Harry Potter and the Altered...

By SamanthaPerry0

Percy Jackson was nineteen, nearly twenty years old and was the boss of an aquarium of his own. Demigod life... More

Warning for Story
Prologue: The Abused Boy
Chapter 1: The Letter
Chapter 2: Diagon Alley
Chapter 3: The Sorting
Chapter 4: Classes
Chapter 5: The Duel
Chapter 6: Halloween Feast
Chapter 7: The Match Disaster
Chapter 8: Christmas Parties
Chapter 9: The New Years Party
Chapter 10: The Mirror
Chapter 11: The Forest
Chapter 12: The Minion
Chapter 13: Summer Holidays
Chapter 14: The House Elf and Diagon
Chapter 15: The Dysfunctional Platform
Chapter 16: New Friends and Second Year
Chapter 17: Babied Plants and An Idiot Professor
Chapter 18: Teaching DADA and the Strange Ravenclaw
Chapter 19: The Black Lake
Chapter 20: I Swear I Really Did Hear a Voice in the Wall
Chapter 21: Deathday Party is a Thing Apparently
Chapter 22: The Writing in Blood
Chapter 23: Lockhart (As Usual) Makes a Fool of Himself
Chapter 24: The Talk with Dumbledore
Chapter 25: Christmas Hols
Chapter 26: The Diary
Chapter 27: T.M.Riddle
Chapter 28: The Chamber of Secrets
Chapter 29: Recap
Chapter 30: Reveal
Chapter 31: Summer Year 2
Chapter 32: The Dog
Chapter 33: Wanted Sirius Black
Chapter 34: Dementors
Chapter 35: First Day Classes
Chapter 36: The Wardrobe Seems Possessed
Chapter 37: The Werewolf
Chapter 38: The Giant Sleepover
Chapter 39: The Haunted Game
Chapter 40: Christmas
Chapter 41: The Patronus
Chapter 42: The Interesting Case of Sirius Black
Chapter 43: Exams with a New Creature
Chapter 44: Welp, Never Getting a Rat as a Pet
Chapter 45: Moony and his Cub
Chapter 46: The Godfather Oath and an Idiot Minister
Chapter 47: Summer Year 3
Chapter 48: The Beginning of the End
Chapter 49: The World Cup
Chapter 50: What in Hades is the Dark Mark Doing at the World Cup?
Chapter 51: The Start of Year 4
Chapter 53: The Other Schools
Chapter 54: Harry's Idea
Chapter 55: The Unintentional Fourth Champion
Chapter 56: First Duel of the Dueling Tournament
Chapter 57: Oh Look Another Dragon
Chapter 58: Harry's Next Duel in Dueling Tournament
Chapter 59: The Ear Splitting Shriek That Neville Says Comes Out of the Egg
Chapter 60: Yule Ball
Chapter 61: I Gain New Friends
Chapter 62: The Mad Couch...I Mean Mr.Crouch
Chapter 63: The Third Task
Chapter 64: The Reveal
Chapter 65: The Hidden Minion
Chapter 66: The Parting of Ways
Chapter 67: Summer Year 4
Chapter 68: The Cold Wind
Chapter 69: The Order of the Phoenix
Chapter 70: The Idiot Minister
Chapter 71: The Warnings From a Hat
Chapter 72: That's It, Dolores Umbridge is From Tartarus
Chapter 73: It Was Not Worth It
Chapter 74: A Godly Wrath

Chapter 52: The Three Unforgivables

10.6K 471 248
By SamanthaPerry0

Can we all just take a moment and appreciate this beauty I found on youtube. If you want to find it yourself on youtube it's called Harry Potter | Flares「July 31st」by AnneSoshi. I want to take a moment that Hermione and Ron really are the type of friends that people strive for in the world. I love this video, the two collaborators on it did an amazing job that deserves to be seen, I don't think I felt as much emotion as I really have when I saw this.

I do not own Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire or the Percy Jackson series/characters.

Quotes from book

Mind Talking between Familiar/Bonded

Bulgarian

First day classes were too horrible, they had to take care of Blast-Ended Skrewt's in Care of Magical Creatures (a creature that even Harry was a little uncertain about) and he had no homework in his Arithmancy class, though he did have quite a bit from Ancient Runes.

It was why Harry walked from Ancient Runes to find Draco that he found Professor Moody tossing a ferret around in the air with his wand.

The only reason Harry really noted it was because the magical signature of the ferret matched Draco's. Anger filled Harry.

