silk here, but my clothiers told me how much silk was needed to make your three suits. Other than your material, the only thing that makes these clothing different it how much tighter the weave is correct?"

"That's correct, Jacob."

"And I assume you can produce more of this material?"

"I'm having a little trouble finding the base components, but once we secure a constant supply of those, I'll be able to make more of the material." Looking around the hall, Harrison quietly asked, "How much more of the material will you require?"

With his own wide smile, Jacob answered the question, "We will increase the search for those components, but I'll require as much as you can make for me. Aside from outfitting my family with this clothing, I'm convinced that this will make the finest armor my soldiers could ever have." Laughing, Jacob pointed at a group of men debating amongst themselves. "Of course, if they hadn't been here to witness this, they never would have believed it possible. Though I'm sure they are currently trying to vie to be the first to receive such protection." The King turned his attention back to Harrison and quickly asked, "I assume it will protect from bladed weapons as well?"

"Yes, Jacob, though remember so moving blades will still be able to cut the material."

Snapping his fingers, Jacob replied, "I remember."

"You do realize that it takes longer to produce the clothing than it does to produce the material."

With understanding, Jacob wrapped his thumb and index finger around his chin, asking, "Do we have to use silk?"

Harrison's head began to bob back and forth as he thought about the question. And once he gave it enough consideration, he answered, "The silk's natural strength, plus its tight weave help give the finished clothing its strength. I wouldn't recommend using anything other than silk for your family. But I suppose we could experiment with other fabric to see if we can produce similar results with those."

The joy in Jacob's eye grew with each of Harrison's words, and he quickly exclaimed, "We will have to test that very thoroughly." But he saw Harrison's expression blanch. Clapping his newest court member on the back as he said, "No, Harrison I wouldn't dare have a marksman take aim at you again. Not after I made you a member of my court."

Latching upon those words, Harrison asked, "What does that mean exactly?"

"Well, it means you'll be responsible for reproducing the powers of various relics for me, or as close as you can."

As the answer escaped Jacob's lips understanding flared in Harrison's mind and without thought, he asked, "So I'll be your personal tinkerer?"

"Well Harrison, I'm sure we will be able to come up with a more appropriate title for you. But yes, ultimately that's exactly what you will be responsible for." Pulling his friend closer into him, Jacob went on, "Though it also means you will have rights all on your own. You will no longer be riding on your father's name."

With a frown treading upon Harrison's face, he absently said, "That's a pity because my father will never let me back into his library. He'll be too upset at losing my services for himself."

Jacob bobbed his head and spoke freely, "Well, I'm sure we'll be able to arrange something with your father. After all, you will have to have a permanent residence here on the isle. And I see no reason for you to have to leave your equipment. Though you will ultimately get your own isle as well and I have one in mind for you, but that's getting a bit too far ahead of ourselves. For now, let's enjoy your success." The King said as he pulled something out from his belt with his free hand and handed it over to Harrison. Jacob whispered into Harrison's ear, "I will explain about this relic later, at a more opportune time. But this is one I want you to work on, though it may take a long time to work out."

Harrison thanked Jacob, and the two were promptly joined by Harrison's father. Seizing the opportunity, Harrison said, "Well father since I'll need to remain here on the isle for multiple reasons. The King is hopeful that he will be able to come to an arrangement to ease the transition of the villa and the attendants to me."

His father looked at him with anger smoldering behind his eyes before he forced a smile. "I'm sure we'll be able to come to a satisfactory decision on that, son."

"Excellent," Harrison exclaimed as he clapped his hands together and then caught sight of Kylee behind his father's shoulder. He saw the irritation on her face and spoke at both the King and his father, "I'm sorry gentlemen, but there is someone I need to go apologize to."

With a knowing nod of understanding, Jacob replied, "Of course, Harrison go make your apologies. Your father and I will discuss your new home and attendants." As soon as the words were out of Jacob's mouth, the King wrapped his arm around Harrison's father and led him away. Seizing the freedom, Harrison wove his way through the people who were trying to congratulate him. However, he only had eyes for Kylee, and when he reached her, he spoke with sincerity, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, Kylee."

She narrowed her eyes at him and spoke with barely constrained frustration, "You're lucky that you're wearing... whatever that is because I want to punch you right now."

"I'm sorry, Kylee, but the king told me that I wasn't allowed to tell anyone about this demonstration."

"Well, Harrison," Kylee began as she tried to soften her eyes as she continued. "That's the only reason I'm not going to punch you for it." Harrison offered Kylee his arm and true to her word she didn't punch it. Instead, she latched onto it like holding onto it as passionately as if it had been made of gold.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

184 39 20
Picking up the pieces. Book 1 In a kingdom far, far away, in a land only dreamers can conjure up, lives a princess named Naya Foltenhearte. She has...
44.1K 4K 47
Acting normal is not the same as being normal. No one knows that truth better than Suthe Montikwe. Born with the unlucky genes of a distant druith...
382K 30.4K 84
Ray is low on time, luck, and hope; his only chance is an artifact that may not even exist. But upon meeting Landon, Ray is beginning to believe he m...
233 44 40
Three girls, two boys, and the rest of the world. This ferocious five is not your average group of teens. They all have a special secret that makes t...