"Enough, you will drop Draco this instant and turn him back," Harry commanded as he pushed his way through the ground, he felt his magic rear in his body, ready to defend his friend.

"I don't like people who attack when their opponent's back's turned," growled Moody as the ferret bounced higher and higher, squealing in pain. "Stinking, cowardly, scummy thing to do. . . ."(- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Page 205)

Harry magic broke and simultaneously held Draco in the air so he didn't just drop, while the other part just shoved Moody into the walls of the castle, causing it to crack slightly, but ultimately not harm him.

"I said, that was enough," Harry said dangerously.

Pansy was in quiet shock behind him, Harry had no doubt that she had angered Draco and he retaliated by firing a spell at her back, but he also knew Draco wouldn't have chosen a spell that would've harmed Pansy, that could've caused him to get in serious trouble.

Harry  glared at his DADA professor as he walked toward the floating Draco and carefully let go of the spell when his hands were under Draco. Calmly, he put Draco on his shoulder and turned toward the ground.

"If I see anyone condoning any violence toward other students, or if I notice that no student has taken action against a professor abusing a student, then I will make you pay. Is this understood. Bullying is for the weak, the brace are the ones that stand up against bullying. Now, fuck off," Harry said sharply as he felt Draco trembling slightly on his shoulder.

Harry left the gawking students and the hurt professor as he entered the school and walked toward the dungeons. Draco was still slightly shaking and Harry knew he wouldn't want the Healer at the school seeing him like this, so he took Draco to the one place he knew Draco would be safe.

He walked in front of the portrait. "Can you please get Professor Snape, it regards Draco," Harry told the portrait pleasantly.

The man in the painting scowled at Harry, but did disappear from his frame, most likely heading to one inside the room to get Professor Snape.

The painting of the man didn't return, but the portrait had swung open to reveal Professor Snape with his own scowl on his face.

"Jackson, what do you want? What mischief have you caused now?" Severus asked with a small glare, he had been in the middle of a potion, he loathed being interrupted.

"It concerns Draco, Sev," Harry said softly.

Snape rose an unimpressed eyebrow. "Does it? Then where is the boy?" Harry could see the hidden concern behind the sneer he had.

"He's on my shoulder," Harry said impressed as he motioned to the ferret that clung to the robes on his shoulder. "Perhaps I can tell you more inside."

"Come in," Severus rushed as soon as he realized that Draco was the ferret on Harry's shoulder.

-------------------------

"Harry, while Professor Moody is not going to press charges, it concerns me what you have done to him," Dumbledore said kindly later that day as Harry, Deputy Headmistress McGonagall, and Harry were meeting in Dumbledore's office.

"I am not sorry for what I did," Harry said stubbornly, his mouth twitching into a snarl before going back to blank.

"Harry! You cannot just attack professors," McGonagall stressed worriedly.

"He attacked a student first. Draco had no real reason for Moody to turn him into a ferret and treat him like that. The most common thing is at most a detention, the least is a warning. No where should a teacher transfigure a student into an animal and then make them go up and down in the air. So, no, I will not be sorry for pushing Moody into a wall, he deserves worse for the way he treated Draco," Harry stressed.

"Professor Moody, Harry, he is a faculty member here.

"He is no professor of mine. He does not deserve the title of respect," Harry spat. "I will take the detention you give me, but I will never apologize for what I did. You can write to my father and even then, I will never regret helping Draco. So, can I go," Harry said, fed up.

Dumbledore sighed while McGonagall looked between the two worriedly.

"I suppose it would be a waste of time to get you to apologize. But Harry, I will tell you that Professor Moody himself, has been warned. Draco will have no detention or warnings, I will ask that you have a detention with Professor Snape this Saturday. He has already confirmed in handling your detention."

"Then I will see Professor Snape this Saturday," Harry said determinedly while standing up and leaving the room.

Harry left the room shortly after, leaving just McGonagall and Dumbledore alone.

"So, do we think that's the Potter genes or the Jackson?" McGonagall asked with a sigh.

"Perhaps, a combination of both? Lemon Drop?" Dumbledore asked, his eyes twinkling in mirth.

"I believe I have students to teach, I will leave you alone," McGonagall quickly said before leaving.

Dumbledore just shook his head amusedly before turning to Fawkes. "You would think I would be giving them poison. Honestly, Lemon Drops are just rather good, I don't know why no one wants some."

Fawkes just trilled in his own amusement before stealing one of the Lemon Drops from Albus.

"At least you will have some, Old Friend," Albus said softly with a smile as Fawkes just trilled at him once more.

-------------------------

Two days passed until Harry and the Puffs had their own Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson, so far, the group of fourth years have heard good things about the teacher, but Harry was still bitter over what Moody had done to Draco.

As a result, all of their friends were bitter over what Moody had done to Draco.

They hurried into three chairs right in front of the teacher's desk, took out their copies of The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection, and waited, unusually quiet. Soon they heard Moody's distinctive clunking footsteps coming down the corridor, and he entered the room, looking as strange and frightening as ever. They could just see his clawed, wooden foot protruding from underneath his robes.

"You can put those away," he growled, stumping over to his desk and sitting down, "those books. You won't need them." They returned the books to their bags.

Moody took out a register, shook his long mane of grizzled gray hair out of his twisted and scarred face, and began to call out names, his normal eye moving steadily down the list while his magical eye swiveled around, fixing upon each student as he or she answered.

"Right then," he said, when the last person had declared themselves present, "I've had a letter from Professor Lupin about this class. Seems you've had a pretty thorough grounding in tackling Dark creatures — you've covered boggarts, Red Caps, hinkypunks, grindylows, Kappas, and werewolves, is that right?" There was a general murmur of assent.

"But you're behind — very behind — on dealing with curses," said Moody. "So I'm here to bring you up to scratch on what wizards can do to each other. I've got one year to teach you how to deal with Dark —"

"What, aren't you staying?" Susan blurted out.

Moody's magical eye spun around to stare at Susan; Susan looked extremely apprehensive, but after a moment Moody smiled — the first time Harry had seen him do so. The effect was to make his heavily scarred face look more twisted and contorted than ever, but it was nevertheless good to know that he ever did anything as friendly as smile. Susan looked deeply relieved.

"You'll be Amelia Bones' neice, eh?" Moody said. "Your aunt got me out of a very tight corner a few days ago. . . . Yeah, I'm staying just the one year. Special favor to Dumbledore. . . . One year, and then back to my quiet retirement." He gave a harsh laugh, and then clapped his gnarled hands together.

"So — straight into it. Curses. They come in many strengths and forms. Now, according to the Ministry of Magic, I'm supposed to teach you counter curses and leave it at that. I'm not supposed to show you what illegal Dark curses look like until you're in the sixth year. You're not supposed to be old enough to deal with it till then. But Professor Dumbledore's got a higher opinion of your nerves, he reckons you can cope, and I say, the sooner you know what you're up against, the better. How are you supposed to defend yourself against something you've never seen? A wizard who's about to put an illegal curse on you isn't going to tell you what he's about to do. He's not going to do it nice and polite to your face. You need to be prepared. You need to be alert and watchful. You need to put that away, Miss Abbott, when I'm talking."

Hannah jumped and blushed. She had been showing Tracy Davis her completed horoscope under the desk. Apparently Moody's magical eye could see through solid wood, as well as out of the back of his head.

"So . . . do any of you know which curses are most heavily punished by wizarding law?"

Several hands rose tentatively into the air, including Susan's and Blaise. Moody pointed at Blaise, though his magical eye was still fixed on Hannah.

"My mom told me once about the unforgivable called the Imperius Curse." Blaise said

"Ah, yes," said Moody appreciatively. "Gave the Ministry a lot of trouble at one time, the Imperius Curse." Moody got heavily to his mismatched feet, opened his desk drawer, and took out a glass jar. Three large black spiders were scuttling around inside it. Harry noted most students that disliked spiders recoil slightly.

Moody reached into the jar, caught one of the spiders, and held it in the palm of his hand so that they could all see it. He then pointed his wand at it and muttered, "Imperio!"

The spider leapt from Moody's hand on a fine thread of silk and began to swing backward and forward as though on a trapeze. It stretched out its legs rigidly, then did a back flip, breaking the thread and landing on the desk, where it began to cartwheel in circles. Moody jerked his wand, and the spider rose onto two of its hind legs and went into what was unmistakably a tap dance.

Everyone was laughing — everyone except Moody. "Think it's funny, do you?" he growled. "You'd like it, would you, if I did it to you?"

The laughter died away almost instantly.

"Total control," said Moody quietly as the spider balled itself up and began to roll over and over. "I could make it jump out of the window, drown itself, throw itself down one of your throats . . ." Ernie Macmillian, a fellow hufflepuff, gave an involuntary shudder.

"Years back, there were a lot of witches and wizards being controlled by the Imperius Curse," said Moody, and Harry knew he was talking about the days in which Voldemort had been all-powerful. "Some job for the Ministry, trying to sort out who was being forced to act, and who was acting of their own free will.

"The Imperius Curse can be fought, and I'll be teaching you how, but it takes real strength of character, and not everyone's got it. Better avoid being hit with it if you can. CONSTANT VIGILANCE!" he barked, and everyone jumped. 

Moody picked up the somersaulting spider and threw it back into the jar.

"Anyone else know one? Another illegal curse?"

Susan's hand flew into the air again and so, to Harry's slight surprise, did Neville's. The only class in which Neville usually volunteered information was Herbology, which was easily his best subject. Neville looked surprised at his own daring.

"Yes?" said Moody, his magical eye rolling right over to fix on Neville.

"There's one — the Cruciatus Curse," said Neville in a small but distinct voice.

Moody was looking very intently at Neville, this time with both eyes.

"Your name's Longbottom?" he said, his magical eye swooping down to check the register again. Neville nodded nervously, but Moody made no further inquiries. Turning back to the class at large, he reached into the jar for the next spider and placed it upon the desktop, where it remained motionless, apparently too scared to move.

"The Cruciatus Curse," said Moody. "Needs to be a bit bigger for you to get the idea," he said, pointing his wand at the spider.

"Engorgio!" The spider swelled. It was now larger than a tarantula. Abandoning all pretense, most people pushed their chairs backward, as far away from Moody's desk as possible.

Moody raised his wand again, pointed it at the spider, and muttered, "Crucio!"

At once, the spider's legs bent in upon its body; it rolled over and began to twitch horribly, rocking from side to side. No sound came from it, but Harry was sure that if it could have given voice, it would have been screaming. Moody did not remove his wand, and the spider started to shudder and jerk more violently —

"Stop it!" Hannah said shrilly.

Harry looked around at her. She was looking, not at the spider, but at Neville, and Harry, following her gaze, saw that Neville's hands were clenched upon the desk in front of him, his knuckles white, his eyes wide and horrified.

Moody raised his wand. The spider's legs relaxed, but it continued to twitch.

"Reducio," Moody muttered, and the spider shrank back to its proper size. He put it back into the jar.

"Pain," said Moody softly. "You don't need thumbscrews or knives to torture someone if you can perform the Cruciatus Curse. . . . That one was very popular once too.

"Right . . . anyone know any others?"

Harry looked around. From the looks on everyone's faces, he guessed they were all wondering what was going to happen to the last spider. Susan's hand shook slightly as, for the third time, she raised it into the air.

"Yes?" said Moody, looking at her.

"Avada Kedavra," Susan whispered.

Several people looked uneasily around at her, including Draco. "Ah," said Moody, another slight smile twisting his lopsided mouth. "Yes, the last and worst. Avada Kedavra . . . the Killing Curse."

He put his hand into the glass jar, and almost as though it knew what was coming, the third spider scuttled frantically around the bottom of the jar, trying to evade Moody's fingers, but he trapped it, and placed it upon the desktop. It started to scuttle frantically across the wooden surface.

Moody raised his wand, and Harry felt a sudden thrill of foreboding.

"Avada Kedavra!" Moody roared.

There was a flash of blinding green light and a rushing sound, as though a vast, invisible something was soaring through the air — instantaneously the spider rolled over onto its back, unmarked, but unmistakably dead. Several of the students stifled cries; Ron had thrown himself backward and almost toppled off his seat as the spider skidded toward him.

Moody swept the dead spider off the desk onto the floor.

"Not nice," he said calmly. "Not pleasant. And there's no countercurse. There's no blocking it. Only one known person has ever survived it, and he's sitting right in front of me."

Harry felt his face redden as Moody's eyes (both of them) looked into his own. He could feel everyone else looking around at him too. Harry stared at the blank blackboard as though fascinated by it, but not really seeing it at all. . . .

So that was how his parents had died . . . exactly like that spider.

Had they been unblemished and unmarked too? Had they simply seen the flash of green light and heard the rush of speeding death, before life was wiped from their bodies?

Harry had been picturing his parents' deaths over and over again for three years now, ever since he'd found out they had been murdered, ever since he'd found out what had happened that night: Wormtail had betrayed his parents' whereabouts to Voldemort, who had come to find them at their cottage. How Voldemort had killed Harry's father first. How James Potter had tried to hold him off, while he shouted at his wife to take Harry and run . . . Voldemort had advanced on Lily Potter, told her to move aside so that he could kill Harry . . . how she had begged him to kill her instead, refused to stop shielding her son . . . and so Voldemort had murdered her too, before turning his wand on Harry. . . .

Harry knew these details because he had heard his parents' voices when he had fought the dementors last year — for that was the terrible power of the dementors: to force their victims to relive the worst memories of their lives, and drown, powerless, in their own despair. . . .

Moody was speaking again, from a great distance, it seemed to Harry. With a massive effort, he pulled himself back to the present and listened to what Moody was saying.

"Avada Kedavra's a curse that needs a powerful bit of magic behind it — you could all get your wands out now and point them at me and say the words, and I doubt I'd get so much as a nosebleed. But that doesn't matter. I'm not here to teach you how to do it.

"Now, if there's no countercurse, why am I showing you? Because you've got to know. You've got to appreciate what the worst is. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where you're facing it. CONSTANT VIGILANCE!" he roared, and the whole class jumped again.

"Now . . . those three curses — Avada Kedavra, Imperius, and Cruciatus — are known as the Unforgivable Curses. The use of any one of them on a fellow human being is enough to earn a life sentence in Azkaban. That's what you're up against. That's what I've got to teach you to fight. You need preparing. You need arming. But most of all, you need to practice constant, never-ceasing vigilance. Get out your quills . . . copy this down. . . ."

They spent the rest of the lesson taking notes on each of the Unforgivable Curses. No one spoke until the bell rang — but when Moody had dismissed them and they had left the classroom, a torrent of talk burst forth. Most people were discussing the curses in awed voices — "Did you see it twitch?" "— and when he killed it — just like that!"(- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Page 210-218)

Harry himself was just feel faint around the edges. Sure, he forgave Tom after he promised on a Life Oath that he had been controlled in killing his parents, Harry still hated seeing their deaths. The reminder, even on a spider, made him want to just find a quiet place and just be alone.

He knew it wasn't healthy though, and that Neville was probably feeling the same thing, so he instantly grabbed his friend's robes and dragged him away from the classroom as fast as he could.

"Meet in front of Hufflepuff room for sleepover later," Harry shouted behind him toward Draco and Daphne who both nodded and knew to gather their friends.

From there, Harry dragged Neville away from their creepy as teacher that gave Harry warning signs, and only let go of him when they reached their common room. 

There, Harry sat Neville on the couch, momentarily left him to grab all their blankets from their beds and then their pillows. Dragging it out of their dorm and leaving the door open, Harry then dropped Neville's blanket and pillow on his lap before making a cocoon out of it around them.

After that was done, he asked for a House Elf and told the House Elf they wanted two plates brought to them for dinner when it came time, but for now they would like two hot chocolates.

Since they didn't have any classes, and he was sure the teacher would've let them off the hook if they did, Harry just wrapped his arms around Neville and allowed each other to soak in the comfort of the other.

Eventually though, word spread around Hufflepuff about Harry and Neville not reacting well to the unforgivable demonstration and all of Hufflepuff came early from dinner, grabbed their own blankets and pillows, before sitting around the two fourth years. Offering comfort and a body to lean on that wasn't just each other.

After dinner was over, one Hufflepuff went to their other entrance (that was known to the school) and let their friends in, in their own pajamas with blankets and pillows in their arm.

Everyone then had a giant sleepover to anyone who had been affected by the three unforgivables because of the war and had watched a demonstration.

It kept up for the entire week until all demonstrations for all years was over, even then, they spent most of the next week like it just in case anyone was still affected by Moody showing the class the demonstration of all the unforgivables.

Note: While I didn't particularly want to use such a large section from the book, you have to say that it really is a great lesson that I really didn't want to skip over because it really just is crucial for the series. I don't think Rowling really explained them before this point.

Word Count: 3847

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

305K 9.8K 97
When Lily has a favourite cousin who she considers to be the best sister she has who accepts her for being a witch more than Petunia and also be her...
114K 3.3K 13
Tom has been obsessed with Harry Potter ever since the ritual that gave him back his sixteen-year-old body. The boy was undeniably powerful and intel...
232K 9.2K 57
Percy Jackson lost his mother at a young age. From then on he was stuck with his abusive step-father, Smelly Gabe. He didn't have much. Just one good...
495K 16.4K 28
*NO GREEK MYTHOLOGY* Perseus 'Percy' Achilles Jackson was always in foster care. Never knew his real parents or how he got his powers of water and sh...